Unranked Team to Finished Ranked

ProV1Colt

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
On the brink of another season. Let's visit teams that are Unranked in the preseason that will finish the season ranked.
Are there any surprise teams out there?

Last edited:
If San Diego St isn't ranked preseason then I'll go with the Aztecs. I haven't looked at the polls though

i think GA will do well this year. On my radar as undervalued.

I am on the verge of adding some Georgia futures. Love the coaching staff. The OC is one of the best in the game (somehow make Pitt a competent offense and did well with Compton at Tenn)

Another team that the schedule helps out a lot. Im high on UNC, but the SEC dominates these types of games. Tested at Ole Miss. Should be favored at home vs. Florida/Tenn. Top 25 seems like a certainty to me.

I am on the verge of adding some Georgia futures. Love the coaching staff. The OC is one of the best in the game (somehow make Pitt a competent offense and did well with Compton at Tenn)

Another team that the schedule helps out a lot. Im high on UNC, but the SEC dominates these types of games. Tested at Ole Miss. Should be favored at home vs. Florida/Tenn. Top 25 seems like a certainty to me.

Currently a PK vs Tenn and the Florida game is always a neutral site game in Jacksonville

Currently a PK vs Tenn and the Florida game is always a neutral site game in Jacksonville

Yeah, I know neutral game vs. Florida. I think Georgia should be favored on neutral. Tennessee is getting a ton of love, but I think they might be a tad overrated. I think by game time Georgia will be favored at home here. Either way 3 losses would surprise me.

That would be a shocker. They lost some big time players. Have no running game. Secondary is a big concern. I have them pegged at 6 wins.

Who are the big time players you are worried about? Byard??? He was good, I suppose but he played safety.

They have one of the largest RB upgrades of any team year over year so I would expect the running game to improve, and probably have the fifth best offensive line in the league with a bunch of 300 pounders. I also have their secondary as one of the best in that conference. They lose a good player at WR but have their best receiver back and a ton of other WR talent. Team could potentially finish the year in the top 10 in passing yards if their running game does have issues (I think it will be better with Mathers). Biggest concern for me would be the linebacking turnover but with solid defensive backs and a solid dline, you can cover some holes there. Guess we just see the team differently. I give them about a 50/50 shot at beating Vanderbilt week 2. They get a lesser version of BG week 3, a lesser version of latech after that and then at a horrible North Texas. Bye week prior to WKU at home so I give them a good chance to pull an upset there as well. Go to Missouri and probably lose assuming Missouri offense has improved by that point and celebrating the wky win. Tough game at FIU after wku and missouri, especially if an undefeated bid is ended by missouri. UTSA at home is a gimme. At Marshall is pretty tough but they were the better team in that game last year and managed to win a few overtimes.... so they can certainly compete there. At charlotte should be easy. And then a tough home game to FAU. They are primed for a big year.

6 wins only?

I have them as a favorite in 8 games and a dd favorite in 5. 2 of the games I don't have them as a favorite are basically coin flips. 6 is the absolute low for this team unless they get hit with as many injuries as hit them last year.

Batties was a great WR for them. Jordan Parker was their best running back (but you are right that the transfer could be big upgrade) They lost left side of OL, which was their best two offensive lineman. Lost all three impact linebackers. Combined for 25 tackles for loss and 8 sacks. Lost starting safeties and yeah I think Byard was best player on the team.

You make great points as always, but I see 4 fairly easy wins; A&M, North Texas, UTSA, Charlotte. Four games I'm pretty certain they lose, @Vandy, @BG, @Mizzou, and @Marshall. That leaves 4 remaining games; home to LT, WK, and Florida Atlantic and away to Florida International.

WKY- I think they have able bodies at QB to replace Doughty and have to replace WRs but have good running backs returning and the entire OL. Defense should be about the same. I think WKY is 3 point favorite on the road.

LT got hit hard. Have to see MTSU favored here.

I think Florida Atlantic is going to be improved, but have MTSU favored here.

Florida International should be improved on offense, but that defense concerns me. I have this one as a toss up at home.

So they go 2-2 in those games to get to 6-6 or 3-1 to get to 7-5. Maybe top end of 8-4? You do make some good points, maybe I'm a little lower on them than I should be.

Well I have Vanderbilt week 1. I am hoping they win by ten so I get a better number to play mtsu at. I will almost assuredly be on them week 2 against Vandy.

@BG is a tough one only because I am not sure what BG is going to be just yet without Babers/Johnson (Knapke not a huge downgrade in my opinion) and it is a mid-September game which I think gives MTSU some advantages. Revenge game against Memphis on deck for BG that they might be more interested in. I think there is a good chance MTSU is just a better team than BG this year but it could be that BG is much better than MTSU. BG just a hard team to know for sure on right now.

I would argue every game on their schedule is quite winnable. I wouldn't make them a DD dog in any game.

I do expect Marshall to be good because they have among the best talent in the conference, but they do probably have a huge delta in how good or bad they can be. There is some significant turnover on that team and I'm not sure I trust the QB too much despite a good year last year. Good points on BG, I didn't really few Knapke as a bad QB. Good points as always, I'm not sure how ODU missed MTSU on the schedule again this year, but maybe thats a good thing :)

Back