Washington/Syracuse..........

Mugg

Dawg Fan
Since there's only 2 games on Friday I thought I'd offer up some food for thought on one of them.

The Huskies are a bit difficult to get a read on due to mostly closed practices, but I've scrounged up some info...........

QB- Locker will start & has impressed with his running mostly, although his passing has been said to be improved since the start of camp. He has wowed many with his 4.5 speed @ 225 lbs. UW has apparently incorporated some of WV's offense in an effort to maximize his running skills. Bonnell, by all accts., has been excellent as well & it remains to be seen how much he'll play.

RB- Rankin is the #1 guy &, despite what many publications have printed, Hasty hasn't been very impressive...........& is now hobbled. The surprise has been true frosh Brandon Johnson. Some said he was actually the best HS RB in Cal. LY & has shown it in camp. Odds are he'll see some time in the backfield this game as well as kick returning.

WR- Marcel Reece is a monster @ 6'3 240 & 4.4 speed..........has been great in camp. Expect to here his name called on Friday. Russo has been hurt but is apparently looking healthy now & Cory Williams has been impressive as well.

TE- This has been a quiet position as far as word from camp. Lewis & Kirton will share time with Kirton playing mostly in 2 TE sets.

OL- Could be a big surprise. They're huge across the line (bigger than listed apparently) & although they have 2 new starters, there is more experience here than meets the eye.

DL- Experienced group with good size......should be solid.

LB- Should also be solid.........although a bit young, they have experience.

DB- They'll be starting a true frosh @ one corner & plan to play a lot of zone to help out. This is definitely a weak spot early.

K- kicking will be the other weak spot..........neither the PK or P has been impressive which makes a close game scary.

I don't know a whole lot about 'cuse other than their listed starting RB is hobbled & they also have a new QB. Anyone have dope on the Orangemen?

I wish the Dawgs were dogs here...........giving 3 @ the CD is not to my liking right now...........

Not really, Mugg. But I too always appreciate the insights from you.

This is one of those games I will watch intently Week 1 for research. See if UW has truly improved and if SU can ever get their shit together.

Don't get me wrong.........I know this is a dog game (no pun intended). I was just hoping someone with some 'cuse dope would chime in. From what I've read on the Orangemen site, they're not too enthused about this squad while I feel the Huskies could have their best team under TW..............I'll temper that by saying I don't think they'll make a bowl with the schedule they face but could win 5-6 games.
Anyhow, if the line happens to drop below 3 or presents +$ on the 3 I'll drop a unit on the Huskies............hell, I may do it anyway.

Mugg:

From what I've seen from all the Cuse sites, they're hopeful but not enthralled about the squad.

Meanwhile, at least a little bit of kool-aid has been flowing at U-Dub, particularly with respect to your new QB. El Savior.

We'll see.

There are a few games I ain't touching but certainly will be watching. This is one of them.

I'm from about 2 hours outside of Cuse. No buzz whatsoever about this team. They're still really in the beginning phases of moving from option to spread and the personnel still isn't right for the system.

That being said... the Carrier dome is a tough place to play. Iowa got outplayed there last season with their backup QB but squeaked out a win... and Cuse played UL gamely till the 4th quarter.

I really would like to still fade SU but they get decent fan support early in the season and the nasty Carrier dome might slow down Washington whose come across the country to play in a huge garage.... Probably a no play.

I appreciate any & all insight. There may be some overzealous UW fans but I think most still have just a guarded optimism.
I'm not going to expect the world out of a rF QB...........but Dennis Erickson was quoted as saying, "Locker is the best I've ever seen coming out of HS"............pretty strong words from a guy who has been around for a while. I'm sure he was just being courteous.

My plays for opening weekend...........

LSU -17.5 .............should only be close if LSU doesn't care

Wisky -14 ............Cougs are over-matched here.......could be repeat of the Auburn game LY.

TexTech -8.5 ............SMU hasn't kept this game under 10 in many years

WVirg -23 ...........should be a mismatch.......if wv takes this serious. They need to if they want to climb.

UCLA 1st hf.........whatever it comes out at..........Tree has an entire new coaching staff......there's bound to be issues right out of the gate. UCLA is loaded.

Washington -3 .............there will be some things that cuse hasn't seen on tape.

GL all..........the fun begins in less than 20 hours

Mugg

Good post, I HATE UDub's schedule and am worried about them laying 3 all the way on the East Coast. Your input on them was fairly similar to my analysis in my PAC 10 preview. Syracuse is not very good, not very good at all BUT funny things tend to happen in the Carrier Dome and I'm sure they're thinking this may be one they can steal.

UDub's schedule is just brutal as I'm sure you know and I gotta believe TW will have this team ready to go as it could be their only shot at a win in the first 5 or 6 weeks. It's tough to have a make or break game to open up, but this could determine whether they are bowl eligible this year.

Not touching it

Like the Saturday Plays Mugg...

First UCLA half thoughts I have seen. I am quite high on them this year but am kinda looking at this game as research for myself for further weeks..

GL un u-Dub tomorrow

Kind of a hunch on the UCLA 1st hf..........Stanford has some talent but I don't think it will click immediately in a new system. UCLA should feel the need to take care of biz in a conf game & I wouldn't expect they'd be flat...........but then again, we're talking about a Karl Dorrell team.

bjorks..........I don't blame you for not looking at the UW game. It's almost a pure gamble & the only reason I'm putting a unit on the Dawgs is that I like the way they stepped up in big games LY. The belief is starting to trickle back into the program & they really do have some good talent. I give them the edge in every area but kicking.

Mugg...I still like UCLA unbeaten going into USC in Dec...and thats with dorrell...

Some of these coaches...Dorrell, Miles, Uncle lloyd..drive us nuts

Mugg - Locker is looking like the real deal. The kid has got wheels, and has a cannon arm. Did you see those Favre-like darts he tossed in the first few drives? Wow.

Only got to watch bits and pieces so far but what I have got from it so far is the Cuse still blows

Damn that was FTW last night

1st hf number on UCLA is 10...........I'm on it. Also gonna throw a unit on USC 1st hf -28

GL today gentlemen...........
Peace_5.gif

Back