Week 11 (11/6-11/10) CFB Picks and News

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
46-46-2 (50%) -31.82 units

-------------------

All plays for $400 unless noted.

Picks
ASU -7 (-110) $800
Michigan -2' (-104)
BC -6 (-110)
BGSU -3 (-110)
Utah -13 (-110)
ECU -7 (+105)

Last edited:
Rudy Ruettiger could have stopped this November 5, 2007

Posted by Jai Eugene in Notre Dame, Notre Dame Football, SEC Football, charlie Weis.
trackback
Charlie Weis has Notre Dame going in the right direction. Otherwise all these losses would be difficult to take. Think of Notre Dame Football as an Aircraft Carrier (No pun intended) that you are trying to turn 360 degrees in the middle of the ocean. It takes time, people.
O91846.jpg

Domers, “You rule”! Your amazing near victory over Navy is indication that you are well on your way back to becoming the pinnacle of NCAA football! Navy is a good team…remember that they held their own in the fight with 1AA Delaware Blue Hens last week before succumbing. Listen Domers, Coach Weis knows what he’s doing. Do you remember during last week’s news interview when he said, “it’s not whether you lose, it’s how much fun you have losing!” No? You don’t remember the interview? I just made that up, just kidding. Coach was just kidding…I’m just baiting the hook and he will bring you the victory over Air Force and the JJ Reddick led Duke Blue Devils.
Look, you Irish fans have got to quit being selfish and put Coach Weis’s feelings ahead of your own desires to see an Irish win. He’s a human being, he has a family and he’s good for the ND nation. If the Knute were still alive he would say, “keep Coach Charlie Weis 4 ever!”
And for those Tennessee kids, Harrison Smith and Golden Tate, that signed with Notre Dame? I hope you enjoy the next 4 years of non-bowl hell.

Ok, I'm looking for video of the following:

1. The 4th and 8 play in the Notre Dame/Navy game where the Navy player flies over the tackle for the sack a la Waterboy.
2. Jamaal Charles in the 4th vs Okie Light, especially the 75 yard TD run.

God I Love This Game

Where should I start? Where can I start? I mean seriously, after 43 years, more than double my life mind you, where could I possibly start?

I guess the only place to start is at the end, more specifically the play you’ve by now seen a million times, and, if you’re like me, could see a million times again. It was a play that probably never should have happened to be honest, a play that was born from a questionable pass interference penalty that seemed to once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But after 43 years, three overtimes and a fourth and goal stop called back, Navy’s much aligned defense wasn’t going to settle for another week of woulda, coulda, and shouldas, and wasn’t about to let the window slip away.

It was a fitting end to a game which Navy fans are already calling one of, if not the best finishes in the program’s long history, as Navy’s much maligned defense stood tall and stopped Travis Thomas in the backfield on a second fourth and goal in the third overtime. It was, as it has been said many times today by many different people, the stuff of which legends are born, and I consider myself both extremely blessed and extremely fortunate to have witnessed it in person.
When I got back from the airport this morning I read that Coach Johnson gave the team three keys to success in his pregame speech. He told them, three strait times, to believe that they could win. Never was a cliché more apt or appropriate, and never have they rung more true. Navy won this game for a lot of reasons, many of which we will undoubtedly look into in the coming days, and not the least of which was the final stop on fourth and goal.

But if you ask me, Navy won this game because in the end the Mids wanted it more, and because in the end players like Ram Vela decided that they didn’t want to be the guy who was remembered for missing an easy sack that allowed the Irish to climb back in. It was because a guy like Nate Frazier played his ass off all game, and that what looked to be a hodgepodge of defensive backs before a game showed up and made plays when it mattered.

As I look back on this game, typing this report while watching my taped copy for the second time this evening, I can’t help but stare at disbelief at the screen for a moment, asking myself if this really happened, if I was really there. But watching those vital snapshots, the images of Vela over Allen and Kahur-Pitters rumbling into the endzone let me know that what we saw last night was something that we as Navy fans will never forget.

There have been some people who’ve already started saying that this win doesn’t mean as much because of Notre Dame’s 1-8 record. These people have no idea what they are talking about. As Coach Johnson said last week, this is still Notre Dame, still bigger and stronger, still faster and more athletic, and still filled with 43 years of winning tradition over the Midshipmen. For an outsider, it may have been hard to see a David vs Glioth matchup in a showdown of 1-7 and 4-4 teams, but make no mistake about it, that’s what it was yesterday, and will be for some time to come. But for one time, just one time, David came out top, and in the process vindicated 43 years worth of balls to the walls never-say-die Navy football players. And to think, all it took was a little belief, and a defense that refused to quit.

God, do I love this game.

Haha at Kansas fans:

"Rip his $%*&!! head off!"

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKav-z0yzZo&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKav-z0yzZo&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

UCLA's Cowan released from hospital

Posted: Monday November 5, 2007 1:06AM; Updated: Monday November 5, 2007 1:06AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- UCLA quarterback Patrick Cowan was released from the University of Arizona Hospital emergency room late Saturday night after being treated for a concussion and collapsed lung.
He won't return to Los Angeles until early this week.
Cowan sustained a concussion in the third quarter of the Bruins' 34-27 loss to Arizona on Saturday, and was taken to the hospital after experiencing discomfort and shortness of breath. Tests showed he has a slight collapse of his right lung.
He is unable to fly because of the injury, so will take ground transportation back to California, probably on Monday.
It wasn't immediately known when Cowan would be able to play again. With regular quarterback Ben Olson already sidelined by a knee injury, the Bruins turned to Osaar Rasshan to replace Cowan against the Wildcats.
Rasshan, who had been converted to wide receiver then switched back to quarterback, guided the Bruins to a pair of field goals and a touchdown after taking over.
UCLA, which has lost three of its last four games to drop to 5-4, faces No. 9 Arizona State at the Rose Bowl on Saturday. Rasshan likely will make his first start.

Tennessee DT Nelson out for season

Posted: Monday November 5, 2007 1:04AM; Updated: Monday November 5, 2007 1:04AM

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee defensive tackle Chase Nelson will miss the remainder of the season after dislocating his wrist in the Volunteers' 59-7 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette.
Coach Phillip Fulmer said Sunday the sophomore underwent surgery following Saturday's game and will be out for eight to 10 weeks.
Wide receiver Austin Rodgers, who was limited in Saturday's contest, was also banged up, but Fulmer said he hopes to have the Vols' second-leading receiver back for this week's game against Arkansas.
"He's got a bruised shoulder-type thing going on, so we're hopeful that he'll be back for the weekend," Fulmer said. "But he'll be limited early in the week."

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Thoughts - It's Oregon's World </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
492763.jpg

Oregon QB Dennis Dixon
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 5, 2007
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Is Dennis Dixon really having that much better a season than other quarterbacks? Why aren't other teams getting the same love Oregon is? The superstar to pay attention to, the team that's going to slip into the BCS, and a big call in the latest 5 Thoughts.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Five Thoughts: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8 | Week
And the Heisman goes to ...
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Is this the bizarre Heisman race ever? I was a guest on a Sunday night radio show and was asked who my vote would go to right now, and I froze. I actually had to pause before firing out an, "Uhhh, I dunno."

Dennis Dixon is certainly having a tremendous year, but is he a poor man's Vince Young, a great do-it-all player who's carrying a team to a big season, or is he Brad Banks (if you have to Google him, you get the point) who's having a phenomenal year on an above-average team that just keeps winning?

We're talking about the Heisman here. This turns players into legends, and allows names like Eric Crouch and Jason White to stay alive forever, while, well, Brad Banks and other players who came close become footnotes.

Dixon is having a very nice year with 20 touchdown passes and three interceptions to go along with 549 yards and eight rushing touchdowns. Good numbers, great leadership. Heisman? Maybe. Troy Smith had similar numbers through nine games last year, but his team is unbeaten, while Dixon threw two of his three picks in the loss to Cal.

Is Dixon having a better year than, say, Clemson's Cullen Harper, who has thrown 24 touchdown passes with four interceptions? How about Missouri's Chase Daniel, who has thrown for 23 touchdowns and nine interceptions, but has bombed away for 2,954 yards to Dixon's 2,074? Daniel's loss came on the road at Oklahoma, who's ranked No. 5 in the BCS. Dixon's loss came at home to a Cal team that went into the tank. Todd Reesing of Kansas, unlike Dixon, has his team unbeaten, and has thrown for 23 touchdowns and four interceptions with more yards (2,334)

I'm not slamming Dixon and I'm not even saying he's not a worthy front-runner; I'm just pointing out that he's having a good year at the same time when plenty of other quarterbacks are doing the same thing. And then there's Florida's Tim Tebow, who's having the best year of any quarterback, leading the nation in passing efficiency, has thrown for one more touchdown than Dixon, one more interception, 154 more passing yards, has rushed for more yards (549) and has more rushing touchdowns (14) all while playing through a banged up shoulder in the SEC.

To me, the Heisman goes to the signature player in a given college football season, and goes to the player who defined the year. And yeah, at the moment, that's probably Dixon. Last week it was Matt Ryan. The week before it was Tebow. The week before it was Andre Woodson. The week before it was Mike Hart.

Welcome to the 2007 Heisman chase.

And because the Nike clad nation isn't grouchy enough after that ...
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
2. Oregon fans, before getting all ticked off at me, I'm not disrespecting your team or trying to be negative in any way. I'm not ripping, hating, or firing. I'm trying to put a puzzle together, your team happens to be the key piece at the moment, and I can't make it fit.

Last week I said that beating Arizona State would mean once and for all that Oregon is the real deal, but even after the big win, I’m still missing what all the hubbub is about with these Ducks, and I honestly can’t figure out why. This was a fantastic team Oregon beat, and I still believe it’ll end up going to the Rose Bowl, so shouldn’t the 35-23 victory have convinced me? Shouldn’t four touchdown passes from Dennis Dixon all but seal the Heisman? According to all the talking heads, yes, but I can't shake the feeling that ASU would've won in Tempe. I can't get the image of a banged up Rudy Carpenter lighting up the Oregon secondary like a Christmas tree for big second half yards. I feel like there’s a party going on and I didn’t get an invitation.

I continue to see a defense that gives up yards in chunks, and got two big breaks on turnovers that came more because ASU screwed up than anything the Duck D did. The defensive line, especially Nick Reed, generated a ton of pressure all game long, but got pushed around too much against the run.

Comparing apples to oranges, Ducks to Sooners, Jayhawks to Tigers, Mountaineers to Buckeyes, I’m missing, exactly, what about this Oregon team is so much better than about ten other teams ranked behind it. I’m missing why Missouri isn't in the national title hunt with its loss coming at Oklahoma, one of the top five teams in America, and Oregon is being hugged and kissed despite losing at home to Cal. I’m missing why hanging 50 on Fresno State, Stanford, Washington State and Washington is more impressive than Kansas hanging 76 on Nebraska and going to Kansas State, Colorado and Texas A&M and winning. I'm missing why West Virginia, with a better running game and better defense, but not as good a passing game, is out after losing a tough battle against South Florida on the road in a biggest-game-ever atmosphere, and without Pat White for a stretch, but Oregon got a free pass for its loss.

Why is Oregon getting the love? Exposure. For the first time in years, a non-USC team from the Pac 10 has the spotlight on it, and it's coming through big-time. Everyone wanted to see what Michigan was going to do after the loss to Appalachian State. Oregon 39, Michigan 7. Everyone wanted to see Cal at Autzen. It was a Duck loss, but by inches on a late fumble. Everyone was watching when USC lost in Autzen, and the national spotlight was on when Arizona State came to town last week. And you've watched Kansas and Missouri play how many times? Do you even know what channel Fox Sports Net is on your system?

Again, I'm not criticizing Oregon. I'm pointing out that it's time to start looking at other teams as well, and I'm trying to come around and jump on the Duck bandwagon so I don't look like a total idiot late on January 7th when Dixon is holding a crystal egg-looking thing over his head.

You know, the team with the guy who proposed to the cheerleaderBy Richard Cirminiello [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT]. Ever since the early part of September, Hawaii has stood alone as that non-BCS program hoping to crash the annual 10-team bowl parade of big hype and even bigger payouts. Are the Warriors, however, about to get company from a familiar face in this discussion? Ever so quietly, Boise State, last year’s Cinderella on steroids, has climbed back into the picture with seven consecutive wins since losing to Washington back on Sept. 8. The Broncos are using a familiar formula for success, a balanced offense, great blocking up front, and an underrated and undersized defense. Now, with three games left, they’ve pulled all the way up to No. 20 spot in the latest BCS rankings, or just four spots behind Hawaii and eight spots removed from an automatic invitation to one of the five marquee games. Both schools have the same problem, a lack of a quality win, so they’re looking at each other for help. The Warriors need the Broncos to keep winning. The Broncos need the Warriors to remain unbeaten. The two meet on Nov. 23 with a chance to catapult up the charts at the other’s expense. Can a one-loss team from the WAC earn a bid to a BCS bowl game? If it’s Boise State, it just might because this is not your garden variety mid-major. In the eyes of voters, the program earned the benefit of the doubt by beating Oklahoma in last year’s Fiesta Bowl, one of the great games in the history of the sport.

QB Taylor Tharp has gotten hot. RB Ian Johnson is getting healthy. And Bronco fans are starting believe that they could be packing up and heading south again after the holidays. It could happen. In this most bizarre season, just about anything could and probably will happen.

The Sunday night star who'll soon by playing on Sunday[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] John Harris[/SIZE]

4. Due in large part to Conference USA’s decision to play any night of the week, Sunday night you got the opportunity to watch the most dynamic RB/WR duo in the nation. Wait, what? CUSA has the what? Yes, that’s not a misprint – the “Quick Six and DA Show” has been making appearances all over the nation and no team has slowed them down yet.

Quick Six is University of Houston running back Anthony Alridge, who has rushed for 1,063 yards, has 31 catches for 343 yards and accounted for 13 TDs on the season. DA is wide receiver Donnie Avery, who has 56 catches for 981 yards (17.5 YPC) and five touchdowns.
Both have legit 4.3 speed (rumored to be even faster) and can turn a three and a half hour game into a track meet. The two were the first duo in history to have 300 yards receiving (Avery) and 200 yards rushing (Alridge) in the same game (against Rice). But, they’re just CUSA guys, you say? How about the fact that Alridge accounted for 344 total yards against the number three team in the country Oregon? How about DA’s 26 yards per catch and a touchdown against Alabama in Tuscaloosa?
Don’t believe me? Just ask Nick Saban. He had this to say about #22 Alridge…
“I don’t care who 22 plays for; the guy’s a good player. Probably as good as any we’ve seen this year.”
You’ll find it out, too.
The term is: Lack of forward progress
By Matthew Zemek

The play that decided the LSU-Alabama classic was ruled correctly on the field...

...or was it?

There are two calls consistently made by officiating crews that I (still) fail to understand in my 32nd year of life and the eighth year of the 21st century. One is when a quarterback gets hit, the ball squirts backward, and a forward pass is ruled because the QB's arm was moving forward at the time of the throw. If the ball travels backwards, how can a forward pass be ruled? Even with arm action, the backward flight of the ball means that a lateral has been thrown, albeit unintentionally. Someone please explain the logic behind that rule. Can't officials override the "arm moving foward" provision with a simple identification of a ball's backward flight?

The second call is what we saw on John Parker Wilson's (cough, cough) "fumble" against LSU. Technically, Wilson's knees weren't down, which led everyone to conclude that the fumble was legit. As soon as I saw the replay, I knew the ruling would stand.

Here's the problem with that kind of play, however: simply stated, Wilson was being thrown backwards (see, it all comes back to backward movement in these two cases; one instance involves a backward-flying ball, the other a backward-flying body). This means that the quarterback's forward progress had been stopped. Such a contention is airtight and beyond debate.

Whenever this play occurs, I have rarely if ever seen officials rule that forward progress has been stopped. Sure, the lack of a whistle might mean that the play is still live--which means that a fumble ruling can be legally made by the officials--but upon further review, one should be able to make a reasonable determination that forward progress has been stopped.

The state of Alabama knows that I'm not exactly the leader of the Nick Saban Fan Club, but fair is fair: the Crimson Tide deserved a better, wiser, and more clear-headed ruling on a play that is regularly misinterpreted by officials. The "forward progress" provision is by far the least cited element of the entire college football rulebook. No dimension of the sport's rules has more of an impact on plays while being simultaneously ignored on so many crucial occasions. If you watch 14 hours of football every Saturday, you'd know how little the "forward progress" provision really means when it comes to interpreting "fumble/dead ball" judgment calls. Alabama fans discovered this reality in a painful way; better judgment from officials would have sent Saturday's game into overtime.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Georgia vs. Auburn Injury and Personnel Updates
offense+knowshon+moreno+vs+oklahoma+state.jpg

The Moreno the Better

Thoughts on Troy vs. UGA later. For now...

Updates around the Dawg Nation as of tonight:
  • -- The AJC says that Thomas Brown may play vs. Auburn, but Richt isn't saying how much because it all depends on how he practices on Tuesday. The AJC also says that Kade Weston's ankle looks to be in pretty solid shape.

-- Update: Ching has more injury news from the Sunday conference call.

-- DawgPost.com explains why Remarcus Brown and Asher Allen were both returning kickoffs. Apparently, Asher was just winded from playing so much DB. Editorial: Why on earth was Prince Miller one of the blocking backs for the kickoff return team? We've got umpteen fullbacks and tight ends. Is it really the best idea to have one of the smallest men on the team blocking in that spot? He's not always out there, but it makes no sense to me when he is.

-- AUTigers.com ($) says that the Tigers are in pretty good shape despite playing 10 games in a row without a bye week. Plus, it sounds like they're getting damn near everyone back for the Georgia game. Groves played on Saturday vs. TTU; although, he played linebacker instead of DE. One of the reasons the 10 games in a row might not hurt the Tigers is the heavy, heavy use of backups vs Tennessee Tech.

-- Auburn has a new #2 quarterback; although, they don't plan on using him. They expect Cox to go the distance.
Unrelated, but interest:
Tony Barnhart talks about conference champion and BCS scenarios in the AJC. It's interesting that Tommy Bowden now controls his own destiny at Clemson. Can you imagine Clemson vs. Georgia in the Orange Bowl? It's a huge stretch but possible if Clemson wins out, Georgia wins out, LSU loses to ARK, and UT loses to LSU in the SEC Championship game. So you're saying there's a chance. We could also play them in the Sugar Bowl, but that would require another very long list of things. Regardless, it would be cooler than playing a half-assed Hawaii team.

Haha at Kansas fans:

"Rip his $%*&!! head off!"

<OBJECT height=366 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QKav-z0yzZo&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>Certainly they can do better than that...

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Who's Hot & Who's Not - Nov. 4 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
492588.jpg

Clemson QB Cullen Harper
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 4, 2007
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Cullen Harper, Virginia and Michigan State in close games, and Kansas in the fourth quarter.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: [/SIZE] Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8 | Week 9

Who’s Hot …
Clemson QB Cullen HarperDon't go assuming Boston College's Matt Ryan is the best quarterback in the ACC. One of the biggest surprises of the conference season has been Clemson's Cullen Harper, who many Tiger fans were ready to replace with superstar recruit Willy Korn to start the year. Harper, a junior, leads the ACC in passing efficiency with 23 touchdowns and just four interceptions while completing 65% of his passes. Over a current three-game winning streak, Harper has completed 57 of 74 passes (77%) for 636 yards and nine touchdowns with just one interception. Wake Forest is up next.

Texas in the fourth quarter, and RB Jamaal Charles
Against Nebraska, the Longhorns scored 19 points in the fourth quarter with
Charles tearing off touchdown runs from 25, 86 and 40 yards out. Down 35-14 to Oklahoma State this week, Texas scored 24 in the fourth with Charles scoring on touchdown dashes from 18 and 75 yards out. Over the last two weeks, Charles has rushed for 470 yards and six touchdowns averaging 9.6 yards per carry. Texas Tech is up next.
Kansas at home
How's this for home cooking? Kansas is 6-0 at home this year beating Central Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, FIU, Baylor and Nebraska by a combined score of 348 to 72. That's an average of 58-12. Iowa State comes to Lawrence on November 17th.

Memphis QB Martin Hankins
Memphis lost to East Carolina 56-40 after winning two straight, but it wasn't the fault of senior QB Martin Hankins, who completed 34 of 60 passes for 416 yards and four touchdowns with two interceptions. In the three games since coming back from injury, he has completed 80 of 130 passes for 1,077 yards (averaging 359 per game) with nine touchdowns and four interceptions. Up next is Southern Miss.

Virginia in close games

The Cavaliers are now 8-2 after beating Wake Forest 17-16. Their last three wins have come by one point each, while six of the eight wins have come by a grand total of 12 points, beating North Carolina by two, Georgia Tech by five, Middle Tennessee by two, and Connecticut, Maryland and Wake Forest by one.
Who’s Not … [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Miami QB Kirby Freeman[/FONT]There was a quarterback battle for the starting Miami job coming into the season, with junior Kirby Freeman battling with Kyle Wright. A star recruit, things haven't exactly worked out for Freeman, especially this year, stepping in for an oft-injured Wright to complete 18 of 58 passes (31%) for 256 yards and three touchdowns with six interceptions. How bad have things gotten? He completed four of 11 passes for 59 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions in the win over Florida State, and then he completed one of 14 passes for 84 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions in the loss to NC State.

Ole Miss QB Brent Schaeffer
Ole Miss has been searching for continuity at quarterbacks, but Seth Adams has been inconsistent while battling injuries. In comes Brent Schaeffer, the former Tennessee Volunteer who was the starter for most of last year, he struggled last year completing just 47% of his throws with nine touchdown passes and ten interceptions, while showing little of his running ability. This year he's been simply awful, completing 12 of 35 passes (34%) for 255 yards with three touchdowns and an interception. He completed three of 13 passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in the win over Northwestern State.

Troy turnovers
Troy has been solid over the last several weeks, winning seven straight before battling in a loss to Georgia, but it's had problems hanging on to the ball lately. The Trojans have lost seven interceptions and eight fumbles making it 15 turnovers in three weeks. Western Kentucky, with a solid 21 takeaways on the year, is up next.

Michigan State in close gamesThe Spartans are on a three-game losing streak and have lost five games this year. All five losses have come by a touchdown or less, losing to Wisconsin by three, to Northwestern by seven in overtime, to Ohio State by seven, to Iowa by seven in overtime, and this week, to Michigan by four. Purdue is up next.

Notre Dame's passing offense
Navy had allowed 191 passing yards or more in every game and an average of 281 yards per game with 19 touchdowns and just six interceptions. Notre Dame ran on the Midshipmen, but managed a mere 140 yards with two touchdowns. In other words, the Irish faced one of the nation's worst pass defenses and saw its passing offense ranking go down. To put this into perspective, the Irish is 114th in the nation in passing offense, and is averaging 48 yards per game more than Navy, who's last in the country. However, the Midshipmen are averaging 277 more rushing yards per game.

From Sad to Pathetic

So... like you, I watched KU completely humiliate the defense formerly known as “blackshirts” with ease and disdain usually saved for 1-AA teams. (And usually not administered by fraudulent teams such as Kansas). As the game began, I saw Joe Ganz battling, I saw Mo Purify actually making some great catches, and appear to actually want to be there. I saw players who apparently were highly touted in high school, make some plays and battle back against a superior, yet incredibly overrated football team.

But then adversity reared it's ugly head. Watching the next 3+ hours, you would think I would feel sorry or pity for a team and a fan base that has been so good for so long. Despite my hatred for all things red, this season my hatred for all things red and blue (and that stupid yellow..who the hell throws yellow in there?) is even hotter. Even so, didn't you find it the slightest bit sad to see people who care that much, get beat so badly?

So on Saturday, what does Nebraska do? So what do the Huskers do this ONE time in 20+ years where for three measly hours, I am silently rooting for a Husker win? (to help out my own team, who is rolling) What happens when I become a Husker fan for three hours when I need you the most? What happens the ONE time I need you to come through?

You all quit.

When all this started, it was kinda sad. As much as I hate to admit it...even I felt a bit sadness and pity for NU fans and players, as they obviously lost their way in mid October. You could see the hurt in players eyes, you could see the coaches actually attempting to try and rectify things…all of the things you would think a “traditional power” would do in times of adversity. But beyond even my wildest forecast, you people have done something in scale and mass unparalled in college football history. You have given up, on the field and off. You have completely conceded the season without a shred of dignity..a shred of respect or even a shred self-worth.

Thanks a hell of a lot.

Before this made me kinda sad and indifferent. Now it’s really pissing me off.

You are now the French army of college football. If this sport was warfare, you would have thrown your hands up, laid down your weapons and walked yourself to the POW camp before the battle even started. If Memorial Stadium was the Champs Elysees, enemy teams would be waltzing through the west stadium football offices, taking staplers, pictures and pretty much anything they wanted, as Husker employees, coaches and fans hid in the closets, hoping not to get caught.

This is what happens when you don’t face a shred of adversity in 40 years. This is what happens when you politely clap for visiting teams, and brag to anyone with a notepad or camera about how gracious you are. You cowards and your team have the battle-tested will of a miniature poodle. You frogs have the spunk and fire of a Cub Scout den mother in Des Moines. I have never in my life…in 30+ years of watching and following sports seen a team, a program and a fan base quit and give up faster than you people. And no, whining about your coach does not make you care. Selling out your shitty grey stadium just to leave in the second quarter and complain to the fat bastard next to you whom you’ve sat with for 25 years does not make you a great fan.

It makes you a quitter, plain and simple.

If you had even a spec of human decency…if you had even an ounce of wills, all 1.8 million of you would be camped out at Tom Osborne’s door with a pen and a briefcase full of cash. What’s that? You don’t think the fans have anything to do with it? You think the coaches are solely responsible for their players quitting? My ass they are. YOU have created this holier-than-thou environment over the past four decades. YOU are the ones who fire coaches for going 9-3. YOU are the ones who call “suffering” a 30 point loss to Georgia Tech in 1992. Boo flippin hoo. This is as much your fault as anybody’s. You win as one, you die as one. And in this case, you throw down your weapons and cry like a little girl as one.

And I haven’t even MENTIONED the embarrassment you’ve bestowed upon other teams. A 41-6 assblasting of NU last month now actually HURTS Missouri because they didn’t beat you worse. The entire conference strength of schedule rating has plummeted because you and your sorry coaches don’t care enough to even try anymore. Teams like Texas A&M and Oklahoma State who were actually happy that they beat you in Lincoln, now only shrug weakly at the accomplishment you have taken from them.

Trust me on this. You taunt me and others like me for following a shitty team for the past 30 years. But what you don’t realize is that all of those tough seasons have made me appreciate magical seasons like the one Missouri is having right now. I know what’s it’s like to lose 77-0. I know what it’s like to listen to my team get throttled on the radio by 50. I know what it’s like to go into a game knowing you have absolutely no shot in hell of winning a game.

But at least I didn’t quit. Even when I have every right and reason to shut this blog down forever and declare victory, I know deep down that we’ll be right back here in a few months, because you don’t know any better.

All of those years my team played the Mighty Huskers, I still sparred with my co-workers, because I knew that despite being out gunned and out manned, my team would at least never quit. I knew that if the stars aligned the right way and the moon suddenly turned red…that my team may have a shot. Even though they came up short time and time again, I never lost faith that some day…some magical season within my lifetime…my team would take me from the sewer to a great season. And when that happened, I would enjoy every second of it, because I know what it’s like to suck. This has now happened, and I’m doing just that…all thanks to decades of toughing it out and being proud of supporting a team I call my own.

You on the other hand have no idea how to act. Tom Shatel is screaming every other day about a different person who needs to be fired. The local news is doing stories on how nobody wants to go to Husker Hounds anymore an by red t-shirts. Boo hoo, ratings are down for the NU broadcasts. Every single person I talk to says the same thing, “I don’t care anymore. They suck”. Hell, look at some of the most venomous fans who leave comments on this blog? Where are many of them now? Deer hunting? Watching DVD’s?

Sports are defined by competition, rivalry and character. You ask any coach on earth, in any sport and they’ll all tell you the same thing, “I can teach my team more after a loss than I ever could after a win.” That principle is exactly why you have gone from sad to absolutely pathetic.

And yes…if this column doesn’t piss you off to no end, then you’re even worse off than I thought. Most of you probably really won’t care anyway…as long as the current coaching staff is employed and the current cast of losers is taking the field in your uniforms. When that happens, you'll be right back where you were, blowing it off as bad luck and not learning a G*d damn thing from the opportunity that losing has provided.

I feel sorry for you no more.

Enjoy the pain ya quitters.

SUNDAY QUARTERBACK WILL FIGURE YOU OUT EVENTUALLY
By SMQ
Posted on Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 05:27:12 PM EDT

I can't say I've ever enjoyed watching one team as much as I have LSU over the last five weeks: the Tigers have slugged their way through four straight instant classics, all of them important games against a top 15 opponent, three of them comeback wins for LSU in the final two minutes, once on the final play. And I still don't know how much I really know about the Tigers. They look in sleek and in sync for stretches, then sloppy, mistake-prone. Occasionally they want to establish a power running game with the monster offensive line, but Gary Crowton's mind always drifts back to the pass; Matt Flynn is alternately a cool-headed, in-command veteran and an impatient first-year starter trying to force it. Trindon Holliday, Keiland Williams, Jacob Hester, Charles Scott and Brandon LaFell are stars, then disappear entirely.
The only feel I can get for LSU is a) it is still a wall against the run, and b) however unfocused the team seems for a half, or three quarters, or three and a half quarters, it finds itself in time to pull the rug from under the upset. Again, though, not perfectly - the one time it wasn't in the trailing position, at Kentucky, the defense had its worst quarter of the season and lost to a team that hasn't won since. It would be too tidy to be perfect, I guess, or too boring, or something. I don't know. Either way, I'm just grateful for the weekly drama.
Desperation is the mother of discovery: On another note, in a desperate attempt to catch the end of the tight Boston College-Florida State game when the local ABC affiliate refused to switch from an unmitigated blowout in Norman, I made a potentially blog-changing discovery: ESPN 360. ESPN 360! Why didn't I know about this? I was able to download the necessary gizmos in time to watch Matt Ryan's fatal interception to Geno Hayes in real time, and pull up a few games from earlier in the day - I watched a lot of Oregon-Arizona State, but much of the account of that game below is also gleaned from the ESPN 360 "rebroadcast," for free. I feel vaguely like a sucker who's about to be bludgeoned by a catch of some unknown origin (it is Disney, you know), but if it gets me long lost ABC regional games, this is a service I wholeheartedly endorse.
<object height="205" width="260">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6WcTYY4zT8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="205" width="260"></object>
<object height="205" width="260">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9mKMJVxrk0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="205" width="260"></object></p>
Onwards... SMQ WATCHED...
...with various degrees of vigilance...
LSU 41 Alabama 34
- - -
I had a rare Easterbrook moment when LSU blitzed on 3rd-and-13 with two minutes to go - Alabama had burned the Tigers deep with D.J. Hall man-to-man in the second quarter, then scored a touchdown on a lob to Keith Brown in the third quarter when the Tigers sent the house, and two plays before the third down in question had Brown wide open against Craig Steltz down the middle of the field on a simple missed read by John Parker Wilson. I could actually see myself writing "seven gentlemen crossed the line..." followed by a disaster for LSU on a long-yardage, low-percentage play. Instead, Terry Grant missed his pick-up, first rate true freshman Chad Jones came completely free (not for the first time in the game), kicked the ball loose, and we're left with yet another piece of evidence that, in college football, to the aggressor go the spoils.
LSU has given us this bit over and over again, with the late game balls - "dialing up the testicles" as Gary Danielson might say, over and over again - and the Tigers wouldn't be anywhere near their current position in the standings (one win from clinching the SEC West) or the ballots (likely second in tonight's BCS poll) if they didn't keep coming through in those situations. But they wouldn't be in those do-or-die situations if they were still sporting the Poulan Independence Dick we saw in all its ghastly power against Virginia Tech and South Carolina, when the notion of scoring 34 points on this defense was borderline heretical, or at least an indication of severe head trauma. Four straight opponents now have scored at least 24 in regulation.
Not all of that is on the Tigers' defense - Alabama took the lead on consecutive scoring drives in the second quarter of six and two yards, respectively, and for the big plays the Tide did make, finished with a scant 254 in total offense to 475 for LSU; the defense is still fourth nationally against the run, second in pass efficiency, second in total defense, and the last four opponents have also been outgained by an average of 130 yards. So why is LSU still eking out these wins in the final minute, from behind, week after week?
Well, because three straight interceptions and 130 yards in penalties to `Bama's 15 yards, that's why. Les Miles talked about poise at the start of the second half, but his reputation as an unpoised, undisciplined, let `er rip gunslinger was reinforced Saturday in his teams' consistent, nearly disastrous mental mistakes. Alabama had zero running game, and therefore no chance to mount sustained drives, but made one big play on offense in the first half (the deep bomb to Hall in the second quarter) and one in the second half on special teams (Javier Arenas' lead-grabbing, 61-yard punt return midway through the fourth), and both were facilitated by LSU penalties - Hall's catch followed a roughing the passer penalty against Tyson Jackson on a 3rd-and-long stop, and Arenas' punt return followed a bizarre attempt by the Tiger offense to gimmick its way to a first down on 4th-and-1 near midfield on a clearly illegal line shift ("simulating the snap" was the most apt possible description) followed by a dumb 15-yard penalty for Carnell Stewart removing his helmet on the field (as well as - and I'm just guessing here from my amateur lip-reading skills, because they didn't announce this - screaming "that's fucking bullshit!" as the first flag was announced against the offense). I wondered, was that a reaction to the failure of the fourth down bravado that served LSU so well against Florida at the end of the loss at Kentucky? It wasn't the kind of direct, confident, aggressive response we've come to expect from the Tigers; then again, they hadn't mounted anything like their usual running game to point. Then again, despite its frequent success, LSU has had trouble establishing any reliable identity on offense most of the year. Alabama is also not in the game without the ten easy points it gained by intercepting Matt Flynn three times in the second quarter, all on bad decisions by Flynn, probably flipping the switch on a ten-point swing on the third pick by stopping an apparent LSU scoring drive and turning the field position swap into a go-ahead touchdown for the Tide instead.
But adversity has been the norm during this incredible stretch of games: LSU trailed by ten in the second half to Florida, Auburn and now Alabama, and rallied to outscore them 71-28 in the second halves of those games. The Tide scored touchdowns to go ahead twice in the second half Saturday, and the Tigers immediately answered both of them, just as they did Auburn's late go-ahead touchdown two weeks ago. This is still a beast of team that's ultimately done everything it's needed to do to establish itself as the conference favorite against a hellish schedule, but it doesn't get serious and take the prize until it sees it being dragged away.
• I couldn't say I disagreed with Danielson's admonishment against Glenn Dorsey returning to the game after his already bum knee was rolled again in the first half, given the millions Dorsey has at stake with his health, but he came back and hobbled his way to an outstanding game: six tackles, two for loss, a sack and another QB hurry in the middle of a line that allowed 20 net yards rushing. You never want to overuse the "warrior" cliché, but when Dorsey was hobbling off after chasing down a third down screen pass short of the marker in the fourth quarter, looking like a bear with a gunshot wound in his leg, the description seemed apt. He probably shouldn't play against Louisiana Tech or Ole Miss the next two weeks, but Dorsey put a lot on the line to help his team, and delivered.
Oregon 35 Arizona State 23
- - -
Imagine being promoted from captain of the state highway patrol to commander of NORAD, and I think that might approximate how Chip Kelly feels calling plays at Oregon after his years at New Hampshire. Weapons, baby. The skill talent on this team is almost unfair when unleashed in this fashion, and when you get that impossible combination of arm and muscle twitch operating as comfortably from the shotgun as Dennis Dixon - truly this is the offense of nightmares.

0ab24832-ba62-4eb1-b460-e11947c1eb7f.jpg

Almost there, Duck. Almost there.
- - -

Dixon came into the season this inconsistent, injury-plagued, baseball-playing flake, and now is the player any defensive coordinator least wants to see lining up on the other side. The first time we saw him this season, he was slicing immediately post-Appalachian State Michigan into eensy bits in whatever fashion he liked, and it could be somewhat dismissed as the lethargy and incompetence of the Wolverines. And doesn't Oregon always play well in September, anyway? Now we get him again, with big stakes on the line against a top ten defense in November, and he seems just as in command of the myriad fakes, misdirection and precise timing routes of Kelly's offense down the stretch - combined with the execution of the Ducks' offensive line, Dixon occasionally looks like he's on another plane, and the long-term loss of one third of the starting backfield and two of the top three receivers seems irrelevant. Part of that is because the remaining skill talent is so good (besides Dixon, Jonathan Stewart and Jaison Williams were both top-rated blue chips out of high school) and there is so much for a defense to pay attention to, but it's also because, again, the entire unit is operating so well. The Ducks came out immediately gunning, hitting Williams in man-to-man for about 40 yards, but Oregon's first two touchdowns Saturday were beautifully blocked screens into the right flat that did not require PS#1 talent to spring Williams and Stewart to the end zone, and its third was a fake screen to the left flat that froze the defense and opened the seam for Williams. After the first two scores, the Devils didn't have a chance.
Oregon finished with 200 rushing and 200 passing, appropriately, and didn't score more only because Dixon left the game with a tweaked knee in the fourth and Brady Leaf finished with the reigns on - they similarly took the gas off at Michigan, you'll remember. Williams, dangerous as he was, also struggled with drops. But even during a second quarter lull, I never got the feeling Arizona State could stop UO's offense if the latter was really trying. Dixon has all the numbers he needs (he's thrown 20 touchdowns with just three interceptions and is the fourth highest-rated passer in the country, before you account for his rushing contributions), but mainly, he's just doing whatever he wants, when he wants.
• Down 21-13 with a chance to tie or pull within one going into the locker room, ASU badly mismanaged the last 45 seconds of the first half and came up completely empty. The Devils ran for a first down inside the Duck 20, inbounds with no timeouts, and rather than just spiking the ball, as the ASU coaches were apparently signalling, Rudy Carpenter spent 20 seconds calling a play and getting his team lined up, then inexplicably handed to Dmitri Nance off right tackle for a loss of two yards as the clock ticked and ticked and ticked. It went all the way down to six seconds before Carpenter was able to get back under center for a spike, moments before the heretofore reliable Thomas Weber missed a short field goal that would have cut the lead to five. Arizona State had controlled the second quarter and rallied from 21-3 down, but ceded all that momentum by getting off one worthless snap, in scoring position, in 45 seconds. The Devils were hopelessly down by 23 in the fourth quarter before they found themselves in the same scoring position again.
• "I hope that's to promote the issue of breast cancer awareness. If they're just pink whistles, we have issues." Why is that, Mike? What "issues" do we have with refs blowing pink whistles, Mike?
Penn State 26 Purdue 19
- - -
Not to be too harsh or a broken record or anything, but Purdue continues to reinforce all the negative stereotypes: overmatched against good (or even just above average) teams, unable to score on decent defenses, ultimately soft on defense its own self. But here we are - after Dorien Bryant's kickoff return to open the game, the Boilers managed four field goals and zero touchdowns, were outgained by an often pedestrian offense by 138 yards and allowed 251 rushing on 6.1 per carry.
It's not like everything Purdue knows from guillotining the rabble leaks out onto its pillow before it plays a big game. Curtis "Potbellied" Painter has the arm and the receivers, and the offense was in command in the first quarter until an impressive 75-yard march that could have extended the lead to 17-7 was submarined by a Jaycen Taylor fumble at the goalline. That ill-timed giveaway and the subsequent Penn State drive across midfield turned the momentum, but Purdue still went on 74, 52 and 60-yard drives in the second half. All field goals, largely because of terrible starting field position - after the break, the Boilers did not start a single drive outside of their own 20.
With Northwestern's loss to Iowa - the Wildcats were 5-4 going in - Purdue's losing streak against winning teams was re-extended to 15 games, back to the start of the 2005 season against Akron, which finished 7-6 that year. The average margin of defeat in those games: 16 points. Including garbage time and 35 points in last year's loss at Hawaii, the offense the last two years has averaged 13.3 points against winners and, if you exclude the final, meaningless minute at Ohio State last month, has been held without an offensive touchdown in half of those games.
Its best chance of breaking the streak is against Indiana in two weeks, which currently sits at 6-4 and can win its seventh next week against Northwestern.
• Anthony Morelli can be pretty sharp when he's not under pressure and has the running game to fall back on to open things up downfield. In other words, under perfect conditions, Morelli is a better than average quarterback. This was the case Saturday, when Rodney Kinlaw and <strike>Thomas</strike> Evan Royster consistently ate the Purdue defense alive for 210 yards, the Boilermakers only picked up one sack and the secondary looked like it was set on "Varsity," from the size of the holes in its zone coverage. But Morelli was on target to open men and didn't make a killer mistake against a quasi-respectable conference opponent, which makes it de facto one of the best games of his career.
• I got search hits after this game for "bad calls purdue penn state" and "purdue ref" (as well as, even more bizarrely, "houston nutt malzahn tecmo" and, once again, "colt brennan shirtless"), but I'm not sure what might be at the root of these searchers' presumed angst. There are only two really controversial plays: the aforementioned fumble by Taylor over the goalline, which Andre Ware insisted was over the plane of the goalline (I strongly disagree) and, much later, a failure by the officials to stop the clock after a Selwyn Lymon catch-and-run out of bounds on Purdue's penulitmate drive, which ended in a field goal that cut the margin to seven. There is something to the latter - Purdue had to use a timeout after the catch, a stop it dearly missed on Penn State's next offensive possession. The decision to keep the clock winding there probably cost the Boilers 30 seconds and three or four plays in its last ditch effort to tie.
This is a frankly run-of-the-mill, borderline snub in the big picture, not a clinching stab in the back - again, Purdue was significantly outgained, did not score a touchdown of offense, did not stop Penn State from running, and still had a chance to tie as time expired. I don't think there's much room for complaint about the refs.

a42bf490-a340-4c89-92a8-89834a6e9a53.jpg

Purdue tripped up by a decent opponent. What else is new?
- - -

Glimpses
- - -
Kansas 76, Nebraska 39: I was initially going to note how good Kansas is at answering scores - KU came from behind on the road against K-State and Colorado by scoring immediately after momentum-shifting, go-ahead touchdowns by the opponent in both games, and did the same when Nebraska led early here - but it hardly seems relevant given that the Jayhawks wound up scoring at will no matter what Nebraska was doing. I mean, WTF, man: Kansas was 12-15 on third downs and scored on drives of 68, 50, 62, 74, 61, 62 and 19 yards...in the first half. Altogether, the 'Hawks scored touchdowns on 13 of 15 non-half-ending drives, and one of the no-scores was due to a missed field goal; prior to that, ten straight Kansas possessions ended in touchdowns. But it's not even like they had a chance to pull off the dogs if they wanted: the way the `Huskers were turning it over, the longest of the four scoring drives in the second half was only 44 yards. Welcome to the fray, Todd Reesing and Brandon McAnderson. The stars of the new hottness were both backups to start the season, as was second-leading receiver Dexton Fields and freshman big play maestro Dezmon Briscoe, PS#339 by Phil Steele, who scored his fifth, sixth and seventh touchdowns Saturday.
Michigan 28, Michigan State 24: I saw most of the first half of this game, when Mike Hart was doing his inexplicable Mike Hart things on a pair of spectacular, alternately juking and leg-churning, tackle-breaking runs, and then the last couple minutes, after the Wolverines fell behind and decided it wasn't going down like that, so I don't have much context for the hole the Michigan offense obviously crumpled into once Hart was largely sidelined in the meantime.
I do wonder about the notion that Michigan has a "scoring offense" and a "non-scoring offense," and that all it takes is a philosophical adjustment to the former to begin raining down points. This is exactly what happened Saturday: after eight three-and-outs in nine scoreless possessions, the Wolverines burned right down the field on two straight long touchdown drives after Michigan State went in front 24-14, seemingly using a strategy built entirely around long lobs to Mario Manningham. This is not entirely true - Manningham caught four passes on the touchdown drives, including the winning score from 31 yards out, the same number as Adrian Arrington (though Manningham had a couple incomplete passes lobbed in his direction, too) - but it is true that Henne thrived when forced to play a little bombs away. Especially if Hart's ankle is still at issue, I would expect more openness from the outset against Wisconsin and Ohio State.
Box Scorin'
Making sense of what I didn't see.
- - -
Ohio State 38, Wisconsin 17: The Buckeyes still are what we thought they were: a physical, efficient, fundamentally sound bunch of killers who'd as soon cut yer throat as they'd look at ya. Twelve yards rushing to an offense that had been averaging 175 in its first five Big Ten games is reminiscent of the nasty 2005 D at OSU, and the trench dominance extended to Ohio State's O-line: Chris Wells had 168 on eight per carry. Once the Badgers came back to move ahead 17-10 early in the third, the Buckeyes scored touchdowns on their next three possessions and finished with 28 straight points. Still no sketchy, disappointing or even close wins from OSU.
Virginia 17, Wake Forest 16: Virginia, you magnificent bastards, this one was supposed to go the other way - Sam Swank does not miss that kick at the last second and Wake Forest does not lose games that come down to a field goal. Going back to last year, the Deacs were 9-1 in one-score games, but might have finally run into the one team that can out-Wake Wake: the Cavs have won six games by five points or less this year, and their last three wins have all been by one point. I have consistently maintained, whatever it's doing to win every week in the mediocre mash-up that is the ACC, Wake Forest is not a good team. Neither is Virginia. Everything in the box score of this game screams "play not to lose," and ultimately the Cavs were simply better at not losing. Again.
Texas 38, Oklahoma State 35: I felt a little guilty about ignoring this game once I got a text message that said "you missed a great ending," but once it's 35-14 and Texas is turning the ball over left and right and Alabama-LSU and Oregon-Arizona State are commanding attention, the priorities are obvious. Anyway, it looks like what happened here is the same thing that happened last week: Texas committed to running Jamaal Charles, and he lit up a terrible defense. In the first three quarters, Charles had eight carries for 43 yards - that's 5.5 per carry right there - and in the fourth he had eight carries for 137 yards and two touchdowns, a lot of that coming on a 75-yarder on a drive that started at the Texas one.
Make no mistake, though: the 'Horns are no better on defense than OK State - the Cowboys passed for 430 and had a ridiculous 589 for the game, with Texas Tech coming into Austin next week. It looks like all we learned about UT is that it's resilient and really needs to hand off more often to Jamaal Charles.
ab9d35e6-58fb-43a1-96c2-ee241437a2ff.jpg

Folsom Field at the end of a 55-10 rout. It's DIVISION I FOOTBALL, brother! I mean, sort of.
- - -
Arizona 34, UCLA 27: Not even as close as it looks: LA scored the last 13 points after trailing 34-14, and one of its touchdowns was a kick return. An almost identical performance to last week's embarrasing collapse at Washington State - the Bruins were outgained by 278 in Pullman and 181 in Tucson, and the Arizona spread actually worked against a defense that supposedly has teeth - and is (or should be) the Dorrellian death knell.
Missouri 55, Colorado 10: I wouldn't have thought there was that much space between these two teams, but even if I did, no matter how much space we're talking about, nothing - not even 55-10 - can adequately explain 598-196. Missouri outgained Colorado by 402 yards and 18 first downs. Average margin of victory by the Tigers in four Big 12 wins: 31.3 points, dragged down by a mere 14-point win over Iowa State. Nebraska, Texas Tech and now CU have been obliterated.
Florida State 27, Boston College 17: Incredibly, on paper, Matt Ryan was significantly outplayed by Drew Weatherford, who had maybe the game of his career: Weatherford, on the road, had more completions in fewer attemtps and, most significantly, had zero interceptions against the most pick-happy defense in the country while Ryan had three, the last of which drove the nail in the Eagles' mythical championship coffin. Ryan threw 53 times and also had nine of BC's 20 carries, and 415 yards or not, that sort of one man show is hardly tenable two weeks in a row, against defenses of the caliber of Virginia Tech and Florida State.
Oklahoma 42, Texas A&M 14: Pretty straightforward butt-kicking: Sam Bradford was accurate as a mofo, A&M played little to no defense, and the Sooners very quickly took the Aggies' best weapons out of the game - Mike Goodson and Jorvorskie Lane combined for 12 carries, while Stephen McGee threw 28 times with the predictable results. A&M's defense was softer than I would have guessed, but no surprises on this page.
Southern Cal 24, Oregon State 3: The final score is the Trojans' best of the year, all things considered - it's SC's first win over a team currently sporting a winning record - but without question this is also the worst offensive performance since Pete Carroll's first season at USC. The Trojans' scoring drives covered 9, 54, 47 and 14 yards, which is like the play-by-play for one drive for the SC offenses we're accustomed to. The defense, however, was great, or Oregon State's offense just that much worse, as the Beavers finished with a platry 176 yards and only scored a field goal after John David Booty fumbled the ball away at his own 17 in the second quarter. It's a good sign that two of the Trojans' next three possessions were touchdown drives to go up 17-3 in response, but the second half was a disaster. Still nothing special now about USC.
Arkansas 48, South Carolina 36: Take that last sentence and circle it, underline it and then ritually burn it where the other USC is concerned, because "nothing special" and "third straight loss" are wholly inadequate for an effort like this. No team, I mean no collegiate team anywhere in any division, could do worse than allowing 541 yards rushing in one game. To anyone. That number is more shocking than Kansas' score over Nebraska, and it's a disgrace to a Gamecock defense that's usually fesity or resilient or something if nothing else. It will probably cost Tyrone Nix consideration for a head coaching job this offseason, and maybe the next, if he holds on to his coordinator position for that long. This is the SEC, man. Nine yards per carry? Casey Dick completed eight of ten passes. Arkansas might be on the first leg of a late season scorched earth campaign or something, but there is no excuse. I didn't have to watch it to know South Carolina just put in the most disgraceful defensive effort of the season (well, except maybe Minnesota's against North Dakota State, or against Illinois Saturday - see below).

a3d3b6c5-3d9a-41a2-8290-c187152fb1c3.jpg

I recruited him! I recruited him! I can do it again!
- - -

The Crunch
Interesting/Not Necessarily Relevant Stats
- - -
New Mexico State and Nevada combined for 1,032 yards and 52 first downs in a last second Wolfpack win. . . . Clemson scored 16 points in the final 1:10 of the first half and 30 in a 13-minute span to blow out Duke. . . . After leading 14-0 in the first quarter, Northwestern was outscored 28-3 in the last three quarters in a loss to Iowa. . . . Kirby Freeman, heir apparent of Quarterback U, completed 1 of 14 passes with three interceptions and an 84-yard touchdown in Miami's overtime loss to N.C. State. Freeman and Daniel Evans combined to complete 20 of 54 passes in the game. . . . Florida gained 348 yards in the first half en route to trouncing Vanderbilt. . . . East Carolina gained 641 yards on 9.2 per snap in a 56-40 win at Memphis. . . . Tennessee Tech outrushed Auburn on fewer carries in a 35-3 loss. . . . Notre Dame's offense nearly matched its season rushing total through the first eight games in the loss to Navy. . . . San Jose State did not draw a single flag in a five-touchdown loss at Boise State. . . . South Florida and Cincinnati combined for four defensive and special teams touchdowns in the first quarter. . . . Air Force outrushed Army 437-17 in a 24-point win. Chad Hall ran for 275 yards, his second 250-plus-yard game in four weeks. . . . TCU had more scoring drives (7) that New Mexico had first downs (6) in the Frogs' 37-0 win. . . . UL-Monroe racked up 624 yards, 30 first downs and two 100-yard rushers and lost on a last second kickoff return, 43-40. . . . Rutgers outgained UConn by 115 yards and 11 first downs and lost by 19 points. . . . Tulsa and Toledo each gained 600 yards total offense in wins over Tulane and Eastern Michigan, respectively. . . . And, to the tease, Minnesota allowed 448 yards rushing on nine yards per carry to Illinois, the third straight game the Gophers have allowed at least 300 on the ground. More on Minnesota's historic defensive futility later this week. "BCS Busting" when the numbers are released later tonight.

Random Thoughts
By outsidethesidelines Section: Football
Posted on Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 06:36:40 PM EDT

You know the routine...

• All in all, a major disappointing loss for the Crimson Tide. Obviously, LSU had a lot more talent and depth that we did, but nevertheless we led most of the game. We weathered the early storm, led at halftime, led by ten with a quarter left to play, and had a seven point lead with the football, near mid-field, with less than five minutes to play. We had this game won and just suffered a complete meltdown late.
  • LSU is a good team, but they are not great. Their talent is great, but the coaching is very suspect, and they consistently beat themselves with penalties, turnovers, and execution breakdowns. It's really hard to believe these guys are 8-1 and currently the favorite to get to New Orleans, considering Alabama, Auburn, and Florida had them beat before giving them the game late. Though highly ranked, these guys haven't played good football since the South Carolina game, and if they hadn't had three games given to them, they'd be 5-4. These guys have to be massive overachievers in Pythagorean Wins.
  • The Alabama running game was absolutely non-existent. We turned to Lowe, and honestly I think the main reason was simply that we tried to use his speed and elusiveness because the coaching staff saw that whoever had the ball was not going to get any openings whatsoever. It was just very, very frustrating. LSU wouldn't even be playing the run and they shut it down easily.
  • Speaking of the running game, or lack thereof, we obviously have a lot of progress to make. We've got to get much better up front, and the backs have to play a lot better. Some of that, arguably, might not happen until we get in some new recruits. We have some decent backs, but none of them are that great -- sorry -- and the offensive line was just manhandled today. The only lineman we had that held his own today was Andre Smith. The rest spent most of the day as little more than glorified blocking dummies for the LSU defensive line.
  • As much as we struggled up front, though, our wide receivers did pretty well against the LSU secondary. They got open and made some very big plays. The problem was that we struggled up front so much that we could not get the ball down the field like we needed to.
  • Not trying to toot my own horn here, but as I expected, Dorsey played and he was essentially 100 per cent. He moved very well and honestly just showed no ill effects from the knee sprain. As I said earlier in the week, that was just all a bunch of hoopla that had no effect on the game. There really was no legitimate doubt about whether or not he was going to play.
  • Speaking of Dorsey, he was one of five players who went down with an "injury." Glenn Dorsey, Darry Beckwith, Herman Johnson, Matt Flynn, and Andre Smith all went down with "injuries." Not a single one missed more than two plays with their "injury." Sorry, but you're either injured or not. You don't blow out a knee / break a leg and suddenly be fine 49 seconds later. If you're truly hurt, fine, but don't just lay on the field holding up the game every time you scratch up your knees. I don't mean to be insensitive to legitimate injuries, but these are obviously nothing serious. This is football, not an overly dramatic soap opera.
  • Our defense, as a whole, played fairly well. They gave up a lot of yards, but they did generate three turnovers, had two more taken away from the Replay Gods, and overall kept us in this game. Those guys were definitely down on talent, but they played pretty well.
  • Simeon Castille was the one who really killed us late on defense. With a ten point lead, he gives up a long touchdown pass where he was easily beaten by Byrd. And that's the last thing in the world you would want there. If they score, that's fine, but at least make them march down the field and take four-to-six minutes off the clock. The last thing you want to do is allow them to make it a three point game in a mere ten seconds. Castille's blown coverage there was really a major changing point in the game.
  • Kareem Jackson is our best defensive back. Oh sure, when Castille graduates after this season many will talk about how much it will hurt to lose our top corner, but our top cornerback is Kareem Jackson, end of story. And you can see it just from watching game film, he's almost always lined up against the opposing team's primary receiver. Oh, and after Castille was burned by Byrd, guess who was over Byrd the following possession? Kareem Jackson.
  • Going back to the offense for a moment, Wilson has eventually got to get the ball out on hot routes. We protected him fairly well for the most part, but he was hanging onto the football entirely too long, and you can't blame the protection. The truth is that LSU was choosing to blitz big-time, and when they do that you must throw the football quickly. If the opposing team brings heavy pressure, you're going to have to throw it quickly and that's even if you have an NFL Hall of Fame line. Wilson, unfortunately, all too often didn't do that, and it resulted in a lot of negative plays for us. We've got great skill players on the outside, and there is simply no excuse not to get them the football when the opposing team brings so much pressure.
  • Wilson's two turnovers really hurt us. The first was just a terrible decision to throw into double coverage, and the second was just him trying to make a schoolyard play. Both combined to give LSU fourteen easy points, and that was really what doomed us. And unfortunately, it's just a sign that Wilson continues to beat us with dumb turnovers. He did the same thing against Florida State, and that was a major problem on several occasions last year. At some point, that must cease. You can't beat teams like LSU when you are beating yourself with turnovers deep in your own end.
  • The officiating was... gah. I don't think any single team has suffered from officiating more in a game against a particular team than we have against LSU the past four years. We all remember the assault on Keith Brown in the end zone in 2004, the bad officiating in 2005, and yesterday we got two turnovers in the second half in LSU territory, and a first and ten inside the LSU 20 reversed. The initial Arenas interception, I think, was the right call, but I'll never be convinced on the "fumble" or the "incompletion." The only overturned play that went our way all day was the LSU incompletion where the ball clearly hit the ground, and honestly it was a joke that thing was called a completion in the first place. The Caddell catch, in particular, happened right in front of us, and he got it. I didn't get very excited though, and explained that they were just going to review it and call it incomplete anyway. Three minutes later, big shock, it was overturned. If we can just get one of those calls upheld, and at least two of them should have been, we win. Considering the officiating crews have given us the shaft in three of the past four years, I think we're just going to have to come to terms with the fact that if we are to beat these guys, we are going to have to beat the refs too.
  • You talk in football about the "hidden" yards, and chief among those come on special teams. And with that said, punting the football was a major problem for us yesterday. Fitzgerald averaged 33 yards per punt, and LSU responded with a 46 yard average. Long story short, they gained 13 yards every time we swapped punts, and in the aggregate, that's huge. And it wasn't a bad day from Fitzgerald, the harsh truth is that he's just not that good. The punting position is one where we desperately need an upgrade, as it just doesn't look like Fitzgerald is ever going to become even an average punter.
  • All in all, heartbreaking as it was, it's hard to complain too much. We played a better team and really had it won after leading almost all afternoon. We're 6-3, and honestly we have a shot at winning out and finishing up 9-3. If we do that, we probably head to the Cotton Bowl, and it's just a bright outlook all the way around. It hurts now that we've lost five straight to a team we've historically dominated -- make that five straight to two teams we've historically dominating -- but there is nothing we can do about it. Hopefully year two will bring a much different result given all that LSU will lose this off-season and all that we will return.
<!-- poll box -->
<table align="center" width="40%"><tbody><tr><td>

PROFILES IN DISILLUSION
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 12:51:02 PM EDT

Conquered favorites and other notables picking up the pieces of shattered ambition this week:
Arizona State and Boston College, you have been placated by surprise success. You've been winning so long now, you've forgotten the proper response to any loss: reactionary vengeance and edge-clinging despair. Instead, with your championship dreams crushed, we get sentiments like "The season is far from over with every option, perhaps short of the national title game, still on the table," and "The National Championship is obviously gone and the Heisman looks like real long shot but there is still the ACC Championship." The ACC championship? Live and learn, Devils and Eagles, from the pros:
2003213562.jpg

You'll get 'em next time, big guy.
- - -
Ask not for whom the bell tolls. At some point, past concern, frustration, anger, pitchforks, insults, petitions, billboards and borderline sabotage, there's just an eerie calm for the tireless anti-Dorrellian brigade at Bruins Nation as the storm descends on the final days of Karl Dorrell following UCLA's 34-27 loss to Arizona:
  • It is an absolute treat these days to wake up Sunday morning and read post after posts and comments after comments articulating much better than I can on what I am feeling the day after another Dorrell coached UCLA football game. I am with godblesstyus95. Although I think the end is in sight, I don't believe the nightmare is totally over yet. I can see the dreaded scenario he laid out in his post coming into fruition, given what we had to endure through those surreal Lavin years. And, I can also symphatize with the argument Class of 66 laid out in his diary, making a strong case why we should all pressure on Dan Guerrero to act now, so that he doesn't have any room to maneuver out of the right decision to get rid of the most incompetent coach in college football by December 3rd.
    However, all that said, I have to tell you I am starting to sense a calm over me. I can feel the end in sight.
    - - -
Of course, Nestor's solution to all of the Bruins' problems for the last three years has been "Fire Karl Dorrell," but that opinion is reaching critical mass outside of "insignificant Internet chatter," too, when even the players are calling their seventh double-digit loss to an unranked team in two years "ridiculous." Chris Foster in the L.A. Times declares the Bruins' last three games a "one-issue season," with nothing to play for against the meat of the slate (Arizona State, UCLA and USC) but saving or losing Dorrell's job, and the paper wondered in a headline Sunday whether Dorrell is losing his grip, whatever grip he had:
4d5e5d44-be72-4f4d-afde-945484005df5.jpg

Down go the Bruins, again: L.A. loses its seventh game to an unranked team in two years, all of them by double digits.
- - -
  • "I'm encouraged how we played in the fourth quarter [after sometime-receiver Osaar Rasshan replaced injured Patrick Cowan]," Dorrell said. "They didn't score any points in the fourth quarter. We did. We still came up short." The good ol' college try, though, will do little at this point to pacify fans or, probably, Athletic Director Dan Guerrero.
    Guerrero said last week he would be "very interested" to see how the Bruins finish the season. He got an eyeful Saturday.
    The Bruins lost to a lower-tier Pac-10 team for the second straight week, piled onto nonconference losses to Notre Dame and Utah, both of which were winless at the time.
    The Bruins started well Saturday. Matthew Slater's 100-yard kickoff return and Cowan's nine-yard touchdown pass to his brother, Joe, gave UCLA a 14-10 lead with 6:31 left in the first half.
    Then UCLA's offense went three-and-out on six of its next seven series and the defense couldn't handle an offense that gave it the Willies.
    Tuitama's third touchdown pass gave the Wildcats a 34-14 lead three minutes into the second half.
    - - -
Summary to the L.A. Daily News' Brian Dohn, who concedes the likelihood that we're witnessing the "final throes" of Dorrell's career: "UCLA's season, which began with so much promise and so many promises, is teetering on being a crumbling wreck." Bucketloads of blood in the water. Bells are redundant. After comments in its open thread Saturday advocating firing defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrave at the half - "Get the hell outta this locker room, yer done!" - Corn Nation decided to open the week by looking at the bright side:
  • After the weekend, Nebraska's defense is no longer the worst rushing defense in the nation. We've moved up to 118th. The University of Alabama-Birmingham gave up 338 yards rushing to Southern Miss, dropping them below the Huskers, who only gave up 218. Nebraska has dropped to 112th in total defense, above SMU, Central Michigan, Louisiana-Lafayette, North Texas, UTEP, Rice, and Minnesota.
    - - -
But, yeah, beyond that...
  • Nebraska's lows against Kansas: • Most points ever scored against Nebraska - 76
    Broke the school record of 70, in the 70-10 loss to Texas Tech in 2004
    • Most points ever scored in the first half against Nebraska - 48
    Not a record for halves, though, that was Texas Tech, 2004, 49 points in the second half
    • Most points in a quarter - 27 in the second quarter
    • Longest losing streak since 1958
    It's going to get worse because it's highly doubtful that either Bill Callahan or Kevin Cosgrove are going anywhere, despite people calling on them to resign.
    - - -
CN has a handy roundup of the head-callers: Dennis Dodd: "Kansas scored more points against Nebraska on Saturday than it did against the Huskers in either the 1970s (60 total) or 1980s (67). "
Peter Schrager: "Firing Bill Callahan after Saturday's loss is understandable, almost necessary. Why wait? Blow it up now."
Doug Tucker: "Reesing could be in line to become the fifth player in a row named Big 12 offensive player of the week after playing the Huskers."
ncf_g_callahan_195.jpg

What, still on the edge of your seat? It's over, coach.
- - -

Darren Carlson: "In a living room full of my friends, all looking for me to say something smart, or at least smart mouthed, all I said was, 'No really. We have a bad football team. That's it. That's all that is happening. We're bad.' And, I came to grips with the 2007 season." At least Carlson is able to deal with despair bluntly and move on, albeit about a month later than the outside world saw disaster looming, while others like the Lincoln Journal Star's Steven Sipple are still trying to make sense of an inexplicable collapse. I'm not sure explanations along the lines of "confidence," "key departures" and "chemistry" quite do justice to the `Huskers' dischord, or that anything short of complete, resigned acceptance of the unfathomable depths of universal cruelty and chaos possibly could. Carlson gets to the heart of the frustration:
  • Right now, we're the worst defense in the country. Meaning that the rabid fans who say they "couldn't do worse" coaching the defense actually have a legit point. It's nearly impossible to be worse than this. I know this - there is enough talent on that side of the ball to play better than this. Suh didn't stop being strong, Octavien didn't stop being fast, Bowman didn't stop being talented. The list goes on and on and on. This is about the way we are doing things. No...not what we are doing. It is HOW we are doing it.
    I saw a defense that was amazingly willing to be blocked. On one TD run, the KU back ran through an alley untouched while NU's linebacker, corner and safety were essentially "dancing" with the KU blockers. It was sad to see. This is a "want to" problem. Is that on the players? Is that on the coaches? Both. Players have to want to play hard, and coaches have to help them or make them want to play hard.'
    When the coaches are replaced, (How can they not?) whoever inherits this defense will have enough talent to get better, and literally nowhere to go but up.
    - - -
No kidding - the Journal Star's Brian Christopherson is similarly speechless, so he lets the numbers do the talking for him: 118, 359, 115, 4,776, 50 and 76. Respectively, those figures represent Nebraska's national rank in run defense, the number of points the D has allowed through ten games, the Huskers' national rank in turnover margin, the number of yards the former Blackshirts have surrendered this season, the number of years since last time the school has lost six straight football games and, well, obviously. Overstatement meets its match: I've met Tyrone Nix. Working for Southern Miss' student paper, I once gave his defense a `D' for allowing 400-plus yards - 199 to D'Angelo Williams - in a close loss at Memphis. Tyrone Nix is a former linebacker, and he is not afraid of you or your laptop. I'm guessing Brandon at Garnet and Black Attack is not a former linebacker, and so I offer my condolences to his family:
593a0f97-8329-43c1-b8a7-39de4a003120.jpg

See, they laid a hand on them. One of them.
- - -
  • I can't stay quiet any longer. The continued employment of the South Carolina defensive staff needs to be seriously re-evaluated.
    The University of South Carolina was embarrassed tonight. Not just defeated, not just thumped, but embarrassed.
    [...]
    ...the efforts of everyone else on the team were wasted by the defense. And there's no other word for it: Wasted.

That's the kind of performance you expect when the defensive staff hasn't seen any tape on the team involved. If there were any attempts to rearrange South Carolina's formations to answer the Wild Hog, I didn't see them. If those moves did take place, they were certainly impotent.
    The defense seemed surprised by the physical nature of McFadden's running game.

In short, they were unprepared.
    Unprepared for a running back that Tyrone Nix and his coaches have prepared for three times. (Rememeber, he took over the play-calling before the Arkansas game last year.) Unprepared for a running attack that everyone alive knows is the best in the SEC.
    McFadden's numbers against Nix's defenses the last three years: 187 in 2005, 219 in 2006, 335 in 2007.
    In other words, McFadden has increased his numbers each time he's taken the field against South Carolina. It's almost like he surprises the defense more each year.
    And it wasn't just McFadden tonight. Arkansas ran for a mind-boggling 543 yards tonight. They quickly rang up a 21-3 lead on drives of 66, 62 and 75 yards -- the last one coming ON TWO PLAYS. (That doesn't count the 29-yard drive that produced a missed FG after Arkansas inexplicably attempted to prove it's a passing team.)
    Wondering if that was the worst defensive performance in South Carolina history? In terms of yardage, it was.
    [...]
    This isn't the first time this has happened. If nothing changes, it won't be the last.

And if it's not the last, then Steve Spurrier can go ahead and give up all hopes of every bringing an SEC title to Columbia.
    Because if South Carolina can't stop a completely one-dimensional team that at times reverts to running an offense that was cutting edge in the 1950s, it won't happen.
    - - -
South Carolina has long been mediocre-to-bad against the run by SEC standards, but to be fair, this is sort of the first time it's happened on that level - 541 yards is beyond bad by anyone's standards, including including Steve Spurrier's: "A mismatch," Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said. "A Division III team trying to play and SEC team. We couldn't hold up against those guys; they're too good for us." Spoken like a man with real job security. But even the coach suddenly under fire doesn't have much more to add: "Basically, they just whipped us." After 543 yards, there is no spin.
But take heart, Cocks! On further review, McFadden's total actually tied an SEC record. So there's always that slash - well, unless he comes back for his senior year. Then it's over.
- - -
Elsewhere in disillusion:
Kevin Scarbinsky in the Birmingham News thinks "there are no losers" in Alabama's, um, not-loss to LSU Saturday, but Nick Saban will have none of it: "Nobody should ever be happy about losing. I'm not happy about losing. There's no such thing as a moral victory."
OTS on Roll Bama Roll agrees, generally, but he's not too happy with the officiating. As if anyone is ever too happy with the officiating.
7a5693d1-a87d-4c69-a9fa-2b4676e8ddf9.jpg

We beat the worst offense of the decade! Go Navy!
- - -

Redundantly-named South Florida offensive coordinator Greg Gregory doesn't even know how USF was still in the game at the end after turning the ball over eight times against Cincinnati, but after the Bulls' last gasp throw into the end zone fell incomplete, it's pretty clear to the Tampa Tribune's Brett Murphy: "In three weeks, the Bulls (6-3, 1-3 Big East) have gone from the toast of Tampa to toast - and tied for last place in the Big East with Syracuse." John Feinstein's oblivious, ridiculously outdated radio exhortation of Navy's indomitable spirit not withstanding - seriously, "There isn't a football player born who doesn't at least think about playing at Notre Dame. The Irish don't recruit players, They select them." - the South Bend Tribune is wondering if this is what rock bottom feels like. Which begs the even more pressing question: if it's only now hitting rock bottom, where have the Irish been the last two months? ND is one defeat from becoming officially, via its ninth loss, the worst team in the history of the program.
<!-- poll box -->
<table align="center" width="40%"><tbody><tr><td>

Texas center Griffin out for season

Monday, November 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
Longhorn senior center Dallas Griffin will miss the rest of season after injuring his right knee during Saturday’s win at Oklahoma State. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament and sprained his medial collateral ligament. At Texas’ weekly media luncheon Monday, Griffin was on crutches and wearing a brace on the right knee.
Sophomore Chris Hall is listed as the team’s starting center on this week’s depth chart. Buck Burnette, a redshirt freshman, is the backup. After Griffin’s early injury Saturday, Hall moved over the center position, and center-quarterback snap exchanges proved to be a problem all day. Presumably, Hall and McCoy will get that figured out now that they have a week to prepare.

Ok, this is non-cfb related but I found it on a CFB blog so it must be good--and it is:

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Wa0ZUqSyaU&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Wa0ZUqSyaU&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

EVIL, EVIL RUNNING

Gamecock defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix will wake up screaming for the next year thinking about a South Carolina defense that gave up 541 yards to the Arkansas Razorbacks; if he were a thinking man, he’d just keep a tranq pistol next to his bedside and shoot himself with it every time he did this, since the horror won’t fade for a while.
It shouldn’t. The chief agent of all that horror was this man, Darren McFadden, who ran for 323 yards, threw for a touchdown, and ran for one that will simply scramble your mind on viewing.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E614oMO0tp8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object></p> Who gives a shit about awards. That’s just pure, boiled evil–four defenders with angles running out of speed in pursuit as McFadden glides forward as if surrounded by a force field. It needs no more certification that what your eyes are telling you: that that man is a mutant, and needs to be registered with the Federal Government immediately.

South Carolina Gives Up 541 Rushing Yards in Loss to Arkansas

Posted Nov 4th 2007 10:13AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: SEC, Arkansas Football, South Carolina Football
steve-spurrier-180c.jpg
South Carolina fans are hopping mad after the Gamecocks' 48-36 loss to Arkansas.

Why? Perhaps it was Arkansas' record-setting performance.

Darren McFadden ran for an incomprehensible 323 yards on 35 carries. He earned his only TD on an 80-yard run late in the game. What made it memorable was that the gash came on the first play run by the Hogs after South Carolina's Cory Boyd plowed in for a 1-yard touchdown to make the game close, 42-36, with 8:15 remaining.

ESPN cameras focused on Boyd as he sat on the bench, watching the replay board in disbelief as Darren McFadden took it to the house and broke the game open again on one run, nullifying the Gamecocks' exhausting 5+ minute, 13 play drive. One could almost read Boyd's hurt and disbelieving eyes: "How does he do that?"

To say that the Hogs ran wild over South Carolina would be an understatement. Felix Jones also had a banner night, gaining 163 yards on only 12 carries, for a 13.6 YPC average and 3 TDs.

Even Casey Dick was efficient, completing 8 of 10 passes for 86 yards and 2 TDs.

The final tally comes like a gut punch to Gamecock fans:the Razorbacks' much maligned offense gained 650 total yards and converted 10-13 on 3rd down, not turning the ball over once and suffering a severe time of possession disadvantage in the process: the 'Cocks "hogged" the ball for nearly 38 minutes but still couldn't outscore Arkansas' tremendously explosive ground game.

And now, for the first time in memory, at least one notable South Carolina blogger is titling his post-game comments "Firesomeone.com". From Brandon at Garnet and Black Attack:
I can't stay quiet any longer. The continued employment of the South Carolina defensive staff needs to be seriously re-evaluated.
The University of South Carolina was embarrassed tonight. Not just defeated, not just thumped, but embarrassed.
... I don't know how high the responsibility should go. Certainly, anyone dealing with the defensive line should be reviewed. Maybe even those who work with the linebackers. Which would bring us, in the case of inside linebackers, to a certain defensive coordinator.

... This isn't the first time this has happened. If nothing changes, it won't be the last. And if it's not the last, then Steve Spurrier can go ahead and give up all hopes of every bringing an SEC title to Columbia.
Because if South Carolina can't stop a completely one-dimensional team that at times reverts to running an offense that was cutting edge in the 1950s, it won't happen.
Well, Brandon, for what it's worth, Steve Spurrier himself was less than impressed with his team's defensive effort:
"Obviously it was a mismatch tonight," South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said. "Looked like a Division III team trying to play an SEC team. Or maybe a Division III team could have slowed them down a little bit better than we could."
Ouch. That defensive coaching staff might want to start tidying up their resumes.

Meanwhile, it's the first significant win of the season for the Hogs. Given that South Carolina's defense has generally been pretty stout in '07, this was a good win for Arkansas. Maybe the heat will be turned down a notch on Houston Nutt's hotseat... ?

Bar is Set Ever Lower at Miami: QB Completes One Pass

Posted Nov 4th 2007 9:38AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Miami Football, NC State Football, ACC
miami-kirby-freeman.jpg

Miami lost to NC State in OT. Final score: 19-16.

It was an ugly game start to finish, but notable mainly for the fact that Miami has set the bar historically low for quarterback play: starter Kirby Freeman, stepping in for an injured Kyle Wright, completed one pass the entire game.

Completed... one... pass.

Not that his passes weren't caught; 4 out of 14 landed in the arms of a football player. The problem? 3 of them wore NC State uniforms.

At least the pass Freeman did complete (to his own teammate) was a good one, an 84-yard completion to Darnell Jenkins which resulted in a touchdown for the Hurricanes.

As Miami heads down the stretch of their 2007 season, so too does the Orange Bowl's farewell tour. The incredible achievements of legendary teams from the past still resonate within the confines of the aging and rickety stadium, but they seem like distant memories now. The Hurricanes have lost three of their last four games, two of them coming at the "O-B". Only their matchup with #23 Virginia remains before Miami moves to Dolphin Stadium in 2008.

The 'Canes, now at 5-4, face an uphill battle to become bowl eligible. Their three remaining games are against Top 25 teams. In addition to #23 Virginia, #11 Va Tech and (former) #2 BC loom as away games. Miami must win two of three to become bowl eligible -- which, judging by their performance against unranked NC State, who came in to Little Havana with just three wins, seems unlikely to say the least.

So what's the word on new head coach Randy Shannon? Most Miami fans seem willing to give Shannon and his staff a pass for '07, blaming the "Cokerization" (their term) of the team in past years. Considering Miami was able to rush for 314 yards and convert 7 of 19 3rd-downs, and still take the game to overtime despite only one completed pass and 3 turnovers ( all interceptions thrown by Freeman), perhaps the 'Canes are just a decent quarterback away from being a competitive team again.

Jib-Jab pokes fun at ESPN CFB crew:

<object id="W472f653c1c501486" width="435" height="429" quality="high" data="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/46a8f95380ba919f/472f653c1c501486" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/46a8f95380ba919f/472f653c1c501486" /><param name="scaleMode" value="showAll" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value="" /></object>

What in the hell was he thinking? | by Jay

(Warning: bad language follows. This is an R-rated post -- please skip it if you are sensitive. If you choose to read it, please picture Chevy Chase in Vacation or Steve Martin at the rental car counter in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and you should get the sense and tone of my exasperation here.)

BUG-EYED mad. Pissed off. Spitting bullets. Even after a night of sleeping on it, I wake up supremely angry. Maybe even angrier than when I went to sleep. So mad I can't even see straight.

I can't figure it out. You have a chance to WIN THE GAME IN REGULATION and you just pass on it. You just waive it. It's the singular worst call of the Charlie Weis era. My foundation of trust is shaken to its core. Any slack Charlie had with me for this shitty season was just squandered and used up.

I just can't wrap my head around it. It's the dumbest call I've seen in years. You might have to go back to Bob Davie at the end of the game versus Purdue when Jarious got sacked; at least then they called a play, and it looked like a miscommunication. This was ALL on Charlie. I never thought I would see the day where Charlie Weis would cost us a ballgame. Those kinds of meltdowns are reserved for gameday idiots like Davie and Willingham and Faust, aren't they? Not Charlie: master of the judicious timeout, ruler of the clock, player of the odds. Even when he made calls that blew up in his face, you sort of saw where he was coming from. Not this time.

Who cares about the goddam streak. Hell, I'm HAPPY for the Navy players and fans. This has nothing to do with that. It's not just about losing the game (which, unbelievably, I had already mentally prepared myself for; this is how low this year has sunk - I'm girding myself to lose to Navy). It's about FOREGOING THE CHANCE TO KICK A FIELD GOAL TO WIN THE MOTHERFUCKING GAME.

Did ANYONE with a Motorola headset question this decision? Latina, Haywood? Corwin, where the hell were you? Charlie Junior -- you wearing that thing for decoration? ANYONE? Ahh, hell, forget the headset -- he should have listened to the crowd. Fifty thousand people yelling "KICK IT YOU STUPID SON OF A BITCH!"

And what did we do instead? A PASS ON 4TH AND 8? THAT'S a better option than a 41-yard try, with a guy with plenty of leg from that distance who has already booted a 48-yarder earlier this year? "We were kicking into the wind," Charlie said, "and we weren't hitting it before the game." SO FUCKING WHAT. You line it up and give it a shot. If you miss, you miss -- but at least you TRIED. AT LEAST YOU TRIED TO WIN THE GAME.

I can't even start with the 4th AND FIFTEEN FAKE FIELD GOAL or the goddam screen passes that got blown up EVERY SINGLE TIME (and honestly, you knew they were going to suck, didn't you? Because we've been running them for EIGHT GAMES NOW and it's clear we can't execute them. WHY ARE THESE PAGES STILL IN OUR PLAYBOOK?) or the crucial moments when you put the game on the shoulders of Evan Sharpley (a game, but let's be honest, a flailing player who's more lucky than good) instead of trusting your rushing attack which had been eating up chunks of yards all game long.

Instead, we play for OVERTIME. Now I don't know a team in the country that is better suited to play in overtime than Navy. YOU KICK THE BALL AND YOU TRY TO END IT IN REGULATION BECAUSE NAVY CAN GET 25 YARDS WHENEVER THEY GODDAM PLEASE. What are those rules again? Never get involved in a land war in Asia, and NEVER GO IN AGAINST NAVY WHEN OVERTIME IS ON THE LINE. I knew it. My friends I was sitting with knew it. Everybody in section 10 knew it. THE WHOLE GODDAM STADIUM KNEW IT, except for some idiot who calls himself the head coach.

"We weren't hitting it before the game into the wind." Give me a break.

You stupid goddam idiot. I'm talking to you, shithead. You just cost us a chance to win the game. Where did you learn your trade, you stupid goddam idiot. You Bob-Davie-versus-Nebraska motherfucker. What you are hired to do is to help us win. Not to FUCK US UP.

And when we lost, I was...angry. You know what? I've never been ANGRY after a loss under Charlie. I have been variously deflated, humiliated, or resigned, but never really angry. The games we've lost we were either overmatched or a victim of our own mistakes. Have I questioned calls in various situations, questioned gameplans, questioned personnel decisions? Absolutely. But I never pinned a loss totally on Charlie until now. I stood in stunned silence. The entire stadium did. Absolutely stunned. Of all the losses in the last three years, this is the first one I hang on his head, and his head alone.

After the game we choked down our anger and congratulated a nice Navy couple sitting in front of us (the older gent in his 70s was literally crying tears of joy) and you couldn't help but think what a great moment for those guys. Good for them. They deserved it. Hell, I'm even going to keep the ticket stub -- it'll probably be worth something someday. We shook their hands and wished them well, and congratulated them on a good game. After all, they outplayed us when it counted.

We trundled out of the stadium and marched directly to the car. Stunned silence. Waves of people emptying out into the parking lots, and nobody saying a goddam thing. Seething. It wasn't the loss - hell, we've had seven of them already this year. Not because Navy outplayed us in overtime -- nope, you knew that was a losing matchup for us. We're seething because maybe, just maybe, it should have never come to that.

We jumped in the car and turned on the postgame show, catching Jack Nolan sounding like he's under seige and barricading the door. "PLEASE, people, if you're going to call in you have to TONE IT DOWN. I know you're upset, but we can't put you on the air if you're going to curse." Fucking hell, Jack -- cursing is all we've got right now.

THEY ALL FALL DOWN
By SMQ
Posted on Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 12:33:15 AM EDT

Two big losers* in the big picture today...
8abe7fe0-4fd5-487d-a142-784daea09e0e.jpg
c4141791-7e29-4769-b2ca-d068e42d0c15.jpg

...and five big winners...
5cff95e2-5f47-41aa-bd2f-96e2d5438c71.jpg
c84bdb9d-8860-491a-960b-1a473b073981.jpg
8af71b09-90c4-4958-bce2-baed67ad2865.jpg

d67711f8-747d-496a-928f-60ae1d344fd2.jpg
Snapshot_2007_11_03_23_30_11.tiff

* - Not in the "you're a loser, Costanza. You'll always be a loser" sort of way, but Arizona State and Boston College went from frontrunners to also-rans in a matter of hours, and all precedents suggest it's too late for either to atone. The door is open very wide for Kansas, Oregon, Oklahoma and your new BCS number two/unwilling Russian roulette aficianado, LSU. All part of the ongoing narrowing of the field, and the circle of life in college football.
Set your clocks back tonight, and use the extra hour to catch up on one of the great works of Western literature - Confederacy of Dunces, perhaps? Or work on your resumé for the Nebraska and Texas A&M jobs. That communications degree will pay off for at least on of them.

So Much for the Ryan Heisman

Posted Nov 4th 2007 12:42AM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Boston College Football, Florida State Football, ACC, Heisman
dweatherford.jpg
QB Matt Ryan becomes the latest star QB to be summarily dismissed for the Heisman after a bad performance and a loss -- joining Tim Tebow, Brian Brohm, Andre' Woodson and a host of other QBs this season. In Matt Ryan's case, this was coming for a while. His final minutes heroics last week salvaged what had been a less than impressive performance for the first 55 minutes. This time the knee jerk reaction almost seems justified as BC lost 27-17.

Facing a Florida State team forced to start Drew Weatherford after Xavier Lee was suspended, the <strike>Golden</strike> Eagles were lousy. Boston College was at home and the weather was lousy. Florida State never trailed in this game. They never really pulled away, but Boston College was just off the entire game.

Ryan piled up 400+ passing yards and even 30 yards rushing, but he also threw 3 interceptions and completed less than 50% of his throws. Most importantly to damage his Heisman candidacy, the <strike>Golden</strike> Eagles lost on a national, prime-time night game that many people saw. The final interception was returned 38 yards for a touchdown to ice the game in the final minutes.

The big problem for BC was that on a wet night, the lack of a running game really caught up with them. BC's backs only produced 36 yards on 11 attempts.

Watching Dixon's Knee

Posted Nov 3rd 2007 11:57PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Oregon Football, Pac 10, Arizona State Football
ddixonsmile.jpg
Oregon's Dennis Dixon, statistically didn't have an overwhelming night against Arizona State. Only 189 passing yards but he made them count with 4 TD passes. The scariest thing, though, was that Dixon twisted his knee in the 4th quarter. He was kept out of the game after that and said it wasn't serious. Safe bet that there will be lots of monitoring and treatments. The good news, is that Oregon has a bye next week to give Dixon extra recovery time.

Oregon, though, didn't take any chances. Not only was he kept on the sideline for the rest of the game, but as the game neared the end it was apparent that the students were going to storm the field. The Ducks sent Dixon off to the locker room before that, to avoid any further risk.

Arizona State kept the game close in the first half, but kept having to settle for field goals despite piling up yards. In the second half, the Sun Devils just couldn't stop the big play. Jonathan Stewart had a 33-yard TD run and Dixon torched Arizona State on the next drive with two runs for 13 and 15 yards before tossing a 19 yard TD pass.

So far this is the best video of the Navy sack on 4th and 8. I'll try to find another video somewhere:

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqEirLpzpA4&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqEirLpzpA4&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

South Florida is Really Trying to Lose

Posted Nov 3rd 2007 5:40PM by John Radcliff
Filed under: Big East, Cincinnati Football, South Florida Football
jim-leavitt-crying.jpg
With five turnovers in the first half, it seems that South Florida is not really interested in winning this game. The Bulls haven't been able to do much of anything on offense inside the red zone. Two fumbles and three interceptions have ruined almost every drive by the Bulls. If not for an interception and a kickoff both returned for touchdowns by the Bulls, this game would be way out of hand by now.

On the flip side, Cincinnati is looking more like the team that started out the season 6-0 and was leading the nation in turnover margin. Not the team that has lost it's last two games and was only able to generate one turnover. They've been balanced on offense, and as you can tell very opportunistic on defense.

The Bulls get the ball to start the second half and had better start doing something positive with it. Raymond James stadium already looks about half empty and the crowd shots are getting tighter and tighter. Wasn't it just a little over a month ago that this place was sold out?

Mark Mangino Pulls a Belichick

Posted Nov 3rd 2007 4:10PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Kansas Football, Nebraska Football, Big 12, NCAA FB Coaching
mmangino1.jpg
We reported to you earlier about the sucktitude that is Nebraska's "defense".

At that point, Kansas had just scored to take a 28-14 lead over the Cornhuskers.

It's only gotten worse for Nebraska, and the Bill Callahan Watch continues. Kansas has scored an incredible 76 points, and the game is still relatively early in the fourth quarter. The Jayhawks have a 76-31 lead, and they've already set the record for most points in a Big 12 game.

While this is incredibly embarrassing for Nebraska, no matter what happens from here, it's also going to bring up some questions in the postgame chatter.

After all, Kansas had the ball, leading 69-31, and they were throwing passes. When their drive stalled, KU head coach Mark Mangino called for a 51-yard field goal attempt instead of a punt or a quick run up the gut on fourth and long.

More controversially, KU still had their starters in the game as they drove on the next possession to score and take a 76-31 lead.

The question of "When do you call off the dogs?" has no easy answer. In fact, there may be no true "correct" answer to the question. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Mangino is in the wrong on this one. Not only was he calling pass plays once the game was well in hand, he was doing it with his offensive starters still out there.

It's a ridiculous and unnecessary risk for Mangino. Starting quarterback Todd Reesing has been playing great football (six touchdown passes today). Why is he out there dropping back to pass on a second-down play when his team is already up by 38 points in the fourth quarter?

Brandon McAnderson has already scored three times, and he has his fourth 100-yard game of the year. Why is he out there scampering across the goal line to put his team up 45 in the fourth quarter?

This isn't even necessarily about sportsmanship, though some will make it out that way. As some have pointed out in response to the Patriots' tendency to run up the score, it only takes one guy on the losing team getting over-emotional, and you have yourself a big-time cheap shot.

It doesn't make sense for the 8-0 Patriots to run that risk, and it certainly doesn't make sense for a Kansas team that is now 9-0 to do it. After all, the odds of a Kansas football team going on a run like this are pretty low, and they should take full advantage of it while they have the chance. After this year, it might be 50 years before Kansas is back in the national championship discussion in football without uproarious laughter being involved.

Is Mangino lobbying for a job on Bill Belichick's staff in New England should one open up?

UPDATE: The dogs were called off. Nebraska scored one more touchdown, added a two-point conversion, but didn't have enough in the tank to muster a comeback. Kansas held on to win 76-39.

Ohio State Rallies to Win

Posted Nov 3rd 2007 3:25PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Ohio State Football, Wisconsin Football, Big 10
jtresselthumb.jpg
That Upset Alert? Yeah, forget it.

Wisconsin's defense got back on the bus late in the third quarter, and Ohio State took advantage. The Buckeyes scored four straight touchdowns between the middle of the third and fourth quarters, and they ended up cruising to a 38-17 win over Wisconsin Saturday.

Wisconsin took that 17-10 lead we warned you about earlier, and then the offense disappeared. Besieged quarterback Tyler Donovan kept getting hit, and the banged-up line turned into a giant sieve. Donovan had no chance to make plays most of the time, as defenders were on top of him before he could set his feet. Though a tough kid, you could tell Donovan was affected by the hits, as he started floating passes because he wasn't setting his feet.

The running game was expected to be absent today for Wisconsin, thanks to the injury to starter P.J. Hill. It was absent for Ohio State until the Badgers took the lead, and that's when Chris Wells took over. Jim Tressel found a hole in the Badger defense, and he was able to use Wells to exploit it. Three cutback runs went for long touchdowns, and Todd Boeckman added a touchdown pass during the big rally by tOSU. The top-ranked Buckeyes stay unbeaten, and they should stay atop the polls.

For Wisconsin, it's a disheartening result. The defense played their guts out for most of the game, and were simply worn down by Wells and the running game. Donovan competed until the game ended, but simply didn't get any help from the five "blockers" in front of him. Ohio State didn't blitz a ton, but they were effective when they did, and they also got very consistent pressure with a four-man rush. Donovan was sacked ten times in the game, and if you want to indict the Wisconsin coaching staff, a good place to start would be the offensive line. Yes, they were banged up, but where was the help? Neither tackle could hold up on their own, and yet they were continuously asked to block guys one-on-one.

Give the Badgers some credit, though. They did come to play against Ohio State, and simply aren't as good as the Buckeyes. Effort was not a problem for them.

Wisconsin will have another chance to play spoiler in the Big Ten race next week, as Michigan visits Madison for Senior Day. Ohio State hosts Illinois for their final home game of the season.

Virginia Tech's Wheeler out for year

Posted: Saturday November 3, 2007 2:31AM; Updated: Saturday November 3, 2007 2:30AM

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Sam Wheeler, Virginia Tech's starting tight end through the first nine games of the season, will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
Wheeler, a redshirt sophomore, was injured in the first quarter of the No. 11 Hokies' 27-3 victory against Georgia Tech on Thursday night. Hokies trainer Mike Goforth said Wheeler will have surgery in a few weeks after the swelling goes down.
He should be back to full strength by next fall, Goforth said.
Wheeler had 15 catches for 211 yards and a touchdown this season.
Also Friday, the school said linebacker Vince Hall had the cast removed from his broken left wrist but will not be ready when Virginia Tech hosts Florida State next Saturday. Hall has missed three games and may return against Miami on Nov. 17.

This Week's Vegas Oddsmakers' Top 25/30

As always, featuring 30 teams and the not-to-be-contested wisdom of Las Vegas Sports Consultants, which tells you which college teams are the best, scoreboard and polls be damned. As of this writing, the oddsmakers and the BCSers both have the same national championship game: Ohio State vs. LSU. The disagreements at the top, and they're mild, come later: BCS's third pick is Oregon, while Vegas would take Oklahoma. Neither chooses undefeated Kansas.
And really, don't ask me why South Carolina is still ahead of Arkansas, because I just don't know.
Biggest frauds, according to Vegas: Connecticut is ranked 14 spots too high by the BCS. Virginia Tech, Georgia and Kansas are ranked seven spots too high. Alabama is ranked five spots too high. Teams like Boston College and Arizona State didn't fall too badly in the all-knowing Vegas rankings, which don't care about wins and losses, so their rankings are now pretty closely in line to what the dumb BCS says.
Biggest sleepers, according to Vegas: Powerhouse teams against the spread, like Cal (15th) and BYU (20th), don't show up in the dumb BCS rankings. Of the teams that do show up, Southern Cal is ranked 10 spots too low, and Florida and Clemson are ranked seven spots too low. Vegas also still has eyes for South Carolina and Arkansas.
Vegas looked smart when: Year-long Vegas fraud Boston College lost, at home, to a Florida State team Vegas has stuck with all season. Year-long Vegas fraud Arizona State lost at Oregon. Year-long Vegas fraud Wisconsin got destroyed by Ohio State. In fact, four of Vegas's seven biggest frauds lost last week. Also, Vegas's beloved Southern Cal, Florida, BYU and Clemson all won big.
Vegas looked dumb when: Vegas has refused to embrace Virginia Tech, and the Hokies got another nice road win. Vegas has refused to embrace Connecticut and Kansas, and both rolled. Vegas heartthrob Cal barely beat Washington State at home. Another team Vegas has been loyal to, South Carolina, lost again.
Games to watch: Wake Forest, which Vegas doesn't trust, is at Vegas fave Clemson. Alabama, which Vegas doesn't trust, is at Mississippi State. Florida State is at Virginia Tech with a chance to knock off another one of Vegas's frauds. Connecticut, which Vegas hates, is at Cincinnati, which Vegas has grown to like. Virginia, which Vegas hates, is at Miami, which Vegas traditionally likes. Most importantly, Vegas has Auburn just ahead of Georgia, while the BCS has Georgia eight spots higher; Auburn is at Georgia this week with a chance to make Vegas look great.
Numbers after the jump. BCS rankings in parentheses.
1. Ohio State (1)
2. LSU (2)
3. Oklahoma (5)
4. Oregon (3)
5. West Virginia (7)
6. Missouri (6)
7. Southern Cal (17)
8. Florida (15)
9. Michigan (12)
10. Boston College (8)
11. Kansas (4)
12t. Texas (14)
12t. Arizona State (9)
14. Clemson (21)
15. California (NR)
16. Auburn (18)
17. Georgia (10)
18. Virginia Tech (11)
19. Hawaii (16)
20. BYU (NR)
21. South Carolina (NR)
22. Arkansas (NR)
23. Penn State (23)
24t. Boise State (20)
24t. Tennessee (24)
26. Texas Tech (NR)
27t. Alabama (22)
27t. Connecticut (13)
29. Cincinnati (NR)
30. Wisconsin (NR)
Not ranked by Vegas: Virginia (19th BCS), Kentucky (25th BCS)

Fran out, Tubs in at Texas A&M?
By Todd Section: Football
Posted on Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 03:24:53 PM EDT

Got this link to a TAMU message board post from a reader e-mail:

For those of you at work that cannot watch TV, the earlier post about ESPN News is not really accurate. What was reported is not 'the usual stuff'. They did not announce speculation. They officially announced: 1. Fran out at the end of the year
2. Negotiations have been happening for last 10 days for buy out
3. Official recruiter has been hired by A&M - (said name and I dont remember)
4. A&M officially targeting Tuberville

And sure enough, at ESPN.com:

Texas A&M is talking about buying out Franchione's contract, sources have told ESPN college football analyst Andre Ware. ...
Franchione has been in hot water with the university for a newsletter he was sending out to donors willing to pay $1,200 for inside information. In mid-October, Texas A&M officials admonished Franchione for his secretive, for-pay newsletter and said the embarrassing episode would be a factor in deciding whether he returns next season.
"The Aggies are embarrassed right now," athletic director Bob Byrne said in October. "This has been a very unfortunate incident we do not want to experience again."
Texas A&M is reportedly researching whether Franchione violated his contract with the income he received from the newsletter. If he is found in violation of the contract, the Aggies may not have to pay the coach anything upon firing him.
Ware reported that Texas A&M wants to talk to Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville for a potential vacancy. He reported that the school is working with Chuck Neinas, who runs a consulting firm specializing in hiring coaches.

Now let me just say that I think it is highly unlikely that Tuberville will head to College Station. He just built a big house in Auburn, his family is reportedly very happy there, and after the contract they gave him after the whole private jet scandal, barring total collapse from the Tigers (like, two or three losing seasons), he's there until he's good and ready to go. Plus, why leave a cushy gig at a program you've built into a respectable conference contender year in and year out to go and rebuild another program that will forever be in another school's shadow? Just doesn't make sense.

<table align="center" width="400"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
pine_coffin.jpg
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">Then again, if you happen to see any of these babies out in the Tuberville's yard...</td></tr></tbody></table> But, then again, I never thought Nick Saban would be the head coach of the Crimson Tide, so there's always a possibility.

Illinois Still Fighting For Respect

Posted Nov 5th 2007 2:40PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Big 10, Illinois Football
illinirespek.jpg
With their 44-17 drubbing of the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Saturday, the Fighting Illini improved to 4-2 in Big Ten play, good enough to stand alone in third place in the conference. If you took a look at the polls though, you would see that apparently it's not enough to garner more respect from the voters. The Illini were ranked as high as #16 in the AP poll after beating Wisconsin, but ever since their loss to Michigan, they've seemingly dropped off the face of the Earth.

In fact, in the last two weeks the Illini have seen Wisconsin and Penn State return to the rankings even though both of those teams have lost to Illinois? So what's the deal?
"It goes back to respect being something you have to continually fight for and earn,'' Illinois coach Ron Zook said. "Until you do it on a consistent basis, that's the way it's going to be.

"Right now Illinois is not a household name. Wisconsin has done a great job, and Penn State has a program that people know about. We've just shown up and been a little bleep on the screen, and that's why it's important to continue to win.''
While that's true, it hasn't seemed to stop teams like Connecticut, and South Florida from getting any votes.

If respect from the pollsters is what the Illini are after, there isn't a better chance for them to get it than when they travel to Columbus this Saturday. If the Illini are somehow able to add Ohio State to the list of Big Ten heavyweights they've taken out this season, I have a feeling we'll find them back in the rankings where I feel they deserve to be.

Boston College should be embarrased

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135"; google_alternate_color = "ffffff"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; //2007-06-19: entries google_ad_channel = "0603066557"; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "003399"; google_color_text = "333333"; google_color_url = "999999"; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><iframe name="google_ads_frame" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1194298250343&lmt=1194298249&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1194298250343&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fboston_college%2F007257.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=1546096358.1193703380&ga_sid=1194298250&ga_hid=1049566482&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=26&u_nmime=104" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe> The Boston College Eagles should be embarrassed by what took place at Alumni Stadium on Saturday night. No, not for loss -- although losing to FSU is certainly not the badge of honor it once was -- but rather for what transpired in the stands and on the scoreboards during the game.
When FSU was on offense, the stadium production team flashed a dizzying light show directly in the line of sight of the play clock. This was not the first game in which that board has been "utilitzed" while the opposing team has the ball. Seminoles QB Drew Weatherford downplayed the impact of the flashing lights while he attempted to read the play clock, but Boston College should be above that kind of stunt.
In the stands, the Boston College fans lived up to their growing reputation of being poor hosts.
Throughout the game, after many controversial calls made by the referees, pieces of trash were thrown onto the field. When FSU scored their final touchdown, heaps of trash joined the scraps that had made their way onto the turf of Alumni. When FSU exited the field, they were downright pelted with a wide variety of litter, from soft, near-harmless pompoms and towels to the potentially dangerous full hot chocolates and water bottles.
When an FSU player was injured on the field and play had stopped, loud cheers erupted from within the student section. When the player rose and left the field, I heard approximately seven people giving him the customary round of applause. When leaving the stadium, I heard a group of BC students shouting obscenities at a passing FSU fan, who appeared to have done nothing to antagonize the group.
Unfortunately, the fans' behavior wasn't entirely unexpected, rather just more of the same at Boston College.
Last year, BC opened its home schedule with games against Clemson and Brigham Young. Fan behavior at Clemson was bad, causing many who made the long trip up from South Carolina to vow to never return to BC. At BYU, fan behavior was even worse. Those seated in the end zone could be heard chanting "F-g Mormons" at the visiting section, sitting only 10 feet away. Despite that, our opponents played well and their fans treated us with respect.​
To it's credit, BC has attempted to crack down on this behavior at football games -- with sports marketing and other departments getting involved over the last two years -- so I guess opposing players & fans should be grateful.
In the meantime, you stay classy, BC.

WHICH BUYOUT PACKAGE WOULD YOU LIKE?

60248.jpg
Don’t make me get the health department in here…
Coach Dennis Franchione here, and believe what you’re hearing–I am willing to accept a buyout. In fact, I’m excited about accepting this buyout and all it has to offer me.
Remember, though, that here at Texas A&M my staff and I have done nothing but fight for the best every single day. We believe in–caps for championship emphasis–HOLDING THE ROPE, day in and day out for the Aggie Nation. And that’s just what I’m gonna do here in this negotiation. The hands? Mine. The metaphorical rope? That’s your dicks, gentlemen.
What have I got to hold your balls to your ceremonial bonfire, sirs?
Well, I sold hot dogs on campus from a cart near the Agricultural Science buildings for the past three years. I was clearing 2600 a month on that thing, and that’s with what, like, 20 hours of labor a week? Shit, with this coaching thing going and the email newsletter I was up to my ears in loot.
I bought a new Camry. With cash, guys! That’s just how good things were!
Anyway, I never got a license and bought my dogs across the border from my close friend Antonio, a Mexican gentleman who sold warm meats out of his trunk. I don’t even know what kind of meat they were, but Coach Fran’s Giggin’ Weenies sold like crack on a cheap bun one you put a little mustard on them and put ol’ coach behind the steamer.
But then someone got a hold of a fishy dog, and got sick. How sick? I’ll be frank with you: they got very sick. So sick they almost paid the ultimate price: paralysis, a fate worse than death. Imagine it, being trapped in your own body like a prisoner in reeking, fleshy cage! A living hell, I bet.
Not, this kid got off easier than that–he died. And when his family thought of going to public health, suing the university, and ruining my reputation along with that of Antonio the warm meat merchant and lastly this fine university, I wouldn’t accept it. So I had a brief talk with his surviving family and offered them forty dollars and an autographed Dennis Franchione HOLD THE ROPE T-SHIRT for their silence and forgiveness. It’s very important to establish trust with those around you, and I genuinely sought to do that.
I was shocked when they refused. Oh, they made a lot of ruckus when I set the house on fire. Whew, and they got even louder when I started firing! But it was for the greater good and after enough screaming and carrying on and hours of me chasing them all through the woods, I think they understand where I’m coming from, and what I’m trying to teach here. I think we’ve all come through this even closer than when we started, and I’ve generously paid for their hotel room while they begin to rebuild the lives they once knew before I destroyed them.
Anyway, the really serious part is the hot dog license without a permit, which could be a fine of up to hundreds of dollars here. If you don’t want the Bryan and College Station Health Department on you like a bag of barking hammers, you better give Coach Fran what he wants. You don’t know hell until you’ve gotten a kitchen inspection from them. For a mere $2 million dollars, that’s what you can avoid. Your choice, friends. Choose wisely.

It's time to make a deal with Tuberville

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times November 05, 2007 2:36 PM

There no longer can be much question that Texas A&M wants Tommy Tuberville to be its next coach.
There are conficting reports on whether Texas A&M has reached an agreement to buy out current coach Dennis Franchione's contract, but there can't be much doubt that his days are numbered. More importantly to Auburn, ESPN contributor Andre Ware, the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback at Houston, reported Monday that Tuberville, nearing the end of his ninth Auburn season, is A&M's first choice and there is no second choice. There are also rumblings that, if Houston Nutt is out as Arkansas coach at the end of the season, Tuberville would be high on the Razorbacks' wish list.
I've said it here before. I'll say it again, and with conviction. Tuberville does not want to leave Auburn. Athletics director Jay Jacobs has made it exceedingly clear that he doesn't want Tuberville to leave.
But there are issues that Tuberville wants addressed - better deals for his assistant coaches, facilities and other things. And he probably does want his own deal to be at least a little closer to what Nick Saban has at Alabama.
The bottom line is that, after weeks of speculation, it's now out in the open that Texas A&M wants Tuberville. It's time for it all to be put to rest,.and that ball is in the court of the Auburn administration.
Jacobs said last week that university president Jay Gogue's policy is to meet with the coach after the season. My question is this: What's wrong with next week? The football team has an open date, so there should be no conflict. Get together and get it done.
The time has come to put this issue to rest.

Texas Should Catch Notre Dame in All Time Wins Saturday, Says Vegas

Posted Nov 5th 2007 5:10PM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Notre Dame Football, Texas Football, Big 12, Featured Stories
cweis2.jpg
Earlier this year, the Fanhouse noted the relative vectors of Texas and Notre Dame, suggesting that if ND was as epically bad is they appeared to be at 0-4, a ten-win-or-so year from the Longhorns could result in Notre Dame losing its hallowed spot as the team with the second-most wins all time (#1 Michigan remains 40-some games ahead of both chasers):
As of now, the Longhorns are just four games behind Notre Dame for #2 all time. If Notre Dame goes 4-8, which looks like an absolute best-case scenario, Texas can pass ND if they go 13-1, which would require making the Big Twelve Championship game and either winning it or losing it -- not likely -- and winning their bowl game. If Notre Dame goes 3-9 or 2-10, things get considerably easier, ie: can-lose-to-Oklahoma-like-everyone-expects easier.
Six weeks have passed since that post. Thanks to a stirring 21-point comeback that led to a 38-35 win over Oklahoma State, the Longhorns have gone 4-1 in that span. And thanks to a lot of hideous play on Notre Dame's part and some incredibly worse play on the part of UCLA's third-string walk-on quarterback, Notre Dame has gone 1-4.

Unless you're Charlie Weis, you can probably add (25 yard line + 17 yards = ??? 85?), but in case you are: that means this week could be the catch. If Texas beats Texas Tech (and the Longhorns are favored by 6.5) and Notre Dame loses to Air Force (and the Cadets are favored by three), Texas and Notre Dame be tied with 822 victories, and Texas would have a shot to pass Notre Dame as the season wraps up.

Texas, of course, would also have a shot at a bowl win, something that will elude Notre Dame unless the BCS hastily changes its bylaws to accommodate what's probably the best 1-8 team in the history of Notre Dame. And that's saying a lot.

OK, here's a little bit better video of the 4th and 8 "Superman/Waterboy" sack by Navy.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mql6BEt6hX0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mql6BEt6hX0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

UConn reserve RB Allen suspended

Posted: Monday November 5, 2007 8:09PM; Updated: Monday November 5, 2007 8:09PM

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut reserve tailback Lou Allen has been suspended indefinitely for an unspecified team rules violation, coach Randy Edsall announced Monday.
Allen, a redshirt junior, has played in all nine games for the No. 16 Huskies (8-1). He has rushed for 118 yards on 37 carries and has five touchdowns.
The school had no further comment on the suspension.
Allen, of Salem, played his high school ball at East Lyme, where he set a conference-record 2,007 rushing yards as a senior.

Adding:

Arizona St -7 (-110) $800

See italicized and underlined section of article below (thanks, Yanks).

Last edited:
GL this week buddy...and thanks as always or the News! Gotta have something to read when I get home from work!

:cheers:

No, problem, man. Anytime. Nice to see that at least one of us is making some paper this season.

NC State- Not That Bad?

Posted Nov 6th 2007 12:04AM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: Miami Football, NC State Football, ACC, BCS
77536118.jpg
At one point, we had to wonder whether East Carolina deserved to be an ACC team more than a good portion of actual ACC teams. And as far as NC State...although you could usually rely on Tom O'Brien for the most joyless 7-9 win seasons possibly, the Wolfpack looked to regress even further from the Chuck Amato teams that seemed to embody the worst aspects of Florida State teams of the '90s.

But you have to wonder if the Pack are turning things around way faster than expected. Following a convincing win against ECU, they managed to beat Virginia at their own game by scoring a late touchdown to seal a close win. And now, even though the Orange Bowl isn't the forbidding Miami enclave it used to be, beating them in OT would have to constitute a huge leap forward for the Pack. Well, it wasn't pretty, but NC State is now putting themselves in position for an unthinkable bowl bid, moving to 4-5 with a win against Miami, due in no small part to Kyle Freeman's astounding 1-14, 3 INT performance at QB.

Granted, they were outgained by Miami and needed a flubbed 27-yard field goal in OT to get it done, but you can't argue with a +3 turnover margin on the road. Better yet, look at the remaining schedule: a homer against the promising, but inconsistent UNC, a trip to nearby Wake Forest and closing out against the reeling Maryland Terrapins. 6-6 is probable, but 7-5 is even possible, resulting in likely the most appreciated trip to Boise we've seen in some time.

Back