Van vs. Edm...

twoface

Pretty much a regular
i don't get the line movement...although it is not drastic, but how can people take the oilers tomorrow?
They are on a long losing streak and honestly, it would not suprise me if they lost the rest of their games this season.
They still have alot of injuries and even with a healthy lineup (including smyth, bergeron, hemsky...) they still couldn't beat the nucks...so why do ppl think they can win w/o these players??

The only reasons i can think of that people might take the oilers are:

- They played better vs. the blues and they are due for a win
- Mitchell and Salo may not play tomorrow.
- Canucks look ahead to nashville and a chance of an upset...
- Canucks seem to play down against struggling teams (ie: CBJ, LA, Phx, Chi) whereas vs. top teams they bring their 'A' game (Det, Minny, SJ).

Am I missing anything else?

Because even w/o mitchell and salo, the nucks play a strong defensive system that requires team defense, so the loss of these defensemen would not impact them too much on the back end. As well, the sedins are rolling , they've got nice balanced scoring from 4 lines and i'm sure luongo is by far the better goalie than roloson/markannen.
I know edm has a better home record...but the way they are playing right now, I do not think they have any home ice advantage...plus, there will be a fair share of vancouver fans in the arena anyway.
Since this is still a divisional rival game, the nucks should still come out strong.

Thoughts?

The only thing I can think of is 'due' for a win for the home team in a west coast all canadian game.

IMO, playing well against St Louis, and playing well vs a division leader is apples and oranges, for obvious reasons.

Personally, Im with you in that I really dont know if Edmonton will win until next year. They have absolutley nothing to play for other than pride, and in all honesty, I think they lost all of that on deadline day as well.

Yeah VAN will be one of my plays for the night. I hope people do start putting money on EDM to push the line down a bit. The "due" theory is very inconsistent and I would really only apply that theory to a good team at least. EDM, unfortunately, does not fall under that category. The only way I can see VAN losing this game is that they play down to EDM level and take them for granted. That reason alone can cause any decent team to lose to half ass teams (see TOR vs. WSH, circa March 2007). As you stated, EDM still has way too many injuries and it seems like when one person is healthy, another one is down. Yes they did play well against STL but it would be a mistake to put STL and VAN in the same league as VAN is on a roll right now.

Only other factor I can also see is the Canucks looking ahead to the Predators game on Wednesday at home and wanting to get out of this Oilers game in a healthy way and hope for a points.

Silly, I know... But I can recall 2 times since THursday it happened. Leafs losing to Washington on Friday and was mentioned countless tiems about the game vs MTL on Saturday, Philly beating Atlanta on Thursday when they played with the Thrashers the Rangers the next night

Last edited:
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">That explains why I can't buy a win anymore. After this weekend, the losses are mounting up in basketball, as well as my hockey picks"I am in a fetal position in the corner, rocking back and forth, mumbling why can't I win any f.....g games"?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Don't worry Terps, you're not alone on this one. I had a pretty brutal weekend as well. I think I'm going to be more selective on games as well. Bounce back time tonight!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm looking for 1 winner tonight, so I can regain my confidence. Thanks for the words dx!
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So Vancouver has beaten this team 4 times. It is a Detroit Nashville sandwitch game. Their best 2 defensemen may be out. They have scored 2 power play goals last 8 games. Roloson in his last 3 games has a save percentage of 925. Rolosen on Mondays this season is 4-1 with a save percentage of 965. Luongo 3-7 last 10 on the road on Monday and a 906 save percentage on Mondays this year. The 2 teams both played the Blues recently and both went to overtime. And the group decision seems to be to play Vancouver as large road chalk. We need an icon to show amazement.

So Vancouver has beaten this team 4 times. It is a Detroit Nashville sandwitch game. Their best 2 defensemen may be out. They have scored 2 power play goals last 8 games. Roloson in his last 3 games has a save percentage of 925. Rolosen on Mondays this season is 4-1 with a save percentage of 965. Luongo 3-7 last 10 on the road on Monday and a 906 save percentage on Mondays this year. The 2 teams both played the Blues recently and both went to overtime. And the group decision seems to be to play Vancouver as large road chalk. We need an icon to show amazement.

:new_shocked:or :4_12_12:

I personally don't put much stalk in Monday Tuesday stuff, nor would I be caught playing Edmonton... most likely the rest of the way.

But certainly not laying the chalk on the road with the Canucks. Even still, they are 5-2 vs the Oilers this year,

Luongo 6-4 career vs the Oilers GAA of 2.84, road GAA of 2.31 this year
Rolosson 11-9 vs Van, 2.21 GAA 2.97 GAA @ home.

Rollie home GAA is a concern for me, as are their 12 players on the injury report, including the likes of Staios, Lupol, etc etc.

Vancouver may have 2 PP last 8... Edmonton has 1 last 10...

If I was to play anything on the game I think it would be the under, but not at 5... much rather see it at 5.5.

I'll be on the Canucks here despite reading Tuck's post. I might be caught in a trap and the "too obvious pick", but I'm fading the Oil until something drastic changes there. Vancouver could beat them 3:0 by playing 1 very good period, Vancouver are a lot better than these Oilers.

Tuck said Vancouver are missing their two best defensemen, how about the Oilers then? Their injury list is way longer, plus the fact they lost all cohesion after the Smyth trade.

I'll take it. :shake:

Yeah I don't think salo or mitchell made the trip to edm.
Yes this could be a letdown game but on paper this one looks good. Nice to see the line movement swinging back and now 61% on the nucks compared to 54 last night when i posted.

I think that St.louis plays the nucks hard every time and sanford was 5-0 career vs. nucks until last game.
People are using the edm vs. stl game as an indication of how edm vs. vancouver will play out.
If you do, just keep in mind that during the blues game, they had 15 min. of penalty and edm was able to squeak in 1 PPG to tie the game up.
Edm's AHL defense allowed St.Louis to fire 40 shots at roloson.
Also I think that if the oilers would've won any game, they should've done it against the blues since they were capping off their 3 game road trip (cal,van,edm).

i would not be surprised if this one ended up being a 1 goal game. But on paper, you gotta like vancouver's chances.

Congrats to the nucks backers tonight !
Canucks didn't seem too into it tonight, but thank god for the sedins and luongo again!

:cheers:

Back