Week 11 What Have We Learned

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Post your thoughts!

I‘ll stop: Florida‘s defense has by all appearances completely stopped giving a crap. Not that it wasn‘t already broken under Grantham, whose days in Gainesville are surely numbered.

I always think of the Lou Holtz quote from his coaching days that he would say often "you get a different team every week". Some teams might be more consistent than others, but there are so many variables effecting team A and team B in a given game results, performance, effort, efficiency can vary wildly week-to-week. It is so many different teams each week, teams not playing up to their potential or recent results, teams playing way over their heads in some kind of once a year kind of game. In a way it is what makes college football so exciting and why I love it, but when trying to predict results...good luck.

Bucknell was +51 and covering all game, until they weren't when Army scored TD with 4 minutes left to win by 53

Conventional wisdom is when at home, when viewed as the superior team, keep extending the game and eventually those advantages should prevail. Memphis does not prescribe to this philosophy, choosing to go for 2 in the bottom of the 1st OT and failed. East Carolina has covered 6 straight and 3 in a row straight up!

If you had South Alabama, look away. South Alabama was at the App 9 yard line 2nd down in a 17 point game when they threw an INT and it was returned 100y for TD with just 2-1/2 minutes left. App State won 31-7 and only outgained South Bama by 61 yards yet won by 4 scores.

Georgia capped a 11p 90y drive at the end of the 1st H with a 23y TD pass :37 left to go up by 14 at halftime (-11)

Texas Tech was leading ISU by 17 before having to nail a 62y game winning FG

Minnesota had to go for a 4th-17 from their own 3 yard line with 2:24 left, failing of course, allowing Iowa to kick a FG with :41 left to win by 5.

Frank Gore came out as a wildcat QB, played the entire 1st H vs UTSA as a wildcat QB as Southern Miss kept the ball for 21 minutes in the 1st H. He attempted 3 passes and completed 2. Game was 10-10 HT, then 17-10 USM after a 34y pick-six! Game was 17-17 mid 4th Q, UTSA won by 10 ending the game at the USM 2 yard line, if you had the 2nd H UTSA -15 that was a kneel down you didn't want to see.

UNLV has a winning streak

UTEP has a losing streak

Colorado State has lost 4 in a row straight up and ATS

Arizona Wildcats have covered 4 straight

Kansas has beat Texas 2 of their last 5 games. Among the two losses, KU only lost one by 2 and one by 7.

Washington started the last two games strong vs Oregon and vs Arizona State, only to fade in the 2nd H. ASU scored 3 straight TDs, capped by a pick-six to get ahead of the spread with just :32 left! But after that TD ASU would be hit with two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and UW was actually able to score a TD with :03 left to take back the cover. UW actually recovered the onside kick, but threw short on their final play incomplete. The game had just 52 points with 1min left to go, they scored 2 TDs in the final 40 seconds (total was 57.5)

UCLA scored 34 unanswered points starting with a FG before HT. They got ahead of the spread on a punt return TD

Last edited:
The fans there and at Baylor both started chanting "SEC SEC", of course not as many in Austin.

I am a Texas alum....was rooting for Kansas. Love when Texas loses, we deserve it

I'm a pretty (very) cynical Texas alum / fan but I've never loved it when we lose. Elaborate on why you do.

I'm a pretty (very) cynical Texas alum / fan but I've never loved it when we lose. Elaborate on why you do.
B/c starting about 30 years ago I know/knew quite a few of the guys involved in the large financial support of the Texas athletic program. They were always exercising control and trying to micromanage the football program. It was a large part of their lives (they were all very wealthy). Well, we have seen how that has gone.

I would hate to be head coach in Austin. You'd never get a moments peace. I cannot imagine the number of telephone calls, emails etc you would get each week. More than 1/2 your job would be trying to keep them happy and you would never succeed. And, look where we are now.

B/c starting about 30 years ago I know/knew quite a few of the guys involved in the large financial support of the Texas athletic program. They were always exercising control and trying to micromanage the football program. It was a large part of their lives (they were all very wealthy). Well, we have seen how that has gone.

I would hate to be head coach in Austin. You'd never get a moments peace. I cannot imagine the number of telephone calls, emails etc you would get each week. More than 1/2 your job would be trying to keep them happy and you would never succeed. And, look where we are now.

I understand where you're coming from. So many cooks in the kitchen.

DKR had it right. Willie and a few others close to him, and that's it. But as years went by more and new facilities required capital and funding, Brown completely opened up and changed the landscape of. the coach / donor relationship. Everyone of the latter was on his speed dial. Regardless of how bad a strategist / tactician he was, Brown mastered the art of the CEO. Strong didn't have the mindset or personality, anywhere near, to handle that. Herman was just an unbridled asshole who's idea of donor relations was showing up at ACC drunk and in cargo shorts to play a round of 18.

It's the last thing he needs, but at this rate Sarkisian may soon be drunk again soon if not already.

This much I know - the guy who had the winning catch last night for Kansas would struggle to be a line cook in our athletics dorm. That's how far down the tubes Texas football is. And I don't see a path to getting above water. We're on year 12 now of mediocrity or less and I don't see that changing.

Last edited:
It’s amazing what happens when a team blitzes more than 7% of the snaps. That’s 2 weeks in a row for LSU. Without tons of starters.

Tells me O had his fat fingers on this defense way too much.

Peetz is an awful coordinator and isn’t ready for this stage at all.

I understand where you're coming from. So many cooks in the kitchen.

DKR had it right. Willie and a others close to him, and that's it. But as years went by more and new facilities required capital and funding, Brown completely opened up and changed the landscape of. the coach / donor relationship. Everyone of the latter was on his speed dial. Regardless of how bad a strategist / tactician he was, Brown mastered the art of the CEO. Strong didn't have the mindset or personality, anywhere near, to handle that. Herman was just an unbridled asshole who's idea of donor relations was showing up at ACC drunk and in cargo shorts to play a round of 18.

It's the last thing he needs, but at this rate Sarkisian may soon be drunk again soon if not already.

This much I know - the guy who had the winning catch last night for Kansas would struggle to be a line cook in our athletics dorm. That's how far down the tubes Texas football is. And I don't see a path to getting above water. We're on year 12 now of mediocrity or less and I don't see that changing.
It’s something. I can’t figure it out but it doesn’t seem to matter who the fuck coaches

It's a soft, entitled country club. We don't care about hardware anymore, and haven't for a long time. It's about money and class.

Unfortunately, nothing is going to change.

Last edited:
Do we think dawgs defense lived up to the hype? I cashed another team total under on their opponent but they did give up 17, one the scores was garbage time when the game was already over so 10 to a good vols offense pretty impressive, shut them down after 1st qrtr, but I did hear on radio today hooker missed some wide open guys deep? I didn’t get to see game so I’m just box score diving.

James Franklin is terrible and will never win big games. The pussified call early on 4th and 1, with a gadget play throwing to the kicker just shows how he doesn't get it overall! Showed no confidence in his team to run their best play and get a first down. Awful and inexcusable!

Do we think dawgs defense lived up to the hype? I cashed another team total under on their opponent but they did give up 17, one the scores was garbage time when the game was already over so 10 to a good vols offense pretty impressive, shut them down after 1st qrtr, but I did hear on radio today hooker missed some wide open guys deep? I didn’t get to see game so I’m just box score diving.
Not sure about living up to the hype, but UGA deserves praise for the way the game played out. It's true that there were plays to be made and Hooker missed them, but that happens against good D's. I thought the pace of UTs offense was giving UGA issues, but for some reason the Vols insisted on running into the teeth of the D instead of off tackle. Tenn's defense was never going to hold up if UGA was able to play the game they wanted, so the end result was pretty evident by mid 2nd quarter

James Franklin is terrible and will never win big games. The pussified call early on 4th and 1, with a gadget play throwing to the kicker just shows how he doesn't get it overall! Showed no confidence in his team to run their best play and get a first down. Awful and inexcusable!

That pass on PSU's last play from scrimmage, on 4th and 2, had almost no chance of being completed. It was almost as if PSU was saying "We gave it a shot, but we're done. And here's a pass that will show you we mean it."

Not sure about living up to the hype, but UGA deserves praise for the way the game played out. It's true that there were plays to be made and Hooker missed them, but that happens against good D's. I thought the pace of UTs offense was giving UGA issues, but for some reason the Vols insisted on running into the teeth of the D instead of off tackle. Tenn's defense was never going to hold up if UGA was able to play the game they wanted, so the end result was pretty evident by mid 2nd quarter

i was box score watching and thought my vols tt under was cooked in 1st qrtr, lol.

When you look at the game between Tennessee's first and final drives of the game, I'd say yes, UGA D definitely lived up to the hype.

Any and every semi-decent to usually-good offense they have played they have done what they should do and done it well.

Saw somebody stating the Georgia D stats and how they are superior to Alabama's. Another example why these big conferences suck and not everybody plays everybody. Alabama has had to defend Ole Miss and Texas A&M and even Miss State. So those are some of the better Os in the league. Obviously facing those offenses the Bama D numbers are going to be worse than what Georgia has played on the East and vs their crossover.

When you look at the game between Tennessee's first and final drives of the game, I'd say yes, UGA D definitely lived up to the hype.

Any and every semi-decent to usually-good offense they have played they have done what they should do and done it well.

Saw somebody stating the Georgia D stats and how they are superior to Alabama's. Another example why these big conferences suck and not everybody plays everybody. Alabama has had to defend Ole Miss and Texas A&M and even Miss State. So those are some of the better Os in the league. Obviously facing those offenses the Bama D numbers are going to be worse than what Georgia has played on the East and vs their crossover.

I’m pretty confident Uga would totally shit on aggies offense after seeing what rebs did to them. You take away their run game and they don’t have many answers, don’t think anyone is running on dawgs. Agree facing the Mississippi schools would do a number on most defenses stats.

I fall in the camp thinking dawgs d is without a doubt a class above bama d this year, that said bama offense could present more problems than Uga offense will for bama d.

Udub coaching gig a awesome job if you can land it!! They willing to hire totally incompetent ppl then pay them 10 million not to work after a year or so!!!! Heard radio ppl say lake will get another job and my 2 thoughts were who the hell would hire that guy and why would he wanna work when he be getting paid handsomely not to?!!!

Udub coaching gig a awesome job if you can land it!! They willing to hire totally incompetent ppl then pay them 10 million not to work after a year or so!!!! Heard radio ppl say lake will get another job and my 2 thoughts were who the hell would hire that guy and why would he wanna work when he be getting paid handsomely not to?!!!
He'll probably get a gig at an FCS school

He was pretty successful as Petersen's DC at UW, just has anger management issues

He'll probably get a gig at an FCS school

He was pretty successful as Petersen's DC at UW, just has anger management issues

i dunno man, i think he has more problems than anger management, i think the anger prob stems from sucking as a head coach, maybe he just one these guys that a good coordinator but not head coach material, happens often. i wouldnt take no fcs job if it means cutting into the 10mil udub still owes me! i be chilling on a beach but that just me!! ill come back after i run thru udub money!! lol

Jimmy Lake was elevated up to DC from secondary coach so UW could keep him as people were calling and wanting him. When he was announced as HC after Peterson retired it was viewed as a great move at the time. Nobody doubted it. Nobody second guessed it.

Hindsight 20-20 and all. Looked good even from last year's results. But weird, covid and all, masked the shortcomings.

He isn't head coach material, a lot of people aren't. Sometimes they have to fail in order for that to be discovered. His hire of OC was likely as much of a noose around his neck as anything else. Again, did he hire Donovan thinking it wouldn't work? Of course not. Not every decision yields good results.

i dunno man, i think he has more problems than anger management, i think the anger prob stems from sucking as a head coach, maybe he just one these guys that a good coordinator but not head coach material, happens often. i wouldnt take no fcs job if it means cutting into the 10mil udub still owes me! i be chilling on a beach but that just me!! ill come back after i run thru udub money!! lol
They fired him because of an incident when he was DC that just came up this weekend and had several witnesses in the locker room, threw some player into a locker a couple years ago. He won't take a pay cut, not sure how the terms of the buyout read but I know they're paying him for this season in full.

Jimmy Lake was elevated up to DC from secondary coach so UW could keep him as people were calling and wanting him. When he was announced as HC after Peterson retired it was viewed as a great move at the time. Nobody doubted it. Nobody second guessed it.

Hindsight 20-20 and all. Looked good even from last year's results. But weird, covid and all, masked the shortcomings.

He isn't head coach material, a lot of people aren't. Sometimes they have to fail in order for that to be discovered. His hire of OC was likely as much of a noose around his neck as anything else. Again, did he hire Donovan thinking it wouldn't work? Of course not. Not every decision yields good results.

i talked bad bout him from the beginning if anyone remembers, after his presser i thought he was a bad hire/had to be done for the reason you said. every time i heard him talk i cringed, lol.

They fired him because of an incident when he was DC that just came up this weekend and had several witnesses in the locker room, threw some player into a locker a couple years ago. He won't take a pay cut, not sure how the terms of the buyout read but I know they're paying him for this season in full.

from what i understand he gets the whole 9.9 mil owed to him unless he takes another job. how come they didnt try and fire him for cause then and save some money? i thought the old incident came up cause there was a new one last week? didnt he push one his kids in back during the ducks game? he was suspended for last week wasnt he? they claim that not the reason for firing.

from what i understand he gets the whole 9.9 mil owed to him unless he takes another job. how come they didnt try and fire him for cause then and save some money? i thought the old incident came up cause there was a new one last week? didnt he push one his kids in back during the ducks game? he was suspended for last week wasnt he? they claim that not the reason for firing.
Yeah that was the reason for suspension but apparently the thing from the past elevated it to firing. Think I saw at least 5 guys came forward and said it crossed the line, of course others said no big deal. Think if they wanted to fire for cause they'd have to deal with a massive black eye on the program that they overlooked, just trying to get away from it quickly.

Yeah that was the reason for suspension but apparently the thing from the past elevated it to firing. Think I saw at least 5 guys came forward and said it crossed the line, of course others said no big deal. Think if they wanted to fire for cause they'd have to deal with a massive black eye on the program that they overlooked, just trying to get away from it quickly.

gotcha. pretty easy to believe they just fired him cause of results cause he seemed way over his head to me.

I fall in the camp thinking dawgs d is without a doubt a class above bama d this year, that said bama offense could present more problems than Uga offense will for bama d.
They are clearly better than Alabama on defense. But Alabama has slowly been climbing up the defensive stat ranks and isn't as far behind as most of our fans think

i talked bad bout him from the beginning if anyone remembers, after his presser i thought he was a bad hire/had to be done for the reason you said. every time i heard him talk i cringed, lol.

I don't remember that exact moment but I'll give you credit for always calling him. You should apply for some head coach search firms ;)

Back