Week 10 Writeups and hopefully feedback

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
Well, last week the day started out pretty rosy as I cashed my first 6 bets on the list, bu then the wheels fell off and I ended up as good as a coin flip, 6-6. The night games were especially bad. During a 45 minute period between about 7:30-8:15 central, North Carolina, Teas Tech, and Missouri got outscored collectively somewhere in the neighborhood of 103-7. It was rapid fire TDs...they were coming in so fast that all 3 of those games were effectively over before anyone even sniffed the 4th quarters. Ultimately, like any week there were some well handicapped games and some absolute abominations. We'll see if I can avoid the latter this week.

1. @Boise St +3.5 v BYU: I want to make it abundantly clear that I am a big admirer of this BYU team. They have been dominant for the most part all year, and Zach Wilson is a stud at QB, but now that this line has moved all the way to 3.5, this is an must play for me. It's been harped on ad nauseum this week, but Boise has been a dog only once in the last 10 years on the blue turf and they won that game a couple years ago when Fresno was good under Tedford. Due to COVID, BYU had to modify their schedule and it's resulted in a collection of patsies that have led to some formidable stats, but 2 games in, Boise has been similarly dominant against Utah State and Air Force. Regardless of who plays QB for Boise, BYU is going to see a major step up in class in passing games, and I think Boise will move the ball on them through the air. With the exception of Houston(who torched the Cougs for almost 10 yards per attempt) BYU hasn't seen a competent passing attack all year, so they'll have their work cut out for them. There's no doubt that I'm never going to be enthusiastically sprinting to the window to fade BYU this year, but when a very good Boise team with a high octane pass game is getting more than a FG at home, it's what the kids call an auto play.

2. Michigan State +7 (-120) @ Iowa: This line has meandered under 7, but you can reasonably buy it to 7 "globally". I realize this looks like a bit of a square play, but that's what I thought last week too when I laid off playing heavy on the Spartans and that ridiculous 20+ they were getting last week. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa gets off to a good start again this week like they did against Northwestern last week, but I think the game will prove too long for the Hawkeyes once again to be able to cover a spread like this. It seems as though in both of their games this year, Iowa got out to a lead and then tried to hold on for dear life. Lat week, it became apparent that Ferentz and company had absolutely no interest in any further scoring while they were nursing their lead against Northwestern, and I was fine with that as I was holding a Wildcat ticket. Iowa QB Spencer Petras does not appear ready to lead the Hawkeyes to any meaningful offensive performances, and Michigan State's defense through two games has shown themselves to be stout against the run and the pass. Iowa's defense has been very good as well, but at least MSU's skill guys have been explosive enough to help Rocky Lombardi somehow show some flashes of competence in the passing game. 7 is too much here.

3. Michigan -3 @Indiana: This is just a terrible spot for Indiana in my opinion. Despite being 2-0 and a bit of a darling of the college football scene so far this year, they've been fortunate to find themselves in that position because their offense has been pretty anemic. They rank 89th in yards per play, 97th in rushing yards per attempt and 98th on third down. Now Michigan comes in fresh off the embarrassment of an outright loss as a 21 point favorite to their little brother who was supposed to be terrible this year. Indiana hasn't beaten Michigan in 33 years, and I could only find one time that they've pulled that feat off until I stopped looking once I got past 1976. That 1987 victory also represents the only time they would have covered a 3 point spread in that time period. I have a hard time believing that Indiana will be 3-0 and Michigan will be 1-2 after this week, and only spotting the Hoosiers 3 points when they can't move the ball with any kind of regularity represents a heck of a hill to climb.

4. West Virginia +7(-125) @ Texas: I'm guessing that it's just a matter of time until Texas's point output starts matching the actual production their generating on the field. They had a nice win in Stillwater against Oklahoma State last week, but they were the recipient of a net 4 turnovers, which allowed them to rack up 41 points despite not cracking 300 total yards in the game. Now they face a West Virginia defense that ranks 4th in the country in yards per play, and 7th against the pass. Although Texas's defense is much improved as well, it's not so improved that they'll be able to cover a TD spread without putting up some points. Throw in the fact that Texas typically underperforms in the favorite role, and I'll take those points.

Love the wvu play.

As I’ve mentioned I think lot of you guys have a better handle on most the big10 than I do. Other than the occasional game I never play a whole lot in that conf, for whatever reason just don’t feel like I see it as well.

you the second person I respect I’ve seen on Boise, in a weird way that almost makes me feel little better bout byu lean but either way that a small degen bet for me.

your comments about Indiana offense are super interesting to me, since I don’t follow this conf the same it a good case study in a more “square” perception (mine in this case, lol) vs reality, cause I consider Hoosiers offense to be a strength! But that without much watching or diving into numbers which why I think my perception admittedly square in this case.

I agree on Michigan, Indiana luck boxed against PST only racking up 211 yds offense, were the recipients of 3 TO and were thrashed in TOP 40/20 and plays 87/62. Pennix has not looked very accurate to me and I expect Don Brown's defense to put a lot of pressure on him with a variety of blitz packages. I would think Mich will be super motivated after playing such a poor game last week vs. MSU. Like your WVU play too, as getting at TD with the far superior defensive team is very intriguing. BOL Brass.

Last edited:
4. West Virginia +7(-125) @ Texas: I'm guessing that it's just a matter of time until Texas's point output starts matching the actual production their generating on the field. They had a nice win in Stillwater against Oklahoma State last week, but they were the recipient of a net 4 turnovers, which allowed them to rack up 41 points despite not cracking 300 total yards in the game. Now they face a West Virginia defense that ranks 4th in the country in yards per play, and 7th against the pass. Although Texas's defense is much improved as well, it's not so improved that they'll be able to cover a TD spread without putting up some points. Throw in the fact that Texas typically underperforms in the favorite role, and I'll take those points.

Nailed it here. But the "much improved" Texas defense is all relative. Going from abysmal to almost / sorta respectable isn't the leap I prefer. Alas.

This game could go either way, 24-20.

Nailed it here. But the "much improved" Texas defense is all relative. Going from abysmal to almost / sorta respectable isn't the leap I prefer. Alas.

This game could go either way, 24-20.
Exactly. "Much improved" from CeeDee Lamb breaks 49 tackles in one quarter to borderline competent.

I haven’t liked what I saw from BYU’s defense this year.
They have a hard time generating pressure from the front 4.

5. @Ga Southern +3.5 v Troy: Last week one of my favorite "wrong team favored" games was Troy/ Arkansas St, but this week, the Trojans find themselves in a bad spot. Ga Southern should be able to run on the Trojans, and the Eagles primary issue when they struggle is when teams throw on them and put them in a hole that their heavy rush attack can't get them out of. I actually believe their pass defense is superior to the Troy passing attack, and GSU will definitely control the run game. Getting more than 3 points in that scenario is more than enough for me.

6. Texas Tech +9 @ TCU: Back to the well with the Red Raiders after they were completely embarrassed last week against Oklahoma. I am not sold on TCU's ability to stop anyone, and TT's overall yards per pass and yards per play are pretty decent. I think TT will put pressure on this defense, which is ranked near the bottom in almost every category. TT's offense isn't much better but they'll be cable to compete with the lethargic Horned Frog defense. I also keep coming back to TCU's ATS record as a home favorite over the years. (4-12). I like the Red Raiders getting points against a team that has a hard time with putting people away.

Last edited:
Texas Tech +9 @ TCU: Back to the well with the Red Raiders after they were completely embarrassed last week against Oklahoma. I am not sold on TCU's ability to stop anyone, and TT's overall yards per pass and yards per play are pretty decent. I think TT will put pressure on this defense, which is ranked near the bottom in almost every category. TT's defense isn't much better but they'll be cable to compete with the lethargic Horned Frog defense. I also keep coming back to TCU's ATS record as a home favorite over the years. (4-12). I like the Red Raiders getting points against a team that has a hard time with putting people away.
That’s a hold your nose game, but agree. I’d like the 10 spot tho

I see some 10s popping on ttech. If I can get that or better when I go up to bet the 2:30 and later slate I’ll be on them too. Is it me or has it been pretty hard to figure out where some these lines going this year? Last week I waited and by time I went to bet half the games I like the spreads had evaporated and pretty much caused me to have to find other plays, this week quite a few I like have continually moved up all way till kick (sjst last night was all way to 10.5 by time I bet them!). Wonder if we seeing more or different money than years past that maybe causing some of it? I never been close to being a expert on knowing which way they would move but this year has just seemed even tougher to figure out! I guess the point being when you can get a number you feel good about at any point you should probably just grab and live with what happens after.

7. @Mississippi St -18 v Vandy: I found this at 18 a few minutes ago so I jumped on it. Everyone knows about the absolute disaster Leach's crew has been since the opening win against LSU. Their offense went from the penthouse to the outhouse in a heartbeat, and haven't recovered since. KJ Costello has been absurdly bad in their last couple games, averaging something like 3 yards per attempt. Although the offense is a worthy subject to obsess about for observers, their defense has been very good all year, and that doesn't look like it's going to change. They've played A%M and Alabama and despite that still grade out as one of the better defenses in the country, holding opponents significantly under their averages. Vandy's offense is predictably putrid, and unless something crazy happens, they'll struggle to crack 200 yards until garbage time ensues. Another notable thing about Vandy, which is a little different than recent years is how terrible their defense is. 100th in yards per play against, 99th against the run, 91st against the pass. Whatever it is that MSU is trying to do on offense, they'll probably be able to do today. Leach and co. really need to get themselves righted, and Vandy looks like they might be the perfect antidote.

I see some 10s popping on ttech. If I can get that or better when I go up to bet the 2:30 and later slate I’ll be on them too. Is it me or has it been pretty hard to figure out where some these lines going this year? Last week I waited and by time I went to bet half the games I like the spreads had evaporated and pretty much caused me to have to find other plays, this week quite a few I like have continually moved up all way till kick (sjst last night was all way to 10.5 by time I bet them!). Wonder if we seeing more or different money than years past that maybe causing some of it? I never been close to being a expert on knowing which way they would move but this year has just seemed even tougher to figure out! I guess the point being when you can get a number you feel good about at any point you should probably just grab and live with what happens after.
I don't know. Whenever I try to read the market I get burned, especially late movement. Very popular dogs are sometimes the exception, but I often outsmart myself when I try to cover every single angle of the handicapping puzzle.

I don't know. Whenever I try to read the market I get burned, especially late movement. Very popular dogs are sometimes the exception, but I often outsmart myself when I try to cover every single angle of the handicapping puzzle.

lol. Well put. When I have to much time I drive myself nuts with it. When normally I don’t really care what the line does.

8. Florida +3.5 v Georgia: I'm afraid this might be a square side, but I really think these teams have their momentums going in different directions. Florida seemed to galvanize themselves in that second half against Missouri last week, and unless Georgia makes a QB change, they look like a team completely uninspired by what's happening on offense. They didn't even try to throw the ball against Kentucky last week, instead relying on the defense's certain ability to blank whatever it is Kentucky is trying to do on offense with the totally disinterested Joey Gatewood at QB. Georgia has several key guys out on defense, and in matchups between high powered offenses and great defenses, although the offenses may not "win out", they score points. Although Florida hasn't been great on defense, they've been getting better lately, and they haven't given up much via the pass even when they were struggling. The loss on LeCounte on defense for UGA is a big one IMO, and once Trask gets going, they might find a void when they need some leadership. Maybe Stetson Bennet will get the offense revved up and the Dawgs will score some points, but my guess is that Smart won't be confident of that when formulating a game plan, hoping to do what he did against Kentucky in the ideal scenario. With an injured defense, it's going to be tough, and Trask isn't going to play the Joey Gatewood role for them. I like Florida outright here.

9. Cincy -13 v Houston: Nothing fancy about this one. I'm riding Cincinnati until someone shows they can score against them, especially when most of these someones have defenses that Desmond Ritter can throw on. Enter Houston and their #95 pass defense. Once Cincy plays a solid defense that can pressure Ritter and force him into the mistakes he used to make, they might be challenged, but if Memphis and SMU were helpless against this Bearcat D, a disorganized and slightly inferior Dana Holgerson outfit ain't gonna cut it either.

10. @FAU -7 v Western Kentucky: FAU's defense is good, 17th in yards per play against, 9th against the run and 8th in sacks. They don't give up anything on 3rd down either, and the fact that they held Marshall to 20 points on the road is more evidence of that in practice. WKU's offense is terrible. They couldn't move the ball on Chattanooga, and they got blown out 37-14 to a similar team to FAU in UAB. FAU isn't great on offense, but they can run it a little, and WKU is 84th in that category against a group of teams that certainly don't remind you of the Ron Dayne Wisconsin teams. FAU has a knack of dispatching weak conference foes at home, and I think WKU definitely fits the bill.

11. Pitt +2 @Florida State: I look at this line, and especially the way Pitt has played on offense recently, and I get nervous that they pretty much have to win this game outright to cover, but this is a good matchup for them, and they look to be the better team here, assuming they can get anything at all going on offense. It looks like Kenny Pickett is going to start for the Panthers, so they have a chance to be competent there. The major reason I like Pitt here is their matchup on defense with the FSU offense. Since the Noles made the switch to Jordan Travis at QB, the one thing they've been able to do is run the ball a bit with him, but that is unlikely to work against Pitt's #2 run defense. Pitt isn't great against the pass, but FSU cannot throw the ball if their lives depended on it. The Noles are also 98th in yards per play on defense, 93rd on 3rd down and can't stop the run. Pitt's defense and the return of Pickett on offense gives them the edge on both sides of the ball in my opinion, so I'll take the points.

Wow... these 2 Michigan squads really showing out today!

That Michigan secondary isn’t even competitive. No resistance at all and when they do, they just beg for PI.

11. Pitt +2 @Florida State: I look at this line, and especially the way Pitt has played on offense recently, and I get nervous that they pretty much have to win this game outright to cover, but this is a good matchup for them, and they look to be the better team here, assuming they can get anything at all going on offense. It looks like Kenny Pickett is going to start for the Panthers, so they have a chance to be competent there. The major reason I like Pitt here is their matchup on defense with the FSU offense. Since the Noles made the switch to Jordan Travis at QB, the one thing they've been able to do is run the ball a bit with him, but that is unlikely to work against Pitt's #2 run defense. Pitt isn't great against the pass, but FSU cannot throw the ball if their lives depended on it. The Noles are also 98th in yards per play on defense, 93rd on 3rd down and can't stop the run. Pitt's defense and the return of Pickett on offense gives them the edge on both sides of the ball in my opinion, so I'll take the points.

Pickett playing? I bet pitt assuming he was out.

Back