Week 0 Thoughts

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
Well, the best time of the year is upon us. Best of luck to everyone who, like me, enjoys commiserating here in B.A.R & Co's little corner of the degenerate universe.

I'm hoping to post regularly this year, but the travel schedule is pretty relentless. As always, if I can end up a little better than a coin flip, I'll be happy.

Not much to get too excited about this week, which is why I wouldn't even call this a collection of write ups. My intention was to grab Northwestern as the line eventually settled in around 14, but a funny thing happened today. It plummeted for whatever reason all the way down to 10, and is now eeking it's way up. If it gets back up to where I can get 14 at -115 or so, I'll bite, but I can't in good conscience make such a value-less play on the Cats. To sum up my thoughts quickly, Nebraska is still in prove it mode for me. I know a lot of people are on Nebraska, and I totally understand from a fundamental handicapping point of view as to why you would expect the Huskers to have their way with Northwestern. There's much more talent, and they've stockpiled some impressive transfers as well. None of that kind of thing ever seems to matter for the modern day Huskers, however. If there's a team out there with more of a black cloud than the Scott Frost led Huskers, I'd like to see it. Also, I guess we are all supposed to be impressed that Mark Whipple is on the staff now? This is going to erase 4 years of non stop head slapping skullduggery? About the only thing Scott Frost has been competent at since he arrived in Lincoln is having dead eye aim when he's taking a shot at his own foot. In case you're wondering, this isn't some new hotshot OC. It's not Mark Whipple Jr. This is the same 65 year old grandpa who has run mediocre offenses starting with the Arizona Wranglers in 1984(!!) until 2020 at Pitt. The outlier of these past 38 years was last year, when Kenny Pickett and Jordan Addison finally gave Whipple some modicum of success. So now he's at Nebraska, and overnight, the Huskers, with all their new pieces are going to pick up right where Pickett and company left off. Maybe they will. They are laying points against a Northwestern team that stunk to high heaven last year, but always bounces back and has had their best seasons when they have experience (and that means ANY kind of experience) back, which they do this year. Ultimately, a major travel game like this tests a coach's mettle. Does anyone trust Frost and co to make sure, despite all the distractions that everyone is on the same page and rowing in the same direction? I don't, but I do trust Pat Fitzgerald, especially if it's in a year he has something to prove. On paper, it looks like Nebraska should easily handle the Cats, but these two teams are mortal opposites "on paper". Unfortunately, at 10.5, I can't make the bet.

I do have one that I've bet, however:

1. @New Mexico State +8.5 v Nevada: I'm guessing everyone has heard where Jay Norvell left this Nevada program shortly after the curtain closed on the Wolf Pack's 2021 season. To coin a phrase, he left them "high and dry" or "in the lurch"...pick your cliche. Norvell left for conference rival Colorado State, and he took just about his entire staff and a handful of players with him. Nevada ended up settling for long term Nevada guy Ken Wilson, but I can't help but think that the choice was somewhat of a desperate one in a shallow pool of candidates. Nevada was gutted by transfers, resulting in almost 70% of their roster being guys who have never suited up for the Wolf Pack. 7 of the current starters on their depth chart were walk-ons less than a year ago. Their season win total has plummeted from 5 to 3.5 in the past couple of weeks, for good reason. You're probably thinking, "That's all well and good, but what is there to like about New Mexico State?" Good question, and my answer is not a lot, but there are some things to like. I'll start with the fact that they hired Jerry Kill, a guy that nobody would accuse of being a novice. He's won everywhere he's been, usually at a higher level than was commonplace before he got there...ditto NMSU. . NMSU is likely to struggle on offense, but they return just about everyone on defense, which could allow them to be competitive on that side of the ball. My guess is that Kill will do everything he can to run it and keep the clock moving, either with one of his pretty deep group of RBs, or the presumed starter at QB, who won the JUCO national title by playing a smart, ball control type of game. I trust Kill to be in this game until the end, and frankly, if someone put a gun to my head and asked for a straight up winner here, I would probably take the Aggies.

Slight lean to Charlotte because they have a 5th year solid QB and a slew of receivers and FAU's DC is the newest version of Brian Van Gorder or Todd Grantham(Todd Orlando). I'm not sold enough on that to play it.

Best of luck, and let me know what you think. Next week should have much more in terms of stated plays.

Last edited:
good point on whipple - it's honestly an ultimate stay away game. Nebraska routinely fails in week 1 and northwestern like you said comes back, but last time they did so they had a good qb come into the program from indiana and talent upgrade. Now they trot out the same qb and ol, though Fitzgerald says this is one of his best ol's - how is that possible ? I'm buying riaola at nebraska but could be shiny object syndrome and frost is a choke artist

I tried really hard for days to talk myself into NMst for all the reasons you stated about why it probably a good idea to fade Nevada. Then I got to the reasons to like nmst and had the same problem you mentioned, there isn’t a lot to like outside agreeing I think they made a good coaching hire and believe he will most likely get them headed in the right direction, just not sure how quickly?

If I had to play it taking the points seems like the obvious and only way to go about it, however I do feel pretty decent about the under instead of a side (which again makes the underdog the more appealing side). This game was a crazy shootout last year but don’t think Nevada will be playing many of those anymore!! Since effort and intensity go a long way on the defensive side I would think this will be the unit that Kill will be able to improve the quickest, you can lack talent and still be solid defensively, especially against a team who lost its qb and was gutted of most its weaponry! The other thing I’d say looks like Kill outta have a immediate impact on is the run game as that tends to be a staple of his teams and he brought a talented transfer rb from tcu with him.

Seems to me Nevada is gonna look to rely much more on a run game as the new HC coach comes from defensive side, those guys always want a ground game and ball control! rb one the few positions they bring back their top 2 contributors in the bruising Taua and Lee who came on at end the year. Seems pretty logical to me they should want to protect a defense who also lost a lot by leaning on their 2 most experienced weapons out the backfield.

Everything about this game screams low scoring to me, I’m pretty confident NMst will look to possess the ball and grind it out as much as possible which one the better ways to keep your team in games. They facing a Nevada team that doesn’t possess the fire power it once did and most likely won’t be interested in chucking the ball all over the place any longer. Taua isn’t exactly a game breaker, when he and the offense have success it will come In the form of long drives. Let’s assume both offenses are successful and are able to regularly drive the ball between the 20s, doing so will chew up clock as I don’t see a lot of chunk plays from either offense, then when they get into the red zone that where execution becomes vital which you wouldn’t expect to be real crisp with so many new pieces and everyone learning new schemes! Nevada team total of 28.5 feels high to me, I don’t think they scoring 4 tds and then another score! 23-27 feels much more reasonable to me. Nmst total of 19.5 I think is right bout in between, they might only score 16 but they could get 23! (In which case I think they cover for sure! I think if nmst gets 20 they cover). Pretty wide range of numbers I know but only both hitting what I think their ceilings would creep ov the number since it now down to 48, really wish I woulda been on the ball and got this when it was 51 last week when I knew I liked this! or even better woulda been the 54.5 it apparently was at beginning the month! Unfortunately I’m not on the ball like the pro’s.

Always great to see your threads BK. Been reading a lot about Charlotte here locally and I agree with your points, but I am just not sold on their defense until they show it on the field. I am actually leaning over in that one as both teams have the ability to give us big plays, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 35-31 type of game in that one. If I had to pick a play, I would probably play the FAU TT Over at anything under 34 as I think they will have no problem scoring and I would probably trust their offense at home a little more than Charlotte's on the road, but should be an entertaining game either way.

Always great to see your threads BK. Been reading a lot about Charlotte here locally and I agree with your points, but I am just not sold on their defense until they show it on the field. I am actually leaning over in that one as both teams have the ability to give us big plays, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 35-31 type of game in that one. If I had to pick a play, I would probably play the FAU TT Over at anything under 34 as I think they will have no problem scoring and I would probably trust their offense at home a little more than Charlotte's on the road, but should be an entertaining game either way.

I really don’t like overs this early in the year but I tend to agree this looks like a high scoring affair, especially if Charolette gonna compete I think it gotta be the offense doing the heavy lifting.

now that the day is here I want to throw little something on NMst ml, think I rather do that than make a full bet on them w the points!! I mean why not? If they keep it within the number I got the better far more experienced coach in a close game!!

Thanks CB....I think I've mentioned a bunch on here about how snakebitten I am on totals so I never play them, but there's a lot of logic in what you're saying. FAU exploded on the Niners in the second half in their game last year(mostly due to turnovers), but the potential for lots of points really fast is there on both sides and that total is not unreasonable, and I'd agree 34 is a good spot for FAU. As for Charlotte, you hope the new DC Greg Brown can at least get their defense organized. He's like Whipple in that he's been around for 40 years, but in this case I'm just asking for competence, something they could only dream of last year.

Agree, I would be very surprised if Mark Whipple has some kind of major impact off the bat. After year one at Pitt, the PY did go up by 120 ypg, but the overall game TY only went up by 10 due to a big drop in the running game, YPP dropped and the PPG actually dropped as well from 25.6 to 21.2.

In his other high profile college job, Whipple's first year at Miami in 2009 saw some modest increases in PPG 27.1 to 30.3, a jump in TY per game of 74y mostly in the passing numbers, completion % ticked up 1.4%.

A lot goes into team success and failure, improvement and regression. But I don't think anything in Whipple's history suggests immediate success will happen. I actually don't think Pitt fans were very impressed with him the first couple years.

We'll have to see how it goes. I do feel bad for Scott Frost to experience such failure at a school he obviously loves. But now I feel bad for him that his future is in the hands of Mark Whipple.

now that the day is here I want to throw little something on NMst ml, think I rather do that than make a full bet on them w the points!! I mean why not? If they keep it within the number I got the better far more experienced coach in a close game!!

What about a 1H ML? Think they can lead at the half?

What about a 1H ML? Think they can lead at the half?

I don’t see why not, only thing is I don’t think this like some of those overmatched dogs we tend to look for where we just hope they can hang for a half. This feels way more like a grind it out game with 2 teams that not that far apart, if nmst leading at the half I’ll feel pretty good they can continue playing w them and hold the lead, obviously full game pays better. I don’t see this as a game where Nevada can get down and step on the gas, I don’t think they have another gear anymore!! Know what I’m saying?

I do know what you are saying. And I think we have the same potential fear in that Nevada's running game can be good enough over time to wear down the NMSU D. But we also know this Nev OL should be pretty underwhelming so it could be hard for the RBs to get room. Looking at the slate, as medium dogs go and situation and all, NMSU looks about as good as it gets for a shot.

I do know what you are saying. And I think we have the same potential fear in that Nevada's running game can be good enough over time to wear down the NMSU D. But we also know this Nev OL should be pretty underwhelming so it could be hard for the RBs to get room. Looking at the slate, as medium dogs go and situation and all, NMSU looks about as good as it gets for a shot.

Oh yea for sure. Nevada could def be the ones with the stronger rush attack. Think they have a qb holdover on roster with a cannon also, forget his name, that big ass kid who like freakishly tall! Don’t think he very accurate but if they do have to throw think he the most experienced of the bunch on both teams.

10pm on ESPN

It gonna kill me trying to control myself today! I’ve been so good about staying disciplined the last year or so. Part of me says I deserve a degen day and just play some shit I don’t have any delusions of thinking I have a edge!! The other part of me says I spend too much time and energy on this shit to hand them anything back just for some action! @survive&advance turned me onto this website that all props and they have stuff up on games DK or other books would never offer, think I might just play w that a little today other than the couple games I like.

It gonna kill me trying to control myself today! I’ve been so good about staying disciplined the last year or so. Part of me says I deserve a degen day and just play some shit I don’t have any delusions of thinking I have a edge!! The other part of me says I spend too much time and energy on this shit to hand them anything back just for some action! @survive&advance turned me onto this website that all props and they have stuff up on games DK or other books would never offer, think I might just play w that a little today other than the couple games I like.
Games are spread out enough that it should be a bit easier than normal to reign it in.

Any reason to not play against the UConn defense after the coordinator ditched them this week?

BOL Brass and thanks for the thoughts on NMSU. Didn't even realize Kill was back in the game, and always have respected him. Have a great season!

Any reason to not play against the UConn defense after the coordinator ditched them this week?
Not really, LOL. I just didn't pay much attention to that one because Utah State is probably just looking to get that game over with since they have Alabama coming up. UConn has some decent talent transferring in and they were better at hanging in games as a big dog last year, so I laid off. The DC thing made them unappetizing to back despite quite a few people I pay attention to considering it.

I really don’t like overs this early in the year but I tend to agree this looks like a high scoring affair, especially if Charolette gonna compete I think it gotta be the offense doing the heavy lifting.
There is no doubt about that. The discrepancy between the competence of Charlotte's offense and their defense could be among the biggest in CFB this year. I have some hope their defense won't be as bad as last year, but if it is, their offense is their only chance to compete. Lucky for them it should be well above average.

Agree. In most years you'd like Wyoming's chances as a +400-500 ML dog, but this team looks like they are behind the 8 ball. I have many battle scars from the Illini dropping games like this in the past though so I would never rule it out. I actually have a few bucks on Wyoming + just in case.

Not really, LOL. I just didn't pay much attention to that one because Utah State is probably just looking to get that game over with since they have Alabama coming up. UConn has some decent talent transferring in and they were better at hanging in games as a big dog last year, so I laid off. The DC thing made them unappetizing to back despite quite a few people I pay attention to considering it.
Thinking of going the route with USU's team total...not ideal with Bama on deck but could also see them show up strong knowing they have zero chance next week.

Thanks CB....I think I've mentioned a bunch on here about how snakebitten I am on totals so I never play them, but there's a lot of logic in what you're saying. FAU exploded on the Niners in the second half in their game last year(mostly due to turnovers), but the potential for lots of points really fast is there on both sides and that total is not unreasonable, and I'd agree 34 is a good spot for FAU. As for Charlotte, you hope the new DC Greg Brown can at least get their defense organized. He's like Whipple in that he's been around for 40 years, but in this case I'm just asking for competence, something they could only dream of last year.

It really shouldn’t be that difficult to improve a defense that was really bad, going from avg to good is tougher/takes talent upgrades, but as I mentioned in the post bout nmst d I’m a firm believer all it really takes to go from awful to decent is buy in from the players so they give you all they got! You can will your way into playing respectable d, it just a matter of getting all the kids to believe it!!

Reactions: KJ

I really wanted to be on Utah st, been thinking 1st half more so than game but when I learned of the fact they play bama next week it gave me pause. Still lean to them 1st half but clearly I wasn’t alone w this thought as the line all way down to -24 for game yet holding firm at -14.5 1st half, I was expecting to be able to get under -14! Ucon had enough interesting pieces join the offense (including a former 4 star qb transfer from penn st) that they just might be good enough on offense to score 7-10 1st half points on Utah st suspect d!! Utah at 1sy half team total is 23.5, that doesn’t make me confident they be leading by more than 14!! Actually now lean to the 1st half over 32 more than a side.

Good story about Whipple: Back when he was head coach at University of New Haven (D 2), he brought them immediate success and in his final year went 11-1. The best part was the basketball season following the football season. The intramural basketball games were violent. Whipple and staff would play the baseball teams (2 teams), basketball (JV), Football team (6 teams), and 2 others. Whipple’s team would screen like Laimbeer, and was violent. Whipple was awesome from ten feet in and used the glass like Pistol Pete. He was an excellent player. Following his departure, the late great Tony Soprano continued the tradition. I was fortunate enough to play 4 years there and captained my last season.
We had goals my senior year, win conference (Automatic bid) to College World Series. Win City Series (Cardinals pitcher John Stuper, coached Yale) and Win the intramural league. We accomplished 2 out of 3, losing to Sopranos team in finals. Soprano was good as well, much more physical than Whipple. Moving screens and bloody lips were the norm.

Fun fact. Charlotte's new AD was my next-door neighbor for many years. I used to play basketball with him in the driveway. He had a weird affinity for Southern Conference teams.

Back