Week 16 Parlay (Browns/Jets & Colts/Steelers) Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL Parlay for Sunday’s Games at +271 Odds

Cleveland Browns vs. New York Jets
Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1 p.m. ET at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey

Baker Mayfield

It would not be quite accurate to say that Cleveland quarterback Baker Mayfield has improved. But, his numbers are undeniably better.

In three of Mayfield’s last four games, he achieved a passer rating of over 110. The one exception came against Baltimore’s stiff defense.

Moreover, Baker has produced four of his five highest passing yardage totals in his last four games.

Mayfield’s numbers are stronger because he is having to drop back and go through his progressions less frequently.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski is having him execute a lot of play-action passes. The Browns execute this type of play with the fourth-highest frequency.

With Mayfield, they also do a lot of RPOs, rollouts, and other such plays that do not require the quarterback to simply drop back and throw.

When Baker does have to drop back and throw, he is typically able to lock onto his first read.

Also, Cleveland’s ground game allows Baker to encounter many single-high safety looks, which allow him to more easily hit his outside receivers on vertical routes.

For the above reasons, metrics have Baker pinned as the seventh-most accurate passer since Week 7 and the rate at which he makes turnover-worthy plays has fallen drastically.

So give Stefanski a lot of credit for gearing the offense to support Baker’s strengths and to disguise his weaknesses.

Browns Offense vs. Jets Defense

But even before Stefanski figured out many of these adjustments, Mayfield produced strong passing outputs against weaker secondaries like Cincinnati’s.

The Jet secondary certainly counts as weak. The Jets rank 30th in opposing passing yards per game.

Mayfield has faced two other defenses — Jacksonville and Tennessee -- which rank bottom-five in this category. He threw a combined total of six touchdowns to zero interceptions against those defenses and his pass completion rate was higher than his season average.

Cleveland’s running scheme will arguably be the toughest test that New York’s run defense will have confronted this season.

Nick Chubb is a big reason why. The NFL’s fifth-leading rusher, Chubb possesses uncanny speed for a man of his size and strength. He is elite at breaking tackles and is otherwise very hard to stop once he gets rolling.

Jets Offense vs. Browns Defense

By a strong margin, the Jet offense ranks last in averaging 14.7 points per game. So opposing offenses have little work to accomplish in order to ensure that its team covers the spread.

A big reason why Cleveland, in its last game, limited the Giants to three points was the return of top cornerback Denzel Ward.

Ward is clearly fit. This season, he’s allowing a 56.6 percent completion rate and 80.8 passer rating when targeted.

Obviously, the Jets lack weapons in the passing game. But Ward will be able to take away New York’s best one.

Ward’s absence had explained why Cleveland’s defensive weakness was against the pass.

But throughout the year the Browns have also had one of the NFL’s better running defenses.

So if Cleveland will be beat, it will be through the air. But Jet quarterback Sam Darnold has such a low YPA and passer rating and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns largely because he lacks weapons who can reliably get open.

Even top Jet targets like Jamison Crowder rank outside the top 50 among wide receivers in average cushion.

Situation

The Jets are on an emotional high after avoiding the disgrace of an 0-16 season.

They were able to beat the Rams because they built a nice lead against them. The Rams are not built to press forward and come back from larger deficits.

Cleveland will fully focus on New York, because it beat the Rams. Expect the Browns to dominate from start to finish with a balanced offensive attack and a well-rounded defense that improves massively with Ward back.

Indianapolis Colts vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1 p.m. ET at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Big Ben’s Struggles

Clearly, something is not right with Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

His throwing mechanics are off. Perhaps he’s compensating for some pain in his arm. Perhaps he’s just old and deteriorating. The correct answer is likely a mixture of both.

For whatever the reason, his passer rating has been 83 or lower in each of his past four games.

His arm issues prevent him from throwing a strong or accurate deep ball.

Instead, the Steeler passing game is focused on shorter throws. But defenses have adjusted and are taking those shorter throws away. Cornerbacks, for example, are sitting aggressively on opposing short routes.

If you also consider that the Steeler ground game is perennially unable to establish itself — Pittsburgh ranks 31st in rushing yards per game — then it’s easy to see why Pittsburgh has failed to reach 20 points in any of its last four games.

It has not mattered how bad the opposing defense is. Even when pressing from behind against the Bengals, Pittsburgh only mustered 17 points on Monday Night Football.

You can’t claim that Pittsburgh is “desperate” and will play better because it feels more “urgency.” If Pittsburgh wasn’t desperate on Monday Night Football after it had lost two games in a row, then when will Pittsburgh be effectively “desperate?”

Consider, anyways, that Pittsburgh has already clinched a playoff spot.

But the fact is that the Steeler offense is broken because of Big Ben’s struggles and its lack of rush attack.

Steeler Defense vs. Colt Offense

Pittsburgh’s superb pass rush will feast on the statue that is Colt quarterback Philip Rivers.

Rivers has been playing well recently while facing lower-quality secondaries who do not easily prevent opposing wide receivers from getting open and who mount minimal pass rush.

But Rivers’ worst games have come against teams who do blanket receivers and have guys who excel at attacking the quarterback.

Pittsburgh owns the NFL’s best sack rate because opposing offenses have to expend extra resources to account for TJ Watt, who leads the team with 13 sacks.

There are also guys like Stephon Tuitt, who has nine sacks so far, to account for.

One Steeler cornerback who will blanket receivers is Joe Haden, who allows a completion percentage lower than 50 when targeted.

Rivers and company have faced one top-five scoring defense so far, Baltimore, and it mustered all of 10 points.

Pittsburgh is likewise a top-five scoring defense because its pass rush is stacked with guys like Tuitt and Watt and because its secondary is anchored by top defensive backs like Haden.

Best Bet: Parlay Browns -8.5 at -108 & Colts/Steelers Under 44.5 at -108 at +271 Odds with Heritage

I don’t think Chubb gets talked about enough when we having the best back in league talk that revolves around Henry and cook! Chubb is a bad mofo. Throw in hunt and you got not only the best duo in the league but one the better duos I can ever recall!

A big reason why browns limited Gmen to 3 points is cause Gmen offense is awful! What was that goofy play on 4th down on giants 1st drive of the game which was actually solid? I think that asinine play set the tone for rest of the game!

I’ll tell ya what’s wrong with Ben, he washed the fuck up! Brady and brees have thrown off our expectancy for what happens when QBs get to this age! And coming off elbow surgery in Ben case! Healing not as easy the older you get! Especially when your idea of a workout regimen is 12 ounce curls and cardio that consist of chasing girls who say no! No means no Ben! Rehab doesn’t mean chilling with a beer!

Brees been able to extend his career cause his game is cerebral, he studies and knows what defenses are gonna do before they do! Brady isn’t human therefore doesn’t do any the things normal folks do that lead to their bodies breaking down!! Ben just aint either those things, he a backyard qb who’s talent has always masked his dislike of hard work! When you get to 38 and have chosen that route (no judgement here, I fall into the Big Ben category minus the sexual assault!) your talent is gonna fall off. We have seen this many a time and when they hit the wall it never a slow graceful decline, it goes from “wow look at him go” to “fuck, he needs to go”!! Steelers whole franchise had to cringe when he said last week he wants to play more “years”!! Lol

The bosses.
I think I said this before but I never actually parlay my plays...unless the parlay includes a favorite on the money-line.

you may have, i often get accused around my house of “not listening”! It not that I don’t listen at the time, I’m just selective when it comes to what information I choose to absorb! There only so much room up there ya know! Lol

I love me some parlays it just doesn’t feel like a good thing to suggest! “Do what I say not what I do” type of thing!

I wish I would just get paid for two articles because that‘s basically what it is...i‘m writing up two plays for the price of one and just calling it a parlay. Straight-up ofc I think these bets are great to make.

I wish I would just get paid for two articles because that‘s basically what it is...i‘m writing up two plays for the price of one and just calling it a parlay. Straight-up ofc I think these bets are great to make.

lol. That actually makes tons of sense considering I know who your bosses are!! Just a way for them to get 2 articles for the price of one!! Cheap mofos!

Nah I think that‘s a needlessly cynical take. It‘s also an extra article idea to assign to somebody so that the writers have more to write! They‘re good people.

what can I say, I’m cynical. Lol. I know lot the ppl over there but I don’t know who in charge of your area, and yea most the ones I know are good peeps.

Browns and colts gonna be two popular plays this week

im rolling with steelers just cause it a super hard bet to make, usually equals the right play in the nfl! Lol. Plus old man rivers hasn’t thrown a pick/committed a turnover in weeks, that bound to come to a hilarious end! What better team to bring out his worst than steelers defense who should be in a bad mood?!?

im rolling with steelers just cause it a super hard bet to make, usually equals the right play in the nfl! Lol. Plus old man rivers hasn’t thrown a pick/committed a turnover in weeks, that bound to come to a hilarious end! What better team to bring out his worst than steelers defense who should be in a bad mood?!?
As a titans fan I hope you’re right but I don’t see it

As a titans fan I hope you’re right but I don’t see it

i think colts have issues their own, fairly confident steelers can take the run game away and put it in rivers hands. The bigger question gonna be big dummy and the offense, he looks washed up to me. As horrid steelers have looked if Ben has anything left this just screams the get right game to me. If steelers lose this one I’ll be pounding browns in the final week! Regardless what happens steelers are 1 and done come playoffs, it be nice if they showed well these last few weeks to maybe build a little belief up and help get a better line to fade them on! As of now they pretty much dogs to every afc playoff team aint they?

Steelers cannot take away the run game. That is their weakness on D. They have better chance of taking away the pass. Good news is Indy not going to run RPO’s with Old Man Rivers in there. Don’t think it matters through. Trust Frank to figure out a way to exploit Pitt injuries on D. He had success last season against a better D with Brian Hoyer at QB.

Steelers cannot take away the run game. That is their weakness on D. They have better chance of taking away the pass. Good news is Indy not going to run RPO’s with Old Man Rivers in there. Don’t think it matters through. Trust Frank to figure out a way to exploit Pitt injuries on D. He had success last season against a better D with Brian Hoyer at QB.
I agree to an extent. I'm not even sure about the pass. Missing Bud Dupree has hurt pressure on the QB and allowed opposing QBs a bit more time. ON top of that, Alex Highsmith (R) has been vulnerable to making mistakes such as not picking up the back out of the back field and screens at times I feel. The last game you saw the Bengals run a lot to his side. Combine that with Marcus Allen, safety turned LB And missing Vince Williams....it was just misery.

Willams is back, but from what I've head/read is that Avery Williamson is strugglng a bit with this STeelers defense and not playing with instinct right now.

Part of me feels, that Ben may have gotten things a bit more right in the 2H of the game as the team did move the ball better, but an issue that still bothers the offense is that offensive line. If they can Protect Ben, I think the steelers offense comes to life, if they can't, then they will be in trouble and the Colts defense isn't a slouch either supposedly.

I know right? Seems too easy to take the Colts even at the ML at -124 I believe or somewhere around there. I was like -- should be easy money, but the Books usually aren't wrong most of the time.

A couple of weeks ago Big Ben was just cruising along and all of a sudden he is terrible? That offensive line is terrible, wrs dance more than they catch, no decent rb’s except maybe Conner. Big Ben is fine, I worry more about that oline.

What’s up with this line move?? I’m seeing Pitt-2 now. I have Indy -1.5. Figured the game will go to Indy -2, not the other way. I’m planning to add to my Indy bet and to throw them into a couple teasers. Any chance the line gets any better for me? I’m thinking this is the best it’s going to get, even with the locals here.

NFL Parlay for Sunday’s Games at +271 Odds

Cleveland Browns vs. New York Jets
Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1 p.m. ET at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey

Baker Mayfield

It would not be quite accurate to say that Cleveland quarterback Baker Mayfield has improved. But, his numbers are undeniably better.

In three of Mayfield’s last four games, he achieved a passer rating of over 110. The one exception came against Baltimore’s stiff defense.

Moreover, Baker has produced four of his five highest passing yardage totals in his last four games.

Mayfield’s numbers are stronger because he is having to drop back and go through his progressions less frequently.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski is having him execute a lot of play-action passes. The Browns execute this type of play with the fourth-highest frequency.

With Mayfield, they also do a lot of RPOs, rollouts, and other such plays that do not require the quarterback to simply drop back and throw.

When Baker does have to drop back and throw, he is typically able to lock onto his first read.

Also, Cleveland’s ground game allows Baker to encounter many single-high safety looks, which allow him to more easily hit his outside receivers on vertical routes.

For the above reasons, metrics have Baker pinned as the seventh-most accurate passer since Week 7 and the rate at which he makes turnover-worthy plays has fallen drastically.

So give Stefanski a lot of credit for gearing the offense to support Baker’s strengths and to disguise his weaknesses.

Browns Offense vs. Jets Defense

But even before Stefanski figured out many of these adjustments, Mayfield produced strong passing outputs against weaker secondaries like Cincinnati’s.

The Jet secondary certainly counts as weak. The Jets rank 30th in opposing passing yards per game.

Mayfield has faced two other defenses — Jacksonville and Tennessee -- which rank bottom-five in this category. He threw a combined total of six touchdowns to zero interceptions against those defenses and his pass completion rate was higher than his season average.

Cleveland’s running scheme will arguably be the toughest test that New York’s run defense will have confronted this season.

Nick Chubb is a big reason why. The NFL’s fifth-leading rusher, Chubb possesses uncanny speed for a man of his size and strength. He is elite at breaking tackles and is otherwise very hard to stop once he gets rolling.

Jets Offense vs. Browns Defense

By a strong margin, the Jet offense ranks last in averaging 14.7 points per game. So opposing offenses have little work to accomplish in order to ensure that its team covers the spread.

A big reason why Cleveland, in its last game, limited the Giants to three points was the return of top cornerback Denzel Ward.

Ward is clearly fit. This season, he’s allowing a 56.6 percent completion rate and 80.8 passer rating when targeted.

Obviously, the Jets lack weapons in the passing game. But Ward will be able to take away New York’s best one.

Ward’s absence had explained why Cleveland’s defensive weakness was against the pass.

But throughout the year the Browns have also had one of the NFL’s better running defenses.

So if Cleveland will be beat, it will be through the air. But Jet quarterback Sam Darnold has such a low YPA and passer rating and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns largely because he lacks weapons who can reliably get open.

Even top Jet targets like Jamison Crowder rank outside the top 50 among wide receivers in average cushion.

Situation

The Jets are on an emotional high after avoiding the disgrace of an 0-16 season.

They were able to beat the Rams because they built a nice lead against them. The Rams are not built to press forward and come back from larger deficits.

Cleveland will fully focus on New York, because it beat the Rams. Expect the Browns to dominate from start to finish with a balanced offensive attack and a well-rounded defense that improves massively with Ward back.

Indianapolis Colts vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 1 p.m. ET at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Big Ben’s Struggles

Clearly, something is not right with Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

His throwing mechanics are off. Perhaps he’s compensating for some pain in his arm. Perhaps he’s just old and deteriorating. The correct answer is likely a mixture of both.

For whatever the reason, his passer rating has been 83 or lower in each of his past four games.

His arm issues prevent him from throwing a strong or accurate deep ball.

Instead, the Steeler passing game is focused on shorter throws. But defenses have adjusted and are taking those shorter throws away. Cornerbacks, for example, are sitting aggressively on opposing short routes.

If you also consider that the Steeler ground game is perennially unable to establish itself — Pittsburgh ranks 31st in rushing yards per game — then it’s easy to see why Pittsburgh has failed to reach 20 points in any of its last four games.

It has not mattered how bad the opposing defense is. Even when pressing from behind against the Bengals, Pittsburgh only mustered 17 points on Monday Night Football.

You can’t claim that Pittsburgh is “desperate” and will play better because it feels more “urgency.” If Pittsburgh wasn’t desperate on Monday Night Football after it had lost two games in a row, then when will Pittsburgh be effectively “desperate?”

Consider, anyways, that Pittsburgh has already clinched a playoff spot.

But the fact is that the Steeler offense is broken because of Big Ben’s struggles and its lack of rush attack.

Steeler Defense vs. Colt Offense

Pittsburgh’s superb pass rush will feast on the statue that is Colt quarterback Philip Rivers.

Rivers has been playing well recently while facing lower-quality secondaries who do not easily prevent opposing wide receivers from getting open and who mount minimal pass rush.

But Rivers’ worst games have come against teams who do blanket receivers and have guys who excel at attacking the quarterback.

Pittsburgh owns the NFL’s best sack rate because opposing offenses have to expend extra resources to account for TJ Watt, who leads the team with 13 sacks.

There are also guys like Stephon Tuitt, who has nine sacks so far, to account for.

One Steeler cornerback who will blanket receivers is Joe Haden, who allows a completion percentage lower than 50 when targeted.

Rivers and company have faced one top-five scoring defense so far, Baltimore, and it mustered all of 10 points.

Pittsburgh is likewise a top-five scoring defense because its pass rush is stacked with guys like Tuitt and Watt and because its secondary is anchored by top defensive backs like Haden.

Best Bet: Parlay Browns -8.5 at -108 & Colts/Steelers Under 44.5 at -108 at +271 Odds with Heritage
You still like browns w all of bakers targets gone. I see hunt/Chubb getting 50 carries.

I know right? Seems too easy to take the Colts even at the ML at -124 I believe or somewhere around there. I was like -- should be easy money, but the Books usually aren't wrong most of the time.

I felt pretty dumb in the 1st half but then Ben actually started throwing it down the field!

Makes an ugly game even uglier.

what the hell been going thru Stephanski’s (im sure I butchered that name! Lol) head? I thought he was getting way to pass happy lately before this but throwing 50+ times with no wrs? I don’t care that the run game wasnt working or they got behind, you still gotta get Chubb and hunt way more touches in that game don’t ya? I really expected hunt to be a big factor in the passing game but they didn’t run anything for him! As much I love to bash Baker this was on the coaching staff imo. Just a terrible gameplan.

Back