Week 1 plays, leans, and more Cincinnati news

Dmoney416

Ben Mauk's Counsel
Week 1:
Straight plays:
MLs:
Total:

New season. Best of luck to all. 24 days to go.

Season plays:

Cincinnati OVER 6.5 Wins (+115) (10u to win 11.5): 1-0, W 40-7 vs. EKU
Purdue UNDER 7 Wins (-140) (1.4u to win 1): 0-0

Still considering a couple others.

Week 1 plays:

Wyoming -10 (2.2u to win 2)
NC State/South Caorlina UNDER 50 (1.65u to win 1.5)
Arkansas St. +20.5 (1.54u to win 1.4)<!-- / message -->
Wisconsin -26 (1.1u to win 1)
Virginia Tech/East Carolina UNDER 50 (1.1u to win 1)
Western Michigan +14 (1.1u to win 1)
Syracuse +11.5 (1.1u to win 1)
<!-- / message -->

Week 1 leans: (Bolded leans are stronger leans)

Idaho +27
Northern Illinois/Minnesota OVER 59

Write-ups coming soon. I'll just use this thread to edit my plays until opening day. :cheers:

Last edited:
A new dimension at running back
Posted by BKoch at 8/3/2008 6:36 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

You have to watch only a few carries by freshman running backs Isaiah Pead and Darrin Williams to see why Brian Kelly is so excited about their potential. Both backs have the quickness and speed to take a minimal gain and turn it into a big play.

If junior Jacob Ramsey and sophomore John Goebel are both upgrades from a speed standpoint over last year’s backs, Pead and Williams appear to be a little quicker than both Ramsey and Goebel.

“They can go to the second level and change what you do,” Kelly said. “If you bring pressure against us now and they hit s seam you’re going to have a hard time catching them. They give us balance in our offense that we didn’t have. We had three big, grinding kids, three great kids, but they were grinders.”

Pead, at 5-11, is a little smaller than Ramsey and Goebel and not as thick as either of them. Williams, at 5-7, is a little scooter who can get lost behind the line of scrimmage and in space.

Williams posted the third-highest rushing total in Michigan history last year when he gained 2,837 yards at Detroit Martin Luther King High School. Pead, the Ohio Division III player of the year, rushed for 2,204 yards for Columbus Eastmoor Academy.

It’s still early in camp, but it appears that both players will pressure Ramsey and Goebel for carries this fall or at the very least, will give the UC offensive coaches options they haven’t had before.

Huber punts his way up
By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • August 4, 2008

bilde

Kevin Huber

The first time Kevin Huber had the chance to be the University of Cincinnati's regular punter he wasn't ready to handle the job.

After a stellar showing during summer camp in 2005, he wrested the starting job from incumbent Chet Ervin, but in the season opener against Eastern Michigan, he averaged a humbling 29.2 yards on four punts.

The position was handed back to Ervin the next week and Huber would punt only two more times that season, in the season finale.

"I didn't know what it was going to take mentally at the college level," said Huber, who last season became just UC's third first-team All-American in history. "That was something I had to work on, just the pressure to perform. Being a walk-on, you don't have any secure position. They can bring in anybody at any time. I put so much pressure on myself to do well and I wasn't able to control it at the time."

At the end of 2006, after Mark Dantonio left for Michigan State and Brian Kelly took over as the head coach at UC, Huber got another chance.

Mike Elston was the new special teams coach under Kelly and the first time he saw Huber punt in practice as the Bearcats prepared for the International Bowl, he assumed Huber was the starter.

"I was watching these guys punt and I would not have said Kevin Huber is the backup," Elston said.

"Knowing he was an underclassman who was mechanically a little better than the starter, we gave him an opportunity in the bowl game to punt."

This time Huber was ready. He kicked twice against Western Michigan in UC's 27-24 victory and averaged 50.5 yards per kick.

It was another step on an unlikely road that took Huber from walk-on to second-string punter to Associated Press first-team All-American after leading the nation last year with a 46.9-yard average.

Even though he's involved in only a handful of plays each game, Huber, who earned a scholarship last season, has become one of the Bearcats' most valuable players.

Last year, the Big East special teams player of the year hit 27 punts for 50 yards or more, put 20 punts inside the 20-yard line and had four downed on the 1.

"He understands the importance of the punt in the flow of the game," Elston said. "He can directional punt right or left wherever we need it to go. He's got a very powerful leg. He's a weapon for our team to change field position."

For Huber, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior, kicking is in his blood. His father, Ed, punted for Xavier University. His older brother, Jeremy, punted at Mount St. Joseph for one year. His older sisters, Emily and Sarah, both played soccer in high school, with Sarah also playing at Davidson College.

Kevin was a punter and placekicker in the sixth grade and during his high school career at McNicholas, where he also played wide receiver.

"When he walked on the field, you weren't just getting a guy back there who was just punting the football," said John Rodenberg, who was then the head coach at McNicholas. "When we had the situation where we needed to fake we were confident with the ball in his hands. And he could catch the ball."

Despite being named the Greater Catholic League's punter of the year as a junior and senior, Huber didn't have many college offers. Division I-AA Wofford offered him a full scholarship and he visited a few other schools, but didn't feel comfortable at any.

He took UC coaches up on their offer of trying out as a preferred walk-on.

"When it got down to it, he said, 'I can punt in Division I and that's what I want to do,' " Ed Huber said.

Kevin Huber was redshirted as a freshman at UC and then had that brief fling with the starting job in 2005 before making such a strong impression in the International Bowl at the end of the 2006 season.

Huber attended a three-day camp last summer at Lehigh University and learned from Bill Renner, one of the game's foremost punting gurus.

"He helped me to get mentally ready," Huber said. "I asked him a lot of questions and he gave me some great punting tips that made me the punter I was last year."

Renner realized right away that Huber was a rare commodity, blessed with the ability to kick for a long distance and the work ethic to make the most of his ability.

"Talent-wise, he's as good as anybody I've had as a sophomore going into their junior year," said Renner, who has worked with more than 20 punters who have signed NFL contracts.

"He's extremely quick and very strong in the hips, similar to a baseball player with a short, powerful swing. He showed up with that. We're trying to refine it so it's consistent."

Assuming he continues on his present path, Huber seems a good bet to punt in the NFL next season. But he's not a finished product.

Huber's top priority this season is to improve the team's net punting average, even though, at 39.61, the Bearcats led the nation in that category last year.

"I had some really long punts last year," Huber said, "but there were some big returns. I want to eliminate that and have higher, maybe shorter punts that have no returns. I'd like to have my gross average and net punting average closer together."

Underwood on track to play this fall
Posted by BKoch at 8/2/2008 1:48 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Brandon Underwood, the transfer defensive back from Hamilton High School who transferred to UC from Ohio State, is on track to be academically eligible to play this fall. Brian Kelly said today that Underwood has six more academic hours he needs to complete, with the summer session ending on Aug. 7, which he doesn’t anticipate will be a problem. He’s currently the third cornerback in UC’s crowded defensive backfield.

Freshman quarterback Travis Kelce, the brother of offensive lineman Jason Kelce, will be out for two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain that will likely preclude his already slim chances of competing for the starting quarterback job this fall. He has at least two weeks before he can even begin to run.

Kelly said he probably won’t decide to redshirt any of the incoming freshmen during the preseason.

“I told all of our freshmen the days of coming out of camp and saying you’re red shirting are over because it’s such a long season now,” Kelly said. “We’re on an NFL type schedule. Those guys that I think can compete we’ll keep an eye on them and continue to develop them and if they pop four or five or six games into the season then we would play them.”

The Bearcats were expected to board a bus and head to Camp Higher Ground in West Harrison, Ind., at 2 p.m. today, where they will practice for the next two weeks. In addition to the seclusion the facility provides, it also gives the Bearcats two practice fields, something they don’t have on-campus, at least not yet.

“It’s difficult to do a lot of the things you want to do when you’re worried about running into the running backs or the linebackers,” Kelly said.

Daniels grateful for second chance
Posted by BKoch at 8/1/2008 7:27 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I talked with Alex Daniels today after his first practice with UC. He said he learned a lot from the incident at Minnesota in which he was dismissed for his alleged involvement in an on-campus incident with an 18-year-old woman.

"What haven't I learned?" Daniels said. "There's so much I could tell you that I learned. It would take us like 10 years to go on and on. But the most important thing I learned was respecting women. That's the number one thing, just respecting women."

Brian Kelly said Daniels is basically on his own to do the right things and make the most of opportunity that was given to him by UC officials, especially athletic director Mike Thomas and Kelly, who have put their names on the line for him. There will be no special surveillance of Daniels, no babysitting. If he felt that Daniels needed that kind of supervision, Kelly said, he never would have recommended letting him be part of the program.

For now, Daniels is still recovering from a torn Achilles tendon. Though he did participate in practice, he's still not 100 percent physically.

Ben Mauk was at practice and took part in individual drills, but received no team reps. Demetrius Jones is still sailing passes over receivers' heads. Be grateful that Dustin Grutza remains in the fold.

As for the italicized part, give me a break. This guy really shouldn't be on the team.

Coach Kelly's diary
Players are in top condition
By Brian Kelly • Special to the Enquirer • August 2, 2008

bilde

University of Cincinnati football coach Brian Kelly

University of Cincinnati football coach Brian Kelly is doing a daily diary for The Enquirer during the Bearcats' preseason. This installment is from Friday's practice at Nippert Stadium.

In terms of the first day, where we are compared to where we were last year, we're so much better. It's where you should be in Year 2. It's what I expect.

We're in so much better physical condition. At this time last year, we had a hot day and we had a lot of guys on the sideline, a lot of guys not making it through practice. We didn't have any of that. Marty Gilyard made it through. He was a guy who didn't make it last year. You can see we're in much better shape.

Ben Mauk did individual stuff, but we're keeping him out of all the things that are team reps. He's just staying in shape.

Of the newcomers, the two running backs, Isaiah Pead and Darrin Williams, look very quick. They have great moves and I think they can help us.

And wide receiver D.J. Woods, he's a very bright kid. He's picked up our offense quite quickly and did a nice job today. Both backs have explosion at the second level, which is what we were looking for.

Akron at Wisconsin (-26)

Last year:

Akron against BCS foes:

@Ohio St. (+29): L, 2-20 - It should be noted that Akron was +4 in the TO department. They also had 3 yards on 19 carries.

@Indiana (+13): L, 24-41 - Indiana ran for 338 yards on 49 carries.

@UConn (+15.5): L, 10-44 - UConn ran for 262 on 42 carries.

Wisconsin against MAC foes:

Northern Illinois (-23.5): W, 44-3 - Wisconsin ran 55 times for 331 yards. Northern Illy ran 18 times for -13 yards.

The Game

I really expect much of the same from the above results from last year.
I am pretty convinced that Akron may not score in this game. I am also convinved that they are the worst team in the MAC this season.

Akron had the ride their above-average MAC defense last season just to survive. It garnered them a 4-8 record, which could have easily been 3-9 without the miracle against Western Michigan. This year, almost all of the big names depart form the defense, and they are left with a deluge of newcomers and their depth is full of young, inexperienced kids gearing up for their first game.

This shouldn't be a tough situational spot for either team, as Akron follows this with a game @Syracuse while Wisconsin gets Marshall in week 2.

Akron Offense vs. Wisconsin D

Akron returns 8 to their offense. Wisconsin returns 9 to their defense.

Akron offense LY:
PPG: 21.2
Rush yards per game: 128 (3.5 ypc)
Pass yard per game: 184 (53.7% passing)

Wisconsin defense LY:
PPG: 23.2
Rush yards allowed per game: 134 (4.1 ypc)
Pass yards allowed per game: 223 (55.3%)

I'll start on the Akron offensive line, which I consider to be the strength of the team. Four starters are back, including two sophs (Mike Ward, Corey Woods) that were thrown into the fire last year and should be ready to go this season. Chris Kemme anchors the line at LT, as he secured 2nd Team MAC each of the last two years.

There is a problem, however. There is no help at QB. Or RB. Or WR. Or on the bench. Or anywhere else on campus (presumably).

QB Chris Jacquemain is the definition of mediocrity. He sort of won the QB over Carlton Jackson last year, which basically meant he could get Jabari Arthur the ball on a semi-consistent basis. Jacquemain finished last year with a ho-hum 11-10 ratio long with 1623 yards (56% comp pct).

There's another thing. WR Jabari Arthur is gone. How good was Arthur? He was basically the entire offense. Last year, he had 1171 of the team's 2206 receiving yards (53.1% of the yards). He had 86 of the 201 receptions (42.8% of the team's receptions). He also had 10 of the 15 passing TDs.

Last year's leading rusher was Bryan Williams (728 yards, 4.8 ypc). He was also the team's 2nd leading receiver with 204 yards on 22 catches. He is now, according to Steele, listed as the starting strong safety in an attempt to salvage a secondary that lost everyone.

Now the RB duties are left to Andrew Johnson, a former big time recruit that has been hampered by injuries for his entire career (most recently, an ACL). He could be effective, but it will most likely take him a couple of game to get back into the flow of things. Dennis Johnson should help out as well, but he wasn't effective last year after a solid 2006 season.

At WR, they are left with a slew of guys that caught 10-20 passes last year. According to Steele, they are also moving Andre Jones (last year's starting FS and leading returning tackler with 79) to WR to help out at that spot.

Wisconsin should be able to manhandle this offense. They retrun 8 of their top 9 tacklers.

Wisky's DL is probably pedestrian by Big 10 standards, but they should be able to handle a MAC OL. Even if they struggle a bit, you can bet that Wisky's LB core will be near the line considering that Akron has no proven QB or WR threat.

Wisconsin's returning LB trio of Casillas, Hodge, and Levy were the top three tacklers last year and combined for 233 tackles.

The secondary returns three of four, including Shane Carter who had 7 INTs last year to lead the big Ten.

Nine starters on the Wisconsin D are either Juniors or Seniors.

Wisconsin Offense vs. Akron D

Wisconsin returns 8 to their offense. Akron returns 5 to their defense.

Wisconsin Offense LY:
PPG: 29.5
Rush yards per game: 201 (4.4 ypc)
Pass yards per game: 208 (57.3%)

Akron D LY:
PPG allowed: 29.2
Rush yards allowed per game: 184 (4.5 ypc)
Pass yards allowed per game: 225 (61.3% comp pct)

Here is Wisconsin's OL vs. Akron's DL:

Wisconsin:

C: John Moffitt - 6'4'', 317
RG: Kraig Urbik - 6'6'', 328
LG: Andy Kemp - 6'6'', 316
RT: Eric Vanden Heuvel - 6'7'', 321
LT: Gabe Carimi - 6'8'', 299

Akron:

DE: Almondo Sewell - 6'2'', 260
NT: Ryan Bain - 6'2'', 305
DT: Eric Lively - 6'2'', 275

In other words, its going to get ugly.

Akron also runs a 3-3-5 defensive scheme. This may help to confuse the pass-happy teams in the MAC, but it is unlikely to help Akron contain the between-the-tackles running of PJ Hill.

Only five of Akron's top 13 tacklers return from last year, and the top tackler (Andre Jones - 79 tackles) is converting to WR.

The strength of last year's team was in the middle of the defense, and they are all gone. Their vaunted CB tandem is gone. Reggie Corner (52 tackles, 12 pass break-ups, 7 INT) is off to the NFL, and Davanzo Tate (73 tackles, 17 pass break-ups, 2 INT) also departs.

Linebackers Brion Stokes and John Mackey are also gone. Stokes (2nd Team All-MAC) led the team in tackles LY (90) and added 5.5 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss. Mackey (3rd team All-MAC) recorded 50 tackles despite playing only seven games before injury.

Wisconsin's passing game is a bit of a question, but they won't have to pass in this game. Allan Evridge is the projected QB after leaving Kansas St. He still has Travis Beckum (982 yards, 6 TDs), Kyle Jefferson (412 yards, 2 TDs), and Garrett Graham (328 yards, 4 TD) to pass to when the situation calls for it. This should be an easy start for Evridge as he goes against a depleted Akron secondary.

PJ Hill will anchor the offense at RB (1212 rushing, 5.3 ypc). Hill running along with Evridge's scrambling ability should give Akron fits. Wisconsin should have a field day.

Special Teams

This is a bit of a concern for Wisconsin, as they bring in two freshman to fill the kicker and punter spots. Philip Welch is the projected starter at kicker, and he was 17-20 inside 50 in HS last year. At punter, Brad Nortman steps in. He only averaged 39 yards per punt last year in HS, but I suspect that they won't be punting much in this game anyway.

Igor Iveljic returns at kicker for Akron. He was solid in his freshman season, converting 15 of 18 FGs. Eight of those FGs were inside 30 yards, though.

John Stec is back at punter for Akron. He was quite average last year, averaging 37.5 per punt. He should see a lot of work in this one.

Wisconsin 38
Akron 3

Be careful with taht Wisky game...I like Wisky a lot but Akron is changing a lot of things aroung right now...Esp. with Devoe and Williams both now playing...

bol

Be careful with taht Wisky game...I like Wisky a lot but Akron is changing a lot of things aroung right now...Esp. with Devoe and Williams both now playing...

bol

I don't really fear DeVoe, especially in a game like this where the entire team is overmatched. The reason I didn't include DeVoe in the write-up is because Akron seems unsure about where to put him. If you have info on where he is slated (RB? CB?) to play, please let me know.

What Williams are you referring to? The only reason I ask is that they have 3 Williams' slated to start on D, so I'm not sure who you are referring to.

Thanks YS. :shake::cheers:

i love the wisconsin writeup. Heavy lean to them as well and for many of the same reasons. A lot of naysayers are going to point to that akron game against ohio state but most will forget the horrendous weather that game was played in , as well as the turnovers that you mentioned.

We like a lot of the same stuff , so hard to not like your card from my perspective.

For freshman Woods, football easy part
By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • August 22, 2008

A lot of athletes who have experienced success in high school begin their college careers with a sense of invincibility that comes with youth.

University of Cincinnati freshman wide receiver D.J. Woods knows better.

Last fall, Woods was practicing at Strongsville (Ohio) High School when he felt his left leg suddenly go numb.

"I couldn't feel my left leg at all," Woods said. "It was like I couldn't walk. I was in extreme pain."

Woods soon would discover that his senior season was over with five games remaining after an MRI showed a blood clot along his spinal column that had to be surgically removed.

"It was scary," Woods said. "Football is a very big part of my life. It gave me a reality shot. Now I'm focused on other options instead of football, because anything can happen at any point."

As if he hadn't learned that lesson already, he had it reinforced after he arrived at UC this summer.

A routine physical revealed that he had a low platelet count, which has forced him to be held out of contact drills during training camp while doctors tried to figure out what was going on.

It was another scary time for Woods until Wednesday when the results of a bone marrow test indicated that his condition was not as serious as it could have been and that drug treatments should be able to raise his platelet count to a level that would allow him to play in the Bearcats' season opener vs. Eastern Kentucky on Thursday.

It was the news Woods had been waiting to hear.

"The past couple of weeks have been stressful," he said. "I've been carrying this to the football field, but it's all over now."

Despite his abbreviated senior season at Strongsville, Woods, who also returned kicks and played defensive back, was an Associated Press second-team all-Ohio selection in Division I.

During his high school career, he caught 153 passes for 1,797 yards and 18 touchdowns. He also returned five kickoffs and three punts for touchdowns.

Even with the limitations that have been imposed by the uncertainty over his physical condition, it took only about a week of camp for UC coach Brian Kelly to declare that Woods was good enough to play as a true freshman.

"He came here high up on the learning curve," Kelly said. "We haven't had to teach him a whole lot other than our system. He's just a naturally gifted wide receiver. He's got all the nuances and the intricacies that you would need, where with some other guys we've had to teach a lot of that stuff to them."

But because Woods was not cleared medically to participate in full contact, he has been forced to wait for the chance to display his complete range of talents.

"It's hard because I hate being on the sidelines," Woods said before he got the test results back. "I feel like I'm missing reps when I don't go full-go, but I always make sure I'm taking mental reps."

Kelly and the rest of the coaches did their best to keep Woods' spirits high as he awaited word on his immediate football future.

"It's been tough on him," Kelly said. "He's gotten a lot of help from home. He has a strong family. His mom and dad have been really good and our players have really been positive with him, to say, hey, you're a great player, your time will come. Hang in there."

Woods very much wants that time to be now. He believes that he's ready to contribute immediately.

So do his coaches.

That's what has made the past few weeks so difficult. This is a kid who surprised some people in his hometown when he passed up a chance to go to Michigan to play for Kelly in a growing program like UC's.

Now it appears that he'll get the chance to show what he can do.

"I feel like I can make a difference early in my career," Woods said. "I'm itching to be on the field."

For those on the Cincinnati season win total, Cincinnati lost OL CJ Cobb for the year, but has avoided any other serious injuries to this point in camp.

Ramsey bests Goebel in running back battle
Posted by BKoch at 8/22/2008 4:37 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

About the only news to come out of practice today was that Jacob Ramsey will start at running back against EKU over John Goebel and that's really not a surprise. Brian Kelly said the two have been very close during the training camp, but Ramsey was the starter near the end of last season and it's only logical that he would get the first shot.

The Bearcats might have to face EKU without both of their starting defensive tackles. Terrill Byrd definitely won't play. He's suspended for one game because of his marijuana citation of last winter. Adam Hoppel has been nursing a calf injury. Trainer Bob Mangine said today he would know more Monday about Hoppel's availability for EKU.

Other than that, things were quiet at Nippert Stadium today. Practice was good and the players are eager to get started. Kelly gave them the day off from practice tomorrow. The players will meet at 10 a.m at Nippert for a community service event and then will have the rest of the day to themselves. They'll return to practice Sunday.

By Monday, perhaps they'll know more about Ben Mauk. If the ruling goes against Mauk again, he could choose to wait for another appeal or he could seek additional legal action. Stay tuned.

looks real good, dmoney. can't say i'd touch cuse with a 10 ft pole though, lol. j/k

seriously, great info/thread, bro.

Thanks pags and Yanks - BOL this week.

Added:

Virginia Tech/East Carolina UNDER 50 (1.1u to win 1)
Western Michigan +14 (1.1u to win 1)

Ben Mauk is now 0-4 vs. the NCAA. Mauk learned Monday that his request for a sixth year to complete his four years of eligibility has been rejected by the NCAA for the fourth time overall and the second time in the last 17 days. The matter will now move to the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee, which rejected Mauk’s appeal on Aug. 8 without allowing him to plead his case. The Committee will re-consider Mauk’s case on Thursday afternoon, hours before the University of Cincinnati Bearcats open their 2008 season vs. Eastern Kentucky at Nippert Stadium. This time the former UC quarterback has been assured that he will get a chance to speak on his behalf, according to Kevin Murphy, Mauk’s attorney. Murphy said Monday night that Mauk appreciates the chance to plead his case before the committee and show “why we’re right.” If he gets turned down again, he will have exhausted his avenues of appeal with the NCAA. The NCAA’s previous rejections of Mauk’s request for a sixth year were based on a lack of contemporaneous documentation to support his contention that an incapacitating injury prevented him from competing during his freshman year at Wake Forest. Mauk received a temporary restraining order on Aug. 13 that prevented the NCAA from denying him the opportunity to practice and compete. Following that court action, the NCAA agreed last week to re-hear Mauk’s case. By last Friday, Murphy has submitted new information regarding Mauk’s situation for the NCAA to consider. Mauk has not practiced with UC since the Aug. 8 ruling. UC coach Brian Kelly said he feared that if he let Mauk practice and the NCAA ruled against Mauk again the Bearcats could be forced to forfeit their games and any bowl money they might earn. Because UC was not named in the court order, which was issued in Hardin County (Ohio), Kelly and the school were not bound by it. When the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee ruled against Mauk the last time it reached the same conclusion the NCAA staff reached in its original ruling. The committee said it based its decision upon case precedent, saying there was not sufficient medical documentation or any other objective supporting information to substantiate the claim that Mauk missed the 2003 season at Wake Forest due to an incapacitating injury. Mauk, who enrolled at UC as a graduate student in 2007 after earning his undergraduate degree at Wake Forest, had hoped to have two more years or eligibility remaining. But the NCAA, which allows five years to complete four years of eligibility, ruled that Mauk had exhausted his eligibility and would not grant him a sixth year, despite a season-ending injury in the season-opener in 2006. The NCAA ruled initially that Mauk’s decision to redshirt as a freshman at Wake in 2003 was, in effect, his choice and therefore he could not be granted the sixth year. Mauk and UC contended that he did not play that year because of the effects of an injury he had suffered before arriving at Wake Forest. But Wake Forest officials were unable to provide documentation to support that claim. Mauk contends that he’s being penalized because Wake Forest did not maintain proper documentation, which is something over which he had no control. Mauk passed for 3,121 yards and a school-record 31 touchdowns last year in leading the Bearcats to a 10-3 record and No. 17 ranking in the final Associated Press poll.

Per Bill Koch's Blog

Thank God this will be over on Thursday.

<!-- start: postbit_signature -->

Hey Dmoney. Great thread as always. Sorry about mauk. Wanted to share with you some of the reasons that i had to lay off that uab game. Basically i see a lot of unknowns with these guys and and the unknowns have gotten not only worse but more frequent. For those of you that are looking at your phil steele , there are a lot of changes from what was printed there. First major change is that Jim Mitchell will be the starting RB and Johns will see action but wont be the starter. I don't think steele had mitchell on his three deep. Starting left tackle McCants had academic issues and will not be playing. But most glaring is what has happened to the blazers at linebacker. Mike Taschman who started 10 at linebacker for them last year also had academic issues and wont be playing. His listed backup was Roget and that guy is redshirting now because he is getting a hip fixed up this year. And between roulach , speights and quayles they lose even more of their two deep for the front seven. Not that these are all great losses or anything but UAB isn't exactly the program to handle losses like these. That is a ton to replace in the front seven for any school.

Like you i am down on Tulsa this year and think we find some good spots to go against them ... but when you play tulsa ..you have to play a lot of plays and depth becomes an issue and i just don't see that here with uab anymore. Still prefer the uab side myself at 14.5 but wanted to share why i bailed on that game after we had discussed it some in the offseason.

gl man

Thanks Hunt - BOL this season.

Thanks VK - no big deal about the Mauk situation. I greatly appreciate what he did last season, but that soap opera has become exhausting over the past couple of weeks.

Big thanks on the UAB info, as I wasn't aware of some of this. This will likely be enough to eliminate them from consideration.

I'll write-up some of these Saturday match-ups soon, I just want to finalize my card before doing so.

Added:

Syracuse +11.5 (1.1u to win 1)

Write-up coming on the Cuse game.

Also, for those betting the Arky St./A&M tilt, Jorvorskie Lane is listed as questionable now. Some local reporters have actually speculated that he is unlikely to play.

Syracuse (+11.5) at Northwestern

I understand all of the gripes against Syracuse. Bad coaching. Horrendous OL and DL play. No defense. All valid, but I think things change a little bit this year.

Players likely out for this game:

Syracuse:

WR Mike Williams - 837 yards, 10 TD LY.
DE Brandon Gilbeaux - 49 tackles LY

Northwestern:

DT John Gill - 50 tackles, 4 sacks LY
WR Jeff Yarbrough - 188 yards, 2 TD LY
WR Drake Dunsmore - 141 yards LY

Aside from NW's history as a poor favorite, I simply think that NW advantages in this game are not a big as perceived (and sometimes, non-existant).

First, I prefer Robinson to Bacher. I know that Bacher led Big 10 QBs in all-purpose yardage last year, but he was too prone to mistakes and they often came at the worst times. 19 INTs in 12 games is way too much for me, and he'll have to show improvement in that area before I bet on him.
On the other hand, Robinson had to operate within an offense that couldn't run. Because of this, he withstood 54 sacks and had to throw into defenses that knew what was coming the majority of the time.

Syracuse Offense vs. NW Defense

Robinson will have help this year. A whole stable of RBs return as Syracuse hopes to develop into an offense that accentuates the running game. Last year, injuries forced FB Doug Hogue and a litter of others into the starting role, which obviously did not work. Returning to help Robinson will be Delone Carter (injured LY, 713 yards (4.6 avg) in 2006), Curtis Brinkley, and highly touted freshman Averin Collier.

The WR cupboard is bare with the departure of Williams, but hopefully the running game will be enough to sustain the offense while the newcomers get in sync with the offense. I expect this OL to improve now that they can concentrate on run blocking.

This is where the loss of John Gill could be felt for Northwestern. The DL wasn't great against the run last year (4.4 ypc), and they were pounded by almost any team with a pulse (not that Syracuse has one). Now, they lose Gill, who is arguably their most effective lineman along with DE Corey Wootton.

This defense does return 8 starters, but they lose a bunch of the impact guys. Adam Kadela (125 tackles), Reggie McPherson (78), and Deante Battle (64) are gone. Throw in the loss of Gill, and four of the top six tacklers are gone from a team that gave up 31 ppg, 4.4 ypc, and 243 passing yards per game.

Northwestern Offense vs. Syracuse Defense

Well, Syracuse defense was far worse last year, as they gave up nearly 35 ppg along with a 4.8 ypc and 261 passing per game. Some of this bet is based on them improving on these stats significantly.

Northwestern will get a big boost when Tyrell Sutton comes back into the fold for this game. However, I feel that one of the overlooked weaknesses of this NW team is their OL.

With a veteran OL last year, they gave up 32 sacks and only averaged 3.6 ypc (granted, some of this is caused by Bacher's 0.4 avg on 86 carries). Still, they didn't have a particularly great year. Now, they have to replace three starters, and only one of the projected starters (according to Steele) weighs in a 300 pounds. This doesn't seem like a recipe ofr success for Sutton.

NW does have a solid stable of WRs returning in Peterman, Lane, Ward, and Brewer (a speedster that was out all of last year). The key to the game will be how the Cuse defense can handle this stable of WRs.

Syracuse loses sack man Jameel McClain and leading tackler Joe Fields, but they return the majority of their young defense along with much of their depth. I am actually confident that LB Jake Flaherty (95 tackles LY)along with DT Arthur Jones (16.5 tfl last year) will be able to contain the Sutton and his smallish OL.

The key here lies in Bacher and his WRs against the developing secondary of Syracuse.

Special Teams

Prefer Syracuse's guys here. They return punter Rob Long (2nd Team All-BE) who boasted a 41.9 ypp average last year. Patrick Shadle is a dependable kicker. While he only hit 10-14 last year, he was 6-8 from 40+ and was 16-18 back in 2006.

Punter Stefan Demos was quite solid LY with a 36.8 net (2nd in the Big 10), but K Amado Villarreal has proven inconsistent at best. He was 12-18 LY, and while he was 3-4 from 40+, he was just 1-5 on FGs ranging from 30-39.

Bottom line is that Syracuse has nowhere to go but up in several categories: OL, DL, RB, and I think the returning players show that there will be an improvement in these areas (particularly given that many freshman were forced to see time last year).

On the other hand, I see NW's OL and DL as weak at this point, and I think the weaknesses there will not only hurt Sutton's chances to break out, but they will also hurt the pressure they can put on Syracuse, especially given the more balanced look that they will give the Wildcats.

The concern is the spread attack against the Cuse secondary, but until Bacher shows more consistency, I have to back the Orange here.

Northwestern 27
Syracuse 21

Back