UFC Sues Heavyweight Champ Randy Couture

mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
UFC Sues Heavyweight Champ Randy Couture

Zuffa LLC, the UFC’s parent company, filed a lawsuit on Monday against heavyweight champion Randy Couture in the Clark County District Court stemming from the fighter’s public statements about the organization and his new involvement with the competing International Fight League. News of the lawsuit was reported in today’s edition of The Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Couture, who came out of retirement to defeat Tim Sylvia for the UFC’s heavyweight title in March 2007, resigned from the organization this past October citing a number of complaints, including a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay (including a promised signing bonus he claimed the UFC never paid him), and the UFC’s inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

The lawsuit seeks both compensatory and punitive damages due to Couture’s recent comments, and the UFC is also seeking an injunction to halt Couture’s involvement with the IFL. Earlier this month, the IFL announced that the organization would drop city-affiliated teams and would instead draw its fighters from already-established fight camps. The Xtreme Couture gym is one of four set to compete at the IFL’s season opener on Feb. 29.

According to today’s story at www.lvjr.com, Couture may not be the only in the UFC’s crosshairs:
Monday’s lawsuit claims Couture’s negative statements about the company constituted “injurious falsehood and trade disparagement” that has led to significant financial losses for the UFC.​
The lawsuit also alleges conspiracy, stating that several unnamed parties to be identified at a later date worked with Couture to intentionally inflict harm on the UFC.​
UFC President Dana White was quoted as saying that Couture wasn’t fulfilling the obligations set forth in his contract and that “Captain America is not keeping his word.“
The full story can be found at www.lvjr.com.

looks like the Randy Couture vs. UFC fight is starting to get heated up. :pillow:

Dana White is a fucking joke :down2:

Evil Empire....

Though I think it's a great idea of how the IFL format is going to be....."camp vs. camp". When Pat Miletch had his team in the IFL, I remember reading an article of how bitter Dana White was and how he threatened to cut-off any Miletch fighters in the UFC.

Dana is doing exactly what I would do. This is no different than Nike/Reebok, Coke/Pepsi, etc. M-1 is a joke of an organization that is strapped for money. They bought a couple good fighters and Fedor and had the plan all along to "rent" them out as long as the M-1 tag was placed in the fight. BS! Let them beg for fights with EliteXC and Bodog.

Dana is not the problem between the Fedor/RC fight. It is Fedor. Dana offered Fedor so much more than what RC was getting paid, that is what pissed Randy off.

Report: Mark Cuban Sues UFC for Contract Clarification on Randy Couture

Mark Cuban, the owner of the upstart HDNet Fights organization and MMA-centric HDNet cable station, has filed suit against the UFC to get a declaratory judgment concerning the contractual status of Randy Couture.
The report comes from Adam Swift of Sherdog.com.

Couture, the UFC’s heavyweight champion, resigned from the organization this past October citing a number of issues, including his compensation, the UFC’s inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko, and what he perceives to be a lack of respect from UFC executives. The 44-year-old Couture plans to wait until his fight contract (July) and promotional/broadcasting contract (October) expire so he can compete with other fight organizations.

However, the UFC contends that Couture will remain under contract to the organization until he fulfills the terms of his fight contract, most notably, fighting twice more in the UFC. Due to a retirement clause in Couture’s contract, the UFC contends that he can’t simply wait for the contract to expire.

The matter will go to court next month, which includes a preliminary hearing March 4 in Las Vegas.

But, on Wednesday, Cuban and the Texas-based HDNet Fights organization filed suit in district court in Dallas. While the UFC’s lawsuit centers on Couture’s employment contract and its one-year non-compete clause, Cuban wants clarification on the status of Couture under his promotional contract.

“The lawsuit filed by HDNet Fights asks the Texas court to provide the company with declaratory relief — a ruling on when Couture’s promotional contract will expire,” Swift reported for Sherdog.com. “A favorable ruling could clear the way for a highly anticipated showdown between Couture and Fedor Emelianenko this fall, potentially promoted by HDNet Fights.“

HDNet Fights launched in 2007 and has hosted two shows to date. However, using the all-high-definition cable station HDNet, the organization has signed deals to co-promote shows with some of the sport’s top fight promotions, including the International Fight League, Strikeforce, SportFight and the Canadian-based Maximum Fighting Championships.

Emelianenko is currently signed to a non-exclusive contract with M-1
Global.

* * * *​
Perhaps related to this story, in a press release issued today, HDNet promises “HUGE breaking news” during tonight’s episode of “Inside MMA,” which airs at 9:30 p.m. ET.

The one-hour program is hosted by Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten, and scheduled to appear as guests are Randy Couture, Kim Couture (his wife) and female MMA fighter and “American Gladiator” Gina Carano.

It's turning out to be an ugly battle. Even if Couture is let go, is he still going to be on top of his game?? What I'm saying is after all this mess is settled, are we going to see the same Randy Couture that recaptured the HW title or a burn-out guy that didn't fight for a while?? I think everyone is the world wants to see Couture vs. Fedor and the UFC is just being a jackass in not letting it happen.

They recently released Cro-Cop due to his stocks dropping, even though he signed a lucrative 6 fight, 2 year deal with the UFC. Since he lost his first 2 fights in the octagon, Dana White wanted to restructured his current contract, but Cro-Cop decided to leave the organization.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/02/13/mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-leaves-ufc-signs-with-new-organization/

They let Cro-Cop go, but they cannot let Randy walk away because he will sell tickets.......bottom line!!

It was in CC's contract if he had consecutive losses, then they would redo the the contract. Now if he would have gotten beat by Couture then turned arounf and lost to Minituro, they probably would not have redone the deal, but since he lost to who he did and how he lost, then $350,000 was a little steep.

Report: Randy Couture Signed Contract with HDNet Fights

Randy Couture has signed a contract with HDNet Fights that kicks into effect when his Zuffa LLC deal expires, and it could set up a fall fight with famed Russian heavyweight fighter Fedor Emelianenko, reports Adam Swift of Sherdog.com.

The fight would take place in Dallas, where the HDNet Fights organization is headquartered, if a deal with Emelianenko can be worked out.

On Friday, Swift reported that Mark Cuban, the owner of HDNet Fights, had filed suit against the UFC in Dallas district court to get a declaratory judgment concerning the contractual status of Couture.

The 44-year old Couture signed a four-fight, 18-month contract with the UFC in January 2007. In addition to the fight contract, Couture had previously signed an employment contract. He resigned from the organization in October 2007, and as part of the deal, he can’t work for a rival promotion for a full year from that date.

“The existence of an actual contract between HDNet Fights and Couture is believed to be key to the company’s action in Texas,” Swift reported. “Without it, it is unlikely that the court would find an actual controversy ripe for adjudication.“

Couture and HDNet Fights contend that the UFC hall-of-famer is free to compete outside the organization once that October date comes since his fight/promotional contract, they allege, expires in July. However, the UFC contends that the fight contract stays valid indefinitely under a special “retirement clause.“

In the court filing, HDNet Fights called the clause “illegal” and contends that such indefinite employment restrictions are illegal in Texas.
HDNet Fights launched in 2007 and has hosted two shows to date. However, using the all-high-definition cable station HDNet, the organization has signed deals to co-promote shows with some of the sport’s top fight promotions, including the International Fight League, Strikeforce, SportFight and the Canadian-based Maximum Fighting Championships.

Emelianenko is currently signed to a non-exclusive contract with M-1 Global.

AT LAST WE MAY FINALLY GET TO SEE COUTURE vs. FEDOR!!!!! :cheers:

wow interesting bit of info... there's really some deep shit happening here... here's to hoping that they resolve it soon..

and oh... fedor will destroy randy couture.

I will be in the HUGE monority, but I dont want to see the fight. Yep, I dont want to see it! Why? Outside of the whole turning down the UFC deal because Fedor would not agree to the injury clause in the contract, what is this fight for? Nothing! You can say to see who the best is, but that doesnt interest me as a fan. I compare this to Notre Dame in football. What are they playing for? A bowl game bid and that is all. Unless they are running the table for a NC game spot. Same with this fight and the cross promotion debate. I want to to see fighters fighting for belts, fighting to move up the charts in the league they are fighting in.

I will be in the HUGE monority, but I dont want to see the fight. Yep, I dont want to see it!.

You mean to tell me as an MMA fan, this fight would not interest you? I get what your saying, but I think this fight goes way beyond any belt....it's basically comes down to "Who is the best MMA fighter PERIOD". And although Fedor didn't sign with the UFC because of contract issues, I'm really glad he didn't DESPITE of how things are in the UFC. Seems like all the fighters are complaining about the money and competition.

I understand why Couture took a stand and resigned, but it would've been cool to see him fight Cro-Cop, Nog, Arlovski, etc. at his skill levels. But also as I'm in the general population, I want to see him fight Fedor.

Interest on a competition level, but nothing more. I would like to see who would win, but win what? For the UFC belt? I would love to see it. For the sake of fighting? Not interested.

Back