Week 12 What Are We Learning

I get that it was fun, and it’s Senior day, but I can’t imagine a much more reckless decision from Kirby Smart than allowing Jordan Davis to carry the ball not once, but twice, so he can score a TD. Kirby will be the reason this team doesn’t win it all this year

Everyone should run fake punts and FGs on Alabama
For real. The man who was responsible for the guy who caught the TD got blocked by the ref on that play, though not sure it would have mattered. No clue why they weren't in a safe formation with a true freshman kicker going for a 50 yarder into the wind. Maybe Pole Assassin's BF will be available for next season

For real. The man who was responsible for the guy who caught the TD got blocked by the ref on that play, though not sure it would have mattered. No clue why they weren't in a safe formation with a true freshman kicker going for a 50 yarder into the wind. Maybe Pole Assassin's BF will be available for next season
WHEN we get a coach….Bama should take aim at LSU’s guy. I would if I was on the Death Star

I get that it was fun, and it’s Senior day, but I can’t imagine a much more reckless decision from Kirby Smart than allowing Jordan Davis to carry the ball not once, but twice, so he can score a TD. Kirby will be the reason this team doesn’t win it all this year

Lol. I don’t think it was all that egregious. You either way too uptight or just hating. So what he let the kid score a td, seemed to make him happy. It a game it supposed to be fun.

If they don’t win it all it be because dominant defense can no longer beat explosive offense in this era. Facing bama then osu at some point should be a intersting case study in this, don’t think it will have anything to do with him letting his kids have some fun. I know we can play the “what if” game but kid could just as easily get hit by a bus 2marro as hurt himself running the ball a few times.

Last edited:
Lol. I don’t think it was all that egregious. You either way too uptight or just hating. So what he let the kid score a td, seemed to make him happy. It a game it supposed to be fun.

If they don’t win it all it be because dominant defense can no longer beat explosive offense in this era. Facing bama then osu at some point should be a intersting case study in this, don’t think it will have anything to do with him letting his kids have some fun. I know we can play the “what if” game but kid could just as easily get hit by a bus 2marro as hurt himself running the ball a few times.
A human that large is only getting tackled by the defenders going low on him. Yeah it was fun and I get that. Kirby didn’t get hired to have fun. This is the same guy that ran a fake punt on 4th and 10 at midfield of a tie game with a spot in the playoffs on the line, so no, I don’t trust him. But I agree about elite offense beating elite defense. Either Alabama or ohio st, or both, will force UGA’s offense to have to keep up, and I don’t think they’ll be able. Bennett has been a nice QB for them, but if you watch their games, he just can’t make the throws that will be needed to win a championship.

16 noon kickoffs, favorites went 12-4 with 2 of the 4 underdogs coming in the FBS vs FCS games, and one was UMass and the other was FSU+3, which was also the only upset. For me in FBS, nothing like getting the day off to an 0-8 start with a multiple combinations of 1st/2nd/game/ML stinkers.

I'm sure that must be the worst start to a Saturday I've had to deal with, in my head, pretty sure I lost four figures on the noon games!

Underdogs rebounded to go 15-11 with 5 outright upsets in the 1:00-5:30 kickoff window.

Night games went 7-6 Fav-Dog with 4 of the 6 being outright winners.

I've never been so thrilled to only lose a little over 3 bucks.

There were two big swing games for Regular Season Win Totals that I was involved with from yesterday. Auburn Under 7 and Utah Over 8.5 had been on life support for weeks. With one week to go, both look in good position to end the year.

LSU put forth one of the most pathetic efforts I have seen this year. I normally don't expect the same thing to happen week-to-week in this sport, the opponent and situation of final home game with Coach O will lead to a more interested LSU team, I would assume (?), but I still think it is more likely they get soundly beat by aTm if that is anything close to how they play next week.

Can UM’s defense stop Ohio State, at all? Ohio State didn’t look good vs Penn St. But since then they haven’t not scored a TD on a possession in which they were actually trying.

Dude they were playing a directional school and absolutely dominating the game.

players live for this kind of stuff that he did for the kid - and I am not saying just the kid, I am saying the whole team.

it sounds like you perhaps don't like kirby because he left your staff, are a bit envious of their success this year, or maybe you know they are going to snuff out your CFP plans this year when they take you down by double digits in Atlanta.

whatever it is, it is pretty apparent you are overreacting, big time.

Can UM’s defense stop Ohio State, at all? Ohio State didn’t look good vs Penn St. But since then they haven’t not scored a TD on a possession in which they were actually trying.

i would not trust the Buckeye D either. weather issues notwithstanding, i think both offenses will move the ball effectively on the other guy..

Dude they were playing a directional school and absolutely dominating the game.

players live for this kind of stuff that he did for the kid - and I am not saying just the kid, I am saying the whole team.

it sounds like you perhaps don't like kirby because he left your staff, are a bit envious of their success this year, or maybe you know they are going to snuff out your CFP plans this year when they take you down by double digits in Atlanta.

whatever it is, it is pretty apparent you are overreacting, big time.
I have watched Alabama lose multiple starters over the years in these games against FCS opponents, so maybe I'm a little battered by that. I am in no way jealous of anything UGA, though I would love Alabama's defense to play like theirs this year. I'd be more surprised if they beat us by double digits than if we beat them by double digits. I don't believe you can win with a less than elite offense in this era. UGA is basically LSU under Les Miles, though they are more willing to actually try to play offense, they just are limited at QB. They may beat Alabama, but I don't think thy can beat Ohio St

I have watched Alabama lose multiple starters over the years in these games against FCS opponents, so maybe I'm a little battered by that. I am in no way jealous of anything UGA, though I would love Alabama's defense to play like theirs this year. I'd be more surprised if they beat us by double digits than if we beat them by double digits. I don't believe you can win with a less than elite offense in this era. UGA is basically LSU under Les Miles, though they are more willing to actually try to play offense, they just are limited at QB. They may beat Alabama, but I don't think thy can beat Ohio St

FWIW and might not be much - I believe this GA 2021 edition would be favored by at least 4 pts maybe more than that over Ohio State on a neutral field.

I would take Georgia straight up any team in Athens, on the other's team's home field, or a neutral.

that defense is second to none - they are so physical, so fast, so disciplined.

they have enough playmakers on O to keep everyone honest.

their special teams are amongst the best in the country. don't forget that special teams accounts for 1 out of every 6 snaps or so it is an integral part of the game.

i am a Sooner fan not a Bulldog fan, so i am pretty "battered" and "salty" myself, but this GA team is The Real Deal IMO and have two very capable QB's.

they have one of the best defenses i have seen in many years.

They’ll definitely be favored over anyone on a neutral this year. But I’ve seen this team many times over the last decade because it looks exactly like what we had in Tuscaloosa 2008-2018. I think 2016 Alabama is the closest comparison, and we saw how that turned out
FWIW and might not be much - I believe this GA 2021 edition would be favored by at least 4 pts maybe more than that over Ohio State on a neutral field.

I would take Georgia straight up any team in Athens, on the other's team's home field, or a neutral.

their special teams are amongst the best in the country. don't forget that special teams accounts for 1 out of every 6 snaps or so it is an integral part of the game.

i am a Sooner fan not a Bulldog fan, so i am pretty "battered" and "salty" myself, but this GA team is The Real Deal IMO and have two very capable QB's.

They’ll definitely be favored over anyone on a neutral this year. But I’ve seen this team many times over the last decade because it looks exactly like what we had in Tuscaloosa 2008-2018. I think 2016 Alabama is the closest comparison, and we saw how that turned out

IMO this Georgia D is so good that they literally handcuff offenses and take everything away.

your 2011 Tide D is the closest thing i've seen under Saban, to this Dawg Defense of 2021.

you had many other great defenses there, but not the pure overall dominance like this, IMO.

other great D's in history I've seen with my own two eyes that rival this 2021 Georgia D were ones like:

- 1992 BAMA
- 1991 Washington Huskies
- 1987 Miami Hurricanes

I am talking generational types of defenses that you rarely see in this day and age.

note the 3 above were all within 6 seasons from 1987 to 1992...

Last edited:
Hard to compare different eras. The 2011 Alabama team allowed less than 200 yards/game and under 3.4 ypp. Just silly stats, though offenses, particularly in the SEC weren’t nearly as dynamic. That’s why I use 2016 Alabama as a comparison, not just for defense, but offense too. As a statistical measure, this UGA defense is better, but if you look at the teams they played, I think it’s pretty even

Hard to compare different eras. The 2011 Alabama team allowed less than 200 yards/game and under 3.4 ypp. Just silly stats, though offenses, particularly in the SEC weren’t nearly as dynamic. That’s why I use 2016 Alabama as a comparison, not just for defense, but offense too. As a statistical measure, this UGA defense is better, but if you look at the teams they played, I think it’s pretty even
Not really. The East is pretty weak.

Not really. The East is pretty weak.
look at who georgia has played. they've played schools who have moved the ball on basically everyone else except them.

they complete shut these teams down, and every one of them has a good O.

- arkansas
- auburn
- kentucky
- florida
- tennessee

i am not a Bama/Saban hater at all, and in fact i respect them greatly for what they do each year.

i love Bryce Young, the kid is from Mater Dei HS in OC, CA just 20 mins from where I live. i am a fan.

however, i believe this Dawg D is going to shut them down like no other team this year has been able to.

i think Georgia is going to win by double digits, and handily.

i think they will relish the oppty to play and beat Bama, and shut them down in the process.

this is Georgia's year, you can feel it.

Did he get hurt on one of those plays?

Last edited:
16 noon kickoffs, favorites went 12-4 with 2 of the 4 underdogs coming in the FBS vs FCS games, and one was UMass and the other was FSU+3, which was also the only upset. For me in FBS, nothing like getting the day off to an 0-8 start with a multiple combinations of 1st/2nd/game/ML stinkers.

I'm sure that must be the worst start to a Saturday I've had to deal with, in my head, pretty sure I lost four figures on the noon games!
So did I. It was a disaster, with the most damage coming from unduly large bets on 2H team totals. How the hell can NMSU socre 16 in the 1H and then fail to score in garbage time?

I was astounded to see that I won my last 15 bets of the day (mostly $50 a pop, including multiple live bets on the Pitt/UVA over) and still lost $1200.

Last edited:

I agree with all that.

IMO this Georgia D is so good that they literally handcuff offenses and take everything away.

your 2011 Tide D is the closest thing i've seen under Saban, to this Dawg Defense of 2021.

you had many other great defenses there, but not the pure overall dominance like this, IMO.

other great D's in history I've seen with my own two eyes that rival this 2021 Georgia D were ones like:

- 1992 BAMA
- 1991 Washington Huskies
- 1987 Miami Hurricanes

I am talking generational types of defenses that you rarely see in this day and age.

note the 3 above were all within 6 seasons from 1987 to 1992...
And Clemson in 1990 might have been better than all of them. But you can hardly call them generational if they're arising almost every year.

And Clemson in 1990 might have been better than all of them. But you can hardly call them generational if they're arising almost every year.

True.

I will say that I have not seen a D this physical, fast and disciplined in quite some time. Feels like a generation right now LOL

look at who georgia has played. they've played schools who have moved the ball on basically everyone else except them.

they complete shut these teams down, and every one of them has a good O.

- arkansas
- auburn
- kentucky
- florida
- tennessee

i am not a Bama/Saban hater at all, and in fact i respect them greatly for what they do each year.

i love Bryce Young, the kid is from Mater Dei HS in OC, CA just 20 mins from where I live. i am a fan.

however, i believe this Dawg D is going to shut them down like no other team this year has been able to.

i think Georgia is going to win by double digits, and handily.

i think they will relish the oppty to play and beat Bama, and shut them down in the process.

this is Georgia's year, you can feel it.
I agree that Georgia is far and away the best team and if they can't win a championship this year they probably never will.

Last edited:
Did he get hurt on one of those plays?
No. I guess I'm just being an angry old man yelling at the clouds. He left the Tenn game the week before and didn't return, so I thought he was a little banged up and to let him run twice seemed foolish to me with what's on the line for them in the coming weeks. I'll go back to keeping the neighborhood kids off my lawn

With all of these coaching openings, I wonder if Dan Lanning gets a look somewhere? Not only is their defense exceptionally talented, they play with an urgency that I would love to see on our team from everyone not named Will Anderson

Bama 2011 is a better defense. Maybe even LSU 2011

statistically, i don't think so. also, with my eye test having watched both of the schools in question in 2011 and then GA 2021, i still don't think so.

the SEC offenses GA is shutting down today (i named them above) are much better overall than what LSU and BAMA played in 2011.

those two schools had great D's that year, no doubt about it, but if you are putting your LSU glasses aside when you watch GA shut down BAMA on Sat 12/4, i think there will be no choice but to to say GA is simply better on D (this year) than anyone we have seen in the SEC in decades.

BAMA has had great defenses under Saban but this particular GA team is a different beast altogether because there is literally NO weakness anywhere on that side of the field. they lost a great LB and simply plugged in another guy and did not miss a beat.

With all of these coaching openings, I wonder if Dan Lanning gets a look somewhere? Not only is their defense exceptionally talented, they play with an urgency that I would love to see on our team from everyone not named Will Anderson

i think he is clearly a rising star but will need to do this at least one more year for other schools to truly believe he is the architect of the D and the schemes and not just Kirby.

statistically, i don't think so. also, with my eye test having watched both of the schools in question in 2011 and then GA 2021, i still don't think so.

the SEC offenses GA is shutting down today (i named them above) are much better overall than what LSU and BAMA played in 2011.

those two schools had great D's that year, no doubt about it, but if you are putting your LSU glasses aside when you watch GA shut down BAMA on Sat 12/4, i think there will be no choice but to to say GA is simply better on D (this year) than anyone we have seen in the SEC in decades.

BAMA has had great defenses under Saban but this particular GA team is a different beast altogether because there is literally NO weakness anywhere on that side of the field. they lost a great LB and simply plugged in another guy and did not miss a beat.
They shut em down in a couple weeks I’ll be very very impressed

I think the one thing holding me back is that UGA hasn't faced an elite QB yet. I don't think they've faced even a very good one yet. Yeah those offenses you mentioned have been pretty good, but they are all run-first offenses that plays right into what UGA does best

I do think there is a relative weakness in the secondary for UGA. It hasn't mattered because the DL and LBs get to the QB so fast and they haven't played a QB that can consistently win with the deep ball.

Statistically, 21 UGA and 11 Alabama are pretty even. Alabama gave up about 50 less yards per game, but about a half point more on the scoreboard. Different eras of offensive football for sure though. Despite the statistics, I think '16 Alabama was the best defense we've had under Saban

I think the one thing holding me back is that UGA hasn't faced an elite QB yet. I don't think they've faced even a very good one yet. Yeah those offenses you mentioned have been pretty good, but they are all run-first offenses that plays right into what UGA does best

I do think there is a relative weakness in the secondary for UGA. It hasn't mattered because the DL and LBs get to the QB so fast and they haven't played a QB that can consistently win with the deep ball.

Statistically, 21 UGA and 11 Alabama are pretty even. Alabama gave up about 50 less yards per game, but about a half point more on the scoreboard. Different eras of offensive football for sure though. Despite the statistics, I think '16 Alabama was the best defense we've had under Saban

as you've mentioned, much more dynamic offenses now in the SEC than just 10 years ago.

provided you survive the Iron Bowl (no Bo Nix so your chances went up) you will get your chance in The A.T.L. to show the country how great your O is and how "overrated" their D just might be.

or, it will be the other way around and the greatness of the Georgia D will be confirmed.

this will be fun!

as you've mentioned, much more dynamic offenses now in the SEC than just 10 years ago.

provided you survive the Iron Bowl (no Bo Nix so your chances went up) you will get your chance in The A.T.L. to show the country how great your O is and how "overrated" their D just might be.

or, it will be the other way around and the greatness of the Georgia D will be confirmed.

this will be fun!
I never said they were overrated, i just said i want to see it against an elite offense before i crown them the best defense in the history of tackle football

Looking at some basic type box scores from last week.

BC outrushed FSU by 56y, but FSU outpassed BC by 47y - flipped expectations

SMU passing was only 15-26-66y!

Washington had 84-426 play-TY to Colorado's 52-183! UW lost by 3, were also -4 TOs

CSU outgained Hawaii 651-535, lost by 5

ILL outgained Iowa by 67 yards, lost by 10 (Iowa ST and D TDs)

Kentucky passed for 459y!

ULL won 42-14, only outgained Liberty 296-293. Liberty was -6 SIX TOs! Two weeks ago Liberty was -3 TOs at Ole Miss. -9 in last two games!

Monroe outrushed LSU 118-92

MTSU had 25-11 FD and 414-341 TY edge, lost by 7

Ole Miss only outgained Vandy 470-454. Vandy rushed for 49att-213!

Ohio outgained Toledo 445-401, lost by 12

Iowa State outgained OKlahoma 362-306, ISU lost 3 TOs, lost by 7

TCU ran for 327 on Kansas, had 493-379 TY edge, only won by 3

UNLV had 394-290 TY edge, lost by 8

UAB ran for 220y to UTSA's 52 and UAB outgained them by 94y, lost in final seconds

Nebraska gained 452y - Wisconsin D was allowing just 211 ypg prior

Clemson completed 12 passes, 6 to Fr WR Collins and 4 to TE Allen. Kobe Pace got more carries and yards than Shipley

Back