Washington vs Arizona State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, assigned two articles today. Feel free to discuss and BOL Amigos

Huskies Feel the Heat vs Sun Devils

#5 Washington (6-0) plays at Arizona State (2-3) this Saturday at 10:45 PM ET. The Huskies opened as 18.5 point favorites, but that number has dropped to 17.5, despite public action on Washington.

All 6 of the teams demolished by Washington have passing attacks ranked outside the top 50, in terms of passing yards per game. Arizona State's passing attack, which ranks 26th, will test Washington's defense.

Quarterback Manny Wilkins had averaged over 300 yards per game with 8 touchdowns before last week's off day at Stanford, where he threw his first two interceptions on the season.

Wilkins is at his best at home, where he excelled against San Diego State's top-ranked pass defense and helped upset then-ranked Oregon. His passer rating this season is 139.2 on the road, compared to 163.5 at home, a trend that is consistent throughout his career.

Wilkins is a dual-threat quarterback whose quick feel enable him to maintain good pocket presence. He ably keeps his eyes down the field and can drive a vertical passing attack. Outside of the pocket, he is a strong runner in the open field.

N'Keal Harry is Wilkins' top target. Harry is tall and well-sized, yet also boasts impressive speed and route-running skills. He has extensive catching range and is strong as a runner after the catch or in jet sweep plays.

Jalen Harvey complements Harry, who will see the most attention from Washington's defense. Harvey is improving his ability to separate himself from second-level defenders and find space in the open field for Wilkins to develop his strength, the intermediate passing game. Harvey complements Harry's physicality with shifty elusiveness in open space and a vertical ability that expands his already decent size.

Protection for WIlkins is an issue, as the Sun Devils rank towards rock-bottom in terms of sacks allowed. Dating back to last season, the games in which Arizona State could not be competitive at home were those in which Wilkins was sacked incessantly.

The Huskies' defensive line feeds off the energy of its home crowd. On the road this season, they have produced 6 sacks in 3 games, which would place them outside the top 50 overall.

If protection does become an issue, the Devils' passing attack is prepared to expose the weakness of the Huskies' untested secondary. For example, Harry's route-running ability includes the use of fakes and other subtle movements in order to quickly create separation from the secondary. The quick pass to Harry, combined with his ability to run after the catch, can be effective against the Huskies' secondary.

The injury of Byron Murphy, who had led the Huskies in passes defensed, makes the Huskies' attempt to replace significant departures in the secondary that much harder. The Devils' passing game can expose an inexperienced and unproven Washington secondary.

Another crucial match-up will be Arizona State's push rush against Washington's offensive line.

Washington is ranked 30th in sacks allowed, but against anemic pass rushes. Arizona State, also in terms of pass rush, presents a new beast to a protection unit that has openly received the label "soft."

One of the Devils' leading pass rushers is JoJo Wicker, who achieved 2 sacks against a respectably ranked Texas Tech protection unit. Wicker complements his strength with quickness after the snap. He adeptly collapses the pocket, but also utilizes a variety of moves to work into the backfield. He boasts solid speed and athleticism for a defensive tackle and aggressively pursues the opposing ballcarrier

The Devils also boast a high-quality, veteran linebacking corps with which to contain Washington's rush attack. D.J. Calhoun and Christian Sam's speedy and physical presence can contain Washington's rush attack and make their offense more one-dimensional.

Arizona State's run defense statistics are abysmal because the best rush attacks shredded them--San Diego State and Stanford. Washington's poor run-blocking limits its rush attack. Myles Gaskin's one strong game this year came against a rebuilding Colorado 3-4 defense with a depleted defensive line and a linebacking corps that lacks size and physicality.

Arizona State's 4-3 defense effectively utilizes the abilities of its best defenders, whose physicality will be decisive in keeping Washington one-dimensional and susceptible to the Devils' pass rush. Arizona State's best pass defense will be its pass rush.

The Verdict

An overview of Washington's statistical achievements leads one to overrate their abilities because of the weak competition which they have faced, while a more battle-tested Arizona State can surprise many by winning defensively the battle against the Huskies' offensive line and offensively by exposing Washington's pass defense. The difficulty of playing in Tempe, Arizona is underrated by oddsmakers, as the Devils are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 at home. Also, oddsmakers constantly overrate the Huskies in this match-up, in which the Devils have covered 11 in a row.

NCAAF Pick: Arizona State +17.5

Last edited:
Btw anyone who likes my articles or even if you don't but want to see the game discussed, feel free to send me requests as I have some influence on whom I cover. It may be possible to tell which teams I prefer to cover

Love it. Just my kind of game. And Washington is good, but their O doesn't seem quite the same as they did last year. Not sure why. 3 games on the road this year their first half performances haven't resembled what one would expect out of them. After 4 quarters they've been able to mask those shortcomings, but they've also come against some really limited teams (Rutgers and Oregon St and a middling Colorado team). They start slow this week, Az St can bite them and instead of UW running away in the 2nd half they might be trying to maintain and hold off the Devils.

QB pressure on Wilkins is a concern of mine. Manny seems at his best when is running recklessly escaping pressure and getting in the open field, or just breaking contain then defenders come up to deal with him and he hits receivers. If he can't get out of the pocket then the sacks can add up. But otherwise I think Az St can produce vs them.

You don't mention the Devil RBs - team ran for 214 on Stanford. Not saying Stanford is an accomplishment necessarily, but they can run it and provide some run / pass balance.

You seem more optimistic about the Devil run D than I am, it is a concern of mine.

Would like Crump to be playing, but he is out for the year.

Thinking we could see pretty good game here. I mean really, this is kind of weird to say at this point of the season, but this is probably the best team that Washington has played year to date.

Yeah I thought about making my play 1H only. But I saw that Wilkins' numbers in 2016 and 2017 improve vastly in the second half and he's a huge part of my reasoning for Arizona State so I just went FG. Last year and 2015, Browning was also way stronger in the 1H. And it's still kind of early in this season to be decisive about the patterns of UW's rhythm. So just looking at splits. But 1H I think is a play all the same.

Didn't mention RBs because of their poor average per carry. They ran for so many against Stanford with 46 rushes. I think they provide a decent balance in their attack, but the key is Manny.

I'm kind of also skeptical of Gaskin right now. Obviously the Devils are ranked really poorly in the run D. But I don't think that the Huskies run O is showing nearly the kind of danger that SD ST or Stanford are. And Gaskin's numbers have been really unimpressive.

Yes Crump hurts, but so does Murphy for UW.

UW's schedule has been a joke. And it's not like they're facing USC now, but ASU is I think such a more dangerous team than what they've seen until now.

One thing to remember when looking at the Washington offense...

they are ranked 110th in the country in total plays per game on offense, which makes their scoring in general mighty impressive. Their number is approx 66 plays, and that includes 81 last game.

Lol new content person wants more betting relevant numbers and less scouting info that can allegedly just be found on other sites...where am i supposed to get betting relevant numbers (im guessing they mean trends) if not from oddsshark. How are video footage and analysis simple to procure and develop? Ugh...

Are most people so dumb that they just want a few trends, a few statistics? No matter how actually useful they are to the bet

Good stuff VC.....this is going to be a big test for the UW and I could see them trailing in this game early (which will be first time since Rutgers) and it will be interesting to see how they respond.....playing in the desert has historically been a problem for the UW and it is tough for me to see a scenario where the UW gets out in front big and wins by 20+

I will almost certainly be on ASU 1st half,.....

You are more than welcome to just do write-ups anywhere you want, right? Or do they own you? (so-to-speak)

No they don't own me. But my time is limited. I get paid to write for them and don't have time during the semester to do write-ups for fun. But if I can't write intellectually interesting articles, then i'll just do the best I can for them, but I wouldn't be proud enough of the work to post here. I sent them a revision of both articles yesterday and i'll see how much they let me continue to "get away with."

Number just hit 18.5 on my end.

I think vs Arz St Bryce Love had 233 of his yards on just 5 carries! So it's easy, just limit big plays. ;)

Number just hit 18.5 on my end.

I think vs Arz St Bryce Love had 233 of his yards on just 5 carries! So it's easy, just limit big plays. ;)

I am on ASU 1st half.....that said, there are a TON of fundIamentals that back the UW.....the LOS "should" be dominated by the Huskies......but CP plays to WIN, not necessarily blow out teams...they have actually been very, very conservative on offense......just grind it out, punt if you have to, play GREAT defense.....

636436309637828192-USATSI-10348043.jpg

Back