Wednesday/Thursday NBA Playoffs Discussion

redbearde

Pretty much a regular
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width=540 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA PLAYOFFS - SECOND ROUND
Wednesday, May 6th (ORL, HOU 1-0)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>05/06
5:05p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>711
712</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> ORLANDO
BOSTON</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>188
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>188
3½ </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>188
4 </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>187½
3½ </TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>05/06
7:35p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>713
714</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> HOUSTON
LA LAKERS</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>193
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>192½
9½ </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>192½
9½ </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>192½
9½ </TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA PLAYOFFS - SECOND ROUND
Thursday, May 7th (CLE 1-0)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>05/07
5:05p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>715
716</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> ATLANTA
CLEVELAND</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone have stats on 8+ faves that lose game 1, how they do in game 2?
a couple that come to mind recently are- boston and orlando in rd 1: 0-2
last yr: Detroit: covered game 2
yr before: SA and Dallas: went 1-1

if anyone can do a search on this, it would be really appreciated. On one hand, you'd expect the better team to bounceback and take HCA back convincingly. On the other hand, maybe the underdog is really just a better matchup to this team, and adding more pts only adds more value on the dog

I want to ride Houston here again as I fully expect an LA W, but a DD one? Houston simply outplayed LA in game 1 and to bet on a DD win bounceback seems unlikely. Houston already showed they'll still bring the fight to try to get game 2 in the portland game. LA is pretty vulnerable right now not covering 4 of their last 5, being 1 shot away from that being 5 of 6.

Unless Bynum magically regains form, I think it will take just insane shooting for LA to be able to cover this 10 as I dont think Houston folds

SF,

i know HOU came out and covered game 2 after winning game 1 as a dog in the previous series, but they weren't sizable dogs like they are in this series.

...i really think the Lakeshow wins by 25 tomorrow and I can see Dallas winning also

LA hasn't shown vengeance all season. In revenge games, in games off losses, etc. the dont bring the intensity you'd expect to cover their inflated lines

4-6 ATS revenging a loss vs an opponent
7-11 ATS off a loss

another thing that makes little sense to me was that they lowered the total but raised the line. Raising the line was an obvious move, home team loses game 1, you hang a pt higher, and you can argue the total going down was a product of the 1st game going under (it was a lot closer than the final indicated), however, the 1st game went under because Houston was able to dictate their pace and play defensive basketball. There should be correlation bw Houston- under and LA-over in that whoever dictates the pace should win and cover. However, by moving the lines in opposite directions would imply that they expect a similar game to last- admitting they hung too high of a number in game 1 and thus adjusting it anticipating that the low possession games is what to expect. How often do you see a favorite (esp an offensive minded one like LA) get a higher line and see the total decline (we might see it occasionally with defensive teams like Clev expecting a blowout in cleveland fashion), but if this game is to go in LA's fashion then they'll put up 110 pts and this total will soar. I'm not double checking what I wrote, and feel like I was rambling. Just typing thoughts- coherent or not

I really want to take Dallas game 3, but Denver lost their last game 3 with lack of focus, so I'd imagine they address it

I really want to take Dallas game 3, but Denver lost their last game 3 with lack of focus, so I'd imagine they address it

Leaning the same way too but be careful since Denver is one of two teams that have not lost a spread in the playoffs. The other one is the Cavs.

LAKERS

It was a rude awakening for the Lakers on Monday night at Staples Center: The home-court advantage they worked all regular season to earn in decisive fashion over the rest of the Western Conference was taken away by the Houston Rockets.
Houston beat the Lakers in Game 1 of their semifinal series, meaning the Lakers will have to win at least one game in Houston to win this series most everyone favored them to take.
"It is one game," Kobe Bryant said. "Everybody is disappointed that we lost, and so are we, but there is nothing much that we can do about it now. We are a good road team. We believe that we can win anywhere. We just have to bounce back Wednesday and go from there."
Bryant didn't have great success against Houston's Shane Battier and a paint area crowded with Rockets help defenders. He shot 14-of-31 from the field to get 32 points, and Houston was clearly thrilled with the results.
"We did a great job of team defense," Battier said. "Every time he came up with a pick-and-roll, we had a guy there to make him think about passing the ball."
With Battier doing most of the defensive work against Bryant, Houston's Ron Artest had a great offensive game: 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting and seven assists against two turnovers.
ROCKETS 100, LAKERS 92: The much-touted Lakers bench, led by occasional starter Lamar Odom, only outscored Houston's bench, 18-16, despite Rockets reserve Von Wafer going scoreless. Odom had just nine points and five rebounds in 31 minutes.
NOTES, QUOTES
—The Lakers shot 2-for-18 from three-point range in their Game 1 loss to Houston on Monday night. Kobe Bryant led the parade of misses with just one three-pointer in seven attempts.
—Lakers coach Phil Jackson went back to Andrew Bynum in the starting lineup, shifting Lamar Odom back to a reserve role, in an attempt to match up better with Rockets center Yao Ming. But Bynum got two quick fouls Monday night and played just 15 minutes.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "We just blew some defensive assignments at key moments." — Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, on the Game 1 loss to Houston.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Derek Fisher, Shooting guard Kobe Bryant, Small forward Trevor Ariza, Power forward Pau Gasol, Center Andrew Bynum. Bench — Forward Lamar Odom, Forward Luke Walton, Guard Sasha Vujacic, Guard Shannon Brown, Guard Jordan Farmar, Forward Josh Powell, Center DJ Mbenga.
PLAYER NOTES:
—F Luke Walton sat out Game 1 of the Houston series with a sore left ankle but has made good progress and could play soon.
—C DJ Mbenga was on the Lakers' active roster for the opener against the Rockets, and Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he expects Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Mbenga all to have opportunities to defend Yao Ming.
—G Jordan Farmar got back into game action after sitting out the final two games of the Utah series, playing three minutes in the third quarter of Game 1 against Houston and making a three-point shot.

ROCKETS

The Rockets had led by as much as nine points, but with 8-1/2 minutes left, the lead was gone, the Lakers led and the Rockets had another reminder of where their four regular-season meetings against the Lakers had gone awry.
In the fourth quarters of all four of their games, the Lakers outscored the Rockets by an average of 12 points per game, sweeping the season series.
"We have to know it's coming in the fourth quarter and really (have to) be ready for it," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "They're all the same. They really took it to us every fourth quarter. We were in every game at the end of three (quarters) and in the fourth quarter, they dominated. They really took it up a notch. Usually, in all four games Kobe (Bryant) really got aggressive.
"They turned up their defense, Kobe got very aggressive offensively. That's a tough combination. We have to learn from that, understand what happened to us. Our team feels we can play with any team we play, but we know we have to play better than we did in the Portland series."
They knew it was coming and it did. But this time, they responded. Ron Artest muscled in a jumper through a Sasha Vujacic foul for a three-point play and Yao Ming hit a 19-footer. When Yao returned after bruising his left knee and with the Lakers within four, he hit a 20-footer and six-consecutive free throws, and the Rockets built their lead to 11.
"Every game we played against the Lakers this year, we struggled in the fourth quarter to get some things done and we know that is a point of emphasis for us," Artest said. "We understand that's been a point of strength for them, so it's up to us to be better in the fourth quarter.
"If we do that, we're going to find ourselves in opportunities where the game is close like (it was on Monday night). And when you're on the road and you have a chance to win, it's a special place to be. So we took full advantage of that opportunity in Game 1."
ROCKETS 100, LAKERS 92: The Rockets did all the things they wanted and knew they had to do. All that was still not enough. The Rockets knew they could not stop Kobe Bryant, but they wanted him to be less efficient. They wanted to get Yao Ming the touches they could not in the Portland series. They wanted to defend the three-point arc, and slow the Lakers' fast break. They wanted to start quickly and not play from behind. They did all that, but with 8-1/2 minutes left, they trailed by one. That's when they had to check off the top item on their to-do list. They had to control the game down the stretch the way the Lakers had against them, and they did that, too. The Rockets outscored the Lakers, 24-15, in the final eight minutes, with many of the Lakers' points coming after the Rockets pushed their lead to 11 with less than two minutes left. With Yao Ming coming back from a bruised knee and the Rockets getting a combined 40 points from guards Ron Artest and Aaron Brooks, the Rockets took a 1-0 series lead and found they could do the things they knew they would have to do to compete in the series.
NOTES, QUOTES
—Yao Ming crumbled immediately to the floor, grabbing his left knee and grimacing in pain after colliding with Kobe Bryant. He was helped off the court and to the hallway that leads to the Staples Center visitor's locker room, but he never made it that far.
He stretched for a few minutes, and then returned to the court, scoring eight points in the final four minutes after he came back.
"I felt it would be gone quick," Yao said of the pain. "It was fine, nothing to worry about. When I get a hit, I knew I could come back. I just felt so sore at the moment. I had that before. I felt I just needed a minute, maybe two minutes so the soreness could go away and I could come back to play. I just felt so bad at that moment. But I knew I was fine."
—Von Wafer, the Rockets' leading scorer against the Lakers in the regular season, struggled in Game 1. He missed his two shots and had two turnovers, playing just eight minutes.
His difficulties, however, were not because he was pressing against the team that drafted him.
"I don't think about them cutting me," Wafer said. "They gave me my first shot. I love that organization. I love everybody, Mr. (Jerry) Buss, everybody. They gave me my chance. Kobe (Bryant) is my guy. He's my favorite player. I look up to him... (but) I'm going to look at him as just another guy with a jersey on that can play really good basketball.
"He told me he was proud of me. That's big coming from a guy you look up to. It doesn't get any bigger than that."
QUOTE TO NOTE: "Honestly, the first thing we said when we came into the locker room was 'OK, good job, guys. Now, let's get a good Game 2, too." — Shane Battier.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Aaron Brooks, Shooting guard Ron Artest, Small forward Shane Battier, Power forward Luis Scola, Center Yao Ming. Bench — Guard Kyle Lowry, Guard Von Wafer, Forward Carl Landry, Center-Forward Chuck Hayes.
PLAYER NOTES:
—C Yao Ming scored 28 points, his most of this postseason, but the last eight were the most crucial. Coming back after he left the floor following a painful collision of knees with Kobe Bryant, Yao hit a 20 footer and six-consecutive free throws to help ice the win. He made 9-of-17 shots and all 10 of his free throws, adding 10 rebounds and two blocked shots.
—G Aaron Brooks scored 14 of his 19 points in the second half, providing a much-needed jolt of offense when the Lakers had made a third-quarter run. He made 7-of-14 shots, and three of those misses were heaves rushed to beat the shot clock or third-quarter buzzer, with two coming from the backcourt.
—G Ron Artest set an early tone for the second-consecutive game, following his 27 points in Game 6 of the Portland series with 21 in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals. He made 8-of-15 shots, half of his six three-pointers and led the Rockets with seven assists.

CELTS

With just one day off between Game 7 against Chicago and the series opener with Orlando, the Celtics are expected to be a fatigued team in this series. But Doc Rivers is trying to combat that by ignoring it.
"We just don't talk about it," Rivers said. "We don't care one way or the other. You've still got to play the game. We'll find out (as the series goes along), but I think we're fine."
After the Game 1 loss to the Magic, he added, "There was no fatigue. I don't believe in that. We had a whole day off. We (aren't) making (any) excuses. There was no fatigue. We played flat. We played with no energy in the first half, but it wasn't the fatigue factor."
Paul Pierce insisted he is fine.
"(I'm not) tired," he said. "I sleep all day and play basketball at night. How can I be tired?"
But after averaging 44:27 over the seven games against Chicago, Pierce did admit it was a draining set.
He called it "probably the most mentally tough series I've been through. Of course you're going to have your emotional highs and lows, but when you lose that game and you go home, I thought some of my lows were a little too low. You're always thing back to that one little thing, that if made it, you probably could have won the game. I haven't (taken) it this hard in a while in a playoff series."
The Celtics are braced for more of the same as the series moves to Game 2 Wednesday.
"It's going to be tough," Pierce said. "Definitely we've got our work cut out for us, but, hey, we still are the champs until somebody knocks us off."
CELTICS 90, MAGIC 95: The Celtics staged a 25-point comeback in Game 1 Monday night in Boston. Unfortunately for them, they trailed by 28 before getting their game in gear.
Paul Pierce had 23 points, but Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo each shot 2-for-12 from the floor, while the Magic was getting 18 points from Rashard Lewis and 16 points and 22 rebounds from Dwight Howard.
The Celtics did manage to make it a three-point game in the final minute, but they could never fully climb out of the hole.
"We can't wait until we're down 25, 25 to wake up," said Pierce. "It's like a boxing match and you get hit with a hook and an uppercut and then you decide to fight. We can't do that. We've got to take the fight to them from the start."
The start was not good for the Celtics. They were behind by five points after the first quarter and by 18 at the half.
NOTES, QUOTES
—Stephon Marbury believes he has turned a corner with the Celtics. The night before Game 7 against the Bulls, he called Doc Rivers and said, "Coach, you can lean on me."
"I said, 'Good, because I'm going to need you," Rivers related. "What I told Steph, I told all the guys on the bench. I kept telling guys like Mikki Moore to keep your head in this series because the time's going to come for you."
Marbury, who had eight points Monday, acknowledged it's been tough for him since he joined the Celtics.
"This has been difficult for me," he said. "This isn't my style of play. I'm not used to playing this way, and it took me time to make an adjustment. It's been a humbling experience. Having this opportunity means the world to me, and I wanted to let him know that I was ready for Game 7, that I was ready to do what was needed off the bench."
—It didn't get much notice at the time, but Kendrick Perkins joined an exclusive club with his performance in Game 5 against Chicago.
Perkins played 48 minutes in the overtime win and did not commit a single foul. The only other starting centers in NBA playoff history to accomplish that feat are Bill Russell (twice) and Wilt Chamberlain (five times).
Perkins had 16 points, 19 rebounds and seven blocks in that game.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's great to talk about, but we still lost the game." — Doc Rivers, on the Celtics' comeback.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Rajon Rondo, Shooting guard Ray Allen, Small forward Paul Pierce, Power forward Glen Davis, Center Kendrick Perkins. Bench — Guard Eddie House, Guard-Forward Tony Allen, Forward Brian Scalabrine, Center Mikki Moore, Guard Stephon Marbury.
PLAYER NOTES:
—F Brian Scalabrine was the main defender on Rashard Lewis when he had just four of his 18 points in the second half. Glen Davis was the main victim earlier. Scalabrine also found time to score 10 points, hitting two of three treys.
—G Ray Allen doesn't like Game Ones. He went 1-for-12 (0-for-6 on treys) in the opener against the Bulls and 2-for-12 from the floor (1-for-7 on treys) Monday against the Magic.
—G Rajon Rondo averaged 2.1 turnovers in the Chicago series. He committed seven in Game 1 against Orlando.

MAGIC

Forget about their late-game fade. The Magic now have the home-court advantage.
The Magic will start Game 2 in Boston Wednesday night knowing they just need to win their three home games to beat the Celtics and advance into the Eastern Conference final.
And that's a good feeling.
The Magic blew a 28-point lead and let the Celtics climb to within three in the final minute, but they still fought off any disaster.
The Magic haven't been past the second round of the playoffs since Shaquille O'Neal left for the Lakers in 1996.
They made one thing clear during Game 1. They don't fear the defending champion Celtics or the mystique that comes along with them.
The Magic split with the Celtics during the regular season, catching them Monday when they obviously weren't ready to play. The Celtics had just finished a grueling, seven-game series against the Chicago Bulls.
If the Magic can muster the momentum to win Game 2 in Boston, this series could end before the Celtics come back to Boston next week.
The winner is likely to play Cleveland in the conference final, but the Cavs first have to get past the Atlanta Hawks.
The Magic beat the Philadelphia 76ers in the first round after falling behind 2-1. They closed that series by dominating the Sixers in Game 6 when Dwight Howard didn't play because of a one-game suspension.
MAGIC 95, CELTICS 90: Rashard Lewis had 18 points and Dwight Howard had 22 rebounds as the Magic won Game 1 against the Boston Celtics. The Magic raced to a 28-point lead early in the third, but they quit playing too early and let the Celtics back into the game. The Magic never lost the lead, but they certainly were nervous when the Celtics closed to within three in the final minute. Mickael Pietrus had 17 points in a reserve role behind J.J. Redick.
NOTES, QUOTES
—The Magic are feeling pretty good about general manager Otis Smith, who finished third in the NBA Executive of the Year balloting. Smith received six of the 30 first-place votes.
—Magic coach Stan Van Gundy scoffed at all the pre-series talk about the mystique surrounding the Boston Celtics. He said that most of today's NBA players don't even remember when the Celtics were so dominating. They won their 17th NBA title last season. "For opposing players now, I don't think the Celtic mystique carries much sway," Van Gundy said.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "We just got complacent," — Magic center Dwight Howard, after his team let a 28-point lead wilt to three.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Rafer Alston, Shooting guard J.J. Redick, Small forward Hedo Turkoglu, Power forward Rashard Lewis, Center Dwight Howard. Bench — Guard Mickael Pietrus, Guard Anthony Johnson, Center/Forward Tony Battie,
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Courtney Lee won't play in Game 2 because of the surgery to repair his fractured sinus cavity. He didn't travel with the team to Boston for Game 1. He has been cleared, though, to play later in the series.
—F Rashard Lewis picked up right where he left off in the Game 6 clincher against Philadelphia. He was huge in the victory, and he started against Boston by scoring 12 points in the first quarter. He finished with 18. With Dwight Howard back, he didn't spend as much time in the low post.
—G J.J. Redick held his own in the matchup with Ray Allen, which is the one the Magic fear the most. Allen had only nine points and Redick had 12.
MEDICAL WATCH:
— G Courtney Lee is expected to be available to play in Game 3 of the Magic-Celtics series, according to published reports. Lee would likely have to wear a protective mask upon his return.
—F Hedo Turkoglu (sprained left ankle) is playing again but he has been slow to regain his form.
—G Jameer Nelson (torn right labrum) is out for the season after surgery.

We're about to find out if the Lakers are always on cruise control and only wake up when they feel challenged theory is valid or not.

Kobe looks tired. Very tired. He's played a lot of basketball the past couple years. Fisher looks about 45 years old. Gasol looks lost. Odom is a baller but he can't make FTs. Sasha seems more interested in picking fights out there than he does winning the game. Ariza is a regular season player. Bynum is dead weight. Man. They better wake the fuck up. These ain't your granddaddy's Houston Rockets (aka the T-Mac teams). This team is focused, complete, and not afraid.

I'm rooting like hell for Houston these playoffs. They're a team I can get emotionally attached to, like Boston last year.

would love to see Denver vs Cleveland in the finals.

Cleveland would win in 5, if they played the lakers imho.

Barkley made a few good points the other day.

Lakers have been giving up leads on a regular basis and the Rockets made Kobe a volume shooter in game 1.
Cavs are doing what contenders should be doing and putting teams away.
Denver probably playing the best ball right now. They let up in game 3 vs. Hornets and learned from their mistake to crush them by 50 in game 4.

Denver has played near-flawless ball for sure. I'm still a huge skeptic tho.

Dallas just matches up poorly and has made Denver look much better than they really are.
Nene is doing whatever the hell he wants and JKidd is a non factor. The loss of Howard is huge because aside from Dirk, he was the only other guy that could give the Mavs fits.

Nowitzki is just gassed by the time the 4th Q rolls around that the Mavs just fade.

Cant wait to get + $$ on the Rox in the WCF against the Nuggs.

Bynum is saying his knee is still bothering him.

Lakers center Andrew Bynum admitted on Tuesday that he's not at full strength yet, something that has been obvious to those who follow his game. "It's just not ready," Bynum said of the knee he injured back in January. "I'm probably about 85-90 percent."
Bynum said that he isn't feeling any pain or soreness, but he doesn't feel the same strength in the knee.
"I just think it's a timing thing; I just need more time to get it stronger," he said.

Sounds like Bynum isn't a happy camper....

Andrew Bynum said on Tuesday that his knee feels "85, 90" percent healthy. He also acknowledged that foul trouble has been limiting his playing time.
Bynum went on to say that coach Phil Jackson's "comfort zone" is using Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom in the frontcourt late in games.
Jackson, for his part, said Bynum needs to focus on rebounding and denying entry passes to Yao Ming.

i'm still on the denver-isn't-that-good bandwagon.

...i think last year's Celtics would beat them by 20, but of course that's not relevant

Back