Washington

Paulie The Vig

Pretty much a regular
Someone please explain why Washington is so bad and Williams should be looking for a job before the years out. This team with all it's fanfare is below 500 and while your at it How about them Angels.

As for Washington they seem lifeless other then Harper someone should be there checking heartbeats before taking the field and that goes directly to manager. Playing in that division and not having it locked up is unbelievable to me and actually being 4.5 games out has to be the biggest disappointment by far this year.

injuries is the big thing Coaching in Chemistry next, not a big harper fan, but he definitely has a heart beat...hopefully i have lost my last wager on the Nats this yr........

Look forward to hearing more from U Paulie

Not a coincidence I think that this latest bad stretch correlates with demotion of Storen and addition of Papplebon. Storen popular in clubhouse and Paplebon had stated position of being closer wherever he was moved. Given Drew's fine performance this year, I can't help but think this had a negative back firing effect on the team's psyche. They also have paid the price to try and get some at bats for Rendon, Werth, R. Zimmerman coming off the DL in hopes that these guys would be contributors down the stretch in a pennant race. Also feel like the RH bullpen in particular has struggled this year without Clippard and Stammen. Harper having a great year and if he had been surrounded by more capable hitting in the middle of the order he would have 15-20 more RBIs at this point. Loss of Span as leadoff hitter has also hurt this team as he is a table setter for their offense. Escobar has had a good year but I like him more as a 2 hitter or 6 or 7 than as a leadoff. SP looked great on paper but Jordan Z. has not been as good as last year, Strasburg injuries though really looked sharp in last two starts (particularly Colorado), Gonzalez WHIP buster with questionable command and not consistent, Fister disappointing and diminishing velocity and team moving Roark all over the place in different roles. Ross has been pleasant surprise and has pitched very well considering how young he is. Lots of questionable managing moves by Matt Williams who manages with pre-determined scenarios (i.e yanking Zimmerman in playoffs vs. SF last year for closer) rather than gut or context.

Down seasons and injuries to the position players. Zimmerman, Rendon, Werth, Desmond, and Ramos have all been below what was expected and Span has been injured.

I follow the Nats every night and I really don't put the blame on Williams. Just odd down years from some pretty good players.

They also kind of went through the gauntlet of starting pitchers for the past 3-4 weeks.

If they can win a couple games in a row and get Rendon and Zimmerman and a couple of the bats going, I do think they are the type of team that can get on a roll. I mean 6 of the 8 position players have under achieved.

Down seasons and injuries to the position players. Zimmerman, Rendon, Werth, Desmond, and Ramos have all been below what was expected and Span has been injured.

I follow the Nats every night and I really don't put the blame on Williams. Just odd down years from some pretty good players.

They also kind of went through the gauntlet of starting pitchers for the past 3-4 weeks.

If they can win a couple games in a row and get Rendon and Zimmerman and a couple of the bats going, I do think they are the type of team that can get on a roll. I mean 6 of the 8 position players have under achieved.

Really disagree with that statement. A true fan. The post above you by nbafan88 summed it up in two words. I would also be willing to bet that the Mets have a better record at the end of the year starting now at 0-0

Just to add why aren't they bringing this kid Turner (I think that's his name) up. There whole infield is hitting below 2.40 except on e I believe.

Last edited:
injuries is the big thing Coaching in Chemistry next, not a big harper fan, but he definitely has a heart beat...hopefully i have lost my last wager on the Nats this yr........

Look forward to hearing more from U Paulie

I'll be around more had to get a lot of stuff out of the way and will be around more. If I knew retirement was this hard I would still be working for a living. Thanks Hound and I've been checking in daily just haven't been posting much but it's great to see you doing well. Stay healthy Hound:shake:

A lot of the hitters are batting under .230

And that all falls down on the manager. Hitting is not just plain luck. It's effort. It's the desire to become better. Not just go Ho Hum day in day out and collect your pay check. The Nationals have very little team chemistry and very little leadership. Not sure if it's because of locker room issues or what. And the only person you can blame for that is the manager because the talent is clearly there and ownership isn't going to take the blame... It's just the way it is. And I've watched two of their games. Awful ingame decision maker

Really disagree with that statement. A true fan. The post above you by nbafan88 summed it up in two words. I would also be willing to bet that the Mets have a better record at the end of the year starting now at 0-0

Just to add why aren't they bringing this kid Turner (I think that's his name) up. There whole infield is hitting below 2.40 except on e I believe.

believe you're speaking about their #2 prospect in Trea Turner, SS

And that all falls down on the manager. Hitting is not just plain luck. It's effort. It's the desire to become better. Not just go Ho Hum day in day out and collect your pay check. The Nationals have very little team chemistry and very little leadership. Not sure if it's because of locker room issues or what. And the only person you can blame for that is the manager because the talent is clearly there and ownership isn't going to take the blame... It's just the way it is. And I've watched two of their games. Awful ingame decision maker

I don't think it all falls on the manager but some certainly does. Some guys need to sit a bit, the batting order needs to be changed, etc. To me though more falls on Rizzo, it's been obvious almost all season that they needed a couple more bats and at the deadline all he gets is a second closer while his only rival for the division adds Cespedes plus. That's bad.

You were probably saying the exact same thing about Terry Collins a month ago...

Nbafan,
I don't like Matt Williams as a manager but to blame him for the players poor batting average. Come on!
Do u blame doc rivers for deandre Jordan's bad ft shooting?

Nbafan,
I don't like Matt Williams as a manager but to blame him for the players poor batting average. Come on!
Do u blame doc rivers for deandre Jordan's bad ft shooting?

Hell yes. Because Doc Rivers has the decision making ability on whether to get DJ a free throw shooting coach / and or use the system some teams are using around the league to help improve FT shooting. Had DJ went to the mavs, his FT shooting would have improved a lot. I stated that in the nba forum.

No, the mets didn't have a MLB players in their lineup during that time.
Take out Bryce Harper, and you could say the same thing about the Nationals. Besides, I don't know that the Mets offense has actually improved that markedly (Duda's power surge probably skews the numbers quite a bit) - it's been as much the pitching that's spurred this turnaround, going from an ERA in the low to mid 3's the first part of the season, to under 3 the past two months (just look at runs allowed in the majority of their wins - 2, 2, 1, 0). If the pitching starts to falter, which I'm guessing it will once we get into unfamiliar territory for the Mets SP's in terms of IP's, the Nationals will be right back in this thing.

Take out Bryce Harper, and you could say the same thing about the Nationals. Besides, I don't know that the Mets offense has actually improved that markedly (Duda's power surge probably skews the numbers quite a bit) - it's been as much the pitching that's spurred this turnaround, going from an ERA in the low to mid 3's the first part of the season, to under 3 the past two months (just look at runs allowed in the majority of their wins - 2, 2, 1, 0). If the pitching starts to falter, which I'm guessing it will once we get into unfamiliar territory for the Mets SP's in terms of IP's, the Nationals will be right back in this thing.

The thing that changed for the mets is that team ownership finally signaled to the fans/players that they care about winning. And the mets started believing they could win no matter the situation. They were playing some shitty competition though.... before the trades though, their lineup consisted of no name players on a nightly basis

IMO Toronto doesn't have a shot Tor has 43 games left and the record of those team totals are 568 -607 with 4 teams over 500 and one team at 500. They play the Yanks 7 more Balt 7 more T.bay 6 more Angels 3 and Texas 3 All teams looking to get to the playoffs. That of course will chance as the season progress's.

The Mets have 44 games left and their team total's are 482 -573. They play 2 teams over 500. They play the Phillies 10 more times Miami 6 times Colorado 3 times

The only thing the two teams have in common are they play more road games then home games in their remaining games. The Mets play 18 Home and 26 Road and are 13 games under 500 on the road. Toronto plays 25 games on the road and 18 at home and their 6 games under 500 on the road. Without hitting as the mets aren't known for there silver bats the Mets are still +22 runs for the year not very impressive but there #13 in all of baseball.

Teams have given up larger leads throughout the years and with softer schedules then the teams chasing them but the Mets have stoppers and that's key.
I see a lifeless team in Washington that has (Besides Harper) loser clearly across there forehead.

Should be interesting to see what the Mets do with their rotation in September, especially once Matz is healthy. Back to a 6 man rotation? Syndergaard and DeGrom are already at career highs in terms of IP's, and Harvey should pass his. Wonder if there's been any internal discussion of shutting Harvey down, even if they make playoffs, sort of like what the Nats did with Strasburg a few years ago (didn't they have an innings restriction on him coming into the season?)

Announced today some pitchers will be skipped in Sept,didn't name who but likely harvey and Noah, but all restrictions will be done with by last week in September and into the postseason. Matz and Verrett will likely be the spot starters. They don't seem to be concerned w degrom inning count

Back