Washington vs Stanford Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's get it going. Feel free to discuss and BOL. Perhaps somebody even has a more creative title in mind? :)

Back Stanford To Cover First Half vs Huskies

Stanford (6-3) welcomes No. 9 Washington (8-1) Friday at 10:30 PM ET. Stanford looks to overtake Washington in the Pac 12 North standings and avenge last year's blowout. Washington is favored by 7.

The Huskies are 0-4 ATS in the first half of road games. Their offense takes a long time to get going on the road, where they average 6.8 first-half points. At home, they average 25.5 first-half points. This point differential exists despite how easy their road schedule has been. They struggled early against Rutgers, Colorado, Oregon State and Arizona State.

Washington's slow starts offensively have been collaborative. The offensive line fails to live up to its preseason hype while on the road, where their sack percentage is over 5% higher.

The lack of protection for quarterback Jake Browning is critical. Browning needs time in the pocket for his receivers to develop their routes and get open. He is dependent on their route-running ability because he lacks the arm strength to zip balls into tight spaces.

Due to the departure of wide receiver John Ross, the only talented, big-play receiver that Browning has available to him is Dante Pettis. While Pettis receives extra attention from the defense, Washington lacks another receiver who can quickly separate himself from defensive backs.

Browning, like the rest of his offense, suffers on the road. His quarterback rating is 170 at home, but 139.5 on the road, where is he more conservative and otherwise less dangerous as a passer.

The Huskies can rely on running back Myles Gaskin to wear down the opposing defense. But Gaskin averages 2.3 yards per carry fewer in the first half than the second.

Harrison Phillips leads Stanford's defensive line with 6.5 tackles for loss and 4 sacks, despite constantly confronting double teams as the nose tackle in Stanford's 3-4 scheme. Stanford's linebackers were a non-factor in last year's debacle, but are all veterans whose tackling numbers reflect growth with experience.

The strength of Stanford's defense is its secondary, which should only further encourage Washington to devote itself offensively to a conservative rush attack, as they did vs Colorado and Oregon.

Stanford's pass defense is ranked 57th in opposing QB rating, despite the number of prolific quarterbacks which they have faced.

Safety Justin Reid is improving his coverage skills and leads the Pac-12 with 5 interceptions. Quenton Meeks is Stanford's top secondary. His arm length and speed in changing direction and his route recognition help him excel in different coverage schemes. His strengths are in defending with his back turned and timing his attack against the ball.

Heisman Candidate Bryce Love leads Stanford's offense against Washington's highly-ranked but untested run defense. Love is electric with his speed and ability to break through contact.

Washington's run defense has regressed by losing top tackler Budda Baker and superstar defensive tackle Elijah Qualls, who was the centerpiece of the Huskies' defensive line, and by linebacker Azeem Victor's inability to be as dominant as he was before his leg injury last season.

Whereas Stanford's offensive line has proven its vast improvement from last season, in terms of sacks allowed and rushing yards per carry, Washington's run defense still has questions to answer, against a superior running back whose quarterback can keep the defense honest.

The Verdict

The Huskies have struggled to get going in every road game thus far. Both teams are different from last season. Browning has less support, while Gaskin will struggle to wear down Stanford's run defense. Love, behind better blocking, will challenge Washington's untested run defense minus Qualls and help secure for Stanford the early cover.

NCAAF Pick: Stanford 1H

Last edited:
Huskie run D looks weak. They have DBs who don't like to tackle and dlinemen who look too small. Not a big fan of Stanford this year. Way overrated if you ask me. I wouldn't touch this game.

If you take away points given up by the Offense, the Huskies have given up approx. 8.7 points per game this year (first in country)....and, there is one thing that both these teams do very well...and that is minimize mistakes....I can see both coaches here playing it very, very conservatively and waiting for the other team to blink first....but I do think the UW gets the win/cover here, but it is NOT a strong play and not even sure I will be betting the side.....

Do like the first half Under at 24 or higher.....like the game Under 50 as well.....this game has 20-10 Huskies written all over it......only concern is if the Huskies pop a couple plays early and force Stanford to throw...then things could escalate

I really do want to like Stanford in this game, but line going to have to go up to make me bite. Note sure I play a first half number in this game. But you are certainly correct, UW 1st half on the road has flat out sucked.

Stanford was really horrible last week on O. Alot of people wanted Costello to be the QB and he just stunk up the joint. With Love or without this O has been bad several times this season.

Alot of respect for Phillips ability, but seems they really lack the play making of Thomas and I've seen Holder and Meeks get beat more times than I thought they would this year too.

Stanford is just kind of....average.

I just like the spot for them. Home to close out the season. Off two bad back-to-back games. Now arguably vs their most important game of the year. Revenge for 44-6 last year. Stanford is nearly dead for PAC12 North, but keep slim hopes alive with a win here. Home dog. I like all that stuff, I just don't like their team that much.

Seems that Washington is tailor made to shut this Stanford team down. Strong front 7 and the potential weakness in the secondary isn't likely to get challenged all that much (I would assume).

Regarding the last point that's why I only took Stanford 1H, as I get that stylistically Washington is made to wear down Stanford over the course of the game. In addition to Washington's 1H road struggles. Those were the key things that led me to it. Don't hold Wash's receivers too highly at all and I don't think Gaskin can produce that many points himself in the first half. But if Love can crank out a few runs, once he gets beyond that d-line, the Huskies' defensive backs are really thin and Victor hasn't shown up yet

Have a unit on the under at 50 and now that is LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG gone......wow, I thought it was a touch high, but didn't see this dropping to 44

+3 could win first half. Stanford is going to have to gameplan significantly better O or else they might have to shut out Washington in the first half!

Thanks for the write up. Everything points to Washington cruising in this game for me but I am overly hesitant to fire on 'em. One of those too easy bets.

I see +3.5

I don't always remember to do this, but I usually enjoy looking back at GOY lines for the given week. Stanford was -1.5. That was with Washington having a 10 win total and Stanford having an 8.5 win total. Washington was nearly even money to win the North while Stanford was nearly 3:1 to win the division.

Hard to forget the last 2 weeks, but Stanford is actually avg a TD better than 2016 and the D is allowing 1 pt more this year.
Washington is avg a FG less on O, although their D is better by 6.5 ppg allowed.

I just like to sometimes put the current number in perspective to what preseason expectations were.

I took the Trees +7 and 1st half +3.5.

Washington is better team, although I've seen some issues with them, I can think of more ways Washington covers this game than Stanford. But situationally this game has things I like to back and Stanford still has some pieces, they just are not putting it together very often.

Browning proved the doubters wrong last week, but I still remember lots of his subpar games. Stanford D should be able to matchup pretty good...atleast for the first half like you say. We'll see how the Husky OL holds up.

Stanford scoring is going to be an issue, but I'll go with Shaw to develop a game plan for success. They have one of the best players in the country so either getting him the ball or using has a decoy is good and one thing Stanford has is great height at TE/WR. Just need Costello to get them the ball.

I took the Trees +7 and 1st half +3.5.

Washington is better team, although I've seen some issues with them, I can think of more ways Washington covers this game than Stanford. But situationally this game has things I like to back and Stanford still has some pieces, they just are not putting it together very often.

Browning proved the doubters wrong last week, but I still remember lots of his subpar games. Stanford D should be able to matchup pretty good...atleast for the first half like you say. We'll see how the Husky OL holds up.

Stanford scoring is going to be an issue, but I'll go with Shaw to develop a game plan for success. They have one of the best players in the country so either getting him the ball or using has a decoy is good and one thing Stanford has is great height at TE/WR. Just need Costello to get them the ball.

Onto tomorrow :( sorry if i misled you

I think they read my article and were like "we gotta start off strong tonight" lol

Hopefully Whiteside hangs himself, had the cover in both hands. Piece of shit.

Little harsh. Never easy getting a short line when you aren't the better or semi-equal team.

I think all you can ever ask for is a chance. Washington outplayed them yet Stanford had a chance. Sometimes you get it sometimes you don't. Life goes on.

Washington outplayed them in the first two offensive drives. Got lucky with that freak trip-up of Love which reinjured his ankle and were fortunat with their midget thinned secondary to cover by half a point. Load of shit.

God he waits until the second half to show up. Grr. At least I didn't fall for the road favorite. Yea sorry in a bad mood, Friday night and the top amigo out

Back