Week 1 Plays

touchdowncapper

2017 Record:
2-0 Large
2-0 Medium

Not really sure what this line does, cause I already pounded 15 through 13. 11.5 is still good though and the ML is in play.

I'm not buying this Arizona hype. Sumlin seems like a good fit and he is for Tate, but this team has some other issues. Sumlin is supposed to make them a much better team when he couldn't do the same at A&M with much better recruits and a much better DC?

Tate stormed on the scene last year against Colorado and early on teams struggled to adjust for his athleticism, speed, and playmaking ability. However, during this stretch, 4 of his 8 opponents were ranked 100 or worse defensively.

Colorado (98th in s&p D), UCLA (120th), California (79th), Washington State (29th), USC (55), Oregon State (127), Arizona State (105), Oregon (61) Purdue (35).

Zona went just 1-4 down the stretch beating only Arizona State who was in disarray. In those 4 losses, Arizona managed just 5.1, 4.1, 6.1, and 6.2 YPP.

While there is no doubt, Tate and the skill guys around him are talented, the OL has some major issues heading into this one. They have 3 starting OL out for this one and they basically return 0 career starts on the OL. "Right now we have a frosh starting at left tackle, a transfer who hasn't played in two years at left guard, a walk on at center, and the right side of the line were last years backups"

Sumlin made a mistake of not bringing in a new DC. They also have some secondary issues here with Scottie Young out and Wallace gone. They have 0 experience with depth, other than a UNLV transfer who was a back-up. I'm just not seeing a huge improvement defensively. Also, there's been lots of talk about how they're bigger on the DL, but the fans don't sound optimistic. "The DL is my next biggest concern. I keep hearing about all of the new "Beef" on the DL. The only beef I have seen is a lot of fat. Between Taufahema, Irving, and Johnson the 3 of them need to drop a combined 100 pounds."

Last year, BYU was in an impossible position to succeed. They had tons of injuries everywhere, the OC was terrible, the WR unit also came into the season losing their top 4 guys, Mangum was injured off and on, and they were down to a third string QB. They also played LSU, Utah, Wisconsin, Utah State, Boise State, and Mississippi State all in the first 7 games. Yikes. It was just impossible to win, or even look decent, but the defense held up fairly well.

The defense is bringing back basically everyone from last year and they get their #2 tackler back from 2016 who was out last year.

Mangum looks ready for his senior year. He lost a ton of weight and he has all his receivers back, plus they added Collie from Hawaii. I don't expect a great offense, but there will be a huge improvement from last year.

BYU seems as hungry as ever looking to make up for last season. With a beat up OL and an entire off-season to prepare for Tate, I look for BYU to contain this offense fairly well. There's no real reason for Arizona's defense to improve, so I don't think BYU struggles to score too much. Seems like a 31-28, 35-31 type of game.

As I said, I think the ML is in play here and this goes to the wire. Go Mormons!

BYU +11.5 LARGE

Last edited:
Good write up. I'll add one thought to the good info you gave on the Arizona D--Sumlin doesn't seem to care one way or the other about defense.

I suspect he is the exact opposite of Buddy Ryan who believed the way to get his always good defenses ready was to let them beat up on the offense all week. I think Sumlin uses the def3ense strictly as blocking dummies for the O to get their timing and confidence sharp.

I do expect Tate to prosper under Sumlin and have a great year.

Best of luck this season, TC. Great breakdown of that Cougs/Cats game. 100% agree Sumlin not bringing in a new DC was an enormous mistake and shows he’s focused on Tate and one side of the ball...and not much else IMO.

Back