Week 0 What Are We Learning

Every year this time, in the mismatch type games, you can have one team get the Game Over, or nearly get the Game Over on their own.

Today - UNLV scores 52 (45 in 1H), game total was 51.5, Illinois scores 38, game total was 42, Mercer scores 63, game total was 56, UNC scores 56, game total was 56.5, Vandy has 56 late 3rd Q, game total was 54.5.

Now, some might've thought that Utah State would've scored more than they did.

Just saying every year, early in the season in these types of games, one team gets the full game or nearly gets the full game Overs somewhat often.

I simply don't know what you could take from this week any year. Some need CFB for some reason but this week teaches zilch. Vandy undefeated I guess. Great day to watch Man City come back from 0-2 down and sleep at 10am

Lots of things happen late in halves that effect sides and totals.

NW scores TD on 3rd down at end of 2nd Q to send 1H Over and win their 1H ML.

FAU gets pick-six in final minutes of 1H to send that one Over

UTEP drops a wide open bomb that would've been TD in the final 1-2 minutes that may have secured them a 1H cover. They punt and NTex fumbles a hand off exchange inside their own 20 with like :30 left. If UTEP scores TD, they win the 1st H. They have to kick a FG and instead go into HT trailing by 1.

Its pretty much over for Frost at Nebraska and I really expected him to have success there. If he can't get the job done there not sure who can.

Impressive win by Rich Rod. Think the university has the right man to lead them on the transition to the next step. Will be interesting to see how many points Mercer will be catching next week and what the ML is as well.

Impressive win by Rich Rod. Think the university has the right man to lead them on the transition to the next step. Will be interesting to see how many points Mercer will be catching next week and what the ML is as well.

Yes, Mercer...they didn't score until the 2H last year at Bama, but most of that team is back. Bama punted on 3 of their 1H possessions, "only" led 31-0 HT. Mercer actually looks pretty loaded and experienced team all around. Maybe not as strong on OL as they could be? Just based on the spread alone I could tell that Morehead was going to be awful, so not going to take much from that game, but the roster looks pretty decent for them.

Georgia State took Auburn to the absolute brink last year.

Tails of a improved Charlotte offense were greatly exaggerated. They hit that long td to open the game then basically did nothing rest of night. I didn’t like the way they seemingly gave up by half way thru 3rd and just started milking clock either, not a good look.

Yes, Mercer...they didn't score until the 2H last year at Bama, but most of that team is back. Bama punted on 3 of their 1H possessions, "only" led 31-0 HT. Mercer actually looks pretty loaded and experienced team all around. Maybe not as strong on OL as they could be? Just based on the spread alone I could tell that Morehead was going to be awful, so not going to take much from that game, but the roster looks pretty decent for them.

Georgia State took Auburn to the absolute brink last year.

Granted still a large disparity in talent, but the bears won’t show up scared and always nice to have a game under your belt. First game rust for Auburn and two Finley turnovers and the bears controlling the clock? Stranger things have happened.

The Bears bring back the majority of their line but lose Jason Poe and all-conference lineman John Harris.

Drake Maye and the freshman RBs for my Heels are all the real deal, but boy does good ol' mean Gene Chizik have some work to do on that defense, especially the secondary. This may be one of those seasons where we are gonna have to just outscore folks week in and week out, so UNC overs may be the play moving forward (note I am already on the over in Boone next week).

I thought the Wyoming D handled the ILL O in the 1H pretty well.

The QB for Wyoming, Utah St transfer, Peasley, he had some moments for USU, but he is not a starting caliber QB in FBS. He runs, can't throw...the story of every Wyoming QB since Josh Allen. Peasley was 1-of-9 at one point and finished the game 5-of-20 for 30y! It was funny, at one point yesterday there were actually 3 Wyoming QBs (or former QBs) playing in games at the same time...Levi Williams got in the game at Utah St, Vander Waal was playing for Idaho State and the current WYO QB was playing.

Was not very impressed with Illinois passing offense. Everything was short, not many chances or downfield throws I remember. RB Josh McCray was injured lower leg and I think WR Williams left the game/field, hopefully that was just cramps. Can't remember seeing him come back in.

It looked like UNC was trying to score the TD at the end a little too hard. They got the FD, a lot of times teams in that situation take knees now. Where they on the 3 with like 1-1/2min left with a FD? They tried scoring twice, I can't remember were both called back by penalty and then they finished without scoring.

UTEP has some significant RZ issues. They also had several drops. They miss super WR duo Cowing and Garrett quite a bit.

The QB for Wyoming, Utah St transfer, Peasley, he had some moments for USU, but he is not a starting caliber QB in FBS. He runs, can't throw...the story of every Wyoming QB since Josh Allen. Peasley was 1-of-9 at one point and finished the game 5-of-20 for 30y! It was funny, at one point yesterday there were actually 3 Wyoming QBs (or former QBs) playing in games at the same time...Levi Williams got in the game at Utah St, Vander Waal was playing for Idaho State and the current WYO QB was playing.

Was not very impressed with Illinois passing offense. Everything was short, not many chances or downfield throws I remember. RB Josh McCray was injured lower leg and I think WR Williams left the game/field, hopefully that was just cramps. Can't remember seeing him come back in.

Did peasley get sacked much? I see he had strong rush numbers, those what I’ll be looking at w him going forward but need to know if I gotta worry bout sacks for losses since ncaa counts that against qb rush stats. Im assuming Illinios be one the stronger defenses they see (outside maybe sdst) so if he went for 76 against them he could have some nice totals, unless teams figure out he can’t throw and start spying/dedicating more to taking legs away. I think I saw him make one good throw at Utah st, just one, I watched a ton of them last year and he had chances! Lol

Peasley was a decent #2 for USU, he led them to the win at AF off the bench. But, and it could be ILL, but I really don't think he has enough passing to start..but WYO has plenty of experience with that kind of QB.

He did not get sacked at all and actually, I think he is hard to sack.

Frost sucks. I watched the majority of that game and outside of very few areas Corn had the more talent but the WAY worse coach. Just brutal.

Someone said the Bows would be historically bad and they were right. How you let Vandy, the best team in the country, score 63 bro?

Duquesne is awful.

Hawaii and Nebraska were week 0 failures in 2021 and this year too.

Hard to believe anyone had less returning production than Hawaii, but Nevada did.

I love Jerry Kill but I don't know how coaching NMSU is gonna be good for his health.

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
Hawaii and Nebraska were week 0 failures in 2021 and this year too.

Hard to believe anyone had less returning production than Hawaii, but Nevada did.

I love Jerry Kill but I don't know how coaching NMSU is gonna be good for his health.
Kinda ironic that a man named Kill ends up at NMSU amirite?

My dad grew up in Scottsbluff NE and went there. Grew up rooting for Big Red. NE/OK on Thanksgiving was always huge. We pretty much jumped off when Osborne decided to play Phillips after his dragging his gf by her hair down the stairs event. But I have followed them some nonetheless over the years. Watched game yesterday and made a little betting live, mainly taking NW TT Over. My thoughts FWIW:

1. I thought Frost, after what he did at UCF, would be a huge winner at NE and compete for NC - just hasn't happened.
2. NE WR fumbling at the NW 10 in 1H after long pass complete was huge momentum swing. In my mind, I saw NE in a blowout if they score TD there.
3. Onside kick was beyond dumb obviously - kick deep and see if your D can gain some confidence and stop them. Instead they come on field demoralized.
4. Thompson was horrible 2H. The one live bet I lost was NE TT O35.5 - couldn't believe they quit scoring. Thompson seemed very inaccurate in 2H.
5. NE D sure looks bad to me.

Other Week 0. Those who said to fade Wyoming and Hawaii appear dead on. Think Nevada sucks too - had New Mex St. +11 and watched that game. 3 hours of my life wasted. Now that was some bad football. New Mex St. should have covered about 6 different ways. They did seem better with the backup QB.

Eager to see what the Wyoming (Tulsa) and Hawaii (WKy) lines do for Week 1.

My dad grew up in Scottsbluff NE and went there. Grew up rooting for Big Red. NE/OK on Thanksgiving was always huge. We pretty much jumped off when Osborne decided to play Phillips after his dragging his gf by her hair down the stairs event. But I have followed them some nonetheless over the years. Watched game yesterday and made a little betting live, mainly taking NW TT Over. My thoughts FWIW:

1. I thought Frost, after what he did at UCF, would be a huge winner at NE and compete for NC - just hasn't happened.
2. NE WR fumbling at the NW 10 in 1H after long pass complete was huge momentum swing. In my mind, I saw NE in a blowout if they score TD there.
3. Onside kick was beyond dumb obviously - kick deep and see if your D can gain some confidence and stop them. Instead they come on field demoralized.
4. Thompson was horrible 2H. The one live bet I lost was NE TT O35.5 - couldn't believe they quit scoring. Thompson seemed very inaccurate in 2H.

Other Week 0. Those who said to fade Wyoming and Hawaii appear dead on. Think Nevada sucks too - had New Mex St. +11 and watched that game. 3 hours of my life wasted. Now that was some bad football. New Mex St. should have covered about 6 different ways. They did seem better with the backup QB.

Quite simply handicapping Hawaii vs the actual line is pointless imo. They might well be 50 points worse than the next best team in the country.

Knew this coming in but for all Nevada flaws, and they are many, they have a couple really talented running backs. I’d think they see a lot of stacked boxes going forward.

peasley had some moments last year at utah state - he looked quite good and was being rotated in early in year against byu etc - i think it's a sign of bohls. .....I wouldn't throw wyoming in trash yet, as huge dogs against lesser comp they may hang in there. ....same with levi williams he had some ability. Boh's is a killer

Quite simply handicapping Hawaii vs the actual line is pointless imo. They might well be 50 points worse than the next best team in the country.
i don't see the ml dog thread but i think they have a shot vs western kentucky this week

i don't see the ml dog thread but i think they have a shot vs western kentucky this week

If you really like them wait. That line been getting pounded!! I think wku will show improvement and my concern for Hawaii is what appears to remain wku biggest weakness is rush d, teams just gashed them last year and AP kept it going on Saturday as they ran for bout 170, I assume that a crazy high number for Austin peay!! Can and will Hawaii exploit that? Even tho Pearson had some success on the ground Hawaii didht seem very interested in sticking with it! I assumed this coaching staff was gonna get back to the old chuck it all over Hawaii days.

On the other side since vandy qb much more effective as a runner and they were gashing Hawaii all night Didn’t really get to see if Hawaii has any resistance to offer against the pass? We know what wku gonna do. Can Hawaii get any stops? This thing gonna be high scoring! I’ll be hoping to get a passing td prop for wku qb Austin Reed, when wku scores tds they gonna come thru the air as all 4 their offensive tds came thru air on Saturday (got a reed over 3.5 td passes last week at some obscure site that just does fantasy and props!., I assume his number could be 4 this week but I’d still play that.

The UConn injuries:

starting quarterback Ta’Quan Roberson and WR1 Keelan Marion. While the team is still waiting on an MRI, it’s believed to be a torn ACL for Roberson, while Marion will have surgery for a broken collarbone.

If you really like them wait. That line been getting pounded!! I think wku will show improvement and my concern for Hawaii is what appears to remain wku biggest weakness is rush d, teams just gashed them last year and AP kept it going on Saturday as they ran for bout 170, I assume that a crazy high number for Austin peay!! Can and will Hawaii exploit that? Even tho Pearson had some success on the ground Hawaii didht seem very interested in sticking with it! I assumed this coaching staff was gonna get back to the old chuck it all over Hawaii days.

On the other side since vandy qb much more effective as a runner and they were gashing Hawaii all night Didn’t really get to see if Hawaii has any resistance to offer against the pass? We know what wku gonna do. Can Hawaii get any stops? This thing gonna be high scoring! I’ll be hoping to get a passing td prop for wku qb Austin Reed, when wku scores tds they gonna come thru the air as all 4 their offensive tds came thru air on Saturday (got a reed over 3.5 td passes last week at some obscure site that just does fantasy and props!., I assume his number could be 4 this week but I’d still play that.
hawaii strength of their team is OL - i think they can get some runs on western. .......can western run on hawaii ? can western run on anyone ?

I think it's a good matchup for hawaii, lot of throws - and into the strength of the other teams d. I kinda go with the under assume it's gotta be in 70s, western kentucky wr's I don't see the same separation as last year.

hawaii strength of their team is OL - i think they can get some runs on western. .......can western run on hawaii ? can western run on anyone ?

I think it's a good matchup for hawaii, lot of throws - and into the strength of the other teams d. I kinda go with the under assume it's gotta be in 70s, western kentucky wr's I don't see the same separation as last year.

Oh anyone can run on wku, that what I was saying, my concern is whether Hawaii will actually commit to running or insist on passing even tho they be much better off running as much as possible!! It no secret what wku gomma do, they not interested in running much, some token runs against light box when they have numbers or short yardage! That why I was asking bout Hawaii pass d since vsndy didn’t care to text that into out much. I def think Pearson could have seccess on ground, just afraid Hawaii will fall into trying to shoot it out which I think asking dog trouble l!

Oh anyone can run on wku, that what I was saying, my concern is whether Hawaii will actually commit to running or insist on passing even tho they be much better off running as much as possible!! It no secret what wku gomma do, they not interested in running much, some token runs against light box when they have numbers or short yardage! That why I was asking bout Hawaii pass d since vsndy didn’t care to text that into out much. I def think Pearson could have seccess on ground, just afraid Hawaii will fall into trying to shoot it out which I think asking dog trouble l!
good point hawaii pass d hasn't really been tested, assuming that's all new guys too like their entire defense ....assume they are more comfortable there facing their spread everyday. prbly a stay away game but maybe a better matchup then vandy

good point hawaii pass d hasn't really been tested, assuming that's all new guys too like their entire defense ....assume they are more comfortable there facing their spread everyday. prbly a stay away game but maybe a better matchup then vandy
I'm thinking a WKU team total might be in the works. Should get a couple short fields to work with too.

I'm thinking a WKU team total might be in the works. Should get a couple short fields to work with too.

Hoping I can get another pass td prop on Reed. When they score td’s the majority gonna come thru the air. All 4 did last week! If Hawaii willing to play fast break ball with them id think wku scores a lot!!!! Hawaii will score some but no way they keep up imo. Best way to slow down wku offense is run ball and don’t give it back to them for long stretches, they rather you score quick than go on long drive and not score, They usually need some drives before the offense starts clicking, but once it does they score In bunches! Hawaii be dumb to play wku style but I think their coach would like to play that way also wouldn’t he?

It's not fair to compare Reed to Zappe or even compare this 2022 WKU O to last year's O all things considered. Still, I had higher expectations for it and I was let down by those expectations with the reality that was their game. Sure game 1...some weather in the 3rd Q...sure. Maybe they get better. The West Florida QB Reed, says he is a career 55% passer? Tyrell Pigrome had a better completion % than that. Everyone knows that WKU wouldn't be able to duplicate what they had last year, thought they could do some similar things, once seeing it live, it looks a lot less efficient and smooth than last year.

Before the 2021 season Tyson Helton at WKU was 3-8 ATS as a favorite the prior two seasons. I see Tyson Summers is their DC, a coach who I don't think is thought very highly of, but he keeps showing up at different places.

Also was not impressed with Illinois passing offense, but it was pretty evident that they were doing the bare minimum to try to keep as much off tape for the Indiana game as possible. That Indiana game is huge for both teams if they have designs on a bowl game this year. The one area I'll give Wyoming credit for is that they have a couple nose tackles that play relentlessly hard, especially Godbout. They bottled up Chase Brown pretty well when he was running behind the new guys on the Illini interior OL, but any time he went outside he got chunks of yards.

Wyoming QB Peasley is terrible. He's big and is hard to tackle, but he absolutely can't throw. Almost all of his rushing yards were on two read options where the contain guy crashed inside like a moron. Illinois has a good secondary, but 5/20 for 30 yards? Awful. If they run up against even average run defenses, they are going to be in trouble, and Peasley played the whole game...not a good sign if they don't have anyone they even want to give a shot to given that horrific performance.

The bottom of the Mountain West is going to be abysmal. We all saw that horror show that Timmy Chang has to deal with. Wyoming can't score...their offense was completely impotent. Nevada's was worse, and they can thank 5 turnovers (that they really did nothing to force), and a well timed "lightning delay" that changed the entire complexion of the game for being able to beat what is probably about the 127th best team in the country. We haven't even seen New Mexico yet, and they might be as bad as any of them on offense. I've always liked the Mountain West, but there's some embarrassing squads out there this year.

Drake Maye and the freshman RBs for my Heels are all the real deal, but boy does good ol' mean Gene Chizik have some work to do on that defense, especially the secondary. This may be one of those seasons where we are gonna have to just outscore folks week in and week out, so UNC overs may be the play moving forward (note I am already on the over in Boone next week).
Interested in your opinion on this CB...I want to see if I'm on the right track here. I see that the Heels are back to a 1.5 favorite in Boone, but they were getting a point earlier this morning. I know they are taking heat for their performance against the Rattlers, but in my opinion, there's no way they could have been in any frame of mind to put forth their best effort, given the situation Florida A&M was in. My guess is they took note of the line where it was, and also how close it is now. It seems like with that clunker out of the way, they might be in line to give a good effort, and Appy State has shit the bed in chances like this before (Miami a few years ago). Seems like a value-less play to go with Appy, especially with Chase Brice still hanging around.

Interested in your opinion on this CB...I want to see if I'm on the right track here. I see that the Heels are back to a 1.5 favorite in Boone, but they were getting a point earlier this morning. I know they are taking heat for their performance against the Rattlers, but in my opinion, there's no way they could have been in any frame of mind to put forth their best effort, given the situation Florida A&M was in. My guess is they took note of the line where it was, and also how close it is now. It seems like with that clunker out of the way, they might be in line to give a good effort, and Appy State has shit the bed in chances like this before (Miami a few years ago). Seems like a value-less play to go with Appy, especially with Chase Brice still hanging around.
The Downs injury appears to not be an issue so the uncertainty prior may have caused the line to move as it did. I expect Grimes to sit but not a huge loss given his less than stellar performance over the years. I fully expect a dogfight and a lot of the talk around here is all App so I expect us to use that as motivation as many aren’t giving us much of a shot in Boone. Looking forward to what should be a high scoring fun game to watch. Hopefully the weather holds up as there is talk of rain but in that area you never really know til it happens.

Even though it was against FAMU, I was pleased to see us cause some turnovers on defense, as that has been one of our outages for a while, as our defense always came close, but never seemed to be able to force fumbles or get INT's. Given that we gave a pretty vanilla looking scheme on defense in Week 0, my thinking is that Chizik is gonna bring it on Saturday, as there really was no need to do so last weekend. I give FAMU a lot of credit as they showed a lot of heart, but you could tell as the game progressed that they were running out of gas and it was just a matter of time until they would completely wear down and start giving up big gains, which is exactly what happened in the 2H with our RBs taking advantage of that big time.

Even though it was against FAMU, I was pleased to see us cause some turnovers on defense, as that has been one of our outages for a while, as our defense always came close, but never seemed to be able to force fumbles or get INT's. Given that we gave a pretty vanilla looking scheme on defense in Week 0, my thinking is that Chizik is gonna bring it on Saturday, as there really was no need to do so last weekend. I give FAMU a lot of credit as they showed a lot of heart, but you could tell as the game progressed that they were running out of gas and it was just a matter of time until they would completely wear down and start giving up big gains, which is exactly what happened in the 2H with our RBs taking advantage of that big time.
Just saw that Florida A&M has 88 players that signed a letter complaining about everything associated with the program has been a failure. Delivered the president. They're going to kneel during the alma mater anthem this season. :rofl:

Back