Virginia vs. Illinois Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 2 College Football Parlay: Illinois Ready to Bounce Back

Virginia Cavaliers vs. Illinois Fighting Illini
Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 4:00 p.m. ET (ESPNU) at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Illinois

Virginia's Offense Last Year

Last year, too, Virginia and Illinois played each other, and Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong exceeded 400 passing yards.

If you don't know what Virginia's offense was like last year, though, then you will likely overstate the significance of Armstrong's seemingly impressive passing total against Illinois.

Armstrong repeatedly passed for 400 or more yards because he was the centerpiece of the Cavalier offense.

In fact, against Illinois, he nearly also led his team in rushing yards.

Thus, Armstrong's passing total in last year's game might be taken as a sign of his dominance against the Illini secondary when in fact his performance revealed nothing of the sort.

This Year's Virginia Offense: Wide Receivers

Explicitly, Virginia's offense is determined to move from the pass-heavy, air raid concept of last year to something more balanced.

This move is necessary on many levels.

For starter's, the wide receiver depth isn't there to justify passing 50 times.

This lack of depth was created in particular by injuries to Malachi Fields and Dakota Twitty.

Already in the season opener, a concerning number of drops happened because existing Cavalier wide receivers had to see the field more often in a limited rotation.

These drops, this fatigue, and this reliance on too few wide receivers all happened even though Virginia's offense did implement a balanced attack that actually ran more often than it passed.

Virginia Pass-Catchers

Last season, Armstrong relied heavily on current Indianapolis Colt tight end Jelani Woods for his production against the Illini.

To be exact, Woods accounted for just over 30 percent of Armstrong's yardage and was easily his team's leading pass-catcher.

Woods is gone, and while his absence might lead to desperately needed improvement in blocking, although only a slight one, Virginia will miss his pass-catching prowess.

To be clear, despite its lack of depth, Cavalier wide receivers easily form the strength of their offense, along with Armstrong.

Illinois Secondary

But Illinois' secondary is strong because of its returning cornerback play, including but in no way limited to Devon Witherspoon, who was an All-Big Ten honorable mention last year.

While the Illini struggled to limit the likes of Woods, it thrived against the Big Ten's finer wide receiver offerings.

For example, Illinois limited Nebraska's Samori Toure to 37 receiving yards.

Toure would go on to accrue 898 receiving yards on the season.

Similarly, the Illini limited Penn State's Jahan Dotson, who amassed 1,182 receiving yards last season, to one of his lesser performances.

They also kept him out of the end zone.

Because Virginia's pass attack, this season, is dependent on its wide receivers, Illinois' secondary is well-equipped to limit Virginia's passing offense.

Virginia's Offensive Line

Though already far from being good last year -- its nationally average sack rate could be disguised by Armstrong's mobility -- the Wahoo offensive line entered this season in shambles.

Virginia lost every player -- all six of them -- who had meaningful starting experience on the offensive line.

Having essentially to start over is naturally hardest to do at the beginning of the season.

This is especially true for UVA, whose offensive line was cursed with injuries in the offseason, derailing any semblance of continuity from one week of training to the next.

Illinois Pass Rush

The lack of continuity alongside Virginia's offensive line entails a disrupted ability to develop chemistry, the lack of which will play itself out in favor of an Illini front seven that does not have this same problem.

Among multiple starting linebackers and others from last season, Illinois brings back defensive ends Jer'Zhan Newton and Keith Randolph Jr.

As redshirt freshmen, both combined for 7.5 sacks.

Illinois' front seven is also more than ready to limit a Virginia running back group that is annually bereft of talent, the lack of which gets magnified by the team's run-blocking issues, although they didn't appear as glaring as expected against lowly Richmond last week.

Continuity at the running back position is rather a bad thing against an Illini front seven that already shut down Indiana running backs last week and that, personnel-wise, is obviously many times more formidable than Richmond.

Illinois' Ground Game

Whereas Virginia's offense will struggle to do what it wants against Illinois, the Illini will have their way against a Virginia defense that has so much to improve upon after ranking 123rdin total defense last year and that has to learn new defensive schemes right now.

The Illini are strongest on the ground, where they boast a positive group of running backs headed by Chase Brown.

Already, through two games, Brown has amassed 350 rushing yards on 6.4 YPC.

Virginia's run defense, which allowed Richmond to amass 170 rushing yards on 35 carries, will continue to allow its opponent to enjoy big holes and open running lanes.

As it did last week, Illinois will utilize its ground game to dominate time of possession.

This clear ability to flourish on the ground separates its offense from Virginia's.

Missing Joey Blount

The Cavalier defense and its pass defense specifically will also miss Joey Blount, who departed for the NFL and brought his mixture of tone-setting leadership, heavy hitting, and good and savvy ball skills and pass coverage with him.

In recent history, Virginia's pass defense has suffered terribly, stat-wise, when Blount was injured.

Parlay Verdict

Expect Illinois, both literally and figuratively, to run away with this game while its pass rush and secondary skill on defense combine with its ball-control on offense to ensure that this game does not approach the high posted total.

Best Bet: Parlay Fighting Illini -4.5 & Under 58 at -112 with BetOnline

Yeah apparently I succeeded in talking my boss out of giving me any more three-game articles. It‘s just not my style. I‘m naturally detail-oriented. Being broad or brief is difficult for me.

really like the post. my numbers are all over the place on this game. 2 of 4 point me to each side, lol...which tells me my #s need a bunch more work/data.

Disaster for me as I'm on UVA +4.5 at the Over at 56.5 :oops:

Great write-up
Well my heart hopes your right :) Virginia does have a fine combo of receivers and QB, hopefully the rebuilt o-line continues to outperform expectations under strong coaching and hopefully I’ve overestimated the merits of Illinois’ secondary and pass rush. Any „over“ with the Virginia defense is already reasonable!

Week 2 College Football Parlay: Illinois Ready to Bounce Back

Virginia Cavaliers vs. Illinois Fighting Illini
Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 4:00 p.m. ET (ESPNU) at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Illinois

Virginia's Offense Last Year

Last year, too, Virginia and Illinois played each other, and Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong exceeded 400 passing yards.

If you don't know what Virginia's offense was like last year, though, then you will likely overstate the significance of Armstrong's seemingly impressive passing total against Illinois.

Armstrong repeatedly passed for 400 or more yards because he was the centerpiece of the Cavalier offense.

In fact, against Illinois, he nearly also led his team in rushing yards.

Thus, Armstrong's passing total in last year's game might be taken as a sign of his dominance against the Illini secondary when in fact his performance revealed nothing of the sort.

This Year's Virginia Offense: Wide Receivers

Explicitly, Virginia's offense is determined to move from the pass-heavy, air raid concept of last year to something more balanced.

This move is necessary on many levels.

For starter's, the wide receiver depth isn't there to justify passing 50 times.

This lack of depth was created in particular by injuries to Malachi Fields and Dakota Twitty.

Already in the season opener, a concerning number of drops happened because existing Cavalier wide receivers had to see the field more often in a limited rotation.

These drops, this fatigue, and this reliance on too few wide receivers all happened even though Virginia's offense did implement a balanced attack that actually ran more often than it passed.

Virginia Pass-Catchers

Last season, Armstrong relied heavily on current Indianapolis Colt tight end Jelani Woods for his production against the Illini.

To be exact, Woods accounted for just over 30 percent of Armstrong's yardage and was easily his team's leading pass-catcher.

Woods is gone, and while his absence might lead to desperately needed improvement in blocking, although only a slight one, Virginia will miss his pass-catching prowess.

To be clear, despite its lack of depth, Cavalier wide receivers easily form the strength of their offense, along with Armstrong.

Illinois Secondary

But Illinois' secondary is strong because of its returning cornerback play, including but in no way limited to Devon Witherspoon, who was an All-Big Ten honorable mention last year.

While the Illini struggled to limit the likes of Woods, it thrived against the Big Ten's finer wide receiver offerings.

For example, Illinois limited Nebraska's Samori Toure to 37 receiving yards.

Toure would go on to accrue 898 receiving yards on the season.

Similarly, the Illini limited Penn State's Jahan Dotson, who amassed 1,182 receiving yards last season, to one of his lesser performances.

They also kept him out of the end zone.

Because Virginia's pass attack, this season, is dependent on its wide receivers, Illinois' secondary is well-equipped to limit Virginia's passing offense.

Virginia's Offensive Line

Though already far from being good last year -- its nationally average sack rate could be disguised by Armstrong's mobility -- the Wahoo offensive line entered this season in shambles.

Virginia lost every player -- all six of them -- who had meaningful starting experience on the offensive line.

Having essentially to start over is naturally hardest to do at the beginning of the season.

This is especially true for UVA, whose offensive line was cursed with injuries in the offseason, derailing any semblance of continuity from one week of training to the next.

Illinois Pass Rush

The lack of continuity alongside Virginia's offensive line entails a disrupted ability to develop chemistry, the lack of which will play itself out in favor of an Illini front seven that does not have this same problem.

Among multiple starting linebackers and others from last season, Illinois brings back defensive ends Jer'Zhan Newton and Keith Randolph Jr.

As redshirt freshmen, both combined for 7.5 sacks.

Illinois' front seven is also more than ready to limit a Virginia running back group that is annually bereft of talent, the lack of which gets magnified by the team's run-blocking issues, although they didn't appear as glaring as expected against lowly Richmond last week.

Continuity at the running back position is rather a bad thing against an Illini front seven that already shut down Indiana running backs last week and that, personnel-wise, is obviously many times more formidable than Richmond.

Illinois' Ground Game

Whereas Virginia's offense will struggle to do what it wants against Illinois, the Illini will have their way against a Virginia defense that has so much to improve upon after ranking 123rdin total defense last year and that has to learn new defensive schemes right now.

The Illini are strongest on the ground, where they boast a positive group of running backs headed by Chase Brown.

Already, through two games, Brown has amassed 350 rushing yards on 6.4 YPC.

Virginia's run defense, which allowed Richmond to amass 170 rushing yards on 35 carries, will continue to allow its opponent to enjoy big holes and open running lanes.

As it did last week, Illinois will utilize its ground game to dominate time of possession.

This clear ability to flourish on the ground separates its offense from Virginia's.

Missing Joey Blount

The Cavalier defense and its pass defense specifically will also miss Joey Blount, who departed for the NFL and brought his mixture of tone-setting leadership, heavy hitting, and good and savvy ball skills and pass coverage with him.

In recent history, Virginia's pass defense has suffered terribly, stat-wise, when Blount was injured.

Parlay Verdict

Expect Illinois, both literally and figuratively, to run away with this game while its pass rush and secondary skill on defense combine with its ball-control on offense to ensure that this game does not approach the high posted total.

Best Bet: Parlay Fighting Illini -4.5 & Under 58 at -112 with BetOnline
not the prediction I expected.
Did you have your commonwealth slippers on while writing this? avoiding the appearance of bias?

All teasing aside, nice write up.
GL

Well my heart hopes your right :) Virginia does have a fine combo of receivers and QB, hopefully the rebuilt o-line continues to outperform expectations under strong coaching and hopefully I’ve overestimated the merits of Illinois’ secondary and pass rush. Any „over“ with the Virginia defense is already reasonable!
I witnessed the Illinois sedondary get carved up against a very mediocre IU passing attack. So if BA is allowed to air it out, I think they can have good success and put up 31-34. Illinois should get theirs on the ground, though don’t love taking Overs with them as their pass game stinks

I witnessed the Illinois sedondary get carved up against a very mediocre IU passing attack. So if BA is allowed to air it out, I think they can have good success and put up 31-34. Illinois should get theirs on the ground, though don’t love taking Overs with them as their pass game stinks
UVA coaches have been explicit about making this year‘s offense way more balanced. But im definitely eager to see what play-calling looks like when running isn‘t as easy as it was against Richmond

It always kills me that there‘s a user named Eddy Winslow. That has to be intentional. Altho i‘m sure it‘s a common name and idk how his name is spelled on the show

Back