Week 2 B1G...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I'll get this started here late-night so we can get into some discussion...

Still working through the games but some quick impressions...

I expected Michigan to play well on offense and give up some points...both happened... Milton been my guy for awhile so glad to see a solid first start from him. The run defense needs some work on assignments, no doubt. Minny defense was about what I expected and obviously missing guys on oline sucked. I said lean over but definitely was thinking more like 31-27 kinda game. Michigan could of had 60's easily without missed FG's and the two last drives ending in zero points.

I said Michigan State would be bad... and they are... This was well known last year. The pandemic saves them from having to get whitewashed by BYU and Miami this season thankfully. I don't think they are as bad as a double digit loss to Rutgers, but that many turnovers will do that to ya. Good for the Rutgers program to get a 'road' win in conference and turn the corner ever so slightly. I saw bits and pieces of this game...what happened to Elijah Collins?? My goodness.

Ohio State and Nebraska is exactly how you thought it would go. I am curious what people thought of the Bucks running backs...I'll let @cubsker and others chime in more on this game as I saw nada so far.

Wisconsin rolled Illinois as it appears they may have taken a step back this year. Boxscores do not always tell the picture and I'll let @HUNT discuss the Badgers a bit more as he had some interesting takes that he relayed after the game.

Obviously the game of the week was the Indiana and Penn State game. The Hoosiers finally got that big win they have been looking for against the top of the conference. This is such an interesting boxscore to me as it 'looks' like Penix was very average and Scott didn't really do a lot. On the other side, Clifford was a lot of the offense running and passing for the Lions. I mean, Indiana had 211 total yards...Time of possession was 2:1...but turnovers were the equalizer.

Maryland is godawful...

Nice win for Purdue coming back late for the victory. I like this team to keep getting better this year. It was mentioned that with all the young guys getting time last year with injuries that it would prove to benefit this year. Iowa, on the other hand, just seems foreign to me. They still are near the top of the league on hyphenated players but there are a lot of names new to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week....

Discussion on Wisconsin Corona situation HERE

I'll start local. I know everyone will bet on Sparty due to line 'value'. I saw a twitter post today asking what line would have been preseason and I saw some baffling numbers to be honest (like 9.5 to 13.5 in many cases). With the venue change I would have had this at 17.5 minimum. Now, I am low on Sparty and actually a bit higher on Michigan than most (no homer, just feel great about Milton and one of the few that liked the OL more even with 4 new starters). Anyways, obviously last weeks results have thrown this line out of wack. Yes, the opener may have been a bit high but something like -20.5 would have been agreeable to me. We'll learn a lot more this week but I can easily see a 44-14 type game. The things that Michigan looked weak on defensively last week are not the strong suits for Sparty. Heck, this Elijah Collins thing really is a shock to me. Now, it is a rivalry but I don't know if CMT will have the same passion and hate as Dantoni did. He always had something up his sleeve. I'll come back to this more tomorrow night...

Minnesota should get healthy at Maryland. I'll wait for some @Timh thoughts but things look bleak right now. Can the offense do anything to entice an over bet here? The Minny defense is not good, again.

You see the immediate buy on the Purdue line at Illinois for good reason. No way I would touch it at the current number. I need to see Illinois again to get a full read on them.

Iowa and Northwestern should be a good battle. This line seems about right. I don't know how to feel about Northwestern yet, just due to the lack of competition in their first game.

The Wisconsin and Nebraska cap will be interesting as we await the Corona news on the QB's... obviously if you bet Nebraska early... congrats...

Primetime in Happy Valley...what a tough way for PSU to start the season. No white-out here and the Buckeyes should just outscore them...What are the thoughts on the PSU defense? Can they put together a few stops? The total seems like it got bet down pretty hard at open here.

The Indiana and Rutgers line presents serious value on Indiana IMO. Now, this is an interesting situational game with the big win last week. For me here, I really learn about the IU offense and PSU defense via this game... and hopefully that gives a clear cap for IU/UM in week 3. I'll be very interested in this game and likely invested as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, discuss away.... lets go false positive at Wisky and hope for another clean week of B10 football.

Should Maryland goes Lance Louisiana?

Rakim the dream? May be getting warmed up after 1 catch...

RB Noah Cain is out for the year for PSU. HUGE loss with Brown already out. I think OSU whitewashes them this weekend. No top two backs, out two LBs at least for first half...no white out to save them....only thing against it is that PSU actually lost last week so extra fight but shouldnt matter.

Regarding the 10 turnovers in the Rutgers - Michigan State game; Rutgers did convert 3 of their 7 gained turnovers into 21 pts (only gained 50 combined yards on those 3 scoring drives). To a lesser degree, MSU also benefited from 2 of their 3 gained turnovers converting those into 10 points (33 yards combined on those two scoring drives). There was actually an 8th MSU turnover, but it was called off by a Rutgers offside penalty. 1 of MSU's fumbles was near the red zone being the only one that really stopped a scoring threat they might've had. All 3 of Rutger's turnovers occurred in their own territory.

Rutgers O had the Big Ten's worst Red Zone TD % last year at 35%. In game one this year they were 4-for-4 scoring TDs in the RZ (they had 10 RZ TDs all of last year). MSU's RZ D TD allowed % last year ranked 4th best in the Big Ten.

NW is good but Iowa is usually big and strong and a beast with a long history of success at home. I love -2.5 here. Opportunities ahead for Northwestern but not on a short line after playing that crap Maryland team. Dont fall fo NW this week.

Iowa wins over 75% of the home games since 2000. Iowa has lost to NW the last 2 times at Kinnick. Can they make it 3x in a row?

These favorites are playable:
MSU@Michigan
Minnesota @ Mary
NW@Iowa

I like dogs so I wont touch that list above, that leaves :
Purdue @ ILL Don't know
Indy @ Rutgers Indy is 0-2ats @ Rut laying double digits in those games. dog possible
Wisc@Neb TBD dog possible
Ohio State @ Penn St. dog possible

To me this makes the most sense.

I have one worthless comment. I was kind of watching Wisconsin game. Before score got out of hand every little thing went Whisky way. Ball placement on 4th down. Penalties. This that the other. When game was in doubt Illinois was getting hosed and everybody seemed to be like whatever Wisconsin was going to win anyway.

I'm looking for more reasons to play Illini this weekend.

NW is good but Iowa is usually big and strong and a beast with a long history of success at home. I love -2.5 here. Opportunities ahead for Northwestern but not on a short line after playing that crap Maryland team. Dont fall fo NW this week.

Iowa wins over 75% of the home games since 2000. Iowa has lost to NW the last 2 times at Kinnick. Can they make it 3x in a row?

Van Sobel on VSIN had knowledgeable Big 10 network guy on today and he said he thought very highly of all parts of Northwestern football, including their special teams. Like the next level after tOsu. He kind of emphasized that in his opinion the takeaway should be not how bad Maryland may be but how good Northwestern is.

I forgot Schiano was Rutgers coach. Love or hate, solid as hell and probably the only person on the planet that wants to be coaching in NJ. I lean Rutgers.

That IU game was weird 100 different ways. I know IU has solid D and better O than they showed but this seems like letdown spot.

I have one worthless comment. I was kind of watching Wisconsin game. Before score got out of hand every little thing went Whisky way. Ball placement on 4th down. Penalties. This that the other. When game was in doubt Illinois was getting hosed and everybody seemed to be like whatever Wisconsin was going to win anyway.

I'm looking for more reasons to play Illini this weekend.

I can't wait to see how badly we get fucked by the refs on Saturday if this game happens. You know it's coming. Already started on Saturday. 3 targeting calls, 1 was reversed, 1 was complete bullshit, and the other was ticky tack. Terrible PI call, ticky tack hold that wasn't called both ways, a face mask penalty on our guy when he's being blatantly held. And all of this was for a team that needed zero help against us. I just know they're going to let the Wisconsin OL gang rape our DL.

I forgot Schiano was Rutgers coach. Love or hate, solid as hell and probably the only person on the planet that wants to be coaching in NJ. I lean Rutgers.

That IU game was weird 100 different ways. I know IU has solid D and better O than they showed but this seems like letdown spot.
No way I can get all these correct. Its just a game plan and my thinking. too early in the seaon for the big 10 for me to fully understand all these teams and making a solid read to tag them with a rating.

Fuck Wisconsin
Many more cancellations to come throughout.

They had a great plan with starting Sept 5th. Nope, no more.

Anyways, back to this weeks games...

Daxton Hill should be in for Michigan.

Hopefully Nordin is good to go after last week's performance from Moody on FGs.

Biggest loss might be Cheeseman, the longsnapper who opted out (yes, this is funny). That was part of the issue last week.

@B.A.R. How do you feel about Michigan back-ups vs Sparty starters? Because i think the full-game spread could come down to that especially since Michigan has two ranked opponents coming up and gets a rare opportunity in this game to play some backups.

@B.A.R. How do you feel about Michigan back-ups vs Sparty starters? Because i think the full-game spread could come down to that especially since Michigan has two ranked opponents coming up and gets a rare opportunity in this game to play some backups.
Good question.

On offense...I feel very good at all skill positions...and depth on OL is good.

Cade is a TBD...we didn't get enough last week. He was neck and next with DMC reportedly in camp this summer before Dylan opted out. But, it would be mostly running as is and they go deep.

Good question.

On offense...I feel very good at all skill positions...and depth on OL is good.

Cade is a TBD...we didn't get enough last week. He was neck and next with DMC reportedly in camp this summer before Dylan opted out. But, it would be mostly running as is and they go deep.

Does Milton still start if DMC doesn‘t opt out? I always strongly preferred watching DMC over Shea ever since that opener vs Notre Dame...would have liked to see him take the reins

Does Milton still start if DMC doesn‘t opt out? I always strongly preferred watching DMC over Shea ever since that opener vs Notre Dame...would have liked to see him take the reins
Yeah, Milton won the job this summer. That's why Dylan opted out.

He wants to be a starter at a P5 program. Good chance he transfers in conference as well.

Pressuring opposing quarterbacks will be tougher without starting outside linebacker Durrell Nchami. Locksley, who described the redshirt sophomore as one of the team’s best rushers, said Monday that Nchami had suffered “a high-level sprain” in the first quarter Saturday. On Wednesday evening, Locksley ruled him out for Friday’s game.

Steam just went to the under in Minnesota Maryland game at my site. Line now 59

Why?

Talk me out of NW+2.5

I don't know which is the right side in that one. But I will give you some thoughts:

Box score stuff vs Purdue:
Iowa outrushed them 195-104 (5.4-3.9)
Iowa outpassed them ypa 6.8 to 5.6, ypc 12 to 9.1 (PU had 17 more net passing yards)
Iowa outgained them ypp 6.1-5.0
Iowa had 10 penalties for 100y to PU's 3 for 21
Iowa fumbled at P16 and P28 (PU INT'd at P47 and I11)
Iowa scored 2 TDs on 5 RZ trips (2 FG and fumble)(PU scored 3 TDs on 5 RZ trips (FG and INT)

Think Iowa with a new QB playing for the first time didn't do all that bad really vs a respectable and experienced Purdue team. Iowa actually gained 98 more yards this year vs Purdue than they did last year, while Purdue only gained 26 more yards this game than they did last year. Iowa won last year 26-20. This year they lost 20-24. Some of the turnovers, where they occurred on the field, and not scoring TDs in the RZ cost them.

Northwestern is going to be substantially better on O this year. But I do think that Maryland's ineptitude on O contributed to how that game went. After Terps first drive of the game that went into RZ for a FG, Terps gained just 37 yards on their next 7 possessions all while NW was scoring either TDs or FGs on 7 of their first 8 drives. It just tells me one team was prepared and ready to play, one team was not. Basically I am faulting a very young and inexperienced Maryland more than I am crediting Northwestern, not that I want to make a point to discredit NW, again, they ware going to be much much better on O this year with a competent experienced QB and some new ideas from the staff and Cats D is almost always solid. I just don't think we can or should expect that every week when NW is playing better teams.

Having said all of that, I'd probably pick Iowa if I had to, but not sure I feel great enough about it to put real money on it.

What do you like about NW, maybe you can talk me into it?

Yeah I will have Illinois too. Pretty much the season for them to bury that disappointment and lackluster play from a week ago. If they flop I could see myself betting against them the rest of the season.

Rondale Moore is gametime decision? Or are people hearing he is out again?

David Bell was targeted 21 times last week! (13rec-121-3TD)!

Rambling man...

Apparently Maryland isn’t trash, or Minnesota is. Not sure what that means now for M...winning there seems less impressive now. Week 1 always a mind fuck. We know nothing

I already lied about my M (I’ll talk about them) now I’ll back them with line down to 21. Think Harbs out for blood here and has horses to do it, though more Sparty has nothing.

Talk me out of Rutgers at 13. IU looked like trash tbh, Jimmy F gave them that game. Just like Schiano at Rutgers, guy should have lifetime contract there. Should probably stay away, maybe tease. Hate college teasers, I’m sure they’ll shit the bed....

PT game PSU/OSU, meh. Line down to 10.5. Can only bet OSU here at 10 or less. PSU home or away has been only team to kind of have their # but then they Franklin and blow it. PSU off a loss, know season on line. Top two backs out, LB out first half, we know Micah done. Olave a go for OSU. PSU CB’s solid, problem will be containing Fields from running and PSU safeties stink in coverage. Deep OSU shots to Wilson should hit. Can always run screens on PSU D in any fashion. No white out, strange. Think PSU only shot is to grind game down and run Clifford but OSU LBs best in CFB. To answer, BAR, PSU should get a few stops, D is fairly solid, think they can contain run game, but so will OSU, both teams will have to pass and we know who will win out there..I’ll throw OSU in ML parlays and go under 64 here. Don’t see PSU getting over 20...Thinking 34-16/20. F it, laying 10, if it was white out I’d ML PSU at any cost.

OOC...POD is Cincy -6 (hook). Probably Cincy best team, ever. Should shred Mem D and hold em enough.

Having a Halloween party and juniors bday party all in one day. Drinking, bon firing, Buddy’s pizza buffet,bounce housing, piñatas, costumes. 35 people, how u like them apples, Gretch!

I’ll be dressed up as Macho Man Randy Savage since the boy is into wrestling these days. No way I was pulling off the Daniel Bryan in this weather (sorry, kid). Nothing means nothing, the cream always rises to the top, oh yeah can ya dig it. Might be all I say tomorrow, can’t wait.

Turn on your lights, pass out candy, you’ll make a kids day. These kids have sacrificed so much this year, let em have their fun!

BOL boys!

Last edited:
Sparty was what I thought they'd be in week 1. The Minnesota game tonight kinda dulled the shine on Michigan's big win last week, but I'm still more than happy to lay the points there. Didn't expect to see it drop *this*much, however - I'm sitting on a sweet -25 as I honestly thought this might sniff 4 TDs at some point. This is a BAD Michigan State team. I've been regularly fading Michigan in certain spots for the past few years largely because of their stale offense and relatively poor QB play but was really, really impressed with Milton (while acknowledging it's a 1-game sample size against a D that's give up 94 points through two games). I can legitimately see this being a 48-10 type of game.

I had Indiana +6.5 last week and watched the whole game. I wasn't following the stats and did feel Indy was fortunate but I didn't realize the yardage discrepancy until I read it here on Monday. I took a piece of Hoosiers -11 yesterday but have a bit of buyer's remorse despite some line value. I'll be interested in watching this one (not sure I ever thought I'd say that for an Indiana-Rutgers football game, but here we are).

Played Purdue -7 a few days ago thinking Moore was going to be back. Now it sounds like he won't be so far less confident and considering buying off.

Last play I made in the league was NW ML as a super short dog. I had the Wildcats circled this summer as the team most likely to to emulate Minnesota's run from last year, and week 1 didn't show me anything to change that despite Maryland being pretty bad and riddled with personnel issues (they did pick things up on offense tonight). Iowa's close win over a Moore-less and head coach-less Purdue team didn't do much for me and I'm willing to pay to be proven wrong that Northwestern is the better team on this field tomorrow.

Rambling man...

Apparently Maryland isn’t trash, or Minnesota is. Not sure what that means now for M...winning there seems less impressive now. Week 1 always a mind fuck. We know nothing

I already lied about my M (I’ll talk about them) now I’ll back them with line down to 21. Think Harbs out for blood here and has horses to do it, though more Sparty has nothing.

Talk me out of Rutgers at 13. IU looked like trash tbh, Jimmy F gave them that game. Just like Schiano at Rutgers, guy should have lifetime contract there. Should probably stay away, maybe tease. Hate college teasers, I’m sure they’ll shit the bed....

PT game PSU/OSU, meh. Line down to 10.5. Can only bet OSU here at 10 or less. PSU home or away has been only team to kind of have their # but then they Franklin and blow it. PSU off a loss, know season on line. Top two backs out, LB out first half, we know Micah done. Olave a go for OSU. PSU CB’s solid, problem will be containing Fields from running and PSU safeties stink in coverage. Deep OSU shots to Wilson should hit. Can always run screens on PSU D in any fashion. No white out, strange. Think PSU only shot is to grind game down and run Clifford but OSU LBs best in CFB. To answer, BAR, PSU should get a few stops, D is fairly solid, think they can contain run game, but so will OSU, both teams will have to pass and we know who will win out there..I’ll throw OSU in ML parlays and go under 64 here. Don’t see PSU getting over 20...Thinking 34-16/20. F it, laying 10, if it was white out I’d ML PSU at any cost.

OOC...POD is Cincy -6 (hook). Probably Cincy best team, ever. Should shred Mem D and hold em enough.

Having a Halloween party and juniors bday party all in one day. Drinking, bon firing, Buddy’s pizza buffet,bounce housing, piñatas, costumes. 35 people, how u like them apples, Gretch!

I’ll be dressed up as Macho Man Randy Savage since the boy is into wrestling these days. No way I was pulling off the Daniel Bryan in this weather (sorry, kid). Nothing means nothing, the cream always rises to the top, oh yeah can ya dig it. Might be all I say tomorrow, can’t wait.

Turn on your lights, pass out candy, you’ll make a kids day. These kids have sacrificed so much this year, let em have their fun!

BOL boys!
Great stuff...

Mmmmmmm Buddy's...

Busy weekend so quick thoughts...

Knew Minny defense sucked but dayummmm....

Michigan at 21 now should be a take...TT at 36 lean over... game over would lean....

OSU at 10 with no fans in H.V. seems fair enough...

Still would lean IU but not as much as I stated in the first post...

Good luck to all tomorrow.

I don't know which is the right side in that one. But I will give you some thoughts:

Box score stuff vs Purdue:
Iowa outrushed them 195-104 (5.4-3.9)
Iowa outpassed them ypa 6.8 to 5.6, ypc 12 to 9.1 (PU had 17 more net passing yards)
Iowa outgained them ypp 6.1-5.0
Iowa had 10 penalties for 100y to PU's 3 for 21
Iowa fumbled at P16 and P28 (PU INT'd at P47 and I11)
Iowa scored 2 TDs on 5 RZ trips (2 FG and fumble)(PU scored 3 TDs on 5 RZ trips (FG and INT)

Think Iowa with a new QB playing for the first time didn't do all that bad really vs a respectable and experienced Purdue team. Iowa actually gained 98 more yards this year vs Purdue than they did last year, while Purdue only gained 26 more yards this game than they did last year. Iowa won last year 26-20. This year they lost 20-24. Some of the turnovers, where they occurred on the field, and not scoring TDs in the RZ cost them.

Northwestern is going to be substantially better on O this year. But I do think that Maryland's ineptitude on O contributed to how that game went. After Terps first drive of the game that went into RZ for a FG, Terps gained just 37 yards on their next 7 possessions all while NW was scoring either TDs or FGs on 7 of their first 8 drives. It just tells me one team was prepared and ready to play, one team was not. Basically I am faulting a very young and inexperienced Maryland more than I am crediting Northwestern, not that I want to make a point to discredit NW, again, they ware going to be much much better on O this year with a competent experienced QB and some new ideas from the staff and Cats D is almost always solid. I just don't think we can or should expect that every week when NW is playing better teams.

Having said all of that, I'd probably pick Iowa if I had to, but not sure I feel great enough about it to put real money on it.

What do you like about NW, maybe you can talk me into it?

Northwestern is one them teams that usually play smart and pesty teams. SR QB and good Oline should keep them with a shot to win. IOWA off field stuff has thier minds everywhere

Last edited:
Rambling man...

BOL boys!
Amen!

Let the kids have their day!

F everything I said....I’d fire Harbaugh 4 hours ago. F him, absolutely unacceptable. Disgusting! Get rid of his ass, I’m f’n done.

Sparty was what I thought they'd be in week 1. The Minnesota game tonight kinda dulled the shine on Michigan's big win last week, but I'm still more than happy to lay the points there. Didn't expect to see it drop *this*much, however - I'm sitting on a sweet -25 as I honestly thought this might sniff 4 TDs at some point. This is a BAD Michigan State team. I've been regularly fading Michigan in certain spots for the past few years largely because of their stale offense and relatively poor QB play but was really, really impressed with Milton (while acknowledging it's a 1-game sample size against a D that's give up 94 points through two games). I can legitimately see this being a 48-10 type of game.

I had Indiana +6.5 last week and watched the whole game. I wasn't following the stats and did feel Indy was fortunate but I didn't realize the yardage discrepancy until I read it here on Monday. I took a piece of Hoosiers -11 yesterday but have a bit of buyer's remorse despite some line value. I'll be interested in watching this one (not sure I ever thought I'd say that for an Indiana-Rutgers football game, but here we are).

Played Purdue -7 a few days ago thinking Moore was going to be back. Now it sounds like he won't be so far less confident and considering buying off.

Last play I made in the league was NW ML as a super short dog. I had the Wildcats circled this summer as the team most likely to to emulate Minnesota's run from last year, and week 1 didn't show me anything to change that despite Maryland being pretty bad and riddled with personnel issues (they did pick things up on offense tonight). Iowa's close win over a Moore-less and head coach-less Purdue team didn't do much for me and I'm willing to pay to be proven wrong that Northwestern is the better team on this field tomorrow.
When I lose, I make it count. Mustered a 2-1-1 (should've bought off Purdue with +7.5, dammit!) but the loss was a -25 chalk that lost outright. Fun times. I don't even know what to take away from that game, or how to properly evaluate either team going forward.

When I lose, I make it count. Mustered a 2-1-1 (should've bought off Purdue with +7.5, dammit!) but the loss was a -25 chalk that lost outright. Fun times. I don't even know what to take away from that game, or how to properly evaluate either team going forward.
I have thoughts even though I saw around 50% of the game.

Kinda a 2020 kinda game?

I still think MSU is not good...

I'm very curious why you don't challenge a pass in 4th that hits ground before the game dealing TD.

Who knows?

Odd game. I guess my biggest thing is that I know UM corners are bad...but I didn't think MSU could do much to that. That was wrong. Big time.

I gotta get the stomach to actually watch then comment properly.

Back