CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Best MLB Player Props for May 31: Braxton Garrett to Lead Miami Past San Diego

Picks Summary

• Braxton Garrett under 2.5 total earned runs allowed at -143 with BetMGM
  • James Paxton over 2.5 total earned runs allowed at +110 with BetMGM
  • George Kirby over 2.5 total earned runs allowed at +105 with BetMGM

San Diego Padres vs. Miami Marlins
Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 6:40 p.m. ET at 6:40 p.m. ET at loanDepot park in Miami

Braxton Garrett

Miami starts Braxton Garrett today.

Garrett enjoys great pitching form: he has allowed a combined total of three earned runs in his last three starts.

This trend is particularly impressive because he had to pitch in super hitters-friendly Coors Field and against a Reds' team that, in terms of slugging rate against his pitches from lefties, matches up better against him than his opponent today.

Garrett's arsenal is characterized by significant variety in that he relies on six different pitches.

He throws a slider, sinker, cutter, curveball, fastball, and changeup.

Looking at his season-long stats, he doesn't throw a single pitch more than 29.6 percent of the time, and he throws every pitch over seven percent of the time.

This fact helps keep batters guessing as to which pitch he will throw. He is unpredictable.

Garrett's unpredictability is pretty consistent from an outing-to-outing basis.

While he will make adjustments in terms of how frequently he features given pitches, these adjustments are rather minor.

Another virtue of Garrett's is the extensive vertical and/or horizontal movement of his pitches.

He likes to locate his pitches along the borders of the strike zone, using the movement of his pitches to toy with the batter's discernment of whether they will land in or outside the strike zone.

The Pick

Garrett's outlook is positive because of his strong form.

He is especially reliable today given his outlook specifically against San Diego's biggest-name hitters.

Juan Soto is not dangerous against left-handed pitchers.

Fernando Tatis has lately only been good for maybe one hit per game.

Manny Machado bats .200 in his career against Garrett.

Xander Bogaerts hasn't produced an extra-base hit in over a week.

San Diego lacks the resources to frighten especially an in-form Garrett.

Best Bet: Braxton Garrett under 2.5 total earned runs allowed at -143 with BetMGM

Cincinnati Reds vs. Boston Red Sox
Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Fenway Park in Boston

James Paxton

Boston starts James Paxton today.

While people generally think highly of Paxton, he has clearly declined from his best version of himself around 2017.

At that time, he was allowing hard contact approximately 30 percent of the time.

Currently, opponents are achieving hard contact against over half of his pitches.

One pitch that he is struggling tremendously with is his fastball.

This struggle is meaningful because the fastball is his favorite pitch to throw.

He throws it 60.1 percent of the time, so without his fastball he really lacks a good pitch to rely on.

Further evidence of his reliance on this pitch is in the fact that he throws it even more frequently when batters get ahead of the count in which case he is more desperate to throw a strike.

Opponents are hitting .281 and slugging .594 against it.

While its velocity is decent, its spin rate is subpar relative to other fastballs that other pitches throw.

Most problematically, he often leaves this pitch in the middle or upper-middle parts of the strike zone where batters tend to do greater damage.

He does mix in a few other pitches, but not often enough to mitigate the problems generated by the vulnerability of his fastball.

While he does like to mix in these other pitches more often when he gets batters to a 0-2, 1-2, or 2-2 count, he tends to fail to get batters into this position because they'll have already hit his fastball.

The Pick

The Reds are in a great spot today because they are hitting the ball extremely well as a team.

They have scored eight or nine runs in four straight games.

Their outlook specifically today is positive because they rank sixth in slugging .513 against Paxton's favorite pitches from lefties.

Best Bet: Paxton over 2.5 total earned runs allowed at +110 with BetMGM

New York Yankees vs. Seattle Mariners
Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 9:40 p.m. ET at T-Mobile Park in Seattle

Who Starts for the Mariners?

Seattle starts George Kirby tonight.

The over/under for Kirby's total runs allowed today is 2.5.

For the "over" to hit, we don't need him to pitch nearly as poorly as he did in his last start -- most recently, he allowed seven runs in 4.2 innings to Pittsburgh.

While the extent to which he struggled in this start was exceptional, his struggles were in a critical way representative of alarming trends.

Specifically, he has failed to approach his season-long average of soft contact allowed.

Batters are achieving more hard contact against his pitches.

Part of this tendency lends credence to the idea that he had been overachieving.

His arsenal really does not look impressive.

While his velocity is pretty good, his spin rate and movement generally are not.

Moreover, his locational tendencies are horrible.

Heat maps show that he often leaves his pitches in the middle of the strike zone where batters tend to do greater damage.

This is a pitcher who batters can reliably succeed against.

The Pick

The matchup is also important to consider.

Kirby has allowed three or more runs against three of the four teams that rank top-12 against his pitches from righties.

This fact bodes well for a Yankees' group that ranks fifth in slugging against his pitches from righties.

While the Red Sox form the one exception, they were suffering a cold streak when Kirby faced them.

New York, however, is sizzling.

The Yankees have scored ten runs in three straight games.

Best Bet: George Kirby over 2.5 total earned runs allowed at +105 with BetMGM

I can’t help but wonder if you have a bit of recency bias w paxton? We were both raving about him before last start how he looked a lot like the guy who pitched in Seattle, then he got blown up by laa and your tone has changed drastically! I dunno if I’m ready to bail over one start against a team that was pretty hot when he faced them? I gotta be more wait and see here, Cincy lineup isn’t all that great, I kinda lean ov 5.5 k’s with him but might just watch this start.

I can’t help but wonder if you have a bit of recency bias w paxton? We were both raving about him before last start how he looked a lot like the guy who pitched in Seattle, then he got blown up by laa and your tone has changed drastically! I dunno if I’m ready to bail over one start against a team that was pretty hot when he faced them? I gotta be more wait and see here, Cincy lineup isn’t all that great, I kinda lean ov 5.5 k’s with him but might just watch this start.
Not recency bias. Just a matter of trying to assess him on the basis of so few starts. I think I was being premature, but I‘m quite possibly being premature again! I think the Reds seem to match up well against him tho, and they’re sure hitting the ball well right now. I remember thinking their outlook seemed better than Snell‘s opponent and Weaver‘s opponent (altho Weaver odds weren’t available)

Not recency bias. Just a matter of trying to assess him on the basis of so few starts. I think I was being premature, but I‘m quite possibly being premature again! I think the Reds seem to match up well against him tho, and they’re sure hitting the ball well right now. I remember thinking their outlook seemed better than Snell‘s opponent and Weaver‘s opponent (altho Weaver odds weren’t available)

They killed me yestersy, they had Bello pitch count thru the roof after 2 innings, 1st inning he had every hitter down 1-2 and every one battled back to get the count full and none struck out! I should maybe give them a little more credit. I’m just not sure on paxton yet, there are things I like, I agree it tough either way with so few starts. Just a wait and see for me I think.

Rangers vs Tigers

Dunning has been pitching very well lately. Over his last three starts he’s 2-0 with just 4 earned in 17.2 innings on 18 hits and 4 walks total.

Good bounce-back spot for them. I‘m sure they‘ll buckle down and be motivated. I just think the matchups look tough
Yanks strike out a ton. All or nothing team and I think Kirby has the stuff to confuse the hell out of them. Also bonus that it's a 9:30 Eastern start for them

What's funny is I have no problem chasing Gilbert/Kirby this series

Oh I get it. I normally don’t have a problem playing either but the lineup yanks been putting out not as heavy on the swing and miss amd they just ripping the cover off ball and taking really good at bats these past 3-4 games. I dunno, I gotta think more on that game. I havnt looked real close yet

Back