WednesDayBases

bloodhound

Sniffing out wins
7-2-3 +1.98 last UP 330.02 ytd

I thought I would post a few games with team that still have something to play for. But thats not saying that the opposing team would not like to also win.
Obviously, it's a common practice for teams that have clinched a spot in the postseason to rest players for their playoff run.

Four ball clubs have clinched division crowns (Red Sox, A's, Braves, Dodgers) and could have their foot off the pedal down the stretch and coast into the playoffs with healthy lineups and rested rotations.But Braves are still playing for 'best record' over the Cards

The St. Louis Cardinals have clinched a wild card spot at the very least, but will definitely look to cement that NL Central crown down the stretch.

Teams in Wild Card hunt

The National League wild cards will probably come out of the central as the Pirates and Reds are tied with 89-67 records. The Washington Nationals have saved their best baseball for September, but it would be monumental for them to grab one of the wild card spots.

Things in the American League are a little more interesting as several teams are involved.

Tampa Bay and Cleveland head into Monday with claims to the two wild cards.

Texas, despite an epic free fall, is 1.5 games behind. The Kansas City Royals are 3.5 games back and the Yankees are still mathematically alive and sit four games behind.

While these teams are still in the hunt, they'll be playing all-out until eliminated.

Scrappy teams that haven't given up

Some teams that under-achieved during the regular season seem to pick it up and either try to play the spoiler role or just attempt to close the season on a high note.

Three such teams picking it up even though they have nothing to play for are the New York Mets, Milwaukee Brewers and Los Angeles Angels.

The Mets are Angels are both 7-3 in their last 10 overall and the Brewers are 6-4 in their previous 10 ball games.

The Angels are approaching the .500 mark and would be a minor victory for a ball club that had high expectation heading into the season. The Halos could play spoiler to the Texas Rangers as they close the regular season with a four-game set in Arlington. If the Rangers are alive, the Angels will look to squash any playoff aspirations in Texas

Wednesday plays all x half
St. Louis Cardinals -130* <small>vs</small> Washington Nationals (Zimmermann - R must Start S Miller - R must Start) 62/50

Atlanta Braves -150* <small>vs</small> Milwaukee Brewers (K Lohse - R must Start P Maholm - L must Start) 75/50

Cleveland Indians -260* <small>vs</small> Chicago White Sox (D Axelrod - R must Start D Salazar - R must Start) 130/50

Texas Rangers -275* <small>vs</small> Houston Astros (D Keuchel - L must Start M Perez - L must Start) 137/50

Kansas City Royals +110* <small>vs</small> Seattle Mariners (E Santana - R must Start H Iwakuma - R must Start) 50/55

Los Angeles Angels* -128 vs Oakland Athletics
D Straily - R Listed J Weaver - R Listed 64/50

totals later and a few more sides later

GLTA

Thanks for the elucidating post, bloodhound! Also, just wanted to say that whenever I see your avatar, I feel like all--or at least something--is right in the world. GL.

Thanks P2W
With this old age disease that I have, some times my early mornings I feel like "" I can see forever."" But then the old brain cells get tired and I cant even remember my damn name :)

Appreciate the comment about the avatar. I have owned and raised bloodhounds for over 30 yrs and they are one of those special breeds. The one I have now though is one dumb sob. I ask him which way i should play a game and he just sits there and never answers.... Lou, the last one I had new the system...one woof for yes, two woofs for no, when I ask if a certain team would win :)

GL my friend

Like the plays.

Don't forget to add in that all major league players still have to play as well as they can because they all have contracts and all of those have performance clauses in them. So still trying means money whether you are in the playoff hunt or not. A friend of mine in the White Sox organization always told me that the clubs look for players who are mailing it in at the end of the season and they note that so next year if there is a toss up between players they dump or trade the coasters. GL

Like the plays.

Don't forget to add in that all major league players still have to play as well as they can because they all have contracts and all of those have performance clauses in them. So still trying means money whether you are in the playoff hunt or not. A friend of mine in the White Sox organization always told me that the clubs look for players who are mailing it in at the end of the season and they note that so next year if there is a toss up between players they dump or trade the coasters. GL

Thanks, Very good point GL to King Wire

these are based on 'feel' more than umps or trends

New York Mets/Cincinnati Reds* Over 7 -170
D Matsuzaka - R Listed M Latos - R Listed 85/50

Washington Nationals/St. Louis Cardinals* Under 7½ -135

Zimmermann - R Listed S Miller - R Listed 67/50

Arizona Diamondbacks/San Diego Padres* Over 6 -145
R Delgado - R Listed I Kennedy - R Listed 73/50

Oakland Athletics/Los Angeles Angels* Over 7 -135
D Straily - R Listed J Weaver - R Listed 67/50

Houston Astros/Texas Rangers* Over 9 -105
D Keuchel - L Listed M Perez - L Listed 53/50

Kansas City Royals/Seattle Mariners* Under 7 -162
E Santana - R Listed H Iwakuma - R Listed 81/50

Tampa Bay Rays* -161 vs New York Yankees
D Price - L Listed P Hughes - R Listed 80/50

Tampa Bay Rays/New York Yankees* Under 7½ -120
D Price - L Listed P Hughes - R Listed 60/50

mr hound -- I didn't know you got yourself a new bloodhound. I think that's great.
I just wish he were a little smarter. Maybe should go to Obedience School ??

I have been inactive for about a month now, or until USOpen tennis and NCAA FB started to get my attention.
Where I left off was down almost 8 units and in August I started betting two undr-achievers, Blue Jays and Angels, and I wind up now minus just a fraction of a unit. The schedules changed and the Jays and Halos became more challenged. That fact combined with tennis and FB arriving brought my MLB action to a halt. I would love to wind up in the + , and need one winner without suffering any losses to make that happen. I would agree with your blog in Post # 1 ( not surprising that two old goats can agree ) and see your are on one team that I want to win more than any other - the LA Angels.
So I 'm getting down on them today, and maybe will continue to do so after they head to Texas. And I'll be visiting your threads in this forum on a regular basis until it's alll over in November.
Best of Luck.

CAsh, Thank U, Appreciate the kind words

MrBull LOL We got our Angels win but lost a few others GL on the rest of the season

Tim, Thanks buddy GL to U

Big fitght 1st inning of Braves game damit

MrBull LOL We got our Angels win but lost a few others GL on the rest of the season

Would you believe I didn't get the bet down ??
Stupid - didn't realize it was a day game. Grrr.

Would you believe I didn't get the bet down ??
Stupid - didn't realize it was a day game. Grrr.

:) I'm sure u want make that mistake today my friend

Not the day I wanted but scraped out a small positive day.
9-5-0 +0.88 UP 330.90ytd

I hate Sept MLB!!

Back