UFC 79

mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Date: Dec. 29, 2007
Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center
Broadcast: Pay-Per-View
  • Champion Matt Serra vs. Matt Hughes (for welterweight title)
  • Cheick Kongo vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  • Wanderlei Silva vs. TBA
  • Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev
i know this won't be for awhile but the full card is starting to come together. i just saw that Kongo vs. Nogueira fight has been made official which is why i figured we should start this thread....

(http://mmajunkie.com/2007/10/01/report-cheick-kongo-vs-antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-at-ufc-79/)

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1076.html

JOHN HACKLEMAN: "LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE GOING TO DO THE WANDERLEI FIGHT IN DECEMBER!"

By Percy Crawford | October 09, 2007

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" align=middle>
johnhackleman.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=middle><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-5760983031759707";google_ad_width = 200;google_ad_height = 200;google_ad_format = "200x200_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-07-10: AdDisplayContentgoogle_ad_channel = "5719607981";google_color_border = "000000";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "990000";google_color_text = "000000";google_color_url = "990000";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-5760983031759707&dt=1191958830922&lmt=1191958830&prev_fmts=200x200_as&format=200x200_as&output=html&correlator=1191958830907&channel=5719607981&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fighthype.com%2Fpages%2Fcontent1076.html&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=000000&color_link=990000&color_url=990000&color_border=000000&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmaplayground.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic10720-1.html&cc=99&ga_vid=786814057.1191958831&ga_sid=1191958831&ga_hid=539980888&flash=9&u_h=864&u_w=1152&u_ah=834&u_aw=1152&u_cd=32&u_tz=-240&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=200 scrolling=no height=200 allowTransparency></IFRAME></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>FightHype.com recently caught up with "Pit Boss" John Hackleman and you don't want to miss what he had to say about Liddell's upset loss to Keith Jardine as well as Chuck's future plans as they look forward to facing Wanderlei Silva in December. Plus, Hackelman share's his thoughts on Forrest Griffin's win over Shogun Rua and much more. Check it out!

PC: How has everything been going with you?

JH: Good. Very good. You know we weren't happy with the last fight, but I mean, you can't really bitch that much about it. His timing was just a little bit off. Other than that, it was just two guys that fought their ass off. It wasn't that he did a bad job. He lost a close fight.

PC: You've been around Chuck for a long time. At what point did you realize that it wasn't going to be his night?

JH: I just think he kept missing by a split hair. His timing was just off. His game was just off and I just kept thinking he was going to connect all the way to the end. When he came back to the corner, his conditioning was really good. Nobody that wasn't in top shape could've fought that fight. It was a war and he lost a close fight. I kept thinking he was going to get through and catch him, but it didn't work out that way.

PC: How is he doing mentally after two losses back to back?

JH: He's OK physically and mentally he's disappointed, but he knows he lost a close fight. He wasn't beating himself up over it. He just knows that he lost a close fight and better luck next time.

PC: How long do you give Chuck after a fight like that to not even mention the fight to him and...

JH: A week and then he has to be back in the gym to start doing other stuff. There are a couple of points we made on this fight, but it's hard to come down on him. He made a couple of little minor mistakes technically. Other than that, his timing was a little off and that's why he lost the fight more than anything is that his timing was a little off. Jardine's timing was right on.

PC: Some people still feel Chuck took this fight lightly. Can you clear that up?

JH: We're not stupid. Anybody that takes Keith Jardine lightly is stupid and we definitely didn't. If you take Keith Jardine lightly, you're just a complete moron. We didn't take him lightly. We knew it was going to be a tough fight. Chuck probably has a little more skill and he probably could've won, but on that night, he didn't. He caught him and caught him, but he just couldn't land right on the button. His timing was a split second off and Jardine's was on and that was the difference. You can't take anything away from Jardine. If he lost, he probably would say the same thing, but it just didn't work out our way.

PC: I know you guys were eyeballing a fight with Shogun, but his knee surgery will prevent that fight from happening. Will you still like to get the Wanderlei fight?

JH: Looks like the Wanderlei fight is going to happen.

PC: Ok, is it still going to be in December?

JH: December, yeah!

PC: How are Chuck's ribs doing? He took a lot of body kicks.

JH: They were up high on his left side and I'm sure they stung, but it wasn't like a solid knee or anything. They just bruise a little bit and then they go away. He's already back sparring.

PC: Were you surprised that Shogun was tapped out by Forrest Griffin?

JH: Yeah, pretty much. I didn't know which way to go. I definitely didn't think it would be one-sided like a lot of people. Any given fight, you never know what's going to happen and as you saw with Shogun, you could be in top shape and gas. Every night is different. You have those nights in the gym all of the time. You just hope not to have one of those nights in the actual fight and unfortunately, Shogun had one of those nights.

PC: Why do you think the Pride guys are having so much trouble in the UFC?

JH: I don't think they're having that much trouble. Rampage and Anderson are doing fine. I think a lot of people thought they would just come over here and take over and I don't think they were overrated, but they were fighting in Japan and was held kind of higher up than these guys. I knew they wouldn't come over and take over the UFC. When you're fighting in Japan and not in the US, people don't get to see your fights as much and they start building up this aura of invincibility.

PC: A lot of guys are going off of those Youtube clips, huh?

JH: Yeah! Hey, have you been checking out my interviews on Youtube?

PC: No, I didn't realize you were doing interviews on Youtube. Don't steal my job!

JH: I did one with Wanderlei, Shogun and I'm even in one with Jardine before he fought Chuck.

PC: What, do I just type in your name?

JH: I post a lot of them on my site. I don't know how to do it on Youtube. I guess you just type in John Hackleman and a bunch of them come up.

PC: What else have you been up to?

JH: I've just been running my gym. I'm doing an affiliation program where people can basically buy into The Pit and run their gym using some of my curriculum and stuff like that. That's going good.

PC: Any new word on the new DVD?

JH: Yeah, you go to the PitWorkout.com and I think the second one is out. I also have an instructional out. I have some good stuff going on. The Pit's out there. I teach over there 5 days a week. I guess 6 days because I have the fighters over there on Sunday.

PC: How often do you train still?

JH: I train 5 days a week. I train the same days my fighters do. I do everything but spar. I don't want to spar anymore. I've sparred too long.

PC: Do you still hit hard?

JH: You'll have to ask Chuck. Chuck says I could still beat him, but I think he's just being generous. He still talks about our first sparring session from back in the day.

PC: I read about that. When did that happen?

JH: Like '92 or '93. Yeah, we used to go at it. That's when I was still fighting.

PC: I heard you were a hard puncher man.

JH: Yeah. You know I talked to Earnie Shavers, right?

PC: Yeah, you told me.

JH: We still do the Earnie Shavers workout. Who else called me, oh, Howard Davis. That's right I gave you his number.

PC: We did an interview together.

JH: How did you like that?

PC: It was cool. He was a real nice guy. I hate that Din Thomas blew his knee out.

JH: It just so happens I ran into Din Thomas and Howard Davis and we hung out and shit, you know, and do you know what color Din Thomas's toenails were for his last fight?

PC: I have no idea.

JH: He painted them black for his last fight. Where did he get that from?

PC: Chuck Liddell?

JH: Me. I started that. Chuck did it like a year after I did mine, but now he does his blue.

PC: What's the deal with that?

JH: Ah, some girl I was with did it and I just left it like that. I called the American Top Team guys and told them I didn't give them permission to do that. What's been good with you? Where are you at?

PC: I'm in Louisiana. You have to come down here and hang out.

JH: I hate New Orleans.

PC: Ah man, why?

JH: I fought there once. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I think it was just a bad fight and I didn't like the people that were involved in the fight. I had a terrible experience in Salt Lake City when I fought over there, so I don't like Salt Lake City. I love Japan because I love to fight over there. What happened to Jermain Taylor? I didn't get to see it.

PC: It was a good fight. He had Pavlik hurt bad and dropped him in the 2nd round and punched himself out. Pavlik came back and stopped him in the 7th.

JH: The guy he was fighting didn't even look like a boxer. He looked like a tennis player or something. He is that guy. I saw a picture of the guy and he just didn't look like a fighter. Where is he from?

PC: Ohio. I know you're getting ready to head in the gym. Thanks for your time.

JH: No problem. If you want to set something up with Chuck, let me know because it looks like they're going to do the Wanderlei fight in December.

It has lost a little bit of it's luster, but better late than never...I guess!?!

http://ufcmania.com/2007/10/11/ufc-79-chuck-liddell-and-wanderlei-silva-verbally-agree-to-fight/

UFC 79: Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva verbally agree to fight

<SMALL class=metadata></SMALL>
chuckliddell_wandi_ufc.jpg

Finally (sorta).
The mega bout between former champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva for which mixed martial arts fans have clamored for years is going to go down at UFC 79 on December 29, according to a report from Dave Meltzer at WrestlingObserver.com.
Both light heavyweights have apparently verbally agreed in principle to clash at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on New Year’s Eve weekend.
Here’s the actual snip:
“Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva is now verbally agreed upon by both sides to take place on 12/29 in Las Vegas.”
Meltzer is usually dead-on with his inside information. In addition, this report echoes recent statements from John Hackleman that his fighter is penciled in to face the “Axe Murderer” once and for all.
Nothing, of course, is set in stone until the bout agreements are signed and an official announcement comes from the Zuffa front office.
But this looks pretty much looks like a done deal.
Rejoice.
For the latest rumored UFC 79 fight card click here.

We can now scratch Serra off the card. He hurt his back on Monday and had to pull out.

This really SUCKS!

wow that is just awful.... and only a week away too....

looks like chucky and silva are back up to a main event now.

UFC 79: Matt Serra withdraws from Matt Hughes fight with back injury

mattserravsmatthughes.jpg

The hits just keep on comin’.
UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra has pulled out of his upcoming fight with former titleholder Matt Hughes at UFC 79: “Nemesis,” according to UFC.com.
“The Terror” apparently sustained a back injury during training earlier this week and determined he would not be fit for the New Year’s Eve showdown.
Here’s a snip from UFC President Dana White:
“This is devastating news because they were so looking forward to fighting each other. Unfortunately injuries happen and I look forward to Serra recovering quickly, and to getting him back into the Octagon.”
Serra and Hughes, of course, are opposing coaches on this season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which has kept the 170-pound belt undefended since Serra stopped Georges St. Pierre at UFC 69: “Shootout” all the way back in April.
Now there’s no timetable for a return or when the postponed bout will take place.
Here’s a snip from Serra:
“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I’ve never had a back injury before; I could hardly get off of the MRI table. There is no way I can train through this, and I’m devastated, especially because this was such an important fight. I was looking forward to fighting Matt Hughes. All my training was going phenomenally until Monday – All I can do now is to get better and to fight again as soon as possible.”
This is certainly a blow to what was billed as a blockbuster pay-per-view (PPV) event from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on December 29. It seems now that the light heavyweight clash between former champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva will be bumped up to the main event.
Stay tuned for more details. In the meantime hit up the UFC 79 fight card right here.

Matt Hughes Thinks Matt Serra’s Injury is Legit

<!-- Print the time the article was posted --><!-- EMF updated style to include date + time -->Posted by MMA Junkie on November 23, 2007 at 2:01 pm ET
<!-- The article content -->
070102hughes.jpg
The UFC officially announced earlier today that current welterweight champion Matt Serra has injured his back and will be unable to compete in the main event at UFC 79. His scheduled opponent for the Dec. 29 fight, former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, today issued a statement, saying that he doesn’t think the injury “is a ploy not to fight.“
Hughes posted the statement on his blog at matt-hughes.com.
Whether it was a veiled knock at Serra or not, Hughes said that he believes his opponent is genuinely injured. However, Hughes also said he had suffered a similar injury and was able to fight through it.
“I believe Serra is actually hurt, so I don’t think this is just a ploy not to fight,” Hughes wrote. “Before my Royce (Gracie) fight (at UFC 60), I had three bulged discs that I was able to repair enough to fight. As everybody knows, you never go into a fight 100 percent.“
A timetable for Serra’s return isn’t known.
Hughes also confirmed that he hasn’t been booked for a possible Plan B fight. Hughes, who coached opposite Serra on the current season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” earned a title shot by defeating Chris Lytle at UFC 68 in March. Although it seems unlikely that the UFC would make Hughes fight a different opponent in the interim, it’s always a possibility.
“I’m just going to continue to train until I find out what’s next,” Hughes stated.
As it stands, UFC 79’s main card still features bouts of Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva, Lyoto Machida vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, and Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard.
For the latest UFC 79 news, check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Matt Hughes: ‘I’m fighting Georges St. Pierre on December 29′ at UFC 79 (Update)

matthughesufcchampion.jpg

Looks like UFC 79: “Nemesis” will have a welterweight title fight after all — Matt Hughes (41-5) vs. Georges St. Pierre (14-2) III.
According to Matt Hughes blog:
“I’m going to fight Georges St. Pierre on December 29th. I’ve got a couple reasons why I’ve made this decision and I will share those at a later time. I’ve asked for this to be for an interim title and if Matt Serra can’t fight in a year, then this would just be the title fight; but I don’t know if that is going to happen right now. I will keep you all posted. This WILL BE for the interim title, so it will be a 5-round fight.”

Hughes was originally scheduled to face current welterweight champion Matt “The Terror” Serra on December 29. However, Serra was forced to withdraw after suffering a serious back injury during training.
UFC.com also announced news of the rubbermatch shortly after Hughes’ post, billing the match up as a fight between the “two greatest welterweights of all-time.” It’s a fight that “Rush” apparently accepted with no hesitation despite the short notice.
Here’s a snip from the Canadian:
“I’m so excited to get this fight. I’m fighting Matt Hughes for the interim title right now, and then after that I’m going to go after Serra. I’ve wanted that rematch against Serra, and this is the best scenario that can happen.”
St. Pierre — who has one loss to Serra (UFC 69), as well as a win (UFC 65) and a loss to Hughes (UFC 50) — was waiting in the wings to compete against the winner of the Serra-Hughes sometime in early 2008.
What a difference a day makes.
Serra is clearly disappointed with the situation and will actually be rooting for his “nemesis” Hughes to come out victorious.
A snip from Serra:
“I can’t believe the position this puts me in. I’m actually rooting for Matt Hughes so I can beat his ass.”
This is an odd time to be a UFC champion: Randy Couture has resigned and BJ Penn and Joe Stevenson will fight for the interim lightweight title at UFC 80 because Sean Sherk is embroiled in a steroid appeal that could see him suspended for up to 12 months. Essentially, (if Sherk is cleared) there will be two 170-pound and 155-pound champions and not a heavyweight titleholder (if “The Natural” does not return.)
Regardless, this is the best possible move under some difficult circumstances. It’s a main event-caliber fight that is equal to — if not better than — the original booking. It also sets up an “undisputed” clash as soon as Serra is good to go in the New Year.
For the latest UFC 79 fight card, which also features the light heavyweight brawl between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, click here. The pay-per-view (PPV) event takes place from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on New Year’s Eve weekend.

How do you feel about this "interim title"?

As of right now I am not to fond of it. Why have a real title if you are going to give out 4-6-8 month title?

But it is a nice "make-up" fight for losing Serra. Though I would have rather had Serra/Hughes. But this is a headliner nonetheless.

Anytime Hughes gets beaten and battered is a good day for me!

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St-Pierre </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Matt Hughes</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 9" (175 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>169 (77 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>43-5-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Georges St-Pierre </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 10" (178 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>170 (77 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>13-2-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"Rush"
</TD><TD width=15> </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=silver colSpan=7></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Chuck Liddell</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>6' 2" (188 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>205 (93 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>20-4-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

"The Iceman"
</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Wanderlei Silva </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 11" (180 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>205 (93 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>31-7-1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"The Axe Murderer"
</TD><TD width=15> </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=silver colSpan=7></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Lyoto Machida Vs. Rameau Sokoudjou </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Lyoto Machida</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>6' 1" (185 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>205 (93 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>10-0-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Rameau Sokoudjou </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>n/a</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>205 (93 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>4-1-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"The African Assassin"

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Rich Clementi Vs. Melvin Guillard </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Rich Clementi</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 9" (175 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>170 (77 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>35-12-1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

"No Love"
</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Melvin Guillard </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 9" (175 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>155 (70 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>39-7-3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"The Young Assassin"

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Sao Palelei Vs. Eddie Sanchez </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Sao Palelei</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>n/a</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>245 (111 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Eddie Sanchez </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>6' 2" (188 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>230 (104 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>8-1-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"The Manic Hispanic"

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Luis Cane Vs. James Irvin </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Luis Cane</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>n/a</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>0 (0 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

"Bana"
</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>James Irvin </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>6' 2" (188 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>205 (93 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>12-4-1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"Sandman"

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Nate Mohr Vs. Manny Gamburyan </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Nate Mohr</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 9" (175 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>155 (70 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>6-4-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Manny Gamburyan </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 5" (165 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>155 (70 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>5-2-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"The Pitbull"

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Jordan Radev Vs. Dean Lister </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Jordan Radev</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 7" (170 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>185 (84 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>16-1-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Dean Lister </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>6' 1" (185 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>185 (84 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>9-5-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

"The Boogeyman"

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Roan Carneiro Vs. Tony DeSouza </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Roan Carneiro</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 9" (175 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>170 (77 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>11-5-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

"Jucao"
</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Tony DeSouza </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>6' 1" (185 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>170 (77 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>9-3-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

<TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=data_title><TD colSpan=7>Mark Bocek Vs. Doug Evans </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD width=15> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Mark Bocek</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 8" (173 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>155 (70 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record:</TD><TD>4-0-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=185>

</TD><TD width=95>
events_vs.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150><TABLE class=data_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Name:</TD><TD>Doug Evans </TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Height:</TD><TD>5' 9" (175 cm)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Weight:</TD><TD>155 (70 kg)</TD></TR><TR class=data_row><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Record: </TD><TD>6-0-0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=185>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 448px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 x:str><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>UFC 79 Odds</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>BOF</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>BetUS</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Sportsbook</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">5Dimes</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Bodog</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>Matt Hughes</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>+200</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>+190</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">+170</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">+195</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">+160</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>Georges St Pierre</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-250</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-240</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-210</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-235</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-200</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>Chuck Liddell</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-110</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>even</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-115</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">even</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-115</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>Wanderlei Silva</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-120</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-130</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-115</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-120</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-115</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>Lyoto Machida</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-140</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>-130</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-130</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-140</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">-130</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 115px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" height=17 x:str>Ram Sokoudjou</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 4px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none" x:str> </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>+110</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 42pt; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=56>even</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 88px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">even</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 56px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">+120</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 87px; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none">even</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Performify’s Picks for UFC 79

Posted by Performify on December 26, 2007 at 1:19 am ET
Performify back again with picks and predictions for this weekend’s UFC 79 event.
I’m still riding a bit of a “hot streak” across the last several events, despite a so-so performance at UFC 78. I’m 18-8 for +11.15 units for the last four events on which I’ve released predictions (UFC 78, 77, 76, and 75).
Don’t forget to check out our special holiday promotion — the MMAjunkie.com Christmas Cash offer, good through the New Year. Everyone who signs up with us at Bodog or signs up with us at BetUS between now and the end of the month — and funds his or her account — will receive an extra deposit bonus directly from MMAjunkie.com of $25</STRONG>. See “MMAjunkie.com New Year’s Promotion — Free Xmas Cash and Free Plays!” for full details on how to qualify for a free $25 directly from MMAjunkie.com.
For those interested in betting on the UFC so you can follow along and make money watching your favorite sport, you can get exact details on how to sign up at Bodog — or even learn how to make a bet and read a betting line — by reading the series of articles in our MMAjunkie.com MMA and UFC Wagering Guide:
On to the picks. As always, all lines are current widely available market lines at the time of this write-up. And as usual, this write-up is a long one, so don’t forget to click through to “Read More” to get the rest of the predictions.
Chuck Liddell (-105) vs. Wanderlei Silva (-125)
Chuck Liddell is 38 years old and owns a 20-5 MMA record, almost all of it earned in the UFC octagon where he is 15-4. Liddell has been actively fighting in the UFC since UFC 17 all the way back in May of 1998.
Liddell has an extensive background in kickboxing and collegiate wrestling and holds a purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He is primarily a standup fighter and a counter-puncher, depending on his elite takedown defense to keep things standing and his unorthodox striking style to stop his opponents.
Liddell is coming off two consecutive losses: a one-punch knockout at the hands of current UFC champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 71 in May 2007, and a split-decision loss to Keith Jardine in late September at UFC 76.
Wanderlei Silva is 31 years old and holds a 31-7-1 MMA record. Silva is primarily a veteran of the defunct Japanese MMA organization PRIDE, where he held the organization’s middleweight (205 pound) title for over five years. There, Silva also won the PRIDE 2003 Middleweight Grand Prix tournament.
Newer UFC fans might not realize that this isn’t Silva’s first trip to the UFC octagon. The Brazilian has actually fought in the UFC three times before, and holds a 1-2 record in the cage. Silva lost to Tito Ortiz at UFC 25 and Vitor Belfort at UFC Ultimate Brazil (which was between UFC 17 and UFC 18) back in 1998.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- e9 = new Object(); e9.size = "300x250"; e9.noAd = 1;//--></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT src="http://tags.expo9.exponential.com/tags/mmajunkiecom/ROS/tags.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
Silva has the nickname “The Axe Murderer”, which he earned for his extremely aggressive fighting style, but also holds the Brazilian nickname “Cachorro Louco”, which translates to “Mad Dog”.
Like Liddell, Silva is coming off of two consecutive losses: a devastating KO loss to the significantly larger Mirko Cro Cop in the PRIDE open-weight grand prix tournament (PRIDE Final Conflict Absolute) in September 2006, and another knockout loss to Dan Henderson at PRIDE 33 on US soil in February 2007. Silva then took much of 2007 off of fighting before returning to prepare for this fight against Liddell.
This highly anticipated fight comes a little later than most of us MMA fans would want. Humorously, UFC president Dana White chided former PRIDE officials for “allowing” Silva to lose to Dan Henderson at PRIDE 33 thus supposedly “ruining” the potential match up between Silva and Liddell. However, more so than Silva’s losses, Liddell’s two consecutive losses — especially the loss to Keith Jardine who isn’t exactly regarded as one of the top fighters in the weight class — really reduce a lot of the luster on this fight. Yes, as a hardcore MMA fan, I’m still obviously interested in this fight, but it no longer holds nearly the appeal that it once did.
Liddell reportedly has been following his standard training regimen for this fight, while Silva has reportedly been holding his most intense training camp yet. Silva is likely training so hard simply because he has much to loose with this fight — at only 31 years old, he still has several years and potentially several big fights in front of him. For example, if he can defeat Liddell and rack up another victory or two, who wouldn’t want to see a rematch against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, to see if the “new and improved” Jackson can erase the specter of those losses? Silva has been training with a variety of partners, but primarily with former UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture — the same Couture who fought Liddell three times and was victorious once.
Silva has everything to gain by defeating Liddell here, that much is obvious. Liddell, on the other hand — at least in my opinion — has everything going against him. While there’s no question “The Iceman” helped to put MMA and the UFC on the map, he’s primarily made a career of knocking out grapplers and mid-level strikers. Silva is one of the first elite-level strikers that Liddell has faced in a long, long time. The loss to Jardine is already a significant black mark on his recent record, and at 38 — and with his apparent party-hard lifestyle — time is not on his side. Now the 205-pound division is stacked with talent, and Liddell seems to have everything going against him: time, lifestyle, conditioning, quality of opposition, pretty much everything.
I look for both fighters to come out a little cautious, which might surprise some people. Silva is known as highly aggressive, but coming off two big knockout losses and knowing the magnitude of this fight — and with the expert gameplanning advice of Randy Couture in his corner — I expect Silva to have a rock-solid gameplan that includes an appropriate level of caution.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Silva look to engage Liddell with his muay thai skills, especially from inside the clinch. Couture used his Greco-Roman wrestling skills to get inside on Liddell when he beat him, and if Silva can avoid getting blasted on the way in, he can neutralize a lot of Liddell’s ability to strike from outside.
I expect the first round will be a bit cautious early, and then some fireworks late. The second round I expect to be almost all Silva, with Silva securing victory by referee stoppage early in the third round.
Lyoto Machida (-130) vs. Rameau Sokoudjou (+110 via Bookmaker)
Lyoto Machida presents a terrible style matchup for just about everyone he faces — he’s a focused and cautious and disciplined counter-striker. Machida is a Brazilian and at 28 has a bright future in MMA with an 11-0 record, 3-0 in the UFC. Machida has a strong background in karate courtesy his father, Japanese Brazilian Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida. Lyoto has also trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, where he holds a purple belt under Alexi Cruz. After Machida’s second fight, he came under the tutelage of Japanese icon Antonio Inoki.

Among Machida’s eleven victories are two fights against top-tier talent: a well-publicized knockout win of Rich Franklin back in 2003, and a fight with BJ Penn in March 2005, where Penn was fighting up two full weight classes and Lyoto won a close — and to some, controversial — decision. Machida’s three fights in the UFC are all unanimous decision victories, over Sam Hoger at UFC 67, David Heath at UFC 70, and Kazuhiro Nakamura at UFC 76. Machida also has a victory over UFC fighter Stephan Bonnar from a smaller organization back in 2003.
Rameau Sokoudjou is 4-1 in MMA and is making his UFC debut. The “African Assassin” became one of MMA’s hottest young names after a shocking upset of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in only 23 seconds at PRIDE 33. That was actually the single largest upset, from a gambling perspective, in MMA history. Sokoudjou then followed his upset of Nogueira with another first round knockout, this time of Ricardo Arona at PRIDE 34.
Sokoudjou trains with Team Quest South with Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland. He actually helped Henderson prepare for a fight back in 2004 as a training partner.
Sokoudjou has been on the bench, so to speak, without a professional fight since PRIDE 34, in April 2007. He’s mentioned in several interviews (including the story we previously featured from Dave Doyle of Yahoo! Sports (see: Sokoudjou’s Secret Journey to MMA Stardom) that he’s been continuously training since that event, however as with many of the former PRIDE fighters, “ring rust” has to be a concern.
One of the constants in MMA wagering is that the public tends to dramatically over-estimate the results of your last fight. Yes, Sokoudjou has won his last two major-stage fights with two dramatic knockout victories. However, don’t overestimate the judoka’s abilities based on the small bit you’ve seen of him. Balance what you know and what you’ve actually seen. Machida on the other side is a known commodity — he’s an excellent fighter, truly top-tier, with wins over major competition and a style that creates problems for just about anyone.
I’ve been making money on Machida for a long time, as the linesmakers (and the betting public) tend to underrate the fighter. He’s not flashy. He doesn’t finish fights. And as such, he hasn’t garnered nearly the publicity he deserves. But he wins fights. He’s got fantastic defensive skills and great technique. I expect that Machida’s highly technical skills here will be too much for Sokoudjou’s aggressiveness. Machida by unanimous decision.
Melvin Guillard (-240 via Bookmaker) vs. Rich Clementi (+200)
Melvin Guillard is primarily an explosive, athletic striker with a background in kickboxing, but he also holds a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ricco Rodriguez. Guillard is 20-6-2 in MMA and 3-1 in the UFC, winning his last two fights with knockouts against Gabe Ruediger at UFC 63 (Hughes vs. Penn) and Rick Davis at UFC 60 (Hughes vs. Gracie) before dropping his last fight against Joe “Daddy” Stevenson in under thirty seconds.
Guillard may be a highly emotional fighter, but despite all that drama he’s a strong, young fighter at 24 years of age, and despite the setback against Stevenson I think Guillard has potential to be a top-ten fighter at 155 if he continues to improve. Guillard trains with Tito Ortiz under the mantle of Team Punishment, which means he’s had access to Tito’s longtime striking instructor Saul Soliz, but Guillard has also trained in the past with Pete Spratt, Ricco Rodriguez, and Diego Sanchez.
<!-- begin ZEDO for channel: ASF.MMA Junkie , publisher: MMA Junkie , Ad Dimension: Medium Rectangle - 300 x 250 -->
<IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://c5.zedo.com/jsc/c5/ff2.html?n=595;c=116/81;s=75;d=9;w=300;h=250" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
<!-- end ZEDO for channel: ASF.MMA Junkie , publisher: MMA Junkie , Ad Dimension: Medium Rectangle - 300 x 250 -->
Rich “No Love Clementi holds an extensive 29-12-1 MMA record and is 2-3 in the UFC. Clementi was a participant on The Ultimate Fighter season four, “The Comeback.” He has been fighting professionally since 1999. Clementi lost his first two fights in the UFC — submission losses to Yves Edwards at UFC 41 and Din Thomas at the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 4. He then rebounded with an easy victory over Ross Pointon at UFC Fight Night 8. His massive one fight win streak was then was derailed by Roan Carneiro at UFC Fight Night 9. “No Love” then jumped outside the UFC recently to fight in the IFO. There — on the undercard of Travis Wiuff vs. Sean Salmon — Clementi secured a first round submission victory to return to winning ways. He then returned to the majors with a submission victory over Anthony Johnson at UFC 76.
Clementi at this point in his career has become a mid-level journeyman. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that role, of course, but I don’t believe he’s capable of taking his game to the “next level,” so to speak. Guillard is marketable and dramatic and should rebound with an easy victory here against Clementi. Guillard by TKO in the second round.
Georges St. Pierre (-240) vs. Matt Hughes (+190)
Matt Hughes holds a ridiculous 41-5 MMA record, and is 15-3 in the UFC. This fight is the rubber match to settle the series between the fighters. Hughes won the first round, but then lost to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 65 in November 2006 by TKO at 1:25 of the second round. He has fought only once since then, due to the long layoff of Hughes’ position as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter reality show. That fight was a rather cautious unanimous decision victory over Chris Lytle at UFC 68 in March 2007.
Georges St. Pierre (14-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC). St. Pierre is 7-1 in fights going back through 2005. This is St. Pierre’s eleventh fight in the octagon, where he is undefeated except against fighters named Matt. St. Pierre’s first loss was to Matt Hughes at UFC 50 in October 2004, later avenged in dominant fashion at UFC 65. He then lost to Matt Serra in one of MMA’s largest upsets, at UFC 69 back in April. Most recently, “Rush” defeated Josh Koscheck by unanimous decision at UFC 74 on August 25 2007.
MMAjunkie.com sources near and inside Hughes’ training camp tell us that the former champion is training for this fight harder than has for any of his previous contests.
This fight presents an interesting conflict in styles and in storylines. Hughes represents the UFC’s old guard — the old-school wrestler, the ground-and-pound style. St. Pierre represents the young up-and-comers, those who have trained in all disciplines and are just as comfortable in jiu-jitsu or standing as they are in wrestling. St. Pierre is tremendously athletic and amazingly quick. Hughes is tremendously strong, perhaps the strongest welterweight fighter on the planet. Hughes is, without question, a future resident of the UFC hall of fame. And with this victory, I believe St. Pierre will take a serious step in that direction himself.
That’s right, I’m predicting the Canadian to take this fight. I know a lot of people like Hughes’ chances here, and as an almost 2:1 underdog the odds are certainly attractive. However, I believe the wrestling skills and phenomenal takedown defense that St. Pierre showcased against Josh Koscheck will simply be too much for Hughes to overcome here. Hughes’ standup cannot have improved sufficiently to take the fight to his Canadian opponent on the feet. I believe St. Pierre’s takedown defense and overall skills are just going to be too much for Hughes, and I think the Canadian will likely dominate this fight from start to finish.
Remember, since this fight is for the interium welterweight title, it is a five round fight. However, I don’t believe we’ll see the later rounds. St. Pierre by TKO in the third.
Eddie Sanchez (+125) vs. Soa Palelei (-155)
Eddie Sanchez holds a 7-1 MMA record and is 2-1 in the UFC. His UFC wins are against Mario Neto and Colin Robinson. However he’s probably most famous for his lone MMA loss, where he played the role of sacrificial lamb for Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic’s debut at UFC 67. Sanchez trains with North County Fight Club.
Soa Palelei is from Perth Australia and holds an 8-1 MMA record. He’s fought in Shooto, in PRIDE against Mu Bae Choi, and most recently in King of the Cage. Palelei, known as “The Hulk,” now trains out of Temecula California with Team Quest. He’s been training for ten years, and was active in the fight game from late 2002 until late 2004 when he stepped up to PRIDE and faced Choi. There, Palelei was defeated by rear naked choke, and the Australian then went almost three full years without a professional fight. In his return in the King of the Cage organization, he dropped his opponent Shaun Vanof in the first fourteen seconds. So in reality, Palelei hasn’t really had a major fight in over three years. However, he’s certainly training with a top-tier camp now, and that should help to make up for some of the ring rust. Palelei is well-rounded, with good skills standing as well as grappling skills: the Australian competed in the ADCC 2003 submission wrestling championships
I’m not really too impressed with this match-up, and I am incredibly surprised that they’ve chosen to make this a main card fight. I can only assume that they’re attempting to build up “The Hulk.” I am afraid that this will be a more mediocre fight than most expect, with Palelei’s ring rust playing a major factor. I don’t think this fight is worth betting — Palelei not having a serious fight in three years scares me and we haven’t seen enough from Sanchez to make me think he’s worth a bet as the underdog. I will predict Palelei by TKO late in the first round.
James Irvin (+150) vs. Luis Cane (-180)
James Irvin is 12-4 MMA in MMA but only 2-3 in the UFC. He is best known for his highlight-reel flying knee knockout of KO Terry Martin at UFC 54. Irvin returns to action for the first time since a May UFC 71 event. There, the 29-year-old fighter suffered a significant injury when his knee buckled during a loss to Thiago Silva. The Nevada State Athletic Commission originally issued Irvin a medical suspension that ran through November, pending clearance from an orthopedic doctor.
The defeat snapped a three-fight win streak for Irvin, which included an entertaining second-round TKO of Hector Ramirez at UFC 65. Irvin’s other two UFC losses were a KO loss to Mike Kyle at UFC 51 and a submission loss to Stephan Bonnar at UFC Fight Night 3.
Luis Cane fights out of Sao Paulo, Brazil, and has a background in grappling and muay thai. Cane owns a restaurant in Brazil, and still works there. He is 7-0 in MMA, with one no-contest. Cane is only 26 years old and has finished six of his seven victories by knockout or TKO.
I’m not interested in predicting this fight — I don’t know how healthy Irvin’s knee is, or how coming off that injury will have affected his training camp and conditioning. I also haven’t seen enough of Cane to recommend him at the current odds. I will predict Cane by TKO in the second round.
Nate Mohr (+305) vs. Manny Gamburyan (-375)
Nate Mohr is 8-4 in MMA and 1-1 in the UFC. Mohr made his UFC debut on the undercard of UFC Fight Night 9, losing by submission in the first round to Kurt Pelligrino. Mohr rebounded by winning a unanimous decision victory over Luke Caudillo at UFC Fight Night 10.
Manny Gamburyan was a contestant on Season 5 of The Ultimate Fighter. He holds a 5-2 MMA record and is officially 0-1 in the UFC after losing to Nate Diaz in the finale due to re-injuring his shoulder. “The Pitbull” has struggled throughout his MMA career with injuries to that same shoulder, dislocating it several times. Gamburyan’s notable MMA matches include a win over Jorge Santiago in King of the Cage, and a loss to Sean Sherk in the Reality Submission Fighting organization.
Gamburyan presents a tough style matchup for anyone — he’s short and stocky and strong, and expect to see a lot of the same technique that you saw propel Manny to the finals of the Ultimate Fighter Season 5: takedowns and ground control and the occasional strike. Manny by unanimous decision.
Jordan Radev (+280) vs. Dean Lister (-350)
Jordan Radev is a former Bulgarian Olympic wrestler who holds an 11-2 MMA record. He made his UFC debut on the undercard of UFC Fight Night 10 back in June, losing by KO to Andrew McFedries in just 33 seconds. Dean Lister is a world champion grappler and holds a 9-5 record in MMA and is 2-1 in the UFC. He returns to the octagon for the first time since his devastating loss to Nate Marquardt at UFC Fight Night 8 in January 2007. “The Boogeyman” is a grappling standout who won the 2003 Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) Absolute Division championship, a prestigious grappling tournament consisting only of top 16 grapplers in the world of each weight class. He’s had mixed success in Mixed Martial Arts, primarily because his standup skills aren’t anywhere near his world-class jiu-jitsu skills.
In this fight, it will be interesting to see if Radev’s wrestling skills and takedown defense will be sufficient to keep the fight standing against Lister, and if so, to see if Lister’s standup has improved in the almost-year since he’s last been seen in the Octagon. I believe Lister will show improved standup, at least sufficient standup to get the fight to the ground, where he will finish Radev with a submission — I predict somewhere in the second round.
Roan Carneiro (-155) vs. Tony Desouza (+125)
Roan “Jucao” Carneiro is 11-6 in MMA and 1-1 in the UFC. The Brazilian Top Team fighter’s lone UFC loss is to standout welterweight John Fitch. He made his UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 9 in April 2007, defeating Rich Clementi by unanimous decision. All of his MMA wins have come by submission or by decision.
Tony “Beautiful Beard” DeSouza is 10-3 in MMA and 2-2 in the UFC. DeSouza defeated Paul Rodriguez in his UFC debut back at UFC 32 in mid-2001, suffered a KO loss at UFC 33, and then left the organization, fighting a couple times a year in smaller organizations. He returned to the UFC in 2006, defeating Dustin Hazelett at Ortiz vs. Shamrock 3, and then losing to Thiago Alves two months later at UFC 66. DeSouza is a Brazilian jiu jitsu specialist, but like fellow grappler Dean Lister, he has struggled with his standup skills.
<IFRAME name=300x250 marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://www.activeathletevector.com/OAS/AA_300x250.cfm?pub=tas.ufcjunkie&refresh_rate=60&refresh=yes" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME>
Fights where both combatants are standout grapplers are usually decided by the edge the fighters have on the feet. Here, the edge goes to Carneiro. If the fight does turn in to a grappling match, DeSouza’s skills should have a chance to shine. However, I believe we’re going to see a case where a grappling standout is beaten by a more well-rounded mixed martial artist. Carneiro by TKO in the secound round.
Mark Bocek (-110) vs. Doug Evans (-120)
Mark Bocek is 4-1 in MMA and 0-1 in the UFC after losing to Frankie Edgar by TKO in the first round at UFC 73. Bocek is a 25-year-old Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialist from Ontario, Canada. None of his four MMA wins have made it out of the first round.
Bocek studied under Rickson and Renzo Gracie before moving to the world famous jiu jitsu powerhouse Team Nova Uniao, where he received his BJJ black belt from Joao Roque. Bocek has won the BJJ World Cup, is a three-time Pan Am medalist, and has competed in the prestigious Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC), an Arabian invitation-only grappling tournament that is widely regarded to be the best submission grappling tournament in the world. Bocek won the 2006 North American ADCC trials and most recently defeated UFC fighter Drew Fickett, 8-0, in the opening round of ADCC 2007 before losing in the quarterfinals.
Bocek trains with fellow Canadian Georges St. Pierre, and has trained at Greg Jackson’s camp in Albuquerque, N.M.
Doug Evans fights out of Anchorage Alaska and holds a 5-1 MMA record. Like Bocek, Evans is 0-1 in the UFC, losing in his UFC debut to Roger Huerta at the Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale.
As is typical of lightweight battles, this fight could actually steal the show (or at least the undercard). Both fighters showed promise in their debuts — Evans showcased some well-rounded skills, and it will be interesting to see if his wrestling and striking will be able to counter Bocek’s excellent grappling. I believe at the heart of it, this will be a classic battle of gameplans, between Evans looking to keep the fight standing and Bocek looking to take the fight to the ground. Whichever fighter can effectively implement their gameplan should walk away easily — I don’t think Bocek can hang with Evans on the feet, and I don’t think Evan’s wrestling will be sufficient to avoid Bocek’s submission skills. I will predict Bocek by submission in the first round, but I think this fight is too close to bet.
My public-record plays for this event:
  • Wanderlei Silva (-125) : 2.5u to win 2u
  • Lyoto Machida (-130): 1.3u to win 1u
  • Melvin Guillard (-240): 1.2u to win .5u
  • Georges St. Pierre (-240): 2.4u to win 1u
  • Soa Palelei (-155): no play
  • Luis Cane (-180): no play
  • Manny Gamburyan (-375): no play
  • Dean Lister (-350): -3.5u to win 1u
  • Roan Carneiro (-155): .39u to win .25u
  • Mark Bocek (-110): no play

UFC 79 betting odds: Free tips and advice from Desert Dog

NOTE: We’re putting together a pretty cool contest that we will announce in the next day or so — some big prizes will be available. To be eligible participants will have to create an account at either BetUS or Bodog.com (or both). Sign up now through MMAmania.com prior to UFC 79 — it’s quick and easy. More details to follow soon.
Desert Dog here with tips and “Smart Bets” for UFC 79: “Nemesis” this Saturday, December 29, at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
It’s a fight card that has some intriguing story lines and historic implications, from the showdown between former champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva to the rubbermatch between Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre. In addition, a handful of talented fighters such as Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Soa Palalei, Manny Gamburyan and others are making there Octagon debuts.
UFC 79 also offers some great betting opportunities that we can’t ignore. There’s great value and a ton of creative betting options on the table. For this one we’re just going to touch on the main cards bouts. It’s absolutely loaded and it deserves our utmost attention.
Let’s get to it.
Here are the “Smart Bets” for UFC 79:
(Note: + = Underdog; - = Favorite)
Main card picks
Georges St. Pierre -200 (Bet $100 to win $50.00)
Wanderlei Silva -125 (Bet $100 to win $80.00)
Rameau Sokoudjou +100 (Bet $100 to win $100)
Melvin Guillard -260 (No Action)
Soa Palalei -140 (No Action)

Other bets offered at BetUS:
Over / Unders
St. Pierre vs. Hughes: Over 1.5 (-180) Under (+140)
Liddell vs Silva: Over 1.5 (+100) Under (-140)
Machida vs Sokoudjou: Over 1.5 (-180) Under (+140)

Parlays
St. Pierre, Silva, Sokoudjou: (+431) (Bet $100 win $431)
St. Pierre, Silva, Machida: (+370) (Bet $100 win $370)
Hughes, Liddell, Sokoudjou (+1032) (Bet $100 to win $1,032)

NOTE: MMAmania.com recommends BetUS.com to place wagers (FREE $75 play with a deposit of $200 and FREE $175 play with a deposit of $500 or more … you actually make money). However, Bodog.com is also a good place to bet and compare odds.)

As always — if you are going to bet — only play with what you are willing to lose.
The easiest pick ‘em for the night is St. Pierre to win; however, in terms of value all three of the main card bouts look good for a straight bet. I also want to quickly highlight a few other types of bets offered at BetUS that make some interesting options.
First, the over/under (O/U) bets that are based on whether a fight will be over or under a certain number of rounds. These are usually only offered on main card fights. For UFC 79, the Hughes-St. Pierre O/U bet is very likely to go over 1.5 rounds. Remember this is a five round fight and no matter who wins both guys tend not to be quick finishers.
The other option is a parlay bet. BetUS offers these on all open fights. A parlay comprises picking two or more winners for the night. The more fights you pick the greater the odds, but you must hit all of your picks to win. Obviously, the payouts on these bets are quite high but that’s because the odds of even getting three fights right is relatively low.
With the main card fights all having relatively tight odds a three fight parlay will return very good payouts no matter what your pick. I included the odds for my three picks as well as the odds for the three favorites (+370) and the three underdogs (+1032).
As you can see it’s a way for a single well placed bet to provide a healthy payoff.
Now onto a more detailed breakdown of the fights for those bettors who require a little more reassurance.
Main card bouts:
Georges St. Pierre (-200) vs. Matt Hughes (+190)
When was the last time Matt Hughes was a 2 to 1 underdog? Never. The real question is have the books picked this one right and are now just using odds to tempt the public money, or will the self professed farm boy return to glory?
Hughes has admitted in recent interviews that he is nearing the end of his storied career and is looking to this as his big redemption fight. That more than likely means in his mind that a win over St. Pierre will lead to him retiring in a blaze of glory, leaving only the bloody remains of “Rush,” Matt Serra and what the hell … Anderson Silva, too, as evidence of his mighty reign.
In the real world, Hughes has endured a nine-month layoff since his last snoozefest with Chris Lytle, as well as a stint as coach on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) mixed martial arts reality series. And up until a month ago, he thought he was training for Serra in what he viewed as an easily winnable fight.
Now he finds himself facing his true “nemesis” in St. Pierre — the man who dealt him possibly the biggest loss of his career.
No matter how mature Hughes is as a fighter that always plays a roll in the mental battle of this game. Hughes has stated what he sees as his advantages in this fight, including the shortened training time for St. Pierre, his strength, and his dominance on the ground. However, looking from the outside I only see Pierre’s training time as a real factor.
Hughes’ game plan will be straight forward … it has to be. His strengths are simple: relentless takedowns, tremendous strength and the ability to take advantage of the smallest error when the fight is on the mat, especially if he has dominant position. So without a real standup game (yes, his jab is better, but he’s still a stubby arm puncher) Matt will have to put himself in the pocket repeatedly to secure solid takedowns.
And the pocket is a dangerous place to be with GSP.
St. Pierre is pushing into the prime of his career and knows that a loss here derails everything. With the knowledge that Hughes is coming to this fight with a more basic plan of attack he and his trainers have an interesting choice for the gameplan. Without Hughes staying on the outside absorbing leg kicks and Superman punches he will be forced to concentrate on his grappling and ground game.
St. Pierre’s takedown defense is top notch and already proven to be tough for Hughes, but a great defense doesn’t win fights. So, I’m interested to see if he deploys the same logic he did with Koscheck and try to beat Hughes to the punch by putting him where he’s going to be least comfortable … on his back. Although Hughes thinks he is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, his guard is nowhere near as dangerous as his mount. GSP has successfully used this tactic with BJ Penn and Koscheck and I think he’d be well advised to follow suit here, too.
Much like Jon Fitch and Randy Couture, I never bet against GSP and I’m not starting here. Bodog’s odds (-200) are the best available right now and have enough value for me to lay down the cabbage. I’m betting GSP will attack Hughes, repeatedly putting him on his back. By the third round Matt’s frustration will lead to him thinking he’s a boxer again, which of course ends with Hughes waking up with that goofy dazed look we’ve all seen before.
Prediction: St. Pierre via late technical knockout
Chuck Liddell (+100) vs. Wanderlei Silva (-125)
Another fight fan dream match up has finally come to fruition. It’s a little late but I’ll take it. If this fight would have happened a year ago I think the outcome would have been very different, but winds have shifted in significantly in 2006 and I think Chuck Liddell has lost his fire.
Wanderlei Silva helped make the ChuteBoxe Academy what it is; however, now that he’s returning to the Octagon “The Axe Murderer” recently began training with X-Treme Couture in Las Vegas Vegas, Nevada, alongside top level UFC fighters. In short, Silva is making all the right moves to prepare for this fight.
And if the Wandi that Pride FC fans loved shows up on SuperBowl weekend look out — one more bonafide superstar will be added to the 205-pound roster.
Silva is best know for his aggressive technical striking and vicious Muay Thai knees … just ask Rampage Jackson. Remember he’s also a Brazilian jiu-jitsu blackbelt and throughout his career has faced every style and size of fighter in the world and found a way to beat most of them. The case could be made that one of Wandi’s recent losses was with a similar opponent in Cro cop. Similar in the sense that Mirko was probably the only one dimensional fighter to really give Silva problems (yes, I think Liddell is one dimensional!).
What Chuck had in the past was the ability to concentrate on that one dimension with unwavering confidence. He developed a very strong sprawl and scramble that left him ready to let his hands fly at will. That confidence has faded with time and two difficult losses. His last two fights didn’t necessarily put his chin in question; instead they put in question how he stacks up against technical strikers/kickboxers.
Chuck has done nothing to fortify his game or to change his training. He’s simply looking to knock someone out. Of course he’ll always be a dangerous striker, but in a match up like this it’s more likely he’ll just be outclassed and eventually caught looking for a shot.
Prediction: Silva via technical knockout

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (+100) vs. Lyoto Machida (-130)
What a great fight this should be.
Lyoto is a very experienced and balanced fighter standing on an unbeaten record. Charging like a bull across the ring will be Sokoudjou the “African Assassin.” Machida will more than likely have no choice but engage in a high-paced battle — something with which he doesn’t seem to familiar or comfortable.
Sokou has been quickly accepted by fight fans and analysts as a true top level contender in the light heavyweight ranks. In fact, he’s ranked number five at MMAweekly.com and number eight at Sherdog.com — in both cases he’s sitting several notches above Machida. This may seem a surprise considering he has only five pro fights on his record; however, his last two wins were straight up knockouts of “Little Nog” and Ricardo Arona that bolstered his ranking. Not to mention that he competed in the 2001 U.S. Open Judo Championship and he also has a sprinkle of general badass.
Training with Dan Henderson at Team Quest is also a huge bonus and anyone who has seen this guy in the gym walks away wide eyed … he’s a beast. As far as weaknesses go it’s hard to say we haven’t seen him in the ring long enough to see all of his abilities tested.
Lyoto Machida is an excellent fighter out of Black House, training with the likes of Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. His unbeaten record tells quite a story as well with wins over Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, Michael McDonald, B.J. Penn, Vernon White, Sam Hoger, David Heath and Kazuhiro Nakamura.
What has frustrated the UFC and the fans has been the pace of his victories and lack of finishes. Machida has the strange ability to dictate a slow methodical pace in a fight. Opponents seem lulled into overextending takedown attempts or reaching with their strikes; and Lyoto’s counter striking and unorthodox ground game give him the ability to attack and recoil for the next opportunity. It’s been a winning style so far, but the UFC promotes exciting fighters not just those with the best record.
Put simply, Machida must finish this fight convincingly or he will continue to find himself lurking in the background of the division.
Unfortunately for Machida, he’s not being fed a Houston Alexander. He’s facing an equally skilled fighter (not in all the same aspects) who’s much more explosive and aggressive. This should be a real battle that will likely not make it to the final bell. Meaning no decision, no judges and most likely no win for Machida. There are a couple of options for a bet on this fight, including an over/under but with a finisher fighting a point scorer you have better probabilities just making a straight bet.
Prediction: Sokoujou via technical knockout
Melvin Guillard (-260) vs. Rich Clementi (+200)
Well, I don’t have much to say about this fight.
These two have nearly a 100 fights between them and they’re both pretty set in their styles. I’ve never been too big of a Clementi fan. I think he’s competitive against B-level fighters and struggles against well-trained athletes, getting outworked and outclassed.
Guillard is by all standards a much better and more effective fighter. His real downside in this or any fight has been his inconsistency. He’s prone to mental mistakes that have left us all shaking our heads. However, expect him to come out with a vengeance in this fight because of his recent suspension. He has more on the line than Clementi that’s for sure and the striking contrast in speed and power will be very evident in this fight.
With that said I’m definitely picking Melvin to win but with his ability to screw up at any given minute I’m not willing to play with odds (-260).
Prediction: Guillard via technical knockout
Eddie Sanchez (-140) vs. Soa Palalei (+110)
I remember the first time I saw Sanchez fight back in September 2006. He knocked out Mario Neto and said he’d knockout any heavyweight in the world he could get his hands on.
Unfortunately, he never quite got his hands on Mirko Cro Cop at UFC 67.
In what looked like a child running from his father’s belt, Sanchez suffered the first loss of his career, as well as a real loss of confidence. Now working to regain some steam, Sanchez has worked his way through a difficult fight with Colin Robinson and now finds himself facing a very similar opponent in Soa Palalei.
Palalei’s been very quiet for the last three years with only one pro fight in 2007. He has stepped up his training spending valuable time with Henderson and his band of merry men at Team Quest. “The Hulk” has a comparable style to Sanchez with both of these fighters being very aggressive and naturally strong. His training partners claim he’s very well rounded, but I’d have to say his one big advantage in this fight is simply his training. Being in the ring day after day with Henderson, Soukodjou and some ridiculously huge heavyweights is a luxury Sanchez is not afforded.
This is a tough fight to call because of Palalei’s recent inactivity, but I’m going to pick him to win this one. As far as a bet goes there are too many unknowns for me so I’ll just sit back and enjoy the fight.
Prediction: Palaei via technical knockout
That about does it for this installment of betting tips and advice. For the rest of the UFC 79 line up click here.
Remember to bet smart.
Betting is not for everyone. But if you want to take a stab at it head over to BetUs.com (Get a FREE $75 play with a deposit of $200 and a FREE $175 play with a deposit of $500 or more) or to compare competitive MMA lines visit Bodog.com.
Enjoy the fights and good luck.

UFC 79: Nemesis- Fight & Betting Line Analysis
[SIZE=-1]by Matt Corenzwit
BetOnFighting.Com Staff Writer[/SIZE]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MMA Odds Maker Nick Kalikas and www.BetOnfighting.com have released this weekends Official UFC 79 "Nemesis" Odds.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bringing in the New Year this weekend is one of the better cards of all of 2007. Not only are we treated to a Welterweight title re-match featuring the two consensus top 170 lb. fighters, but also the grudge match we have been promised for years: Chuck Vs. Wandy! Also featured on the card are a battle of two of the top 205 lb. fighters you may not know & some potential slugfests ranging from 155’ers to 255’ers. It promises to be a very productive holiday season, let’s take a closer look at the fights![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MAIN CARD[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Georges St. Pierre (-240) Vs. Matt Hughes (+190)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Matt Hughes Vs. Matt Serra title fight had been built up for months. It was disappointing for many TUF-5 viewers, after seeing the two opposing coaches banter about for weeks on end, when injury forced Serra off of the card.
gsp308x457.png
The disappointment was, however, short-lived. Replacing the New-Yorker on the most anticipated card of the year is none other than the very man Serra upset: Georges “Rush” St. Pierre!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ordinarily, the prospect of a +190 price on Matt Hughes would be a dream-come-true. That is, unless, his opponent is GSP. The 9-time champion, Hughes), is an absolute tank of a fighter. His submission game has grown by leaps and bounds, and his wrestling/takedowns are equaled by select few mixed martial artists. The French-Canadian just so happens to be one of them. GSP is still one of the sport’s finer pound-for-pound fighters. He is a master of every crucial aspect of the game, and as such, does everything as well or better than Hughes. The fluke-loss to Serra was the best thing that could happen for him, as he will never underestimate an opponent again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matt Hughes and his supporters in this fight will tell you that GSP will struggle in the upcoming fight due to a shortened training camp. That, at best, is clutching at straws. St. Pierre trains year-round and the only two major changes he makes going into a fight are dieting and specific opponent preparation. Having fought Hughes twice already, there is little worry about the latter. In a sport where anything can and does happen, it is not beyond the stretch of imagination for Hughes to regain his title. That said, on paper, there is no way for Hughes to win. This weekend’s Main Event is my top pick of the night, especially if you can bet GSP closer to -200.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wanderlei Silva (-125) Vs. Chuck Liddell (-105)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Finally.” No word or phrase can describe the looming grudge match that takes place on Saturday more appropriately than that. Granted, the fight would have had more allure & anticipation if it happened a couple years ago, when Wandy dominated PrideFC and Chuck reigned over the UFC. That doesn’t change the fact that Chuck & Wandy have an immense rivalry extending several years. Even though the two Hall of Fame worthy 205 lb.’ers have taken backwards steps in 2007, the fight itself may very well be the explosion we’ve all hoped it will be.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
7848.jpg
The game plan is unlikely to ever change for the “Ice Man”, in that Liddell will look to stand and trade with anyone in the Light Heavyweight division. An unorthodox striker and counter-puncher, Liddell also boasts some of the better takedown defense in the sport. Wanderlei’s style, like that of fellow Chute Box fighters, Mauricio & Murilo Rua, is best described as “Aggression Personified.” Although he boasts a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, he rarely looks to take the fight to the floor. Instead, he relies on devastating looping punches and arguably the best knees in the sport.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hardly anyone expects this fight to go the distance, as neither man is likely to back down in the least. At 38 years old, Chuck seems to be slowing down & has had difficulty each time he’s faced a prominent striker over the last several years. As such, as appalling as the idea of Liddell dropping three straight fights is, it’s exactly what I expect to happen. Wanderlei will also be vehemently intent on making a good impression in his long-awaited return to the UFC. Whenever Chuck fights, he is a viable threat to anyone, but I’m picking Silva to win. He will be the aggressor from the opening bell and likely control the center of the cage for as long as the fight lasts.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lyoto Machida (-130) Vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (even)[/FONT]

icfcmethodgetw550cs1s93098C6B-1422-.jpg
Topping off the trio of premier fights is a clash between two of the better Light Heavies in the business. The casual fan may not yet fathom just what Machida & “Judo-Terry” bring to the table, but they will learn first hand on Saturday. Machida’s unblemished record consists of a 3-0 mark in the UFC, along with victories over such household names as Rich Franklin, Stephan Bonnar, B.J. Penn, and most recently, Kazuhiro Nakamura. A calculating fighter, he has been criticized for not being aggressive enough in the past, en route to several consecutive decision victories. “The African Assassin” fights out of Team Quest, and boasts an extensive Judo background & explosive knockout power.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Following the collapse of Pride, Sokoudjou was one of the premier free agents, and the UFC is fortunate to have him. He pulled off the biggest upset (odds-wise) in major MMA history when he knocked out Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (the twin brother of the UFC’s own Anotnio Rodrigo Nogueira). Proving it was not a fluke, he proceeded to stuff the takedowns of stalwart top-ten fighter & Nogueira’s teammate, Ricardo Arona, before knocking out his second straight elite opponent. Machida, however, should finally test Sokoudjou’s resolve and conditioning this Saturday. While it may not be the most exciting style, I believe his precision striking and overall abilities will fuel Lyoto one step closer to a UFC title shot. If “Judo Terry” can score another fast knockout, there will be no doubt in anyone’s mind that he is here to stay, but I don’t see Machida making the same mistakes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Melvin Guillard (-240) Vs. Rich Clementi (+190)[/FONT]

icfcmethodgetcs1sE5E78F71-1422-0E8C.jpg
Representing the Lightweights on Saturday are the explosive & hard-hitting Melvin Guillard and Rich “No-Love” Clementi. It may come as something of a shock, but the two young fighters combine for 99 professional MMA bouts. As such, having each tasted victory and defeat in the UFC, neither fighter will be overwhelmed going into the fight. A serious clash in styles will be very apparent as soon as the fighters touch gloves. Guillard packs as much muscle & striking power onto a 155 lb. frame as is humanly possible, and he will try to avoid the ground game as much as he can. Clementi, while ordinarily a competent striker in his own right, will not look to exchange on the feet if he can avoid doing so. Rich’s perceived advantage undoubtedly resides on the mat. That said, Guillard is the superior wrestler, and as such should be able to keep the fight in his realm, on his feet.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Soa Palelei (-155) Vs. Eddie Sanchez (+125)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The evening’s sole Heavyweight tilt is the least
7818.jpg
likely fight to go to the judges, as neither fighter has ever gone to decision. While either man possesses the innate ability to put his opponent to sleep, the experience edge has to go to Sanchez, who will look to extend his UFC record to 3-1 on Saturday. Palelei’s highest profile fight came in PrideFC back in 2004, and after a lackluster performance and his first MMA loss, the Australian took a three year break from the sport. As we have seen, even the most experienced fighters tend to struggle in their UFC debuts. I expect no exception this Saturday, in what ordinarily would be perceived as a coin-flip, the better value certainly lies with Sanchez.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UNDER CARD[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Luis Cane (-180) Vs. James Irvin (+150)[/FONT]

icfcmethodgetw550cs1s06C4AD5E-1422-.jpg
Luis Cane is welcomed to the UFC by veteran James Irvin in what could very well be one of the more entertaining bouts of the evening. Irvin has been itching to get back into the cage since busting his knee in an obscure injury just one minute into his bout with Thiago Silva last May. He will have his hands full, however, in the person of Luis Cane, an unbeaten Muay-Thai practitioner with a penchant for ending fights quickly. Similarly to the Sanchez-Palelei fight, the octagon shock could affect Cane in his debut, as this will be a huge step up in competition & a much bigger stage than anything he has experienced before. That, coupled with Irvin’s own striking abilities, is alarming to say the least. Cane may very well live up to the hype, but from a bettor’s standpoint, Irvin is the better value at +150.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manny Gamburyan (-400) Vs. Nate Mohr (+320)[/FONT]

icfcmethodgetw550cs1s63E454A2-1422-.jpg
Manvel “The Anvil” makes his return following a recurring shoulder injury that cost him the TUF 5 Lightweight crown, and will be a difficult man to contain. Standing in his way is the very athletic & talented standup fighter, Nate Mohr. Frankly, on paper, this match up is a nightmare for Mohr, who will try to keep the fight standing. Gamburyan, like his cousin, Karo Parisyan, is the kind of in-your-face fighter who never lets you get comfortable. Mohr had better prepare to fight off of his back or somehow manage a reversal, because Manny will put him there as soon as the fight begins. Either via decision or submission, Gamburyan is the likely victor, so long as he doesn’t re-injure his shoulder.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dean Lister (-350) Vs. Jordan Radev (+280)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lister makes his return to the UFC after a prolonged absence
icfcmethodgetcs1s92018451-1422-0E8C.jpg
due to a torn bicep following his January fight with Nate Marquardt, while Radev looks to prove that his 30-second knockout loss at the hands of Drew McFedries was an anomaly. Dean has never looked comfortable standing, but is equaled by few on the mat, where he boasts an elite submission acumen warranting respect from any opponent. Radev is still a bit of an unknown to those on the west side of the Atlantic, but what we do know is that he is a heavy puncher with a wrestling background. Such a style could very well fall right into Lister’s world, should Radev choose to take the fight to the ground. Short of finding Lister beneath the -300 range, it’s difficult to handicap this fight, with so little known of Radev.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Roan Carneiro (-155) Vs. Tony DeSouza (+125)[/FONT]

icfcmethodgetw550cs1sC98E50FB-1422-.jpg
In what may very well be the most technical fight of the night, a pair of BJJ experts face off in what could turn out as a stalemate of sorts. Neither fighter is particularly adept on his feet, but Carneiro is likely the stronger fighter & should have a takedown advantage, at least early on in the fight. A master of arm-triangles & guillotine chokes, expect Carneiro to relentlessly attempt them on each and every scramble. DeSouza is no stranger to the submission game, however, and is capable of finishing the fight from any position on the mat. Tony will quickly capitalize if Roan tires, as he did against Jon Fitch this summer. It could be argued that DeSouza is the better value at +125 in what many see as a pick’em, but I expect Carneiro to maintain the top position for the majority of the fight and take the decision.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Doug Evans (-120) Vs. Mark Bocek (-110)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While I am admittedly biased towards the Lightweights, this fight will speak for itself and
icfcmethodgetw550cs1s63CD4F42-1422-.jpg
hopefully make the air on Saturday. Bocek is one of the more accomplished North American grapplers competing in MMA today. Were this purely a submission grappling match, he would be the favorite, and rightly so. This is, however, MMA, and as the saying goes: “punch a black belt in the face and he becomes a brown belt.” Evans shocked most of us when he handled one of the UFC’s top contenders for the first round of his last fight, against Roger Huerta. Until he got his bell rung and found himself face down with no viable option, he looked like he might upset the Latin superstar. A veteran of the Alaskan Fighting Championship, Evans’ abilities were clear and I expect him to handle Bocek similarly to the way Frankie Edgar did. Superior wrestling & solid submission defense are the keys to beating Bocek, and Evans has those very tools.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Franky’s Fight Analysis
[SIZE=-1]by Dave Franklin Subscribe in a reader[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UFC is planning to finish 2007 with a BANG! UFC 79 looks to be one of the most exciting cards of the year, and is less than a week away.

The main event was originally slated to be Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra, the coaches from TUF 6, for Serra's welterweight title. As everyone now knows, Matt Serra herniated a disc in his back and was forced to pull from the fight. Fortunately, Georges St. Pierre is always training, was in shape and ready to take the fight against Hughes for the interim UFC welterweight title. Also, the card includes Wanderlei Silva's re-debut in the UFC against Chuck Liddell and Rameau Sokoudjou making his UFC debut against Lyoto Machida in what could have serious title ramifications.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Undercard:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mark Bocek vs. Doug Evans: Both fighters are talented wrestlers. For each fighter, this is their second UFC fight. Both fighters are coming off losses, Bocek to Frank Edgar and Evans to Huerta. This fight will not stay on the feet long. I think that Evans is the more talented wrestler and will force Bocek to fight off his back which is not a comfortable position for any wrestler. I think this fight will go the distance with Evans taking a unanimous decision.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Roan Carneiro vs. Tony DeSouza: We haven't seen either of these fighters in the Octagon in a while. Once again both fighters are coming off of losses. Carneiro was able to take one of UFC's top welterweights, Jon Fitch to a decision while DeSouza was on the wrong end of a KO to another top welterweight in Thiago Alves. DeSouza has been in Hawaii training with BJ Penn and Renato Verissimo. Carneiro trains at BTT. I think that Carneiro will not be able to submit DeSouza forcing this fight to go the distance with DeSouza taking the win.

Jordan Radev vs. Dean Lister: Radev, a Bulgarian wrestler, suffered a devastating KO in his first UFC against Drew McFedries. Dean Lister is a world-class grappler. Just a side note here, Dean Lister is opening a new gym here in San Diego on January 2nd you can check it out at The Throwdown. I think that this fight will go a little bit longer than Radev's first UFC fight, but I see Lister finishing this fight by submission.

Nate Mohr vs. Manny Gamburyan: Karo Parisyan's cousin is appearing in his first fights since losing in the finals of TUF 5
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]against Nate Diaz, . In that fight, Gamburyan unfortunately suffered a dislocated shoulder. Nate Mohr's talent is in his hands but all four of his losses have come via submission. Look for Manny to get a nice judo throw and finish this fight on the ground by submission.

Luis Cane vs. James Irvin: Cane is making his UFC debut with a perfect MMA record, he's talented Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner. James Irvin is making his return to the UFC since blowing his knee out against Thiago Silva. Both fighters are aggressive. The stand-up edge goes to Cane with his Muay Thai. On the ground, the advantage again goes to Cane. I think that this fight gets stopped with Irvin suffering a TKO.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Maincard: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is where it gets good...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Soa Palelei vs. Eddie Sanchez: Soa "The Hulk" Palelei is a Team Quest member fighting out of Temecula, CA. Palelei is big even by heavyweight standards, standing at 6'4 and weighing at the maximum 265 lbs for the heavyweight weight-class. His only loss came when he made his debut on the big stage at Pride 28 against Mu Bae Choi. Palelei's strength are his striking and his power. Training at Team Quest with Dan Henderson, The Hulk is likely to be well rounded.

Eddie Sanchez, in my opinion, had a gimme win in his last fight against Colin Robinson. Before that fight, Sanchez was sacrificed as Cro Cop's first victim in what has turned out to be a disappointing UFC plan. Sanchez is also from Temecula, CA but trains at North County Fight Club in San Diego. Eddie has a strong right hand and a strong head.

Two aggressive strikers, both looking to throw a fight-ending right. I think for the first few minutes of the first round, both of these fighters are going feel each other out wanting to win with a KO. After the feeling out process, I look for Palelei to take Sanchez down and finish the fight with a TKO.

Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard: Some bad blood between the two Louisiana natives. But hey, what a surprise it is Melvin Guillard after all. Remember his last fight when he accused Joe Stevenson of using HGH only to be defeated in 27 seconds and test positive for cocaine?

Both of these fighters have a ton of experience. Clementi has a 37-12-1 record while Guillard holds a 39-7-3 record. Guillard is an explosive striker while Clementi looks more for his well-roundedness to win his fights.

I see Melvin Guillard throwing his name into the 155 lbs. mix after knocking Clementi out. Rich Clementi is going to try and push the fight thinking Guillard will crumble, but will get caught with The Young Assassins hands.

Lyoto Machida vs. Rameau Sokoudjou: This fight might have some serious title implications. Machida is undefeated in 11 MMA fights including wins over BJ Penn, Stephan Bonnar, and Rich Franklin. Machida is a very smart fighter, but in his three fights in the UFC, he has been unable to finish a single fight.

Sokoudjou is a world champion judoka but after seeing his last two fights, you wouldn't believe it. In Pride, Sokoudjou was a huge underdog when he was brought in to fight Antonio Rogerio Noguiera. The surprise ending to that fight came at just 23 seconds of the first round when Sokoudjou knocked Noguiera out. Then, Noguiera's teammate and fellow Brazilian stepped up to get redemption for him. Arona's attempt was thwarted at 1:59 of the first round when he suffered the same fate as his teammate. Training out of Temecula with Team Quest, Sokoudjou has great teammates including Dan Henderson.

In this fight, I think that we are going to see Sokoudjou pushed to use his other talents besides striking. I think that Machida will do what he does best by negating his opponent's strengths, forcing this fight to go to decision with Machida winning and getting into title contention. If Sokoudjou wins, he ought to consider a nickname change from The African Assassin to The Brazilian Killa.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell: This match would have been so much more relevant about a year and a half ago. At that point, both of these fighters were at the top of the heap in the light heavyweight division. Wanderlei held the Pride middleweight title and Chuck was the UFC light heavyweight champ. Now, both of these fighters are coming off of consecutive losses and are looking to grab onto what is left of their careers.

Wanderlei is making his re-debut in the UFC. His last fight in the UFC was in 2000 when he dropped a unanimous decision to Tito Ortiz for the title. He moved to Pride and made a name for himself and for Chute Boxe. Now that he is returning, Wanderlei has move to the US and has left Chute Boxe to train with Xtreme Couture.

This fight is going to be fought mostly on the feet. Wanderlei is an aggressive Muay Thai striker while Chuck tends to be more of a counter-puncher. I see Wanderlei pushing into Chuck with his aggressive striking and Chuck backing off and catching Wanderlei with his patented looping right and scoring the KO. Wanderlei needs to get in close and clinch with Chuck and throw knees, but I just don't see that happening.

Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre: The rubber match. You can see my thoughts about this fight here.

GSP has shown some of the greatest takedown defense in MMA. He has stopped Sean Sherk's and Josh Kosheck's takedowns. Koscheck's takedowns are some of the best in the game. He shoots through his opponents and drives them back, GSP defended them with ease. Matt Hughes has different takedowns. He shoots in, secures a single or double leg, then picks his opponents up. That kind of takedown is much harder to defend. St. Pierre took this fight on short notice, but has said that he was already training. Hughes has to take GSP down to win this fight. Will GSP be able to defend Hughes takedowns?

Hughes tried to show his improved stand-up in his last fight with GSP. I don't truly believe that. I think he was waiting for the hole to try a takedown and it never came. He tried once but was unsuccessful. Hughes has said in interviews that he has gone back to his roots for this fight, wrestling and hard work. After watching the videos that were made available of Hughes UFC 79 training, I don't believe that either. Water basketball anyone???
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also of note, is that only one fighter holds 2 wins over Hughes. Dennis Hallman has not only defeated Hughes twice, but has done it in a combined time of 37 seconds! Will GSP be the second person to hold 2 wins over Hughes?

If St. Pierre has truly changed his mental game, he will win this fight. He may take Hughes down and make him work off his back much like he did to Koscheck. I think a better plan is what I outlined in my other article. I am still taking GSP, but I can't decide if he will finish the fight or take it all the way to a decision.

Did you know, that Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell both hold the record for number of wins in the UFC? Hughes and Liddell stand at 15 wins, both are shooting for win number 16 to finish out 2007. Will either one of them get it?
[/FONT]

UFC 79 quick preview, analysis and predictions

ufc68predictions.jpg

UFC 79: “Nemesis” is set for tomorrow (Saturday) night on December 29 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The pay-per-view (PPV) event airs at 10 p.m. ET.
Remember: MMAmania.com will provide LIVE updates and blow-by-blow, round-by-round commentary of the main card action throughout the telecast. It promises to be a great discussion as usual for an amazing line up of fights.
To get us pumped for the festivities MMAmania.com contributor Jesse Holland and site veteran “C-War,” went toe-to-toe below to try and predict the fighters who will leave the Octagon with their hands raised tomorrow evening.
It’s important to note for the predictions that while someone may be lauding a certain fighter, he isn’t necessarily the guy who he thinks is going to win. Basically, we never want this to come out sounding repetitive. At the end of each analysis, therefore, you will see the individual picks.
Let’s get to it:

Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell (20-5) vs. Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva (31-7-1)
MMAmania reader “C-War”: The fight we have all been waiting for has finally come. If this fight were to happen a year ago, would you predict a different victor than whom you would think to win now? Both were once at the top of the food chain in the 205lb division, and now both are coming off 2 consecutive losses. Liddell isn’t a very happy guy when he loses, so I believe him to now be twice as mad. I think both fighters want to keep this fight standing. Even though he has proven to be defeated, you are always taking a risk when you want to stand with Liddell, no matter who you are. Actually, the same could be said for Silva. I don’t expect this fight to last past the second round with the amount of KO power being brought in from both sides. Someone’s gonna take a nap.
Jesse Holland: A lot of fans have been coming down hard on the timing of the Liddell/Silva fight but to me it couldn’t have happened at a more apropos time. Have the stakes ever been higher for either fighter? Critics are also pointing to the two consecutive losses of each fighter and while it’s not the ideal situation it does create an even playing field. Silva’s fury can create problems for the Iceman ala Liddell/Jackson 1 and his clinch is the stuff of legend. But by the same token Wandy has a tendency to be a little more reckless in his offense. Chuck of course is a dangerous counter puncher and if he’s able to weather the storm I can see him ending it via strikes in Round 2. There is no point in going crazy trying to analyze this fight. It’s going to be one-dimensional and for once that’s not such a bad thing. Whoever hits the hardest with the most accuracy is going to take it. I happen to think it’s going to be Liddell.
Final Predictions:
C-War: Liddell via knockout
Jesse Holland: Liddell via technical knockout
Matt Hughes (41-5) vs. Georges “Rush” St. Pierre (14-2)
MMAmania reader “C-War”: Two of the most accomplished mix martial artists enter the octagon once again. I know we have anticipated a Hughes-Serra fight for a while now, but the bout between these two was bound to happen sooner or later again anyways. St. Pierre is the more athletic of the two, but Hughes isn’t far behind him while carrying the strength advantage. GSP looked very good in his last fight, but Hughes won’t be as timid as Koscheck was, and will test him quite a bit more. You could look at this fight from so many different angles and there’s almost no way to predict a winner. So, I’m going with my gut instinct here and picking Hughes to win because I believe he’s on a mission. I think Serra has lit a new fire in Hughes and I don’t see it burning out before December 29. I love St. Pierre but someone has to lose here. I’m just sorry it has to be him. GSP will eat some GnP.
Jesse Holland: Some of MMA’s top stars fell victim to the upset bug in 2007. Had GSP been the only one than perhaps I could be a little more critical of his loss to Serra. While that loss was a tough pill to swallow, it does not diminish the reign of terror he inflicted on the welterweight division including his dismantling of then-champion Hughes at UFC 65. Is GSP the better fighter? My personal opinion is that he could be the greatest fighter of our generation if he could only conquer his psychological demons. I don’t expect him to walk through Hughes as easily as he did in 2006, but he’s still the more complete fighter and should dominate most of the fight. No question Hughes will employ a more controlled and methodical pace, but St. Pierre will have an answer for every attack.
Final Predictions:
C-War: Hughes via technical knockout
Jesse Holland: GSP via unanimous decision
Rich “No Love” Clementi (29-12-1) vs. Melvin “Young Assassin” Guillard (20-6-2)
MMAmania reader “C-War”: Clementi is going to have his hands full for this fight, that’s all of the advice I can give him. After a very long suspension, Guillard has finally returned. He is going to be full of Power, full of determination, full of will, and hopefully NOT full of cocaine (Let’s pray that wasn’t his source of energy). From what I know, Guillard and Clementi hate each other with a passion. But if Guillard can keep his anger in control, and keep out of the danger zone he sometimes likes to put himself in, he will end this in the first round by a vicious knockout. Guillard’s real weakness has been underestimating his opponents, but I give Guillard the right to drive a steam roller into the octagon this time and just ride it right over Clementi. It might be less painful for him that way.
Jesse Holland: It’s a battle of the bayou brothers and to be honest this is a hard one to call. On paper it looks like an easy fight for Guillard (who hits as hard as any lightweight) but his loss to Stevenson and subsequent suspension for white lighting gives me pause. Clementi is experienced and knows how to finish fights but he may not be able to handle Guillard’s intensity. Of Melvin’s six losses, five have come via submission. This has got to be something that Clementi is training for and the real question is will Guillard be able to defend the sub? He may not need to if his striking is sharp but again the layoff comes into question. Clementi needs to stay on the outside, avoid Melvin’s range and wait for a mistake - assuming he can survive the first round.
Final Predictions:
C-War: Guillard via knockout
Jesse Holland: Guillard via technical knockout
Rameau Thierry “The African Assassin” Sokoudjou (4-1) vs. Lyoto Machida (11-0)
MMAmania reader “C-War”:This fight just tops off a very well put together card. I don’t like predicting a winner of this match, because I have very high hopes for both fighters, so I know my “anticipated” thoughts for at least one of them will end up being shattered. Sokoudjou is extremely powerful and talented, knocking out a few of the top names in PRIDE (Arona and Nogueira). Some think he is the next name that will make his way to the top of contention in the UFC 205-pound division. The only problem is, Machida is in the way. Machida has yet to be defeated, and is one of the best, if not THE best, technical fighters in the game. The African Assassin will be the aggressor in this fight, which leads exactly to Machida’s bread and butter, the counter punch. His style has proven to be very effective against the toughest of opponents, and I don’t think that trend is going to change any time soon.
Jesse Holland: Sokoudjou made a name for himself by knocking out two respectable opponents in PRIDE but like Houston Alexander before him, what happens when KO power is not enough? Judo be damned according to Sokoudjou, who’s fought a total of two and a half minutes in the past year. Machida on the other hand makes a living out of going to the scorecards - and stifling opponents. Though not a finisher, Machida is a very skilled fighter and going 11-0 with wins over Rich Franklin and BJ Penn is no easy feat. It’s also important to note that Sokoudjou was stopped via strikes as recently as October of 2006 by Glover Teixeira who is not anywhere near the striker that Machida is. Lyoto does not have to do anything differently than he’s done in the past to win. All he needs to do is simple be the better striker - which I believe he is.
Final Predictions:
C-War: Machida via unanimous decision
Jesse Holland: Machida via technical knockout
Eddie Sanchez (7-1) vs. Soa “The Hulk” Palalei (8-1)
MMAmania reader “C-War”: Maybe this bout made the main card to give Liddell/Silva a little televised competition for KO of the night. Although, I still will not be able to stop thinking about why I’m not seeing Dean Lister or James Irvin as this fight goes on, I’ll still make the most of it. Both guys have won most of their fights by KO or TKO, so they will most likely keep it standing. I also see Sanchez being the aggressor of the two, and possibly getting the best of the exchanges. These two guys remind me of a can of Natural Light. It will never be as good as a Bud, but it’ll always still be on the shelf next to it.
Jesse Holland: Eddie Sanchez is probably best known for his mambo against Mirko Cro Cop at UFC 67 and that’s a shame because he happens to be a hard-hitting heavyweight with a ton of potential. He faces a heavyweight who like himself was a rising star a few years ago. Palelei is coming off a flash KO win back in October but prior to that hasn’t fought in three years after losing to Mu Bae Choi in PRIDE. He’s aligned himself with Team Quest which is of course a good thing but his inactivity will hurt him against the busier Sanchez. Palelei also has to drop a lot of weight to make 265 so I question not only his gas tank but his overall conditioning. It may not matter much since both fighters are looking for the KO. For my money Sanchez has the better chance of getting it.
Final Predictions:
C-War: Sanchez via knockout
Jesse Holland: Sanchez via knockout

GSP is a far superior athlete and will take care of business tonight via TKO in round 3 .

His training is like no other and is very hungry to get the title back.
Hughes is stronger and very experienced and will hang around in the early rounds but that is about it.

My bets:

GSP (-230) 3 units
Guillard (-230) 4 units
Irvin (+160 ) 1 unit
Mohr (+345) 1 unit nice value here.Usually one nice upset on a UFC card

Liked Silva but now rethinking this fight so might just sit back and enjoy.What are your thoughts on this fight?
<!-- / message -->

Liddell fading quickly in this sport he once dominated...the one punch macho thing does not work in the UFC anymore...long as Silva has little ring rust he should kill.

GSP should take care of Hughes in the first round...3 or 4 mins in with a standup game.

Liddell fading quickly in this sport he once dominated...the one punch macho thing does not work in the UFC anymore...long as Silva has little ring rust he should kill.

GSP should take care of Hughes in the first round...3 or 4 mins in with a standup game.

I think Silva has more skill set than Liddell, but I think Liddell still has enough to get a few more (T)KO's. I think this will be one of them. Silva's style, IMO, is made for Liddell. Kind of reckless abandonment, come right at you. The question is....can Silva get past Liddell's counterpunching? That is what Liddell does best. Jardine was/is a terrible matchup for Chuck. Now if Silva can get in close to Liddell and get him in the clinch then Chuck is in major trouble. But I dont think he will be able to.

I didnt play this fight so it is wasy for me to sit here make a pick, but I do think Liddell gets the "W" tonight.

respect your thoughts...just think Silva is a bigger draw then Liddell at this point and Mr. White has Silva seeing red all over CHuckie...should be worth the price.

Out of all the good things I could say about last night, I am going to say bad things. And that is Guillard is a total fucking loser. I hope to never see that POS in th ecage again. All the skill in the World, but nothing in his head to go with it. Turns into a Billy Badass AFTER he taps!! You quite the fight by tapping and then all of a sudden you become a tough guy. POS

Out of all the good things I could say about last night, I am going to say bad things. And that is Guillard is a total fucking loser. I hope to never see that POS in th ecage again. All the skill in the World, but nothing in his head to go with it. Turns into a Billy Badass AFTER he taps!! You quite the fight by tapping and then all of a sudden you become a tough guy. POS
:cheers:

- Chuck Liddell, the UFC’s former light heavyweight champion who defeated Wanderlei Silva Saturday at UFC 79, earned a reported base salary of $500,000 for the victory. Liddell could earn hundreds of thousands of dollars more in sponsorship money and “locker-room” bonuses the UFC traditionally gives to fighters. Those amounts are never officially reported but can equal a fighters’ reported pay in the cases of some of the organization’s top fighters. Silva, who dropped a unanimous-decision to Liddell in what was his first UFC fight in seven years, earned a reported $150,000 in the loss.

- Georges St. Pierre, who defeated Matt Hughes and picked up the UFC’s interim welterweight title in the night’s main event, earned $160,000 (half of which was a win bonus). Hughes earned $100,000 and would have doubled it with a win.

- Lyoto Machida got $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) for his victory over UFC newcomer Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, who earned $40,000. Sokoudjou could have earned an additional $40,000 with a win.

- Eddie Sanchez earned $50,000 for Knockout of the Night. Sanchez, who defeated heavyweight UFC newcomer Soa Palelei with a third-round TKO, topped Roan Carneiro for the award. Carneiro scored the night’s only other knockout when he halted Tony DeSouza with a series of strikes in the second round of their preliminary fight.

- Georges St. Pierre earned $50,000 for Submission of the Night Bonus.
St. Pierre, who defeated Matt Hughes with a second-round arm-bar submission to earn the UFC’s interim welterweight title, will add the $50,000 bonus to his reported base salary of $160,000.

- Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva each earned $50,000 for Fight of the Night at Saturday’s UFC 79 event.

UFC 79 took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and aired live on pay-per-view. The event drew 11,075 attendees for a $4.9 million gate.

LOL

Didn't post any plays for this card my only strong lean would have been to take Matchida and maybe GSP. When I first saw Chuck Wandy at even odds I though Wandy had a lot of value but later considering his fight style, Chuck seemed like a bad opponent for him so I layed off. The wandy chuck fight was great and GSP looked amazing.

Probably didnt post anything for UFC 79 because I was still annoyed that Guido lost to Hueta lol (which i think was a fluke though Huerta looked better than ever). Overall UFC record for 2007 12-10-1 +23.13units, looking forward to 2008. I plan on being more active in 2008.

If I would ever see this guy out I will "moon" him, PROMISE. He will see my big, hairy ass. Man, I hate this guy.

UFC Quick Quote: Denile just ain’t a river in Egypt, Melvin

<SMALL class=metadata>By: MMAmania </SMALL>
melvin-guillard.jpg

“… everybody with their own eyes saw he [Rich Clementi] wasn’t ready to stand up with me [at UFC 79]. He knew my weakness was my submission game as far as fighting him because he’s a seasoned jiu-jitsu guy — I’ll give him that. As far as me putting my hands on him, I got my respect out of him. So, I’m not even tripping, you know?… He really didn’t [win the fight]. He didn’t take my heart. I took his heart before he got in the ring. He was scared to fight me before he got in the ring. And, it’s like I tell everybody – and I’m going to keep saying it – when I see him again, I’m going to fight him again. When I get ready to go home for Mardi Gras, he just knows not to be seen. I went home for New Years and the places he wants to go, he wasn’t even there. He knew I was going to be there looking for him. He never showed up anywhere. As long as he keeps hiding from me, running from me, I’m winning the war every day. Eventually, we’ll get another rematch in the UFC …”
– Melvin Guillard talks about Rich Clementi via the Baltimore Sun after he lost via first round submission at UFC 79: “Nemesis” on December 29, 2007. The two Louisiana natives didn’t like each other very much before the fight and not much has changed since. Definitely read this entire interview if you have the chance … Melvin certainly does not charge per word. He also reveals that he plans to take a few fights outside the Octagon to get back on track in 2008.

Back