Virginia Tech/Georgia Tech & Virginia/BYU Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday's Best Bets: Add This College Football Week 9 Parlay

Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Saturday, October 30, 2021 at noon ET at Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta

Virginia Tech Run Defense

Like last year, and it was apparent last week, Virginia Tech's run defense continues to struggle.

Currently, the Hokies rank 91st nationally in limiting opposing rushing yards per game.

They faced a Syracuse offense last week that is absolutely run-first. The Orange quarterback is the type who thrives most as a runner. His completion percentage on the season is barely over 50 percent.

Nevertheless, Syracuse's offense was able to amass 314 rushing yards en route to a 41-point output.

Last week's game shows that Virginia Tech's run defense remains powerless even when it knows that the opponent will run the ball.

Georgia Tech Offense vs. Hokie Defense

I find the Syracuse game instructive because Georgia Tech, too, is known for being a run-first team.

Because the Yellow Jackets rank in the upper-half nationally in run percentage and have plenty of runners whom they like to feed, they match up well against the Hokies' problematic run defense.

Georgia Tech's run-play percentage dropped because it had to come from behind against Virginia -- and still the Jackets managed to score 40 points.

Jeff Sims offers a greater challenge at quarterback than Syracuse's. Sims, this season, is completing over 60 percent of his pass attempts and has amassed over 290 passing yards in each of his past three games.

Still, Sims is more well-known for his scrambling abilities. Sims, Jahmyr Gibbs, Dontae Smith, and Jordan Mason are all liable to accrue a substantial number of carries in a given game. They all average between 4.5 and seven YPC for Georgia Tech.

Hokie Offense vs. Georgia Tech Defense

Virginia Tech, too, can score a lot of points for a similar reason,

Georgia Tech's run defense is porous, ranking 82nd in opposing YPC.

What surprises me about how bad the Jacket run defense is, is last week's game against Virginia.

The Cavalier ground game has struggled all season. Still ranking 90th in rushing yards per game after struggling to get a push even against FCS schools like William & Mary, UVA amassed 240 rushing yards against Georgia Tech's defense.

Virginia Tech has a quarterback in Braxton Burmeister who has always been strongest as a rusher and therefore poses a similar threat on the ground that Virginia's Brennan Armstrong did.

With a host of able running backs -- especially with the surging Malachi Thomas -- the Hokies will do what they want on offense.

When the Jackets commit to stopping the run, they still fail to keep opposing offenses from driving downfield. Duke, for example, still ran the ball 62 times while its typically weak quarterback had his best performance in terms of passer rating against Georgia Tech's unbalanced defense.

Virginia Cavaliers vs. BYU Cougars
Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 10:15 p.m. ET (ESPN 2) at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah

Virginia Offense vs. BYU Defense

Virginia was and is a pass-first team. The Cavaliers own the nation's fifth-highest pass-play percentage.

This fact means that Virginia's offense matches up poorly against the Cougar defense because BYU's strongest position group is its cornerbacks.

This year, the Cougars benefit from returning a very experienced, very talented, and deep group of corners.

Examples of BYU's successful pass defense include the team's game against Boise State where it limited Bronco quarterback Hank Bachmeier to his worst passer rating of the season.

Still ranking 39th nationally in limiting opposing passer rating -- the Cougars suffered in this respect after facing a Baylor quarterback who built his efficiency off of the strong success on the ground that Virginia's low-ranked rush attack can't replicate -- the Cougar secondary can limit UVA's offensive strength.

BYU Offense vs. Virginia Defense

If you don't like the Cavalier offense, then it's impossible to like the Cavalier team because Virginia's defense is allowing just over 30 points per game, showing weakness both against the run and against the pass.

BYU has a somewhat run-first offense, although its mixed play-calling reflects balance.

Jaren Hall typically won't throw it more than 30 times for BYU. He presents a special threat to the Hoo defense, though, because UVA is vulnerable to mobile quarterbacks, as Jeff Sims' 65 rushing yards last week provides the latest example of.

UVA ranks 114th nationally in limiting opposing rushing yards partly because of mobile quarterbacks. But with very strong bodies like Tyler Allgeier and his 5.2 YPC, BYU also has the personnel at running back to thrive against a Cavalier front seven that has lost so many key personnel at linebacker over the years.

The Verdict

Both Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech will do everything it wants to offensively.

Meanwhile, BYU's strong pass defense will limit Virginia's pass-first offense and force Virginia to have to rely on its uniquely vulnerable defense to win.

Best Bet: Parlay Yellow Jackets/Hokies Over 55 at -108 & Cougars ML at -125 at +247 odds with Heritage

Last night in discussion thread I made the same point about how I think Shrader tearing up Vatech is ominous for their chances of defending Simms. Not sure I’m as confident in Hokies scoring output, you def right that jackets run d hasn’t been good the last few games but I still think their front 7 and stopping the run is strength of their defense. The Duke game was concerning for sure, last week a little different as I don’t think Hokies offense is really comparable to Uva high powered attack, yes Burmiester likes to run around but I think that where the comparisons end. He doesn’t pose nearly the passing threat that Armstrong does which id think makes his scrambling easier to defend. I was pretty surprised how much success Hokies had on the ground with their rbs vs cuse. Honestly it puzzles me anytime Hokies are able to score around 30 cause the offense is not very good imo. They took advantage of several good special teams play last week but that nothing new for them. I lean to jackets and over but not sure I’m comfy laying more than a fg (maybe that will come down?), Havnt decided yet on whether I play over cause as I said don’t trust what the Hokies offense gonna give us.

Man I must be missing something with byu cause I’ve seen their secondary look incredibly beatable, I’ve even brought up more than a few times how I was worried about their ability to cover! Lol.

Maybe my perception off but they are 108th in the country in completion percentage allowed, the reason Bachmeyer had his lowest rating of year against them was because they inexplicably let a terrible boise rushing attack control that game so he didn’t need to do much besides occasionally move the chains in that game. he did just that going 18-29 for 172 with no turnovers which is shocking for him! I’m assuming the low rating is simply cause he didn’t throw any tds? I watched that entire game and no way would one feel compelled to say any part of any byu unit played well.

Not only would I not give the d a gold star for that game the coaching decisions were awful! Despite falling apart with numerous fumbles in the second qrtr during a little rain shower, despite letting a weak on both Los boise team control this game in the trenches, despite not turning over that scrub Bachmeier, they still could have won if not for the fact the coach refused to attempt any fgs on the numerous trips they made into scoring range in the second half! Had they simply took the points when they got down there it would have been another awful boise 2nd half that cost them a win, instead he played every possession as if they had to score a td and turned it over on downs at least 3x in 2nd half!

I dunno man, I have to look closer at this one but my initial thought is uva gomna throw all over byu with plenty of success. This game going over wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Thanks for the write-ups. I like BYU for entirely different (situational) reasons. Since I began paying attention to such things, UVA has had an exceptionally large home/away performance dichotomy . This random trip to BYU (and elevation) after two solid home wins/covers seems like a really bad spot for UVA.

Last week's game shows that Virginia Tech's run defense remains powerless even when it knows that the opponent will run the ball.

You make a good case for the over.

Man I must be missing something with byu cause I’ve seen their secondary look incredibly beatable, I’ve even brought up more than a few times how I was worried about their ability to cover! Lol.

Maybe my perception off but they are 108th in the country in completion percentage allowed, the reason Bachmeyer had his lowest rating of year against them was because they inexplicably let a terrible boise rushing attack control that game so he didn’t need to do much besides occasionally move the chains in that game. he did just that going 18-29 for 172 with no turnovers which is shocking for him! I’m assuming the low rating is simply cause he didn’t throw any tds? I watched that entire game and no way would one feel compelled to say any part of any byu unit played well.

Not only would I not give the d a gold star for that game the coaching decisions were awful! Despite falling apart with numerous fumbles in the second qrtr during a little rain shower, despite letting a weak on both Los boise team control this game in the trenches, despite not turning over that scrub Bachmeier, they still could have won if not for the fact the coach refused to attempt any fgs on the numerous trips they made into scoring range in the second half! Had they simply took the points when they got down there it would have been another awful boise 2nd half that cost them a win, instead he played every possession as if they had to score a td and turned it over on downs at least 3x in 2nd half!

I dunno man, I have to look closer at this one but my initial thought is uva gomna throw all over byu with plenty of success. This game going over wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Yeah ok, I kept reading about how great BYU's cornerbacks were this year...albeit still no pass rush...I'll have to take your word on this one! Sort of scrambled to finish this. Thanks for the correction

Yeah ok, I kept reading about how great BYU's cornerbacks were this year...albeit still no pass rush...I'll have to take your word on this one! Sort of scrambled to finish this. Thanks for the correction

im certainly no scout, id be pretty surprised to hear their corners rate strongly in coverage but i have seen games where they were real disruptive up front even if they wernt getting a high rate of sacks they were making qb really uncomfortable, when that happened they have looked ok,, when teams have had time guys get open as i dont think they particularly athletic in the cover spots.

im certainly no scout, id be pretty surprised to hear their corners rate strongly in coverage but i have seen games where they were real disruptive up front even if they wernt getting a high rate of sacks they were making qb really uncomfortable, when that happened they have looked ok,, when teams have had time guys get open as i dont think they particularly athletic in the cover spots.
I will say that I’m expecting UVA run game to pale in comparison to what other teams have done vs BYU and it obviously helps a pass defense to face an offense unsupported by its ground game

Thanks for the write-ups. I like BYU for entirely different (situational) reasons. Since I began paying attention to such things, UVA has had an exceptionally large home/away performance dichotomy . This random trip to BYU (and elevation) after two solid home wins/covers seems like a really bad spot for UVA.

You make a good case for the over.
UVA‘s head coach coached at BYU for over a decade. But yeah gotta wonder how the players are treating this game when surely ACC is their top focus. And I agree this is a spot where you look to back BYU. Sorta surprised the line is this low? Although I am by no means a BYU expert.

UVA‘s head coach coached at BYU for over a decade. But yeah gotta wonder how the players are treating this game when surely ACC is their top focus. And I agree this is a spot where you look to back BYU. Sorta surprised the line is this low? Although I am by no means a BYU expert.

I was surprised byu favs but you guys makes fair points bout factors i didn’t think Bout, all things equal on a neutral id make uva somewhere between 4 to 6 point favs. I was really not expecting byu to be good this year, they def impressed me early on vs the pac12 but we know how those schools don’t show up any given week and byu pushed most them around in trenches, I started taking a bit a liking to them but I could see the warts. I don’t think uva a particularly good matchup for them on the defensive side, I’m pretty confident in saying they will throw all over cougs. Matchup def better on the other side as byu should be able to gash them w the run and id suspect that physical rb they got is gonna really wear them down, he gonna be a real problem when cougs manage to spring him into the second level. I’m not sure Hall is byu best option at qb, he better with hiis legs but I liked the way Romney gave those big wrs a chance.

I hate betting uva cause they a really High variance team, can’t trust them to hold a lead but not many leads safe against them either. Maybe disinterest or altitude will prevent that but I’m perfectly happy not being involved, maybe with the total but not a side. Between not liking to play uva games and the fact I don’t know what the outside factors being discussed spot wise are worth? Most power ratings I see have uva significantly better so home field and spot have to be given a lot of respect for this line to be here.

I was surprised byu favs but you guys makes fair points bout factors i didn’t think Bout, all things equal on a neutral id make uva somewhere between 4 to 6 point favs. I was really not expecting byu to be good this year, they def impressed me early on vs the pac12 but we know how those schools don’t show up any given week and byu pushed most them around in trenches, I started taking a bit a liking to them but I could see the warts. I don’t think uva a particularly good matchup for them on the defensive side, I’m pretty confident in saying they will throw all over cougs. Matchup def better on the other side as byu should be able to gash them w the run and id suspect that physical rb they got is gonna really wear them down, he gonna be a real problem when cougs manage to spring him into the second level. I’m not sure Hall is byu best option at qb, he better with hiis legs but I liked the way Romney gave those big wrs a chance.

I hate betting uva cause they a really High variance team, can’t trust them to hold a lead but not many leads safe against them either. Maybe disinterest or altitude will prevent that but I’m perfectly happy not being involved, maybe with the total but not a side. Between not liking to play uva games and the fact I don’t know what the outside factors being discussed spot wise are worth? Most power ratings I see have uva significantly better so home field and spot have to be given a lot of respect for this line to be here.
Disinterest? Altitude? Don't forget that kickoff is at 10:30 p.m. for the visitors.

I do wonder if this doesn‘t also apply to BYU? Like Virginia they just clinched a bowl berth…what do they gain here?
BYU has a bowl tie in with the Independence (no idea why) so they've known where they're going all along unless they get offered a better game I believe and with 2 losses/no conference affiliation I assume they've pretty much been playing knowing it will be Shreveport

Disinterest? Altitude? Don't forget that kickoff is at 10:30 p.m. for the visitors.

i hear ya, those kind of things are really tough for me cause i have no idea what they worth from a points perspective? if i would make uva --4/-5 on a neutral and for most part im not giving much for home field anymore (varies a bunch for me these days as some schools i give no HF points, quite a few im down around 2 points, only a few the tough venues im still giving 3/4 points).

are those factors worth 6-7 points which what they have to be to justify byu-2 for me? could be they are, or could be im off on the neutral site line, lol.. either way i have no interest on a side in this one,, hope you guys cash with cougs!!

BYU has a great fan base, one of the better HFAs in the mountains, I usually give them 4 as opposed to the typical 2-3 against other teams in the mountains. The elevation for me is worth another 2 pts for those that don't regularly play in it. Appears a high scoring game so UVA in the 2h could be really gassed.

BYU has a great fan base, one of the better HFAs in the mountains, I usually give them 4 as opposed to the typical 2-3 against other teams in the mountains. The elevation for me is worth another 2 pts for those that don't regularly play in it. Appears a high scoring game so UVA in the 2h could be really gassed.

Right on, that makes sense, that would put -2 just about right where I think it should be. Uva could definitely be gassed if cougs pound the rock as much they should and I expect them to with Allgeier. anyone playing cougs better hope the altitude effects uva offense cause it doesn’t matter how much they get down, they very kc chiefs like in the way they have the ability to score in bunches and get right back in games they had no business winning. I think uva the scariest game left on Pitt schedule so I’d be thrilled to see them lose a few before that game!!

Reactions: KJ
Right on, that makes sense, that would put -2 just about right where I think it should be. Uva could definitely be gassed if cougs pound the rock as much they should and I expect them to with Allgeier. anyone playing cougs better hope the altitude effects uva offense cause it doesn’t matter how much they get down, they very kc chiefs like in the way they have the ability to score in bunches and get right back in games they had no business winning. I think uva the scariest game left on Pitt schedule so I’d be thrilled to see them lose a few before that game!!

Don't worry, we'll happily oblige against Notre Dame :(

Oh hey @M.W. this is actually a great spot to fade Virginia for another reason.

Since Virginia started routinely becoming bowl eligible.

2017: They get the sixth win vs Georgia Tech then lose by 17 at Louisville
2018: They get the sixth win vs UNC then lose to Pitt at home by 10
2019: They get the sixth win vs UNC then escape 2-6 Georgia Tech at home by five

(2020 no win requirements).

Bowl eligibility is historically a big deal for Virginia. So the team falls flat after getting the sixth win.

The score in the Louisville game was 38-14 until Virginia got a touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go in the game

that should pretty much always be expected when you play against uva tho, they gonna put up a late garbage td or even worse they put up so many in the 4th they go from garbage td's to somehow winning the game, im looking at you Louisville!!! uva had no business winning that game, ville was the vastly better team for 3 and a half quarters!! i hate when i recall a shitty loss from weeks ago, now im mad all over again!! lol..

that should pretty much always be expected when you play against uva tho, they gonna put up a late garbage td or even worse they put up so many in the 4th they go from garbage td's to somehow winning the game, im looking at you Louisville!!! uva had no business winning that game, ville was the vastly better team for 3 and a half quarters!! i hate when i recall a shitty loss from weeks ago, now im mad all over again!! lol..
I‘m surprised your avatar doesn‘t remind you of that game, too lol :(

Back