Week 1 Upset Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 1 NFL Upset Alert: History Is On Cleveland's Side

Cincinnati Bengals vs. Cleveland Browns
Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 1 p.m. ET at Cleveland Browns Stadium in Cleveland

Series History

Cleveland has dominated the series history between these teams, especially when they play in Cleveland.

Overall, Cleveland is 8-2 SU in its last ten games against Cincinnati.

Dating to 2018, Cleveland has won all five of its last five home games against the Bengals.

The Browns' last home win against Cincinnati was particularly convincing: they won 32-13.

Pass Protection

While it's easy to be enamored with the Bengals because they have one of the NFL's top quarterbacks, the hard reality is that no quarterback can be effective when lying on his back.

Pass protection has been a consistent problem for Cincinnati.

Last year, they ranked 18th at limiting the rate at which their quarterback gets sacked.

This unit is largely the same.

While they've improved at left tackle with the addition of Orlando Brown, Brown still needs to find chemistry with the other offensive linemen.

Cleveland's Pass Rush

Even if chemistry were not an issue for Brown and company, Cleveland's defensive line has improved significantly, which more than makes up for any improvement in Cincinnati's pass protection.

The Browns' big addition is defensive end Za'Darius Smith.

A Pro Bowler last year who accumulated ten sacks, Smith will play opposite of star Myles Garrett.

Having two strong edge rushers is significant because it prevents the opposing pass protection unit from ganging up on either edge rusher.

Moreover, Dalvin Tomlinson will be effective especially against the run. According to PFF, he was the third-best interior defensive lineman in free agency.

Cleveland's Offense

With three Pro Bowlers -- at left guard, right guard, and right tackle -- Cleveland's offensive line will be stronger than Cincinnati's.

Most importantly, the Browns' pass protectors are now familiar with quarterback Deshaun Watson's playing style, specifically his mobility and his proclivity to extend plays.

Watson has a superb supporting cast: recent All-Pro selection running back Nick Chubb is reliably efficient and productive.

Amari Cooper at wide receiver is a four-time Pro Bowler whose downfield prowess will help Watson exploit Cincinnati's overhauled safety group and the Bengals' cornerback group that misses Eli Apple.

Best Bet: Browns +2.5 at -110 with Bet365 & Browns ML at +120 with Bet365

Tennessee Titans vs. New Orleans Saints
Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 1 p.m. ET at Caesars Superdome in New Orleans

New Orleans' Key Absences

The Saints will miss two key players.

One is Trai Turner, their Pro Bowl left guard.

Two is star running back Alvin Kamara.

Tennessee's Defensive Line

Turner would have helped the Saints improve in pass protection -- last year, they ranked 17th at limiting the rate at which their quarterback gets sacked.

Whereas New Orleans' offensive line largely consists in inconsistent players whose injuries have hindered them from gaining chemistry with each other, Tennessee's defensive line is reliable, especially at full strength.

Most prominently, Tennessee boasts Denico Autry, who achieved eight sacks in twelve games last year, and Jeffery Simmons, who accrued 7.5 sacks and nine run stuffs in 15 games last year.

Harold Landry, who had twelve sacks in his last healthy season, is also a significant contributor to his team's pass rush.

Comparing Wide Receiver Outlooks

Tennessee's pass rush will help out its secondary, which is spearheaded by Kristian Fulton, whose success against Indianapolis wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr., among others, has established him as a very good cornerback in coverage.

Sean Murphy-Bunting, who allowed 22 receptions on 40 targets last season, will complement Fulton, giving the Titans' cornerback group a proven depth that New Orleans' lacks with its uncertain youth.

Tennessee's well-rounded pass rush and deeper cornerback group will help it contain New Orleans' pass attack while, on offense, the Titans boast the top wide receiver on the field in five-time All-Pro selection DeAndre Hopkins.

Running the Ball

Tennessee has the means to remain stout against the run inside the 20 and overall.

Anyways, with Kamara absent, the Titans have a tremendous edge at running back with Derrick Henry, who faces a Saints run defense that, at 24th, ranked 24 spots behind Tennessee's last year.

Whereas New Orleans will have to be one-dimensional and rely on its pass attack against Tennessee's pass rush and improved secondary group, the Titans' offense can be more balanced with Henry and Hopkins moving downfield.

Best Bet: Titans +3 at +100 with Bet365 & Titans ML at +160 with Bet365

Las Vegas Raiders vs. Denver Broncos
Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 4:25 p.m. ET at Empower Field at Mile High in Denver

Series History

Las Vegas is a reliable bet because it has won six in a row against Denver.

Last year, the Raiders won at 2.5-point underdogs in a low-scoring contest in Denver.

They also showed that they can score a lot on the Broncos' well-reputed defense, winning 32-23 at home.

Josh Jacobs

Raiders' running back Josh Jacobs has provided much of the motor behind his team's ongoing success against the Broncos.

In both games against them last year, he exceeded 100 yards.

Broncos' Pass Defense

While Denver's well-reputed defense can't carry its team by stopping Jacobs, its pass rush will be at least as helpless.

Last year, the Broncos ranked 26th in sack rate.

During the offseason, the Broncos lost Baron Browning, who accrued five sacks in 14 games last year, to injury, while adding little to their pass rush.

While the Broncos boast a top-level cornerback in Patrick Surtain, the Raiders have an even stronger talent in wide receiver Davante Adams.

Last year, in two games matched up against Surtain, Adams was targeted 14 times and caught nine passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns, including a game-winner.

Denver's Offense

With especially Adams and Jacobs being productive for Las Vegas, Denver's outlook is negative because it can't rely on its offense to keep pace.

Last year, the Broncos ranked last with 16.9 points per game.

Quarterback Russell Wilson turned out to be a dud, and he won't be able to receive support from Jerry Jeudy, his top wide receiver, who is injured.

The Broncos' offense still does not have much playmaking ability.

Best Bet: Raiders +3.5 at -110 with Bet365 & Raiders ML at +167 with Bet365

Yea I’d have to agree on Saints/Tits game.
Only way to play it. I wouldn’t say the WR group for the Saints is inexperienced so much. Totally forgot about Hopkins now on Tenn…Lattimore usually never follows a WR and stays on his side, but that’s top shelf matchup!
I’m super high on Jeffrey Simmons being on his way to being best in the league…
I bet Tajae Spears would love an opportunity to touch the ball in the Dome too.
I’ll be there, can’t wait.
Great write ups!!

Yea I’d have to agree on Saints/Tits game.
Only way to play it. I wouldn’t say the WR group for the Saints is inexperienced so much. Totally forgot about Hopkins now on Tenn…Lattimore usually never follows a WR and stays on his side, but that’s top shelf matchup!
I’m super high on Jeffrey Simmons being on his way to being best in the league…
I bet Tajae Spears would love an opportunity to touch the ball in the Dome too.
I’ll be there, can’t wait.
Great write ups!!
I said (or meant to say) that Saints CB group after Lattimore is proven/inexperienced, that’s accurate, right, especially after Adebo‘s year last year?

I said (or meant to say) that Saints CB group after Lattimore is proven/inexperienced, that’s accurate, right, especially after Adebo‘s year last year?
I could’ve misread. Apparently they let Roby go because they believe in Alontae Taylor. As do I. Think he’s gonna be a good one. And supposedly he went for CB and Adebo had a great camp and he’s back roaming/nickel. Then Mathieu and Maye. I feel pretty good there. Obviously Lattimore.

I could’ve misread. Apparently they let Roby go because they believe in Alontae Taylor. As do I. Think he’s gonna be a good one. And supposedly he went for CB and Adebo had a great camp and he’s back roaming/nickel. Then Mathieu and Maye. I feel pretty good there. Obviously Lattimore.
I didn‘t realize outlook for Saints secondary was so strong.

The other two big counterpoints would also be for Saints D: Pass rush vs Titans o-line and Derrick Henry tendency to start seasons slow.

Under might be the move for this game!

Love the Browns play

I like everything about it except the fact I’ve yet to see watson come close to resembling the dude he was before getting a few years off. I honestly have no clue if we ever will? I think there a real chance giving a dude who doesn’t sound like much of a person 250 mil he gets no matter what might just been his ticket to not really caring enough to ever get back to that level. Or maybe it just takes time after being away that long and dealing with paying off a bunch of woman to make shit go away? Browns the toughest team in football for me to begin to say what they gonna be, if he gets back to being the dude I couldn’t believe bears took trubisky ahead of and carried a crappy Texans franchise w a terrible coach to the playoffs multiple times they are right there w all the other 3 very good teams in the nfc north. Just thought by now if he was gonna be that player again we woulda seen glimpses at least!

They are definitely catching bengals at the right time tho, they will be a way tougher out as Burrow finds his groove after missing another camp. I actually hate that he has to play for this shit franchise cause other than having some very good wrs he hasn’t gotten shit for help ! It’s insane he has drug this garbage coach and mostly awful oline as far as he has the last few years! If i was him I would think twice bout signing a new deal w these losers. Probably hard to pass up being the highest paid player in the league knowing that if he doesn’t sign a deal they will just tag him the next 2 years and by then he could be broken playing in this uninspired system and taking more a beating than most every other qb!!

I don’t dislike any of them really, just not sure I can start my year betting on 1 qb I know Is awful (tannehill), im not sure Hopkins the best wr on that field any longer? He certainly was at one point but for my money I’ll take saints receivers all day ovsr once great wr who I think has clearly lost a step. I feel like titans are every bit as one dimensional as the saints I guess could be? They did bring in a solid back to play while kumara out and I assume still have a roll when he back. I rather have saints one dimensional passing attack than titans who will never win a game cause tannenhill their qb, sometimes they win in spite of him with their one dimensional run game lead by a back with a bunch of miles on those tires, more importantly if I can only do one thing on offense in this day and age I most certainly rather have what could be a fantastic passing attack opposed to a strong run game and a qb nobody has to or should respect.

Qb 2 is obviously watson, at least we know at one time he was a very good qb, just dunno if he is anymore? He might not have to be in this game, no way would I wanna back cincy this week vs most anyone.,

I like everything about it except the fact I’ve yet to see watson come close to resembling the dude he was before getting a few years off. I honestly have no clue if we ever will? I think there a real chance giving a dude who doesn’t sound like much of a person 250 mil he gets no matter what might just been his ticket to not really caring enough to ever get back to that level. Or maybe it just takes time after being away that long and dealing with paying off a bunch of woman to make shit go away? Browns the toughest team in football for me to begin to say what they gonna be, if he gets back to being the dude I couldn’t believe bears took trubisky ahead of and carried a crappy Texans franchise w a terrible coach to the playoffs multiple times they are right there w all the other 3 very good teams in the nfc north. Just thought by now if he was gonna be that player again we woulda seen glimpses at least!

They are definitely catching bengals at the right time tho, they will be a way tougher out as Burrow finds his groove after missing another camp. I actually hate that he has to play for this shit franchise cause other than having some very good wrs he hasn’t gotten shit for help ! It’s insane he has drug this garbage coach and mostly awful oline as far as he has the last few years! If i was him I would think twice bout signing a new deal w these losers. Probably hard to pass up being the highest paid player in the league knowing that if he doesn’t sign a deal they will just tag him the next 2 years and by then he could be broken playing in this uninspired system and taking more a beating than most every other qb!!
Agree with you on Watson, Burrow. Though I think a full-offseason for Deshaun will be valuable. Hard for him to come in late in the 2022 season and be expected to perform like he did in Houston. To me, this game comes down to the trenches as Cavs explains above.

Bengals have been slow starters early in the season under Burrow going 0-3 since 2020 in their first road game of the season. Bengals are 1-5 in their first two games since 2020 with the lone win due to a Dalvin Cook fumble late in OT versus the Vikes... Vikes were in long FG range. Burrowing missing significant camp time continues this trend.

I’ll say one other thing you for sure got going for you, I’ve learned over the last few years playing props Cooper is a totally different dude at home! That really hasn’t changed after moving from Dallas to Clev either if I remember correctly.

Agree with you on Watson, Burrow. Though I think a full-offseason for Deshaun will be valuable. Hard for him to come in late in the 2022 season and be expected to perform like he did in Houston. To me, this game comes down to the trenches as Cavs explains above.

Bengals have been slow starters early in the season under Burrow going 0-3 since 2020 in their first road game of the season. Bengals are 1-5 in their first two games since 2020 with the lone win due to a Dalvin Cook fumble late in OT versus the Vikes... Vikes were in long FG range. Burrowing missing significant camp time continues this trend.

I agree, that why I keep saying for me the browns are one the toughest teams in football to predict right now. Assuming the old Watson shows back up they just as good the other 3 teams in what could easily end up being the best division in football!

iNo argument from me that it had to be very difficult after being gone the better part of 2 seasons then jumping in while rest the league been playing for better part of 3 months! I could say something redic like he should have been going so hard with workouts. Paying college kids, Canadian football players, rugby players, anyone who could push him playing 7 on 7 or whatever. Surely there coulda been a way to maintain some semblance of the player he was! Not like he old, maybe all the pussy gave him superpowers! Or maybe he didn’t have much time to work on his game between writing hush money checks?

Pretty much agree with everything you and @VirginiaCavs have said bout this gane. There no chance I’d play cincy, didn’t Joe cool throw a bunch of picks week 1 after missing last year preseason and camp? I try not to be over reactionary over 1 or even several weeks but I’d say if browns can’t beat them now they might as well go home and cal it a season!!

I like your Raiders pick.
Too much of a QB edge to pass up the Ben Gals who cover like champs, so against you there.
Lean to the over in Tenny game

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned the Raiders game yet. Raiders look so solid? And I know we have some Raiders fans here who know their team

Back