UFC 82: Silva vs. Henderson

mutosufan

Fiance made him quit gambling
I dont know how this slipped past me, but this fight will be awsome! I think Hendo takes it.

Henderson: I'll beat Silva up

DAN HENDERSON says he'll knock out middleweight champion Anderson Silva in the main event at UFC 82.

The mouthwatering bout pits the two ex-Pride superstars together in the UFC for the first time.

And President Dana White confirmed one of the most hotly anticipated clashes of 2008 is scheduled for March 1 next year.

Henderson will drop down from light heavyweight to fight the middleweight division's most dominant fighter, and claims he will give Silva a severe beating.

He said: "I see me beating Anderson Silva – I think I have the tools to beat him up.

"I want to leave the fight with the UFC Middleweight championship belt.

Following his September defeat to Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson at UFC 75, Henderson has taken the decision to move down a weight.

He added: "Dana wanted me to drop down to 185lbs so I'll have a few fights in that division but I think I'll eventually get back up to 205lbs."

UFC 82 is scheduled to take place in Columbus Ohio at the Nationwide Arena.

Last edited:
UFC 82 - Pride of a Champion

Date: March 1, 2008
Venue: Nationwide Arena
Broadcast: TBA

MAIN CARD
  • Champ Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson (for middleweight title)
  • Jon Fitch vs. Chris Wilson
  • Yushin Okami vs. Evan Tanner
  • Andrei Arlovski vs. Jake O’Brien
  • Heath Herring vs. Cheick Kongo
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • David Bielkheden vs. Diego Sanchez
  • Dustin Hazelett vs. Josh Koscheck
  • Chris Leben vs. Alessio Sakara
  • Luke Cummo vs. Luigi Fioravanti
  • Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson

Damn straight!!

I went to the UFC 82 website earlier this morning and it isnt finished yet.

I am stoked for this fight

The heavyweight fight between Andrei Arlovski (11-5 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Jake O’Brien (10-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) will not be aired live as part of the UFC 82’s pay-per-view broadcast, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned over the weekend.

UFC 82 takes place March 1 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva meets Dan Henderson in the night’s main event.

Arlovski, the UFC’s former heavyweight champion and arguably its biggest star during his reign as a title-holder, is currently on the last fight of his UFC contract, which expires April 15. Rather than sign an extension, he will finish out his contract and then shop the free agent market. Although they haven’t ruled out a return to the UFC, Arlovski and his management team could likely command big money from other organizations such as EliteXC, M-1 Global and HDNet Fights.

So, is his spot on the preliminary card punishment for Arlovski’s decision not to re-sign with the organization? Only the UFC knows for sure. However, keep in mind that Arlovski hasn’t been in an un-televised fight since UFC 40 — which was five years and nine fights ago.

UFC 82 contains a number of main-card-worthy fighters. In addition to Arlovski, “The Ultimate Fighter 1” stand-out Josh Koscheck will also be stuck on UFC 82’s un-televised preliminary card. Koscheck meets Ohio fighter Dustin Hazelett at the event. (With Arlovski and Koscheck relegated to the preliminary card, a fight between Diego Sanchez and David Bielkheden has been placed on the televised main card.)

The full card now includes:

MAIN CARD
  • Champ Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson (for middleweight title)
  • Heath Herring vs. Cheick Kongo
  • Yushin Okami vs. Evan Tanner
  • Jon Fitch vs. Chris Wilson
  • David Bielkheden vs. Diego Sanchez
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Andrei Arlovski vs. Jake O’Brien
  • Luke Cummo vs. Luigi Fioravanti
  • Dustin Hazelett vs. Josh Koscheck
  • Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson
  • Chris Leben vs. Alessio Sakara

The Anderson Silva Dan Henderson fight is going to be awesome. I haven't been so excited for a fight in a long time. Overall, the card is really interesting and its going to be fun to watch.
I hope they put the Arlovski fight on the main card because it definitely belongs there. Leben/Sakara gonna be fun to watch toe to toe all the way. Ill be interested to see how Tanner looks after the lay off. Id really prefer to see Fitch vs Koscheck but that cant happen because they train together. Overall, i think this is the best card UFCs put out in a while.

Here is a quote from that fucking Okami. I use to like him, but not any more.

“Minotauro was terrific. That sweep was artistic. I was amazed to see his mental strength and his submission techniques. I found a lot to learn from his fight. I was also surprised to see how quick Sylvia gave up and tapped out though. It seems the American style.”

Here is the fight schedule. I really wih the Kos/Hazlet fight would be shown over the Leben/Sakara match. I like Sakara, but this is jus going to be a tough man fight.

Main Event:
UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (20-4) vs. Dan Henderson (22-6)
Main card (televised):
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (11-3-1) vs. Heath Herring (27-13)
185 lbs.: Alessio Sakara (12-6) vs. Chris Leben (17-4)
185 lbs.: Evan Tanner (32-6) vs. Yushin Okami (21-4)
170 lbs.: Jon Fitch (15-2) vs. Chris Wilson (13-3)
Under card (may not be broadcast):
265 lbs.: Andrei Arlovski (11-5) vs. Jake O’Brien (10-0)
170 lbs.: Luke Cummo (6-4) vs. Luigi Fioravanti (11-3)
170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck (9-2) vs. Dustin Hazelett (10-3)
170 lbs.: Diego Sanchez (17-2) vs. David Bielkheden (12-5)
155 lbs.: Jorge Gurgel (11-3) vs. John Halverson (16-5)

I have tried to change the name in the title, but dont have the smarts. Any instructions would be appreciated.

great card, but I dont get why at 170 we get john Fitch (15-2) vs. Chris Wilson (13-3)

and not Koscheck or Sanchez...even Luke Cummo...

ah well I guess if we hope for a couple quick ones that may televise them...

Can't wait for a line on Herring / Congo! I think Herring is a chump, I want his fights in Pride and he so middle of the pack...Congo is on the rise.

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"><td colspan="5" class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> Ultimate Fighting Championships: Middleweights

</td> </tr> <tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td valign="top">Sat 3/1</td> <td colspan="4" class="Column_Headers_Odds">Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="5" class="contestDescription" align="center">Maximum Wager: 1437.74 CAD</td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="100">08:30 PM</td> <td>321 Anderson Silva</td> <td> -156</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio10" value="riskType" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio10" value="toWinType" checked="checked" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C1P0" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td> </td> <td>322 Dan Henderson</td> <td> +146</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio11" value="riskType" checked="checked" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio11" value="toWinType" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C1P1" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="5" class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> UFC 82 -Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH: Heavyweights

</td> </tr> <tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td valign="top">Sat 3/1</td> <td colspan="4" class="Column_Headers_Odds">Cheick Kongo vs Heath Herring</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="5" class="contestDescription" align="center">Maximum Wager: 1437.74 CAD</td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="100">07:45 PM</td> <td>501 Cheick Kongo</td> <td> -161</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio20" value="riskType" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio20" value="toWinType" checked="checked" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C2P0" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td> </td> <td>502 Heath Herring</td> <td> +151</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio21" value="riskType" checked="checked" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio21" value="toWinType" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C2P1" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="5" class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> UFC 82 -Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH: Middleweights

</td> </tr> <tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td valign="top">Sat 3/1</td> <td colspan="4" class="Column_Headers_Odds">Yushin Okami vs Evan Tanner</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="5" class="contestDescription" align="center">Maximum Wager: 1437.74 CAD</td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="100">07:30 PM</td> <td>503 Yushin Okami</td> <td> -206</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio30" value="riskType" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio30" value="toWinType" checked="checked" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C3P0" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td> </td> <td>504 Evan Tanner</td> <td> +186</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio31" value="riskType" checked="checked" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio31" value="toWinType" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C3P1" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="5" class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> UFC 82 -Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH: Welterweights

</td> </tr> <tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td valign="top">Sat 3/1</td> <td colspan="4" class="Column_Headers_Odds">Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazelett</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="5" class="contestDescription" align="center">Maximum Wager: 1437.74 CAD</td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="100">07:00 PM</td> <td>505 Josh Koscheck</td> <td> -411</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio40" value="riskType" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio40" value="toWinType" checked="checked" type="radio">To Win</td> <td width="77"><input name="C4P0" size="8" type="text"></td> </tr> <tr class="AlternatingData2"> <td> </td> <td>506 Dustin Hazelett</td> <td> +371</td> <td width="120"><input name="radio41" value="riskType" checked="checked" type="radio">Risk <input name="radio41" value="toWinType" type="radio">To Win</td></tr></tbody></table>

I guess Vegas has the same opinion on Herring/Kongo...good value on Tanner, have to find out how and who he's training with now...

Found this http://www.evantanner.net/archive_6

Some useless pics, but he's in shape and training with top level fighters (Burkman)...

If "Hendo" doesn't stop Silva, I don't think anyone can, as Dan might be the last person to go toe-to-toe OR on the ground with the Spider. Good value on Dan, I think he'll come out very prepared and determined. He already lost a close fight and lost the LHW title in his first UFC fight, so I think the focus is there not to leave it in the judges hands.

I would love to take Tanner, but he's been out of it for so long. But based on Okami's remarks "American Style", I hope Tanner KTFO him.

Too bad Arlovski isn't on the main card, I guess it's UFC's punishment for not re-signing with them when they made an offer. I don't blame him though, being that many fighters are under paid. Though his last fights were boring, I still think he is one of best HW fighters and very dangerous. He just needs to rekindle that fire he once had....

I agre with you Spooks. If Hndo doesnt take Silva out, no one is going to for a while. Talk is he wants to move up to LHW if he gets by Hendo. GREAT value on Hendo here. He has never been KO'ed and I dont see him being KO'ed here. If "Page and SIlva cant KO him, I dont think Silva will/can. I see this going late in the fight and Hendo getting the (T)KO in the 5th.

I also like Tanner here though he has been bellied up at the bar for 2 years now. Tanner is a different guy. I think he would be one of the very few to stop doing something for 2 years ten pick it up without a problem. His opponent is too impressive either in the aggression catagory. Something Tanner is.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Hollywood" Dan Henderson vs. Anderson "The Spider" Silva:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
hendo200x381.png
You really couldn't ask for a better, more competitive fight between the elite of the Middleweight Division. PRIDE Champion Dan Henderson (+120) will face off against UFC Champion Anderson Silva (-150
) to decide who the Undisputed King of the Middleweight Division is. They're both masters in the clinch, but they master in different worlds of the clinch. Dan Henderson has Olympic caliber Greco-Roman skills, so his takedowns and control inside of the Greco-Roman clinch are world class. Silva coming from a devastating Muay Thai background has a masterful Thai Clinch, which he often uses to unleash knees and elbows (see his fights with Rich Franklin). It'll be interesting to see who wins the battle inside the clinch, and who imposes their game on the other. This fight will decide who the top dog is in the Middleweight Division, and I personally believe whoever wins this fight will make a spot for themselves inside the Pound for Pound ranks.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll say it right now....Dan Henderson will win the fight. Anderson Silva has beaten everyone down that he has faced so far in the UFC. I'm at the point that I have a hard time picturing Silva lose because he really has looked so dominant. Dan will end Anderson's reign of dominance. Anderson hasn't faced someone as tough, gritty, and durable as Dan. He hasn't fought someone with his type of wrestling and clinch work, and he hasn't fought someone who will be right back in his face. When you really look at it, it's hard to say that he has faced someone who will really test him. Rich Franklin is a good fighter but Anderson was just better in pretty much every area. Rich considers himself a good striker, but that's an issue because Anderson Silva is probably the best striker in MMA. I don't think Anderson missed one strike he threw when he fought Leben. So how can someone like Rich possibly ever beat Anderson when he falls right into Anderson's game? The answer is...he can't. Styles make fights as they say, and that's just about the worst fight for Rich. The only person who really tried to take Anderson down and impose their game from the top position was Travis Lutter, and he found a good amount of success there. Travis went on to get submitted, but he was able to get dominant position on Anderson. I don't see anyone submitting Dan unless their first name is "Antonio" and their last name is "Nogueira". I don't want to take anything away from Anderson, but I think the fights that have been given to him in the UFC so far have been somewhat favorable to him stylistically. I don't see Dan Henderson being favorable to Anderson Silva at all. It's actually probably the worst match-up that Anderson can get right now.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've always said that if Dan Henderson fights his fight he would be very hard to beat. What I mean by this is that if Dan uses his wrestling a bit more when he should use it, he should win. Dan can't go out and attempt to strike with Anderson like he did with Misaki. If Dan does decide to strike and stand with Anderson, he will lose for sure. Dan's striking has gotten a lot better and he has power in both his hands, especially his right, but Anderson is just too technical, slick, and smooth of a striker to mess around with. Anderson isn't like Wanderlei who will go out there and trade hooks until someone lands, he picks his shots. Banking on landing the big right hand would be a very bad idea for Dan. Dan needs to fight like when he fought Vitor Belfort in PRIDE. Takedowns, takedowns, and more takedowns as he punches the guy in the face on the ground. Dan needs to wrestle, he needs to control where the fight goes. Dan was doing this against Rampage and was doing pretty damn good I thought, but the size difference between him and Rampage is what made the difference. That won't be a factor against Anderson because Dan is the bigger and stronger fighter. Dan will make Anderson question what kind of strikes he wants to throw as Dan gets more and more takedowns. Dan's takedowns will begin to throw off Anderson's whole game as the fight goes on. Anderson will become very tentative when he realizes he can't stop the takedown, and Dan will just keep stringing more and more takedowns together. The difference in this fight is that Dan gets to decide where they fight and what kind of fight it will be.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I don't see this fight being stopped inside the five rounds it's being fought in. They are both just too tough and too durable. Neither guy has been stopped by strikes and they've both been hit with good shots. I think Dan has probably been hit with the bigger shots so he's a bit more proven, but I don't see Anderson letting Dan land his big punches. Anderson is too smart of a striker to get caught with Dan's well known right hand. I would be VERY surprised to see Anderson finish Dan. If Anderson finishes Dan I won't hesitate to call him the greatest fighter alive right now. I don't see that happening though. Dan will control the fight and get takedowns all night, and he will just pound on Anderson as he attempts to gain dominant position. I see Dan doing most of his punishment from Anderson's guard because Anderson is pretty good at maintaining the guard, but that will be Anderson's best position all night. Anderson will have his moments where he lands some nice strikes, but they won't be enough to stop Dan's attack. Dan missed an opportunity to be a Unified World Champion at Light Heavyweight, but he won't miss it at Middleweight.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Henderson Wins by Unanimous Decision.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Texas Crazy Horse" Heath Herring vs. Cheick Kongo:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here we have two big heavyweights, and they like to strike too. Kongo is probably the crisper striker, but I believe he lacks power in his hands. He landed many shots on Assuerio Silva but never had him hurt. Herring isn't as technical as Kongo, but as Herring has pointed out many times, he has had a knockdown in all his fights. Herring, I think, is the harder hitter for sure, but he lacks Kongo's technique. We all saw what Herring did to the iron-chinned Nogueira. Herring (+145) likes throwing his big flamboyant kicks, and when they land they can hurt someone. I do believe Herring has the ability to stand and possibly hold his own with Kongo (-175), but doing that wouldn't make much sense. Herring has a very clear advantage when it comes to wrestling, submissions, and the overall ground game. Kongo is a big guy that gets thrown around like a child. That will be the difference in the fight.[/FONT]
46469.jpg
Herring will win the fight by being the better all around fighter. Kongo has made comments recently about past opponents that makes me think he might be a little too confident. Kongo is riding high off his Cro Cop win, but he should remember the past, when he was taken down again and again by Carmelo Marrero, who fights at 205 now. I don't see Kongo making enough improvement in his takedown defense to stop Herring if he goes for the takedown. Herring isn't the most amazing wrestler, but he is a strong 250 pound guy who likely can get Kongo to the ground. I know Kongo is training with Rampage and his team now, but he seems so awkward whenever someone tries to take him down or whenever someone puts him on his back that I just can't see him making the improvement in the amount of time given. Kongo's main threat to Herring is his striking, but I don't think he hits nearly hard enough to finish Herring. Herring has been in there with harder hitters and has been able to hold his own. If Herring doesn't like how the stand up is going he just has to go for the takedown, and he will get it.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If Herring fights smart, he will win. Bottom line. As I've mentioned, i do believe Herring can stand with Kongo, but why? If Herring comes in with the gameplan to take the fight down to the mat he will win easily. Herring knows enough about submissions to threaten Kongo with them and possibly finish Kongo with a submission. If Herring can't find the submission, he'll either beat Kongo until the ref stops it or he'll ride out a decision. Herring will do what he has to do by putting Kongo on the mat, and he'll hurt him from there, but not enough to stop the fight. I could see this turning into a somewhat boring fight if Herring can't finish on the ground, but I can also see this fight being exciting depending on how they fight. Kongo is used to being the bully, but this time herring will be the one playing that role. Kongo won't be able to bully Herring and lean him onto the cage like he did against Cro Cop. Kongo used his physical advantages in that fight, but Herring is the bigger guy this time so that won't happen with Herring. This one will go to decision with Herring winning every round.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Herring Wins by Unanimous Decision.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris "The Crippler" Leben vs. Alessio "Legionarius" Sakara:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My personal prediction for fight of the night is right here. Two strikers who like to go out there and exchange shots. Technique edge goes to Sakara (+135), he has real boxing skills. I do think his striking has been somewhat overrated because everyone wants to mention how he used to be a good boxer, but he hasn't really shown it. Maybe Sakara has the boxing skills, but we really haven't seen it yet. Leben is a bit more of a sloppy striker, but he looked much improved in his last fight. We saw Leben (-165) moving a lot more instead of going straight in and depending on his chin, and he still has crazy power. We know Leben can definitely take some good shots and give them, just ask Terry Martin. This will definitely be an exciting striking war though.[/FONT]
leben232x248.png
I'm going with Leben because I personally think Sakara has been way overrated. Sakara has lost key fights but has always been given more chances. I don't hold his loss against Dean Lister against him because Lister is a submission wizard, but I can't say the same for other fights. Drew McFedries was the perfect fight for Sakara, but he failed to show his skills. Drew took the fight on short notice, and as soon as the fight started you saw he intended to stand with Sakara. McFedries is obviously a good striker with a lot of power, but Sakara is supposed to be an amazing boxer and he ended up losing at his own game. Than we have Houston Alexander who was another striker that was matched up with Sakara. Houston was favored and definitely showed to have power, but again where was Sakara's top level striking? I don't want it to seem like i'm bashing the guy, I actually picked him to beat Houston but he couldn't deliver in a fight that favored him. Maybe his move to the Middleweight division will help him, and maybe training at American Top Team will help in the future, but not now. I don't think his skills will be that improved by fight time. Beating James Lee, and the way it happened, didn't impress me enough to be sold on Sakara. Leben should be another fight that favors Sakara stylistically, but it won't end that way.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leben showed a lot more skills in his fight against Terry Martin. Much more movement, more kicking, better punching...just an overall better game. Leben even had some nice submission attempts in that fight and showed that his skills as a Mixed Martial Artist are evolving. I think Leben has Sakara outmatched in every area except for boxing technique. Leben has shown better submission skills in MMA, better wrestling, and he has shown the ability to knock people out. If Leben wanted to fight the safe fight he could probably take Sakara down and win on points, but I don't see Leben doing that. I see it being very similar to Sakara's fight with McFedries. They'll stand and trade, Sakara will land some shots, Leben will still be standing, and then Leben will catch Sakara. That's also somewhat similar to the third round of Leben's fight with Terry Martin. They'll trade, but Leben's chin and punching power will prevail in the end. Sakara will have a good first round, but he will find himself getting knocked out in the second.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leben Wins by Second Round KO.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Evan Tanner vs. Yushin Okami:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This should be a real good chess match. Both guys are good technical fighters. Both guys have good submissions and ground control. Both guys have decent striking, while Tanner has a really good clinch.
39504.jpg
Okami (-220) is one of the bigger and stronger guys of the division, ask Mike Swick and many of his other opponents about Okami's strength. In most cases I think I'd pick Tanner to win. I just can't see him losing this type of fight for some reason. I feel like Tanner's probably the better striker, and probably the better submission guy, and his wrestling isn't so bad either. I can't pick him to win this time though. Over a year of no real training, a lot of drinking, and not exactly eating healthy makes it hard for me to pick Tanner (
+170) to beat Okami at this point time. Also the fact that Tanner's home gym seems to be a striking only gym, while he's fighting a grappler worries me a bit. I think Tanner has an edge in skills, but I think a Tanner that's been active would also have problems with Okami. Okami is just so strong and he can impose his game on anyone, he's a tough fight for a lot of people stylistically. Adding Tanner's inactivity, and what he did during that time of inactivity makes me have to pick Okami. Having to come back from a layoff and fight Okami is one of the worst scenarios I think. I like Tanner and would like to see him pull it off, but a win won't be happening for Tanner at UFC 82. Okami will be able to take Tanner down and have his way with him until the fifteen minutes are over with. Tanner will last, but he won't win.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Okami Wins by Unanimous Decision.[/FONT]

When are you guys planning on posting up picks? I don't wanna post up if you guys are still capping the fights w/ current odds.

Throw them up. I dont get CTG at work anymore or mine would be up. I have little time when I come home. LOL but I had plenty of time at work to cruise the internet. Sucks that I cant get on here anymore.

Anderson Silva vs. Hendo

Silva has quickly established himself as an elite fighter since coming into the UFC in the summer of 2006. He hasn't "lost" a fight in about 3 years. His devastating blend of pinpoint striking, vicious clinch work and slick Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has overwhelmed some of the division's best including Rich Franklin (then best all arounder) and Nate Marquardt (best GnP in the MW class). As for Henderson, he's a former Olympic wrestler with a SICK right hand, and could expose Silva's wrestling weakness, by taking him down and keeping him there. When you break down this fight though, you've gotta understand that this is Hendo at 185 fighting and not the guy that fights at 205. He's actually slower and more sluggish at this weight- I know, it doesn't make sense. If you look at his last 3 fights at MW, you will see that he eeked out a win against Busta and put on two poor performances against Kazou (did I mention that he was out pointed in his second fight with Kazou?). I love Hendo, but this night will play out with Silva controlling Hendo with his body triangle should it go to the ground or if it stays standing, you'll see Hendo feast on a flurry of elbows, knees, and fists.
---Silva by TKO in round 2.

Cheick Kongo vs. Heath Herring

Herring has a wealth of experience and almost beat current champion "Minotauro" Nogueira in his last fight. Kongo is coming off a surprise win over Cro Cop. He's also one of the few "strikers" that make striking look boring. Granted, he has won 4 out of his last 5 fights in the UFC and could make Herring his next victim. Herring is well rounded fighter, who's equally adept on his feet and on the ground. If Herring goes after Kongo's lack of ground game and avoids the groin shots, he should have a big advantage.
---Herring by decision.

Alessio Sakara vs. Chris Leben

Look, I hate Leben and he's had an up and down career, but comes into this fight fresh off a dramatic comeback knockout win. Sakara too has had an up and down career, but his move to middleweight (from light heavyweight) could be beneficial. Sure Sakara looks mean and neither fighter is particularly great at any one area.. but I believe Leben's knockout power will make the difference.
---Leben by knockout in round 2.

Evan Tanner vs. Yushin Okami

Tanner is a former champion who's been out of action for nearly two years, battling alcohol and personal problems. Okami is fresh off a win over Jason Macdonald and a close loss to former champion Rich Franklin. This is an interesting matchup because both fighters are strong, well rounded and have experience against top notch competition. Okami has the advantage of having more recent experience, but I believe Tanner's superior submission skills could make the difference in this fight (if he can shake off the rust).
---Tanner by submission in round 3.

Chris Wilson vs. Jon Fitch

At first glance, this appears to be one one of the most lopsided matchups in the welterweight division. Fitch is undefeated in the UFC and riding a very impressive 14 fight win streak. Wilson has spent most of his career in smaller organizations, but has plenty of experience and trains at one of the best gyms in America (Team Quest, Oregon). Fitch is a heavy favorite (deservedly so), but Wilson's striking ability and experience with dealing with strong wrestlers at his gym, could make an interesting matchup. Fitch may also be looking past Wilson, eyeing a potential title shot. Nonetheless, I think Fitch's outstanding combination of wrestling, striking and submissions will be too much for Wilson to handle in his first bout in the UFC.
---Fitch by whatever he wants in round 1.

Jake O'Brien vs. Andrei Arlovski

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping a few fights end early and allow this bout to be aired (This is one of the swing bouts that may not be broadcast due to time constraints). This is an especially important fight for the former champion Arlovski. While he has won his last two fights, he he's looked more like an aging lapdog than a "Pitbull" (his nickname). On top of that, this is his last fight in his current contract and could very well be his final go round in the UFC. He'll have his hands full against the undefeated O'Brien, who is one of the better wrestlers in the heavyweight division. I believe the importance of this fight isn't lost on Arlovski and he'll come out with the same type of aggression that made him a star. Hopefully, an impressive knockout win over O'Brien will force the UFC to resign him and catapult him back atop the division.
---Arlovski by KO in round 1.

I also like Kosh, Sanchez, and Cummo.

Last edited:
What are the current odds?

This UFC is going to be great...I really wish they show Arlovski's fight though...

This fight could solidify Silva as the best in the game P4P. Regardless of a T(KO) or a split decision, if he beats Hendo, put him on top of GSP as the badest man walking. Silva has an uncanny ability to throw combinations in bunchs and land them. This is what did Franklin in. He took some big punches, but it was the combos where 3-4-5 landed and then add in the kicks, and he was done. So to avoid this, get into a clinch, right? This is a nasy place for someone to be also. A testament to Franklins nose here.
Hendo is a wrestler that has iron in his chin. Never been T(KO) in his career and only submitted by a Nogeira (sp?). He brings heavy hands, great cardio, and an ability to take punishement and keep going.
The biggest treat to Hendo in this fight is going to be getting inside. If he can get past the reach then he should be fine. Once in the clinch, Hendo should be able to dish out some punishment and contol Silva. Yes Silva's clinch is nasty, but so is Hendos. And they are 2 differnt clinches. Silva's, he must have distance to strike with his knees and elbows. Hendos, he stays close and dirty boxes you. If you shift weight, pop. Shift the other way, pop. He gets his throws from here too that will et him be in even better position, on top of him. If a dilapidated Travis Lutter can land some shots on Silva and stun him, Hendo can. And Hendo wont get submitted!
I could see this ending with one shot, but I dont think it will. My prediction is Silva will be the winner of the 1st 2 rounds, pretty decisively and the tide will turn in the 3rd and Hendo will really take over in the 4th and 5th. T(KO) in the 5th or a decsion for Hendo.

Prediction: Hendo by T(KO) 5th round

The title fight is the only one I am wagering. The value isnt there on too many other. And some I like have question marks.

I may put a little on Hazelett to beat Kos. Pretty big price for Hazelett. Probably something small. Haz by sub.

Alessio Sakara (12-6) vs. Chris Leben (17-4)

I think Leben wins, but I am not putting my money on his ass. Was he training or boozing? Leben by T(KO)

Evan Tanner (32-6) vs. Yushin Okami (21-4)

Tanner again, a recovering alcoholic, was he training or boozing or talking about outerspace? Even though he has been away for a while, he is the type to jump back in a not miss a beat. Tanner by UD

The others, Fitch can name his way he wants to win. Arlovski by brutal KO 4 seconds into the fight.

Going to be a good night!

Frank Trigg’s Fight Breakdown: Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson, Part I

Posted by Frank Trigg on February 23, 2008 at 10:08 pm ET
By Frank Trigg/MMAjunkie.com
With UFC 82 fast approaching us, we need to get in and break down the main event.
I know there are a bunch of fights to cover that would be great to analyze, but I have little time, and I don’t want to owe any of you the 20 minutes it will take you to ask your girlfriend or boyfriend to read this to you. Hopefully the words I use will be small enough for me to spell correctly.
UFC 82 is a great card, and with the Arnold Sports Festival simultaneously taking place, the Columbus card is worth the trip every year — even if it’s cold as a penguins in Ohio this time of the year.
In my best Bruce Buffer impression: “It’s time to begin the main event of the evening. The fighter standing to my right is a two-time Olympic wrestler, former PRIDE welterweight grand-prix winner, former middleweight and welterweight PRIDE champion, he stands 6-foot-0, and he weighs in at 184 pounds. He holds a record of 22 wins and 6 loses. DAAANNNNNN HENNNDERSONNNNNN!
(I joke; Dan could weight in at 185 for all I know.)
What has Henderson done? Well, what hasn’t he done? He’s a two-time Olympic wrestler, the 2005 PRIDE Grand Prix winner, and the one and only guy to hold both the welterweight (185) and the middleweight (205) belts at the same time in PRIDE. He should be at the top of the heap at 185, and in my mind, only gets out-ranked by Matt Lindland. And after March 1, we’ll know if he gets out-ranked by Anderson Silva. He KTFO’d Wanderlei Silva and took “Rampage” Jackson to a five-round decision — something not even the great Chuck Liddell could do. He is vicious and single-minded with his big overhand right. His cardio has always been lacking at 205, but it showed great improvement when he fought Rampage. His submission game is under-developed for such a great champ, but his defense to submissions is incredible.
However, Henderson’s best feature can and might be his biggest weakness: he is such a gifted athlete with incredible strength that he tends not to train hard for his fights. He seems to do better when he is not cutting weight, and he sometimes brings his game up to only as tough as his opponent will be on that night. He will wait for his opportunity and strike with such a force that it will dislocate your eyebrows, but for a long time, he seemed only able to win fights by long, drawn-out decisions.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- e9 = new Object(); e9.size = "300x250"; e9.noAd = 1;//--></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT src="http://tags.expo9.exponential.com/tags/mmajunkiecom/ROS/tags.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><CENTER><SCRIPT src="http://a.tribalfusion.com/j.ad?site=mmajunkiecom&adSpace=ros&size=300x250&p=6007238&a=4&flashVer=9&ver=1.14&center=1&noAd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmmajunkie.com%2F2008%2F02%2F23%2Ffrank-trigg%25e2%2580%2599s-fight-breakdown-anderson-silva-vs-dan-henderson-part-i&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmmajunkie.com%2F&rnd=6004754" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT></CENTER><IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://mmajunkie.com/files/Burst-300x250.html" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME>
Gorgeous George, my co-host at TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), and I were talking about this fight, and the gorgeous one has this to say about Henderson: “He’s fought some great top fighters, including the UFC’s current 205-lb. champ (Jackson) and knocked out the previous 205-lb. PRIDE champ (Silva), but the big question is whether that translates to him having a favorable match up at 185. He just doesn’t seem as active at 185, and that is one of the great mysteries of MMA.“
What the hell is he talking about?! If a guy drops from 205 to 185, he should be stronger, faster and way more active at a lower weight. Do I believe that? Absolutely! Period! Well, except when it has to deal with Henderson. He is slower and sluggish at 185. He does seem to move a little less and have a lot — a lot – more patience. So much patience, in fact, that it seems that he will wait for the bell instead of attacking his opponent. With a long-reaching UFC 82 opponent such as Silva, Henderson must bob and weave his head at all times. He must attack to the clinch. He needs to get inside of Silva’s stand-up to be able to control this fight. If this goes to the ground, it won’t mean a thing being in Silva’s full guard because the Brazilian is so long and active. If Henderson doesn’t establish the ground and pound early and often, Silva will be the one giving punishment instead to receiving it.
Inside the cage, Henderson is the most focused; outside the cage, he’s a very humble and quite dedicated father. Henderson is a fan favorite, but none of that keeps you from getting your nose put on the side of your head during a clinch.
Henderson has one of the best training camps a fighter could put together. With Judo Terry and Jason Miller in his camp (just to name a few of the guys in his training sessions), he will have seen Silva’s type of explosiveness and his submission game. However, seeing it and being able to use it against him on the night of March 1 are very different things.
Henderson has all of the tools. Will he bring them? Which ones will he use? For Henderson — in my opinion — it all comes down to his great overhand right and quick, explosive takedowns. He’ll need to establish the ground and pound, and get out before he even has to test his cardio. Make this a street fight; Silva doesn’t like it when somebody brings the fight to him. Grind him up against the cage, keep elbows in his face, and stay in sidemount when on the ground.
Is all of this enough to win the title?
We’ll find out next week when I give a breakdown of Silva and explain how I think the fight will play out.

Frank Trigg’s Fight Breakdown: Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson, Part II

<!-- Print the time the article was posted --><!-- EMF updated style to include date + time -->Posted by Frank Trigg on February 28, 2008 at 7:11 pm ET
<!-- The article content -->By Frank Trigg/MMAjunkie.com
I hope it’s been another good week for you all. Thanks for all the comments over the past couple of articles, including Part 1 of this series.
Here is the disclaimer: these are the sole written opinion(s) of Frank Trigg and not of MMAjunkie.com or its other writers. These words were developed and put to paper by me and transcribed by Dustin Tooker. These ideas come from 11 years as a pro MMA fighter, eight of which I’ve been ranked in the top 10. Please yell at me, Frank Trigg, if you have a grievance and not MMAjunkie.com.
I had to beg Dann (“The Junkie”) and get him drunk on several occasions to get him to finally say yes to this job as a columnist. Now, like a bad boomerang, I keep hitting him in the back of the head when he tries to throw me away.
With that said, let’s move on to Silva vs. Henderson, Part II.
Bruce Buffer again: “In this corner, standing 6-foot-2, weighing in at 185 lbs., he has a record of 20-4. He has a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and is a Muay Thai specialist. He is the current Cage Rage world middleweight champion and former Shooto middleweight champion. He is undisputed middleweight champion of the UFC, ANNNDRESONNN DA SPIDER SILLLLLLVAAA!“
(I love the way he introduces a fight. Still, one of my best memories as a fighter is having Buffer call my name like that.)
Anderson has dismantled Rich Franklin not once but twice. For those of you that have not seen it, watch it. By far, it’s worth the UFC on Demand price. Silva has also KO’d Chris Leben and submitted Travis Lutter with strikes and a triangle choke while in the UFC. He was generation 2 coming out of Chute Boxe in Curitiba, Brazil, where he was born. (Wanderlei Silvia is generation 7, and the Rua brothers are generation 9 — just to give you a reference.) He started and trains with the Muay Thai Dream team.
Silva has beaten the likes of Mach Sakuari, Alex Steibling, Luiz Azerado and Carlos Newton while all were in the best years of their careers. He had two very weird losses (at least in my mind). One was to Yushin Okami by disqualification. Silva was on his back and up-kicked his opponent in the head, but Okami was on his knees at the time. He also suffered a submission loss via rare heel hook to Ryo Chonan in his PRIDE days.
I wanted to give you guys an unbiased opinion of Silva, so I asked my friend Steve Cofield of ESPN Radio Las Vegas/FOXSports.com if I could use this. Cofield and I disagree on everything, and I spend a lot of time on his show. He is usually wrong. (Because I said so; that’s why.)
The term well-rounded is thrown around way too loosely in the world of MMA. And often misapplied.
Anderson Silva isn’t given enough credit for the completeness of his game. Silva’s stand-up is amazing because he can kill you from inside and out. He’s very tall for 185. You can’t try to beat him from the outside because his kicks are so dangerous and he throws most of them with huge power.
So cut down the distance and get inside, right? That’s generally a mistake. His hands are great. Silva is about as close to a pro boxer as you’ll find in MMA with the speed and tightness of his hands. He throws vicious elbows. Tony Fryklund was knocked out by one. But his best weapon inside is the Thai clinch followed by the knees; ask Rich Franklin how it felt. Silva looks weak, but he can toss around 185 (lb.) fighters like rag dolls. Dan Henderson is one of the strongest guys you’ll find in the weight class. We’ll see if Silva can execute with as much power versus Henderson.
MMA fighters with a wrestling background will tell you that Silva is easy to take down. That may be the case, but you can’t do it and then lay and pray. Silva’s guard is very active, and we saw that he can pull out a submission when the opening presents itself like he did against Travis Lutter. Yushin Okami got Silva down but was outpaced once down there.
Nice, wasn’t it? Hearing from a true professional writer — an old boxing fan that has seen the light of MMA. Cofield still loves boxing for the sport it is, but he loves MMA just the same.
This is what I see. Out with the unbiased; in with the very biased.
Anderson has no takedown defense, but who needs it when you can box like he can? For some reason everybody stays away from his clinch but stays in his punching range. Elbows? True, he KO’s people from the weirdest angles with them damn things. He is the only reason to have elbows in an MMA fight. His don’t cut; they maim.
However, Silva has never been attacked in the manner Henderson attacks — tight, inside, in-your-face, dirty-boxing style — which makes it hard to throw elbows.
Some say, “Stay away from his dirty boxing.” Are you nuts?! Get inside his dirty boxing, especially if you competed as a two-time Olympian in Greco Roman wrestling! If you stay away from Silva’s inside, you will get kicked to the fifth row with your jock still in the ring. If you get inside his kicks but remain in punching range, you will be kneed till your nose is on your back and punched till you see your ancestors. On the ground Silva’s guard is so active it makes B.J. Penn look slow.
A true Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt with length and flexibility is dangerous when you’re focused on submission wrestling. But make it an MMA fight, and you’ve got problems once you get him to the ground. If Silva can keep Henderson in his guard, it will be an experience to see who has better game: Henderson’s ground and pound, or Silva’s active guard? Which is better on that night? Which one can push tier style will be the real question.
Silva has never been attacked on his feet with a haymaker like Henderson’s, but it is easy to see and defend. The motion on the feet is Silva’s true best skill, and he will use it the whole time trying to get Henderson to play catch-up. If Henderson chases, a TKO might be in his future.
Long and lean, quick and agile. That’s Silva.
Is all of this enough to keep the title?

Frank Trigg's pick:

The fight as I see it?
Henderson is whom I pick. Third round or so is when it will end.
When fighting as a 185-pounder, Henderson attacks the whole time early in the rounds and then lies back late looking for the big finish. Silva will not be able to defend it. The pure grind of an Olympic wrestler is something that most people haven’t seen yet and won’t be able to identify when they do because it looks like a real fight. Henderson will be smarter and in better shape for this fight than he was against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in September.
Henderson has never been KO’d, but he has never been hit by elbows like Silva’s. However, it won’t make much of a difference when Henderson’s overhand right connects. It won’t KO Silva, but it will put him on queer street.
The ground? I know, I know. The Spider’s guard, you say. It’s great like I said, but Henderson tends to pass and stays in sidemount. Silva has trouble getting out of side control when he is getting hit in the face. The strongest in terms of just pure physical strength at 185 lbs. is Henderson, and he has been in way more big matches than Silva if you include the Olympics and the NCAA tourneys appearances.
You put this total package of Silva against the strength and experience of Henderson; you put the granite chin against the great guard.
Henderson wins the wrestling. Anderson wins the striking.
Henderson wins the guard pass. Silva wins the guard.
Motion of feet is won by Silva. Harder head is won by Henderson.
Silva wins cardio if the past is correct. Henderson is a bigger bully.
I still got Henderson.

MY OPINION.........

MY PIX IN RED

Main Event:

Main card (televised):
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (11-3-1) vs. Heath Herring (27-13)--SHOULD NOT BE TELEVISED
185 lbs.: Alessio Sakara (12-6) vs. Chris Leben (17-4)
185 lbs.: Evan Tanner (32-6) vs. Yushin Okami (21-4)
170 lbs.: Jon Fitch (15-2) vs. Chris Wilson (13-3)--SHOULD NOT BE TELEVISED

Under card (may not be broadcast):
265 lbs.: Andrei Arlovski (11-5) vs. Jake O’Brien (10-0)--SHOULD BE TELEVISED
170 lbs.: Luke Cummo (6-4) vs. Luigi Fioravanti (11-3)
170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck (9-2) vs. Dustin Hazelett (10-3)--SHOULD BE TELEVISED
170 lbs.: Diego Sanchez (17-2) vs. David Bielkheden (12-5)--SHOULD BE TELEVISED
155 lbs.: Jorge Gurgel (11-3) vs. John Halverson (16-5)

Cheick Kongo (11-3-1) vs. Heath Herring (27-13)--SHOULD NOT BE TELEVISED

I agree, but they are trying to promote Kongo as a contender.

Jon Fitch (15-2) vs. Chris Wilson (13-3)--SHOULD NOT BE TELEVISED

I disagree. All of Fitch's fight should be seen. He is a stud! Too bad it is against weak competition.

Andrei Arlovski (11-5) vs. Jake O’Brien (10-0)--SHOULD BE TELEVISED

Agree 100%. This is just in case Arlovski throws up another shit burger and they dont resign him.

Josh Koscheck (9-2) vs. Dustin Hazelett (10-3)--SHOULD BE TELEVISED

Yep. But I think Hazelett pulls out a sub from the guard!!

Diego Sanchez (17-2) vs. David Bielkheden (12-5)--SHOULD BE TELEVISED

Probably should be, but I cant say I am upset because I cant stand Diego.

The schedule is like that b/c the people that are fighting are title contenders... HW (Kongo), MW (Tanner- who else is in the MW division???), and WW (Fitch). Would love to see the pitbull though.

Whereas the undercard has people that have recently lost. Most people like to see Kosh/Sanchez b/c they are TUF noobs but that's another story :]

i won't be wagering on any of the fights. here are my picks though.

Silva/Henderson

Kongo/Herring
Sakara/
Leben
Tanner/Okami
Fitch/
Wilson

Arlovski/O’Brien
Cummo/
Fioravanti
Koscheck/Hazelett
Sanchez
/Bielkheden

Gurgel/
Halverson

UFC 82
Jorge Gurgel -162 to win 4 units
I dont think Halverson belongs in the UFC. Though Gurgel is subpar, I think he has enough to win this fight. Gurgel by first round sub.

Okami -200 to win 3 Units
I believe Okami is at the top of his game and its tough to say where Tanner is. Even if Tanner is at the top of his game I still think Okami is better. Okami by 2nd round TKO

Koscheck -400 to win 1 Unit
Koscheck is too strong for Hazelett, he'll take him to the ground at will and Hazelett isn't strong enough to submit him. Koscheck by first round TKO.

Back