Wednesday Top Total Bets Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Best MLB Picks: Wednesday's Top Total Bets

Washington Nationals vs Toronto Blue Jays
Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 6:05 p.m. ET at Nationals Park in Washington D.C.

Worried About Max?

Washington’s ace suffered some rough patches during Spring Training. His season debut, on the surface, seemed to confirm any preexisting concerns.

But for starters, Spring Training is, well, Spring Training. As for his season debut, let’s take a closer look.

Against the Yankees, he surrendered four runs in 5.1 innings, amounting to a 6.75 ERA.

His most frequent pitch was, as usual, the fastball. Its location was a bit off — he left it more often in the most middle parts of the plate. The Yankees took advantage of this with a .333 BA against his fastball.

The Yankees deserve additional credit. While they failed to get a single hit with two strikes in the count, Yankee batters only allowed Scherzer to bring them to a two-strike count with 27 percent frequency.

Last year, Scherzer faced opposing batters with two strikes 34 percent of the time.

Yankee batters were able to avoid as many two-strike counts because they exhibited stronger plate discipline.

Partly due to their performance against Scherzer, they currently own the fourth-best plate discipline in the MLB based on low percentage of swings at pitches outside the strike zone.

Scherzer was also unfortunate as he allowed a higher rate of BABIP (batting average of balls in play) than usual.

His FIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding) in the game was 3.60, which isn’t bad. His xFIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding and uses projected instead of actual home run rate) was 1.84, which is excellent.

So, Scherzer was, partly, not his best. The Yankees were also the Yankees. Still, individually, as the metrics attest, Scherzer’s performance was actually pretty good.

While his ERA currently looks ugly, it provides no justification for distrust in one of baseball’s best pitchers.

Scherzer vs Blue Jay Batters

Scherzer has promising experience against active Toronto batters.

Four different ones have faced Scherzer. They have accumulated 37 at-bats in total against him and have produced four hits, which amounts to a .108 BA and .243 slugging rate.

Randal Grichuk, who’s dealing with some minor back issues, is 0-9 with five strikeouts against Scherzer. Brandon Drury is 1-for-8 with three strikeouts.

Against these guys, I would like to see a bit more first-pitch variety from Scherzer, which he has displayed in years prior. I think this variety will help generate more two-strike counts, where he is evidently so lethal.

Unlike the Yankees, the Blue Jays exhibit atrocious plate discipline. They own the sixth-worst percentage of swings at pitches outside the strike zone.

Nate Pearson

Nate Pearson is a highly-touted Blue Jay prospect — Toronto's top one and MLB Pipeline’s 23rd-highest -- who is making his first professional start.

Pearson’s primary pitch is his fastball. Its velocity remains in triple digits even in the latter stages of a game.

Overall, Washington is an above-average fastball-hitting team. However, when you restrict the statistical search to consider only high-velocity fastballs, then a different picture emerges.

Right now, the Nats own a .091 BA in 22 at-bats against the high-velo (95+ mph) fastball.

I think Pearson will be a difficult surprise to National batters for two additional reasons: his slider is also high-velo and features challenging tilt. His change-up, likewise, is unique in the way that its bottom suddenly drops out.

Since Pearson simplified his delivery, he’s walked only 2.4 batters per nine innings last year. This is a crucial point. Every pitcher who makes it to the majors has good stuff. But Pearson is distinct because he also has reliable control.

The Verdict

Scherzer is who you expect him to be: a dominant ace who will exploit Toronto’s poor plate discipline in order to generate sundry two-strike counts.

The total is at 4.5 for the first-half, which is fairly high for a Scherzer-pitched game.

While Pearson is, officially, an unknown variable. Scouting reports paint an extremely promising picture that will find justification tonight.

The juice is currently high. I recommend waiting for a lower-juice book like 5Dimes to release its odds. But keep an eye on the odds because it would be nice if you place the wager before the total drops to four.

Best Bet: First-Half Under 4.5 at -125 with Bovada

Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers
Wednesday, July 29 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Comerica Park in Detroit

Trend For Matt Boyd

Since Matt Boyd has pitched in the Motor City, he has excelled in home debuts.

In 2015, he debuted in Detroit by allowing one run in seven innings. In 2016, he threw 4.2 shutout innings. In 2017, he threw six shutout innings. In both 2018 and 2019, he allowed one run in six innings.

Comerica Park

Boyd was a good grab for the Tigers because he is very much a fly-ball pitcher, which makes him well-suited for Comerica Park. In his career, he is yielding a 34.5 percent ground ball rate, which is very low.

Mostly, Boyd relies on a fastball-slider combo. Last year and this year, both pitches made up over 80 percent of his arsenal.

Both percentage-and frequency-wise, his fastball does the most to explain his high fly ball-rate.

He likes to elevate his fastball and he gives it a good amount of spin, which gives it the appearance of rising action. Batters swing underneath his fastball, thus popping it up into the air.

Boyd vs Active Royal Batters

In this case, active Royal batters have numbers which are misleadingly high against Boyd. They are misleading because they reflect Boyd’s struggles in Kansas City and when he’s already faced the Royals multiple times in the season.

Boyd’s best games against the Royals have come in Detroit when both teams meet for the first time in the season.

In his first start against the Royals both last year and the year before, he combined to allow three runs in 13 innings.

Right now, Kansas City batters are slow to hit lefties. They are 0-for-7 against them thus far.

Danny Duffy vs Active Detroit Batters

Active Tiger batters have found very little power against Duffy, slugging .355 in 138 combined at-bats.

When Duffy has succeeded in years past against Detroit, he’s induced Tiger batters to swing at a very high percentage at pitches outside of the strike zone.

Duffy isn’t known for being a strikeout pitcher. But he earns his higher strikeout rates against Detroit lineups. So it’s good to know that, percentage-wise, the Tigers are still swinging at many would-be balls

What Duffy does is keep his pitches along the edges of the strike zone and exploit the batter’s uncertainty as to whether the pitch will land for a strike or a ball.

While the Tigers feature plenty of opposite-handed hitters, I also like that, this year, Duffy is trying to emphasize more of his curveball. Last year, right-handed opponents only slugged .323 against it and I expect more of the same.

The Verdict

With strong trends supporting Boyd and Duffy matching up well with Tiger batters, you should wager on a low-scoring first-five innings.

Best Bet: First-Half Under 5 Runs at -105 odds with Bovada

I don't like total bets but I was forced to pick them. My eyes are half-closed and i'm too tired to think. As I said in the discussion thread, I like the Reds 1H. But I was really expecting the Reds to be at +. Assume that i'll bet the Reds 1H and i'll confirm the total bets when I can think. I don't think my reasoning is good.

In case BAR stops by.... I've seen Tim wear Red Wings gear. He watches the Lions on Thanksgiving. He buys Pistons tickets (but has to sell most...I don't like Jill!). He wears a University of Michigan sweatshirt. But has he ever worn Tigers gear? Unless i'm forgetting something... maybe he's just not a baseball guy?

I was all over the under when I thought Ryu was pitching. I‘m less confident in Pearson simply because I don‘t know him. But he seems like a good kid to rely on. For a first-time starter I want surprise stuff and for a rookie in general I want control. Check on both. His stuff seems uniquely good, too. 4.5 is too high.

As for Tigers/Royals, I clearly had to do some digging to find a second total pick lol. I‘m not sure. I initially liked Dbacks/Rangers over. But Dback batters I think got their good numbers against Lynn when he wasn‘t the pitcher he seems to be now. I also don‘t see much reason for faith in Texas batters plus the new park seems to be a bit fairer for pitchers? Rangers are average vs lefties and who is Bum exactly at this point — is he Bumgarner or Bumgarner in seriously deteriorated form?

I was all over the under when I thought Ryu was pitching. I‘m less confident in Pearson simply because I don‘t know him. But he seems like a good kid to rely on. For a first-time starter I want surprise stuff and for a rookie in general I want control. Check on both. His stuff seems uniquely good, too. 4.5 is too high.

As for Tigers/Royals, I clearly had to do some digging to find a second total pick lol. I‘m not sure. I initially liked Dbacks/Rangers over. But Dback batters I think got their good numbers against Lynn when he wasn‘t the pitcher he seems to be now. I also don‘t see much reason for faith in Texas batters plus the new park seems to be a bit fairer for pitchers? Rangers are average vs lefties and who is Bum exactly at this point — is he Bumgarner or Bumgarner in seriously deteriorated form?
Like the under with Pearson. Don’t forget that bats haven’t seen him, and they aren’t hitting well right now. Dude hits triple digits on the radar if he wants but he settled down in his scrimmage after shakey first

I don't like total bets but I was forced to pick them. My eyes are half-closed and i'm too tired to think. As I said in the discussion thread, I like the Reds 1H. But I was really expecting the Reds to be at +. Assume that i'll bet the Reds 1H and i'll confirm the total bets when I can think. I don't think my reasoning is good.

I havnt looked at umps yet but I think you selected solid ones. When I did a quick glance over card last night I put Ff under next to both of these. Doesn’t mean they for sure end up being plays but think it best choice in both these games.

Not as high on the kc/det under. Don’t hate it but pass for me on that one, I used merrifield and solar in few dfs contest. Solar just in big tourney, merrifield in everything, he ripping the cover off ball and has sick numbers vs Boyd!! With you on the jays/nats. Gl tonight.

I wish now i hadn‘t overthought the Dbacks/Rangers but I probably would have done 1H and lost, anyways.

Back