Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Notre Dame in Classic Let-Down Spot at Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech hosts Notre Dame on Saturday night on ABC. The Hokies will keep this game closer than people think.

#6 Notre Dame (5-0) at #24 Virginia Tech (3-1)

NCAAF Pick: Hokies +5

We’ve seen this once before. Notre Dame began the season with a huge primetime win in front of an electric crowd home crowd against Michigan. The week after, against lowly Ball State, the team never got into the game. It wasn’t just that the Irish were starting Brandon Wimbush at quarterback. The offensive line struggled to get consistent push and key receivers failed to get open against man coverage. It will be hard for the Irish to replace its performance in a dominant 38-17 win against Stanford. The key was Ian Book, who played out of his mind in terms of accuracy on intermediate throws. He gave Notre Dame’s offense a balance. Otherwise, the Irish love to rely on its ground attack and running back Dexter Williams, who returned from four-game suspension, looked like he hadn’t missed a beat and exploited a porous Stanford defensive line

Unlike Stanford, Virginia Tech’s strength on defense matches up with Notre Dame’s strength on offense. Defensive coordinator Bud Foster’s top priority is to stop the opposing team’s rush attack. In the last two years plus this one, the Hokies ranked in the top 30 in opposing yards per carry. The defensive line boasts significant returning experience and depth led by 300-pound defensive tackle Ricky Walker, who was third team all-ACC. The linebackers are young. Dylan Rivers was a four-star recruit who played in mop-up duty last season. Rayshard Ashby played on special teams, but occupied a huge role in shutting down Duke’s run game last week. He leads the team in tackles and tackles for loss.

The linebacking corps’ secret weapon is defensive coordinator and linebackers’ coach Bud Foster. Foster is a defensive genius who excels at making schematic adjustments to account for the opposing offense’s strength. Foster is experienced in shutting down the things that Notre Dame likes to do. Last year, the Irish called the inside zone run 170 times and it’s always been a staple of its offense even before Chip Long became offensive coordinator. Foster’s bear package constitutes an antidote against this interior run scheme. Foster will align his defense to prevent any of his defenders being double-teamed, to create personnel mismatches in the trenches, and to allow his linebackers freedom in pursuit of the running back.

One way in which Foster creates mismatches is by shifting a quick defensive end towards the middle of the line, so that his explosiveness supersedes the opposing interior’s reaction skill. In this vein, losing co-captain and veteran guard Alex Bars for the season presents a tough blow to a Notre Dame offensive line that is already missing two blockers now in the NFL. Particularly when V Tech defenders don’t penetrate into the backfield, it’s important for the middle linebacker to read the opposing play well. Look for Ashby to build off his momentum from the Duke game. Virginia Tech sticks to man coverage while it’s focused on stopping the run. Notre Dame will miss its speedsters at wide receiver like Kevin Stepherson, who could more easily create separation from defensive backs, and Equanimeous St. Brown, who had a high success rate against man coverage. Stanford hardly sacked or hurried Book, but Foster will make him uncomfortable with his creative blitz packages. V Tech ranks 36th in sack rate.

Virginia Tech is better off with its new quarterback Ryan Willis. He has great arm strength, a quick release that will be useful against Notre Dame’s pass rush, and nice touch. The well-sized quarterback can also tuck it and run. He lit up a highly-ranked Duke pass defense with 300 yards and three touchdowns to zero interceptions. The offense works better with Willis and this was already evident in the Spring Game. He has great rapport with his receivers. Damon Hazelton is a big-play threat with his aerial ability and Eric Kumah is tough to bring down after the catch. Both can be effective with their size against Notre Dame’s secondary. The Hokies boast a powerful duo of strong running backs who can help wear down Notre Dame’s defense. Notre Dame’s defense is undoubtedly elite, but we’ve seen it wear down when the offense is lackluster and the Hokies possess the weapons to sustain drives and score.

It’s a good point that the bear front can stop the zone read. It’s why osu lost to va tech in 14. You beat the bear front by running speed option to the corner, not sure if ND is comfortable doing that.

I'm not sure I trust VA Tech after that ODU loss. I watched the game and saw Jeremy Cox run over VA Tech players on his way to the end zone. I'll be rooting for Tech, but I don't think they can keep up with ND.

I just expect them to get outcoached by Fuente and to have trouble at night in Blacksburg given they’ve had nothing of the sort yet this year

I'm not sure I trust VA Tech after that ODU loss. I watched the game and saw Jeremy Cox run over VA Tech players on his way to the end zone. I'll be rooting for Tech, but I don't think they can keep up with ND.

Cox really only did on the last drive

It is really amazing that VT can lose so many players from their D, both expected losses from 2017 and then all the expected losses from 2018 and they can still field competent Ds. After the ODU game we were thinking that the VT D we were impressed with week 1 was more about FSU sucking. Now we see what they did vs a good Duke O and we're back to thinking the D can be decent again. In hindsight as much as we respect Daniel Jones, I wonder what a running threat would've done for that game if they had started Harris. What are you thinking a mobile QB like Book could or couldn't do vs VT? Foster knows he is mobile and can run. They didn't fear Jones running last week with the collarbone injury.

Big concern. VT likes to play man and if the QB gets past the first wave, a lot of times there is no one looking in the backfield. Very concerned about that.

Def would rather have Book try to win with his legs than his arm. But can‘t the middle linebacker keep an eye on that

Def would rather have Book try to win with his legs than his arm. But can‘t the middle linebacker keep an eye on that

VT plays a heavy man press scheme. They have been confused everytime they even try zone. So, it puts pressure on their corners, who are young. So, expect a lot of man blizes.

VT plays a heavy man press scheme. They have been confused everytime they even try zone. So, it puts pressure on their corners, who are young. So, expect a lot of man blizes.

I like that they play man bc Boykin and Claypool couldn‘t get open at all against Ball State‘s man. Their current batch of receivers I think is less suited to man than last year‘s

I just don't think you can overlook that ODU loss and the way that VT's defense, which is supposed to be their strength, was manhandled by one of the worst teams in college football.

I just don't think you can overlook that ODU loss and the way that VT's defense, which is supposed to be their strength, was manhandled by one of the worst teams in college football.

Teams underestimating their opponent literally happens all the time. The Vikings got killed by Buffalo then were competitive against much better Rams team. Ohio State got killed by Iowa last year then annihilated Michigan State. If you focus too much on one game, you miss the bigger picture. One game result doesn't follow just from another game result (unless it's a let-down angle)

Back