Virginia Tech vs. NC State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NCAAF Week 9 Best Bets for Thursday: Hokies and Wolfpack Struggle to Score

NC State's Key Injury

For NC State, staring quarterback Devin Leary is injured.

Qualitatively, the drop-off from Leary to NC State's next quarterback is immense.

Leary is one of his school's leaders in passing yards.

He was also regarded as a top quarterback prospect for the upcoming NFL draft.

These sorts of facts led to his selection as Preseason All-ACC Player of the Year.

However, Leary tore his pectoral muscle and required surgery to repair it.

Jack Chambers

Charleston Southern transfer Jack Chambers replaced Leary.

In terms of playing style, Chambers differs from Leary because he relies on running the ball.

Last week, in his first game against Syracuse, Chambers mustered 160 passing yards and ran the ball 19 times for 58 yards.

NC State's newfound offensive disadvantage limited its ability to sustain scoring drives.

The steep drop-off from Leary to the former FCS quarterback Chambers largely explains why the Wolfpack scored a season-low nine points against Syracuse.

Virginia Tech has sometimes limited quarterbacks to awful statistical outputs -- with Pitt's Kedon Slovis being one such example.

Chambers will pose a softer challenge than, at the very least, any ACC quarterback that the Hokies have already successfully dealt with.

Run The Ball

Given its problem at the quarterback position, NC State is going to want to emphasize running the ball.

The Wolfpack will find inspiration for this strategy from Pitt's performance against the Hokies.

While Pitt dominated on the ground, the Panthers are also collectively one of the ACC's leaders in rushing.

Conversely, rushing the ball is repeatedly a weakness for the Wolfpack offense.

Last year, the Wolfpack had a reputedly strong duo at the running back position, in current New York Jet Zonovan Knight and Ricky Person.

Despite having this duo, the Wolfpack ranked second-to-last in the conference in rushing.

This year, they rank 10thin the ACC in rushing.

In this regard, keep an eye on the injury report.

NC State's chances at running the ball effectively would be hindered even further if Demie Sumo-Karngbaye is not fit to play.

Sumo-Karngbaye is listed as 'questionable' for Thursday's game with an undisclosed injury.

Virginia Tech's Run Defense

This season, the Hokies have been developing young guys and other inexperienced starters along their front seven.

As measured by PFF run defense grade, Josh Fuga has been a relatively valuable asset against the run compared with other ACC defensive tackles.

Hopefully, for our purposes, Fuga gets to continue developing.

He is still listed as a starter on the Hokie depth chart, although Virginia Tech has been employing more experienced defensive linemen.

This newfound emphasis on veteran play paid off in the team's last game, a narrow loss to Miami.

The Hurricanes averaged 3.8 YPC on 28 rush attempts, failing to use the run to put Virginia Tech away quietly.

One may try to counter that the Hurricane ground game isn't exactly strong.

But its caliber is very comparable to NC State's.

After facing the Hokies, Miami now averages 4.3 fewer yards per game than the Wolfpack.

Virginia Tech's Anemic Offense

If you like the Hokie defense to perform well, as I certainly do, then playing the "under" is a must given Virginia Tech's season-long problems on offense.

Nationally, the Hokies rank 112thin averaging 17.8 points per game.

In order for the "over" to hit, the Hokies would have to score above their season average and get help from an NC State offense relying on a former FCS quarterback and an annually meager ground game.

While the Wolfpack offense has grave problems, their defense is one of the toughest that Virginia Tech could encounter.

The Wolfpack rank second in the ACC in limiting teams to 16.9 points per game.

Hokie Ground Game vs. Wolfpack Defense

Throughout the season, Virginia Tech's offensive line has been mistake-ridden and apparently incompetent in many ways, missing assignments and otherwise struggling to make life easy for its quarterback and running back.

Last week, in addition to giving up six sacks, the Hokie offensive line made running back Malachi Thomas fight for every yard.

Thomas could help his team average all of 2.6 YPC.

The Wolfpack run defense is formidable with a loaded linebacking group littered with All-ACC accolades.

Even after Payton Wilson and Isaiah Moore suffered injuries last year, the Wolfpack led the ACC in run stuff rate.

Wilson, the ACC's leading tackler two years ago, and Moore, twice selected as an All-ACC honorable mention, are not even as well-regarded as former All-ACC first-teamer Drake Thomas.

The Wolfpack linebackers will wreak havoc as their defensive line fosters their ability to operate especially thanks to Hokie offensive line issues.

Grant Wells' Issues

Mistake-prone quarterback Grant Wells, who is also failing to complete 60 percent of his passes, will have to do too much against the ACC's third-best pass defense.

It is no coincidence that the Hokies' only ACC win came in the game in which Wells attempted the fewest passes that he's attempted in a game all season.

The Verdict

For all of Virginia Tech's offensive shortcomings, I find it rather ridiculous that the Wolfpack are favored by nearly two touchdowns.

Especially with Chambers, I would have made out NC State to be maybe eight-point favorites.

This will be a close game in which both teams struggle to move the ball.

Oddsmakers are not appreciating the extent to which the Wolfpack offense will suffer all the more as it is led by Chambers.

Best Bet: Hokies +13.5 at -110 with Bovada & Under 40 at -110 with Bovada

I had to do two picks. Man I don‘t feel comfortable at all about the Hokies here. Not sure how they score? This feels like a Sparty vs Bama-type under.

I watched the NCSU/Cuse and the 2nd half of the NCSU/FSU game. NCSU's backup QB, Chambers, came into the game during the FSU game after Leary was hurt and he played the entire game against Syracuse minus 1 drive that they put the 3rd stringer in. I think it was their 3rd drive.

NCSU did not want Chambers to throw the ball against FSU and they almost lost because of it. I think he threw the ball once. They even had a play for their WR to throw the ball.

I thought after a week of practice NCSU would have Chamber's ready against Syracuse. I do not remember a pass of 10 yards or more during the 1st half except a 30-yard incomplete pass on the series they had the 3rd stringer in. Most of Chamber's throws were at or near the LOS.

During the second half, after they were down 2 scores, they let Chambers throw a little more. I remember 3 passes or 10 to 20 yards. He was 1 for 3 in those.

I would assume that they will have him more prepared to throw the ball downfield after another 1.5 weeks to prepare with him as the starter. I still believe they will be conservative in the beginning like they were against Syracuse and open it up only if they need to.

Post-Bud Foster, QBs that can also run do well against the Hokie D. Maye had over 70 yards rushing against VT earlier this year. Schrader had 170 rushing against VT last year. So, they can rely on Chambers running the ball.

I will be watching the game so I will probably look at a 1st half-under bet before the game starts and some live betting if the game script is not going like I assume it will. I see it is currently 20.5 for the 1st half.

I watched the NCSU/Cuse and the 2nd half of the NCSU/FSU game. NCSU's backup QB, Chambers, came into the game during the FSU game after Leary was hurt and he played the entire game against Syracuse minus 1 drive that they put the 3rd stringer in. I think it was their 3rd drive.

NCSU did not want Chambers to throw the ball against FSU and they almost lost because of it. I think he threw the ball once. They even had a play for their WR to throw the ball.

I thought after a week of practice NCSU would have Chamber's ready against Syracuse. I do not remember a pass of 10 yards or more during the 1st half except a 30-yard incomplete pass on the series they had the 3rd stringer in. Most of Chamber's throws were at or near the LOS.

During the second half, after they were down 2 scores, they let Chambers throw a little more. I remember 3 passes or 10 to 20 yards. He was 1 for 3 in those.

I would assume that they will have him more prepared to throw the ball downfield after another 1.5 weeks to prepare with him as the starter. I still believe they will be conservative in the beginning like they were against Syracuse and open it up only if they need to.

Post-Bud Foster, QBs that can also run do well against the Hokie D. Maye had over 70 yards rushing against VT earlier this year. Schrader had 170 rushing against VT last year. So, they can rely on Chambers running the ball.

I will be watching the game so I will probably look at a 1st half-under bet before the game starts and some live betting if the game script is not going like I assume it will. I see it is currently 20.5 for the 1st half.
Maye obviously poses a much greater threat to pass well than Chambers does. Hopefully VT can commit itself more strongly to stopping Chambers' run game since it won't have to worry as much about his passing at least as it had to worry about Maye's.

Also, UNC is obviously just a way more prolific offense -- overall and running the ball -- than NC State. I already concede that VT struggles against stronger ground games (Pitt's running back ofc). Hopefully VT can stop lesser quarterbacks (from running) as it stopped Miami's lesser group of running backs.

I'm just now starting to look at the lines this week and being the first game, this line really surprised me given the state of the NC State O. VT O being pretty poor as well. Sustained drives and points will be few and far between. Even would think VT could win. Last time I said that Miami was on their way to blowing them out, but then VT kind of had a chance to comeback to tie late. Pretty sure I'm going to have Hokies and some ML to make it more fun.

Everyone knows the VT O is pretty bad.

They rank 12th in the ACC in total yards per game. NC State is only 11th and about 23 yards per game better. And while NC State is 8 pts per game better scoring O (27 vs 19), 55 and 41 on Charleston Southern and UConn among their finals boosts the average. Without those they average 19.2 ppg in their other 5, granted they played some good defenses, but some of those were with Leary. In their current form, these Os might be even all things considered? Better OL at State, but maybe the balance tips to VT even with Wells?

Regarding Abanikanda. If we said that VT allowed Pitt 59 rushing yards per quarter to Pitt, that doesn't sound awful, not good, but not like oh my god. That is what he averaged in the first 3 quarters. Then Abanikanda ran for 143 in the 4th Q. Just some perspective 45% of his yards came in the final Q. VT should've been better vs the Pitt rush O the rest of the game, but were they as bad as 320 sounds for the entire game? And even then as I noted when I was looking into the VT - Miami game, they allow Pitt to run for 326 and lose by 16 but believe it or not it was a 2pt game Hokie ball with 11min to go in the game.

Back