We are almost through 5 weeks, what have we learned?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, I'll start with my obvious...

-The Jags coaching staff let their players down today in every respect. It was a horrid job by them in general and they should apologize to each player on that team.

-The Lions are a sneaky little team. The defense still is not very good but it is manageable at times. They are 2-3 in what was a must win today. The SF game was nearly won in late fashion and they blew the Dallas game. Other than the opener, they have gotten better. Golladay is just blossoming. This team will be a thorn as the season progresses.

-Minnesota was a great play today and they took care of business, as they should.

-Philly just isn't Philly from last year. It is early though.

-The Raiders have absolutely no sense of desperation in the hurry-up.

-Atlanta season was just ruined by injuries. It is sad, they are not a 1-4 type team.

-That is about all I for now...what say you?

And they should apologize to you for not letting you cash your Yeldon prop

Obviously that is why I know EACH AND EVERY play that happened in that game, lol.

But, even that aside... even if they had ran someone else it still would have been more responsible of them.

Guess what O-linemen like to do? Run block. They hate pass blocking. Well, the Jags O-line had to pass block on 66+ dropbacks on Sunday. That is astronomical.

And here is the thing... KC was let off the hook not having to get gashed on the ground all day.

I'll say it again, why Jacksonville panicked down 10-0 at the Chiefs 2 and never ran the ball again in the last 9:00 of first half is beyond me. You can then add in the fact that they never even tried a draw play to maybe bust 15-20 yards in the 2nd half during the hurry-up just tp keep the defense honest.

Bortles was awful, but he was put in a terrible position by his coaches. That will be the headlines...Bortles 4 picks/5 sacks but so much of that is on the coaches.

One more thing...and we have all alluded to it this year and maybe last...

What is up with the poor FG kickers nowadays?

Obviously that is why I know EACH AND EVERY play that happened in that game, lol.

But, even that aside... even if they had ran someone else it still would have been more responsible of them.

Guess what O-linemen like to do? Run block. They hate pass blocking. Well, the Jags O-line had to pass block on 66+ dropbacks on Sunday. That is astronomical.

And here is the thing... KC was let off the hook not having to get gashed on the ground all day.

I'll say it again, why Jacksonville panicked down 10-0 at the Chiefs 2 and never ran the ball again in the last 9:00 of first half is beyond me. You can then add in the fact that they never even tried a draw play to maybe bust 15-20 yards in the 2nd half during the hurry-up just tp keep the defense honest.

Bortles was awful, but he was put in a terrible position by his coaches. That will be the headlines...Bortles 4 picks/5 sacks but so much of that is on the coaches.

Spot on. The Jags played to KC‘s strengths. What concerns me is that it didn‘t seem to be a matter of panic so much as part of the gameplan from the beginning! I‘m referring to the drive that started with some movement down the field, then concluded with three straight deep pass attempts!! This was in the first quarter, already focusing on passing. And then very quick to panic and stop running completely. The Jags knew that they had four o-linemen until Wednesday on injured list plus Cam on IR. They had to know about KC‘s rush D and pass rush. It makes zeeeero sense!!

Last edited:
Steelers were run blitzing like crazy on early downs in the 2nd quarter. Coleman with two -1 runs on first down. Then with the sticks in their favor they love to blitz a corner off the short edge and play zone behind it, the old school LeBeau zone blitz.

So how did the Falcons adjust on the first drive of the 2nd half, down only 3? Run Freeman into the blitz for 2. Dump off to Freeman against zone blitz for zero. But then they are bailed out by Matty running for his longest scramble of the year for a new sets of downs. OK, you dodged that one, time to adjust on the next set of downs, right?

Freeman runs right into blitz for -3. Quick throw to Sanu on the corner blitz into his zone help, 1 yard. Dump off to Coleman, then punt. It went downhill from there.

Last edited:
Cowboys have serious issues in terms of scheme and talent in their passing game.

WR catches/targets/yards vs Houston

Austin 1/3/44 yds (on a miraculous play by Dak) One of the misses clanked off his hands for an INT.
Thompson 2/4/19 One of his misses bounced of his hands for an INT.
Beasley 1/3/8
Gallup 1/3/6
Hurns 1/3/3

Total - 6 catches on 16 targets for 80 yards

So the Texans have a good pass D? Here's what Luck did the week before:

TY 4/6/115
Rogers 8/11/85
Grant 5/7/64
Pascal 6/10/56
Johnson 2/3/24

Total - 25/37/344 yards

Other than TY, who only played part of the game, these guys are nobodies.

It looks like the Cowboys still run the talent-based scheme they had with Dez in there, where its all individual "get yourself open" routes. No rubs, no bunch sets, no clearouts for underneath crossing routes. Occasionally they run a hi-lo combination on one side with a deep route clearing the safety for a 15 yard in, but that's about it. But the talent level is far too weak to execute it. Too often they abandon the middle of the field. The old Witten option routes don't seem to get used with Swaim either. It's hard to sustain an outside the numbers passing attack. They don't even leak Elliot out up the middle for dumpoffs, everything gets funneled wide. Just a bad situation all around. And it's a shame because the D is playing its ass off, even without Lee in there. Another game where they only surrender 16 points in 33 minutes on the field in regulation. 2.8 YPC against the run.

BAR mentioned the Raiders lack of urgency. Spot on. They trailed by two+ TDs for over 30 minutes, never ran a hurry up, and ended up with 49 total plays, a pathetic number.

In a similar situation on Thurs night, the Colts were down 3 TDs at the half and ended up running 81 plays.

The Packers trailed 24 at the half and ended up running 76 plays.

Jags were down 20 at the half and ran 83 plays.

Broncos fell down 11 at the half and ran 72 plays.

Did any of them win? Well, no. But they look like they were trying at least. And sometimes that attitude pays off. Gruden's team basically waved the white flag.

I really can’t figure out the Bungals. Every time I see them go down or make the same mistakes I think to myself, ‘we’ve seen this before’ but then they actually either finish and or find a way to come back.

They talk about Big Ben's home road splits. But Atlanta, since the Super Bowl loss:

Home points per game - 25.8
Road turf ppg - 21.8
Road grass ppg - 18.4

Five more road grass games for Matty Ice starting Week 9 at Washington

It’s what you should expect anytime you ask Blake bortles to throw it 50+ times!! All on coaches not him imo.

Cowboys have serious issues in terms of scheme and talent in their passing game.

WR catches/targets/yards vs Houston

Austin 1/3/44 yds (on a miraculous play by Dak) One of the misses clanked off his hands for an INT.
Thompson 2/4/19 One of his misses bounced of his hands for an INT.
Beasley 1/3/8
Gallup 1/3/6
Hurns 1/3/3

Total - 6 catches on 16 targets for 80 yards

So the Texans have a good pass D? Here's what Luck did the week before:

TY 4/6/115
Rogers 8/11/85
Grant 5/7/64
Pascal 6/10/56
Johnson 2/3/24

Total - 25/37/344 yards

Other than TY, who only played part of the game, these guys are nobodies.

It looks like the Cowboys still run the talent-based scheme they had with Dez in there, where its all individual "get yourself open" routes. No rubs, no bunch sets, no clearouts for underneath crossing routes. Occasionally they run a hi-lo combination on one side with a deep route clearing the safety for a 15 yard in, but that's about it. But the talent level is far too weak to execute it. Too often they abandon the middle of the field. The old Witten option routes don't seem to get used with Swaim either. It's hard to sustain an outside the numbers passing attack. They don't even leak Elliot out up the middle for dumpoffs, everything gets funneled wide. Just a bad situation all around. And it's a shame because the D is playing its ass off, even without Lee in there. Another game where they only surrender 16 points in 33 minutes on the field in regulation. 2.8 YPC against the run.

The d played so well I didn’t even realize lee was out, normally they don’t play like that without him. Of course Houston’s garbage play calling at the goal line contributed to the d having better numbers then maybe they should have?

Back