Week 1 Thoughts and Plays

EDizzle

The Danny Snyder Fanclub
I’m going with more a matchup/statistical based analysis this season. Pretty much the same things I’ve been doing in years past. My regular season ATS record was 53%...hopefully this year I can get it above the 60% mark.

I’d like to take a look at some of these matchups and might pull some stats from this book I bought. They are performance metrics for each player who played last season so there are a lot of variables that will come into play. Still I would like to see where this can go. Regardless of that, ultimately it will be my opinion when I make a play on a game. So here are some numbers and my opinion on some of these games. Feel free to add anything.

I’m going to start with the first game of the week and then a few others that have caught my eye.

Washington +3.5 @ NY Giants

QB Jason Campbell vs. Eli Manning

Last season statistically Eli had a less than average season, but I would say the Giants QB situation is more than stable. His numbers were similar to his previous season. He had 23 TD, 20 INTS 6.4 YPA and a 3.6 SYPA (success % x YPA) He rated the 31st for QB totals for all throws short/med/long/bomb. These stats are being pulled from KC Joyner Scientific Football 08.

Jason Campell tied for 27th with 12TD 11 INTs 6.5 YPA and 3.9 SYPA. Campell ran Joe Gibbs horizontal offense last year and 60% of his throws last year were short routes, and 59% of his yardage game from these throws. That is where Jason had most of his success, as his success % drops after the short routes. This year he is adjusting to Jim Zorns offense, so time will tell how he adjusts to this.

The Giants have the advantage at QB here, they have a more stable situation around him. It will be up to Washington’s defense to force Eli into making some bad decisions.

RB Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts vs. Brandon Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw

Both of these teams have very talented backs. Clinton Portis ran for 3.9 YPA Jacobs had a little more success gaining 5.0 YPA. Both Washington and NY Giants Defenses will have to strap it up. Both will see plenty of rushing attempts.

WR

Santana Moss/Antwaan Randle El vs Aaron Ross/Corey Webster

Aaron Ross was a rookie last year and showed some good signs, but he only faced 42 passes last year so I would still say he is a green corner, we’ll see how an offseason treated him. He still gave up 8.5 YPA. Now I’m not positive on the Giants depth chart maybe some of you NY guys can help me. I don’t have any numbers on Webster, who I think is your number 2. He played ok last year, I will be keeping an eye on player performance for the future games obviously. Behind Webster you have either Dockery or Madison and they were rated in the bottom 3rd of the league.

Randel El quietly had his best season as a pro last season gaining 9.4 YPA, Santana was rated 49th with 7.8 YPA. Santana does good against the yellow/green corners(Red corners average less that 7 YPA, yellow 7-9 YPA, green 9+YPA) and the Giants do not have any red corners.

I do believe the redskins WR’s have an advantage over NY’s CB’s. And I’m sure we will see some of the rookie Devin Thomas and James Trash for sure. Washingtons sucesss in the passing game will depend on how they can handle NY Giants pass rush, more on that later.

Plaxico Burress/Amani Toomer/Steve Smith vs. Sean Springs/Fred Smoot/Carlos Rodgers

Toomer doesn’t do well when matched up against top level corners and Springs and Smoot were one of the highest rated CB tandems last season giving up 5.9 YPA. Plaxico played thru an injury the entire season and is one of the biggest mismatches in the NFL. The redskins will have their hands full with him, but it would not be out of the ordinary for them to contain Plax. I don’t have any numbers on Steve Smith and im sure he will also see some action. Rodgers looked good before he was injured last season, Redskin fans….how’s he looking this year? The redskins have a solid set of CB's and Laron Landry can make some plays. I believe their secondary has the advantage.

TE

Chris Cooley vs. Michael Johnson/James Butler

Cooley was the 11th rated TE last season, although nearly half of his attempts came when he was flexed out as a WR. I do think the giants LB’s and safeties will have trouble with him. Who knows where Kenny Philips will be used, I’m sure he will be more integrated with the defense when he gets more comfortable with it.

Kevin Boss vs. Laron Landry/Reed Doughty

Boss didn’t get much action last year, only 9 catches 118 yards, 2 of them TD’s. He did have that one big catch in the superbowl. He is not Jeremy Shockey, but he could be a good player. He is just inexperienced so I don’t have any performance metrics on him, we will see if he can endure the rigors as the full time tight end. Landry looks like he can be a special player

Advantage goes to Cooley.

Redskins OL vs. NY Defense

The redskins wont have to block 2 out of NY’s top 3 pass rushers from 1 year ago. Kiwanuka will move from his linebackers spot back to the dline joining Justin Tuck and Fred Robins. These guys are talented, and there is depth behind them. We'll see if they are up to the task.

The Redskins had a lot of injuries to their oline last season. Now I’m not sure on this but I heard Stephen Heyer is getting the start at LT and Jon Janson is moving into guard? Redskin fans help me out. Regardless the Giants Defense has the advantage at home. Washingtons offense has had some trouble protecting the QB in preseason away from home. I think NY is motivated to prove they can play without Strahan and Osi. Much like the year before when Tiki left. Nobody gave them a shot, now they are the defending champs.

Giants OL vs. Washington Defense

The Redskins lacked a pass rush last year and they did nothing in the draft to help their situation. They decided to go with 3 receivers with their first 3 picks instead of getting a pass rusher. An injury Phillip Daniels spurred them into trading for Jason Taylor. It doesn’t look like Taylor will go on Thursday. It would be a bad move for the skins to play him IMO you want him 100% for the season. The Giants are returning their line from last year. Their LT Diehl is the only shaky one in the bunch giving up 12.5 sacks last season.

I would be very impressed with the Redskins if they go up there and beat the Giants. Now if I take this game I’m taking the Giants and hope that I don’t get burnt by the hook. But if I do make a play on this I will buy it to 3 or 2.5.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of buying the book, I'm just going to look for your weekly write-up. I bought it down to -2.5 @ -145 when the line was still 3.5. It's since moved to 4 on the two books I frequent most.

Skins did nothing to impress me (and others) in the off-season, and despite the NYG roster losses, I still think they take this one 24-20 or 27-21

Steve Smith is primarily a zone buster. He just finds a hole and sits down it.

Can you explain this SPYA metric more? I've been trying to work on qb rating of my own b/c i think the current one the nfl uses is silly and qb play is the key to success in the nfl.

Dizzle

Love the W/U, and the play. Seems like the board is pretty mixed on this game.

Thanks for the responses guys. Marlo Stanfield! u a baaaad man I love The Wire.

Basically in this book KV Joyner grades out every play last season for QB, OL, WR, TE, and CB. SYPA is (Success Percentage x Yards Per Attempt.) Some sort of"metric" he has created to combine success % and YPA to "measure a player's overall effectiveness."

The success percentage is how he graded the percentage of plays where a player made a successful play with the ball. He designed this system over the years to track individual player performance in all sorts of areas...route type and depth.

I'm gonna look at a few more games now to look for some mismatches.

Jacksonville -3 @ Tennessee

David Gerrard vs Vince Young

David Gerrard was tied for 7th last season in terms of YPA at 7.7, he was incredibly efficient throwing for 18 TD to only 3 INTS. His success % was an impressive 64.4% and a 4.9 SYPA.

Vince Young was tied for 25th last season at 6.7 YPA with a 62.3 success % and only 4.2 SYPA. He only threw for 9 TD’s as opposed to 17 INTS. VY does have some intangibles though, he can scramble and he is just a winner. But so is Garrard.

The Jaguars have the advantage at QB here. I am a VY fan, but they still need to surround him with some more weapons. Garrard is very consistent and will be ready to play a pro game Sunday.

Fred Taylor/ MJD vs. Lendale White/Chris Johnson

Fred Taylor had a very solid season gaining 5.4 YPA. He is a solid player and it’s early in the season so the veteran should be fresh and ready to go. The jags have a potent 1-2 punch with Maurice Jones Drew who also had an impressive YPA at 4.6. The Jags will use plenty of MJD and he can make an impact returning kick also. They are going up against a stingy Titan defense but that huge oline will help.

The Titans RELY on their running game much more than the Jags will. Lendale White had over 300 carries last season gaining 3.7 YPA. Defenses were able to focus on the run when playing this anemic offense that only averaged 18.8 PPG last year. I’m sure the rookie from ECU will get some touches an I’m sure the Jags are aware of his speed.

The Jaguars have the advantage here

Rasheen Mathis/Drayton Florence vs Justin Gage/Justin Mccarins

Mathis is a solid #1 corner despite having a down season in his metrics. This might be understandable because he always went up against opposing teams #1 WR and didn’t get help. He gave up 7.4 YPA with a 42% success percentage. This would categorize him as a yellow corner. Where Justin Gage rates 14th among WR totals he did a lot of his damage vs non cornerbacks (nearly half of his yardage.)

Florence had some of the worst metrics among CBs giving up 10.1 YPA last season with the Chargers. We’ll see how he can handle the pressure under Greg Williams blitz heavy scheme.

Advantage goes to the Jaguars CBs.

Jerry Porter/Reggie Williams vs. Courtland Finnigan/Nick Harper

Reggie Williams was rated 23rd last season with and 8.8 YPA a 64.7 success % and a 5.7 SYPA. He had decent numbers last season. Jerry Porter is a new addiction, so I will use his numbers from Oakland. He was rated 34th gaining 8.4 YPA. He should help Gerrard with his medium-long passes.
Finnigan is rated 43rd giving up 7.4 YPA with a success percentage (SP) of only 37.9%. Harper was rated 68th giving up 8.4 YPA and a SP of 43%.

The advantage goes towards Jacksonville.

Marcedes Lewis vs. Chris Hope/Michael Griffin

Now since entering the NFL the first round pick Marcedes Lewis really hasn’t done anything statistically impressive. He is a solid blocker and he will need to if his teams wants to find success in the running game. I’m sure his game is expanding as a pro, I just want to see it before I give him the advantage in this matchup. I’m also sure he will be matched up against some of the Tenny LBs, but Tenessee should be able to contain him for the most part. Watch out for Lewis in the redzone though.

Hope rated 33 among run safeties in coverage last season giving up 9.4 YPA and a 40% SP. Hope gives up some plays, but he also makes plenty. Along with Griffen the 2nd year player out of Texas should be more comfortable after learning a new position.

Algae Crumpler vs. Brian Willams/Reggie Nelson

The Titans brought in Crump this offseason and hope that he can be as productive as he was when Ron Mexico was throwing him the ball. I’m sure VY will look his way often. At least the Titans brought in 1 new target for VY this season.

Well Last year Jacksonville played with Sammy Knight who rated in the bottom 3rd of the league among run safeties in direct coverage. So I guess the Jags are moving Brian Williams up to SS? Jags people, what the insider info on this? How’s he looking?

Reggie Nelson had a great rookie season with 20 attempts as a coverage safety in deep assist last season and he had 15 successful plays. He was targeted as a rookie and had a 75% SP. We’ll see how teams attack this jags defense in the future. I’ll say this right now I think they will finish top 5 this season.

I’ll be taking Jacksonville -3 here, probably going to buy the hook also. They are a team that a lot of people are picking to go deep in the playoffs. They will definitely compete with Indy for the division this year, I feel that they are a threat to win it this year more so than in years past. They will be playing with a heavy heart this weekend in Tennessee as their teammate got shot earlier this week. I think they get out to a hot start this year, get on it while they have short lines.

I didnt get a chance to confirm I was to busy to post it, but i definitely did buy into the giants yesterday, I got them at 4 points. I should have got it earlier, but regardless still a winner. I only played it for 1 unit.

Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams have a clear edge against Finnigan and Harper? Man, I just don't see that at all. Only if the Jags run the ball extremely well do I see this being an area where the Titans could get hurt badly.

Garrard is unlikely going to match his production from last year. One reason for his success is that nobody saw what the guy could do over a course of a season. Defensive coordinators have had a whole offseason to digest this guy's game and they will have much more sophisticated gameplans designed specifically to attack Garrard's weaknesses than they did last year. There is a reason it's taken the guy this long to find a niche somewhere.

This is why Jax is not in the same league as Indy, NE and SD IMO. Garrard isn't money in the bank to duplicate his season last year but many seem to think this is the case. Why? I have no idea.

This game is pretty simple and it comes down to one question. Can the Titans run the football? If they can't, then I don't like the Titans passing game to do anything against that secondary which will mean a loss unless there are tons of turnovers from Jax. I think the Titans will run well enough to win ugly, because the Jax front 7 isn't that great and the Titans are strong on the O-line. I'm a fan so I'm biased but I'd expect the Titans to win here and lose in Jacksonville.

Anyway GL on Sunday.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to discredit Finnigan, he is a young promising player. But Harpers metrics were below average last season. I do think that they have the advantage in this matchup with Garrard throwing him the ball.

I just found out Jerry Porter will not be playing because of a hammy injury according to rotoword so Matt COKEHEAD Jones will take his spot. He has been a very dissapointing first round pick. Northcut will be the 3rd WR.

hurting today....long night last night

I got a killer headache so a lil writeup is outta the question. I wish I had some more time this week to break down some more of these matchups. Eh well thats the way it goes. Kinda getting nervous about he Jags pick but I'm still going to roll with my initial gut feeling. I'm up a couple units from yesterday, HELL YEAH STACKS! Here are my picks for the early games, both to win 1 unit.

Jags -3 even
Stillers -6.5 -110

Go get em gents!!! And good health to all

Back