UGA @ South Carolina

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
I am going down to this game, I leave on Wednesday so I will update it as much as I can.

Random notes:

WR Kenny McKinnley - Finding conflicting reports, I would cap this game assuming he is not playing until otherwise noted. Hurt his hamstring in Quarter 1 of the Vandy game. Not a lot of word is being mentioned about the injury which in my mind is to keep the secret from UGA. I would list him as doubtful right now. Big loss because there is no #2 WR that has stepped up. TE Cook had a big game last week but he is a TE

LT/LG Jamon Meredith - He is SC best OL, had to sit the first 2 games, will likely start at LG. He gives a boost to the OL but the OL has other problems besides players such as their mental capabilities (9 false starts in 2 games)

If the team has the same attitude the fans have, they will be waxed really bad this weekend. The fans are still not over the Vandy loss, the South Carolina section of rivals actually had to create another forum for all the people who don't want to read the "negative" posts.

This game is usally close, this is SC's 2nd biggest game for them. UGA sure as hell wants to beat the crap out of SC and prove last year was a fluke while SC will have to come out with their back against the world and an "us against the world" attitude to stand any chance of keeping it close.

Jasper Brinkley has yet to look like Jasper Brinkley of 2006. I don't know when or if it will happen this year. They say he is 100% but he sure ain't playing like the old B52

One play in this game I am looking at is the Under in the 1st half as well as the Under in the game. I like the first half under because if SC has any chance in this game, it would be to keep it low scoring and I fear in the second half the SC defense will wear down and then UGA will start piling on the points. It might just be an ass whooping from the start, I don't know.

If SC wants to have a chance in this game they must do the following:
  • Not turn the ball over
  • Not turn the ball over
  • Stop with the stupid mistakes (False starts)
  • Play excellent Special Teams, this doomed them last week
  • Contain the cutback lanes for Moreno
  • Contain UGA rushing game
  • Run the ball successfully
I can't say with any confidence that I expect SC to do those things because in 2 games they have 9 false starts, have lost the turnover battle in both games, have had a blocked FG, missed FG, and a punt hit a player.

Last yr if you took away a late 50yd run by Moreno, SC held UGA to 30rushes for 78 yards. The problem is that you can't take away a Moreno run like that, you have to know he is capable of busting one off at any time.

I do think this type of offense (pro style) is a good matchup for the SC defense and they were able to have some success against the UGA OL last yr.

The total in this game has not gone over 40 in 12 years, another reason I like the under/under 1st half.

Last edited:
September 7, 2008

2 QB System Possible
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Two QB System Among Possible Changes[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Two QB System Among Possible Changes "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Two QB System Among Possible Changes"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

After watching the South Carolina offense sputter for two games behind two different quarterbacks, head coach Steve Spurrier said Sunday that he's contemplating changes to the offensive lineup, starting with the signal callers and extending to the offensive line and running back positions.

While the faces at quarterback won't change – Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley remain atop the depth chart – they could split playing time in a true two-quarterback system when the Gamecocks square off with No. 2 Georgia in a CBS nationally televised contest Saturday at Williams-Brice Stadium at 3:30 p.m.

It's not a perfect situation in Spurrier's eyes, but one dictated by the circumstances. Neither quarterback has taken a firm grasp of the position.

"We were hoping that (one QB would seize the job) would happen in the first game of the season and for whatever reason it didn't happen," Spurrier said. "It didn't quite happen in the second game either. There's nothing wrong with having two quarterbacks. In my entire coaching career, if you have two that are pretty close in ability, you play both of them.

"Some people say you can't play two (quarterbacks) but we've won with two guys before. I don't prefer to do that, but when you have two players playing very similarly, there's nothing wrong with doing that. We'll see how the season goes. Hopefully, one of the two will really play well and we won't have to keep doing this."

Florida won the 2000 SEC Championship with Rex Grossman and Jesse Palmer sharing the quarterbacking duties, Spurrier noted.

Beecher made his first career start against N.C. State Aug. 28 and lasted nearly three quarters. He left the contest after sustaining shoulder and head injuries when he was tackled hard on a scramble play.

Beecher had completed 12-of-22 passes for 106 yards with four interceptions when he departed. Smelley took over early in the fourth quarter and completed all five of his passes for 92 yards while leading USC to three touchdowns.

Beecher is close to 100 percent healthy, Spurrier said.

"He didn't practice much last week, but at the (Vanderbilt) game he could have played if we had needed him," Spurrier said.

With Beecher unable to practice much during the week, Smelley went the distance in Thursday's 24-17 loss at Vanderbilt, completing 23 of 39 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns.

But he threw two costly interceptions inside the VU 40-yard line, turnovers that proved costly in the outcome, and missed several open receivers.

""We have two quarterbacks that haven't really distinguished themselves from each other, in my opinion," Spurrier said. "I have to make the call. We'll go through practice this week and try to see how each player performs a little bit in practice and how excited each player is to go play the game this week. We'll try to make a decision on which one gives us the best chance to beat Georgia."

In two games, Smelley has connected on 63.6 percent of his passes (28 of 44) for 325 yards and four touchdowns, compiling a QB rating of 146.59.

"There's certainly something (Smelley) could have done better," Spurrier said. "And Tommy could have done better in the first game. That's why we're still searching to see who our best quarterback is. We're looking at them pretty close right now. We're looking at them as being pretty even."

Don't look for redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia, the No. 3 quarterback, to move up the depth chart anytime soon. Spurrier said the heralded prospect from Tampa, Fla., is not ready to take the reins during a game.

"Stephen is still learning the plays," Spurrier said. "We're coaching him all the time, though. He'll get a few reps here and there. Monday night, we let the young guys scrimmage, so he'll get some scrimmage time in tomorrow night. He's getting a lot of coaching. When his chance comes, hopefully, he'll be ready."

Rotating quarterbacks isn't the sole tweak to the offense Spurrier is considering. Jamon Meredith, who had started 18 consecutive games at left tackle prior to the start of this season, will return to the active roster after sitting out the first two games under a NCAA ruling two years ago that granted him a medical hardship for the 2004 season.

Where will Meredith play? Spurrier wouldn't say exactly, but left guard seems the obvious choice. Left tackle is currently occupied by JUCO transfer Jarriel King, a Spurrier favorite.

"Jamon will be back at either guard or tackle or wherever we think he can help our team," Spurrier said. "We'll make that decision as the week goes. There's a great chance he'll start. He's been a two-year starter."

Although he acknowledged the offensive line must play better after surrendering nine sacks in the first two games, he insisted the line's struggles are not unique to the Gamecocks.

"The offensive line had a few leaks in there," Spurrier said. "But all teams have some leaks nowadays. The defenses are so fast and quick and they stunt around. The real good quarterbacks get in the shotgun and they get rid of it. But they get hit. If you don't want to get hit and you can't get it out of your hand, you can't play anymore.

"Most of the time we've had pretty decent protection. But we have to do a better job of coaching these guys to get it out, and hopefully not to the opponent, which we've done too much of. That's modern day football. The quarterbacks have to have some mobility."

Spurrier may have to make some personnel decisions at wide receiver, where Kenny McKinley, USC's biggest offensive weapon, may be forced to sit out the Georgia game with a strained hamstring.

McKinley suffered the injury late in the first quarter of Thursday's loss at Vanderbilt and didn't return. He finished with three receptions for 23 yards to extend his consecutive game streak with at least one reception to a school record 35 games.

"I don't think anything was torn," Spurrier said. "We'll have to wait and see as the week goes. There's a chance he might be back. But, as you know, hamstring injuries tend to linger for two or three weeks. I hope it's not a severe one."

Jared Cook and Dion LeCorn filled the void with eight and four receptions, respectively, but Spurrier said Sunday the time may have come to finally give young receivers like Joe Hills, Jason Barnes and C.C. Whitlock a chance to play more.

The trio has combined for one reception this season.

"We need to get them into the games to see what they can do," Spurrier said. "If they knew what to do in practice all the time, they'd be in the game. We're still coaching them as hard as we can. Hopefully, we can leave them at one position and get them into the game and help us a little bit. We have to let those players play. After a while, if they don't do very well, we'll play somebody else."

While Mike Davis (181 yards in two games) is clearly USC's top choice at running back, Taylor Rank is averaging only 2.3 yards (42 yards on 18 carries) per rush through the first two games. As a result, Spurrier plans a serious look at sophomore Brian Maddox (2 carries, 9 yards in 2008) and freshman Eric Baker this week in practice to determine if either one can handle the backup role.

Davis sustained a bruised left thigh in Thursday's game.

"(Maddox) needs to get some action too," Spurrier said. "Maddox and Baker are both good running backs, but it's tough to play four. So, we have to make some decisions if Mike is banged up or not whether to play those guys."

Spurrier vowed to leave no stone unturned in seeking answers to the problems plaguing the USC offense, including the play-calling. Wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier, Jr. remains the primary play caller, but Spurrier is "still sort of overseeing everything."

"We're evaluating how to do better at that, too," Spurrier said. "We're certainly not set on the way we've been doing things around here. We're going to try to give our quarterbacks some better plays. If we need to do some things differently to hopefully get in some better plays, we'll do that. We're still not where we hope to be real soon. It doesn't appear a whole bunch of good plays are getting in there right now."

Spurrier realizes the urgency to turn the fortunes of the offense around with high powered border rival Georgia ready to travel to Columbia for the biannual battle at Williams-Brice Stadium.

USC stunned the Bulldogs, 16-12, last season in Athens, a setback that ultimately helped prevent Georgia from reaching the BCS championship game.

"The game is very consistent each year," Spurrier said. "They've played extremely well the week before and we have not played very well the week before. But we've had pretty good games with them every year. Hopefully, we can get into a close game and make a play or two to best them. Georgia is certainly one of the best teams in the country. We're looking forward to seeing what happens."

NOTES:

-- Spurrier said Vanderbilt played "very smart" and ran the ball extremely well in the second half on Thursday night, while USC is still sputtering on offense. He noted Vanderbilt scored three touchdowns and a field goal when they got close to the end zone. USC missed some opportunities.

-- Spurrier was asked about recruiting against Georgia in the Palmetto State. Specifically, he was asked about Bulldog wide receiver A.J. Green, who grew up in Summerville. He said Green committed to UGA when he was a sophomore. "We need to do a better job of keeping our in-state players here," Spurrier said. "To do that, we need to win consistently better than what we've done."

-- Spurrier said the USC defense has played well so far despite the troubles in the second half against Vanderbilt. Overall, the defense has given up just 363 total yards in two games. "We're leading the conference in a whole bunch of defensive categories," Spurrier said. "We're playing well, but Ellis Johnson felt we could have played better in the second half. It's hard for me to be upset with our defense right now."

-- MLB Jasper Brinkley had no solo tackles and just one assist in Thursday's loss. He also dropped a potential interception. "Jasper didn't have one of his best games against Vandy," Spurrier said. "I don't know the exact reason. I know he has some class where he misses meetings every week. I'm going to try to get that corrected if we can. But I don't know if we can or not."

-- Spurrier denied that Thursday's loss to Vanderbilt showed the game "had passed him by." He contended the USC offense was fairly productive in 2006 when Syvelle Newton was tormenting opposing defenses with his feet and arm.

-- After hinting at some concern about USC's conditioning in his post-game press conference Thursday, Spurrier said on Sunday that he is currently pleased with the fitness level of the Gamecocks.

September 8, 2008

Richt expects USC's Best Shot

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Up Next: Richt Expects USC's Best Shot[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Up Next: Richt Expects USC's Best Shot "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Up Next: Richt Expects USC's Best Shot"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

After watching his offense pile up 101 points and over 1,000 total yards against overmatched opponents (Georgia Southern, Central Michigan) in the opening two weeks of the season, Georgia head coach Mark Richt is ready for a challenge.

That's why he's looking forward to Saturday's 3:30 p.m. clash with South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium. He wants to see how the Bulldog offense matches up with a quality SEC defense, one that has surrendered just 24 points and 363 total yards in two games and leads the conference in total defense in the early going.

Until he sees Georgia square off with a SEC opponent, Richt shrugs off suggestions the Bulldogs have improved offensively from last season.

"We have not played a Southeastern Conference defense yet and we're getting ready to now," Richt said during his weekly Sunday evening teleconference. "We've played a I-AA team and a MAC team that don't really recruit the athletes that we see on a weekly basis in our league. So the jury is still out on how good we might be.

"We have been productive in both games in points and yards, and we've been very balanced in rushing and passing. We have a veteran quarterback and running back. Our line is gelling and our receivers are mature. We have the ingredients for a good offense, but until we play a couple of SEC defenses I'm not prepared to say it's better than last year."

Georgia will enter Saturday's showdown ranked No. 2 in both major national polls (AP and USA Today/Coaches). The Bulldogs started the year atop the polls but were leapfrogged by Southern California after the Trojans destroyed Virginia, 52-7, in their season opener.

Richt, of course, will bring plenty of firepower to the table with junior quarterback Matthew Stafford, redshirt sophomore running back Knowshon Moreno, both potential first-round NFL draft picks next April, and a host of other players.

Staffford, who struggled in last season's loss to USC, completed 18-of-28 passes for 213 yards and two touchdowns in Georgia's 56-17 rout of Central Michigan Saturday afternoon at Sanford Stadium.

In the first two games, Stafford has completed 63.3 percent (31 of 49 passes) of his passes for 488 yards and four touchdowns. His favorite targets have been Mohamed Massaquoi (eight receptions) and Michael Moore (seven receptions). Moreno and freshman A.J. Green, a former teammate of USC quarterback Reid McCollum at Summerville High School, had five catches apiece.

Stafford started his 21st consecutive game at quarterback on Saturday against Central Michigan, while Green made his first career start.

Memories of last season's dismal performance against the Gamecocks should still linger for the junior QB from Dallas, Tex. He completed just 19-of-44 passes for 213 yards and spent most of the night under heavy pressure from the aggressive USC defense.

Georgia was ranked No. 11 when Steve Spurrier guided USC to a 16-12 upset win at Sanford Stadium. Spurrier is 12-3 all-time against the hated Bulldogs.

Moreno rushed for 168 yards and tied his career high with three touchdowns in the lopsided win over the Chippewas. It was his seventh career 100-yard game. His first came against USC last season when he compiled 104 yards on 14 carries for a gaudy 7.4 yards per carry.

"A year ago, we weren't sure how good Knowshon was, but we had a sneaking suspicion," Richt said. "Now, there's more confidence in Knowshon than there was a year ago."

Moreno, a native of Belford, N.J., has gained 1,561 yards in 15 career games, an average of 104.1 yards per contest, since being redshirted in 2006. Behind Moreno is a talented group led by redshirt freshman Caleb King, who has 123 yards and one touchdown through the first two games.

Georgia averaged 7.0 yards per rush in the first two games.

Based on how productive Moreno has been so far in his brief career, Richt questioned whether redshirting him two seasons ago was the correct decision. Moreno is eligible for the NFL Draft in April since this is his third year since graduating from high school.

"People always ask me how to describe him," Richt said. "He runs with power and he makes people miss. But he has a super quickness about him. Guys miss him in short, tight quarters. It's one thing to miss a guy out in space, but he makes so many guys miss in the box, it's amazing to me. He has improved his pass protection tremendously."

Last year Georgia was coming off an impressive win over Okalahoma State in the season opener when they were knocked off by the Gamecocks for the first time since 2001. But they rebounded to capture 10 of their final 11 games, including a 41-10 rout of upstart Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl.

Georgia has battled injuries in the early going. Starting left tackle Trinton Sturdivant was lost for the season during pre-season camp with multiple ligament injuries suffered in a scrimmage.

Sturdivant started all 13 games last season as a true freshman. Six-foot-6, 270-pound redshirt sophomore Kiante Tripp, a former teammate of USC cornerback Addison Williams at Westlake High School in Atlanta, has started the first two games at left tackle.

Then, in the season opener against Georgia Southern, senior defensive tackle Jeff Owens tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and will miss the rest of the campaign. He plans to return to Georgia next season.

So far, Georgia's weak non-conference schedule has allowed the Bulldogs to persevere. But Richt knows facing a SEC team is a different deal altogether.

South Carolina limited opponents to three points and 188 yards in the first six quarters of the 2008 season before Vanderbilt found enough cracks in the armor to score three touchdowns on 175 total yards in the second half of Thursday's 24-17 win over the Gamecocks.

"I thought (South Carolina's) defense last year was the best one (I've seen) just from a physical standpoint," Richt said. "They're big, strong and athletic. Their guys can run and hit. Watching tape, they're strong. The safeties come at you without any fear whatsoever as far as wanting to hit you. They're very good."

Richt said Georgia must figure out how to attack USC's pair of 270-pound tackles – Jasper Brinkley and Eric Norwood. Brinkley is off to a slow start after battling injuries in the pre-season. Norwood recovered from a sluggish opener to register 10 tackles, including a sack and tackle for loss, from his outside linebacker spot against Vanderbilt, though he operated from defensive end at times as well.

"Norwood is kind of a hybrid now," Richt said. "He's playing linebacker now, but he gets to defensive end in their nickel package and comes off the edge like he's done in the past. We have to just go right down the middle and keep our feet moving when we make our blocks. That will help."

September 6, 2008

Defense Still Miffed

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Defense still miffed[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Defense still miffed "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Defense still miffed"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>Anthony Dasher
Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Dawgvent

The final score said Georgia 56, Central Michigan 17, but for the second straight week, the Bulldogs' defense felt it let the offense down.
Leading 28-0, a late touchdown in the first half followed by a score on the Chippewas' opening possession of the third quarter allowed the defending MAC champions to climb within 14 points.
Although the outcome was never in doubt, the fact that Central Michigan was able to mount some consistent offense rubbed some players like linebacker Rennie Curran the wrong way.
"It concerns us a defense because when we go out we aim to be perfect and not make any mistakes," Curran said. "(Saturday), it was just little things that held us back and kind of let them get back in the game. We can't do that in some of these games that we've got coming up. We've got to get a lot better."
There was plenty of frustration to go around.
Heralded CMU quarterback Dan LeFevour lived up to many of his expectations, completing 23 of 43 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns, numbers he was able to achieve largely because the Bulldogs (2-0) were never able to apply consistent pressure.
"He's an outstanding player but we never got to him like I was hoping we would. We never did really disrupt his game, and we never really did hit him enough or pressure him enough," Georgia coach Mark Richt said. "He seemed to be in total control the whole game. That was one thing I thought we were going to have to do to slow him down, but we did get a break on that tipped ball that Demarcus (Dobbs) got that went for a touchdown."
Dobbs' play was definitely the highlight of the evening for the defense.
Leading 21-0, Dobbs returned an interception 78 yards for a 28-0 Georgia advantage, snagging the ball out of the air following a tip by cornerback Prince Miller.
But back came the Chippewas who scoring a touchdown with 27 seconds left in the half on a 12-yard pass from LeFevour to Joe Bockheim and on their first drive to open the third quarter when LeFevour tossed a 32-yard strike to Jean Pitts who beat Miller on the play.
"It was unfortunate that they got that score right before the half because if they didn't that's about as good as you can play defensively against that kind offensive football team," Richt said. "That last drive before the half we didn't get pressure, and when we didn't get pressure he broke contain, and they did a very good job of mixing up their quick passing game and some of their stuff where they thrown the ball down the field a little bit further.
"Now there were some times I was disappointed when they made some of the vertical throws that they did. We didn't do a great job in our Cover 2 a couple of times and they got us in man coverage and threw that little out and up on Prince. That was not a good image as Coach (Willie) Martinez likes to say, but we'll get better."
Richt said Central Michigan's blocking scheme caused his defensive line considerable problems throughout the game. That he said was the main reason the Bulldogs only collected one sack, which came courtesy of Curran in the second half.
"When they protect their quick game, they'll get up like they're passing and then they'll just chop your legs out and that disrupts your pass rush," Richt said. "If a lineman's unsure that a guy's going to block him high the whole way or if he's going to cut below the knee it's tough for them to be aggressive. I thought they did a super job before the half and the first drive of the second half."
Cornerback Asher Allen said at least the Bulldogs' defense finished stronger than it did against the Eagles.
After giving up a 30-yard field goal with 8:28 in the third, Georgia shut the Chippewas out the rest of the way.
"We did a decent job of containing (LeFevour), but that's still too many yards and that's something we have to work on before South Carolina next week," Allen said. "There's a lot we have to get better at. We made some good plays, but we've got to be able to start closing these things out quicker than we are."

September 8, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Offensive questions for Spurrier[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Offensive questions for Spurrier "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Offensive questions for Spurrier"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT>
Offensive Questions for Spurrier

Anthony Dasher
Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Dawgvent

This wasn't your father's version of Steve Spurrier who spoke with the media during his weekly teleconference Sunday afternoon, particularly as it pertains to Saturday's SEC opener against No. 2 Georgia.
There were no venom-tipped barbs, no sarcastic remarks or even the slightest indication that this week's contest is any different from any of the other 12 South Carolina (1-1, 0-1) play during the course of the 2008 campaign.
Even when a South Carolina beat reporter tried to get the 'Ole Ball Coach' to respond to suggestions that some fans believe the game has started to pass him by, Spurrier barely offered a retort.
"That's just part of the game. If the team's not playing well I'm not a good coach and I'm not a good coach right now," he said. "When we had guys running around and we were scoring all those points, I was a good coach. That's just the way life is and I accept it. I have no problems with the complaints."
In one way, it might be the ultimate sandbag. More likely, Spurrier and the Gamecocks are still feeling the sting from last week's 24-17 loss to Vanderbilt, and perhaps realizing that Saturday's game against Georgia (2-0) is potentially a must-win for South Carolina to stay in the SEC East chase.
To do this, Spurrier said he's considering several offensive changes, not the least of which is a quarterback rotation with Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley.
"We were hoping that (one QB would seize the job) would happen in the first game of the season and for whatever reason it didn't happen," Spurrier said. "It didn't quite happen in the second game either. There's nothing wrong with having two quarterbacks. In my entire coaching career, if you have two that are pretty close in ability, you play both of them.
"Some people say you can't play two (quarterbacks) but we've won with two guys before. I don't prefer to do that, but when you have two players playing very similarly, there's nothing wrong with doing that. We'll see how the season goes. Hopefully, one of the two will really play well and we won't have to keep doing this."
Spurrier, of course, is no stranger to platooning quarterbacks. At Florida, Spurrier captured the 2000 SEC title at Florida while rotating Rex Grossman and Jesse Palmer.
Both quarterbacks have seen their share of action thus far. Smelley has competed 28 of 44 passes for 325 yards and four touchdowns, while Beecher completed 12-of-22 passes for 106 yards but with four interceptions in the season-opening win against North Carolina State.
"We have two quarterbacks that haven't really distinguished themselves from each other, in my opinion," Spurrier said. "I have to make the call. We'll go through practice this week and try to see how each player performs a little bit in practice and how excited each player is to go play the game this week. We'll try to make a decision on which one gives us the best chance to beat Georgia."
Although Smelley has the better stats, Spurrier said the two are even heading into practice Monday afternoon.
"There's certainly something (Smelley) could have done better," Spurrier said. "And Tommy could have done better in the first game. That's why we're still searching to see who our best quarterback is. We're looking at them pretty close right now. We're looking at them as being pretty even."
Spurrier ruled out freshman Stephen Garcia seeing any action.
"Stephen is still learning the plays," "We're coaching him all the time, though. He'll get a few reps here and there. Monday night, we let the young guys scrimmage, so he'll get some scrimmage time (Monday)," Spurrier said. "He's getting a lot of coaching. When his chance comes, hopefully, he'll be ready."
Quarterback isn't the only question for Spurrier and the Gamecocks.
All-conference wide receiver Kenny McKinley is questionable after injuring his hamstring against Vanderbilt and Spurrier is unsure what effect it will have on him against the Bulldogs.
"I don't think anything was torn," Spurrier said. "We'll have to wait and see as the week goes. There's a chance he might be back. But, as you know, hamstring injuries tend to linger for two or three weeks. I hope it's not a severe one."

Total points scored in the game:

2007 - 28
2006 - 18
2005 - 32
2004 - 36
2003 - 38
2002 - 20
2001 - 23
2000 - 31
1999 - 33
1998 - 20

From 10 to 7 and with Richt's road record in conference play... I'm leaning UGA here. Have fun buddy

I believe Richt might be like 26-4 on the road at UGA.

When you say 10 to 7, do you mean vegasinsider or do you mean off-shore opening?

I am not going to talk anyone out of playing UGA, I can give you 100 reasons to play them, I'll stick with the total in this game, say a few prayers, and hope I don't watch a brutal ass rape

Sept. 8, 2008

The South Carolina Gamecocks returned to the Bluff Road practice fields Monday night as they began preparations for Saturday's nationally-televised game versus Georgia. It was their first scheduled workout since last Thursday's loss at Vanderbilt.
Wide receivers Kenny McKinley (right hamstring) and Moe Brown (strained right knee) were held out of Monday's practice. McKinley is listed as doubtful for Saturday's game, while Brown is expected to be back at practice, possibly as soon as Tuesday, according to head coach Steve Spurrier.
"We didn't expect (Kenny) to do anything," said Coach Spurrier. "It he makes any progress it will be later in the week. He's very doubtful."
This week's game will see the return of Jamon Meredith to the offensive line. Meredith had to sit out the season's first two games due to an eligibility issue. "Jamon played a little tackle and guard. We'll wait until later in the week to see where we'll place him."
Coach Spurrier indicated that the team was over the loss to Vanderbilt. "I think it's out of our system. We've all lost games before. It was a tough loss, but it's history. We're going to get ready for the next one. When this one's over, we're going to get ready for the next one. We'll try to do that the entire year. When the year's over we'll see what our record is and hope it's good enough." With McKinley doubtful for Saturday, Coach Spurrier indicated the young receivers, including Joe Hills, Jason Barnes and CC Whitlock, took a lot of reps tonight. "They all did pretty well," said Coach Spurrier.

spacer.gif

The Gamecocks will return to the practice fields on Tuesday at 4 p.m.

September 8, 2008

Spurrier Faces Decisions

With Saturday's border battle with Georgia still five days away, South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier faces two important questions as he prepares the Gamecocks for the No. 2 ranked Bulldogs.

Should Kenny McKinley play despite a strained hamstring?

Where will Jamon Meredith line up on the offensive line now that he's eligible to return to the active roster?

Spurrier didn't have definite answers to either question when he met the media following Monday night's two-hour session on the Bluff Road practice fields.

McKinley sat out the final three quarters of Thursday's 24-17 loss to Vanderbilt with the hamstring injury after collecting three receptions during the first quarter. He is officially listed a "doubtful" for Saturday's game.

"We didn't expect (Kenny) to do anything," Spurrier said. "If he makes any progress, it will be later in the week. He's very doubtful."

If McKinley is unable to play, Spurrier indicated several young receivers could be asked to step up. Joe Hills, Jason Barnes and C.C. Whitlock took a lot of reps Monday night and "they all did pretty well," Spurrier said.

Barnes has one reception this season, the only one of the three to have a catch so far in 2008.

After watching Jared Cook collect a career-high eight receptions for 111 yards in the loss to Vanderbilt, Spurrier added that USC should throw the ball more to tight end Weslye Saunders, who has zero receptions in the first two games.

"It's hard to play them all when you're not completing many passes," Spurrier said. "We've been struggling, but hopefully we can get better.

"We threw just about every pass last week to Jared (after McKinley's injury). We need to throw it to other guys. We need to run our offense and try to throw it at somebody other than Kenny or Jared and see if they can play. Hopefully, that's what we'll do for the rest of the year."

McKinley, a native of Mableton, Ga., described his status as "day to day" when he spoke with the media following practice. He wore a yellow non-contact jersey and did not participate in drills.

"Hopefully, I'll be ready to go, but if I'm not, I'll just have to root the team on," McKinley said. "Hopefully, it's not too bad and I can recover fast. I certainly want to play. It's my last time against Georgia. I hope to rehab and be ready to go Saturday. But if I'm going to hurt my team and not help, then I've got to let these other guys go out there and prove themselves."

McKinley said he sustained the injury running a route over the middle when he was hit from behind and "my leg just whipped up real quick." Can USC beat Georgia without its top receiver? It will be difficult, but McKinley insisted it wasn't impossible.

"I have full confidence in my teammates," McKinley said. "For some of the young guys like C.C., Jason, (Matt) Clements, Joe Hills, it's going to be crazy but I know they can do it, they can step up. I talked to the young guys and told them that if I'm not playing, they had to step up.

"I have confidence they will step up, because the coach (Spurrier, Jr.) has been giving them hands on help to get them ready for this game. It's time to put them out there under fire and see what they can do. It's time for them to go out there and become men. It will be a test against Georgia and I can't wait to see what they do."

Wide receiver Moe Brown also didn't practice Monday night with a strained right knee, but is expected back at practice as early as Tuesday.

"Moe will practice tomorrow," Spurrier said. "He's OK. He'll be all right."

Meredith, a fifth-year senior, has started 29 games over the last three seasons, including all 25 games in 2006 and 2007, before sitting out the first two games this year under a NCAA ruling two years ago that retroactively granted him a medical hardship for the 2004 season when he stepped on the field for just a few plays in the season opener against Vanderbilt.

Meredith entered the year as the incumbent at left tackle (18 consecutive starts), but he could be plugged into the lineup at another position along the offensive front. Spurrier said Meredith, an honor student and one of the strongest players on the team, worked out at both guard and tackle on Monday night.

"We'll wait until later in the week to see where we'll place him," Spurrier said.

Jarriel King, who committed a couple of false start penalties last Thursday night, said Meredith worked at left tackle with the first-team offensive line and at left guard with the second-team offensive line.

"I played well, but not well enough the way coaches want me to," King said. "I had some mental errors. I went hard on every play, but obviously it wasn't enough to get things clicking and get the job done. It was the first time I played in a stadium with that much noise. Man, I couldn't hear anything. I was frustrated. I couldn't hear the next guy next to me. Since I couldn't hear the snap, I thought it was an audible."

Since suffering the 16-12 setback to USC last year in Week 2, Georgia has won 12 of its last 13 games, including Saturday's 56-17 dismantling of Central Michigan in which the offense rolled up 552 yards of total offense behind quarterback Matthew Stafford and running back Knowshon Moreno. Both players entered the new season as Heisman Trophy candidates.

"They're a very good team, but of course we're going to play a bunch of good teams this year," Spurrier said. "This will be one of the best. We're looking forward to seeing if we can't play a lot better this week."

One of Spurrier's goals over the past three days has been to get the players to put the stinging loss to Vanderbilt in the closest as quickly as possible. He believes he has accomplished that.

"I think it's out of our system," Spurrier said. "We've all lost games before. It was a tough loss, but it's history. At the beginning of the year, we always say that whatever happens we're going to get ready for the next one, whether we win or lose. So, we're going to get ready for the next one. When this one is over, we're going to get ready for the next one. We'll try to do that for the entire year. When the year is over we'll see what our record is and hopefully it will be good enough."

BRINKLEY STILL ADJUSTING TO NEW ROLE: Jasper Brinkley has struggled in the early going, collecting just one tackle and dropping a potential interception in the loss at Vanderbilt. Overall, he has three tackles heading into the Georgia game. Brinkley said he's still adjusting to his revamped role in Ellis Johnson's 4-2-5 scheme.

"It's something new after playing in a 4-3 for so many years," Brinkley said. "It's very different from the 4-3. I think it's just a matter of getting comfortable with it. Right now, I'm just not playing with the right technique. In the 4-3, the middle linebacker runs inside out to the ball but in the 4-2-5, the middle linebacker boxes the ball a lot and keeps it on the inside."

Brinkley, who missed a portion of pre-season camp with an injury, led USC with 107 tackles in 2006 before suffering a season-ending knee injury in the fourth game last year. He decided to return to school rather than declare for the NFL Draft.

RYCHLESKI LAMENTS 'TWO LOUSY PLAYS': USC's special teams performed decently in Thursday night's loss to Vanderbilt, but 'two lousy' plays tainted the overall grade. First, a punt hit the leg of Addison Williams, allowing Vanderbilt to take possession at the USC 31. They scored a touchdown on the next play. USC responded by driving 12 plays to the VU 25, but Ryan Succop's 42-yard field goal was blocked by the Commodores, scooped up at the 27 and returned out to the VU 42. Vanderbilt took advantage of the good field possession by driving for a touchdown in five plays.

"Two bad plays, it just shows you," USC special teams coordinator Ray Rychleski said recently. "We played pretty darn good special teams except for two lousy plays, and those two plays were pretty darned important. It's like the left tackle can play a 100 plays and 99 can be great but if he misses the guy one time and gets the quarterback knocked out, he's had a bad game. That's just the way it is. Just like Coach (Spurrier) said, offense, defense, special teams, we all could have been a lot better."

Rychleski attributed the Williams muff to bad luck, as in being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The miscue won't cause him to alter USC's punt return scheme.

"The only other way is to let the gunners run down there free," Rychleski said. "That's not very smart, is it? It's frustrating because it was a big play in the game. It's 10-3 and our ball and all of a sudden it's 10-10 and we're on our heels."

Succop also missed a 48-yarder, making him 1-for-3 on the night. He's 3-for-5 in field goal attempts this year, 2-for-4 from beyond 39 yards. Succop had a strong night on kickoffs, averaging 70 yards on three kicks with one touchback.

"I'm not disappointed because a lot of NFL guys miss 48-yarders with a gusting wind," Rychleski said. "On the blocked field goal, all I saw was a low kick. He tried to drive it through the wind. When we kicked off, they never got past the 20-yard line. Our returns were out to the 50, 45 and 33. We had one bad return, I understand that. We didn't block on that play. We made more plays (on special teams) than they made. We were just unlucky. That's all it was."

COOK BECOMING A FORCE ON OFFENSE: With wide receiver Kenny McKinley possibly sidelined for Saturday's clash with Georgia, tight end Jared Cook may take on a larger role within the USC offense. Last Thursday, he had a career-high eight receptions for 111 yards against Vanderbilt, earning him an Honorable mention from the SEC in the Player of the Week balloting.

Cook now leads USC with 10 receptions – one-third of his total from last season - for 130 yards through the first two games of the year, pushing his career total to 46 receptions for 664 yards. But Cook said he would trade his statistics for a win over the Commodores.

Spurrier, meanwhile, said Monday night that he will make sure the USC quarterbacks throw to different receivers on Saturday rather than locking in on McKinley, if he plays, and Cook.

USC TOPS IN TOTAL DEFENSE: USC leads the SEC in total defense through the first two weekends of the regular season with an average yield of 181.5 yards per game. The Gamecocks have surrendered 363 yards on 111 plays, a scant 3.3 yards per play. Kentucky is second in the conference at 184.5 yards per game. The Wildcats still haven't allowed a touchdown through two games. Here is where the USC defense ranks within the SEC in the various defensive categories:

Total Defense – First (181.5 ypg)
Scoring Defense – Fifth (12.0 ppg)
Rushing Defense – Tenth (112.0 ypg)
Passing Defense – First (69.5 ypg)
Pass Defense Effic. – Second (72.7 rating)

RICHT STILL CONCERNED WITH USC OFFENSE: Mark Richt understands USC has struggled on offense in the first two weeks of the season with two different quarterbacks, but he has too much respect for Steve Spurrier to take anything for granted when the two teams collide Saturday afternoon.

"It seems like Coach Spurrier has always had a consistent trigger man and I still think they're looking for that right now," Richt said. "But I can promise you that we're concerned about Coach Spurrier's offense. We always have been. We have the ultimate respect for him. When we play those guys, it's just a battle royale. They've been relatively low-scoring games when we've played against them. We haven't done much on offense and they haven't either."

Georgia has averaged 16.3 points in the last eight meetings with the Gamecocks. Take away the 31-7 win by the Bulldogs in 2003 and the average dips to 14.1 points. USC limited Georgia to four field goals in last season's 16-12 victory in Athens.

"There have been some defensive struggles," Richt said. "Special team plays have made the difference. I'm not really going to prepare our team for anything different than that. That's the frame of mind we have to get in and we must know it's going to be a close ballgame. We also know it could go into overtime, and that we might have to use the one-minute drill to get it done. Special teams and field position will be huge. Those kind of games seem boring sometimes, but that's what it may come down to in order to win the game."

RICHT MATCHES WITS WITH JOHNSON AGAIN: Saturday's meeting at Williams-Brice Stadium will mark the third time USC defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and Georgia head coach Mark Richt have locked horns on the gridiron. Johnson, of course, was the defensive coordinator for Mississippi State from 2004-07. Georgia won the "Battle of the Bulldogs" in 2005 and 2006 by the scores of 23-10 and 27-24, respectively.

"Defensive coordinators are very much like offensive coordinators. They have to look at their players and see what they do best," Richt said. "They try to play the type of coverages and schemes that will accentuate the skill level of their players. I think he's learned his personnel and what's best for his team while also looking at matchups every single week. If he feels good about matchups, he might play more man coverage. If he doesn't, he might play more zone. You have to do it on a weekly basis and (Johnson) is outstanding at that."

The 56 points scored by Georgia against Central Michigan was the second highest single game total under Richt, and the most scored at home since he became the head coach in 2001. The Bulldogs rolled up 552 yards of total offense on 69 plays.

NOTES:

-- USC announced that the kickoff for the Sept. 20 home game against Wofford has been set for 7 p.m. The contest will be available throughout the Palmetto State on a pay-per-view basis. Mike Morgan will serve as the play-by-play announcer and Brad Muller will be the color analyst. Former Gamecock great George Rogers will be the sideline reporter. The teams last met in 2006 with USC holding on for a hard-fought 27-20 win.

-- In the Still Waiting Dept: Spurrier said fullback Yvan Banag hopes to have his student visa problem resolved this week. If it is, Spurrier said he will be able to dress for Saturday's game against Georgia.

-- After Georgia dominated the rivalry with USC throughout the 1960's and most of the 1970's, a large reason the Bulldogs lead the all-time series by a wide margin (44-14-2), USC has rebounded over the last 20 years. Beginning in 1988, USC is 7-11 against Georgia with consecutive victories in 1988-89 and 2000-01. If USC wins Saturday, it will mark the fourth time since 1979 that the Gamecocks have won in consecutive years over the Bulldogs. USC has never beaten Georgia three years in a row.

-- Besides defense, USC is excelling on kickoffs. The Gamecocks are second in the SEC in kickoff returns (27.6 yards per return) behind Tennessee and second on kickoff coverage (50.5 net avg.), trailing only Kentucky.

-- USC is one of six SEC schools perfect in red zone so far, converting all seven of their opportunities inside the 20-yard line. The Gamecocks have six touchdowns and one field goal after penetrating the red zone.

-- Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno was honored as the SEC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday after rushing for 168 yards and three touchdowns on 18 carries in the Bulldogs' convincing 56-17 victory over Central Michigan Saturday. One of the TD runs went for 52 yards. He also hurdled a Chippewa defender in a highlight reel play. Moreno added three receptions for 30 yards.

-- The broadcasting crew for CBS on Saturday afternoon will be Verne Lundquist (play-by-play) and Gary Danielson (color analyst). Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. ET. The contest can also be heard on WKNT 107.5 FM "The Game."

-- Besides USC-Georgia, the following games involving SEC teams will be televised this Saturday: UAB at Tennessee, 12:30 p.m. (Raycom), Arkansas at Texas, 3:30 p.m. (ABC) and Auburn at Mississippi State, 7 p.m. (ESPN2).

-- The SEC announced on Monday the football broadcast schedule for Sat., Sept. 20. USC is hosting Wofford at 7 p.m. on that date. Here are the SEC games that will be available on that date on the various network and cable partners:

Alabama at Arkansas, 12:30 p.m. (Raycom)
Florida at Tennessee, 3:30 p.m. (CBS)
LSU at Auburn, 7:45 p.m. (ESPN)
Georgia at Arizona State, 8:10 p.m. (ABC)

September 9, 2008

Brinkley Mystified
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger

Jasper Brinkley was about as subtle as one of his patented forearm clubbings to the chest.

"I haven't played up to my ability, at no point whatsoever," South Carolina's middle linebacker flatly said after Monday's practice. "That's the way I feel."

The numbers do seem unbelievable.

Two games (two starts), three tackles. Two solo stops, one assist. One quarterback hurry. One dropped interception, a ball that hit him right in the numbers with no one around.

Three tackles? Brinkley used to get that tying his shoes every morning.

"I guess ... I don't know," the senior said, grasping for an explanation. "There's really no excuse for it. Being a defensive player, you got to find a way to get to the ball no matter what it is. Nothing to do with the injury or speed, nothing ... just me, you know."

Brinkley could have blamed it on the knee he hurt last year, or the ankle he sprained last year and re-tweaked this year in preseason. He could have scowled at the question and replied with, "What'd you expect? I've been on my butt for almost a year!"

But he didn't. He was cleared to play, said he was 100 percent. He was out there for the first snap against N.C. State two weeks ago and barking the signals, just like he'd done since first taking over the defense in 2006.

But the explosiveness, the fly-to-the-ball viciousness, the nasty pops he dealt out so regularly during his first season, haven't been there.

It's not that Brinkley's playing badly. He's part of a unit that's first in the SEC (and ninth in the country) in total defense.

But he's not ... well, he's not JASPER BRINKLEY, you know?

"Maybe I need to meet one-on-one with (defensive coordinator Ellis) Johnson and talk over some new things or something," he sighed.

Johnson's new 4-2-5 scheme has benefited the Gamecocks tremendously, keeping two linebackers (Brinkley and Eric Norwood) in the middle with spur Darian Stewart able to shift to either side of the field, as a third linebacker or third cornerback. Stewart, quicker than a linebacker yet retaining the hard hits of one, is second only to safety Emanuel Cook in tackles.

Stewart and Norwood are tied with 10 each, behind Cook's 18. Brinkley, who more than doubled the second-place guy in 2006, is tied with four others for 10th place.

"He's playing well," Johnson said after the N.C. State game. "It's just the way plays are being run at him right now."

Opponents have no doubt read up on Brinkley, injuries or no, and have wisely tried to run away from him. Once that happens, Brinkley's assignment shifts from middle to outside, and he's following Norwood or Stewart in getting to the ballcarrier.

Elementary, really. Good excuse.

Not.

"I don't think it's the injuries," he deferred. "I'm not playing the technique I'm supposed to. I got to find a way to get to the ball, no matter what scheme I'm in."

With No. 2 Georgia strutting into Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday, Brinkley is starting to press. He had four tackles against the Bulldogs his first year and five last year, also recording his first career interception that sealed a 16-12 win. For the Thomson, Ga., native, being out on the field for the last time against the Bulldogs is imperative.

He'll be there. Whether HE'LL be there is the question.

"I think it's always an eye-opener," he said of the series. "Look at Georgia last year. We beat them, and they (almost) went undefeated the rest of the year.

"I've just got to get myself together."

September 9, 2008

Spurrier Still Hoping Single QB Emerges
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Spurrier Still Hoping Single QB Emerges[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier Still Hoping Single QB Emerges "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier Still Hoping Single QB Emerges"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood

Since little separates quarterbacks Chris Smelley and Tommy Beecher, South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier plans to play both in Saturday's 3:30 p.m. showdown with No. 2 Georgia at Williams-Brice Stadium.

But that doesn't mean Spurrier isn't hoping one will emerge soon as the clear-cut favorite and grab the starting job by the horns.

Still, until that day comes, Spurrier will prepare both quarterbacks as if they're going to play significant snaps.

"There's a good chance both of them will play," Spurrier said Tuesday during his weekly press conference. "We'll go from there. I don't know how else to do it except get both of them ready and give one, the one who starts the game, an excellent opportunity to go the distance and have the other guy ready."

As the Gamecocks head into Week 3 of the regular season, each quarterback offers something different. Smelley has displayed a more accurate throwing arm in the first two games, while Beecher possesses the mobility Spurrier craves going up against modern defenses.

"Right now, we see Chris and Tommy as performing sort of evenly," Spurrier said. "Statistically, Chris is better but we feel like Tommy certainly has the potential to do some things that may give us a chance to win the game."

Smelley posted career highs with 23 completions and 39 pass attempts in last Thursday's 24-17 loss at Vanderbilt. Overall, Smelley has completed 63.6 percent (28 of 44) of his passes for 325 yards and four touchdowns.

Both of his interceptions occurred last Thursday when USC had the ball inside Vanderbilt's 40-yard line. Beecher was 12-of-22 for 106 yards and four interceptions when he left the season opener against N.C. State late in the third quarter with an injury.

"Hopefully, we can take care of the ball a lot better and our offense can perform efficiently," Spurrier said. "If we do that, I think we can certainly be in the game. But we cannot have the turnovers and bad plays that have given our opponents some extra chances. We're going to see if we can do that this week."

With USC throwing six interceptions in two games, Spurrier is trying to get his quarterbacks to become a little more aggressive in the passing game and not hang onto the ball too long.

"We certainly need to get the ball out of the quarterback's hands a little quicker at times," Spurrier said. "I told Tommy and Chris yesterday that the more college games you watch all over the country, (defensive) linemen and linebackers are sometimes going to come free. You're not going to have
perfect protection all day. There's going to be times when you're going to have to sidestep a guy and throw it away."

Whoever is quarterbacking the Gamecocks on Saturday will try to avoid being shutout by Georgia for the second consecutive time at Williams-Brice Stadium. The Bulldogs shut down USC's running game in an 18-0 victory in 2006, marking just the second time a Spurrier-coached team was blanked. The first time occurred in 1987, his first year as a collegiate head coach.

However, USC penetrated inside the Georgia 5-yard line twice without coming away with any points. The Gamecocks were 0-for-3 in the red zone in the 2006 matchup. Obviously, USC must be more productive in the red zone this time around in order to have any chance of beating Georgia for the second consecutive year.

Recent history between the two schools suggests points could be at a premium. The winning team has not scored more than 20 points in any of the last four games and just once in the last seven battles since 2001.

Five of the last seven clashes between USC and Georgia have been decided by five points or less. In last year's meeting, USC got a 9-yard TD run from Cory Boyd, a play that proved to be the difference in a 16-12 victory that snapped the Gamecocks' five-game losing streak in the series.

"Last year, we had a lot of good breaks in that game, no question about it," Spurrier said. "They had several scoring opportunities, passes that they just didn't connect. That was the reason we won the game. But this is a new year, a new team on both parts. I still believe we're a better team than we were last year, although offensively we certainly have not shown that. Hopefully, we'll start playing a lot better."

The current SEC statistical rankings point to another close, hard-fought defensive battle between the teams. After two games, the Gamecocks are allowing just 12.0 points per game, and lead the SEC in total defense (181.5 yards per game) and passing defense (69.5 ypg).

"We have a very good defense," Spurrier said. "We're confident our defense will play well. For us to have an opportunity to win, certainly our defense has to play well. We also have to play smart on offense. Sixteen points, as it turned out, was good enough last year. That would be probably be the preferred scenario (again), unless there were some special teams scores or defensive scores. If that happens, the score can get up there. But if both teams have to go 80 yards every possession, I don't think it's going to be a high-scoring game."

After allowing just three points in the first six quarters this season, the Gamecocks surrendered 21 points in the second half of the Vanderbilt loss.

"Coach (Ellis) Johnson was disappointed in the way we played in the second half, that (Vanderbilt) was able to score touchdowns three of the four times they got down there," Spurrier said. "We're trying to fix why it happened and so forth."

Whether USC is able to contain Georgia's productive passing game with quarterback Matthew Stafford is one of the key questions heading into the game. UGA has scored 101 points in the first two games and will be aiming to score at least 45 points for the third straight game for the first time in school history.

"They have a quarterback in Matthew Stafford who is a three-year starter," Spurrier said. "They have tremendous confidence in him and the passing game, as well as the running game. Georgia really doesn't have many weaknesses on offense, defense or special teams. They're a very good team. They're well-coached. Their guys hustle and play hard all the time. They're usually in position and don't make many mistakes."

Besides Stafford, the Bulldogs also feature Knowshon Moreno, one of the top running backs in the country. The redshirt sophomore leads the SEC in rushing with 227 yards in two games.

"We can't let Moreno run up and down the field," Spurrier said. "He's up for the Heisman, isn't he? We've got to get a bunch of guys up there and then our defensive backs have got to cover. When we're in man, we've got to cover. We also have to play good zones, all that kind of stuff."

USC has limited opponents to six-of-24 third-down conversions (25 percent), a major reason the Gamecocks allowed just three first-half points in the first two weeks. Georgia, meanwhile, is ninth in the conference in total defense (299.5 ypg).

Besides the close quarterback battle, another important issue for USC is who will catch the passes. Spurrier reiterated top receiver Kenny McKinley is doubtful for Saturday's game. He departed the Vanderbilt game late in the first quarter with a strained right hamstring and watched the rest of the game from the bench in street clothes.

"Kenny was not able to do anything yesterday and probably won't do anything today," Spurrier said. "I would say he's doubtful. When you severely pull a hamstring like he did, it's usually a two-to-three week deal. I hope he can (play) but right now we're trying to prepare some of these other receivers."

With McKinley likely sidelined, the window of opportunity has opened for a crop of promising young receivers led by Jason Barnes, Joe Hills and C.C. Whitlock. All three receivers were listed on this week's depth chart as backups.

However, Spurrier reinforced on Tuesday that he won't put any of them on the field in crunch time until they prove in practice they have fully grasped the system. At the same time, Spurrier acknowledged their perceived lack of progress in two years was "a little bit frustrating."

"They got a lot of reps last night in practice. We just have to get them out there and let them play and see what they can do," Spurrier said. "They haven't quite come around. But maybe they're going to start here real soon. We're going to put them out there this week. Joe Hills is actually going to start in one of our different formations out there.

"Jason Barnes is a backup at several of the positions. We're trying to get C.C. Whitlock involved a little bit, too. But we go by how they practice. You watch them in practice every day, and if they can get open and catch a ball in practice, they'll be starters. But when they don't get open and don't catch very many balls in practice, it's just hard to put them out there."

Until the young receivers show they're ready, Spurrier will keep relying on veterans like Dion LeCorn (33 career receptions), Moe Brown (six career starts) and Freddie Brown (first career TD catch at Vandy).

"What really makes a quarterback are really great receivers," Spurrier said. "Certainly, Sidney (Rice) was a great receiver for two years. Right now, we get bump-and-run, we're not sure who can get open. We need playmakers. Kenny, obviously, is one, but you just need those kind of playmakers on your team. We've not been anything super-duper around here yet."

Without McKinley, the biggest receiving threat could become tight end Jared Cook, who had a career-high eight receptions for 111 yards against Vanderbilt last week. He's now the team leader in receptions with 10.

The offensive line could also have a different look with the addition of Jamon Meredith, who is returning from a NCAA-mandated two-game absence. He was listed on Tuesday's depth chart as the co-starter at left guard along with Lemuel Jeanpierre.

However, the senior from Simpsonville worked with the first-team offense at left tackle during Monday night's practice ahead of Jarriel King, who is still trying to make the adjustment from defensive tackle to offensive tackle.

c.gif

September 9, 2008

No. 2 UGA Offers chance for Historical Upset

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]No. 2 UGA offers chance of historical upset[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "No. 2 UGA offers chance of historical upset "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "No. 2 UGA offers chance of historical upset"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>David Cloninger
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

It's always brought up whenever South Carolina plays a Top 5 opponent.

What's the Gamecocks' highest-ranked defeated opponent?

The answer's stayed the same for 27 years. Third-ranked North Carolina fell 31-13 to USC on Oct. 24, 1981. Although the Gamecocks have played a Top 5 team 30 times in their history, that day over the Tar Heels is the only time they've won.

With Saturday's opponent, No. 2 Georgia, on the horizon, of course the subject was broached again.

"We were talking in the staff meeting room, that I don't think South Carolina's ever beaten the No. 2 team in the country," coach Steve Spurrier said during his Tuesday press conference. "I think No. 3 was the best some years back.

"I remember we mentioned that before the Auburn game two years ago, we had the chance to do some history around here. So that opportunity presents itself. So that's something we can try to do, try our best to accomplish here Saturday."

The Bulldogs were No. 11 when USC won 16-12 last year in Athens, Ga., and USC beat a No. 6 Georgia team 23-10 in 1988. The Gamecocks have also topped the Bulldogs when they were No. 9 (2000) and No. 12 (1984).

ACHILLES WATCH?: Four questions during the press conference centered on third-string quarterback Stephen Garcia, who has yet to take a snap. Spurrier reiterated that Chris Smelley and Tommy Beecher, perhaps a combination of the two, will play against Georgia but Garcia, the heralded "prospect," is doing well in practice.

"Yeah, he's getting better," Spurrier said. "He's working hard, he really is. He's studying his plays and his attitude has really improved from last year, when he was just around. I think Stephen has matured a bit. Hopefully wants to do the right things around here now."

Garcia is supposedly the best mobile quarterback USC has, but his arm strength can only be judged by outsiders from a couple of open practices. He hasn't spoken to media this season after releasing a statement at the beginning of August, saying he wouldn't comment until he played.

"Well, we'll wait and see as the season progresses here," Spurrier said. "Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley were here all summer, working out with the guys. I really believe they deserve every opportunity to be our quarterbacks right now. And we'll go from there."

SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE: Spurrier once again said that young receivers Joe Hills, Jason Barnes and C.C. Whitlock would get a chance on Saturday, a similar comment to what he's said the past two weeks. After talking up the trio (along with Matt Clements), each week, the production has been virtually non-existant.

Only Barnes and Clements have gotten into a game and Barnes is the only one with a catch. Spurrier said that trying to play all of the receivers is a difficult choice, but one that could be made easier this week assuming Kenny McKinley can't play.

"It's a little bit that they haven't quite come around," Spurrier said. "But maybe they're going to start here real soon. Joe Hills is actually going to start in one of our different formations out there. And Jason Barnes, he's a backup at, I think, several of the positions. We're trying to get C.C. Whitlock involved a little bit, too."

Spurrier said it's strictly a matter of who practices the most, but it was vital to get somebody besides McKinley, Jared Cook and Dion LeCorn the ball. That process could begin this week.

"You watch them in practice every day, and if they can get open and catch a ball in practice, they'll be starters," Spurrier said. "If they can get open and catch the ball, they'll be starters here. But when they don't get open and don't catch very many balls in practice, it's just hard to put them out there."

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?: Spurrier was asked if he was satisfied with his quarterback development in the fourth year of his tenure. Spurrier replied that he liked the mechanics of former starter Blake Mitchell but a big part of a QB's success was his wide receivers.

"Certainly, Sidney (Rice) was a great receiver for two years," he said. "Right now, we get bump-and-run, we're not sure who can get open. If Sidney had it out there, just lob it up in the air somewhere where he can get his hands on it.

"Those playmakers, I guess that's the word they use, playmakers ... Kenny, obviously, is one, but you just need those kind of playmakers on your team that they come around and help your quarterbacks. But we've not been anything super-duper around here yet."

Spurrier was further asked if he could judge his quarterbacks' progress.

"No, that's your guys' duties, not mine, to judge it," he said.

BANGED UP: Besides McKinley's pulled right hamstring (he's listed as doubtful for Georgia), the only other injury to a main player was the strained right knee of receiver Moe Brown. Spurrier said Brown would probably play.

McKinley was in a yellow jersey at Tuesday's practice but Brown was in full pads, a night after sitting out in a yellow. McKinley was joined by mainstays Jay Spearman, Reggie Bowens, Kevin Young and Nick Prochak.

OTHER PRACTICE NOTES: Yvan Banag returned to practice in full uniform after apparently having his student visa dilemma resolved. Spurrier passed by and confirmed it, flashing a thumbs-up and saying, "Banag's back! He's an American now!" ... A player in No. 29 (Chris Hail's number) was in a garnet jersey, perhaps meaning Hail was working with the offense. ... Tori Childers showed up in a scout team jersey and no pads.

September 9, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Man with a Plan[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Man with a Plan "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Man with a Plan"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Man With A Plan

Anthony Dasher

When Matthew Stafford leads the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs onto the field at Williams-Brice Stadium Saturday against South Carolina, it will be a different, headier quarterback than the Gamecocks are used to seeing.
The Bulldog nation certainly hopes so.
As a freshman against South Carolina, Stafford came off the bench and completed 8-of-19 passes for a respectable 171 yards, but with three interceptions. Last year, Stafford struggled again, completing just 19-of-44 passes for 213 yards with one pick as the Bulldogs dropped a 16-12 decision before a shocked house at Sanford Stadium.
<!--Start Stafford, Matt 200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/878/687750.jpg', '687750.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Matthew Stafford', 'Radi Nabulsi', 1220993418000, 'Stafford, Matt 200', 878, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
687750.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Radi Nabulsi</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Matthew Stafford</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Stafford, Matt 200 Image-->This time it's a confident, self-assured quarterback that will face the Gamecocks, one who's not only confident in his physical ability, but also with his ability as a leader to check in and out of almost any play that's enabled him to stand out among his peers. Will that knowledge and ability make a difference against a Gamecock team hungry for a win after being upset by Vanderbilt last week? Stafford's counting on it.
"I think we can do more than we did last year. Last year we were putting in a new offense that we had just put in during the spring and there was a bunch of different terminology, blocking schemes and things like that," Stafford said. "That was different for us and tough to execute against such a good defense. I personally didn't play well at all and that really hurt us."
So far in 2008, Stafford hasn't been subject to the kind of inconsistencies that hurt he and Bulldogs in last year's game.
In Georgia's wins over Georgia Southern and Central Michigan, Stafford has completed over 63 percent of his passes (31-for-49) for 488 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions.
But it's just not just the statistics that make head coach Mark Richt smile.
With his third year in the program, Stafford has become an expert when it comes to executing the Bulldog offense by knowing when and how to check out of certain situations, be it with the run or the pass.
"That helps us a lot and his role has definitely increased in his ability to make changes at the line of scrimmage. There are very few runs nowadays that we'll call and say run this play no matter what," Richt said. "We do it sometimes but not very often and when we do it, it's sometimes a short yardage goal line or something that's tied into a lot of shifts and motions where you don't have time to be at the line and do all those changes."
More often than not, it's the right call.
In fact, Richt said he can count on one finger the number of incorrect calls that Stafford has made thus far this season.
"Most teams will call their cadence and then you'll see that quarterback look to the coach over and over and over. We don't do that. We let Matthew decide because he understands it and because he really has a better view than we do," Richt said. "We trust his judgment. I think he's made one decision where he didn't make the right call. And he's doing this 30, 40 times a game."
It actually took Stafford a second to recall the play that Richt was thinking about.
"I know last week there was one when we actually had it blocked on a run and I didn't think we did so I checked the other way. We ended up getting a couple of yards, but I didn't have to do it, I guess." Stafford said. "As far as checking off, I'm doing that a little more this year, just as far as numbers-wise and how many times I'm doing it. But it's something that I enjoy and it's good for us as a team."
There's another reason for Stafford's jump in completions. Richt said Tuesday receivers have done a much better job on their routes and their understanding of the offense is greater than it was this time a year ago.
The statistics indicate this to be true.
Stafford has completed passes for 11 different players thus far, including eight different wide receivers, with Mohamed Massaquoi and Mike Moore leading the way with eight and seven grabs, respectively.
"It's just due to everybody working hard the offseason," Massaquoi said. "Our strength coaches did a great job of getting us to work hard this whole offseason physically and we also took the challenge of preparing ourselves mentally to get ready for this year.
Stafford too has noticed the change.
"They're doing a great job. They've been making plays and catching alls all over the field. It's a testament to them that so many of them are getting catches. It feels like a bunch of different guys are making catches anyway. It's great to see them producing."
Stafford concedes his comfort level is greater than ever before.
"That's the biggest deal for me," Stafford said. "I'm just trying to make sure I compete all of the short- to intermediate-range passes and doing that pretty well so far."

Hey ETG, just heard something about a big fight on campus that may have involved some football players. Apparently some guys from off campus (non-students, I'm assuming) came to the Russell House and started something. That's really all that I heard, didn't know if you could elaborate on this one...

Actually just found this from The State, probably not a big deal as none of the players had significant playing time as of yet this season.

Five players involved in lunchtime brawl

Police list players as victims after a lunch-time incident at the student union

Written by JOSEPH PERSON

jperson@thestate.com

Posted on 09.12.08

email print reprint or license <!-- AddThis Bookmark Button BEGIN --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> addthis_url = location.href; addthis_title = document.title; addthis_pub = 'thestate'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/addthis_widget.php?v=12" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT> <!-- AddThis Bookmark Button END -->
<!-- START /pubsys/gogamecocks/story/story_assets.comp --><SCRIPT language=Javascript>function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }</SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available -->
<!-- no polls to display -->

The Grand Market Place at USC's Russell House after Thursday's altercation

<!-- END /pubsys/gogamecocks/story/story_assets.comp -->
<!-- END RELATED CONTENT -->Five USC football players who were involved in an on-campus brawl with non-students Thursday are not expected to face charges.
Campus police are investigating the altercation that occurred during lunch hour at the busy Grand Market Place food court at the Russell House in the heart of campus.
Each of the football players named in the incident report was listed as a victim in the civil disturbance: receiver C.C. Whitlock, offensive lineman Terrence Campbell, defensive lineman Melvin Ingram and defensive backs Akeem Auguste and Antonio Allen.
The report lists the suspects as unknown, although university spokesman Russ McKinney said the other combatants do not go to USC.
“It appears that individuals who are definitely non-USC students entered the Russell House and the altercation ensued,” McKinney said.
Asked about any possible punishment for the players, Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said he would let USC’s police and administration handle the situation.
“You need to call the university police and ask them what happened. I wasn’t there,” Spurrier said. “I’ve just heard second-hand reports that there was a little fracas, a little tussle between some people we don’t know and some of our football players. ... We’ll let the police and university tell us exactly what happened and what we need to do.”
McKinney said police are investigating whether the fight was gang-related.
“At this point, there is no reason to think that’s the case,” he said. “But that is something that’s being looked at.”
None of the five players involved has played much, if at all, this season. Spurrier talked this week about possibly getting Whitlock, a freshman from Chester, more involved in the offense.
All five players attended Thursday’s practice, although USC does not allow players to talk to the media on Thursdays or Fridays.
Spurrier said none of the players was injured in the brawl, which resulted in a number of overturned tables and chairs, according to witnesses.
USC defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said: “The only thing I think I know about it is we’re victims.”
McKinney said no one was injured and there was no property damage at the student union.
A university food service employee reported the fight to police, who responded around 1:15 p.m. and spent nearly 1 ½ hours at the scene. The officers interviewed the players, according to the report.
Spurrier said he does not think the incident will be a distraction as the Gamecocks get ready for Saturday’s game against No. 2 Georgia.

USC players will not press charges in brawl

Written by Joseph Person

Posted on 09.12.08<!-- AddThis Bookmark Button BEGIN --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> addthis_url = location.href; addthis_title = document.title; addthis_pub = 'thestate'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/addthis_widget.php?v=12" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><!-- AddThis Bookmark Button END -->

<!-- END RELATED CONTENT -->The five USC football players involved in Thursday’s lunchtime brawl at the Russell House have declined to press charges against the non-students they fought in the food court of the student union.
USC spokesman Russ McKinney said the players – defensive backs Akeem Auguste and Antonio Allen, receiver C.C. Whitlock, offensive lineman Terrence Campbell and defensive lineman Melvin Ingram – signed statements indicating they did not want to pursue criminal charges against their two combatants, who were not identified in the incident report.
The players, who were listed as victims in the report, are not expected to face any punishment.
Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said Thursday he planned to let USC’s police and administration handle the situation. On Friday USC athletics director Eric Hyman said he thought Spurrier’s comments were appropriate.
“It appears, like somebody said, it was people from the outside coming in,” Hyman said. “They had a lot of witnesses to that effect.”
According to witnesses, two men, whom McKinney said were not USC students, entered the Russell House around 12:30 p.m. and started the fight, which resulted in a number of overturned tables and chairs.
McKinney said no one was injured during the brawl and there was no property damage at the Grand Market Place food court, located on Greene Street in the heart of campus.
The investigation is ongoing.

ETG -

If you had to choose a side on this one, which way do you lean? Sorry if you mentioned in your posts, but I did not see it.

BOL this week!

Back