Vikings vs. 49ers Preview and Pick

Dollaz

Pretty much a regular
Coming off a 5-10-1 season and a rookie QB, there wasn't a lot of optimisim in Minnesota, but they probably made the biggest jump of any team in the NFL. (in my rankings) They finished 7-9, but had a brutal stretch:

@Buff
Detroit
@GB
Atlanta
@NO
NE
@STL

Mike Zimmer is a great defensive coach and I think they have added pieces that should really help. He has a really strong front 7 with one of the top interior D-lines in the game to play the 2 gap defense he loves. I know Waynes got off to a rough start, but Newman/Rhodes should be an adequate corner tandem and they have elite safety play led by Smith. I think this Vikings defense could be on the way to a top 10 ranking....Anthony Barr as been very impressive and I like the potential of Hodges (hopefully replacing Greenway)

On offense, Bridgewater really came on at the end of the year and will benefit from Peterson for sure. I've always loved Norval as an OC and he has weapons to work with with the addition of Wallace. OL is a big question mark and the one big red flag for this team. Also Patterson is a unique weapon that adds a bit on offense and special teams.

I don't think I;ve pegged a team further down than the Niners; mainly because I don't like Kaep at all. Huge losses in Borland, McDonald, and, Willis Justin Smith; who were their 4 best defensive players last year. The loss of Culliver will also hurt at corneras he was one of the best coverage guys. These guys won't be replaced. They still have talent in Bowman and Lynch, but I expect the defense to take a big hit and it's been the cornerstone of the team over the past few years. On offense, they have a strong OL and the addition of Smith will help (he may be hobbled tonight) But, the running backs are average ish and the QB is not a guy I like. Boldin and Davis are a year older, who is he going to get the ball to?

Easy play for me, a team I'm high on vs. a team I'm low on. Give me the Vikes -2 for a big play.

I also like the falcons tonight small. Just think last year was a shit show and they still have Matt Ryan. Eagles overvalued due to the addition of Bradford and stomping teams in the preaseason.

Back