USC hires Steve Sarkisian

Agreed. He's a good recruiter, no doubt but I think he's underachieved with that talent. I think I would have stuck with Oregeron another year before going with Sark. I had a feeling he'd be one of the finalists though given his time there during their run.

Edit. I know you can't just have Oregeron for another year. You've gotta lock someone up for recruiting.

I think they would have been better off giving Orgeron the full time gig. He's a hell of a recruiter and he relates really well with the players. Would be shocked if Sark didn't make him assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator

Sark recruiting guy at was is supposed to be just as good as ed...

I think ed could get a head coaching job somewhere..

Not sure who would have been much better than sark, Based on who was available...they love pete carrol guys

Usc hiring sark may very well lead to mora leaving ucla..

Rumors that wash has offered him the job or will offer him the job

And mora isn't going to udub. Not gonna pretend I'm not freaked out by the possibility cuz Ive always assumed he'd eventually end up there but the timing is bad. He wants more money for his assistants which is in the works.

Yeah, i think if ucla meets his demands he would stay, but being a california public school arent they restricted financially to a degree?

They are and for a long time the financial commitment to football was pathetic but they've stepped their game up since hiring mora. The word is the assistants will get a bump from 5 mil to 7 mil. And they just announced the plans for a practice facility

Mora signed new 6-yr deal...played UCLA perfectly. http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-jim-mora-20131204,0,3874541.story#axzz2mTNt9JOK

Sark a weak hire for USC...good recruiter but proved a truly mediocre HC.

UDub has new stadium, stocked roster and nice fan base...it'll be interesting to see their hire.

A mediocre hc? You do realize how bad Dub was when he took over, werent they like 0 - 12 and been blasted in the majority of the games? From what I read next year was the big year for UW. Its not like it is easy to recruit players to play in the northwest in the cold and rain.

A mediocre hc? You do realize how bad Dub was when he took over, werent they like 0 - 12 and been blasted in the majority of the games? From what I read next year was the big year for UW. Its not like it is easy to recruit players to play in the northwest in the cold and rain.

Gave him props as recruiter...and UDub does have one helluva football history with an amazing HFA (even though they were beat when SARK took over).

Follow CFB Matrix on twitter cfbmatrix.com/ and they have a Coach Effect Rating (largely based on a coach's over/under performance vs. recruiting rankings). Sark has had a negative coach effect rating every year at UDub. By the way, Brown and Muschamp are the lowest rated HCs...so there has to be some truth to their rankings. :)

Ed Orgeron is a terrible head football coach and totally incapable of leading a program like USC. It was the correct choice not to keep him. As for Sarkisian...we will see, I tend to believe he isn't the guy either. The one fanbase that may win in all this is Washington.

will come back to this...but it wasn't a single, or a HR...but an RBI double...the best Pat could do, full picture.

sumlin was the guy, but that was taken off the table last minute. the loss to ucla gave Pat an out. (see other thread from last week about Coach O.) so he went with the best available option, Sark.

it's a solid hire. much better coach...and a very good recruiter. and considering who he's bringing with him, recruiting won't take a hit.

Coach O had to leave to save face...plus he'll find a job somewhere. But note that there's no outcry at USC. It was a win, win...again, considering everything.

I agree there is no outcry regarding Ed leaving or the Sark hiring, but there certainly isn't any excitement regarding the hire. USC alum I know are just kinda blah about it.

At the end of the day they weren't getting Meyer, Saban, Gruden, Sumlin or Shaw, so considering what was out there who was that "much" better? i don't think there was serious interest on either side with Peterson

I agree there is no outcry regarding Ed leaving or the Sark hiring, but there certainly isn't any excitement regarding the hire. USC alum I know are just kinda blah about it.

At the end of the day they weren't getting Meyer, Saban, Gruden, Sumlin or Shaw, so considering what was out there who was that "much" better?
i don't think there was serious interest on either side with Peterson

Think you channeled Jeremy Foley with this quote...unfortunately.

At the end of the day they weren't getting Meyer, Saban, Gruden, Sumlin or Shaw, so considering what was out there who was that "much" better? i don't think there was serious interest on either side with Peterson

haden was on dp show this morning and said chucky ain't gonna coach at the college level. if he coaches again, it'll be the NFL.

I think they dodged a bullet by not getting Sumiln. 4-5 years as a HC and not once has he fielded a defense that has been mediocre, much less championship level. I assume USC wants to think in terms of championships, and not losing 2-4 games a year because most FCS schools can put up 28+ on them. Surprised that James Franklin didn't get more attention.

A school like USC should be hiring a coach that has them contending for National Championships, not Pac 12 South titles. They have a fat wallet, they could have have a shortlist of 3-4 names and snare one

I think they dodged a bullet by not getting Sumiln. 4-5 years as a HC and not once has he fielded a defense that has been mediocre, much less championship level. I assume USC wants to think in terms of championships, and not losing 2-4 games a year because most FCS schools can put up 28+ on them. Surprised that James Franklin didn't get more attention.
Ohio State fans cheered when Mark Snyder got the Marshall job. Get a real coordinator.

A school like USC should be hiring a coach that has them contending for National Championships, not Pac 12 South titles. They have a fat wallet, they could have have a shortlist of 3-4 names and snare one

Agree...who exactly would be on that shortlist?

Agree...who exactly would be on that shortlist?

yeah, it's been matter-of-fact...imo, cuz they knew it had to be done.

but that's also my point...those HRs just weren't there/available...Sark was the best fit from what was out there. and again, Coach O wasn't really a legit option.

Back