Wednesday Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Best MLB Parlay Picks Today

San Diego Padres vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 3:40 p.m. ET at Chase Field in Phoenix

Yu Darvish

One reason why San Diego is too strongly favored in this match-up is today's outlook for Padre starter Yu Darvish.

My skepticism regarding Darvish's chances today doesn't have anything to do with his health.

He returned from a back injury to collect the loss and give up four earned runs in six innings in his last start, which came against the Dodgers.

In that game, Dodger hitters made hard contact on his pitches over 40 percent of the time.

Darvish vs. Arizona Batters

History explains why Darvish's chances today look dim. In four career starts in Arizona's Chase Field, he yields a 5.06 ERA.

Darvish's historical struggles in Chase Field are reflected in the success that active Diamondback batters have achieved against him.

In a combined total of 91 career at-bats, Arizona hitters own a .286 BA and .527 slugging rate.

Christian Walker, for example, is 5-for-15 (.333) with a .600 slugging rate in his career against Darvish. He has teammates with even stronger career numbers when facing Darvish.

Arizona's Starter

I have seen reports that, for Arizona, Taylor Widener is starting. I have also seen reports that Luke Weaver is starting.

I am not sure which is correct, but I like either pitcher to perform well today.

Widener owns strong form: he's allowed two earned runs or fewer in each of his last four starts.

Weaver matches up well against Padre batters with his fastball and change-up, both of which combine to make up 92.2 percent of his pitching arsenal.

Against these pitches combined from righties, San Diego ranks 18th in slugging.

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Cincinnati Reds
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 6:40 p.m. ET at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati

J.A. Happ

One might wonder why I dislike Happ when I just talked about the importance of form and Happ's recent starts have been strong.

It hardly seems reasonable to attach meaningful value to Happ's most recent starts because three of his last four starts came against the lowly Pirates, which easily rank dead-last in runs per game.

This evening, he faces a Red team that ranks 23 spots higher in the same category.

Happ vs. Red Batters

Happ's career numbers in Cincinnati reflect the increased quality of his opposition today and the difficulty that he has had historically in navigating this opposition in its venue.

In five career starts in Cincinnati, Happ suffers a 7.52 ERA.

As one would expect, active Red batters enjoy a .326 BA and .565 slugging rate in 92 collective at-bats against Happ.

Nick Castellanos and Joey Votto own the bulk of those at-bats. Each one hits over .420 and slugs over .690 in his career against Happ. Other Red batters own promising numbers in fewer at-bats with Happ on the mound.

Sonny Gray vs. Cardinal Batters

Sonny Gray has looked his worst this season when facing St. Louis.

On April 23, in St. Louis, Cardinal batters produced five earned runs in 3.2 innings against Gray.

Most recently, on July 25, Gray allowed eight earned runs in 3.1 innings at home against the Cards.

Cardinal success against Gray extends beyond this season, as evident in the career batting numbers of St. Louis players against him.

In a combined total of 78 at-bats, St. Louis hits .269 and slugs .500 against Gray. Five different Cardinal hitters slug well over .600 in at least five career at-bats when Gray is on the mound.

Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida

Chris Sale Is Back

Boston is glad to have its star pitcher, Chris Sale, back in the rotation.

Sale has accrued three starts so far. He's allowed a combined total of four runs in those three starts.

Sale vs. Tampa Bay Batters

The Trop is a great venue for Sale to continue his strong form in.

A lot of lefty pitchers do rather well in Tampa Bay and Sale is no exception here.

In 10 career starts in Tampa Bay's Tropicana Field, Sale boasts a 2.01 ERA.

Mike Zunino is an example of a Ray batter who struggles versus Sale. Zunino is 0-for-14 in his career against the Boston southpaw.

Support for Sale

Boston hitters have not seen much of Tampa Bay starter Drew Rasmussen.

But, they are happily familiar with the type of stuff that Rasmussen has to offer.

Rasmussen primarily throws a fastball-slider combo. Both pitches combine to make up over 95 percent of his arsenal.

Boston ranks sixth in slugging against these pitches combined from righties.

The Verdict

Arizona is a live dog behind a favorable pitching match-up. Both lineups are in a strong position in Cincinnati (Game 2 of doubleheader). Finally, Boston looks for its fourth straight easy win in games where Sale is on the mound.

Best Bet: Parlay Diamondbacks First-Half ML at +170; Cardinals/Reds First-Half Over at 5 at -110; Red Sox First-Half ML at -130 at +812 odds with Bovada

Back