Vikings AT Packers Playoff Discussion

[TABLE="class: lines"]
<tbody>[TR="class: linesRowBot, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesSubHeader, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers - NFC Wild Card Playoffs</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRow, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD]Sat 1/5[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]103 Minnesota Vikings[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S1_3" size="4" maxlength="5" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"> <select id="altS1_3" name="altS1_3" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"><option value="0" selected="">+9½ -130</option><option value="1">+7½ -110</option><option value="2">+8 -115</option><option value="3">+7 +110</option></select>[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M1_3" size="4" maxlength="5" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"> +315 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L1_3" size="4" maxlength="5" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"> o46 -110 [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRowBot, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]
[TD]8:00PM[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]104 Green Bay Packers[/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="S2_3" size="4" maxlength="5" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"> <select id="altS2_3" name="altS2_3" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"><option value="0" selected="">-9½ +110</option><option value="1">-7½ -110</option><option value="2">-8 -105</option><option value="3">-7 -130</option></select> [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="M2_3" size="4" maxlength="5" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"> -380 [/TD]
[TD]<input id="editx" name="L2_3" size="4" maxlength="5" style="font-size: 1em; color: rgb(68, 68, 68);"> u46 -110 [/TD]
[TD]

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I don't think this game is cappable. On one hand, you have a chance to fade Ponder on teh road in a playoff game. ON the other, you'd be betting agaisnt ADP and the hot team. On one hand, GB has vets who have been there befoer. On the other, they have no running game and how healthy are Jenning, Nelson and Cobb?

No play if I've ever seen one. Def watch the weather though, if the winds are as bad as they could be, that might heavily favor Minny.

I don't think this game is cappable. On one hand, you have a chance to fade Ponder on teh road in a playoff game. ON the other, you'd be betting agaisnt ADP and the hot team. On one hand, GB has vets who have been there befoer. On the other, they have no running game and how healthy are Jenning, Nelson and Cobb?

No play if I've ever seen one. Def watch the weather though, if the winds are as bad as they could be, that might heavily favor Minny.

+1.... I also think that 9pts seems way too easy to take with MINN. I am sure most people are going to be lining up for that one. For that reason alone I would take GB if I was forced to pick one. I really don't like many bets this weekend.

Will the Pack have Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb playing? When is the last time that has happened? Seems to me that 1 or more of those guys have been out the last half of the season.
If they all play I think that the trio will put too much pressure on the MN D. Which in turn will put too much pressure on Ponder to match scores.

Will the Pack have Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb playing? When is the last time that has happened? Seems to me that 1 or more of those guys have been out the last half of the season.
If they all play I think that the trio will put too much pressure on the MN D. Which in turn will put too much pressure on Ponder to match scores.

even if all 3 play, we don't know how healthy they are. Nelson seems like hes gimpy every week. But with those 3 and JJ, you are right, that could be scary. Just another reason why its a layoff for me though.

^^^^

Ponder threw 1 or 2 INT's in the RZ in that game. It was a very winnable game for the Vikings. With all that said, how much longer can Adrian keep this team in it?

If you're betting this game.....the biggest injury news you need to keep an eye on is Antoine Winfield. If you watched the game on Sunday, the Vikings dominated and their secondary was stout..........until Winfield went out. Rodgers had a field day. Winfield has a broken hand, and didnt play after the middle of the 2nd quarter last week. If he doesn't play this week, the Pack win by 2 TDs.

yeah, and the important thing to remember about last week is that Ponder played the game of his life and they still barely eeked out a win. They could give up 250 on the ground to ADP and still win this one by 10+. Ponder is really the key here

I think it's asking too much of minny to sweep what is basically a playoff home and home with this gb team. Vikes off 4 straight upset wins, at some point you run out of gas and fast. I see that happening this week, playing outdoors for the first time in 5 weeks and at night for the first time in about 10 weeks.

Short week also favors gb. Makes it tougher for minny to get back to work after exhaling the way any human would since last Sunday's game. Short week with the inferior qb is a dicey proposition.

Sherels, Winfield's replacement after he got hurt, gave up 6 catches for 123 including the Nelson bomb. If Winfield can't go or goes with a hand that prevents him from playing bump and run, gb might get up quickly.

Much less of a kicking advantage for minny since walsh's boot can't account for anything more than 48ish in a lambeau night game too.

I remember reading somethin maybe 2 years ago.....Vikings haven't won a game when it was below freezing in years.....might have to back check that....but I would assume that's still pretty accurate....

I'll peak at it. I think GB is a very safe teaser partner....maybe with nd and bama

Minnesota @ Green Bay

Aaron Rodgers opens the postseason with a full arsenal as slot man Randall Cobb returns from his ankle sprain and Jordy Nelson rejoined the lineup in Week 17, at the back end of an injury-plagued year. Greg Jennings caught fire late in the season, securing a team-high 15 passes for 165 yards and three touchdowns in Weeks 16-17. Include red-zone maven James Jones and talented if underachieving tight end Jermichael Finley, and Green Bay boasts the most lethal pass offense in this year's playoffs. The Packers have not had all five pass catchers play in the same game since the season opener. It's the one area in which they hold a commanding edge on Minnesota. ... The Vikings ranked 24th versus the pass this regular season, allowing opponents to compile a 28:10 TD-to-INT ratio, 63.9 completion rate, and 92.3 QB rating -- the league's eighth highest clip. During Leslie Frazier's six seasons overseeing Minnesota's defense, Rodgers has shredded the Vikings for 24 touchdown passes, only four picks, and 70.7-percent completions. Green Bay is a virtual lock for passing success Saturday night at Lambeau. Minnesota will simply hope to contain it by feeding Adrian Peterson in the offensive run game and playing assignment-sound defense to keep Rodgers off the field. ... One worrisome injury for Minnesota is slot corner Antoine Winfield's broken hand, which was aggravated in last week's home win over Green Bay and limited Winfield to 18-of-65 snaps. Rodgers attacked fill-in Marcus Sherels relentlessly after Winfield's departure, and go-to guy Cobb wasn't even playing. The Cobb matchup with whomever Minnesota uses to guard the slot could have a big impact on the outcome of this game.

The Vikings can rush the passer (fifth in sacks) and hold their own against the run (No. 11 rank), but the back end of Frazier's defense is reeling entering January. Right corner Chris Cook has struggled since returning from a broken arm two games ago. Winfield isn't himself, and rookie Josh Robinson's playing time has been cut. Top outside reserve A.J. Jefferson was never any good, and along with Sherels got eaten alive in the Week 17 game by Rodgers. Nelson, Cobb, Jennings, and Jones ought to have their way with this unit. And Rodgers doesn't play favorites in his progressions; he unfailingly throws to the open man. ... The Packers are committed to a hot-hand backfield approach, although the running game could be a bit of an afterthought in the Wild Card Round considering Minnesota's stoutness versus the run and susceptibility against the pass. 5-foot-8, 203-pound scatback type DuJuan Harris (14 carries, 70 yards) carried the mail in Week 17. In Week 16, late-season street free agent pickup Ryan Grant led the team in carries (20) and rush yards (80), scoring a pair of garbage-time touchdowns. Alex Green had been the lead back before that. Ultimately, Packers coach Mike McCarthy utilizes the running game as a change-of-pace element of offense; a complementary means of moving the ball. If the run game is not clicking early on, McCarthy will be more than willing to abandon it and give Rodgers the keys.

Although Christian Ponder has played better recently, the Vikings can confidently be expected to saddle up Peterson as their offensive centerpiece. Facing Packers coordinator Dom Capers' mixed fronts, Peterson gashed Green Bay for 409 yards on 55 carries (7.44 YPC) in these clubs' two regular season meetings, scoring three touchdowns. Capers used an eight-man box on 13 of the 55 runs. Peterson averaged an incredible 6.9 yards per tote versus the 13 crowded looks. ... An unsung hero behind Minnesota's rushing success has been lead blocker Jerome Felton, who had Packers inside linebacker A.J. Hawk's number in Week 17 and has quietly been a bulldozing force all season. Green Bay ranks 17th in run defense and allows the seventh most yards per carry in football (4.53), so Capers' group is very much vulnerable on the ground. ... Rock-solid line play is another reason for Vikings optimism. Tackles Matt Kalil and Phil Loadholt, guards Charlie Johnson and Brandon Fusco, and center John Sullivan have been a picture of continuity; not one of them has missed a start this year. Kalil limited All-World pass rusher Clay Matthews to three tackles, one sack, and one QB hit in the regular season finale. Ponder has absorbed just four sacks and committed one turnover in his last three games, while accounting for five all-purpose touchdowns.

Ponder made big-time throws late in the Week 17 upset and finished with a season-best 120.2 passer rating. While Ponder may prove in over his head if Minnesota falls behind, demanding that its quarterback engineers a comeback, he is playing well enough to effectively manage games and keep his team competitive. Overall, the passing game is still a weakness on the Vikings' side. They can't afford a big early-game deficit. ... Z receiver Michael Jenkins managed three catches for 37 yards and a touchdown in the two 2012 meetings with Green Bay. He's mostly a blocking receiver. ... X receiver Jerome Simpson was a major disappointment in his first -- and likely last -- regular season with Minnesota, catching 26 passes for 274 yards and zero touchdowns. He didn't exceed 50 yards in any of his 12 appearances. ... Rookie slot man Jarius Wright possesses big-play ability, but has been wildly inconsistent filling in for injured Percy Harvin. Wright did blow by Packers right corner Sam Shields for a 65-yard bomb off play-action to set up last week's game-winning touchdown. If the Vikings are to have any semblance of passing success in Green Bay, Wright and Kyle Rudolph are the likeliest means. ... Rudolph has been less of a receiving factor down the stretch, however, as his on-field impact is showing up more as a blocker in the running game. He still finished the regular season with nine touchdowns. All nine occurred in the red zone.

Score Prediction: Packers 30, Vikings 20

randy_moss_moon.jpg

I think there is a solid chance Winfield suits up. Apparently he is being fitted with a larger cast tor try and last a bit longer than last week but I am thinking he starts.

shit down to 7.5 now

Man .....scary. I feel like the situation just sets up perfect for Packers

Joe Webb took 1st team reps in practice, but Ponder still supposed to start. Ponder not 100%. Might be something to keep an eye on.

Hazardous weather outlook national weather service green bay wi 406 am cst sat jan 5 2013

vilas-oneida-forest-florence-northern marinette-lincoln-langlade- menominee-northern oconto-door-marathon-shawano-wood-portage- waupaca-outagamie-brown-kewaunee-waushara-winnebago-calumet- manitowoc-southern marinette-southern oconto- 406 am cst sat jan 5 2013

this hazardous weather outlook is for north central and northeast wisconsin. .

Day one...today and tonight snow showers are expected across north-central wisconsin tonight. Freezing drizzle is also possible tonight across the rest of the area. Although widespread travel problems are not anticipated...the snow showers and freezing drizzle could lead to a few slick spots on area roads.

Vikings win this game outright. Look at the body of work. Yes GB may be a better team but do not match up with the Vikings. Take away Ponders terrible game in Lambeau, the Vikings are 2-0 against tha Pukers. This matchup and weather is deadly for GB. Upset tonight and I will be putting my money where my mouth is. Already have $200 tied up on them winning straight up and will probably double it.

Vikings win this game outright. Look at the body of work. Yes GB may be a better team but do not match up with the Vikings. Take away Ponders terrible game in Lambeau, the Vikings are 2-0 against tha Pukers. This matchup and weather is deadly for GB. Upset tonight and I will be putting my money where my mouth is. Already have $200 tied up on them winning straight up and will probably double it.
I think it is tough to sweep a team 3-0

I see a slaughter.....been wrong before, but health

Vikings also will use the weather to their advantage, I hope it gets bitter cold windy and why not throw in some snow. We will make this a running ground and pound game.

I think GB will want to make a special point to come out firing tonight. Minny has absolutely dominated that ass in the first halves of both games this year.

Albert Breer ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>AlbertBreer
... Ponder will get to Lambeau early and get treatment. Expectation has been he'll start, be monitored throughout. We'll see if that changes

Expand

<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">5m</small>Albert Breer ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>AlbertBreer
Ponder's elbow caused fatigue issues midweek. Vikings rested him, but based on the last 3 days, doesn't seems like it's improved. ...

Expand

<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">23m</small>Albert Breer ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>AlbertBreer
RT <s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(102, 193, 213);">@</s>StribDW: Have been told it is "looking more likely" Joe Webb will start tonight. Still no final word. But Vikings much closer to Plan B.

Public always overreacts to a backup QB. Ponder may be the starter but I doubt the drop off to Webb is as significant as Roethlesberger to Branch for example

Webb ruins everything gb did in practice all week. That kind of qb with willing blocking receivers and AP is a disaster to face having prepped for something totally different.

I think GB was smart enough to have a plan for Webb. There was suspicion all week he may start. He was getting the reps after all

he's a running threat, they are going to need 200+ to run anyway

think if the planned for it, which it sounds like they did it helps them

I still think GB is way too much, but Ponder wouldn't be the difference

Back