Week 13 What Are We Learning

I guess Tennessee decided to take out their frustrations on Vandy!

Vandy +13.5 & ML :pointandlaugh:

Y’all know what’s going to happen. It’s inevitable. And I’m here for it
Oh, the narrative is all set.

If USC loses next week, and this happens, the CFB playoff better not try and schedule them and Jorja on opposite sides of the bracket.

Colorado should just shut down their program. I watched the first snaps I've seen of them this year today and they are God-awful. I don't see a turn around in sight.

Sonny Dykes has a potent offense!

Against what was the best defense in the league. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think the Iowa State defense was thought very highly of, very well regarded this season - now it might not be fair, because....TCU only had 377y (5.5) but had 62 pts!

I know more Ohio State fans than I can count. I live in Ohio. I do not immerse myself in all things Big Ten or Ohio State, I don't read message boards or follow any tweets or anything.

Today was the first time I have heard the "Jim Knowles was brought here for this game" and I heard it on two occasions on two different networks. To my knowledge that was never a thing. I thought Jim Knowles was brought to Ohio State so average teams wouldn't gash them and score on them like what happened in 2020 and 2021.

But if that is true, if that man was brought there for one reason, for one game, well - hot damn they just made the Michigan offense look like the second coming of the 2005 USC Trojans, and respectfully, 2022 Michigan offense is not that good. But they were today and that is all that counts.

Did anyone hear Shane Beamer's halftime interview walking to the locker room. Man was he confident. He said they were going to win, he said it more than once. Never heard a coach that confident when losing as a big underdog at half time. South Carolina has some weaknesses, but man, beating Tennessee and Clemson back-to-back - that is fucking awesome!

UMass led 7-0... lost 7-44

GT led 7-0 and Georgia only led 10-7 HT, but they got it to 37-7 before Tech added a late one

Lia looked like he got hurt 1H, was walking gingerly, left game, but came back out to play 2H

Spencer Rattler > DJ Uiagalelei ... Rattler did throw a pick-six and was called for grounding in the EZ resulting in a safety. But, DJ was just 8-29-99-1-1 passing while Rattler went 25-39-360-2-2. S Car outgained them 414-336

Georgia State lost another game they had a lead in, Panthers have had several close losses this year and snap a streak of 3 straight winning seasons

Notre Dame going for 2 on their final TD which would've made it a 9 pt game with 1min to go was an interesting decision as if they made it would've covered most 2H lines of Notre Dame -.5

Zay Flowers became Boston College's all-time TD receiver with :07 left in the game, the TD also gave BC the cover. BC led 17-6 in the 4th, but were trailing 17-32 with about 1-1/2 minutes left

FIU threw a pick-six leading by 1 with 3min left in the game, MTSU hung on to win

Nevada was throwing in the EZ in the final seconds in a 5 pt game vs UNLV

UTSA got their first and only lead of the game on a FG with :03 left vs UTEP

Memphis threw an INT in the EZ in the final seconds in a 3 pt game

It was early, but I thought Michigan was close to the ropes a little when it was 10-3 OSU, they all-out-blitzed and McCarthy threw left to Cornelius, Cam Brown missed the tackle and 69y later it was 10-10. That changed the complexion of the game. A game that Michigan didn't appear to be particularly competitive in flipped on one play. OSU had controlled the game to that point (129-49 1H yard edge 1Q). Ohio St converted 4-of-5 3rd downs in the 1Q, they converted 1 of their next 11 over the other 3 quarters.

It was early, but I thought Michigan was close to the ropes a little when it was 10-3 OSU, they all-out-blitzed and McCarthy threw left to Cornelius, Cam Brown missed the tackle and 69y later it was 10-10. That changed the complexion of the game. A game that Michigan didn't appear to be particularly competitive in flipped on one play. OSU had controlled the game to that point (129-49 1H yard edge 1Q). Ohio St converted 4-of-5 3rd downs in the 1Q, they converted 1 of their next 11 over the other 3 quarters.
I think the commentator said it when he talked about all those Buckeye defenders feeling emasculated after last year‘s game and wanting revenge. They ran out of energy with which to be physical as Michigan dominated them in manly fashion, literally running them over in the 2H as they did to Penn State. The Buckeye secondary lapses were another bonus surprise.

So funny you write this. Bet 400 early on on Michigan to win b10 at average of 7 to 1. Pays 2800. Always planned to hedge as thought osu was better especially with Corum out. But osu ml was too expensive this week so decided to look Live. It got up to -500ish during 1q but ended up hedging out of the bet fully at -300 ish right before that first Michigan td pass. Osu had stuffed the 1d and 2d runs for no gain. Honestly thought osu was going to blow them out at this point. then boom next play 70 yard td and like you say completely different game. 1 play and im kot hedging anymore. Still will win a little if Michigan beats Purdue. If Purdue upsets them then disaster loss. Going forward i never plan to make futures bets again, especially if part of a hedge plan. Not worth it unless a very high reward return possible

That being said hold ticket for USC to win nc that pays 8k that i bet last summer. again plan was to hedge if they got into playoff. Now maybe ill hedge if they make final. Not next week ir semifinal.

Painful lesson

I just learned that Michigan media relations doesn't have one of those press conference backdrop screens. You know the ones that has the school logos and some sponsor names. They measure like 8 x 10 feet or something and it is the backdrop you see behind the players/coaches talking. Doesn't everybody have their own screen they put up in press conferences? Michigan players and Harbaugh were on camera in front of an Ohio State screen. Weird.

If USC plays Gorga in the Semi’s Dawgs will put up 50.
We need Dawgs, Michigan, TCU AND…………………….. ………………………………………….. Bama

Swiney is one stubborn guy, wow. Give Klunnik all the reps this week, name him your starter for the title game, give him a chance to get immersed, and watch him make big contributions. Uiag just isn't any good.
Inexplicable:

On the subject of inexplicable, Brian Kelly had no answers for why his team was lethargic and almost disinterested. Big, big head scratcher.

Caleb Williams is the best player in the country.

TCU isn't the most talented team in the country but it's the fastest. So many players on that team that can just burn.

OSU paid Jim Knowles $1.9MM for that secondary? Wow.

Last edited:
Correct. If LSU couldn’t get up for last night, I seriously question a win vs UGA. Against the spread, still not sure.

I don't agree. I think it was a hard spot for LSU to get up for. Being that I'm generally picking underdogs I either see, or I pretend I see, ways in which those dogs can be motivated. I think it was difficult for LSU to match A&M's emotions last night. It was Texas A&M's most important game, in a supremely disappointing season, at home, while LSU's most important game is next week, not this game. LSU saw a team with 7 losses that struggled to beat UMass in an empty stadium and Tigers get to play for a SEC Title next week. That's difficult for kids to focus on the task at hand and match what A&M is going to bring to the game.

Compare it to last year. LSU is 5-6 and hosting #14 Texas A&M. LSU just had a ho-hum game vs ULM the week prior, they were on a 3 game SEC losing streak. But LSU beat them.

That's the stuff that happens all the time in college football, teams that shouldn't win do and it often happens because one team is super up for it and the other team isn't. If LSU and Texas A&M were scheduled in a rematch next week who would you pick? Straight up, I'd pick LSU for sure. If that game is November 5th instead of November 26th I feel really good that LSU wins that game.

For me, it doesn't effect how I project them vs Georgia at all.

I don't agree. I think it was a hard spot for LSU to get up for. Being that I'm generally picking underdogs I either see, or I pretend I see, ways in which those dogs can be motivated. I think it was difficult for LSU to match A&M's emotions last night. It was Texas A&M's most important game, in a supremely disappointing season, at home, while LSU's most important game is next week, not this game. LSU saw a team with 7 losses that struggled to beat UMass in an empty stadium and Tigers get to play for a SEC Title next week. That's difficult for kids to focus on the task at hand and match what A&M is going to bring to the game.

Compare it to last year. LSU is 5-6 and hosting #14 Texas A&M. LSU just had a ho-hum game vs ULM the week prior, they were on a 3 game SEC losing streak. But LSU beat them.

That's the stuff that happens all the time in college football, teams that shouldn't win do and it often happens because one team is super up for it and the other team isn't. If LSU and Texas A&M were scheduled in a rematch next week who would you pick? Straight up, I'd pick LSU for sure. If that game is November 5th instead of November 26th I feel really good that LSU wins that game.

For me, it doesn't effect how I project them vs Georgia at all.
All that’s a fair enough. If BK wants to win national championships like the last 3 coaches here, can’t have those kind of games there.

Not just hoping for Sugar Bowls here.

8 is kind of a low bar to put a tweet out about. 8-4 as a bar for those teams is not celebration worthy. How about 10+ over a number of consecutive years?
You think 8 is a low bar?

Only 4 teams meat this criteria.

How many years in a row has Alabama won 10+ wins in a row? Now that is impressive

Yes, and it says that even when those teams have an off year they still maintain some level of good play over that period. 8 wins for those caliber teams though, it's really nothing to celebrate or note - multiple 8 wins years by those teams could be fireable, so hard to really want to draw attention. It's a low standard for teams that aspire to be perennially great.

8 is kind of a low bar to put a tweet out about. 8-4 as a bar for those teams is not celebration worthy. How about 10+ over a number of consecutive years?

It would presumably be the same list without Michigan wouldn’t it? They mentioned yesterday that Alabama has 10+ wins every year since 2008. That’s insane to even think about.

It would presumably be the same list without Michigan wouldn’t it? They mentioned yesterday that Alabama has 10+ wins every year since 2008. That’s insane to even think about.

yeah, that is the kind of stuff that really really makes me appreciate the greatness of Nick Saban and what he has accomplished.

If it is a tweet that listed the teams who have won 10+ since xyz year, that is something, not 8.

yeah, that is the kind of stuff that really really makes me appreciate the greatness of Nick Saban and what he has accomplished.

If it is a tweet that listed the teams who have won 10+ since xyz year, that is something, not 8.

That tweet could have used 10 wins though and it would have been Bama, tOSU, and Clemson as they’ve all won 10+games since 2015. I’m pretty sure they used 8 to show how crazy it is that no one outside of those 4 has even 8 wins a year.

tOSU has won 10+ every year since 2012 and Clemson has done it since 2011 in addition to the Bama streak I mentioned already.

I always get curious about stuff like that. Slide the year to 2016 or 17 and what are the results? Is there agenda for having certain teams listed?

Wisconsin has won 8 every regular season since 2009 except for 2018 when their 8th win came in the bowl.

I always get curious about stuff like that. Slide the year to 2016 or 17 and what are the results? Is there agenda for having certain teams listed?

Wisconsin has won 8 every regular season since 2009 except for 2018 when their 8th win came in the bowl.

Was 2015 the year the BCS went away?

Wow, check out the 8+ win run Oklahoma had before this season - just like the other schools, 8 isn't good though.

If they would've included the 2014 regular season than Michigan wouldn't have made the list. So they can't say "in the CFP era" - I think the list was made to include Michigan with those teams.

We need to go the other way. Most consecutive seasons of teams not winning 8 games.

My Lobos have 8 wins since Sept 21, 2019.

Back