Unranked Dark Horse

ProV1Colt

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any Unranked (outside the Top 25) teams that will finished ranked?
After we get a few, I would be curious to see which team finishes the highest ranked.

I have a few on my radar now but wanted to wait to see others opinions

Thanks for any input.

Just glancing at the others receiving votes, I like aTm, OK St, Penn St and Louisville to end up ranked

Curious to see what Penn state looks like on offense. 9 of 10 passes last season that hackenburg threw were within 5 yds of LOS. Awful

Curious to see what Penn state looks like on offense. 9 of 10 passes last season that hackenburg threw were within 5 yds of LOS. Awful

I think I would say Penn State. The OL is a shit ton better than it was last year and Hackenburg is an elite talent.

Two P12 north teams that I really think exceed expectations are Washington State and Cal.......will be on Wazzu @ Rutgers week 2

Although fringe top 25 right now, I think Boise will prove to be legit top 10-15.....Dline just going to be nasty if they stay healthy

No shock here but Utes. Returning a nasty defense that will have a healthy Gionni Paul and Tevin Carter back in the mix. ST returns a Ray Guy award winner that just continues to flip the field on every team they play. Dave Christensen was a cancer to the offense last year and would not allow Wilson to call audibles, he's A&M's problem now and I think the Utes offense will be much improved this year.

If they stay healthy and get a few bounces I think they could win 10 this year(including bowl). They have a tough Pac 12 south schedule again however so they could just as easily win 7 games.

I like Oklahoma State and Penn State.

Oklahoma State finished strong last year once the took the redshirt off the freshman QB and have a lot of talent this year. Penn State had a good defense last year and I look for them to make a big jump in Franklin's second year.

Who is going to start at QB for Utah, Two Utes?

Two P12 north teams that I really think exceed expectations are Washington State and Cal.......will be on Wazzu @ Rutgers week 2

Although fringe top 25 right now, I think Boise will prove to be legit top 10-15.....Dline just going to be nasty if they stay healthy

Problem is Wazzu has a clown for a head coach.

I like Oklahoma State and Penn State.

Oklahoma State finished strong last year once the took the redshirt off the freshman QB and have a lot of talent this year. Penn State had a good defense last year and I look for them to make a big jump in Franklin's second year.

Who is going to start at QB for Utah, Two Utes?

99% Travis Wilson. Hearing he's looking good and so is Kendall Thompson. I think you will see packages for both this year and Chase Hansen is a returned missionary freshman who will see some time in certain situations. Hanson is going to be the starter next year unless Brandon Cox gets healthy and comes back strong.

No shock here but Utes. Returning a nasty defense that will have a healthy Gionni Paul and Tevin Carter back in the mix. ST returns a Ray Guy award winner that just continues to flip the field on every team they play. Dave Christensen was a cancer to the offense last year and would not allow Wilson to call audibles, he's A&M's problem now and I think the Utes offense will be much improved this year.

If they stay healthy and get a few bounces I think they could win 10 this year(including bowl). They have a tough Pac 12 south schedule again however so they could just as easily win 7 games.

good info...stick around:cheers3:

Michigan and A&M should be in the top 25. Borderline: VaTech, Oklahoma St, Ville

Who won't be in top 25 at end of year: Stanford

Interesting, I haven't talked to anyone who thinks Stanford is worth a shit

I like the coach, I like the program (as a bettor, not as a fan), remember it's f'n Stanford, like Northwestern and Vandy, it's academics first

Think they can contend in the P12 and possibly make the title game, I'd prefer Oregon but no one else in the North and won't be shocked to see them playing north of New Years Day

I like the coach, I like the program (as a bettor, not as a fan), remember it's f'n Stanford, like Northwestern and Vandy, it's academics first

Think they can contend in the P12 and possibly make the title game, I'd prefer Oregon but no one else in the North and won't be shocked to see them playing north of New Years Day

For me, its their lack of returing starters and total starts. They rank last in the Pac-12 in both catogories. They have their QB and most of the OL back, but that's it. I mean, how can you compete at the highest level having to replace 9 starters on D?

I have them losing 5-6 games this year which would put them at 7-5 or 6-6, well out of the top 25. I think the definitely lose to: USC, Oregon, UCLA and ND.

AZ, Washington, and Cal are all pretty close since they get them all at home. If they win all three of these games, I'd consider it a good season. 8-4 is their goal, imo.

I think it's that I believe in Shaw and his game planning against basically an offensive bunch of coaches

Personnel really isn't all that relevant to me given the conference and his philosophy...I just don't think any of these teams enjoy playing Stanford and for good reason, they play a different brand of ball and the turnover on defense isn't as relevant as it would be in other conferences, where defense is more decisive. I really think Stanford will be there at the end this year and don't necessarily think they lose to UCLA or Notre Dame, and they can beat Oregon...USC I believe is the class of the P12 so there's that.

Virginia Tech. Decimated by injuries last year. The Hokies defense is great and Bud Foster is an amazing defensive coach. If the offense is only decent they will be better than people think.

I think it's that I believe in Shaw and his game planning against basically an offensive bunch of coaches

Personnel really isn't all that relevant to me given the conference and his philosophy...I just don't think any of these teams enjoy playing Stanford and for good reason, they play a different brand of ball and the turnover on defense isn't as relevant as it would be in other conferences, where defense is more decisive. I really think Stanford will be there at the end this year and don't necessarily think they lose to UCLA or Notre Dame, and they can beat Oregon...USC I believe is the class of the P12 so there's that.

Anything can happen. My preseason numbers are usually spot on until week 1 starts. Replacements can be better than expected and they do have a good coach.

Watch out for UCLA, though. They are loaded and that fresh QB is a stud. Its too bad they dont have Shaw as a coach and are stuck with that goof.

Last edited:

I don't rate Shaw at all, especially his in-game decisions. The whole Pac-12 north is fade material this season

I'm not so high on Okie State. They lost 5 straight before beating OU and Washington and they lost their best player Ty Hill who won them that OU game.

Just looking at this decade, there's been a few teams make UNRANKED runs to the tops of the polls:

2014 - TCU, unranked until early October, finishes 3
2013 - Auburn and Michigan State, both unranked until mid-October, finish 2 and 3
2012 - Texas A&M, unranked until early October, finishes 5
2011 - Michigan, unranked until mid-September, finishes 12
2010 - Nevada, unranked until late September, finishes 11
2009 - Pitt & Wisconsin, unranked until late October and early November, finish 15 and 16
2008 - TCU, unranked until mid-October, finishes 7
2007 - Missouri and Kansas, unranked until Sept and Oct, finish 4 and 7 (BYU went unranked until Thanksgiving and finished 14)
2006 - Boise State and Wisconsin, unranked until Sept and Oct, finish 5 and 7
2005 - Penn State, West Virginia and Alabama, unranked until Oct, Oct and Sept; all finish in top-10 (3, 5 and 8)
2004 - Virginia Tech, unranked until mid-October, finishes 10

NOTE: Georgia Tech, 1990, last team to win national title (UPI poll, w/ Colorado the AP), was unranked until the poll on October 2. Debuted at 23, went to 18, then 11, fell to 16, climbed to 7, then 4, then 3 then 2 and won its bowl game to share the title.

Good stuff Judge! One of the reasons I started the thread.
There is always someone that comes from outta nowhere.

Do do you have someone in mind this year?

i don't like David Shaw in-game either, as has been said, but I would think Harbaugh's program that he has done a fair job continuing is one of the few in the land that can handle graduation and other attrition. I'm looking forward to them being as bad as it sounds because they've had Oregon's number and can beat the other no defense teams in the Pac-12

Good stuff Judge! One of the reasons I started the thread.
There is always someone that comes from outta nowhere.

Do do you have someone in mind this year?

Maybe Utah or Louisville or Penn State. Tough to say, since everyone has a glaring weakness. UTAH = brand new secondary and has to learn to throw ... LOUISVILLE = proven QB and tough Sept/Oct schedule ... PENN STATE = don't give up 44 sacks and don't lose to Northwestern

For me, its their lack of returing starters and total starts. They rank last in the Pac-12 in both catogories. They have their QB and most of the OL back, but that's it. I mean, how can you compete at the highest level having to replace 9 starters on D?

I have them losing 5-6 games this year which would put them at 7-5 or 6-6, well out of the top 25. I think the definitely lose to: USC, Oregon, UCLA and ND.

AZ, Washington, and Cal are all pretty close since they get them all at home. If they win all three of these games, I'd consider it a good season. 8-4 is their goal, imo.

Stanford will be extrememly lucky to go 7-5 now. 6-6 is more likely. They are as bad as I expected.

QUICK UPDATE: Through the 11-17-15 College Football Playoff ratings, there are 3 teams in the top-10 that were unranked.

Oklahoma State: unranked until the 2nd poll at #25, now #4 (chosen in this thread by gps_3, TahoeLegend, clownVKcar and kjohnson before the season started)
Iowa: unranked until week 5 (10-4 poll), debuting at #22, now #6 (did not see them as a potential sleeper team in this thread)
Florida: unranked until week 4(9-27 poll), debuting at #25, now #8 (mentioned by someone in this thread with a Gator logo as avatar)

Also of note are:
#12 North Carolina, unranked until week 9 (mentioned by silky, of course)
#13 Houston, week 6 debut (no mentions)
#14 Michigan, week #4 debut (mentioned by a few posters)
#19 Navy, week #10 debut (no mentions)

Teams That Went The Opposite Way (preseason rank):
#6 Auburn
#8 Georgia
#13 UCLA
#15 Arizona State
#16 Georgia Tech
#18 Arkansas

Can update moving forward if interested.

QUICK UPDATE: Through the 11-17-15 College Football Playoff ratings, there are 3 teams in the top-10 that were unranked.

Oklahoma State: unranked until the 2nd poll at #25, now #4 (chosen in this thread by gps_3, TahoeLegend, clownVKcar and kjohnson before the season started)
Iowa: unranked until week 5 (10-4 poll), debuting at #22, now #6 (did not see them as a potential sleeper team in this thread)
Florida: unranked until week 4(9-27 poll), debuting at #25, now #8 (mentioned by someone in this thread with a Gator logo as avatar)

Also of note are:
#12 North Carolina, unranked until week 9 (mentioned by silky, of course)
#13 Houston, week 6 debut (no mentions)
#14 Michigan, week #4 debut (mentioned by a few posters)
#19 Navy, week #10 debut (no mentions)

Teams That Went The Opposite Way (preseason rank):
#6 Auburn
#8 Georgia
#13 UCLA
#15 Arizona State
#16 Georgia Tech
#18 Arkansas

Can update moving forward if interested.

Auburn has been ranked #5 and #6 the last two preseasons. 10 losses combined the last 2 years. At least.

Yup ... Tigers were unranked in 2013 and climbed all the way to #2. They began #6 in 2014 and ended up at #22. Preseason #6 again in 2015 and fell out of the polls for the week 3 ratings.

As for Silky, I was mentioning his ACC loyalty, but he's a Noles homer for sure.

Back