US Bank Discussion and picks..

• Thread starter Thread starter abcs
  • Start date Start date
A

abcs

Well its a new week and a new tourney. Went 4 - 0 last week, but thats old news. This is a watered down field, and I am looking in at the guys on the Ryder cup Bubble. I will be back later with picks.. anyone have any insight? :cheers:

Jeff Sluman (-146) over Tom Pernice Jr 72 holes
I usually dont play this much juice, but well see what happens.
Jeff has won this tourney twice, and has 6 top 10's including 3 in the last 5 years. Pernice hasnt played this tourney in 3 years.. and his 3 times before that he was 72nd and missed the cut twice.
Recent form shows that Jeff is playing a lot better ( and would have finished really high last week besides a bad last round), Making the cut in his last 2 tourneys and in the last 5.. he has two top 5 finishes. Tom Pernice has missed the cut in his last 2 tourneys.

Risking 2 caps.. :drinking:

Steve Flesch -110 over Bob Estes 72 hole Matchup

Risking 1 cap and 2 Turbins

Good luck bro..

I'll prolly tail yas for small change this weekend.

I totally agree about the Ryder Cup angle...thats been good to me last few times it has come up. I am so glad Chris got back in top 10 last week..he was a sure captains pick even outta top 10 and that gives lehman some room for his 2 captains picks...Chris and Phil were magic at presidents last year

I've never bet golf, but I hadn't nascar until a few weeks ago... follow it a bit, but with US Bank championship in Milwaukee... I know Sluman, Jerry Kelly, Calcavechia, and Perry all seem to do pretty well year in and year out...

Would look for Steve Stricker to do well on the home course as well, with how he's played lately... although i'm not even sure who's in the field... eek

Balance of native sons high at U.S. Bank

Posted: July 25, 2006

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Gary D'Amato
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
[/FONT] The U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee doesn't require entrants to hold a valid Wisconsin driver's license, establish state residency or know the difference between cod and perch at the Friday night fish fry.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to be born and bred Badger red.

Every PGA Tour event can count on a few hometown players to support the tournament and sell some tickets but the U.S. Bank Championship takes it to the extreme. It's as Wisconsin as the belch after a beer-soaked brat.

Fourteen golfers in the field this week call or have called America's Dairyland home (15 if you count Dan Forsman, who had a cup of coffee - or maybe it was formula - in Rhinelander before his family moved to California when he was a toddler).

"We have four or five guys from Rhode Island who play the Deutsche Bank Championship (in Norfolk, Mass.) and we think that's a big deal," Brad Faxon said. "To have 14, that's awesome."

The Badger Bunch accounts for nearly 10% of the field of 156. If all their friends and relatives buy tickets, there's no room in the bleachers for anyone else.

There are the five PGA Tour members: Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly of Madison, Appleton native J.P. Hayes, Fox Point native Skip Kendall and Pewaukee native Mark Wilson, who is forgiven for moving to Chicago.
There are the Wisconsin PGA Section members: Charlie Brown, Bill Kokott and Jim Schuman. There are the sponsor exemptions: Andy North, Nick Gilliam, David Roesch, Mario Tiziani and Ben Walter. And there's Tim Cantwell Jr., who earned one of four spots in open qualifying Monday.
Unfortunately, they're not all going to be around for the weekend, which brings new meaning to the phrase "cutting the cheese."

Combined, the 14 Wisconsin golfers have teed it up at the U.S. Bank Championship 121 times and finished among the top 10 on 13 occasions. They've earned exactly $1,967,879.26 in Milwaukee and have spent most of it within 100 miles of Brown Deer Park.

They've won two U.S. Open titles (North), 10 PGA Tour titles and an NCAA individual championship (Gilliam). North is a member of the Wisconsin State Golf Association Hall of Fame. Kendall is to be inducted Saturday night and Hayes will join him later this summer.

But here's the most impressive statistic: 16 of the last 19 State Open titles have been won by golfers in the U.S. Bank field.

And talk about nepotism. This isn't a PGA Tour event, it's golf's version of "The Sopranos." See if you can keep this straight:

Kelly married Schuman's sister, Carol, and Schuman is Kelly's swing coach. Stricker married Tiziani's sister, Nicki, and Tiziani's father, Dennis, is Stricker's swing coach. Kokott married Schuman's cousin, Barb Gentilli, and Gentilli is . . . oh, wait, she doesn't coach anybody.

But that's not all. Cantwell's father, who by sheer coincidence happens to be named Tim Cantwell Sr., runs the locker room at Brown Deer Park. It's hard to say how Junior will play this week, but you can bet his shoes will be shined.

You think these guys have a home-course advantage?

*North helped redesign several holes at Brown Deer Park, which is a little like Matt Kenseth paving the track at the Milwaukee Mile. North's caddie this week is Gary Van Sickle, a former Milwaukee Journal sportswriter who now works for Sports Illustrated magazine. They figure, combined, they've played Brown Deer hundreds of times.

They've got nothing on Kendall, who grew up just down the block and was so small when he started playing here he got lost in the rough.

It was on the practice putting green at Brown Deer where a teenage Kendall learned the "claw" putting grip from a local named Bud Baker. For reasons only a golfer would understand, Kendall stored the information in the recesses of his brain and, two decades later, during a rain delay in Orlando, showed the claw to a disconsolate Chris DiMarco, who was on the verge of three-putting himself off the PGA Tour.

That was DiMarco, on Sunday, clawing his way into contention in the final round of the British Open.

You don't think these guys want to win in Milwaukee?

Ask Kelly to choose between a U.S. Bank title and a green jacket and he'd actually have to think about it for a minute. Remember the PGA Tour's TV spot that featured Kelly applauding the gallery applauding him? Happened here.

Kelly moved from Florida back to Madison several years ago. A lot of people would say he did it grass-backwards but he'd disagree. He doesn't love winter but he loves Wisconsin. Last year, Kelly was on the sideline at more Green Bay Packers games than Ahman Green. Some players thought he was a coach.

No Wisconsin golfer has ever won the U.S. Bank Championship but Kelly has had two close calls, including a playoff loss to Loren Roberts in 1996. If he wins Sunday, the party would make the Fifth Quarter look like the grand opening of a funeral parlor.

Then there's the beloved Stricker, whom state golf fans have embraced as a favorite son. Maybe it's because he was born in Edgerton, lives in Madison and is among the most decent and respectful athletes in professional sports. He's also a Chicago Bears fan, which proves nobody's perfect.

Grateful for everything Wisconsin has done for him, Stricker cried when he won the most recent of his five State Open titles in 2000. Imagine the scene if he won the U.S. Bank Championship. The superintendent wouldn't have to water the 18th green for a month.

The U.S. Bank Championship doesn't have Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson in the field, but ask the Packers hat-wearing, Miller Beer-drinking, Greenfield Park-playing members of the gallery if they care.

These fans would rather watch Kelly pick his nose than one of the Tour's superstars walk around with his nose in the air. You think a Milwaukee gallery would cheer for Mickelson over Skip or Strick? Not a chance. They'd wipe that grin off Lefty's face faster than he could say Oconomowoc, if he could say Oconomowoc.

And Woods? Well, let's just say he'd get badgered.

*Doubt there's anything available on a Andy North heads up, but I felt that was the most interesting part of the story...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=476811&format=print

Notes: Verplank's play a sore spot

By GARY D'AMATO
gdamato@journalsentinel.com

Posted: July 25, 2006

Scott Verplank opened the 2006 PGA Tour season by tying for second in consecutive starts (Bob Hope Chrysler Classic and FBR Open) and appeared to be headed for a monster year.

Then he started struggling with biceps tendinitis and bursitis in his right shoulder and hasn't had a top-10 finish in more than four months.

"I've had it treated for several months now and had a couple cortisone shots," he said Tuesday. "I'd be lying if I told you it was 100% but it's much closer now than it was two or three months ago."

The 42-year-old Verplank arrived in Milwaukee feeling better about his game and eager to tee it up at the U.S. Bank Championship. He finished second to Ben Crane last year and tied for 11th in 2004.

"I'm going in the right direction and I'm looking forward to playing here," he said. "Hopefully, I'll come out this week and my shoulder won't bother me at all."

It's not as if Verplank has had a bad year. He's No. 30 on the money list with $1,386,319 and ranks third in driving accuracy, sixth in putting average and 21st in birdie average.

He finished in a tie for 31st at the British Open last week despite a final-round 75. But he was more upset with the 67 he shot in the third round.

"I shot 5-under but I was just giving (shots) away left and right," he said. "I should have shot 8- or 9- or 10-under. I guess it was encouraging that 67 was about the highest I could have shot that day."

Big news today:
Tournament officials are expected to announce a multi-year contract extension with title sponsor U.S. Bank at a news conference at 2 p.m. today.

The extension, which could be as long as six years, is tied to the PGA Tour's television contract.

The tournament is in the last year of its original three-year contract with U.S. Bank.

Just the Fax:
Brad Faxon
didn't beat around the bush. He figured he has done enough of that on the golf course.

"I've played awful this year," he said.

Faxon has finished in the top 90 on the money list every year since 1985 but ranks 130th this year with $415,641.

"I've messed around with my golf swing too much," he said. "I've had a bad attitude on the golf course. It's been a lot of things. I'm encouraged because I don't see anything glaringly wrong. But this game is all about scoring and I haven't scored."

Outside looking in:
Faxon flew to the British Open as an alternate and didn't get in the tournament, but he didn't look at it as a wasted trip.

"If you're going to think about it in terms of dollars and cents, it never makes sense to go there," he said. "It's the oldest tournament in the world, it's a major, and I love playing in it."

He said he was fifth on the list of alternates and only three players withdrew at Royal Liverpool.

"I figured my chances were 20%," he said. "I knew I'd be disappointed if I didn't get in, but I knew I'd be unbelievably disappointed if I stayed home and did get in."

Shootout results: The team of Andy North, Mark Wilson and Milwaukee Wave coach Keith Tozer won $13,000 for the MACC Fund in the annual Charity Shootout.

J.P. Hayes, Skip Kendall and Tony Hrkac of the Milwaukee Admirals won $4,000 for Children's Hospital of Wisconsin; Jerry Kelly, David Roesch and University of Wisconsin hockey coach Mike Eaves won $4,000 for the UW Foundation; and Steve Stricker, Mario Tiziani and Green Bay Packers punter B.J. Sander won $4,000 for Very Special Arts.

Earlier in the day, Wilson presented a $12,000 check to the MACC Fund, a sum that was matched by one of his sponsors, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. Wilson's donation was the largest single contribution by an athlete to the MACC Fund.

Chip shots: For the third consecutive year, Wausau Insurance is sponsoring a leader board on northbound I-43 near Capitol Drive. Two billboard workers will manually change the leaders' names every 30 minutes, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday through Sunday. . . .

J.B. Holmes, Michael Allen, Craig Barlow, Vaughn Taylor, Bob Tway and Vance Veazey withdrew from the tournament. They were replaced by alternates Blaine McCallister, Scott Gump, Len Mattiace, Donnie Hammond, Spike McRoy and Garrett Willis.

From the July 26, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Perry returns to comfort zone

He is seeking to turn around subpar season

By GARY D'AMATO

Posted: July 24, 2006

Kenny Perry was one of the first players on the practice range at the Brown Deer Park Golf Course on Monday morning, happy to be in Milwaukee and hoping to turn around what has been a frustrating season.

Perry has had an incredible run at the U.S. Bank Championship, finishing among the top 10 in each of the last six years, including a victory in 2003.
"I love coming here," he said. "It's one of my favorite tournaments. I love the course. I love the people. I just feel very comfortable here."

For Perry, comfort has been in short supply this year.

He tore the medial collateral ligament in his right knee when he stepped in a hole on the Plantation Course at Kapalua during the season-opening Mercedes Championships and underwent surgery March 14, missing a chance to defend his title at the Bay Hill Invitational.

He didn't return to the PGA Tour until mid-May, when he attempted to defend his title at the Bank of America Colonial.

"I came back too soon," he said. "I couldn't squat so I had to read putts standing up. Then I got in some bad swing habits, trying to compensate for my knee. I haven't done anything very well at all this year and I think it all relates to the knee."

After winning five tournaments and nearly $10 million over the last three years, Perry ranks 103rd on the 2006 money list with $535,652. He has four top-25 finishes and no top-10s and ranks 184th in putting average.

"My game has been pretty weak," he said. "I've struggled all year trying to come back. It's been a long process for me. I'm 46; you don't heal like you did when you were 20."

Perry, of Franklin, Ky., thinks he's on the verge of playing well again.
"I'm starting to get better and I'm starting to get stronger," he said. "I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel."

Tough decision:
Perry likes Milwaukee so much he is debating whether to skip the British Open starting in 2007, when the U.S. Bank Championship moves to the same week on the PGA Tour schedule.

"We'll see," he said. "It'll be a tough decision either way. The majors are what it's all about but you don't win them at my age. It would not be a surprise to see me in Milwaukee next year."

Chip shots:

Of the 40 current, full-field PGA Tour events that have been contested at least 10 times, the U.S. Bank Championship is one of only three in which a champion has not successfully defended his title. The others are The Players Championship and The International. . . .

Four players have played in the U.S. Bank Championship all 12 years it has been contested at Brown Deer Park: Tommy Armour III, Jim Gallagher Jr., Mike Springer and Stricker. Armour, Gallagher and Stricker are in the field this week and Springer is an alternate.

From the July 25, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Crane just loves it at Brown Deer

Defending champ likes traditional layout

By GARY D'AMATO

Posted: July 20, 2006

Certain names, you just expect to see on the leader board at the U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee:

Jerry Kelly, Jeff Sluman, Kenny Perry, Tim Herron, Carlos Franco, Loren Roberts (before he went to the Champions Tour).

No matter what kind of years they've had, no matter how they've played in the weeks leading up to the U.S. Bank Championship, they always seem to find their games at the Brown Deer Park Golf Course.

Add Ben Crane to the list.

Crane, the defending champion, has played in Milwaukee only twice but already has an affinity for the community and the tournament.

"It's a great event with kind of a hometown feel," he said. "The first time I played here I was paired with (Fox Point native) Skip Kendall and he was the hero. It was so much fun, seeing all the support he got."

Crane especially likes Brown Deer Park, short by PGA Tour standards at 6,759 yards but an old-fashioned, straightforward layout that gives up plenty of birdies to players who know how to shape shots and position their ball in the fairways and on the greens.

"It's such a good track," Crane said. "It's got a lot of character. Old trees. Great shape to the holes. You've got to hit shots, got to be able to turn (the ball) over. I don't think they're building good golf courses like this one anymore.

"It's always in great shape for the tournament. The greens are just awesome. It's like putting on a pool table. If you get the ball on line with the right speed, you're going to make putts, period."

Crane made plenty of putts last year, when he shot rounds of 62-65-64-69 and finished at 20-under-par 260, tying the tournament's 72-hole scoring record and beating runner-up Scott Verplank by four shots.

The 30-year-old Crane has played eight rounds at Brown Deer, has broken par in every one of them and has a scoring average of 67.0. He finished tied for 43rd in 2004, his first appearance.

"You do feel like you've got to make a lot of birdies to keep up," he said. "But at the same time you have to be patient. You can make birdies in bunches but you're going to make some bogeys out here. You've just got to stay patient and let it happen."

Going into the British Open, Crane ranked No. 56 on the PGA Tour money list with $832,858. He got off to a slow start this year after injuring his back during the West Coast swing. He withdrew after the first round of the Buick Invitational and played in only one tournament the next two months.
"As long as I don't overdo it and just kind of monitor my swing it seems to be manageable," he said of his back problem. "If I get into a bad swing habit or start practicing too much . . . what happens is I wake up two days later and my back is kind of frozen."

Crane's game has warmed up with the weather. He has made the cut in his last seven starts and tied for fourth at the Bank of America Colonial.
One of the best putters on Tour, he finished third in putting average last year and is ranked 20th this year (1.750).

He also said he has improved his pace of play, a problem that came to a head during the 2005 U.S. Bank Championship, when his fidgety pre-shot routine stretched well past 45 seconds and playing partners grumbled.

"The amount of time I'm spending over the ball is under my allotted time on every shot now," he said. "It's been going in the right direction. Is it perfect yet? Maybe I'm not all the way there but I do feel like it's gotten a lot better."

No golfer has successfully defended his title in Milwaukee in the tournament's 38-year history. Should Crane become the first to repeat, he would face a tough decision in 2007: Return to Milwaukee to try to win the U.S. Bank a third consecutive year or play in the British Open (if he qualifies).

For now, Crane takes satisfaction in having won the tournament once.
"It's always such a rush when you're at different tournaments and they introduce you as 'Winner of the 2005 U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee,' " he said. "It's a cool feeling. And to come back here and be introduced as the defending champion, that will be neat. I'm excited about that."

already read those articles.. part of my capping gameplan bro! But thanks

I was looking at Jerry Kelly vs Calcavechia ...it's already been mentioned this home field for him...Kelly has 3 straight top fifteens on this course (thx abcs)...both played well at the British, minus Calc's final round 82...but being that he's a big tub of shit, lol, Kelly seems logical..Kelly is 22nd in Ryder Cup standings as well...It's a bit juicy is the only deal here...

abcs--thelegend said:
already read those articles.. part of my capping gameplan bro! But thanks

Just doing what I can to help with the golf stuff, never did anything with it before gambling wise.

VALUE BET HERE

Jerry Kelly (+126) over Kenny Perry

risking 1 cap and 1 yalmuke

Anytime you can get Jerry at + value in his hometown state its worth a shot, especially since Perry missed the cut last week.

Recap of plays

Ryan Moore (-126) over Charles Howell 3

Risking 1 cap and 1 turbin

Jeff Sluman (-146) over Tom Pernice Jr 72 holes

Risking 2 caps

Steve Flesch -110 over Bob Estes 72 hole Matchup

Risking 1 cap and 2 Turbins

Jerry Kelly (+126) over Kenny Perry

Risking 1 cap and 1 yalmuke

I circled bo van pelt as a player to fade, just didnt pull the trigger. Its amazing all the short hitters dominate this course.

Descent week,
I expect big things from me out of golf..
(3 - 1 on the week and YTD @ CTG ) ( 20 - 6 YTD)
:drinking:

Back