Week 12 Writeups and Hopefully Feedback

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
Another bad week last week, 5-7-1. I thought I had found some value in some of the group of 5 games, but that turned out to be a laughable premise as the likes of UTEP, Georgia Southern and FIU all shit the bed hardcore for me. All you can do is move forward, right? Total record since posting this year is now 16-19-1. It's been a long time, I think 10 years plus since I've had a sub .500 season, but since I got a late start, I'm going to need to have some big weeks to avoid it this year.

Friday: 1. Purdue -2 @ Minnesota: Although Jeff Brohm has been money on the road, it's mostly as an underdog, as Purdue seldom is in the role of a road favorite. Also a little concerning is that Purdue has never won at TCF Bank Stadium (0-5). A play on the Boilers makes some sense here though, as Minnesota is an absolute shell of what they were last year, and previous years for that matter. This is most notably on the defensive side, as they have just been steamrolled by opposing run games, but their passing game with Tanner Morgan has been a significant departure from last year as well, when it was one of the most efficient passing attacks in the country. This year, although Tanner Morgan has had some success, they are only 63rd in yards per attempt, and Morgan has a weak 4/4 TD/INT ratio. After stumbling around against Illinois a couple weeks ago, the Purdue defense got back on track somewhat against Northwestern last week, limiting the Cats to less than 300 total yards. They've been pretty stout against the run, and have held their own against the pass so far. As for Purdue's offense, the relevant question for them is this: Can you line up and hand it to your running back and gain yards? If so, you'll be fine against this Gopher defense, who can't stop opposing running back if their lives depended on it. Opposing RBs have averaged better than 7 yards per carry in every game this year, capped off by Iowa's Sargeant/Goodson due who went for 231 yards on 29 carries. Purdue has unimpressive stats in the run game, but a close look at the box scores will tell you than Zander Horvath has actually been pretty solid running the ball this year with 2 100 yard efforts including a 21-124 performance against an excellent run D in Iowa. If Jeff Brohm hands it to him 25 times, he'll likely break his career high this week. Also keep in mind that even though I don't bring up Minny's pass defense because their run D is so terrible, you should know that Aiden O'Connell is likely to have a great game against what amounts to the 105th ranked pass defense in the country. *****This line just moved to +1 for Purdue, so I added some additional units on it. The likely reason is that QB Aiden O'Connell is a game time decision, but backup Jack Plummer doesn't amount to much of a drop off here as he started their game against Minny last year and played well enough to score 31 points. Plummer is competent. If this goes off with Purdue as a dog, this becomes an even better play IMO, as Brohm is 7-1 in that role.

2. Indiana +20.5 @Ohio State: Obviously, the fact that every Tom Dick and Harry in the college football media is beating Tom Allen's door down in order to fellate him and his Hoosiers concerns me, but if I'm going to be at all loyal to my handicapping principles, I have to play Indiana in this spot. I know Ohio State is likely to be one of the best teams in the country this year, but especially on defense, they haven't played like it. Ohio State (in a small sample size, but not against what we would call scintillating competition) ranks 50th against the run and 42nd against the pass, a far cry from the dominant squad they sported last year. They also aren't really running the ball effectively, and Indiana has been strong against the run, which could make OSU a bit one dimensional. Offensively, Indiana has not been good on a per play basis, but they have 4 playmakers who have been around and are capable of making winning plays. I don't think Indiana has much of a chance at the outright, but I can certainly see them playing well and grabbing the cash at 20.5. The Hoosiers have covered 5 straight in Columbus, and although they probably have the Buckeyes attention more than they usually do, those covers weren't much of a sweat.

Last edited:
Another one for Friday (tonight)

3. New Mexico +10(-120) @ Air Force: This moved back to +9.5 at one of my outs, I think you can find that just about anywhere. Both of these teams are terrible on defense, but a closer look tells you that almost all of UNM's problems on defense have been against the pass...they are actually ranked 13th in the country in rushing yards per carry against. They've just been torched through the air, something that Air Force occasionally is competent in doing, but not this year. Air Force is well below average both against the run and the pass, so I think the Lobos will be able to move the ball on them. Rocky Long has a ton of experience defending the option, especially Air Force's over the years, so I think this is a pretty good matchup for the Lobos. Since I can get 10, I went with it.

Twitter suggest Rondale Moore is playing and the line jumped when that was posted. Looks like Plummer is starting at QB. Line up to Purdue - 2 1/2 at most places.

Last edited:
Another one for Friday (tonight)

3. New Mexico +10(-120) @ Air Force: This moved back to +9.5 at one of my outs, I think you can find that just about anywhere. Both of these teams are terrible on defense, but a closer look tells you that almost all of UNM's problems on defense have been against the pass...they are actually ranked 13th in the country in rushing yards per carry against. They've just been torched through the air, something that Air Force occasionally is competent in doing, but not this year. Air Force is well below average both against the run and the pass, so I think the Lobos will be able to move the ball on them. Rocky Long has a ton of experience defending the option, especially Air Force's over the years, so I think this is a pretty good matchup for the Lobos. Since I can get 10, I went with it.
I had the same analysis but as i went deeper too much was tied to UNM playing bad running teams / teams who primarily pass. I ended up on UNM TTunder so lets see a 20-17 type game my friend

The Boiler defense has really sucked major cock in 1h, hope Brohm whipped on them at halftime.

Yeah bad luck losing a possession at the end of the half on the blocked FG too. Too bad the TD got overturned. Minny hasn't really stopped Purdue and they only had 10 points at the half. No drop off to Plummer, so that's good.

4. @Arkansas +1.5 v LSU: How is it possible that a team can be a 42 point favorite in one season, and then the next season, is basically a pick em against that same team? Well, when you lose the Heisman winning first overall pick, a stud receiver, the top running back chosen in the draft, your entire defense, the mastermind of the best college football offense of at least a decade, and arguably the best defensive coordinator in college football all in the same offseason and find yourself left with Ed Orgeron as your primary braintrust, that pretty much explains it. (Sorry for the hideous run on sentence). Ultimately, I'm taking Arkansas and a couple points because I think they're the better team. So far this year, LSU has beaten only Vandy and South Carolina, while losing to Missouri, Auburn in a woodshed beating and MISSISSIPPI STATE. They are giving up gobs of yards, and can't run the ball to save their lives. Under Sam Pittman, Arkansas is going in a totally different direction, having beaten Tennessee and Ole Miss while having a game stolen from them at Auburn. They've been competitive on both sides of the ball due to the solid coordinator hires of Kendall Briles and Barry Odom. HC Sam Pittman returns after a week in exile from COVID, and it's obvious that his players have responded to him. This appears to be a game between teams with two totally divergent mindsets, and I think Arkansas might enjoy a bit of a coaching mismatch as well.

I was just thinking today that in college football, if a referee is going to call offensive pass interference, he better damn well make sure it's legit, because that call is probably the most damaging of all the calls he can make. That Minnesota game was just decided because a ref felt incidental contact was worth taking a score off the board AND moving Purdue back 15 yards. Shame on Plummer for panicking and tossing that ball up for grabs, but that call was the game. That and two blown FGs within 32 yards.

5. @Texas St +6 v Arkansas St: Here's a degenerate special for you. Texas State is only 1-7, but I think they have a great shot to win this one against an Arky State team that since shocking Kansas State early in the season, hasn't gotten much of anything done lately. When on the road, they've given up points by the bushel, and I see these two teams as pretty evenly matched. having said that, I think Texas State's offense will be less challenged than vice versa, as the Red Wolves pass defense has been helpless and the Bobcats should be able to run it on them as well. Although they have a worse record, I think you can make a solid case that TSU has been the better team lately, and I'm getting 6 points and the home field.

6. Cincinnati -5 @UCF: There's an adage that you either plan on streaks or sit them out, but never go against them. I made that mistake last week after riding the Bearcats to covers the previous 3 weeks. There's been a precedent that's been sent, and unfortunately for UCF, Cincy has figured out how to handle these high powered AAC offenses while at the same time torch those teams' leaky defenses. As we all know, Cincy is second in the nation in yards per play against, and they're equally adept against the pass and the run. . Although most of the emphasis in this game is the unstoppable force/immovable object dynamic of the UCF offense vs the Cincy defense, we also have to remember that the Bearcats are 13th on offense in yards per play as well, and it's likely that UCF is going to struggle getting off the field. In fact, unless UCF plan to score about every other time their offense hits the field, they're going to have a hard time keeping pace in this one. This is the biggest game of the year for Cincinnati, and if they shit the bed here, all the work they've done this year will go down the crapper. I'd be stunned if they don't put forth a top effort, adn UCF already has 2 losses, so they might lose interest once the initial adrenaline wears off. I also suspect that the Fickell/Heupel matchup might be a bit of a mismatch. I'm gonna ride with the Bearcats here.

7. Wisconsin -7(-120) @Northwestern: It's very rare that you'll see me fading the Cats, but in this case, I think it's warranted. Northwestern thrives on capitalizing on the opponents mistakes just out executing other teams, but now they are facing what might be a better version of themselves. The Cats boast a great defense, but they meet their match with this Badgers outfit. Not only that, but the Badger offense looks significantly more likely to move the ball on this Wildcat defense than vice versa. Since an initial 500 yard explosion in the opener against Maryland, the Cats have averaged less than 300 yards per game in the last 3, and now they figure to do no better against this Badger defense. They certainly won't be able to run it on them, so it'll be up to Peyton Ramsey. Offensively, although Northwestern's defense is very sound, Paul Chryst always finds ways to move the ball. It just seems to be a bad matchup for the Cats, especially since home dog is not a great spot for them over the years.(3-5-1 since 17), while the Badgers are 10-3 as a road favorite over that same time period.

8. UCLA +17 @Oregon: Interesting one here, as Chip Kelly makes his way back to Oregon after a decade long hiatus. I have to admit I was really surprised to see what happened in that game vs Cal this past Sunday. I'm a fan of Cal QB Chase Garbers, but that team was just not ready to play. They only gained 176 total yards, which is hard to do in this day and age. Nontheless, UCLA was standing on the other side of the field, so they had something to do with such a horrific performance. In it's first 2 games, Oregon 113th in yards per play, 99th in rush D and 94th in stopping the run. It's a small sample size,, but UCLA has been good on offense in both of their games. I think Oregon is going to have a hard time getting them off field, and it's hard to cover a big number like when you're struggling they keep kicking off to you.

9. San Diego State -1 @Nevada: I realize that Nevada has looked good, but like the Aztecs, their numbers have been built against some piss poor squads. Nevada's defensive numbers look good against the likes of UNLV and Utah State, but they are a departure from what the WolfPack usually puts up. This isn't the case for the Aztecs, who have a strong tradition of good defense and an effective running game. I also like the fit for Brady Hoke at SDSU, especially after the dominant run he had there before he took over at Michigan. Both teams are likely to have all kinds of trouble throwing on the other, but SDSU has the edge in the running game on both sides of the coin. I aslo like that this game is in Nevada, as I've sworn off the Aztecs at home. On the road, SDSU is 12-5 in its last 17 roadies, so this is a role they like.

I wouldn’t dare caution a play against LSU at this point. However, the 21 day layoff, the knowledge that they realize this is 1 of only 2 winnable games would give me pause. I think the Over is a better play but Arky could roll. The biggest concern should be the COVID impact on Arky. We found out today that they had just enough players available to make this game possible. The thought is several DL starters won’t suit up. And the OL sounds like it will also be heavily impacted. I expect both teams to score in the 30s and turnovers to ultimately be the factor that decides a fun game. Great stuff as always. Love Cincy and the Over as points should be plentiful all 4 quarters. Good Luck kind sir.

I had the same analysis but as i went deeper too much was tied to UNM playing bad running teams / teams who primarily pass. I ended up on UNM TTunder so lets see a 20-17 type game my friend
Well, Rambler.....I think that is the definition of nailing it right there. Thinking a team total under is the smart play and watching that team get shut out...lol it doesn't get any better than that. Great job, and I continue to completely blow on weeknights.

DTR is rumored to be a no-go due to contract tracing
Thanks for the info s--k. I had not heard that at all. That's obviously a big deal. I'll have to decide if I cancel that one out, but I think I might just let it ride.

I wouldn’t dare caution a play against LSU at this point. However, the 21 day layoff, the knowledge that they realize this is 1 of only 2 winnable games would give me pause. I think the Over is a better play but Arky could roll. The biggest concern should be the COVID impact on Arky. We found out today that they had just enough players available to make this game possible. The thought is several DL starters won’t suit up. And the OL sounds like it will also be heavily impacted. I expect both teams to score in the 30s and turnovers to ultimately be the factor that decides a fun game. Great stuff as always. Love Cincy and the Over as points should be plentiful all 4 quarters. Good Luck kind sir.
Thanks PNG. I had heard rumors about COVID stuff with Arkansas, and looked everywhere to see what I could find about Franks in particular. I guess it happens with every program. It's made handicapping a lot more difficult thats for sure. These writeups are mostly for fun though and I want to find at least a few games. The toughest thing about this year especially is that I can poke holes in almost every side I'm considering. We'll see what happens.

10. @Oklahoma State +7 v Oklahoma: Although Oklahoma has figured things out in their last few games, this Oklahoma State defense is easily the best one they've faced...it's the rare legitimate good Big 12 defense as they are 9th in the country in yards per play , 9th in passing yards per attempt against and 4th in 3rd downs. Spencer Rattler is getting better, but he still has proven that in tight games against good competition, he's been a bit of a step down from the virtual perfection they had at the position since Riley has been there. Oklahoma's defense isn't as terrible as they've been the past couple years, but OSU QB Sanders should be able to move the ball on their pass defense. I also have a feeling that Chuba Hubbard is due to break out and have a nice game. For me, on paper these teams are evenly matched, so I will take the 7 with the home team here.

11. Kansas St +12 @Iowa State: I was planning on passing on this due to the fact that K State hasn't been worth a shit since QB Skylar Thompson went out, but I feel the siren song of trusting Chris Kleimann to figure out a way to get some offense going after a couple weeks of pondering things. Defensively, the Wildcats are solid, especially against the pass. Iowa State is vulnerable in that area, so if they can get anythiing going and find a way to stop Breeece Hall, they'll be in this one. Also, it can't be ignored that both of these teams are in roles that helps this play, K State is 10-5 in it's last 15 as a road dog, and Iowa State is a bad home favorite (6-10). The Cyclones find ways to struggle in situations like this, so I'll take the points here.

12. Liberty +4.5 @ NC State: I made the mistake of chickening out when Liberty was a big dog to Virginia Tech because I was scared off by the notion that VT would run all over the Flames D line, but it didn't end up mattering. My numbers on paper said that Liberty had a chance for the outright, and it's even more strong in this game, despite the line value crashing down to earth. NC State carried the mail for me last week, but I just don't see them as a team that can play the role of "solid legit squad that buries the upstart". Liberty's only real weakness as I mentioned is their run D, but NC State doesn't run the ball worth a damn (96th in ypc). Liberty has a solid edge in just about every other head to head category I look at, so I'm not going to make the same mistake again. I'll ride with the Flames here.

ISU has a huge game in Austin next weekend and Texas got (another) bye week with the Kansas cancellation. Cyclones jus wants to get out of this game today as healthy as possible and with a win. Smells like a 24-17 type game.

Thanks for the writeups.

The last thing anybody wants to hear is some asshole complaining about gambling losses, but in my 20+ years of regular sports gambling, that might have been the worst 3 day stretch of college football raping that I've ever taken. I'll spare everyone the details but I think I could write about a 10 page dissertation on it. (Kansas State notwithstanding). I didn't write it up on here, but I was victimized by in game shenanigans of Tulane and had Rutgers, Liberty, Illinois, and Ga Southern in a Round Robin parlay that ended up paying zero. 4-8 this week...what a shit run. With the way things have been going, I wouldn't blame anyone for fading at this point, so I'll keep going. Thanks to everyone who chimed in this week.

The last thing anybody wants to hear is some asshole complaining about gambling losses, but in my 20+ years of regular sports gambling, that might have been the worst 3 day stretch of college football raping that I've ever taken. I'll spare everyone the details but I think I could write about a 10 page dissertation on it. (Kansas State notwithstanding). I didn't write it up on here, but I was victimized by in game shenanigans of Tulane and had Rutgers, Liberty, Illinois, and Ga Southern in a Round Robin parlay that ended up paying zero. 4-8 this week...what a shit run. With the way things have been going, I wouldn't blame anyone for fading at this point, so I'll keep going. Thanks to everyone who chimed in this week.
I feel equally discouraged after this past week, the Purdue and Cin games will stick in my craw for a while. I also caught what I thought was a great number on FL TT at 41.5 and couldn't win that bet either after FL fucked around in the 1H. Just a bad week overall, I think we need a short memory and move ahead. BOL this week Brass.

It's all good Bro. I read your in depth take on your choices religiously and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

This has been a very frustrating year for me, and I'm sure others, as well.

I admire your brass balls just for posting and owning up to those you lost...

:shake:

Back