UGA vs Bama

crawdads

Fairway to Heaven
Just curious everyone's thoughts on this game. One of the bigger games in recent memory for my alma mater. This is one game that Richt typically finds a way to lose.

the reason, outside of the head to head shit(which Bama, on paper, would have won) is like you said.....between the hedges crowd should be wild

If for no other reason, I think Bama gets got here. Just a feeling

So many question marks for bama on offense. Mainly can Coker make good decisions under extreme pressure, can the YOUNG WRs catch the fucking ball (6 drops last week), can bama special teams be average (terrible so far... Punting, kicking and returning). Bama defense will do fine but not sure how they are gonna score more than 21-28 without some huge plays.

The air of Alabama invincibility is gone. That's the single biggest factor to me - not between the hedges, but between the ears of UGA players. In spite of Richt. Mismatch in QBs here. Don't trust Coker at home, certainly not in this environment. Played Georgia already.

TideHigh... Does Bo Scarbrough have an impact this weekend at all?

All relative, compared to Coker. Lambert's huge #s have been against garbage, but at home I still like him vs. what Bama offers.

Nice setup for Saban, probably been scanning lines since there were released Sunday afternoon, begging to be a dog in this game. Still think this is Georgia's for the taking.

Bo: hard to tell how much. He's got a brace on but supposedly looks good. Need him I think. Henry takes a few steps to get going and drake isn't an inside runner. Hoping bo can take over but won't happen this week. He will play though. Would be nice to see him bust one.

I know nothing of UGA QB but bama front will give him fits I bet.

Yeah, Lambert's not seen anything like he will this weekend. For Georgia backers, thankfully he gets this game in Athens.

Hard to believe Scarborough will make a big impact this weekend, seems like it will take some time to get entrenched but who the hell knows. He looks like a beast.

Hey guys, good to see ya :tiphat:

The issue for Bama, I think, is Kiffin. Funny because I think he is an awesome OC, is the only reason Bama sniffed the playoff last season, but is hurting the team this year. The personnel for Bama on offense this year just doesn't jibe with what he has and wants to do. One thing Sims did really well last season was throw the deep ball and Bama hit more home runs than I can ever remember in Saban's tenure. Between the gross inability of the OL to all make a good pass block on the same play, to the lack of continuity between Coker and WR, it just really hinders what Kiffin likes to do and did so well last year. To me that's such a huge reason why all of this "lack of offensive identity" talk is being thrown around so much in relation to the Bama camp. Kinda frustrating to see Henry getting so many touches out the gun and pistol when he's much better suited for a single back/heavier set. I think Pruitt, being a Saban/Smart disciple, and actually being at FSU Coker's last year, is a huge advantage. He is gonna just load the box and I can say with absolutey certainty make Coker win the game throwing the football. Going back to the deep ball issue, I think UGA defense is too good to rely on Bama to consistently grind out long drives. Same goes for UGA offense versus the Bama defense though. Granted, UGA schedule has been much easier thus far, Lambert is a bit more of a known commodity in that he can hit the open receiver and be smart with the football. Funny though being an Atlanta native that after his abysmal showing against the only defense theyve played, Vandy, there were some serious rumbling about whether or not he would keep the job. Along comes USCe and he goes discount double check and now is super confident which I think is huge for him going against this defense, something Coker likely won't be. I just saw the total is 55 at most places, I think 20 points will be enough foe either team to win and frankly I'm astounded the total is that high and people are betting the OVER. I still think the Bama defense is the best Saban has had since 09' and the Ole Miss game was really an abberation. Ole Miss had scoring drives of 2, 26, 18, 49, 51 yards not counting the helmet bounce pass and illegal pop pass. They really didn't move the ball at all, that accounted for 139 of Kelly's 341 through the air which would have put him at a stat line of 16/32 1/1 202 yards if you take those away. I think the UGA offense is better probably as a whole, but a much more favorable matchup for the Bama defense. I think this is gonna be a real grinder. 55 seems WAY too high and I think if Bama were to touch 3 that's the side to roll with.

I don't think Scarborough will have a huge impact but if memory serves Yeldon and a few of the other frosh RB have gotten a few touches in their first games. I know one thing, he is the only guy I know with forearms that rival twinks :cheers3:

The issue for Bama, I think, is Kiffin. Funny because I think he is an awesome OC, is the only reason Bama sniffed the playoff last season, but is hurting the team this year. The personnel for Bama on offense this year just doesn't jibe with what he has and wants to do. One thing Sims did really well last season was throw the deep ball and Bama hit more home runs than I can ever remember in Saban's tenure. Between the gross inability of the OL to all make a good pass block on the same play, to the lack of continuity between Coker and WR, it just really hinders what Kiffin likes to do and did so well last year. To me that's such a huge reason why all of this "lack of offensive identity" talk is being thrown around so much in relation to the Bama camp. Kinda frustrating to see Henry getting so many touches out the gun and pistol when he's much better suited for a single back/heavier set. I think Pruitt, being a Saban/Smart disciple, and actually being at FSU Coker's last year, is a huge advantage. He is gonna just load the box and I can say with absolutey certainty make Coker win the game throwing the football. Going back to the deep ball issue, I think UGA defense is too good to rely on Bama to consistently grind out long drives. Same goes for UGA offense versus the Bama defense though. Granted, UGA schedule has been much easier thus far, Lambert is a bit more of a known commodity in that he can hit the open receiver and be smart with the football. Funny though being an Atlanta native that after his abysmal showing against the only defense theyve played, Vandy, there were some serious rumbling about whether or not he would keep the job. Along comes USCe and he goes discount double check and now is super confident which I think is huge for him going against this defense, something Coker likely won't be. I just saw the total is 55 at most places, I think 20 points will be enough foe either team to win and frankly I'm astounded the total is that high and people are betting the OVER. I still think the Bama defense is the best Saban has had since 09' and the Ole Miss game was really an abberation. Ole Miss had scoring drives of 2, 26, 18, 49, 51 yards not counting the helmet bounce pass and illegal pop pass. They really didn't move the ball at all, that accounted for 139 of Kelly's 341 through the air which would have put him at a stat line of 16/32 1/1 202 yards if you take those away. I think the UGA offense is better probably as a whole, but a much more favorable matchup for the Bama defense. I think this is gonna be a real grinder. 55 seems WAY too high and I think if Bama were to touch 3 that's the side to roll with.

I don't think Scarborough will have a huge impact but if memory serves Yeldon and a few of the other frosh RB have gotten a few touches in their first games. I know one thing, he is the only guy I know with forearms that rival twinks :cheers3:

good to see you

stick around this year.......may see ya in Tuscaloser

Scarborough hasn't played in a real game since November 2013. I'm not expecting much Saturday, but when he's back to full speed, I think he has a chance to be special

Some good info here, where I believe it is a coin flip to pick a side. Will weather be a factor in aAthens? :cheers3:

Tide are 5 TO’s and a deflected pass off being at least 3 point favourites. If Bama are at worse -1 on the TO margin they will win.

Excellent.

Miss your posts more than the blowjobs I use to get from my wife before she became my wife

twink, I won't make it back for that one. Wife is due with our baby girl that week. Hoping she doesn't come late or I may be forced to miss it entirely, the birth that is. can't wait for that game though - has all the makings for another classic

Tide - good to see ya buddy

gps - I agree with you. I like the look of Harris too and he seems to be getting high praises from high places but Bo looks to me like he has the "it" factor. Kinda reminds me of TR a bit but looks like he has a little more scoot.

cc - great to see ya my ole friend. Hope you are celebrated today :cheers3:

Bull - I think it's going to be wet it's rained it seems off and on everyday in georgia for the past couple weeks and saturday shows 70% chance of rain

Good to see ya Mr. Weeno :cheers3:

Alan - I think 3 was probably bigger than it was gonna be if they won the OM game but a pick or slight fav, 3 point swing the other way, seems about right

Marlo - I just spit out my coffee reading that lol. Good to see ya my dude :cigarguy:

Just read this about Bo:

Wednesday night, Saban was asked if Scarbrough will have a multi-faceted role on the offense.
“I think the difficulty is, once you get to the season, we can’t invest a lot of reps in Bo Scarbrough when he can’t play in a game,” Saban said. “We have to get the guys ready to play in the game. You’re talking about a guy that really knows how to play running back, but now you’re going to try and teach him how to do all these other things during the course of the week. It’s really, really difficult.
“But we would like to try to get a role for the guy on our team, because I do think he could contribute to our team and I think be a very good football player. We’re going to try to work that out. But it’s much more difficult to do that now than when you create roles for guys in the offseason and spring practice and fall camp.
“We really didn't have the luxury of doing that because the guy wasn’t allowed to play in the first four games.”

Bo has been practicing at H-back and full back the last few weeks, as well as slot WR

Wow I didn't know that. Love that - kinda like a Fowler/Drake 2014 role you think?

My guess is that like Saban said, can't afford to give him significant reps at RB when he can't even play. Depth chart at H/FB a little less crowded, and he's big and fast. I thought in high school he could be a great WR, or WR/TE hybrid so I think there's plenty of opportunity for him to find a role quickly. The challenge of course is coming off the injury and lack of live contact. I'm excited for his potential, just not getting my hopes up for this game. Would love to be pleasantly surprised though

I think when you look at this game, it comes down to a few things.

First, the easiest game to compare is Bama vs. Ole Miss. Ole Miss can't run the ball nearly as well as UGA can (not even close really), and outside of a few huge plays, Bama stopped Ole Miss. Ole Miss was also gifted 24 to 31 points. Bama fumbled 2 kickoffs and gave the Rebels the ball inside the 30, which I doubt we see again. Ole Miss got a TD on a play that should have been a big penalty. Bama had turnovers from their own 20 yard line. I would venture to guess that we don't see Bama have 5 turnovers in this one. With all of those things going on, Bama still almost came back and won that game.

Bama has one of the best front 7 in the country. If anyone is going to be able to slow down Chubb and Co., it would probably be Bama. Ole Miss can't run the ball a lick, so that's tough to compare. Regardless, Bama has held every team to under 3 yards per rush. Chubb may break some big carries, but I don't see him running wild in this one. On the other side of the ball, Alabama is somewhat similar to UGA. They have a stable of running backs. In the 2 SEC games that UGA has played, they allowed 2.7 yards to Vandy on the ground, and 4.5 yards to Carolina on the ground. I think we'll see Bama average between 4 and 5 yards per carry, and have slightly more success in the run game than UGA. I think there is a small advantage in the run game favoring Bama.

When we move to the passing game, this is where things get interesting. UGA's QB lost his starting job to Matt Johns, which I can't really get out of the back of my mind. He has been hit or miss this season, with a bad game against Vandy (who has a very good defense, especially secondary), and a great game against SC (who has a very bad defense, especially secondary). Bama has been hit or miss through the air so far this season. They gave up 6 yards per attempt to Wisco and 10 per attempt to Ole Miss, with Ole Miss getting 2 huge, really lucky plays. I have slightly more confidence in the UGA WRs because they are just more experienced than Bama. Bama has more upside, but they are raw, and continue to drop passes here and there and run the wrong routes, etc. I'm not quite sure which QB I trust more. Both have their downfalls. Both secondaries are really solid, and if I had to give an edge to one passing game in this one, it would be UGA but it won't be much.

Finally, Saban vs Richt isn't fair. Saban usually doesn't lose games like this, especially after having one big loss already in the season.

I can't see either team wanting to make mistakes early in this one as Bama did against Ole Miss, so I expect a lot of running the ball and field position game. I would target the 1h under in this one.

Fwiw, a guy told me few hours before bama/ole miss that Bateman was starting. Just got text from same guy that Kiffin wasn't on the team bus this AM.

Just now, Lane was shown on CBS walking into the stadium wearing a suit. So, he is there.

Back