Week 11.....Florida @ SC

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
I am going back to South Carolina Thursday for this game, its a shame I am going to watch a brutal ass kicking but it is what it is. I said last week if they lost to Arky the trend would continue this week and I can't change my mind on that. Arky runs some very similar plays to UF and with the success Arky had, I can't see the result being much different. Shotgun with Harvin motioned across for a handoff all day, Shotgun to Tebow for the read option, shotgun to Tebow for the fake run and pass to a wide open Caldwell or Ingram. SC was outmatched vs. the Arky ground game so they had to compensate it for some way. That meant that they had to attack the first movement Arky made leaving them lost in space when Arky ran any type of misdirection, expect a lot of it this weekend. I will update this thread the whole week while I can. I don't care what the # is, I am playing the OVER. SC might be +14 and I ain't biting.

Holy Arkansas run game. Holy Darren McFadden. Holy Felix Jones.

I know RBU called the over, good job, and sportfantaic (?) along with Rex had Arky, good job

I think the over looks good in that game and the over in Arky/Tenn game looks great. All these teams have really explosive offenses but not much defense. I am glad Auburn got to play Arky early in the year. Those backs looked unstoppable last night.

Does anyone know if tim tebow shoulder is healed?

B/C the game against Georgia Tebow wasn't healthy and therefore he wasn't his usual self by not running and resulted in more punting situations.

Does anyone know if tim tebow shoulder is healed?

B/C the game against Georgia Tebow wasn't healthy and therefore he wasn't his usual self by not running and resulted in more punting situations.

Yesterday, he didn't run much because he didn't really need to. Percy Harvin is a stud. Florida was really clicking yesterday.

OBC should be embareassed with that game

I don't know if he is but I sure as fuck am.

Some factors going into this weekend:

• This is the 11th straight game for SC, not having a bye week until after this week could be taking a toll on these boys, both mentally and physically, especially after the defense got run over, around, and through.
  • QB's who have had success running vs. SC (ULL = 21-116, LSU = 8-59, Vandy = 13-84) which brings me to Tebow's health, is he 100%?
  • SC's inability to stop the read option
  • SC's inability to play a full game of football
  • UF Speed
  • In the Spurrier/Nix era SC has played 35 games. We have held exactly 6 opponents under 100 yds rushing (Miss. St., UK, UT, MTSU (’06) UCF, VU (’05)). In the same period we have allowed 10 teams to run for more than 200 yards on us, 6 of those broke 250, 2 broke 300, and one broke 500yds. So the breakdown is:
    6 games under 100
    29 games over 100
    10 games over 200
    6 games over 250
    2 games over 300
    1 game over 500
  • The losses of Jasper Brinkley, Nathan Pepper, Jordin Lindsey really showed this week on defense
  • Dion Lecorn emerged as the #2 to McKinnley
  • RT Justin Sorensen SUCKS and continues to get abused by any DE with SPEED (I would put HARVEY on him all game)

Adam Gorney
GatorBait.net Assistant Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Related Links:
Too many weaponsPouncey provides sparkMore football news
Talk about it in Alligator Alley

Coach Urban Meyer talked with the media Sunday morning following Florida's 49-22 victory over Vanderbilt on Saturday at Florida Field. Here are his quotes from that teleconference:

Did you think freshman cornerback Joe Haden played well against Earl Bennett?

Meyer: I met with our staff and didn't get to watch the entire game but he played one of his better games. Earl Bennett has done a lot of damage to Florida the last two years. Joe came of age a little bit. He played one of his better games.

<!--Start BJames200_0915_AP Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/882/539300.jpg', '539300.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'James provided good field position all game.', 'Associated Press', 1194194383000, 'BJames200_0915_AP', 882, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
539300.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Associated Press</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>James provided good field position all game.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End BJames200_0915_AP Image-->How do you think the defense played?

Meyer: You watch the snap and at one point other than (junior defensive end) Derrick Harvey it was all freshmen or sophomores on the field and you can see them improving. (Sophomore linebacker) Brandon Spikes played tremendous. (Mike) Pouncey wasn't perfect on his technique but there is a presence.

Was it good to get freshman quarterback Cameron Newton a few snaps?

Meyer: Cam has been battling injuries. It started with his back and then a high ankle sprain to where he couldn't even practice. He looks like a truck when he runs the ball. It was good getting him in that game.

How good was it for sophomore quarterback Tim Tebow not to absorb many hits?

Meyer: I called him late last night with all the running around I have to do after the game. Tim's not the most honest guy with injuries. He's going to be defensive about it. I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine. He thinks it's going to be close to 100 percent. The biggest thing I can see about Percy Harvin in the backfield, it opens up the inside run, the outside run, the play-action because the threat is real. Plus Tim can run the ball. That's exactly where we need to be.

Are safety Jamar Hornsby and running back Chevon Walker off the team?

Meyer: I don't know that for sure. There's a chance they may be. There's a chance they might not.

What did you see from the defensive coaching staff leading up to Vanderbilt?

Meyer: It's been hard on them. There's a pride factor as a football coach. There's a standard that has been set. Florida in the '90s played tremendous defense. I don't think they're harder on (the players). I can see them spending enormous amounts of time with (the players). There's so much to be taught. The wear and tear you can see it, but that's part of their job.

How much better has cornerback Wondy Pierre-Louis played the last two weeks?

Meyer: We always say that's correlated to his practice. He's practiced much better. We'd hoped it would happen faster than it did but it's starting to happen.

How much of an asset is Brandon James to the team?

Meyer: He's tremendous. He was directly responsible for a fumble recovery. He accounted for three scores. Three times he handed the ball to the offense on the plus-50. His value is enormous in the plan to win. You can talk about Percy and Tebow and Spikes. I'm not sure there's a more valuable player on this team than Brandon James.

Is Tebow's bruised shoulder almost a blessing in disguise because now he can become more of a pocket passer?

Meyer: He has learned to re-direct protections and be more cautious in the pocket. He has improved in the pocket. He's a tremendous passer. The older he gets the more experience he gets. One point, I think he was 19 of 22 throwing the ball so he can be a tremendous pocket passer.

Can you talk about wide receiver Louis Murphy's progression this season?

Meyer: I haven't seen his stats. It seems like every game he comes up with clutch catches and (he's) a downfield threat. Anybody can catch a ball when they're wide open but it's when they can get it out of the air. He's having a legitimate year. He's going to be one of our leaders the next year and a half. (Cornelius Ingram) sprained his ankle against Georgia. He was hurt all week.

Has the game against South Carolina become more than just Florida going against Steve Spurrier? Have the both sides moved past that storyline?

Meyer: I'm hoping we are. It's about competing for the championship of the SEC East. We're beyond that as a team and coaching staff. It will always be there. That has no bearing on this game and who wins the SEC East.

Are you confident the team can run the ball against South Carolina after watching Arkansas rush for 541 yards?

Note: Darren McFadden had 323 yards and one touchdown and Felix Jones added 163 yards and three scores in the 48-36 win.

Meyer: I watched the entire game, every snap. I can't imagine there's a better running back than (McFadden) other than the other guy on that team Felix Jones. It looked like they were running 100-meter dashes. That was one of the most unbelievable displays of offense I've ever seen. I wonder what happened the other games when I see them. (McFadden) is as good a football player as I've ever seen.

Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Despite three consecutive losses by South Carolina, Steve Spurrier isn't discouraged. He knew the hurdles he faced when he replaced Lou Holtz as head football coach three years ago.

Some people expected Spurrier to immediately convert USC into a championship contender after he led Florida to unparalleled success, capturing seven SEC titles in 12 seasons from 1990 to 2001.

But Spurrier knew better. And he still does.

"I knew when I took this job it wasn't going to be quite the same as the Florida job," Spurrier said Sunday during his weekly teleconference with beat reporters. "I think our fans know it's a building situation. The third year, a lot of times, is when you end up playing a lot of freshmen, sophomore guys. Hopefully they'll play a lot better."

USC started just five seniors in Saturday's 48-36 loss at Arkansas. Four were on offense, including three in the backfield at quarterback (Blake Mitchell), fullback (Lanard Stafford) and tailback (Cory Boyd).

Seven of the 11 starters on defense were freshman or sophomores. All but one will return next season. Their lack of the necessary ingredients of size, speed and strength showed up at times while surrendering 650 yards of total offense, 541 on the ground, to the Razorbacks

"Two or three years in the weight room under Mark Smith usually makes our guys lot better players," Spurrier said. "We've got to coach better too. Our job is to put what we've got in position to play the game. Hopefully they'll play with a lot more spirit and effort."

The loss to Arkansas dropped USC to 6-4 overall, 3-4 in the SEC. The Gamecocks must beat Florida on Saturday to avoid its second consecutive below .500 finish in the conference.

USC also fell out of the Top 25 for the first time since the second week of the season. The Gamecocks moved into the national rankings following the 16-12 victory over Georgia on Sept. 8 and remained there until Sunday.

The USC defense faces another stern test this Saturday when Florida (6-3 overall, 4-3 in SEC), No. 15 in the latest BCS rankings released late Sunday afternoon, comes to Williams-Brice Stadium for a nationally televised 7:45 p.m. clash.

Several weeks ago, it looked like this game was setting up to determine the winner of the SEC East. But multiple defeats within the conference by both teams that made this an elimination game of sorts.

Both team trails Georgia (4-2 in SEC) and Tennessee (3-2) in the divisional standings.

The 2005 confrontation was celebrated as Spurrier's first opportunity to face the school he directed to national prominence in the 1990's. Last year, he faced the Gators for the first time in Gainesville.

"I was certainly hoping and Florida was hoping this would decide the Eastern Division a few weeks ago," Spurrier said. "It's just South Carolina versus Florida now. To me, that was what it was all about the first couple of years."

Behind quarterback Tim Tebow, the Florida offense has operated on all cylinders for most of the season, including this past weekend when the Gators stormed past Vanderbilt, 49-22, on Homecoming.

According to the SEC office, Florida has the SEC's highest scoring proficiency since 2000. The Gators have averaged 3.38 points per offensive drive, which tops Florida's 2001 mark of 3.27 points per drive.

The Gators have scored touchdowns on 46 of 101 offensive drives this season, a success rate of 45.5 percent, higher than Florida's 2001 mark of 40.9 percent (59 of 144).

Believe it or not, USC is still mathematically alive for the SEC Eastern Division crown, and the berth in the Dec. 1 SEC Championship game that goes to the winner.

While Tennessee is the team in the Eastern Division that controls its own destiny as a result of its earlier win over Georgia, there are numerous possibilities of a five or six way tie at 4-4. Right now, the only team without any chance to win the SEC East is Vanderbilt.

USC could be missing a couple of key players when its faces Florida on Saturday. Defensive backs Emanuel Cook and Captain Munnerlyn suffered ankle injuries in the loss to Arkansas.

Cook had his ankle "rolled up" in the second quarter, Spurrier said. However, he did not exit the game until late in the third quarter. Spurrier said the status of both players won't be known until later in the week.

Running back Cory Boyd suffered a slightly sprained shoulder en route to rushing for 94 yards against Arkansas, but he should be healthy enough to play this Saturday, Spurrier said.

In order to beat Florida, USC must find a cure for what ails the run defense. The Gamecocks were physically dominated at the line of scrimmage by Arkansas while surrendering 541 rushing yards.

RB Darren McFadden established a new SEC record with 323 rushing yards. Felix Jones had 163 yards, including TD runs of 40 yards and 72 yards in the first quarter.

"Obviously, we've got to shore up our run defense, no question about that," Spurrier said. "Our defense has played pretty well except for (Saturday) night. We're looking forward to see if we can play a little better than these last two weeks.

"Our line was not nearly as good as it's going to hopefully be around here. We had poor tackling and guys not hitting the right gap. Arkansas is one of the best rushing teams in the nation and it sort of caught up with us. They hit about everything they threw."

Except for Auburn, USC came the closest of any team to beating the Gators last season. But a trio of blocked kicks, including a potential game-winning field goal in the final seconds, doomed the Gamecocks in 17-16 loss at The Swamp in Gainesville.

"Last year, we didn't play very well down there," Spurrier said. "We certainly had our chances, but we didn't get done. We had three kicks blocked for the first time all year."

USC will have to find a way to stop Tebow and lightning fast running back Percy Harvin. In other words, they must do many of the things they didn't do in Fayetteville.

"We've got to stop the run and stop Percy up the middle," Spurrier said. "We've got to really be sound stopping the run to have any chance Saturday night."

While USC's hopes of winning the SEC East are dim following the losses to Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Arkansas the last three weeks, Spurrier said many of the team's goals could still be achieved.

"We set more than one goal and there's a bunch of them out there," Spurrier said. "They're all going to hit or not hit here in the next two weeks or, hopefully, after bowl game week. We've got to go win seven games, go beat Clemson, several other goals. We've still got a lot to play for."

Nine SEC teams, including USC, are currently bowl eligible. The league, however, has just eight bowl slots, including the BCS. Some people have speculated the SEC could have as many as 11 bowl eligible teams, but Spurrier isn't one of them,

"I don't think there will be that many," Spurrier said. "I certainly hope we can get to seven (wins) and maybe eight. We've got to go one game at a time and see where we are."

The way the USC offense has performed the last six quarters with fifth-year senior Blake calling signals provides USC hope it can win its final two regular season games. USC has 844 yards of total offense since the start of the third period against Tennessee on Oct. 27.

"We're doing a little bit better," Spurrier said. "Blake has played well, but he's still missing a few guys here and there. But he hit a lot of guys also. Hopefully he can finish the season for us here."

The offensive line allowed just one sack for the second consecutive week and protected quarterback Blake Mitchell well enough against Arkansas to allow him to complete 27-of-51 passes for a season-high 364 yards.

Gurminder Thind replaced Seaver Brown at left guard early in the second half and played the rest of the game there in his most extensive action of the season.

USC's current three-game losing streak is not the longest of Spurrier's coaching career. He once lost four games in a row at Duke. Most of those defeats were close, Spurrier recalled.

NOTES:

-- Spurrier noted USC's inability to recover fumbles. Arkansas fumbled twice on Saturday but recovered both of them. "We still can't get the loose balls," Spurrier said.

-- Spurrier said one play defined how things went for USC in Saturday's game. The Arkansas QB pitched to McFadden. The ball dropped to the ground and he picked it up and lobbed it into the end zone over DB Carlos Thomas for a touchdown. "When that kind of thing happens, I don't know what you can do," Spurrier said.

-- Spurrier blamed miscommunication for the lack of an onside kick after a third quarter touchdown had made it 35-27. Ryan Succop pooch kicked the ball 17 yards, where it was downed by Arkansas at the SC 47. Arkansas needed just four plays to score a touchdown. "I thought we were going to onside the thing like we did before," Spurrier said. "Next thing I know, Coach Chatham had called that pooch and he kicked it too far. That was one of our onside kicks. The one that worked, we didn't want to try that one again. We wanted to try another one. That was my mistake for not being in communication with a coach."

Has anyone given a call to the local authorities to warn them that ETG will be back in the neighborhood ??

Has anyone given a call to the local authorities to warn them that ETG will be back in the neighborhood ??
:36_11_6:

haha

but really

SHHHH!!!!

INJURY REPORT: Emanuel Cook left the game late in the third quarter with a left ankle injury. He's questionable for the Florida game. Captain Munnerlyn sustained a left foot injury.

****This is as significant as it comes to defensive injuries right now. Cook = Top tackler, Munnerlyn = Top corner.. Status unknown

Good stuff ETG. Hope you manage to have a good time at the game, win or lose. The amount of info you can get on SEC teams if crazy. I'm lucky if Wyoming releases an article a week. lol

ETG...I value your opinion. You always call it like it is, atleast in the SC games..hehe. If the spread stays under 10 I have to go with Florida. Anything over 10 is SC. Tebow is not 100% btw. Florida IS clicking right now but this is Steve Spurrier. I dont know how many times he has pulled shit out of his ass to win a game. It should be real nice in SC for a night game. Wish I was there. Have fun sir. I mean, HAVE FUN !! Damn I wish I was young again. :prayer

Jpicks - so true, I can scan rivals for whatever on an SEC school starting Sunday but I goto a website like BYU and there aint shit. I will have fun this weekend, regardless of outcome, thats my 5* bet of the yr.

Hunt - I agree, think they def can cause some trouble for UF. They are very young in the secondary and they will be tested often since we will likely be in a shootout.

Spanish - I can't disagree with you much. I don't feel comfortable at all if I am holding a SC+6.5 ticket. We are going to have to be firing on all cylinders to keep up I am afraid. Tebow not 100% means he can pick on our secondary even more. By that I mean:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Some notes following Monday's practice...</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>- Captain Munnerlyn's foot is in a cast and he was using crutches. The diagnosis is a sprained foot. X-rays were negative and they are awaiting the results of an MRI. He's questionable for this weekend's game.
- Emanuel Cook was walking around. He did not practice tonight but is expected to play.

I don't know many people walking around in a cast on Monday ready to play on Saturday. I think at this moment it is logical to assume he will be out and that is NOT GOOD for SC. Captain is their best cover corner. Brandon Issac is still banged up, he imo, is the best DB but he has a bum shoulder which has hampered his career at SC and will cost him a lot of $$$. Stoney Woodson is just getting to 100%. This is significant because Captain has held his corner spot down for the last 2yrs and if UF goes 4-wide the likely DB's will include true frosh Addison Williams who Tebow and ever opponent so far have ripped apart. Cook is the leading tackler and so having him is obviously very important as well

If Munnerlyn/Cook are out, you will see me on UF for a very large play.

Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

The South Carolina secondary could be without two key players when they face Florida, No. 15 in the BCS standings, Saturday at Williams-Brice at 7:45 p.m. in a key SEC clash.

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn and strong safety Emanuel Cook both suffered foot injuries in USC's 48-36 loss to Arkansas Saturday night and may be forced to sit out this week's game.

Neither player practiced Monday night during USC's 90-minute session on the Bluff Road practice fields.

"Hopefully they'll be ready to play (Saturday)," Spurrier said. "We just need to play ball and be competitive. We weren't very competitive the last game. We're looking forward to seeing if we can represent our team and our university a lot better than last week."

Munnerlyn (sprained foot) wore a boot on his left foot and required crutches to walk as he left the field. Preliminary X-rays taken shortly after the game were negative. He underwent a MRI Sunday and the sophomore from Mobile, Ala. is still awaiting the results.

Munnerlyn is set to be examined by team physicians on Tuesday to see if the cast can be removed.

Munnerlyn was injured while defending a two-point conversion following the final touchdown of the night by Arkansas with 8:04 remaining.

"When I caught the interception, the guy grabbed my ankle and kind of turned it," Munnerlyn said. "I think he was trying to tackle me from behind. I jumped for the ball and he just grabbed my foot. When I tried to get up, someone landed on it. I trued to get up and walk off the field. I guess everybody thought it was cramps. Hopefully, I'll be ready for Saturday."

Spurrier expects Cook (sprained foot), who said he should be able to return to practice on Wednesday, will be ready for the defending national champions on Saturday. Cook had his ankle "rolled on" in the loss at Arkansas and exited the contest late in the third quarter.

Cook has a team-leading 76 tackles this season.

Cook, a native of Riviera Beach, Fla., is anxious to return to practice and desperately wants to face the Gators, a team that gave him token attention in recruiting two years ago even though Cook was the Class 6-A Player of the Year and led his school to the state championship.

"(My ankle) is all right," Cook said. "I plan to play this week and to get back slowly. I was on the sideline praying to get back in, but I couldn't. I didn't want to hurt the team."

None of the so-called "Big Three" schools in the Sunshine State recruited Cook hard. Florida head coach Urban Meyer visited Cook at his school but no offer was ever made.

"I was surprised a lot of schools (didn't recruit me harder)," Cook said. "I wanted to play in front of family every weekend. But I came to South Carolina and felt a whole lot better. Last year, I was ready to get out there (against Florida) and get some action. This year, I'm definitely (ready). I'm injured right now and feeling a little bad but I'm ready to get out there."

Cook collided with Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and forced a fumble, but the Razorbacks recovered and ended up gaining an additional 12 yards on the play. They scored a touchdown shortly thereafter.

"It was the hardest I've ever hit anybody," Cook said. "It was amazing, but we still didn't recover the fumble. They probably did take a little bit of our confidence. I haven't been around the guys a lot today to see how they are acting, but I know we will pull each other up and get back into the mood of playing."

Spurrier is confident the Gamecock defense will improve significantly from its performance against Arkansas, when it surrendered 650 total yards, 541 on the ground.

"Coach Nix and those (defensive) coaches will get them ready to play," Spurrier said. "That was the first really lousy defensive game we've had all year. We'll find out when Arkansas plays against Tennessee. If they can't run against Tennessee, it's all us. They didn't run far against Auburn but maybe they have a lot tougher defense than most people."

IMPORTANT WEEK FOR THE DEFENSE: After watching his defense get physically whipped by the Arkansas offense, USC defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix says this week is critical for his unit.

"Basically, (Arkansas) was doing whatever they wanted to do running the football," Nix said. "They out-coached our defensive coaches. I think their (offensive) players out-competed our defensive players. Basically, they just whipped us. They knocked our guys backwards. It was embarrassing. It was sad."

Nix vowed to determine what's wrong with the defense and fix it in time for Saturday's game.

"We have plenty of time. We don't play again until Saturday," Nix said. "We'll see (if USC can recover). I'm going to compete as hard as I can. All I can do is encourage the other guys. We don't have a choice, do we? We can't make it an open week, so we're going to see. We're going to do the best we can."

Arkansas had success with the Wild Hog formation where McFadden takes the shotgun snap from center and either runs with it or he passes. McFadden lofted a TD pass to Robert Johnson on one play and Arkansas threw a reverse pass to an open receiver for another TD in the second quarter.

What was particularly disappointing to Nix was that some of USC's leaders on defense didn't increase their level of play to meet the challenge posed by the Arkansas defense.

"You'd think some of our leaders would rise up and make a play," Nix said. "I didn't see that happen. I didn't see any of our playmakers or the guys we assume are playmakers make a play."

MCKINLEY WANTS COMPLETE GAME: Wide receiver Kenny McKinley hopes the loss to Arkansas has a positive effect on the Gamecocks as it prepares this week for Saturday's nationally televised showdown with Florida.

"Hopefully, it make us tougher in practice and get us ready to go," McKinley said. "We have to keep winning. The defense had a tough task (against Arkansas). I know those guys will bounce back next week. We just can't get both (units) going at the same time. But I can't be mad at any of the defensive players. They were hard to stop."

While McKinley caught seven passes for 72 yards on Saturday night, it was one that got away that dominated the post-game talk. McKinley barely missed catching a pass from QB Blake Mitchell in the end zone on a corner route.

"I didn't try to think about it," McKinley said. "I know I should have caught that ball. Nine times out of 10 I will make that play. But I didn't make it. I'm going to go back and work harder. I was down at first but the guys told me I had made too many good plays to harp on that one. After that, I really didn't think about it anymore."

FLORIDA REPORT: Florida is coming off an impressive 49-22 victory over Vanderbilt last Saturday in which Percy Harvin became the first player in school history to surpass 100 yards rushing and receiving in the same game. Harvin had 11 carries for 113 yards with two touchdowns and nine receptions for 110 yards,

"(That's) hard to imagine considering all of the great players who have played here," Florida head coach Urban Meyer said. "I thought he had a tremendous day. He graded out at over 100 percent because you get double positives for big plays and he had plenty of those."

QB Tim Tebow established a new SEC record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in a season with 14, tying Emmitt Smith and Buford Long for the school record for most rushing touchdowns in a season. Tebow completed 22 of 27 passes for 281 yards and three touchdowns in the victory over Vanderbilt. He also rushed for 35 yards on six carries with two touchdowns.

Senior wide receiver Andre Caldwell contributed to the win with a career-high nine receptions for 103 yards and two touchdowns. Florida is still in contention for the SEC East Championship with a 4-3 conference mark. But the Gators need Georgia to lose twice and Tennessee to lose at least once to a conference foe to get back to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game.

"Our goal is to compete for the SEC East championship in November and we are doing that," Meyer said. "The first year we failed and last year we succeeded. I can promise you (that) we will have a great week of practice. It's going to be high energy and this is our last SEC game of the season. It is an unusual year where teams kind of beat each other up, but we still have a great opportunity ahead of us and our guys are excited about it."

Florida fell to USC, 30-22, two years ago in the last meeting in Columbia between the two schools. The Gators needed a blocked field goal as time expired to escape with a 17-16 victory over the Gamecocks in Gainesville last season.

Of course, whenever USC and Florida meet on the gridiron, some of the focus will be fixated on USC head coach Steve Spurrier and his highly successful 12-year run as UF head coach.

"There are a lot of things that make his teams so good," Meyer said. "They play with great confidence. They are hard to defend. Every week you find yourself on the defensive when you play them. The thing I'm impressed with is all three phases of their game are solid. I think that's what makes him a good coach."

Both parents of Tebow, who grew up in Jacksonville, are Florida alumni and he understands well the impact Spurrier had on the history of Florida football.

"Steve Spurrier is a great coach and is someone who has done a lot of great things for college football and the University of Florida," Tebow said. "He is doing a great job with South Carolina and, hopefully, he won't do that great against us. I think a lot of him. He carries his program with him everywhere he goes. He gets his guys to compete and win. He really knows football."

NOTES:

-- DE Eric Norwood said the USC defense entered the Arkansas knowing the Razorback offense was capable of putting up a lot of yards, the Gamecock players felt they could stop them. "We know we're a good enough team. We just messed up at crucial times," Norwood said. "Their backs are very fast.

-- Not surprisingly, running back Darren McFadden of Arkansas was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week after rushing for 321 yards and one touchdown on 34 carries in Arkansas' 48-36 victory over USC in Fayetteville. McFadden was initially credited with 323 yards, but a video review reduced his total by two yards. Arkansas guard Mitch Petrus was honored as the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week.

-- Florida DL Jermaine Cunningham was named SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week after finishing with five tackles and an interception against Vanderbilt.

-- USC has attempted over 50 passes in each of its last two games. Spurrier said the large numbers of passes was necessary because USC fell behind early in both games. "We had to throw more than we probably needed to," Spurrier said. "Teams that throw 50 times very seldom win."

-- Spurrier said Florida's defensive isn't much different than last season despite the considerable turnover in players. "They have their scheme and they don't make many mistakes," Spurrier said. "It's whole different bunch. But they play hard and they play smart. They love to play and they're well coached."

Guerry Smith
GatorBait.net Assistant Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in Alligator Alley

"Our goal is to compete for SEC East championships in November, and we're doing that. The first year we failed. The second year we succeeded. The third year's here, so I promise you we'll have a great week of practice. It will be high energy. It will be our last SEC game. It's an unusual year where teams have kind of beat each other up, but we still have a great opportunity. Our guys are excited about it."

Does it feel a little like two years ago because you're going up to South Carolina needing to win and get a little help, or does it feel nothing like two years ago because you have a different mindset that team had not bought into yet?

<!--Start percy200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/882/561892.jpg', '561892.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Harvin had more than 100 yards rushing and receiving against Vanderbilt.', '', 1194306250000, 'percy200', 882, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
561892.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Harvin had more than 100 yards rushing and receiving against Vanderbilt.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End percy200 Image-->"It's completely different. There are some similarities. The thing you said about needing help, but as far as knowing the team and having a little more confidence and trust, it feels a lot different in that regard."

With all the research you guys did on Percy Harvin when you recruited him, has he changed as a person or did he just need a change of scenery?

"That's a great question. Here's my opinion on that. Obviously you do an enormous amount of research before you recruit a young guy, especially a high-profile player like that, and obviously there were situations in high school that he was involved in. What happens is a lot of these high-profile people, because of dot.com and because of everything else and because sometimes these young athletes just get things handed to them, they are also a target. There can be eight people involved in something, and the athlete is the one that gets targeted and he's the guy who gets abused by the fans. He would probably be the first to tell you he didn't know how to handle those situations. Not that he was a bad guy, but he knows how to handle situations right now. His last month at the University of Florida as far as practice, as far as seeing him say things to the defense, you see his work ethic, you see his camaraderie with his teammates, he's had his best month at Florida."

You've mentioned Brandon Spikes the last three times you've talked to us. Can you talk about his evolution?

"Brandon Spikes is a player who thought you went out and played the game and preparation was not really, we really missed Brandon Siler because Siler was such a great leader in preparation. As with a lot of young players, Brandon Spikes believed in going out and going to tackle the guy with the ball. A lot of times he was out of gaps and made mistakes. The greatest testimony to Brandon Spikes is his comments after the (Vanderbilt) game. I had him speak to the team because coach Strong pointed out that he played very well, and he took responsibility that he would never let it happen again the way he let a defense down the way he did (against Georgia). It's not because of effort and it's not because of (a lack) love for the game of football. It's because of maybe preparation and trying to go above and beyond what his job responsibility is. Defense is all about gap control and doing your job. If you try to overdo your job, you're in the wrong gap, and that's when you see creases and people making mistakes. Brandon had a tendency to do that."

Is the goal for him to turn into Siler as far as the leadership?

"That's our idea. It's the middle linebacker. That's the quarterback of the defense. You want to see a bad defense, a lot of times I'll show you a bad middle linebacker. That's just the way it is."

What were your first impressions of (co-defensive coordinator Greg) Mattison when you were on the staff with him at Notre Dame?

"I was there for one year with Lou Holtz, and he came in with Bob Davie and bought a house three houses from mine and we became great friends. It was almost competition. Every weekend in the summer he would have players over at his house, and him and (wife) Anne were tremendous. They really cared about the players off the field. I always had the offensive players over, and Greg would have the defensive players over, and so we just became great friends. We believe in a lot of the same things as far as taking care of the players off the field and making sure they are doing the right thing."

How that become increasingly important this year with so many young guys on defense?

"Greg looks about 88-years old right now if you really look at him. That's an important task that Greg has right now. He's just developing his young players."

How does he handle the transition from being the caring guy off the field to the guy screaming at them on the field?

"He handles it very well. He can get away with being extremely aggressive on the field because the players know deep down they care about him. He's very good at it."

When you recruited the Pounceys, did you have any idea that they would fit in the way that they did both socially and academically and then excelling on the field as quickly as they did?

"We had a feel because our athletic director, all the people that came across the Pounceys during the recruiting process had the same comments, including my family and including other families, that they were very outgoing and always had a smile on their face. The passion for what they do is phenomenal, but also you've got to give credit to Mom and Dad. We have dealt with a couple issues with those two, as with most young people, and the minute you call that parent, it's done. I've had a parent, Lisa (Webster), actually get in her car and drive up here immediately. Obviously it was minor stuff, but to that family it's not minor, and because of that you've seen great growth with those two. It's too early to tell, but they are the captains, the kind of kids you want to lead your team."

What is about coach (Steve) Spurrier that makes him so good?

"There's a lot of things that make his team so good. Obviously his teams play with great confidence. Although they've been on a little bit of a slip here lately, they are hard to defend. If you ask (secondary) coach (Chuck) Heater, we've spent a lot of time in the offseason, even though they haven't really torched us, every week you just feel like you're on the defensive when you face his teams on offense, but the thing I'm more impressed with is all three phases of his game are all pretty solid. I think that's what makes him a good coach." </B>

Can you talk about how much Jarvis Moss' blocked field goal (on the last play of the South Carolina game) last propelled you and how much you bring that up when you're talking about the program?

"I don't really bring that up much. We see some pictures all over the place. Obviously that was a great day in Florida football history. It propelled us to Glendale, Arizona, because if I remember right, the SEC East was already won, but that got us a chance to keep going on the national level. It was a great individual effort by a great football player. We don't talk about that. We don't have time."

How much of being a great return guy is learned, and how much of it is he's fast and has good vision?

"It's much more than fast. It's great vision and that first step. I always talk about Percy's first step. If you really watch Brandon (James) when he hits it, north-south returners are the hardest guys to defend. South Carolina has a punt returner (Captain Munnerlyn) that's a very north-south guy. I was worried to death about the group we just faced. Vanderbilt had two very good returners because they are tough and aggressive and north-south guys. You have to take a chance and be very aggressive, and that's what makes Brandon James very good."

Can you talk about the things Mike Pouncey did on Saturday that didn't show up on the stat sheet?

"Just the energy level he brought. Derrick Harvey made a comment to me, and so did many of the secondary players, that his practice tempo, Lawrence Marsh had a better week of practice because of Mike Pouncey. Those are things which I've talked about several times, but his energy level, his passion, were what we needed."

Pouncey aside, what are some of things differently you did scheme-wise defensively against Vanderbilt? Was there a complete overhaul?

"No, there wasn't. What I thought we did was we stopped the run and we cupped the football and kept guys in front of us. Our corners, it seems like we're starting to get a little more confidence. We all that frustration, everybody watching our defense play, you see the corners play so far off and that's a result of a lack of confidence. Now you're seeing them start to squeeze and knock balls down. There's a fine line between doing that and getting beat. (South Carolina's Kenny) McKinley is a tremendous receiver coming up here. Schematically we didn't change a whole bunch. We stopped the run, and that was the key. When you start seeing that line of scrimmage and Mike Pouncey, 310-pound guy, he didn't do everything perfect, but he was a presence in there. You need two guys to move a guy that big, and if a guy comes off a scoop block and a guy comes off early, that's when he had his tackle for a loss. The passion, energy and stopping the run and squeezing the coverages by our corners was the difference."

Would you talk about how Wondy Pierre-Louis has grown into the cornerback position?

"In week 10 you'd anticipate that happening. Wondy had a little experience last year. He had some big plays on special teams for us a year ago, but his practice and work ethic were OK, not great. Joe Haden is a much better practice player. I think it's game experience, I really do. I was talking to Lawrence Wright, and he was talking about the '93 Gator defense with all those young defensive backs. They got abused once in a while, but they just kept sticking together, sticking together and all of a sudden they matured and became one of the better groups in the country. I relate it to that. He's getting experience. He's a good young guy who has some pride. It was obvious he was getting lit up a little bit."

It seemed like last year your kickoff guy had a little box he was aiming for between the 10 and the hash. Joey (Ijjas) had three touchbacks Saturday. Are you encouraging him to put it past that box now?

"We didn't kick the ball deep one time Saturday. Those were squib kicks. We were not going to kick deep to that guy. I don't have enough confidence in our kickoff team to do that right now, so if you really watch, we kicked off nine teams and did either sky right, squib left or squib right. He hit a couple of them just right where they started cheating up and he got all of it. He had three touchbacks, but one was a line drive that he hit just right. The others were two squibs that got behind the guy. It's a whole different approach from the 30-yard line when you're playing with some of the young players we're playing on kickoff. I'm not sure where they are statistically, but Vanderbilt was as good a kickoff return team as we've faced this year."

Does the Florida-South Carolina rivalry mean more to you because of what coach Spurrier did around here?

"It's there. I can stand up here and say it's just another game, but it's not. It's certainly there, but in the last three years it's come down to something far greater than all that – the fact you're playing for an SEC East championship in November. Year one, F, year two, did it, year three, we're going to find out. I'm glad that's kind of disappeared (the Spurrier vs. Meyer talk). The first year that's all the discussion was, and that's kind of disappeared. It's certainly disappeared around our team, but it's always going to be there and it should be there."

Are you going to let the players watch the early games on Saturday (Arkansas-Tennessee; Auburn-Georgia)?

"Sure."

Could that backfire as a motivational thing?

"I don't think so. We'll have walk-throughs and meetings and everything else. It's like an hour at most that they are by themselves."

If the games go your way, will you maybe mention it to them before the game?

"I'm not sure. Blue pants, you never know."

You said Harvin graded out over 100 percent. How often has that happened with players?

"Bubba Caldwell graded out 97 percent and Jarred Fayson 91 percent. Percy Harvin was over 100 percent, and that's a result of big plays. You get a double-plus for that, and I don't think Percy graded out a champion once last year. He had some big plays, but he's becoming a well-rounded complete player. The same with Bubba Caldwell. Bubba Caldwell is our best blocker downfield. If you really watch that Jarred Fayson touchdown, he peels back and gets a nice shot on the guy. It's a result of just buying into the system and understanding how to become a great player."

Has anyone graded out over 100 before?

"Oh yeah."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Tidbits from Monday's practice....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>Last night’s practice was the first step towards putting the porous defensive performance against Arkansas in the past. USC’s defense fell into the trap of becoming reactive instead of attacking the Razorbacks, and one of the focuses of yesterday’s practice was getting back to the things that worked for their defense earlier in the season. Look for a more attacking defense than you saw against Arkansas.

Clearly, Florida runs an offense that is difficult to stop, and it’s at its best when Percy Harvin is making plays. Carolina knows they can’t afford to let him run wild, so it will be interesting to see what Tyrone Nix and his coaches come up with these week to counter that.

They also have to contain Tim Tebow and make him pay for running the ball so often, while at the same time be prepared for the Gators’ vertical passing game, which will be an extremely tough task for the Gamecock defense.

Florida doesn’t have a great offensive line, so the front-7 on Carolina’s defense must rebound and play one its best games of the season.

The offense has been challenged to eliminate the costly unforced errors they’ve committed as of late. They also spent a lot of time working on their red-zone offense yesterday, as they have not executed inside the 25-yard line lately like they need to on Saturday. The last two years against Florida, they’ve been very efficient in the red-zone, and that needs to happen again this year.

The belief is Carolina can move the ball and score points this weekend if they execute.

Dion Lecorn seems to have passed the “thinking stage” and is just playing football now, which is a great sign for him. If the Arkansas game was a taste of things to come from him, it will only make the offense better as a whole.

The first team offensive line was Jamon Meredith, Gurminder Thind, Web Brown, Heath Batchelor and Justin Sorensen, and I think this is the best five they can put on the field right now. The better news is all return next year with the exception of Brown, so they should have the foundation they’ve had heading into a season next year.

Overall, it's really difficult to gauge how the team will react this weekend. I'm not sure anyone will know until the game is underway Saturday night. I do know they're hoping the stadium will be packed and loud, so do your part and make sure that happens.

Another thing to consider..

Southeastern College Football Standings

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahl2b width=175>East</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=22>W</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=22>L</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=63>Conf W-L</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=40>PF</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=40>PA</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=54>Home</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=54>Away</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=54>ATS</TD><TD class=datahl2c width=54>O/U</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>Georgia </TD><TD class=datacellc>7</TD><TD class=datacellc>2</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-2</TD><TD class=datacellc>283</TD><TD class=datacellc>202</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-1</TD><TD class=datacellc>3-1</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-4-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-4-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>Tennessee </TD><TD class=datacellc>6</TD><TD class=datacellc>3</TD><TD class=datacellc>3-2</TD><TD class=datacellc>309</TD><TD class=datacellc>257</TD><TD class=datacellc>5-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>1-3</TD><TD class=datacellc>6-3-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>6-3-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>Florida </TD><TD class=datacellc>6</TD><TD class=datacellc>3</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-3</TD><TD class=datacellc>362</TD><TD class=datacellc>227</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-2</TD><TD class=datacellc>2-1</TD><TD class=datacellc>5-3-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>6-2-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>South Carolina </TD><TD class=datacellc>6</TD><TD class=datacellc>4</TD><TD class=datacellc>3-4</TD><TD class=datacellc>261</TD><TD class=datacellc>208</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-1</TD><TD class=datacellc>2-3</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-5-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>3-6-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>Kentucky </TD><TD class=datacellc>6</TD><TD class=datacellc>3</TD><TD class=datacellc>2-3</TD><TD class=datacellc>350</TD><TD class=datacellc>261</TD><TD class=datacellc>5-2</TD><TD class=datacellc>1-1</TD><TD class=datacellc>5-3-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>5-3-0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>Vanderbilt </TD><TD class=datacellc>5</TD><TD class=datacellc>4</TD><TD class=datacellc>2-4</TD><TD class=datacellc>199</TD><TD class=datacellc>188</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-2</TD><TD class=datacellc>1-2</TD><TD class=datacellc>4-4-0</TD><TD class=datacellc>1-7-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Meyer is going to let the UF players watch the UGA-Auburn, Arky-Tenn games and if things go their way, UF might be coming out the tunnel with a little more motivation

I like SC in this spot ETG...

Please explain linde

I think in normal situations, I would give us a very long look as a home dog but I just think right now there is too much going against this team. They have played 10 games this year and not one has been a complete 4 quarter effort. They have not had a bye week yet which is also very important. Captain Munnerlyn is questionable and he is the best corner. Emanuel Cook is banged up but the severity of the injury is being kept under wraps, he is the leading tackler. I think the offense is going to score a decent amount of points, they've found a combo on the OL and they have been performing better except for the RT. I don't know how healthy Tebow is but SC is a very bad defense vs. the spread option. I am 95% sure my play on this game will be on the over.

I am 95% sure my play on this game will be on the over

ETG beer consumption will hit the over !!!!

Spurrier: Morale Remains High

Scott Hood

Despite three consecutive losses after ascending as high as No. 6 in the national rankings, South Carolina's players and coaches remain confident they'll win the final two regular season games and earn a berth in a significant bowl game.

The Gamecocks will try to rebound from last week's disappointing 48-36 road loss to Arkansas in which they surrendered 650 total yards when they host defending national champion Florida Saturday at 7:45 p.m. in a ESPN nationally televised contest.

"I think our morale's fine, I really do," USC head coach Steve Spurrier said Tuesday during his weekly press conference. "We've been competitive, although we got trampled last week. But like I told our guys, our offense had a really, really lousy game against Vandy and now our defense had their lousy game. We're hoping we can regroup and play a lot better. But we've played some good teams. We're staying positive around here."

If there's a bright side to the current losing streak, many of USC's best players are underclassmen. One hundred of USC's 220 starters (10 games, 22 starters each game) this season have been freshmen or sophomores. That's 45.5 percent.

The top four tacklers – and five of the top six - on defense are sophomores. Seven of the top eight tacklers will return next season.

Offensively, USC expects to lose just one of its top eight pass catchers. Leading receiver Kenny McKinley (62 receptions) intends to return for his senior season, when he'll likely break most of the school's major receiving records.

With so many young players, Spurrier is far from throwing in the towel, either for this season or beyond.

"Somebody asked me the other day 'Are you discouraged?' I said, 'No, I'm not discouraged.' Our big recruiting class was last year. It wasn't three years ago. We've got a lot of players here we believe are going to be outstanding players. And like I've said many times, our best team is not going to be this year. We didn't think it would be."

Spurrier pointed out on Tuesday that even when the Gamecocks were 6-1 and ranked No. 6 in the BCS rankings, he wasn't feeling chirpy.

"When we were 6-1, I wasn't sitting here talking about how great we were," Spurrier said. "It sort of just all caught up to us against some good teams. We need to right our ship and see if we can't play a lot better this week."

Florida, this week's opponent, has given significant playing time to numerous young players as well. Ninety-four (47.1 percent) of the Gators' 198 starters this season have been freshmen or sophomores.

All that inexperience has certainly affected Florida's bottom line. One year after capturing the national championship with a 13-1 record, the Gators are 6-3 overall, 4-3 in the SEC with last-minute losses to Auburn (20-17) and LSU (28-24) and a two-touchdown defeat to Georgia (42-30) two weeks ago in the 'Cocktail Party' Game.

One week after giving up 541 yards on the ground to Arkansas, USC must deal with a Florida team that's third in the SEC in rushing offense (189.4 yards). What's unusual about the Gators is their leading rusher is quarterback Tim Tebow, who is averaging 66.4 rushing yards per game. Most of his yards come out of the shotgun.

"They've got an excellent running game," Spurrier said. "We've not been real super stopping that shotgun. Hopefully, we'll try some different things, different from what we tried last week, and see if we can't make them throw the ball. Florida probably has the best balanced offense in the league."

In order to beat Florida for the second time in three years, USC must avoid falling behind early. The Gamecocks have been outscored 66-16 in the first half over the last three games.

Spurrier is prepared to shake off last week's poor performance by the defense as an aberration. Certainly, he believes the unit has the capability to perform at a much higher level.

"Our defense has played a little better than the offense most of the year until last Saturday night," Spurrier said. "I don't know if Arkansas was that great a running team or we're that bad. I guess we're going to find out as we finish the season here. But we had not been quite that poor against the run."

Besides surrendering the highest rushing total in school history, the USC defense also allowed Arkansas to convert on 10-of-13 third down opportunities.

The Gamecocks are currently eighth in the SEC in both total offense (371.4 yards per game) and total defense (355.7 ypg). Those rankings are substandard considering USC has hoped to contend for a SEC championship this season.

"Maybe our team's not quite as strong as we hoped right now," Spurrier said. "We hope to be there someday. When our team's up there at the top of the conference in defense and offense and we're getting our butts beat, you need to ask me 'How do you account for that? Right now, we're eighth in the league in offense and defense and special teams hasn't done much except rough the punters."

USC is already bowl eligible despite the Gamecocks' current difficulties running the football and stopping the run. Of course, falling behind early in games has forced USC to throw the ball more than they would have liked.

Blake Mitchell threw a career-high 51 passes against Arkansas, the third highest single game mark in school history and the most since Steve Taneyhill attempted 51 passes against Georgia in 1995.

Over the past two games, USC has completed 61 of 101 passes for 694 yards, totaled 990 yards of offense and generated 60 first downs. After going eight quarters without a touchdown, the Gamecocks have scored 60 points in the last six quarters, an average of 10.0 points per period.

Spurrier is unimpressed. Instead, he's focused on the many mistakes the Gamecocks have made to prevent them from winning either game.

"I'm not very proud of how our offense has played the last two weeks," Spurrier said. "We've had crucial errors in crucial times. We left a bunch of points out there against Arkansas. We had an illegal procedure on the five-yard line and we couldn't get a wide receiver to line up correctly, things like that. We missed a couple of open guys. We win and lose as a team."

USC is currently 11th in the SEC (95th in the NCAA) in rushing offense (121.6 ypg) and 11th in rushing defense (206.5 ypg). Surrendering 541 rushing yards to Arkansas has dropped USC to 104th out of 119 schools in the NCAA.

"You don't like it when your run defense is not that good and your rush offense is not very good," Spurrier said. "We're down near the bottom in both those categories right now. So we're sort of a 50/50 team right now."

Regardless of USC's problems running the ball this season, running back Cory Boyd has rushed for 785 yards and has a chance to become the Gamecocks first 1,000-yard rusher since Derek Watson ran for 1,066 yards in 2000. Boyd's single season high is 823 yards in 2006.

In the last two games, Boyd has rushed 37 times for 254 yards and two touchdowns.

With nine SEC schools already bowl eligible, USC will likely have to win a seventh game to secure a bowl bid. The Gamecocks have two chances left to pick up that coveted win.

After hosting Florida Saturday night, USC has a week off before arch-rival Clemson arrives at Williams-Brice Stadium on Nov. 24.

But earning a bowl berth is the furthest thing from Spurrier's mind right now as he tries to end USC's three-game losing streak.

"I've got a lot more concerns at this point, like trying to find somebody who can make a few tackles (and) a little blocking," Spurrier said. "Blocking and tackling is my concern right now."

Spurrier is also unconcerned about the fact USC will face on Saturday the team he led to seven SEC titles in 12 years as head coach. Spurrier is 1-1 against the Gators, including a 30-22 victory in 2005 and a heartbreaking 17-16 loss last season in Gainesville.

"The story line is over, really," Spurrier said. "I've been here three years now and their coach has been there three years, so it's not a story. It's significant only in that they won the national championship last year, they're the defending conference champ, so it'll be neat to beat them if we could. We haven't beaten them much in the history of our school. Really, we need to concern ourselves with our guys playing the best we can."

DEPTH CHART FOR FLORIDA GAME:

OFFENSE
Quarterback – Mitchell (Beecher OR Smelley)
Running Back – C. Boyd (Davis)
Fullback – Stafford (DiMarco)
Wide Receiver – McKinley (M. Brown and Freeman)
Wide Receiver – Lecorn (F. Brown and Culliver)
Left Tackle – Meredith
Left Guard – S. Brown (Thind)
Center – W. Brown (Anderson)
Right Guard – Batchelor (Jeanpierre)
Right Tackle – Sorensen (Batchelor)
Tight End – A. Boyd (Cook)

DEFENSE
Defensive End – Norwood (R. Brown)
Defensive Tackle – Hall (Williams)
Defensive Tackle – Ajiboye (Reaves)
Defensive End – C. Brinkley (Robertson)
Strongside Linebacker – Paulk (Sinclair)
Middle Linebacker – Sapp (Ingram)
Weakside Linebacker – Matthews (Wells)
Cornerback – Munnerlyn (Williams)
Free Safety – Stewart (Hampton)
Strong Safety – Cook (Hampton)
Cornerback – Thomas (Woodson).

Please explain linde

I think in normal situations, I would give us a very long look as a home dog but I just think right now there is too much going against this team. They have played 10 games this year and not one has been a complete 4 quarter effort. They have not had a bye week yet which is also very important. Captain Munnerlyn is questionable and he is the best corner. Emanuel Cook is banged up but the severity of the injury is being kept under wraps, he is the leading tackler. I think the offense is going to score a decent amount of points, they've found a combo on the OL and they have been performing better except for the RT. I don't know how healthy Tebow is but SC is a very bad defense vs. the spread option. I am 95% sure my play on this game will be on the over.

You obviously know more about me when it comes to SC, but I simply think this team is too well-coached to just lay down in the atmosphere they're about to enter Saturday night. I saw how well they can play in the spotlight first-hand, even if they don't have excellent QB play or a first-class defense. Throw in the fact UF can be scored on, and it will be one hell of an environment for the Gators to just walk in and dominate, and I think they look appealing catching around a TD. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think SC can correct some of their recent woes for atleast this game.

You obviously know more about me when it comes to SC, but I simply think this team is too well-coached to just lay down in the atmosphere they're about to enter Saturday night. I saw how well they can play in the spotlight first-hand, even if they don't have excellent QB play or a first-class defense. Throw in the fact UF can be scored on, and it will be one hell of an environment for the Gators to just walk in and dominate, and I think they look appealing catching around a TD. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think SC can correct some of their recent woes for atleast this game.

Valid points.

I worry about Tebow gashing our defense with the read option, we have been abused by it.

I would not consider playing SC without Cook and Munneryln, the defense simply does not have the depth to replace them and be effective.

The scene and the stadium will be crazy and maybe they can carry the team but they can't take the fans out of the game in the 1st half by dropping down big early like they have the last 2 weeks. They have been down a combined 42-3 at half vs. Tenn/Arky

I do think we will score a bunch on UF, just think they might score a little too many.

I think Spurrier has been hinting that he might need to trade score for score in this one.

I really think Cornelius Ingram is going to have a monster day because we don't have a LB/S that can cover him.

Right now, I am not very confident we win this game which makes me wonder how many we lose by.

I think I am playing any total under 70

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Nothing of major importance in this tibit, they seem to be keeping the injury info on the DL

A few tidbits from Tuesday's practice....
</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
From what I hear about last night’s practice, it was extremely lively and physical. One great example is I understand Ladi Ajiboye and Justin Sorensen had a “physical exchange” after a particular play, which seemed to fire up the players on both sides of the ball. I expect the team is going to take a “nothing to lose” approach this week and just go out and play football.

One big key to this weekend’s game is slowing down Florida’s very talented defensive ends, such as Derrick Harvey and Jermaine Cunningham. There’s going to be a lot of pressure on Jamon Meredith and Sorensen to play better football than they have as of late and these will likely be the best group of defensive ends they’ve faced all year. They won’t be alone, though, as I expect them to get help from the tight ends and the backs at times, too.

Freddie Brown and Moe Brown are both starting to show more consistency in practice, although both have been passed by Dion Lecorn.

Defensively, they know they have to contain Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin and Bubba Caldwell. Shutting them down isn’t going to happen, but they can’t fall into the same trap they did against Arkansas. Look for a more aggressive defense, one that attacks more and tries to force Florida to do things they don’t want to do.

On special teams, they continue to work on coverage and returns. Look for Kenny McKinley to return punts if Captain Munnerlyn can’t play. Chris Culliver is starting to get more and more comfortable as a kick returner, but they really want him to be more fearless than he has been thus far. Almost all great kick returners run with no fear, and Culliver’s not quite to that point, but he’s getting closer. Once he reaches that point, watch out.

Defense looks to Bounce Back
Scott Hood

Eric Norwood could have been speaking for the entire South Carolina defense.

Norwood, a defensive end that's second on the team in tackles with 56, acknowledges he performed poorly in last Saturday's 48-36 loss to Arkansas.

How bad was it?

"Individually, I think I probably played my worst game since my freshman year," Norwood said. "I was out of my gap on some plays. I have to redeem myself this weekend. As a team, we have to have redeem ourselves."

Arkansas running back Darren McFadden tied the SEC record for most rushing yards in a game with 321. But he wasn't the only Hog running back the Gamecock had trouble stopping.

Norwood said reviewing the entire game film was a painful experience.

"It hurt a lot more when I watched it and saw how he gained 321 yards," Norwood said. "We saw what we did wrong. We know we can correct it. There were some little things that helped him get those yards. We're going to come out and practice hard. We had a good practice (Monday). We're going to come out energized and ready to go."

The message from the USC coaches to the players this week has been simple: play your assignment.

"It's the same thing they've been preaching since the spring," Norwood said. "Just do your assignment and don't worry about anybody else. Just try to get you job done first before you worry about somebody else's (assignment)."

Felix Jones collected 163 rushing yards on just 12 carries, an average of 13.6 yards per attempt, and scored three touchdowns, two on runs of 40 and 72 yards in the first quarter.

"They had a couple of play where they had an explosive run, and sometimes just one person in the wrong spot can lead to that," outside linebacker Cody Wells said. "We had a good game plan going in. The (defensive) plays we called worked. But it was a person here or a person there on every play that was in the wrong gap or the wrong spot. It was embarrassing."

Head coach Steve Spurrier described the performance of the Gamecock defense against the Razorbacks as "lousy." But the offense had a stinker against Vanderbilt, too, so he's willing to give the defense a mulligan.

"Our offense had a really, really lousy game against Vandy and now our defense had their lousy game," Spurrier said. "We're hoping we can regroup and play a lot better."

Wells is confident the USC defense will bounce back with a solid performance against the Gators. The Gamecocks held UF to a season-low 17 points in last year's hard-fought contest in Gainesville.

"We're going to have to (bounce back), we don't have a choice," Wells said. "We had a lot of missed assignments in last week's game and they ran for a lot of yards against us. That hurts our pride. We know we're a better defense than that. We've watched film to see what happened and see what went wrong. We'll fix it this week."

USC faces another challenge this week trying to stop Florida's high-scoring offense led by quarterback Tim Tebow, the Gator's leading rusher, and the versatile Percy Harvin, one of the fastest players in the country.

"We need all 11 people running to the ball," Wells said. "We people to wrap up, and come ready to hit (Tebow). We need all of our defensive players to swarm the ball. Tebow is a big guy. He's about the size of a linebacker. He's very athletic. He's an all-around good quarterback. He has a strong arm."

Norwood said he hasn't had the opportunity to tackle Tebow yet, but he's impressed from watching the sophomore southpaw on film.

"He's a warrior, I like the way he plays," Norwood said. "I guess he's a little banged up right now but that doesn't matter. They have a lot of great athletes on their team. If we do our jobs, everything will be fine."

Florida rolled over Vanderbilt, 49-22, last Saturday, scoring seven touchdowns and piling up 498 total yards against the same Commodore defense that limited USC to a pair of field goals on Oct. 20.

Both Norwood and Wells, who suffered a torn biceps muscle in last year's Florida game, have experienced first-hand how difficult it is to defend the Gators and their impressive team speed. Harvin, who had six receptions for 91 yards in last year's game, became the first player in Florida history last week to surpass 100 yards receiving and rushing in the same game.

"Florida is big and fast," Wells said. "That's the way you expect a Florida team to be. It's a big challenge. We're stepping up this week. We're going to have a good week of practice. It's going to be more physical and more full-speed."

The failure to slow down the Razorbacks' running game dropped USC to 11th in the SEC in rushing defense (206.5 ypg) and eighth in total defense (355.7 ypg). The Gamecocks remain the top passing defense (149.2 ypg) in the nation.

With the offense now scoring points at a frantic pace (60 points in the last six quarters), USC has a good chance to finish the season on a high note with a pair of victories over Florida and Clemson if the defense can return the form it showed earlier this season.

"It's frustrating to a point," Norwood said. "It was definitely frustrating on Saturday. We've got to get over it and bounce back. We have to be resilient. We can still carry the team. Our offense is clicking right now. We need to start jelling."

Wells, a senior, says he's eager to see the Gamecocks play a complete game on both sides of the football, something that hasn't happened this season. Most games, one side of the ball has excelled while the other has struggled.

"We're still waiting for a game where our offense is great, our defense is great and we put together a full game," Wells said. "We haven't had that yet this season. We're still waiting for it. Hopefully, it will be this week."

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 6px;" valign="top">Tidbits from Wednesday's practice....</td><td style="padding: 6px;" class="" 1="" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">Reply</td></tr></tbody></table><hr color="#cccccc" noshade="noshade"> The current offensive line of Meredith, Thind, Brown, Batchelor and Sorensen has had a very solid week overall, probably the best of the year so far. They are establishing a rapport with each other and their overall confidence as a unit has grown as a result. The tackles, in particular, are facing a tough task this weekend, as Florida’s defensive ends are very athletic and productive, so they need to be ready.

Cory Boyd and Mike Davis both figure to be big parts of the offensive gameplan this weekend. Both played well against the Gators last year, and Florida is hurting on the interior of the defensive line. They will also play a big role in pass protection, as the backs and the tight ends are going to need to provide assistance to the tackles.

Florida is likely to score their share of points in this game, so Spurrier is gearing up his offense with that thought in mind. Carolina needs every point they can put on the scoreboard, and don’t be surprised if you see some plays you haven’t seen so far this year.

The defense is still of the mindset that they have something to prove this week. As has been reported already, Emanuel Cook and Captain Munnerlyn both practiced last night, but it remains to be seen how well they’ll hold up on Saturday.

Based on what I’ve heard, the coaches have put together an excellent gameplan. One that should give them a good shot at notching the victory provided the players execute and avoid costly mistakes.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 6px;" valign="top">Tidbits from Thursday's practice....</td><td style="padding: 6px;" class="" 1="" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">Reply</td></tr></tbody></table><hr color="#cccccc" noshade="noshade"> As is customary, Thursday’s practice was about fine tuning things and confirming the players completely understand the gameplan. The defense continued to work on fumble recovery drills, understanding gap/lane assignments, etc… The linebackers have been challenged as a group to do a much better job of getting off blocks, something they obviously struggled mightily with against Arkansas. The outside linebackers have to be very active this week. The secondary worked on not getting sucked in on the play action Florida employs, as that will be key tomorrow night.

It has been a good week of practice overall for the offense. It all starts with the offensive line play improving and it has fed down to the rest of the offensive players. As an overall group they are reportedly much more confident than they were not that long ago. I would look for a balanced attack on offense tomorrow night, provided Carolina doesn’t dig themselves an early hole where they’re forced to pass to catch up. I also expect some new formations and plays that you haven’t seen so far this year.

Brandon James is one of the best return men in the conference, and has been a huge key to Florida’s success this year. This puts a premium on the Gamecock coverage teams showing significant improvement. The coaches have been in the players’ ears all week about how dangerous Florida’s return game is and how important it is to stay in lanes and go full speed.

It’s been several weeks since Carolina put a good game together on offense, defense and special teams. This could be the week it happens if things fall into place.

I did it ETG, took the Cocks today + 7 1/2. I just hope Spurrier doesnt stick it up my ass again.....LOL But honestly speaking, the only way I see Florida winning is with the run game and I do think Spurrier has a plan for that. Dont you worry, he's been eyeing this game more than any other game in the entire season. He'll be ready. It'll be close. :cheers:

Harvin will not play against South Carolina

By NICK ZACCARDI , Alligator Staff Writer

<!--[timestamp]
--> UF wide receiver Percy Harvin did not travel with the team to South Carolina and will not play in Saturday night's game, his mother said Saturday afternoon.

Linda Harvin said that her son was still dealing with a sinus infection that caused him to miss all of Thursday's practice and part of Wednesday's practice and also had migraine headaches.

The Gators and Gamecocks will play at 7:45 tonight.

Thanks Kyle, sorry Shark that you had to lose that one!

Back from Columbia, was a great trip overall, game was fun and I got to watch my over nearly hit in the 1st half so thats not too bad. Since there is no game this week, I won't make a thread or anything but thought this article was interesting and gives a perspective to why the defense has been VERY BAD the last few weeks. Me personally, I would of put Casper Brinkley at MLB and not DE since he is the closest clone to Jasper on team there is but I ain't a coach. It is just hard to watch this team try to play defense / defend a running QB.

THE PEPPER EFFECT
Tony Morrell
GamecockCentral.com Senior Writer

Heading into the third game of the season, the South Carolina Gamecocks were 2-0, and they were coming off a road victory over the then No. 11 Georgia Bulldogs. Prior to that contest, the Carolina defensive staff moved sophomore Nathan Pepper from defensive tackle to defensive end to give their defense a better chance of stopping the run, and the moved worked very well. USC held the Bulldogs to 128 yards on 31 carries, and 50 of those yards came on one run by Knowshon Moreno, which means they held Georgia to a meager 2.6 yards per carry on the other 30 rushes

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/photo/PEPPER-NATHAN-2-200X267-20060929-PC.JPG', '', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Nathan Pepper should receive a medical hardship for the season-ending injury he suffered in week three.', 'Paul Collins', 1194817354000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
PEPPER-NATHAN-2-200X267-20060929-PC.JPG
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Paul Collins</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Nathan Pepper should receive a medical hardship for the season-ending injury he suffered in week three.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Heading into the next game against S.C. State, it appeared Pepper had found a home at defensive end and the Gamecocks had found the right combination on defense to hold their own against the run throughout the season. Then Pepper picked off an errant pass in the first quarter of that contest with the Bulldogs, returned it for a touchdown and a celebration ensued in the end zone. All seemed well in Williams-Brice Stadium. That is, until every Gamecock player involved in the celebration got up but Pepper didn't. As it turned out, he tore a ligament in his knee in the back of the end zone and the injury was season-ending.

The next week, Carolina traveled to Baton Rouge, La., to take on the then No. 2 LSU Tigers. In the week leading up to that game, the Gamecock staff was forced to move Casper Brinkley from weakside linebacker back to the defensive end spot he had manned in 2006 to offset the loss of Pepper. To replace Brinkley, Carolina was forced to move talented true freshman Cliff Matthews from his natural position of defensive end to a linebacker spot he had never played. And he was being asked to pull it off with cast on his hand designed to help a broken bone in his hand heal. The strongside linebacker spot has been manned by sophomore Rodney Paulk, who has reportedly fought through pain all year long stemming from a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason.

In that LSU game, preseason All-American middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley tore a ligament in his knee and his season was also finished. The best player on the Gamecock team, the leader of the defense and a potential first round pick was now gone for theyear.

Still defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix was hopeful his starting linebacker from 2005, Dustin Lindsey, was going to be able to return to full strength after re-aggravating a spring knee injury in his only snap of the game against Georgia. His return could help lessen the blow of losing Jasper Brinkley for the year. But that was not to be either, as we now know, Lindsey's injury also ended up being season-ending.

So Carolina was then forced to replace Brinkley at middle linebacker with Marvin Sapp, who was now going to start at a position he'd never played at the college level. At 225 pounds, he was also undersized for the spot. While Sapp has had his moments and filled in admirably overall, he's not in Jasper Brinkley's league as a player can't be expected to be. They were also counting a Melvin Ingram to help in the middle. While he has a bright future, he just wasn't ready to make the kind of impact this year the coaches had hoped for.

An undersized middle linebacker, a defensive end playing weakside linebacker and an injured strongside linebacker isn't exactly what they had planned for this season.

Also, to that point in the season, starting safety Brandon Isaac had shown a knack from making plays close to or behind the line of scrimmage and was one of the hardest hitters in the Gamecock secondary. Then the shoulder problems off-season surgery was supposed to fix returned and it got to the point where Isaac was playing but very limited because of the shoulder issues.

Up front defensively, Carolina came into this season with a more talented defensive line, but still a very young one overall. Ladi Ajiboye has started most of the year at tackle as a true freshman. Jonathan Williams, a first year junior college transfer, has started off and on all year and played a key role in each game. True freshman Travian Robertson started early in the year and has played a key backup role when not starting. Backup defensive end spent the entire spring at fullback before moving to defensive end in the fall once it became evident Jordin Lindsey wasn't going to be academically eligible.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/video/BRINKLEYJ-20070915-200X267-TB.JPG', '', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley has said he plans to return to USC in 2008, provided he receives the medical hardship waiver as expected.', 'Travis Bell/Sideline Carolina', 1194817440000, '', 1014, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=202>
BRINKLEYJ-20070915-200X267-TB.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Travis Bell/Sideline Carolina</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley has said he plans to return to USC in 2008, provided he receives the medical hardship waiver as expected.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->All teams battle injuries throughout the year and Carolina is no exception. In terms of the overall number of injuries, they haven't suffered an inordinate amount. However, I would submit some of the defensive players they could least afford to lose have been lost and it had a chain reaction effect on their defense as a whole. I also firmly believe a starting linebacker corp of Brinkley, Brinkley and Lindsey playing behind a defensive line of Eric Norwood, Hall, Ajiboye and Pepper would have given the Carolina coaches the exact front-seven they needed to be stout against the run and consistently pressure the quarterback.

Nix and his staff masked their weaknesses as long as they could, but the holes eventually caught up with them, culminating the last two weeks against Arkansas and Florida. The Gamecock defense also seems to be feeling the effects of having played 11 straight weeks without a break, as they are nowhere near as fast to the ball as they were earlier in the year.

There is no doubt in my mind that Steve Spurrier has assembled a quality defensive staff and one that is talented enough to consistently field a quality defense for him when the personnel is in place. But coaches can only do so much. They can prepare players in practice and design a gameplan, but they can't force the players to stick to it. They can teach a player how to take the proper angle in practice, but they can't do it for the players in the game. They can teach a player how to tackle, but they can't tackle for them. They can teach a player how to get off a block quickly, but they can't do it for them. The players have to make plays, and they simply haven't done it the last two games.

Now this Gamecock team heads into the much needed bye week with a matchup against the surging Clemson Tigers looming on November 23rd. Only time will tell if the two weeks to prepare will be enough for Spurrier and his staff to prepare their team for victory. All they can do is go with the players they have available. I still can't help but wonder what could have been in 2007 had things unfolded differently from an injury standpoint.

Last edited:
Back