Week # 1 Observations

TheDailyEdge

Pretty much a regular
Based on all the games I watched this weekend, here are some of my observations & thoughts. Would be interested in hearing everyone else's.

Stanford at Northwestern – I don’t see any point in continuing to talk about David Shaw’s conservative offensive approach, we’ve covered that ad nauseum. So let’s move on from that subject. The one big thing that stood out to me in this one was Northwestern’s domination in the trenches. As I mentioned to GS & Sabert, they out-Stanforded Stanford. The Wildcats had to be the best running dog of the day, out rushing the Cardinal 225 to 85.

Quarterback Play – Of the games I watched, three new QB’s stood out to me. The “Rosen One” at UCLA was phenomenal in his debut against what is usually a pretty solid UVA D. He was 28 of 35 for 351 yards — I believe all true freshman school records — 3 TDs & no ints.

Malik Zaire against the Texas D. He looked awesome and/or the Texas defense was horrible. I was concentrating on the ASU game, but every time I looked over to the ND/Texas game, the Irish were moving the ball at will. Zaire looked really sharp, as his stats will attest to, 19-22-0 for 313 yards and 3 TDs.

Jake Coker of Alabama looked poised and in control of the Alabama offense. He missed a few deep balls, but all in all he had a solid “game management” type of debut. I can definitely see the Alabama offense playing well enough to complement their usual outstanding defense. The Tide completely dominated Wisky in the trenches, as was expected, out rushing the Badgers 238 to 40.

BYU at Nebraska – Since we made the Cougars +6.5 a BEST BET on the site I watched this entire game. It was a really competitive game, with momentum shifting back and forth. BYU ended up being the running dog, out rushing Nebraska 132 to 126, and overall they outgained the Cornhuskers 511 to 445, which was more or less that Hail Joseph Smith pass at the end of the game. Tommy Armstrong passed the ball a lot better than I thought he would in Riley’s offensive system, and of course the BYU true frosh QB Magnum had absolutely no problems replacing Taysom Hill and performing exceptionally well in front of a Sea of Red Nebraska fans.

Stanford, Penn State & Texas – WOW! Who was more pathetic? All three teams still seem to have serious offensive issues. I still believe Stanford’s offense has the most potential of these three. Despite getting beaten all day by Northwestern’s DL, the Stanford OL has a lot of talent and Hogan is a solid QB. I do not believe we can say that about Penn State and Texas.

We all obviously overestimated the improvement the Penn State OL would make. They were a joke, as was Christian Hackenberg. I keep reading that this guy is a top 5 pick, but the next good game I see him play will be the first for me.

Swoopes and Texas? Every time I looked over he seemed to be running for his life. The Irish completely dominated the point of attack on both sides, out rushing Texas 214 to 60 and 4 sacks to UT’s 1.

Purdue at Marshall – I bring this game to your attention because it is one of those rare games in which the running dog does not cover. The Boilermakers out rushed Marshall 184 to 163, and more or less dominated the game, out gaining the Thundering Herd 454 to 397. The difference in this one was of course Appleby’s two pick sixes to start and end the game. Purdue was covering the entire game until that final pick six.

Arizona State – I would be remiss if I didn’t give you my quick thoughts on my Devils. I thought the D played really well and the final score was not indicative of their performance. Seventeen of Texas A & M’s 38 points were the result of ASU turnovers (setting up 2 short fields for 10 points) & special teams (7 points on the punt return). Seven more were the result of one big play (admittedly some poor ASU tackling).

But the offense and special teams were terrible. The ASU OL had no answer for Myles Garrett and as I have mentioned on the podcast on several occasions, replacing Jalen Strong was going to be an issue.

I think if we have learned anything, it's that Todd Graham has no idea how to coach :)

Some good thoughts overall. Obviously Marshall ended up paying off due the 2 pick 6's. Will be interesting to see if Birdsong develops a bit more, he was throwing some pretty risky passes yesterday that should have been picked.

I think one of the problems for ASU was that the receivers just kept dropping the ball. It happened a ton in that game. Not only did this cost them field position, it cost them time of possession, it cost them the ability to get into an offensive rhythm, it cost them scoring possibilities and it kept the fatties on the TAMU DL fresh all game and they were giving the ASU oline a hard time.
Thought the QB made a few bad reads on the read option, and at least one of the drops was because he threw the ball harder than he should have. Team was just "off" for some reason. (Normally might think it was bad Houston Breakfast burritos but you can get those in Arizona too). With that said, TAMU was clearly the superior team that night even if the final score was deceiving.

Several of the drops were just mind blowing. Simple dump offs, just a lack of focus.

I think if we have learned anything, it's that Todd Graham has no idea how to coach :)

Some good thoughts overall. Obviously Marshall ended up paying off due the 2 pick 6's. Will be interesting to see if Birdsong develops a bit more, he was throwing some pretty risky passes yesterday that should have been picked.

I don't personally like the guy, but I can't complain about back-to-back 10 win seasons. Of course now that UCLA looks loaded and USC is off probation and getting back to full strength, his coaching skills will certainly be challenged.

I think one of the problems for ASU was that the receivers just kept dropping the ball. It happened a ton in that game. Not only did this cost them field position, it cost them time of possession, it cost them the ability to get into an offensive rhythm, it cost them scoring possibilities and it kept the fatties on the TAMU DL fresh all game and they were giving the ASU oline a hard time.
Thought the QB made a few bad reads on the read option, and at least one of the drops was because he threw the ball harder than he should have. Team was just "off" for some reason. (Normally might think it was bad Houston Breakfast burritos but you can get those in Arizona too). With that said, TAMU was clearly the superior team that night even if the final score was deceiving.

Completely agree. Bercovici was putting a lot of zip on some of those short passes and the bad read I definitely remember was the one late in the 4th quarter where they settled for that FG (making it 24-17). Had he kept that ball he walks into the end zone.

Completely agree. Bercovici was putting a lot of zip on some of those short passes and the bad read I definitely remember was the one late in the 4th quarter where they settled for that FG (making it 24-17). Had he kept that ball he walks into the end zone.

That read was brutal and ultimately ended the game

Well played sir...my memory is a little hazy from the 12-pack of Stella, but I think they scored the majority of their points off TOs.

Well played sir...my memory is a little hazy from the 12-pack of Stella, but I think they scored the majority of their points off TOs.

Their first TD drive started at the A & M 4 yard line off a turnover (fumble recovery). Their other two scoring drives were 75 & 70 yards, but as I recall they did have a few other opportunities to score on shorter fields (via turnover) that they were unable to take advantage of.

Wait a minute... Marshall was up 17-7 in the first quarter.... um, nah, sorry, i'll stop now.

I lose so many of those like that, I'm certainly not going to give back a wrong-side winner.

I think the most important thing is not the observations in regards to how we react to Week 1 but what do to in regards to the Week 2 numbers

:shake:

Before the tOSU/VT game, all I heard was that VT's defense was one of the best in the nation. Again they may be better than LY, but before grading defenses we must consider how they played against above average teams.

VT Offense: Except for 10 points off Buckeye turnovers they likely would have managed 7 points in the first half.

Defense: Where they were supposed to be great on defense, (FRONT 7) they were out-gained by 252 yds. In the ground game where you have to be dominant, they allowed 360 yds. Hardly good enough to be considered a top rated defense.

Their stats will improve again when play average teams like they played LY.

I do believe that Ohio State's local will be their own worst enemies. They can't buy into the pom pom waivers too much thinking they are god's gift to college football. I'm not sure hearing all the media saying how incredible they are, I heard the term best ever on twitter last night in terms of wide receiving core. If they don't get up for games, they can be beat.

the texas o line is gonna continue to struggle if watson is allowed to call a 3 wr go route on 3rd and 3.

this OL will continue to get exposed unless the play calling dramatically changes, or heard is in at qb.

same goes for the defense. too young to be left on the field that long, fire watson.

I do believe that Ohio State's local will be their own worst enemies. They can't buy into the pom pom waivers too much thinking they are god's gift to college football. I'm not sure hearing all the media saying how incredible they are, I heard the term best ever on twitter last night in terms of wide receiving core. If they don't get up for games, they can be beat.

The stallion Miller WR/RB/QB is going to be unstoppable. He has speed that even a radar detector can't see.

The stallion Miller WR/RB/QB is going to be unstoppable. He has speed that even a radar detector can't see.

He was easily the best player on the field last night in my eyes. I'm not sold on him being a great down field WR, but as long as they get him touches around the line of scrimmage, he'll be an absolute game breaker on a consistent basis

He will be less effective taking snaps at QB going forward, since everyone will know he is not healthy enough to throw the ball. Based on his actions last night when he lined up at QB, I do not believe his shoulder will allow him to throw the ball down the field or even put anything on a short pass. When he lined up at QB he did not even look down the field to act like he may pass the ball. His eyes and head were down looking at the blocking up front. He just took the snap, waited a second, and ran. That will work against most of the Big 10 defenses, but the better ones will stack the box to stop his run. He may be able to lob a screen pass, but that would be a risky throw. He looked great running and catching the ball though.

"Of the games I watched, three new QB’s stood out to me. The “Rosen One” at UCLA was phenomenal in his debut against what is usually a pretty solid UVA D. He was 28 of 35 for 351 yards — I believe all true freshman school records — 3 TDs & no ints."

This!

They really did a decent job of keeping this kid under the radar in the off season at UCLA. Mora has known for a long time what a gem he has in this kid. Remember the name Rosen, I think we are going to be hearing it for a long long time. I saw him dropping NFL style throws all over the field in just his first start. All he really had to do was go out and not mess up for a team full of veteran talent. Instead he was the star of that team.

the texas o line is gonna continue to struggle if watson is allowed to call a 3 wr go route on 3rd and 3.

this OL will continue to get exposed unless the play calling dramatically changes, or heard is in at qb.

same goes for the defense. too young to be left on the field that long, fire watson.

I find it hard to believe that Heard won't get the start this weekend. As you note, Swoopes' lack of mobility just puts that much more pressure on the o-line. The heat on Strong is getting pretty bad and he has to acknowledge that Swoopes isn't a D-1 QB. Well, I guess he has to acknowledge it. O/U on the remaining # of games Watson coaches before he is let go: 5.

He will be less effective taking snaps at QB going forward, since everyone will know he is not healthy enough to throw the ball. Based on his actions last night when he lined up at QB, I do not believe his shoulder will allow him to throw the ball down the field or even put anything on a short pass. When he lined up at QB he did not even look down the field to act like he may pass the ball. His eyes and head were down looking at the blocking up front. He just took the snap, waited a second, and ran. That will work against most of the Big 10 defenses, but the better ones will stack the box to stop his run. He may be able to lob a screen pass, but that would be a risky throw. He looked great running and catching the ball though.

What you don't know right now (or the public in general) is that the kid (Miller) is the fastest player on the team. Remember that when betting against the Buckeyes when playing a good team with reasonable point spreads. He will be the difference in close games.

As far as passing, Meyer will use him only as a situation player to set up the game-changer play.

If he gets behind the defense he's GONE for a TD.

Rumor i've heard from Buckeye camp is that his arm is actually fine to pass, but the have 2 other guys that are very capable to do it. I'm sure we see him do a Tebow like run-dive fake and launch a deep ball to someone wide open. The team has so many weapons, and they're about to get 4 more back. Scary.

I remember when florida has Jeff Demps with urban meyer and he still managed not to be as great as the flashes of greatness he occasionally showed. Same type of utilization.

I thought Texas A&M was impressive. The pass rush is legit with a Clowney-clone, Garrett. The offense may have the most speed in the SEC. Always liked Sumlin as coach. He's implementing some Chip Kelly sports science. Very interesting stuff.

Last edited:
"Of the games I watched, three new QB’s stood out to me. The “Rosen One” at UCLA was phenomenal in his debut against what is usually a pretty solid UVA D. He was 28 of 35 for 351 yards — I believe all true freshman school records — 3 TDs & no ints."

This!

They really did a decent job of keeping this kid under the radar in the off season at UCLA. Mora has known for a long time what a gem he has in this kid. Remember the name Rosen, I think we are going to be hearing it for a long long time. I saw him dropping NFL style throws all over the field in just his first start. All he really had to do was go out and not mess up for a team full of veteran talent. Instead he was the star of that team.

Be careful later in the year though, when the freshman fatigue catches up with him

I thought Texas A&M was impressive. The pass rush is legit with a Clowney-clown, Garrett. The offense may have the most speed in the SEC. Always liked Sumlin as coach. He's implementing some Chip Kelly sports science. Very interesting stuff.

I’m very high on A&M this season, but I do remember their opening game last season and the 5-0 start.

I find it hard to believe that Heard won't get the start this weekend. As you note, Swoopes' lack of mobility just puts that much more pressure on the o-line. The heat on Strong is getting pretty bad and he has to acknowledge that Swoopes isn't a D-1 QB. Well, I guess he has to acknowledge it. O/U on the remaining # of games Watson coaches before he is let go: 5.

Check that Over on Watson... actually turned out less than one game. Been demoted to QB coach from OC. WR coach Jay Norvell taking over play calling.

Great thread. Can I get some thoughts on how Maryland looked?

How good will their offense be and do you see them scoring 40 vs BG?

I thought Texas A&M was impressive. The pass rush is legit with a Clowney-clone, Garrett. The offense may have the most speed in the SEC. Always liked Sumlin as coach. He's implementing some Chip Kelly sports science. Very interesting stuff.

let us wait until after this weekend...

Great thread. Can I get some thoughts on how Maryland looked?

How good will their offense be and do you see them scoring 40 vs BG?

I did not watch the Maryland game, but the guy who writes our weekly Big Ten Free picks had this to say about BG/Maryland -- he's not really a handicapper per se, just knows a lot about Big Ten football. Based on his comment about Likely's Big Ten record for punt return yards, without that, it sounds like Maryland's offense struggled and scoring 40 does not seem "Likely" (HA! HA!).

Bowling Green (+7.5) at Maryland – Noon on BTN

There are two favorites that I think could be in some trouble on Saturday. The Indiana Hoosiers are 7-point favorites against Florida International after squeaking by Southern Illinois on Saturday and the Maryland Terrapins are 7.5 point favorites against the explosive Bowling Green Falcons. I chose to put Maryland on upset alert because IU welcomes back a handful of impact defensive players from suspension that could make a difference (but you’ve been warned Hoosiers!).

The Maryland Terrapins dispatched of Richmond in Week 1 but questions about the passing game linger after Perry Hills threw for only 138 yards and no receiver had more than 37 yards. The Terrapins got a B1G record 233 punt return yards from William Likely to help spark their victory, a feat not likely to be repeated against an FBS opponent. While I do have concerns about the Falcons rush defense (Tennessee had 399 rushing yards), I was impressed by the Bowling Green offense and the ability of quarterback Matt Johnson. Johnson threw for 424 yards and two scores as Bowling Green put up 557 yards of offense in Knoxville. I expect Maryland to eventually win a very close game but I think there’s good value on the underdog Falcons and seeing them win on Saturday wouldn’t be a shock.

Last edited:
Back