Week 1 lookaheads/sandwiches/scheduleissues

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Each week I plan on making a post of games that I believe have look ahead, sandwich or unique scheduling situations. I will list them witha blurb and you can assess whatever value you want to the situation. Here is my list for week 1, which obviously wont include a sandwich game. I am only including games where I expect there to be a line.

1. LSU at Mississippi State - This is the most obvious look ahead in week 1 as the tigers face virginia tech at home in week 2, in what has probably been the most hyped game of the entire offseason. It will be hard for lsu to get up for a team that they have beaten by 30 or more the last four years. It is an sec night road game.

2. Houston at Oregon - The ducks go to michigan in week 2 and are likely to take the cougars a bit lightly. There isn't a great deal of difference in talent between these two teams and oregon should be favored by quite a few.

3. East Carolina at Virginia Tech - Again, Tech goes to lsu in week 2 in the most hyped game of the offseason. However, given the offseason tragedy and the way that community will turn out for that game , it is hard to see the hokies unprepared or uninspired for this one.

4. Marshall at Miami (fl) - Miami travels to oklahoma in week 2 and marshall shouldn't inspire a team that seems unable to play with any passion the last few years anyways. Might have to consider fact that new coaching may inspire them to prove themselves in week 1.

5. Purdue at Toledo - It isn't often that a dog might have a look ahead situation but it may apply here. It is certainly worth examining. Toledo travels to central michigan in week 2 in what is a HUGE conference contest for the mac west title. This is a sneaky spot for toledo so be careful with this home dog that looks a bit live on paper. may want to look at c mich at kansas game for the same reason.

6. TCU at Baylor - TCU has a lot of expectations for this year and there is no way, No Way , that they can't be looking ahead to The longhorns in austin week 2. I figure this means baylor will get 7 first downs instead of 5 but it has to be atleast considered anyways.

7. wake forest at boston college - I highly doubt that BC will look past wake after the season the deacons had last year but they might look ahead a bit to the game at home to nc state the following week. old coach o brien coaches the pack now and the players are going to be thinking of beating that team in week 2. Again , not sure a ACC team could be capable of looking past wake after last year but it has to be considered when betting.

8. arkansas state at texas - texas host the horned frogs in week 2 and arkansas state can't strike fear into them. Texas has a history of making the alum happy ( more covers equals better boosting) in these mismatches, but again , it has to be considered.

9. UCLA at stanford - Ucla put a whooping on stanford last year and have a tough game at home to BYU in week 2.

10. Central Florida at NC STATE - not much of a look ahead here for nc state but figured i had to mention it since i mentioned the bc game. unlikely that nc state players care as much about the week 2 game as the eagles do but the coach might.

11. troy at arkansas -- arkansas has a big game with alabama and saban two weeks after this game. the two teams had an epic overtime game last year. With two weeks to prepare however and a rollercoaster offseason , i think arkansas should come ready to play here. Another interesting aspect to this is that troy plays defending national champ florida in week 2. Small schools often look ahead to showcase games like that so be careful thinking they are completely focused either.

12. tulsa at ulm -- new coach so i expect them to be psychologically ready but they do have games against byu and oklahoma in the following weeks and can't get too scared of ulm. careful tulsa , be afraid ... be very afraid.

13. Army vs Akron (in state of ohio somewhere) - akron plays ohio state in week 2 , they will be looking ahead to that game. guaranteed look ahead here. akron will be looking ahead to ohio state. akron will be looking ahead to ohio state. wont be suprised if army gets an outright win. did i mention tht akron will be looking ahead to ohio state ?

14. Navy at temple - hard to not look past temple and navy goes to rutgers in week 2. It was at rutgers last year when navy qb got hurt and this years starter was thrust into play. (i wont try to spell his name here but you know who i am talking about). he was humiliated in that performance but improved greatly the rest of the way. He will want to show rutgers something. in any event, i see a small look ahead here if navy is capable of looking ahead.

anyways, take this for what it's worth.... a small factor in determining your lines for these affairs ( or no factor at all in some cases). If i missed any feel free to add them.

Cannot believe I missed this thread. A key component in capping no doubt.

last year RJ and myself....STACKS too would have a thread say on Friday of wek one looking ahead to wek 3. A two wek advance look to further week 2's capping.

Good work kyle

Purdue-Toledo

Tom Assmunch stresses Conference play over OOC each year. So your analysis may be spot on.

florida international at penn state -- penn state hosts notre dame after this one, which has to be a look ahead for the nittany lions. how vanilla will they go in this uncompetitive matchup ?

you nailed it with LSU possibly looking past MSU, but I think LSU covers -- like I said in another thread, this is the same Miss St team that lost in Starkville in the season opener last season. If an '06 Spurrier crew won 15-0, imagine what a loaded LSU team can do.

GL this season, your threads are a great read...

IMO lookaheads do not occur in week 1 as the team has to g full board to get used to game speed. overall talent 99% of the time shines through and gtakes down mismatches as we see they should i.e LSU/MissSt. we think blowout we get blowout in my mind. this agains will be helpful as BAR said for week 2 on. not knocking ya just my two cents on week 1 is all. good work keep it up guys

i never take a differing view as a knock. I think large favorites tend to cover more in week1 than from that point forward which gives credence to what you are saying. However when dealing with humans, I think there are look aheads... just human nature. May not be as much of one as midseason but it has to be there. As i say at the bottom..............

anyways, take this for what it's worth.... a small factor in determining your lines for these affairs ( or no factor at all in some cases). If i missed any feel free to add them.

Great shit and very useful...please continue this thread each week as it's very important to capping college ball..

Doesn't acct for any of the three things in the thread title, but tOSU plays YSU in week 1 and don't overlook Tressel's YSU background here..

Look at first half on Cincy game last year and you can get an idea of how Tressel treats old schools/coaches/ties...

I wouldn't lay a big number here..

Agree with Jumps last post.

I do think you can look at Week 2 big games and look for some teams to be vanilla as you said Kyle in Week 1. UM did that last year vs Vandy before the ND game then opened it up. I remember another team doing something similar as well.

yes and i agree with the tressel take. it also comes into play sometimes when a coach faces a former assistant and should crush that program. they usually wont run it up ona former assistant now head coach.

good thread...one would think lookaheads would be a little less evident at the beginning of the year, more so than the middle or end of the year...still good info. to have anyway...

Back