Weasels vs good humans

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Alright , subject came up while discussing college football with my best friend the other day and it came up again tonight while i was contemplating howard schnellenberger. So thought this might be worth a thread.

Which coaches will run it up and which coaches will shut it down ??

Mike Leach obviously likes to be a gentleman and not embarrass his opponents , usually shutting down his offense early in the second quarter. He will run the ball on basic dive plays and use a majority of the play clock when he has a 24 point lead with 3 minutes to go. OR NOT !! Maybe he is actually a weasel.

Alright gang , who can we count on as a favorite to keep pouring it on ?? Which coaches are better humans and shut it down, thereby helping our big dogs ?

Mangino at Kansas like to run it up, to my understanding. Whoever Texas Tech's coach is.

<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%"><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/09/01*</TD><TD>6:00 p.m.</TD><TD>CMU</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Memorial StadiumLawrence, KS</TD><TD></TD><TD>W 52-7 </TD><TD align=middle>46,815</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/09/08*</TD><TD>6:00 p.m.</TD><TD>Southeastern Louisiana</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Memorial Stadium • Lawrence, KS</TD><TD></TD><TD>W 62-0 </TD><TD align=middle>43,914</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/09/15*</TD><TD>6:00 p.m.</TD><TD>Toledo</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Memorial Stadium • Lawrence, KS</TD><TD></TD><TD>W 45-13 </TD><TD align=middle>48,112</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/09/22*</TD><TD>6:00 p.m.</TD><TD>Florida International</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Memorial Stadium • Lawrence, KS</TD><TD></TD><TD>W 55-3 </TD><TD align=middle>42,134</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/10/06</TD><TD>11:00 a.m.</TD><TD>at Kansas State</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Bill Snyder Family Football StadiumManhattan, KS</TD><TD>FSN Midwest</TD><TD>W 30-24 </TD><TD align=middle>50,924</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/10/13</TD><TD>11:30 a.m.</TD><TD>Baylor</TD><TD align=middle>#20</TD><TD>Memorial Stadium • Lawrence, KS</TD><TD>FCS Central</TD><TD>W 58-10 </TD><TD align=middle>43,556</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/10/20</TD><TD>4:30 p.m.</TD><TD>at Colorado</TD><TD align=middle>#15</TD><TD>Folsom FieldBoulder, CO</TD><TD>ESPN</TD><TD>W 19-14 </TD><TD align=middle>51,940</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/10/27</TD><TD>6:00 p.m.</TD><TD>at Texas A&M</TD><TD align=middle>#10</TD><TD>Kyle FieldCollege Station, TX</TD><TD>ESPN2</TD><TD>W 19-11 </TD><TD align=middle>85,341</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/11/03†</TD><TD>11:30 a.m.</TD><TD>Nebraska</TD><TD align=middle>#8</TD><TD>Memorial Stadium • Lawrence, KS</TD><TD>FSN</TD><TD>W 76-39 </TD><TD align=middle>51,910</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/11/10</TD><TD>7:00 p.m.</TD><TD>at Oklahoma State</TD><TD align=middle>#5</TD><TD>Boone Pickens StadiumStillwater, OK</TD><TD>ABC</TD><TD>W 43-28 </TD><TD align=middle>39,848</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2007/11/17</TD><TD>2:30 p.m.</TD><TD>Iowa State</TD><TD align=middle>#4</TD><TD>Memorial Stadium • Lawrence, KS</TD><TD>ABC</TD><TD>W 45-7 </TD><TD align=middle>51,050</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffe6e6"><TD>2007/11/24</TD><TD>7:00 p.m.</TD><TD>vs. #4 Missouri</TD><TD align=middle>#2</TD><TD>Arrowhead StadiumKansas City, MO (Border Showdown)</TD><TD>ABC</TD><TD>L 36-28 </TD><TD align=middle>80,537</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=8>Postseason</TH></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d8ffeb"><TD>2008/01/03*</TD><TD>7:15 p.m.</TD><TD>vs. #5 Virginia Tech</TD><TD align=middle>#8</TD><TD>Dolphin StadiumMiami Gardens, FL (FedEx Orange Bowl)</TD><TD>FOX</TD><TD>W 24-21 </TD><TD align=middle>74,111 <SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1</SUP></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This is Kansas' 2007 stats. Look when they win how wide of a margin it is a majority of the time. And how high some of the point totals are. Kansas and the Over was sweet last year.

As long as you don't gurantee a win versus Utah you won't see this:

82d76ut.png

In general I'd say that Whittingham will do anything he can to prove that he is NOT the type of coach to run it up this year. So when the Utes play Utah State and Weber State this year, both in state schools who the Utes have no prior problems with, don't expect extremely lopsided scores.

Glenn looks appreciative of the onside kick up 43 though.

i have more kansas proof. getting it together.

Glenn looks appreciative of the onside kick up 43 though.

i have more kansas proof. getting it together.

A rivalry was born that day. It carried over in the CBB season as Wyoming was up big late in the game and ran an alley-oop play at the buzzer when they could have easily ran out the clock. Boylen (utah cbb coach) was furious and I have no doubt that Utah would run up the score again this year if presented the opportunity.

This is based on opinion, watching the games, personal character, and past scores:

Coaches that will run it up: (in my opinion)

Rich Brooks, Kentucky - No real proof here as the defense haven't been good enough to consistently blow teams away, but I think he would given the opportunity. Maybe lindetrain could give us a better idea here.

Les Miles, LSU - Based on the scores over the past couple of seasons.

Bobby Petrino, Arkansas - Based on his history at Louisville.

Joe Tiller, Purdue - Again, he hasn't had the defense to consistently do this over the past couple seasons, but the history is there. 59-7 over Arizona in 2003, 51-0 over Syracuse in 2004, 59-7 over Ball St. in 2004, 52-6 over E. Illinois last year, etc.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma - He has demonstrated this several times over the years.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech - No need to explain.

Mack Brown, Texas - No nearly as much as some of the others, but the potential is there.

Mark Mangino, Kansas - Mentioned above.

Dan Hawkins, Colorado - He hasn't had much of a chance to do this in Colorado, but his time at Boise St. shows that he is capable of running it up.

Tommy Bowden, Clemson - Look at 2006 or last year's game against Central Michigan.

Greg Schiano, Rutgers - There is not a whole lot of evidence out there to support this, but he did call three timeouts in an attempt to get the ball back late in the first half against Norfolk St. At that point they led 45-0.

``It irritated me a little bit,'' Norfolk State quarterback Casey Hansen said. ``I guess they wanted to put up as many points as they could in the first half. That's not necessarily sportsmanlike. But that's the route they chose, and they got the job done.''

This game shows me that Schiano is at least capable of this kind of thinking.

Steve Kragthrope, Louisville - 73-10 over Murray St. LY. Some evidence at Tulsa. This one may be a stretch. Anyone else with input on this one?

Brian Kelly, Cincinnati - Look at the first five games from last season. Many of those were needless scores as well. Trust me on this one.

June Jones, SMU - History.

Chris Petersen, Boise St. - Mostly against I-AA opponents, but the potential is there.

Hal Mumme, New Mexico St. - I am pretty sure if he could, he would.

Gregg Brandon, Bowling Green - A surprising amount of history here.

2003:

63-13 vs. Eastern Kentucky
62-3 vs Liberty

2004:

70-16 vs. Temple
52-0 vs. Western Mich

2005:

70-7 vs. Temple

Although Gary Pinkel and Mizzou had a good ATS record last year, historically he has been known to take his foot off the gas when up against weaker competition. In some games (like Illinios and Ole Miss last year it has almost come back to bite him in the ass.)

The defense's job is to stop the opposing offense. The offense's job is to score on the defense. If a defense can't stop the offense, whose fault is that? Why is that considered running up the score?

If you constantly win money from your bookie, do you stop betting?

The defense's job is to stop the opposing offense. The offense's job is to score on the defense. If a defense can't stop the offense, whose fault is that? Why is that considered running up the score?

If you constantly win money from your bookie, do you stop betting?

there comes a point though, where you stop chucking the ball, run the ball up the middle for 3 downs and punt on 4th down to get the game over quick. I mean like when you are up 55-10, is there a reason to score 77?

Now if it is your third string that is scoring, what are you going to do? But if you got your studs still out there, padding their stats, well if 1 of them get hurt, you (the coach) deserve everything you get

I don't want this thread going down the path of debating the merits of running it up , though i asked for it with my title and first post. I do have a mike leach hating reputation that i have to adhere to now and again. The merits of such actions can be debated elsewhere, really wanted this to be more about the advantages of knowing which coaches did what.

Whether we agree with what mike leach does , we have to take it into account when we bet on ttech of against them. If you bet on them , you have to love it and if you bet a big dog against him , you have to hate it.

I somehow deleted my kansas info.

Dmoney - Brooks wouldn't run it up if given the chance. Usually, the backups are in when the game is out of question. He's old school and you have to figure that's not really his style.

Thanks linde. With their potent offense and high scores over the last couple years, I probably got it in my head that he would.

I think we should take note of hawkins that dmoney listed. This team is going to be running a lot of no huddle this year. They also have a backup qb that can play some football. If they get the chance , they might run it up.

june jones we know for a fact.

stoops we know for sure too. remember peterson getting hurt on a td run late fourth qtr in 2006 up big against iowa state.

mangino is listed twice. there are some fourth quarter numbers from last year that point to a disposition.

i think assmunch from toledo will run it up when he can too.

Back