Week 16 Game-by-Game Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
SNF: RAVENS

Baltimore’s fourth-rated pass defense in terms of opposing passer rating is a match for the Chargers. Baltimore has faced three other teams that boast a quarterback which ranks in the top 5 in QB rating—Kansas City, New Orleans, and Atlanta. The Ravens took KC to overtime, beat Atlanta and lost by a point in a late meltdown to New Orleans. Baltimore’s depth and quality in its secondary is elite, especially when one considers how unexceptional its pass rush is. Baltimore’s fifth-ranked run defense in terms of opposing YPC will be prepared for the return of running back Melvin Gordon.

The Ravens’ offense is much improved since its bye week. They all but ditched Alex Collins and instead focus on Gus Edwards and give Kenneth Dixon an added role. Edwards is a 238-pound bruiser who averages 4.8 YPC and is effective on the goal line and everywhere else. Quarterback Lamar Jackson also looks to keep his starting role in place of the lackluster Joe Flacco.

The Chargers are in a bad spot off a dramatic, playoff-clinching primetime win on the road and don’t enjoy any home field advantage. They’re 2-5 ATS in L.A.

SNF: SEAHAWKS

The Chiefs are now 0-3 ATS without Kareem Hunt. They’re getting less production out of their running backs because they have less depth and quality at the position. As a result, they’re less confident running the ball. In their past three games, they’re running it only 36% of the time, which ranks bottom-10 in the category, and are becoming more one-dimensional on offense.

Mahomes will get his lion’s share of production, but I think Seattle’s offense will be more effective because it will be more balanced. The weakness of Seattle’s pass attack is its vulnerability to sacks. But KC’s sack percentage is the sixth-lowest away from home. Russell Wilson has healthy wide receivers and Kansas City’s cornerbacks are worse than the numbers show because their ineptness has been masked by KC’s stronger pass rush at home. The Chiefs’ opposing passer rating is 104.7 on the road.

Seattle is a run-first team. It relies on a number of solid running backs, of which Rashaad Penny will hopefully return from injury. KC is second-to-last in opposing YPC. The Seahawks will use their balanced attack to control tempo and keep Mahomes off the field.

TITANS: Jacksonville’s awful offense masked how inept Washington’s D is. Skins rank 21st in opposing YPC. Titans are run-first, will run over them with Henry and shut down Washington’s injury-ridden offense.

RAVENS: Chargers in let-down spot after primetime, playoff-clinching victory. Ravens’ top-ranked defense will limit Chargers’ offense and its improved run-focused offense will keep the game close enough.

BROWNS: Cleveland can score, but Cincy can’t. Cincy will miss its starting QB, top wide receiver, and possibly its second-best receiver. Cleveland’s run D is allowing 3.8 YPC in its past three games.

COWBOYS: TB ranks last in opposing passer rating. It yields a 134 passer rating on the road. Dallas excels at home, where it can bounce back after last week’s embarrassing loss. Dallas is 5-2 ATS at home.

LIONS: Spoiler alert! Minny bounced back vs. an undermanned Miami team on the strength of its run game. But Detroit’s run D has been superb since adding Damon Harrison. Cousins continues to play awfully.

GIANTS: The Giants are still playing hard. It ranks sixth in opposing passer rating. Indy has laid clunkers lately when heavily favored and won’t cover after shutting out Dallas, before facing Tennessee.

DOLPHINS: The Jags play hard at home, but I don’t trust them to give effort on the road. Jacksonville is 1-4-1 ATS on the road. They have nothing left to play for, whereas Miami is still in the playoff hunt.

BILLS: NE doesn’t look like it should be laying this many points. Buffalo’s D is underrated. It ranks number one in opposing QBR and can limit Brady. NE’s run D is bottom-ranked and Buffalo is run-first.

JETS: Green Bay’s season is over and I can’t imagine it giving effort with nothing to play for. The Jets are a rebuilding team that is playing better with Darnold and would love one last big win at home.

EAGLES: Houston is an unconvincing road team, even after the Jets gifted them a cover. Philly’s beleaguered secondary has improved and its defense gets more pressure. Foles will carry Philly to victory.

FALCONS: Atlanta’s offense has awoken! Its D has, too, with Deion Jones back. Carolina comes off a deflating loss and its offense has failed to exceed 20 points in four of its past six games. Cam looks bad.

RAMS: Rams won first meeting 34-0. What has changed? Cards lost more offensive linemen and Christian Kirk. The Rams have struggled against two solid defenses and can bounce back against Arizona’s D

49ERS: The Bears clinched the NFC North with a revenge victory against rival Green Bay. They celebrated hard in „Club dub“ and will suffer a let-down on the West Coast. Fade the trappy road favorites.

SAINTS: The Saints get to be back home where they’ve scored 79 points in their past two games. Pitt has to travel after a huge win against New England. Pitt ranks 23rd in opposing QBR, Brees will explode.

SEAHAWKS: Chiefs are 0-3 ATS without Hunt. Seahawks are run-first and can thrive with their group of backs against KC’s bottom-ranked run defense. KC’s pass rush isn’t so effective away. Russell is clutch.

RAIDERS: Raiders suffered a let-down after upsetting Pitt, but are back home (for the last time) where they’ve been very competitive. Carr has been great and he will exploit Denver’s injury-ridden secondary.

I think if Seattle commits to the run and sticks with it, they will have success all game. The caveat here is if Eric Berry plays an entire game. It helps both the run D and the pass rush. Yards per play wise, Seattle's defense is the worse of the two and they have a negative net yards per play for the season. KC's yards per carry has gone down 0.3 yards per rush, but I didn't feel the same drop off to the Williams boys that i did to Ware.. Ware is a shell of his former self.. He needs to stay out.

If LA beats the Ravens, and the teams behind Seattle win, this will be a 12 round fight that goes the distance and should make for good TV

Chargers gotta have at least one if not both Gordon and ekler back in this one, they gonna need those guys in the passing game or rivers will be turning it over if forced to only throw to wrs. Really liking the under here, typically I like chargers d against the pass more so than their rush defense for obvious reasons, but seeing how they don’t have to respect Lamar passing I think we will see Lynn use those studs of his to put together a good plan to stop that rushing attack spearheaded by Lamar. No way do I see this being more than 24-20 and that feels high to me.,

I don’t like the letdown angle for chargers here, they get the mini bye and are now playing for home field seeing how kc prob gonna lose Sunday night imo. If chargers are legit Sb contenders which I think they are the defense will win this game for them imo.. I have no interest laying that number tho, I think it spot on personally.,

I agree that the line is right where it should be... I think too much is being made of Lamar and not enough regarding some of the other matchups... Balt's OL has allowed the 5th least sacks this season and LA is 25th in sacks (a shade low for the missing Bosa time, but their sack rate has gone DOWN since he began playing). I don't see why Gus Edwards won't get the job done as well. There is a decided Special Teams advantage as well with Balt being near the top as usual and LA being in the bottom tier. LA's OL has been very good as well and Balt's secondary will need to come up big as their rush D has been stout all year... This is going to be a fantastic game in my opinion.. LA has a chance to further cement their claim as the most complete team if they take care of business.

I agree that the line is right where it should be... I think too much is being made of Lamar and not enough regarding some of the other matchups... Balt's OL has allowed the 5th least sacks this season and LA is 25th in sacks (a shade low for the missing Bosa time, but their sack rate has gone DOWN since he began playing). I don't see why Gus Edwards won't get the job done as well. There is a decided Special Teams advantage as well with Balt being near the top as usual and LA being in the bottom tier. LA's OL has been very good as well and Balt's secondary will need to come up big as their rush D has been stout all year... This is going to be a fantastic game in my opinion.. LA has a chance to further cement their claim as the most complete team if they take care of business.

If chargers can win this game it puts a immense amount of pressure on your squad at Seattle under the lights!!! I think they can pull it out but no way im touching anything but the under 44.5.

If LA beats the Ravens, and the teams behind Seattle win, this will be a 12 round fight that goes the distance and should make for good TV
By my account, Seattle is basically in as wild card as long as they beat Arizona at home next week (would be 9-7 at worst). Washington will have already lost on Saturday, and Seattle holds tiebreaker over Eagles by conference record.

By my account, Seattle is basically in as wild card as long as they beat Arizona at home next week (would be 9-7 at worst). Washington will have already lost on Saturday, and Seattle holds tiebreaker over Eagles by conference record.

Yes you are correct. My point was that if Philly, Wash and Minn win, Seattle may feel more urgency given nothing is guaranteed in Week 17. I am more inclined to think Seattle feels it will win in Week 17.. Given how teams resting guys has flopped a bit in the past, Carroll may choose to use this as the week to rest some guys. Not sure.. We will find out a little more as the injury report comes out.

Best thing about the NFL, or has been anyway, is what "should" happen often doesn't. Hoping for a crazy last couple weeks.

Yes you are correct. My point was that if Philly, Wash and Minn win, Seattle may feel more urgency given nothing is guaranteed in Week 17. I am more inclined to think Seattle feels it will win in Week 17.. Given how teams resting guys has flopped a bit in the past, Carroll may choose to use this as the week to rest some guys. Not sure.. We will find out a little more as the injury report comes out.

There no way I buy for a second Seattle at home under the lights in spot they in doesn’t go all out to win this game.

There no way I buy for a second Seattle at home under the lights in spot they in doesn’t go all out to win this game.

Oh I am with you. I think KC will get Seattle's best effort. But when you are a 99% chance of making the playoffs and definitely are playing on Wild Card weekend, I'm surprised more teams do not rest Week 16 rather than 17... The Week 17 rest has done more bad than good for teams in my opinion.

Sort of unrelated but anyone like Darius Leonard to win DROY +140? His total sack and tackle numbers are unprecedented plus he’s forcing turnovers. He’s on pace to have the best season ever for a lb, better than any Lewis, Willis, Keuchly season

Sort of unrelated but anyone like Darius Leonard to win DROY +140? His total sack and tackle numbers are unprecedented plus he’s forcing turnovers. He’s on pace to have the best season ever for a lb, better than any Lewis, Willis, Keuchly season

Derwin James?

Derwin James?
James is the favorite at -220 and he is having an incredible year as well. But Leonard’s production stats are better, granted because he’s a LB. That being said, go look at some of the best LBs of all time and see if their best season is better than Leonard’s. You won’t find a season as well rounded (sacks, tackles, forced turnovers)

Oh I am with you. I think KC will get Seattle's best effort. But when you are a 99% chance of making the playoffs and definitely are playing on Wild Card weekend, I'm surprised more teams do not rest Week 16 rather than 17... The Week 17 rest has done more bad than good for teams in my opinion.

Makes sense, kinda misunderstood your original post I guess... just don’t think many teams looking to get in as wild card have that luxury in week 16, if they not already locked in they certainly can’t rest guys week 16 and assume they will win week 17. Resting guys week 17 when you have a bye coming been mostly a horrible idea imo. Can’t say for teams that are playing wc weekend as no examples of that really coming to mind.

Back