Week 1 Blitz

BlitzBandit

Friend of CTG
WAS @ NYG -3.5

2 units

Before I officially get started, let me make one thing clear… and I‘ll say it in Spartan... I bleed Big Blue! (Harooh! Harooh! Harooh!). So with that said, let’s move on to my thoughts on this one, shall we?… hehe.

First off, let’s get to the line. A 3.5 pt spread may seem low for a defending Super Bowl Champion to be favored by against a Washington team that is projected to have troubles reaching .500 this season… but let’s keep in mind all the key losses the Giants have faced. Jeremy Shockey, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Gibril Wilson, Kawika Mitchell, and Reggie Torbor were all crucial to the success of the defense last season. With all of them out of the picture, it only makes sense to expect trouble and struggle for the Giants. But I don’t quite see things that way (and not because I’m biased or anything). Jerry Reese has always been about drafting and acquiring players that are hardworking blue collar players that fit his system and his needs. And right now, everyone replacing those players that have been lost are just as capable of producing similar stats. Justin Tuck is a beast. There’s no denying that. He was a probowl candidate and a SuperBowl MVP candidate and he had more sacks than Strahan did last season. Kiwi has been moved back to his natural position where he played all college and previously with the Giants before being moved to linebacker last year. His 2 sacks in his one preseason game last week shows he’s ready.

As for the skins, going back to the first matchup last season, everyone seemed to write it into the books how the Giants pulled off a great goalline stand to clinch the victory (24-17) and turn the season in the right direction. The thing is, there were three crucial plays that gave Washington all their points in that game. The first was an Eli fumble in his own 20 that gave the ball to the Redskins at the five yard line in the first quarter… the second was a long ball from Campbell at his own 30 that Moss caught at the 10 yard line after getting behind double coverage thanks to the safety not getting there quick enough. But oh yea, that was Gibril Wilson.. We don’t have him anymore.. ;) Then right before half time, Eli, from his own 20 again, throws an interception and gives the ball to the Skins at the 40 in Giants territory.. That led to the field goal and and the last of the Redskin scores. Jason Campbell completed less than half his passes and passed for under 200 yards and Portis and Betts combined for 69 yards on 21 carries.

The second game, it was Collins who played and not Campbell. He only completed 8 out of 25 attempts, but the bad news was most were long balls. He averaged over 20 yards per pass that game. What was the main difference from the first game was that Portis had a big game and ran for over 120 yards. I also have to note that Osi was out that game (just like he is in this one), but the blame wasn’t on Tuck. He had 7 tackles and a sack that game.

Looking at both games though, I gotta say it comes down to mistakes for the Giants. As long as they concentrate on being error-free and not giving the ball away in their own territory for gimme tds, they should be able to handle this Washington team without too much hassle.

I don’t think it relies as much on the running game for the Giants in this one… it is going to come down to Eli and the passing game and whether they can handle the pressure offensively. If they can, which I think they will, the rest will take care of itself.

I'll be expecting the Giants to bring the heat and put pressure all game long...

Spags' philosophy for this game…

http://<OBJECT height=344 width=425>
&ampampnbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHxIssSROjk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

I enjoyed the great w/u, and this makes me feel great about my pick

The whole 7-1 ATS the last 8 years for Super Bowl champs sits nice as well.

:cheers:

Great writeup Blitz. We share a lot of the same thoughts about the G-men tomorrow. I'll be on them as well.

GL this year.

Satyr... thanks bro... and gl this week

Bailey... good luck to us both bud

Shark... don't do it shark.. don't piss me off.. hehe.

NYG25... it's almost Big Blue time.. hehe

Cap... thanks bud.. and gl as well

Eli is still going to be Eli this year... and one thing about Eli is he 'brings it' in opening games... he had 2 tds against Arizona in 05' when the Giants won 42-19, he had 2 tds against his brothers' Colts in the Manning Showdown in 06' when the Giants lost in a 26-21 game and he had 4 tds and over 300 yards against the Cowboys last year in the opener in a 45-35 loss

The last 3 seasons with Manning at the helm, the Giants scored 42 pts, 21 pts, and 35 pts respectively... Washington, on the other hand, scored 9 pts in 05' (against Chicago), 16 pts in 06' (against Minny), and 16 pts last year (against the 1-15 Dolphins)...

one team who has been over 20 pts in every opening game the last three years against a team that hasn't reached 20 pts in any of the opening games the last 3 years... in fact, Washington hasn't been over 20 pts in an opening game since 2002... you gotta like those odds.

I think this may be a little of a homer pick, however I can see where logically this is a silid play, soley based on what you have posted.

Like you said Eli will be Eli. He will be inconsistent and may turn the ball over once or twice. But more then that I believe the losses the the NY defense are more severe than anyone has realized. Why are the NY superbowl giants only giving 3.5 points one would ask? So on a neautral field Washington is just as good? Thats what the books are telling us, even with a horrible preseason and J Taylor sitting on the bench.

I just think the Giants perform better on the road, I think they get nervous in front of their own fans and ultimately play better as the underdog. We have seen them flop in situations like this before, and I think we see it again tonight.

Clinton Portis is healthy and the NY D-line is half of what it once was. I think the better athletes are on Washington's sqaud and they prove it tonight with a win.

GL Blitz.

Satyr... thanks bro... and gl this week

Bailey... good luck to us both bud

Shark... don't do it shark.. don't piss me off.. hehe.

NYG25... it's almost Big Blue time.. hehe

Cap... thanks bud.. and gl as well

Not touching it buddy. I hope you nail it. :shake:

Like you said Eli will be Eli. He will be inconsistent and may turn the ball over once or twice.

on the contrary, I think 'Eli will be Eli' means he would be consistent, not inconsistent... he may have that turnover or two, but he gets more good things done than bad... inconsistent would be someone like Rex Grossman, who gets more bad things done than good. Eli will still connect with more than 50% of his passes, he will still take a couple of sacks rather than rush a bad throw and he may still have a bad throw or two... but that's Eli being consistent.. hehe.

I just think the Giants perform better on the road, I think they get nervous in front of their own fans and ultimately play better as the underdog. We have seen them flop in situations like this before, and I think we see it again tonight.

I do believe you make a good point there... something I hadn't brought up. The home game stuff... they usually have more problems at home. They went 3-5 last year and 7-1 on the road... and they went 3-5 the year before that and 5-3 on the road. I don't think it's so much nervousness like you said... all their home losses were to top defenses and good teams last year (GB, Dallas, Minny, Washington, and New England).. GB, Dallas, and New England are all worthy losses... Washington and Minny were the two that got away, mostly by turnovers (you can think of Elis' 4 interceptions against Minny now.. hehe)... but their road record showed what they are capable of. The winds can get tricky and it can be sometimes hard to play in the Meadowlands (which gives teams like Minny and Washington with a great defense and an average offense a better chance)... which is why avoiding turnovers is crucial... but I think the Giants find a way through that tonight...

Clinton Portis is healthy and the NY D-line is half of what it once was. I think the better athletes are on Washington's sqaud and they prove it tonight with a win.

The line has been hurt due to the losses, but it is still very capable of stopping Portis and the running game... or at least limiting him on what he does... The Giants still have two top 10 DEs' in the league right now... they just don't have the depth so much as they did before.

but you do make some good points though Trout... and gl as well

I think the Giants, (gasp) will be lead by a breakout year by Eli and will cover up some of the defensive deficiencies. I'll be on this one tonight as well.

I think the Giants, (gasp) will be lead by a breakout year by Eli and will cover up some of the defensive deficiencies.

I wish I was that optimistic stepping up and having a breakout year... I do think he'll be his usual self, maybe a tad better, but I wouldn't expect miracles... he already gave us one last year.. haha

don't really mess with halftime plays, but...

This is how their 3 opening games with Eli the last 3 yrs have been... Last year, the Giants only scored 3 of their 45 pts in the first quarter (14 of them at the half)... the year before that in 06', they didn't score any pts in the first quarter (and had 7 pts for the half) out of 21 total pts, and the year before that in 05', they scored 7 of their 42 pts in the first quarter (7 was all for the half).

In the first game against Washington last year, they were down 17-3 the first half... and in the second game they were down 16-3 in the first half...

and both games against Washington last year were UNDER the 20.5 line being offered now for the first half... it also makes the Redskins +2.5 interesting...

but like I said... I don't mess with halves.. lol.

there was alot that I saw that I liked from the Giants... but there was also some stuff I didn't...

I think the defensive front line is still going to be NASTY again... we are going to have to thrive on that this year... the defensive backfield still has some holes... they'll be okay in the long run, but it's a concern... the way they played was good enough to get by today against Washington, but things will have to be stepped up higher than that when they play teams like Dallas.

Eli is still Eli... alot of smart playing and consistency for about 95% of the game... but he will still make a mistake here or there.. and it may cost us a game or two down the road...

The Giants pretty much dominated the whole game.. it was the settling for field goals offensively and the allowing big plays and getting penalties on defense and special teams that made things look closer..

it wasn't pretty.. but I'll take it.

Nice W for us tonight Blitz. I was at the game and I can't believe it was as close as the score. Dominating first half, absolutely dominating. And to just putter along in the 2 H and not really do anything, I was disappointed in, but the D is there. Eli made a bad pass there in the 3Q for the INT, but overall didn't think he played too bad. Nice start to the season for us and the G-men. GL rest of the way.

adding for tomorrow...

St. Louis @ Philly -7.5

to win 1 unit

I'm expecting this team to get back into the hunt of things and I predict they take the division (sucks to say that as a Giants fan)...

anyway, I'll go into more details later and I'm looking at some other games over on some last minute stuff as well..

gl to everyone tomorrow

added a few more...

here's my final card: (all plays to win 1 unit)

Washington @ NY Giants -3.5 WON

St. Louis @ Philly -7.5

NYJ @ Miami +3

Seattle @ Buffalo -1

Tampa Bay +3 @ New Orleans

Carolina +9.5 @ San Diego

Chicago @ Indianapolis -9.5

heading out but I'll try to come in later to discuss... gl to all tomorrow...

it's good to see the NFL season finally back... ;)

Looks like we're on a few together and you know what that means....

Let the great " Underwater Shark Blitz " show begin :cheers:

:36_1_36:

Washington @ NY Giants -3.5 (WON)

St. Louis @ Philly -7.5 (WON)

NYJ @ Miami +3 (loss)

Seattle @ Buffalo -1 (WON)

Tampa Bay +3 @ New Orleans (loss)

Carolina +9.5 @ San Diego (WON)

4-2 so far with Indy pending...

was almost going to pull the trigger on PIT, then backed off last second.. shoulda known better not to take PIT at home for less than a td against a team like Houston...

I can't believe both my losses (TB and MIA) came down the wire with chances to win in the last minute of the game.. and both choked... not to mention Miami also had a 4th and goal earlier in the 4th that was stuffed.. geez..

hopefully Indy closes things out for me on a good note...

pending:

[

good start to the season blitz

ive got indy to finish up a ML parlay so will be rootin for em too

BOL man

NYJ @ Miami +3 (loss)

4-2 so far with Indy pending...

was almost going to pull the trigger on PIT, then backed off last second.. shoulda known better not to take PIT at home for less than a td against a team like Houston...

I can't believe both my losses (TB and MIA) came down the wire with chances to win in the last minute of the game.. and both choked... not to mention Miami also had a 4th and goal earlier in the 4th that was stuffed.. geez..

pending:

[
I feel your pain. :10_5_137: that sucked. Good job with the rest though :shake: :cheers:

[

so much for that idea...

well, ended up 4-3 for the week.... a bit disappointing, but I guess I shouldn't complain coming out on the plus side after the first week...

updated:

4-3 (+1.7 units)

NYJ @ Miami +3 (loss)

Chicago @ Indianapolis -9.5 (loss)

i went 4-2 only up just over a unit with sd losing SU in a big teaser but i did take carolina +9 hahaha fuuuucckkkkkkkk but like you said + is better than losing right? you have 16 weeks of+1 unit thats 16 units on the year plus some so its all good. remember its a long season and every win adds up!

adding for tonight:

Minnesota @ Green Bay -2

1.1 to win 1

Minnesota ranked 1st against the run but last against the pass last year. They gave up 281 yards per game through the air. In his last four games against the Vikes, Brett Favre threw for 347, 285, 344 and 351 yards with 7 TDs and only 2 interceptions. Aaron Rodgers isn't Brett Favre, but he' still capable of moving an offense that was thriving on short slant patterns that went for long gains. There's no reason why Rodgers shouldn't be able to pull through here. The Vikings also allowed over three times as many passing touchdowns (22) as they did on the ground (7).

Adrian Peterson is a beast, but GB handed him one of his worst games where he ran for 45 yards on 11 carries then was knocked out of the game. I think GB should be able to keep him in check.. and the rest should fall into place.

also gonna throw a my first total play out there...

adding:

Minny @ GB OVER 37

1.1 to win 1

I know alot of people are on the UNDER here, but GB scored 23 @ Minny last year and 34 @ home in the second game. If they can get anywhere between there, then all I would need is for Minny to get a couple of tds... which I think gets done.

got the last two in to close up the week...

updated:

6-3 (+3.7 units)

THURSDAY PLAYS

SUNDAY PLAYS

NYJ @ Miami +3 (loss)

Chicago @ Indianapolis -9.5 (loss)

MONDAY PLAYS: