VC and Scarf Jaguars vs Jets Discussion Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Team Scarf plays Team VC on Sunday so let's get a winner for the forum...i'll try to get things started from the Jags' perspective and then Scarf will join us when he has time

Injuries...Fournette still limited in practice, Yeldon the backup didn't practice yesterday. Would be tough without either of those guys. But even if they're in there, they're probably going to be very limited in terms of statistical success because the defense will focus on them and make them pass. That was the Titans' game plan and it worked. Bortles was totally a let-down after an inspired effort against the Pats. Against the Pats, the receivers often proved too fast and athletic for the Pats secondary and Bortles took advantage with a lot of beautiful throws. But then against the Titans looked like he did in the Wild Card game against the Bills. Just couldn't throw the ball accurately, was limited to the shortest throws possible, did the most damage on his legs. The Titans had given up a good amount of yards to Watson then Tannehill and then looked impenetrable against Bortles (I had high expectations for Titans secondary before the season anyways).

Plus, LT Cam Robinson is on IR and two other o-linemen were limited in practice. The lack of protection definitely didn't help Bortles develop a rhythm throwing the ball.

Bortles is clearly inconsistent and i'd certainly want to know from Scarf how the Jets cornerbacks would hold up against the Jags' receivers (top guy Marqise Lee on IR) with the Jets' D presumably being focused on stopping the run. And also if the Jets' pass rush can take advantage of the Jags' injuries up front.

Jags' D is clearly elite and pretty healthy (Campbell practiced in full so he's healthy). Not much to say there, top corners, solid pass rush, sturdy run defense led by sideline to sideline linebackers (Jack was going to replace Posluszny at MLB last year but didn't have the football IQ that he does now to be successful). Not much to say here. I know that Darnold is INT-prone and that's obviously a problem.

This is going to be a very competitive matchup. You know, like the one a hammer has vs. a nail.

Well wouldn't that only be competitive if there were other hammers involved? Each one looking to drive the nail to fulfill its function as hammer

Well wouldn't that only be competitive if there were other hammers involved? Each one looking to drive the nail to fulfill its function as hammer

Oh boy wonder, that's MY FRIGGIN POINT! ;-)

Have about 89 clients looking for something...but I will try to get something up here shortly where I will expand on a bunch of topics in the next day or so.

Here is one of the most enormous edges that the Jags have right now. The situation off the field.

Head coach for the JJ is about 900 times smarter than Todd Bowles who couldn't diagram a straight line if you asked him to.

Furthermore, Marrone (much like a Coughlin-led regime) is going to be PISSED about the lackluster performance last week vs. Tennessee. Intangibles all favor the Jags here.

Will get in-depth on what the problems of the Jets are in this spot ASAP.

Yea losing to the rival Titans for third time in a row and doing that after beating the Pats thats definitely gotta piss off a lot of guys. Fournette reportedly looked agile in practice while making cuts so maybe thats a good sign but Marrone seems rather secretive about his status

Take the under and move on.

Jets can’t be consistently run on and good luck with Bortles on passing downs. Rookie without good tight ends against the Jags, good luck. Whoever gets to 10 wins.

Take the under and move on.

Jets can’t be consistently run on and good luck with Bortles on passing downs. Rookie without good tight ends against the Jags, good luck. Whoever gets to 10 wins.

This is what they call on the interwebs...a spoiler alert. :-)

But I think it's dead on...raems, no arguments there. Bates and Bowles aren't going to allow Darnold to make any mistakes because they're babying him and the O-Line is hot garbage....Jets shouldn't get more than 10 max in this spot, which leads to a FG under being the way a lot of smart folk are going to attack this game.

The Jets don’t have the players to attack the Jags with 12 personnel (one back 2 tight ends) which is what Jax is susceptible against. They’ll either be conservative or try to spread them out - neither one will work.

Agreed, the Jets offensive line is going to be absolutely annihilated by the Jags D line. That eliminates the running game right there...next problem comes in that the Jags have 2 outstanding corners. Anyone who knows anything has seen that Sammy D. is ALWAYS looking for Anunwa in his progressions. Quincy has a crazy high target %. You put Ramsey on him and it's big time trouble for the NYJ moving the ball.

This game will be about how Jax wants to attack the Jets defenders. Fournette and his health? How much do they want to use him in this one. Jets strength is their D line, but Jax has a top offensive line themselves. There are just way too many ways for the Jaguars to exploit the Jets in this one. Plus the Jets secondary while talented is stupid and banged up a bit.

Jags o-line is pretty banged up though. Fournette, even if he plays, does much worse without Parnell blocking for him, who was limited in practice. Fournette without Parnell: 1.9 ypc vs Chargers, 4.0 vs Browns, 2.1 vs Cardinals. So 2 of his worst ypc performances. Against Browns it was 2.9 YPC with a 28 yard run. Cann also limited and Cam Robinson on IR

I generally have a feeling that this will be the straw that breaks the camels back with Bortles that makes Coughlin say ok fuck this and force him to start exploring alternatives. The fact that they didn’t trade for Bridgewater is truly insane to me.

You don’t need a ceiling. You need a guy who doesn’t turn it over and is capable of hitting guys accurately - the basics.

I’d love the under if I wasn’t scared to death of defensive scores from both sides. One elite defense vs a turnover prone rookie and another very good defense vs a inconsistent qb who has been known to turn it over himself from time to time., I feel like best thing to do here is tease jags and forget it.

I’d love the under if I wasn’t scared to death of defensive scores from both sides. One elite defense vs a turnover prone rookie and another very good defense vs a inconsistent qb who has been known to turn it over himself from time to time., I feel like best thing to do here is tease jags and forget it.

Hoping Darnold just checks down the whole time. Took Enunwa outta my fantasy team hes so dependent on him like someone said earlier Jalen should be on his ass

Back