Vikings vs Chiefs Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Vikings vs Chiefs: Week 9 NFL Picks & Game Predictions

Minnesota vs Kansas City
Sunday, November 3 at 1 p.m. ET at Arrowhead Stadium

Odds, Trends, And Injuries

Oddsmakers opened Minnesota as -3.5 point favorites in Kansas City. When they conceived this line, the expectation was that KC’s superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes would not play. However, some of the certainty has evaporated.

Experts seem split with some saying that he has a legitimate chance to play against Minnesota and others saying that the following week against Tennessee is a much more realistic option. This week, Mahomes practiced as the no. 2 quarterback.

Given the original timetable — 2-3 weeks was described as the absolute best case scenario for him to sufficiently recover from his dislocated kneecap — and perhaps given how competent backup quarterback Matt Moore looked against Green Bay — I speculate (emphasis on speculate!) that Mahomes will return against Tennessee.

A few trends speak in Minnesota’s favor. Minnesota is on a 3-1 ATS run since Kirk Cousins apologized for his poor performance. The one non-cover came in a ho-hum win against Washington that the Vikings were always in control of.

Moreover, Minnesota is on a 9-1 ATS run in early afternoon games while the Chiefs are enduring an 0-4 ATS run in November home games.

What Should We Make Of Matt Moore?

In his start last Sunday in place of Mahomes, Matt Moore put up a stellar stat line, going 24-for-36 for 267 yards and two touchdowns.

A lot of Moore’s success had to do with Green Bay’s defensive quality. The Packers generally refused to apply pressure, often sat back in coverage, not wanting to surrender the big play, and otherwise refused to be physical with Chief receivers at the line of scrimmage.

Also, Moore benefitted from some highly intelligent play-calling from Andy Reid, who could scheme wide receivers open, thus giving Moore an easy task to master for a big pass play.

So Moore wasn’t actually stellar. But he was competent and took what Reid and Green Bay’s defense gave him, allowing him to make ample use of his sundry playmakers at wide receiver and tight end.

How Big A Difference Would Mahomes Make?

Mahomes, obviously, is better than Moore and the line would reflect that if he were to play. But, if Mahomes is rushed back and plays on Sunday, then I am highly skeptical that we would see Mahomes in peak form.

What peak Mahomes is, is a mobile quarterback who makes incredible highlight-reel plays when things break down around him. But — and we’ve seen this before, like in KC’s loss against Indianapolis — a less than mobile Mahomes is relatively vulnerable.

Pass rushers are important to help contain Mahomes and, alternatively, to apply pressure on Moore. The Vikings rank 10th in adjusted sack rate. In particular, watch out for their edge rushers: Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen have combined for 12.5 sacks thus far.

Overall, Minnesota has one of the best pass defenses, ranking 12th in pass defense DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average).

I’ll be interested to see whether Xavier Rhodes can step up. He’s been targeted more this year and has been poor relative to his usual self. Rhodes likes to use his physicality and I imagine that he’ll show much more physicality especially at the line of scrimmage than Green Bay’s cornerbacks did.

At all events, Minnesota has one of the NFL's better defenses, ranking sixth in defensive DVOA, so it just needs to get a few stops for its offense.

Minnesota, Not Kansas City, Will Have The Better Offense On Sunday

Kansas City has grown famous for its offensive prowess and that’s fair enough. But the Vikings deserve enormous praise for the strides that they’ve made relative to last year.

This year, Minnesota’s offense ranks fifth in DVOA. Dalvin Cook is the NFL’s leading rusher and Stefon Diggs is the fourth-leading wide receiver. Kirk Cousins owns the second-best passer rating.

Under new Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski, Minnesota balances extreme explosiveness — it ranks first in number of 20+-yard throws and first in number of 10+-yard runs — and solid efficiency, a mix of great play-calling and great play design.

One feature of Stefanski’s offense is deception. He’s adept at fooling defenses by making one play look like another. Of course, every offense tries to do this. But Stefanski’s creativity adds a new dimension. Check out this example:

https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1182750140366491649?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1182750140366491649&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fzonecoverage.com%2F2019%2Fvikings%2Fwhy-kevin-stefanski-might-be-the-nfls-next-great-offensive-coach%2F

Stefanski also puts his players in better positions to succeed. He utilizes Cousins’ superb fake hand-off, he has Cooks running more outside zones, and he has Diggs running more deep routes.

As a result, both Diggs and Cooks are enjoying career-best years with the former averaging 19.1 YPR — more than five yards better than his previous season-best — and with Cook averaging 5.3 YPC — .5 yards more than his previous best.

Minnesota runs more play-action than any other team. So Cooks’ success is pivotal. He will thrive against a Kansas City run defense that ranks third-to-last and Cook’s success will encourage Cousins and Diggs to thrive as well.

Conclusion

Whether Mahomes or Moore is in, take Minnesota ATS. The Vikings actually play some defense and enjoy one of the league’s most prolific offense. I don’t like the „over“ because Minnesota can kill a lot of clock with its ground game.

Best Bet: Vikings ATS (odds TBA)

Wow it feels so different to write an article on a pleasant low-pressure evening than forcing myself up at 2 a.m. to write lol

Nothing against Vikings defense but I found it strange you claimed they have one of the best pass defenses right before saying they ranked 12th. Either I misunderstood something or we have a rather large gap in what we feel “one of best” means! Lol.

Good read tho.

Nothing against Vikings defense but I found it strange you claimed they have one of the best pass defenses right before saying they ranked 12th. Either I misunderstood something or we have a rather large gap in what we feel “one of best” means! Lol.

Good read tho.

I definitely meant to say one of the better

I definitely meant to say one of the better

Slightly above average seems more fair for 12th, lol.

I actually feel like they a better pass defense than 12th, don’t know how I feel about dvoa overall? I Havnt been bothering capping nfl much this year!! Lol.

No problem you saying they a good, one of Best, or one of better defenses., I prob just wouldn’t put the 12th ranking by that standard to back up my point right after! Lol

was your GB refusal to apply pressure/sat back in coverage/not physical at the LOS a result of watching the game or do you have stats to back that up?

^We got fans of all those teams here (except Chargers I think) so maybe they can pop in

Hard to know what to make of Chargers D imo as they've barely been tested...thir last opponents have been Chicago Tennessee Hodges-led Steelers, Broncos, Dolphins

Green Bay O in sync, but Chargers O has been massively disappointing and they just hired a new OC so seems sorta up in the air what they do offensively

Detroit has been more involved in some shootouts lately but they do struggle out west...per oddsshark: 2-8-1 last 11 games on the West Coast. They do rank last in opposing pass yards per game so maybe Carr can have another great game and per oddsshark: "Over" is 13-2 L 15 when Raiders host an East Coast team...uh does Detroit count as one? Anyways I don't think Oakland's secondary is as good as Detroit personnel-wise (especially when Slay is healthy...I think he's still nursing something...losing Diggs sucked, though) and the Raiders rank 30th in opp pass yards per game.

I'd say Lions/Raiders

Slightly above average seems more fair for 12th, lol.

I actually feel like they a better pass defense than 12th, don’t know how I feel about dvoa overall? I Havnt been bothering capping nfl much this year!! Lol.

No problem you saying they a good, one of Best, or one of better defenses., I prob just wouldn’t put the 12th ranking by that standard to back up my point right after! Lol

Yeah I said one of the better defenses...ranking sixth and one of the best pass defenses...ranking 12th. Idk what I was thinking, sometimes when i'm so mired in crunching data and prolly doing other shit, too I mix stuff up in my head I guess. Thanks for the heads-up, need you to read my stuff sooner amigo :D

Yeah I said one of the better defenses...ranking sixth and one of the best pass defenses...ranking 12th. Idk what I was thinking, sometimes when i'm so mired in crunching data and prolly doing other shit, too I mix stuff up in my head I guess. Thanks for the heads-up, need you to read my stuff sooner amigo :D

Do I get half of your 25 per article? :) lol

Why are Cheeseheads only -3.5 and line hasnt budged a bit all weekend... Is that a baitline , Rivers is horrible 2nd half home or away

Its on the road in GB the Pack would be -10. That doesn‘t seem like a soft line at all imo

Chargers have no HFA tho and will be 80% cheeseheads. I guess travel still involved but I tend to agree it feels short cause I don’t feel there should be any points for Hf here, this a neutral site how I’m capping it. Lol

Chargers have no HFA tho and will be 80% cheeseheads. I guess travel still involved but I tend to agree it feels short cause I don’t feel there should be any points for Hf here, this a neutral site how I’m capping it. Lol

Totally have no problem with you capping it like that. I‘m just not getting why this is a baitline. It seems completely fair imo

Moore was solid last sun night vs gb, but did we ever really think “man, Matt Moore is gonna do it. Kc got this”. Um no. Minn offense should pass and run on kc and minn d should limit kc a bit. Enough to win imo

Totally have no problem with you capping it like that. I‘m just not getting why this is a baitline. It seems completely fair imo

Yea I dunno I’d say it bait but it def gonna be everyone vs books.. hard to see sharps getting that involved w chargers. Browns another one, cept I think Sharps and squares pounding them! Bet that line skyrockets 2marro w books trying to get some donks money.

Yea I dunno I’d say it bait but it def gonna be everyone vs books.. hard to see sharps getting that involved w chargers. Browns another one, cept I think Sharps and squares pounding them! Bet that line skyrockets 2marro w books trying to get some donks money.

Who the hell is den starting at qb? Lock?

Back