UFC 76

mutosufan

Fiance made him quit gambling
It is a little over a week away. A lot of people have given up on this event, mainly because the lack of a title fight and the main event is pretty bland. But this is a nice card. Unlike most, I think Forrest wins. And I think it will be bloody on both guys. The Fitch/Sanchez fight should be crazy! Nakamura/Machida should also be very good. Not that familiar with either, only have seen a couple fights each. And the Tavares/Griffin fight has fight of the year. This one should be phenomenal!

http://76.ufc.com/

muto, can u post a list of the fight card please...

apparently my work doesn't like ufc.com

Here you go:

<TABLE id=maincard cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle>Main Event:</TH></TR><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 475px" align=middle>Chuck Liddell (20-4) vs. Keith Jardine (12-3-1)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Undercard:
<TABLE id=undercard cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle width=67>205 lbs.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-2) vs. Forrest Griffin (14-4)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67>170 lbs.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Diego Sanchez (17-1) vs. Jon Fitch (14-2)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67>205 lbs.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Ryoto Machida (10-0) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (11-6)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67>155 lbs.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Tyson Griffin (9-1) vs. Thiago Tavares (13-0)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67>155 lbs.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Matt Wiman (7-3) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (4-3)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67>155 lbs.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Diego Saraiva (9-5-1) vs. Jeremy Stephens (9-2)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67>Hvywt.</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left>Justin McCully (8-3-2) vs. Christian Wellisch (7-3)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE id=maincard cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 475px" align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=undercard cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left> </TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle width=67></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 387px" align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What a joke having Chuck as the main event. Lookin forward to seeing Sanchez again, since that last loss was BS.

Wow, you really think Forrest wins? I hope you're right, because I would love to get a bet down on him considering he should be a pretty significant dog.

Does this have anything to do with Henderson and Cro Cop losing and Pride's fighters not having that much success in the UFC?

Last edited:
Well don't forget Rampage used to be Pride as well and he's having great success in the UFC. Cro Cop is a lot better then he has shown. For his UFC 75 bout he broke a rib in the first round which impacted his stamina for the entire bout, but excuses aside he is still a lot better then he has shown in his last 2 bouts. I would love to see Forrest win but think he will be up against it against a very good fighter in Rua. Should be a hell of a brawl tho and be the highlight match of the entire card.

Marcus, true about CC. He is SO much better than what has been put on display in he UFC. Really sad, IMO.

Dystopia, yes I 100% do! This is one where I am not even rethinking the side I am on. Not saying that Griffin cant lose or he we walk away with it at all. But I have been over this fight for quite some time now. This is my basis. And it doesnt have anything to do with the lack of success that former PRIDE fighters are having. Though I use it to "sexy" the pick up a little.

1.) While fighting in Japan there were numerous steroid rumors going around about him. Several camps made that claim. If true he wont be using them here. If you watch the promovideo, and I dont know if that was taken 3 months ago before training or not, but he has a gut on him. I cant wait to see the weigh-ins!

2.) 1st fight in the cage. Rampage said that he had never been nervous before a fight, but in his 1st fight in the UFC he said his knees were almost touchin one another they were shaking so hard. Some counter with the fact that he has fought in the cage before and it is no big deal. Ask Cro Cop if it is different! Look at what the fighters from PRIDE have been saying!

3.) Rua's "finishing" move was head kicks and stomps. Cant do it here. In no way I am saying he will not be able to finish now. But his favorite and most comfortable strike on a downed opponent is gone.

4.) Rua's defense needs to improve. If Griffin has the same chances that Minutoro (sp?) had, Griffin will (T)KO him. Minutoro peppered him all night, but just dosnt have much power.

5.) And if you can make a muay thai fighter back peddle, which is what Griffin said he is going to do, his knees become less dangerous. It will be interesting to see Rua get pushed around and how he then reacts.

6.) Think about it. Couture came out of retirement and called out Sylvia. Griffin calls out Rua the #1 ranked LHW in the world that most mma fans swing rom his genital area, he asks for this fight! Couture is training Griffin. Couture sees something that Griffin can exploit. He will have a great gameplan. It will be up to him to stick with it.

I feel, if what Forest says he is going to do he actually does, he will push Rua into the cage all night long. If he knees with his back on the cage, Griffin will take him down. He will use his leverage and strength to control him right there. The ropes are not the cage. Why did Henderson try to take 'Page into the cage every chance he got? I screamed at the T.V. for him to get off the cage. It so much easier to get the takedown from that position. And if Griffin repeatedly gets the position on the cage, Rua will have a hard time to mount an offense.

mutosu are you gonna make a thread for UFN....?

regardless I have Din Thomas at +156 2 units as of now...
Still considering the Martin Leben fight...

Forrest Griffin and The Fear that makes You Fearless

By Thomas Gerbasi

The <TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>performances have already spoken volumes. Whether fighting UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn in his first professional bout, fighting in South Africa and Brazil with a dislocated shoulder and a broken arm, respectively, or going 15 torrid minutes with the likes of Tito Ortiz and Stephan Bonnar (twice), Forrest Griffin has little to prove when it comes to courage.

But then he went and asked for former PRIDE star Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua, upping the ante considerably.

“He’s one of the best in the world,” said Griffin. “That’s why I wanted to fight him.”

Most would then ask why do you want to go towards someone most fighters would shy away from fighting until the last possible moment?

“Why not?” responds Griffin. “I’ve watched him fight for years. I see a guy with aggression, great cardio, good jiu-jitsu, but I think there are a lot of holes and I think he can be caught. If I play fast and loose, I think I can catch him.”

As for the message board banter that sees Griffin as the high-profile sacrificial lamb for Rua’s long-awaited UFC debut?

“I don’t care,” he said. “I didn’t even think about it, to be honest.”

What Griffin has been thinking about is Rua – what he does, how he does it, and what he needs to do to nullify his significant arsenal. For the Las Vegas resident, it means a lot of hard work in the gym, something he’s accustomed to, and also some heated sparring sessions with a familiar face: Bonnar.

“It’s been good,” said Griffin of his work with the man he decisioned twice, the first time being in the classic 2005 Ultimate Fighter finale bout that skyrocketed mixed martial arts into the mainstream’s consciousness. “I really like working with Stephan. He’s a long guy, he’s got good kicks, good Thai clinch, pretty decent wrestling, real good jits, so he’s a great training partner.”

Are those sparring sessions stopping the gym, with everyone turning to watch the third episode of the Griffin-Bonnar war?

“I don’t know,” he said. “I’m too busy punching and getting punched to pay attention.”

It’s kind of fitting that the two eventually started working together, considering the fact that Griffin and Bonnar will always be considered a unit for their two bouts, as well as for all the media stops they made in tandem. And after ups and downs for both men, they’ve both landed on their feet. It must make for some interesting conversation.

“Nah, we don’t like to do anything but joke and BS,” said Griffin. “We don’t like to have real ‘life talks’. We’ll save those for mom and dad.”

All joking aside though, Griffin’s deadpan humor is only a mask for an ultra-competitive pro athlete who hates to lose and who put his law enforcement career to the side to pursue life as a fighter. And it’s not easy, when the spotlight is shining constantly and every fight is a must win. In baseball, you lose 62 times a year and you’re considered the top team in the sport; in football, six losses get you into the playoffs. In MMA, each fight is a must-win, with each loss pushing you back down the ladder. Griffin found this out the hard way when he was stopped in the first round by Keith Jardine last December. All of a sudden, to some fans he was all hype who faltered when it counted, while few remembered his effort earlier last year against former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, a fight many believed he won.

So when Griffin prepared to fight
m

hard-hitting Hector Ramirez in June, the edge was evident and the tension in his voice was noticeable. One loss is bad enough; two in a row and you start looking at the want ads. But Griffin put it all together on fight night in Belfast, decisioning Ramirez over three rounds with a disciplined performance that may not have gotten the reaction of some of his earlier brawls, but that showed the maturing of a fighter who knows that putting your head down and swinging for the fences won’t get the job done at the elite level of the sport.

“That was the gameplan and he never forced me to deviate from that, so I just felt nice and safe and stuck with what was working,” said Griffin of the Ramirez fight.

What was even nicer was getting back in the win column and back in the 205-pound mix, where fighters like Rua, Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Houston Alexander have made things a lot more interesting.

“There’s no shortage of work,” said Griffin. “It’s a good thing for me. I’d love to fight any and all of those guys.”

Win a week from Saturday, and he’ll get his chance sooner rather than later. It’s undoubtedly a big event for Rua, who wants to continue with the success he started in Japan, but it may be even bigger for Griffin, who will silence every critic with a win against a man considered to be one of the best in the game, pound for pound. And the 28-year old Georgia native is ready for anything ‘Shogun’ brings.

“You never know what’s gonna go down in there,” he said, “so I just want to make sure that I’m in good enough condition – and I am already – that no matter where this fight goes or at what tempo it goes, I can keep up.”

And he’s eager to show Rua that being in the Octagon is a lot different than fighting in PRIDE’s ring.

“It’s gonna be something I can hold him against and hold him down on, and make it hard for him to work his jiu-jitsu game with a combination of elbows and using the cage to smash him up against.” :smiley_acbe:

But when it comes down to it, Griffin’s biggest weapon on September 22nd won’t be his fists, his feet, or his heart. It will be the idea that winning is his only option, that nagging fear that losing this fight will be a ticket back to a 9 to 5 life. That’s something he can’t deal with.

“This is my job, this is the biggest thing I’ve got going on in my life,” he admits. “It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things – nobody’s gonna kill me and it’s not like I’m going into combat for the country or anything, but it’s the biggest thing going on in my little life.”

And he needs it.

“If it wasn’t for fear,” he chuckles. “I wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning.”

Chuck Liddell, Keith Jardine and Kenny Florian were on the call. Dana White was not.

UFC 76 Conference Call Notes

1. Chuck says that after his loss to Rampage he was ready to fight anyone, but that it's up to the UFC to decide who. Says Rampage had a good fight that night and he didn't. Says he was definitely ready for the fight and wouldn't have been out there if he wasn't ready to fight.

2. Chuck says even though he's a contender, nothing's really changed. He's always shooting for something better. As a contender there are more options out there to fight. He also thinks he can fight more regularly.
After being asked if his Mohawk was permanent, Chuck says he's had it since 92 and it's not going anywhere.

3. Chuck says the loss to Quinton isn't in his head and that he's been ready to fight again. Says as a fighter you have to put losses away mentally. Says if a loss bothers you then you aren't ready to fight and you can run into problems.
Chuck says there's nothing exact about the way he puts losses away. He just keeps an outlook that recognizes dwelling on losses can only hurt, not help.

4. Kenny says bringing in a full time strength and conditioning coach helped a lot. Now he's got a full training program every day, whether that's getting the proper nutrition to working out regularly.
5. Jardine says in coming back from the loss to Alexander he's had no time off. Says he was back in the training room 3 days after the loss and has been training ever since. Says he lost focus and got caught. Says in his heart he believes he wins that fight 99 times out of 100.

6. When asked who Chuck would like to fight down the road, Chuck says he's not worried about what's next until fight with Keith is over.

7. Heading into his bout with Alexander, Jardine says he lost "that excitement." He also says he does see a lot of wholes in Chuck's game, but adds that there's a difference between seeing a lot of things tape and how it actually goes in the ring.

8. Kenny responds to a question about how or if he's earned people's respect by simply saying he thinks he has, but all he was to do is keep winning fights and "keep punching through."
Says Din is skilled on the ground, trains with a great team, and that he expects Din to be very strong on the ground. Says he actually has more experience on the ground than Din. Without revealing a specific gameplan, so if he is constantly attacking then Din will be constantly defending and he believes he can get him to make a mistake or break from the pressure.

9. In explaining his loss to Rampage to his kids, Chuck says they understand. Says they've watched him fight since they were little and that they don't really care: he's just Dad to them.
Says the UFC's signing of Wanderlei Silva is great, that he's a great fighter and that he's glad he's part of the UFC light heavyweight division..

10. Responding to previous allegations that his lifestyle affected his performance at UFC 71, Chuck admits he's at the clubs, but that he's drinking water. Says he goes to bed late, but also gets up late when he's preparing for a fight. Says he doesn't drink at least a month before the fight and probably has only 3 drinks in the 3 months before a fight. Says loss to rampage had nothing to do with that fight and that he was in great shape and prepared.
Chuck says he's committed to getting the title back.

11. Chuck says he comes back from losses by getting mental focus. Says you have to know mentally you know you can comeback and that experience coming back from losses helps, but it's the outlook that matters. Dwelling on losses never help you.

12. Keith says when he got the call asking if he wanted to fight Chuck he thought it was a joke, but says he is prepared to do whatever he needed to so he can win again in the UFC.

13. Kenny says every fight is important as title shot. Doesn't know how the title shot picture is going to play out, but that "This is my title fight right now." Says there are a lot of top guys who might get a shot next, like Joe Stevenson or maybe the winner of his fight with Din.

14. In giving advice to the fighters on the newest season of The Ultimate Fighter, Jardine says to use the opportunity to become full time fighter. Kenny says take advantage of opportunity to train with the best guys, to exploit the exposure, and remember why you're on the show and what you want to do.

15. Keith says Chuck Liddell is one of the best fighters in the world who knows how to win and how to prepare. Says he's sure Chuck is approaching this fight like normal.
When asked to elaborate on losing "the excitement", says fighting Alexander -a guy he's never heard of - he just wasn't excited and wasn't having fun. Says that's all changed now, both because he's changed his outlook and because he's fighting Chuck.

16. Chuck says there are only modest modifications to how he's training for this fight versus previous fights. Says watching Randy's not affecting his decision to decide how long he fights. Says it's all about fighting as long as his body lets him and that if he can perform like Randy does at 45, he'll be around.

17. Chuck says he's not trying to make a statement in this fight. He says he wants to win big and look good, but doesn't think that will be a problem: "It's not something I worry about." Says if the fight goes his way, he's sure it'll be exciting.

18. Jardine says he didn't watch Alexander's last fight because he was at a football game..

19. Jardine says when he started training again after the loss to Alexander, he was helping other fighters get ready and that training to help them was fun. Says he got specific for his fight 7 or 8 weeks out. Says he's not burned out at all.
Jardine adds that some people make the mistake of training strictly for fights. Says when you work on developing your skill set, that's when you're having fun and when you get better.

20. Kenny says the lightweight division is exciting and that he gets to challenge himself. Admits the division is stacked, but adds that the challenges give him incentive. Says no matter what happens there are "Plenty of challenges left for me."
When asked to comment on the Hamill vs. Bisping decision, says it's important to not let a fight go to the judges. Says it's close, but he thought Hamill won. Says, though, there are bad calls or decisions in all sports. Says the outcome of a decision just depends on the night and who is out there.

21. Chuck says he'll fight anyone they want him to fight. Says he's disappointed about losing a fight and not having a title, but that he'll keep working at it until he gets it again.

22. When asked if trying to finish a fight can cause error, Kenny says going for broke to finish the fight can raise the risk, but says it's a balancing act between trying to finish and not overextending yourself.. Says you can't do things in a fight you haven't practiced. Adds that if you train to finish fights, you'll probably get the decision anyway.
Chuck also says if you are not finishing the fight is in your game plan, check your gameplan.

23. Chuck talks about The Ultimate Fighter reality show, saying it's more about the fights now. Says the first season would have fights every other show, but now they do it everytime. Says the show is evolving and is a great way to introduce new guys. Says he doesn't know if he'd coach again, but adds that no ones asked him to be a coach recently.

24. Kenny says he doesn't see people talking about steroids a lot on the "inside" of MMA. Says steroid use is not out in the open in MMA or anywhere. Says use is something people choose and that he thinks it's cheating.
When asked if there were a code among fighters to not snitch, Kenny says he's not sure if there's a code. Says that, regardless, "I'm not going to name names." Says he worries about what he's doing and that, "Who am I to say who's doing what?"
Chuck adds that its not his job to worry about what other people are doing. Unless you know the guy really well, it's speculation anyway.

25. Kenny says you can't realistically expect to test everyone for steroid use all the time He believes that random testing keeps people on their toes. Says finding a good testing method is also about being practical. Personally, says, "I'd like to see one random test a year."
Jardine says he thinks the current way fighters are tested is fine: "I don't think there's a problem." Says the penalty is also a big incentive not to use because most fighters don't make a lot of money and have to fight several times a year and that "I can't risk being out for a year."
Chuck believes the penalty - suspension for a year - will teach guys really quick. It's enough of an incentive for him and people he knows to not want to use. END OF CALL

Chuck Liddell not Likely to Make Changes (from Yahoo! Sports)

<!-- Print the time the article was posted --><!-- EMF updated style to include date + time -->Posted by MMA Junkie on September 18, 2007 at 1:24 pm ET
<!-- The article content -->
070918liddell.jpg
by Kevin Iole/Yahoo! Sports
(Reprinted from Yahoo! Sports with permission)

One of the reasons it’s so difficult for anyone who knows UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk well to believe he’s guilty of using anabolic steroids, as the California Athletic Commission has alleged, is his complete disdain for anything he feels may harm his body.
Sherk is so fanatical about caring for his body and what goes into it that he loathes walking through casinos because he doesn’t want to ingest second-hand smoke.
“The Iceman” Chuck Liddell, the former UFC light heavyweight champion, has never had such concerns.
Liddell, who fights “The Dean of Mean” Keith Jardine on Saturday in the pay-per-view main event of UFC 76 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., puts himself in those types of situations regularly, even days before his biggest fights.
He did it prior to knockout victories over Randy Couture. He was out on the town in the days before his two crushing wins over bitter rival Tito Ortiz.
But when he was spotted on the Las Vegas Strip well after midnight in the days before his title defense last May against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, suddenly it was big news.
And when he was spectacularly knocked out in the first round, his partying suddenly took on a different significance.
It went from “Oh, that’s just Chuck,” to “He’s crazy for extending himself like that so close to an important fight,” almost overnight.
But Liddell, as laid-back as ever, takes it in stride. He, perhaps more than any MMA fighter, understands how white-hot the spotlight has become.
“That’s how people are,” Liddell (20-4) says, bemusedly, of all the talk of his late-night ways since the loss to Jackson. “If I’d have knocked him out, nobody would have asked me about it. I was the one who got knocked out and all of a sudden, that’s the issue. Whatever.“
It didn’t help matters for Liddell that when he walked to the ring to face Jackson, he seemed to have a paunch around the waistline. Certainly, he wasn’t chiseled in granite like Jackson.
Even Liddell’s close friend, UFC president Dana White, wondered aloud about Liddell’s propensity to hit the nightclubs.
White would rather read about Liddell on the sports pages rather than in the gossip columns, which is where Liddell’s name appeared regularly before and after his fight with Jackson.
“Not just Chuck, but all fighters, that’s not a smart thing to do,” White said. “They should be in their rooms and getting rest. Chuck’s done that for a long time and he feels like he understands how to deal with it. He doesn’t drink and he’s not out there burning up all of his energy and so he thinks it’s fine.
“And, I have to say, it’s worked for him. Look at what he’s done. But it’s smoky in there and that crap gets in you, people are sick in there and they’re breathing on you, there are people coming up to shake hands and get autographs all night and that just has to suck the energy right out of you.“
But there’s also a guy in every family who can pretty much eat anything he wants and never put on a pound and he doesn’t have to go on a diet to get ready for the class reunion.
That’s how Liddell is and it’s why this is all nonsense. His late nights had nothing to do with his loss to Jackson.
A lazy left hook to the body from the outside and Jackson’s power and quickness were what determined it.
Liddell is perhaps the division’s most feared striker, but he’s not the plow-ahead type of puncher that someone like Mike Tyson had been. Liddell moves sideways as much as he moves forward and likes to lure his opponent to him, where he can then drop his crunching right.
But against Jackson, Liddell never saw an opening. He threw a left hook to the body from well outside and paid the price for it.
Jackson came over it with stunning quickness and power and blasted him with a right. It was Jackson’s ability and not Liddell’s late nights, which led to the outcome of that fight.
And that brings us to Jardine (12-3-1), who somehow finds himself in a main event despite losing in less than a minute in his last outing and a lack of high-profile wins. Had he beaten Houston Alexander on May 26 instead of being kayoed in 48 seconds, it’s unlikely he would have gotten the shot against Liddell.
But White likes the story line of two fighters who were knocked out in the first round trying to brawl their way back to the top.
Publicly, Liddell disputes the notion that Jardine doesn’t deserve the fight, but it’s also not his style to publicly criticize another fighter. When he’s talking about an opponent, he makes vanilla seem fancy.
“I don’t pay any attention to the talk or any of that stuff,” Liddell said. “Keith’s a good fighter. He’s a big, strong guy and he can punch. Look at all these fights where you thought one guy was going to win and it went the other way.
“You should know, this is one of those sports where you can’t take anyone for granted. Keith’s a dangerous guy.“
But Liddell, one of the game’s fiercest competitors, is plenty dangerous, too. And he knows that he’s got a huge fight against Wanderlei Silva ahead of him should, as expected, he get past Jardine.
So expect to see Liddell return to the winner’s circle in spectacular fashion, crumpling Jardine with one sort of power shot or another.
And expect to see him in the Anaheim nightclubs – both before and after he steps into the cage to take on Jardine.

would love to see forrest win, but thats doubtful :prayer

The doubtful is probably about 90% of the public's thinking. But I think this is a very good spot for Griffin! Get him (Rua) now and get him early (1st fight in the UFC).

Mike what game did you cash to bring you back in soccer?

I watched the liverpool game today.. pretty much a snoozefest.

mutosu,
any updates on Nate Diaz, wanting to know his progress

From what I have been seeing is that he has worked on his standup since his last fight. Standup and muscle mass has been his knock as a young fighter. That is why Gamburyan controlled him during their fight (only for 1 round until he dislocated his shoulder). Diaz doesnt have to worry about that tonight as Assuncao is also taller and skinny and is a submission fighter. With two young submission fighters in the ring, I have to go with the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter Diaz.

Nate's brother Nick will have him throwing bombs within his next couple fights.

UFC 76 quick preview, analysis and predictions

<SMALL class=metadata></SMALL>
ufc68predictions.jpg

UFC 76: “Knockout” is set for tomorrow (Saturday) night on September 22 from The Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
The pay-per-view (PPV) event airs at 10 p.m. ET. Remember: UFCmania.com will provide LIVE updates and blow-by-blow, round-by-round commentary of the main card action throughout the telecast.
It promises to be a great discussion as usual for an amazing line up of fights.
To get us pumped for the festivities UFCmania.com contributor Jesse Holland and the top poster for the site, “Spida,” went toe-to-toe below to try and predict the fighters who will leave the Octagon with their hands raised tomorrow evening.
I’m actually glad I sat out on this one — there are some very competitive and intriguing bouts on the card.
It’s important to note for the predicitions that while someone may be lauding a certain fighter, he isn’t necessarily the guy who he thinks is going to win.
Basically, we never want this to come out sounding repetitive — that happens enough on this site day in and day out. At the end of each analysis, therefore, you will see the individual picks.
Let’s get to it:
Chuck Liddell (20-4) vs. Keith Jardine (12-3-1)
Jesse Holland: What is there to say about Chuck Liddell? He’s one of the greatest strikers the UFC has ever seen. It’s not fair to question his legacy based on the losses to Rampage. Every fighter — even the great ones — has that one opponent they just can’t beat (Hughes/Hallman, Nog/Fedor, Jackson/Silva). I don’t expect Chuck to do anything differently in preparing for this fight nor should he. He’s made a career out of knocking out strikers and it’s not like anyone expects this to be a ground war. Jardine will bring his A-game and of course do all the right things but unfortunately it just won’t be enough. Liddell’s striking is the stuff of legend and Jardine’s is merely good. Like Rua/Griffin, it’s up to Chuck how long this one lasts. One thing’s for sure, it’s not going the distance.
UFCmania reader “Spida:” Keith Jardine is coming off a fight where he got highlighted by Houston Alexander. Everyone was expecting Jardine to win that fight, especially after stopping Forrest Griffin early in their fight back in December. To some fans this is a surprise for Jardine to get to fight the former champ after getting clobbered by a guy nobody had ever heard of; but, with a lack of other quality options and a match between Chuck and Wanderlei put on the back burner, the UFC made the match. Keith Jardine couldn’t be happier. He goes from fighting and losing to a guy he was supposed to dominate, to now fighting a guy everyone expects to knock him out in the first round. Talk about taking the pressure off. Jardine is now the guy with nothing to lose. If he loses to Chuck Liddell, who’s going to hold that against him? He can come into this fight and just fight. Still though, Keith Jardine has is work cut out for him. He has a very good coach in Greg Jackson, who’s fighters are always in great shape and ready to fight. He has KO power and we know Chuck can be put down. He’s shown in the past he has a tough chin, but he’ll want to stay away from testing that chin against Liddell. Jardine is going to have to be the counter puncher in this fight. If he goes right after Chuck then he’s going to probably get stopped, but if he sits back and lets Chuck come at him and is able to counter with strong combinations like he did against Forrest then he might just have a chance to win a couple rounds and possibly even get a stoppage himself. Chuck is used to fighting five-round fights where he’s able to take his time a little bit and look for knockouts. If Jardine can steal an early round and stay away from Chuck’s power, he might force Chuck to push the pace more than he wants to, which might put Jardine in position to win this fight late with a decision. I know it’s the unpopular pick to say this fight will go the distance, but that’s how I see it going down. I see a slow first round that could go to either guy. I see Chuck picking it up in the second and pushing the pace more and chasing Jardine a lot and getting counter punched and losing a close round. Then I see a frustrated Chuck Liddell getting completely out worked by an in shape Keith Jardine in the third and dropping a decision.
Final Predictions
Holland — Liddell via technical knockout
Spida — Jardine 29-28 in an upset special
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-2) vs. Forrest Griffin (14-4)
Jesse Holland: Since the less than stellar debuts of fighters like Mirko Cro Cop and Heath Herring the PRIDE resume is more flaw than awe, but all that is about to change with the debut of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. Shogun in my opinion is probably the second best fighter on the planet (behind Fedor). He knocked out current light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson with such ease it was almost comical. Of his 16 wins, only three have made it out of the first round. Add that to his 13 (T)KO’s and you have the definition of a “finisher” (sorry KenFlo). A loss to Babalu back in 2003 (when he was 21 and gassed in the third round) is the only blemish on his record. No points for Coleman’s win, see for yourself. Forrest Griffin is a tough guy and always brings it, but he is outmatched in every aspect. The only question is how long Rua allows the fight to go on.
UFCmania reader “Spida:” The best thing Forrest Griffin ever did was start training with Randy Couture. He looked great against Hector Ramirez. He fought smart and used some really nice leg kicks. Much like Keith Jardine against Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin has no pressure on him in this fight. Shogun Rua is one of, if not the best light heavyweight fighter in the world and nobody expects Forrest to last past the first round … much less win. Don’t tell that to Forrest Griffin, however. He says he matches up nicely with Shogun and likes his chances in the fight, and I agree. Forrest will have the crowd behind him, and that is huge. Having 20,000 screaming fans all cheering for you gives you a little extra adrenaline. Forrest is also used to fighting in the Octagon and with the UFC rules — Shogun is not. Shogun has won a lot of his big fights in Pride, including one over current UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson, using rules that allow kicks and knees to downed opponents. He was great at stomping his opponents when they were down and utilizing the soccer kicks. He won a lot of fights like that, but now he’ll have to adapt to the UFC rules, which don’t allow him to use his best weapon. Forrest will have to try and avoid the clinch and stay away from Shogun’s knees. He’ll have to continue to use leg kicks and counter combinations with his hands. I don’t see Forrest winning this fight by stoppage, but I can definitely see him taking two out of three rounds. Randy Couture will no doubt have Forrest in top shape, and Forrest will be ready to go. If he can stay away from Shogun’s power and stay busy with the kicks, he’ll win a close decision.
Final Predictions
Holland — Rua via technical knockout
Spida — Griffin via unanimous decision
Diego Sanchez (17-1) vs. Jon Fitch (14-2)
Jesse Holland: Jon Fitch is the best welterweight that no one is talking about. With all the hype surrounding Hughes vs. Serra on The Ultimate Fighter 6 (not to mention the increasingly delicate psyche of Georges St. Pierre), people may not appreciate the ramifications of Fitch vs. Sanchez. Assuming we see the Sanchez of old and not the zombie that “fought” Josh Koscheck, we may have a candidate for fight of the night. Fitch is 6-0 in the UFC and for good reason: He’s that damned good. Fitch is as dynamic as GSP and as ferocious as Sanchez, only he’s not in therapy and he’s not a religious zealot (so that ranks him higher in my book). He had his hands full in round one against Carneiro but like all great fighters he was able to adjust his game and turn it around for the win. He’s a superior wrestler and while I don’t expect him to keep Sanchez grounded, he will be the busier of the two. It’s going to be close but I see Fitch clearing his last hurdle on Saturday night.
UFCmania reader “Spida:” Diego Sanchez is 19-1 as a professional fighter(6-1 in the UFC). He holds wins over Karo Parisyan, Nick Diaz, Kenny Florian, Joe Riggs, John Alessio, and Brian Gassaway inside the Octagon. There is no question in anybody’s mind that Diego has the ability to win this fight and be one of the best in this division. What people do question is which Diego Sanchez is going to show up to fight Jon Fitch on Saturday night. Is it going to be the super aggressive Diego that dominated season one of The Ultimate Fighter? The guy that won every round against superstars Karo Parisyan and Nick Diaz? Or is it going to be the Diego who fought Josh Koscheck at UFC 69 with no emotion and no energy? There’s no question if it’s the latter, then Diego is in trouble against a top fighter like Jon Fitch. Fitch is the kind of fighter who is aggressive standing and on the ground, he’s strong, he’s smart, he’s a great wrestler, he defends submissions well, he gets out of trouble well, he’s just good. If it’s the former, then we got ourselves one hell of a fight, and where there’s a great fight involving Diego Sanchez, most of the time there’s going to be a Diego Sanchez hand raised at the end. Diego thrives against opponents who try to push the pace. He’s a great counter fighter on the ground and underrated on his feet. I’d say it’s about even in the stand up, about even in wrestling, they both have great cardio(I’ve never seen either one get tired). I know Diego has a great chin. Fitch’s chin hasn’t been tested too much yet, but Diego doesn’t have great KO power, so I’ll call that one a draw too. I’ll give the advantage to Diego on the ground, he‘s one of the best. And I’ll give the strength advantage and the clinch to Fitch. This is about as tough a fight to call as there is. I say both guys come out in round one and try to feel each other out with a little stand up, and as soon as both guys get comfortable we’re going to see a war. I see a long three-round fight with Diego winning three close rounds.
Final Predictions
Holland — Fitch via split decision
Spida — Sanchez via unanimous decision
Tyson Griffin (9-1) vs. Thiago Tavares (13-0)
Jesse Holland: Thiago Tavares is an unassuming lightweight who has quietly compiled a perfect 13-0 record, including two UFC wins over Naoyuki Kotani and the always-durable Jason Black. The wily Brazilian is a submissions master, ending roughly 75 percent of his fights by tap-out. He’s finished opponents with the standard triangle and rear naked choke as well as by heel hook, which makes it pretty clear that anytime spent on the ground is a risk. That’s important against Tyson Griffin, who may rely on his wrestling if Tavares refuses to strike. Griffin may be the toughest test to date, but Tavares is more than capable of remaining undefeated if he can keep it on the ground. Easier said than done but Griffin has been known to be overconfident. It’s up to Tavares to exploit that.
UFCmania reader “Spida:” This fight is going to be a fight of the year candidate. Both guys are really aggressive and it’s a classic wrestler vs. grappler. Tavares has great jiu jitsu and Muay Thai. He’s looked very good in two UFC fights and is 13-0 overall in his career, winning 10 of those fights by submission and one by TKO. He seems to have all the skills to be the next great superstar in the UFC lightweight division. Then there is Tyson Griffin, the only man to ever beat Urijah Faber, who is one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. He recently won a very close decision against a very tough opponent in Clay Guida. He is 9-1 in his career and has five TKOs and three submissions. So he too looks to have all the tools to one day compete for a lightweight title. Both of these guys like to push the action and they both try to end fights. This fight is going to be won by the fighter who can push the pace more without making mistakes. Tyson Griffin has a very, very tough chin and it will be hard for Tavares to knock him out. Tyson also has very nice hands, but Tavares has great Muay Thai, so I’d say the stand up is a push. On the mat the advantage has to go to Tavares, but both guys are so quick and strong that I just can’t see either one being submitted. I think both guys are so good that its going to be hard for one to stop the other or submit the other. When they come out in round one Tyson is going to try to keep the fight standing and he has great take down defense so he should be able to do that. He’ll work the double jab and throw in some upper cuts and combinations and win round one. Round two will start the same way, but will hit the mat and Tavares will work the submission game and take Tyson’s back late in the round but Tyson will be saved by the bell, round two to Tavares. Round three will be an all out scrap with both guys letting it all hang out.
Final Predictions
Holland — Griffin via unanimous decision
Spida — Griffin via split decision
Ryoto Machida (10-0) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (11-6)
Jesse Holland:
UFCmania reader “Spida:” Lyoto Machida has never been beaten in his MMA career. He holds wins over BJ Penn, Stephan Bonnar and Rich Franklin. He likes to keep fights standing, but is more of a defensive counter puncher, and since he’s so good at that style a lot of fighters are timid when they fight him because they don’t want to fall into his trap. This makes for a lot of his fights to be not so exciting. This one has some potential though. Nakamura is a tough dude who holds wins over Kevin Randelman and Bustamante. He’s also fought and lost to W. Silva, Shogun Rua, Lil Nog twice, Dan Henderson and Josh Barnett, so he has some experience fighting big names in big fights. All those guys are top fighters and there’s no shame in losing to them, but there’s no reason to think Machida won’t have similar success. Nakamura hasn’t fought in nine months and is new to the UFC Octagon and rules. Machida has two solid wins over decent opponents in the UFC (Sam Hoger and David Heath). I would say Machida in a unanimous decision because that’s usually how his fights end, but I think the first time UFC jitters and the nine-month layoff are going to get to Nakamura. I think sometime either late in the second or early in the third Nakamura is going to lean in with some kind of lazy punch and get laid out by a Lyoto Machida uppercut. Machida is finally going to have the opportunity to win some American fans in this fight.
Final Predictions
Holland — Machida via unanimous decision
Spida — Machida via knockout

UFC 76 Storylines (from Yahoo! Sports)

<!-- Print the time the article was posted --><!-- EMF updated style to include date + time -->Posted by MMA Junkie on September 21, 2007 at 2:30 pm ET
<!-- The article content -->
070210fitch.jpg
by Dave Doyle/Yahoo! Sports
(Reprinted from Yahoo! Sports with permission)

Have you had your fill of the Ultimate Fighting Championship yet? Well, the company isn’t about to let their fans take a break. The UFC presents their fourth card in the past four weeks with UFC 76: Knockout, live from the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. This show looks to be one of those sleeper shows, where you look at the card and aren’t impressed at first glance, but then look deeper and see the potential for an intriguing show.
Here are eight items worth following come Saturday night:

1. What’s up, Chuck?
“The Iceman” Chuck Liddell (20-4) is coming off the highest-profile loss in North American MMA history. UFC 71 drew more attention than any event the company has offered. Hundreds of thousands of newcomers watched Liddell get taken out in rapid fashion by Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. Those fans didn’t know much about how Chuck held the light heavyweight title for more than two years, and finished seven consecutive opponents before the loss. Can Liddell get back on the path to a title shot, or is his day in the sun done? Liddell takes step one on the road back when he faces “The Dean of Mean” Keith Jardine in the main event.

2. Can Jardine hang?
Jardine (12-3-1) is well aware of the talk. People are wondering whether the big banger from Montana by way of Albuquerque deserves a spot in the main event. Jardine caught everyone’s attention back at UFC 66 with his thrashing of Forrest Griffin, but was on the wrong end of just as strong a tail-kicking when he faced Houston Alexander at UFC 71. Jardine knows the only way to silence the critics is to go out and prove he belongs, in the biggest spotlight of his career.
3. Diego’s redemption? Diego Sanchez (17-1) appeared well on his way to a welterweight title shot, until he put in a listless performance in a unanimous decision loss to Josh Koscheck at UFC 69 in April. Since then, Sanchez has moved on from Greg Jackson’s camp in New Mexico and has aligned with Saulo Ribeiro’s University of Jiu-Jitsu in San Diego. With the 170-lb. title picture more crowded by the day, can Sanchez take out Jon Fitch and re-stake his claim among the top contenders?
4. Can Fitch step up? Fitch (14-2), meanwhile, is finally getting the sort of opportunity Sanchez has long been given. The former captain of the Purdue wrestling team garnered a rep as the guy no one wants to fight at 170 pounds. Fitch is so sound on the ground that big names have been afraid to take him on and get trapped. But Fitch forced the issue by winning all six of his UFC matches (13 overall), most in convincing fashion. Now he finally gets his chance in a second-billed attraction.
5. Enter the Shogun Light heavyweight Mauricio “Shogun” Rua makes his UFC debut amid as much fanfare as any fighter who has debuted in the octagon in recent months. And it is for a good reason: The Brazilian Chute Boxe standout is ranked No. 2 in the Y! Sports September monthly poll. His record is 16-2 and he’s finished 14 opponents. But so far, Pride graduates haven’t quite torched their way through the UFC the way it was long imagined in hardcore fantasyland. Will Rua prosper like Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, or will he falter like Mirko Cro Cop?
6. Can Forrest Griffin hang with the big boys? Forrest Griffin has himself a nice little niche in the UFC. With his Ultimate Fighter 1 fame, off-kilter personality, and most importantly, his reputation for putting on one exciting fight after another, Griffin has become one of the UFC’s most popular fighters. But despite his popularity and fan base, the Georgia native has yet to beat a top name. Can Griffin deliver against one of the biggest names in the sport?
7. How good is Tyson Griffin? Tyson Griffin (9-1) made his UFC debut a year ago Saturday at what was then known as the Pond in Anaheim, where he ran over David Lee. A year later, he returns to the building with a reputation for tremendous action. Griffin’s decision loss to Frank Edgar at UFC 67 is on the short list of 2007’s best fights. You can also say that about his controversial split-decision win over Clay Guida at UFC 72. His long-term future is secure due to his penchant for putting on a show for the fans, but will he be able to break through the pack in the lightweight division? He’ll take his next step against undefeated Brazilian Thiago Tavares (13-0), who looked sharp in dispatching Naoyuki Kotani and Jason Black on successive Ultimate Fight Nights earlier this year.
8. How much is too much? The UFC has given their fans plenty to watch over the past four weeks. It started with Randy Couture’s stirring win over Gabriel Gonzaga in the main event of UFC 74 on Aug. 25 in Las Vegas. Then came the much-discussed UFC 75 in England on Sept. 8 on Spike TV, which featured Jackson’s unification of the light heavyweight title with his decision win over Dan Henderson. Wednesday night features Ultimate Fight Night 11, with a stronger card than a standard UFN show. So, after getting a Couture win, a title fight on basic cable, and another free show, will fans shell out $40 to see a card with no title fights? That, quite literally, is a million-dollar question.

Performify’s Picks for UFC 76

Jeremy Stephens (-200) vs Diego Saraiva (+160)
An exciting battle between two lightweights both looking to score their first victory in the UFC. Jeremy “Lil’ Heathen” Stephens (9-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) represented a good bet as a relatively unknown +300 underdog in his octagon debut against Din Thomas at UFC 71, but is getting a lot more respect from the linesmakers this time out. Stephens fights out of Des Moines, about two hours up I35 from where I live. I’ve seen him fight in regional shows, most notably a fight in the Midwest Cage Championships organization in the middle of last year. Stephens, who trains with the Des Moines Mixed Martial Arts Academy in Iowa, holds the Midwest Cage Championship lightweight belt and had posted six consecutive victories fighting primarily for MCC and Greensparks Full Contact Fighting before getting called up to the big show. Stephens made a good showing in his debut before getting caught in an armbar by his veteran opponent. Since his UFC debut he rebounded with a first round TKO victory at Midwest Cage Championships 9 in July to defend his MCC lightweight title.
<IFRAME name=300x250 align=right marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://www.activeathletevector.com/OAS/AA_300x250.cfm?pub=tas.ufcjunkie&refresh_rate=60&refresh=yes" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME>Diego Saraiva is 9-5 in MMA and 0-2 in the UFC with unanimous decision losses to Dustin Hazelett at UFC 67 and Hazelett’s coach and training partner Jorge Gurgel at UFC 73 in early July. Saraiva is only 25 years old and is a BJJ blackbelt and a very decorated grappling record, including winning several North American Grappling Association (NAGA) belts and regional tournaments, and winning three gold medals in the Pan American Games. He has reportedly been focusing on his stand-up and conditioning in his training, trying to bring those aspects of his game up to the level of his excellent jiu jitsu.
This is likely going to turn to a traditional battle between a striker and a grappler. Stephens is generally balanced but does not have a top-tier ground game. He’s definitely got to be afraid of Saraiva’s sick jiu jitsu. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Saraiva pull guard from the outset and try to tie up Stephens long enough to work for a sub. Stephens’ camp will surely have him coached to try to quickly get back to his feet. It will be interesting to see which lightweight will be able to better implement their gameplan in this fight. Saraiva is not as “bad” as his record indicates and his grappling skills are definitely strong, however it takes more than just a decorated grappling record to find success in mixed martial arts these days. Saraiva certainly presents a valid threat to end the fight at any time with a submission, but I think Stephens will pull out a victory by TKO in the second round and represents an OK bet.
Christian Wellisch (-240) vs. Scott Junk (+190)
Scott Junk fights out of Hawaii where he holds the Maximum Fighting Championship Heavyweight Champion. Junk lost his first professional MMA fight to former UFC champion Ricco Rodriguez at Rumble on the Rock 7, but has gone on to win his next six consecutive fights to bring his professional record to 6-1.

Wellisch fights out of AKA and holds a 7-3 MMA record. He is 1-1 in the UFC. In his UFC debut, Wellisch suffered a first round TKO at the hands (or more specifically knees) of Cheick Kongo at UFC 62. Wellisch rebounded to defeat Anthony Perosh by unanimous decision at UFC 66. Wellisch has decent jiu jitsu, having won several US regional grappling tournaments including a Gracie Open.
While you’d think I’d be all over any Heavyweight named Junk… I’ve seen most of his fights and I’m not significantly impressed enough to pick him despite the favorable odds. Junk hits hard and definitely has a chance to shock Wellisch early with his heavy hands, however his conditioning is suspect and I expect we’ll see Wellisch get this fight to the ground early where he can simply outwork and tire the big man, leading to a submission in the later rounds. Wellisch also sports a significant edge in UFC experience — we’ll see how Junk’s already suspect cardio is affected by an early adrenaline dump. Take this with a grain of salt, however: Wellisch has not looked particularly impressive in his past UFC outings, so I wouldn’t recommend laying a lot of chalk here.
Matt Wiman (-290) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (+230)
Omigawa fights out of Japan’s world-famous Yoshida Dojo, training under decorated judoka Hidehiko Yoshida. Omigawa is, as you would expect, skilled in grappling and is a decorated judoka internationally. He holds a professional MMA record of 4-3, however it’s a bit deceiving — he started 1-3 after making the move to MMA from judo, but has won his last three fights — two of them by TKO.
Wiman was a contestant on the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show, and sports a 7-3 MMA record. Wiman is 1-1 in the UFC, losing in his debut in spectacular fashion via flying knee from Spencer Fisher but rebounded at The Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale to stop Brian Geraghty by TKO in the first round. Wiman trains at Mikey Burnett’s gym in Tulsa.
I think Omigawa represents a solid underdog play here. At +230 he’s being given less than a one-in-three chance of winning this fight, and I think his judo and grappling skills may just translate to a touch matchup for Wiman. I will predict Omagawa by referee stoppage in the second round — judo flip followed by some ground and pound.
Anthony Johnson (-200) vs. Rich Clementi (+160)
Anthony “Rumble” Johnson is another collegiate wrestler who has transitioned successfully to MMA. He sports a 4-0 MMA record and is 1-0 in the UFC after blasting Chad Reiner in only thirteen seconds at UFC Fight Night 10 back in mid-June. Johnson faces off against veteran fighter Rich “No Love” Clementi. Clementi was a participant on The Ultimate Fighter season four, “The Comeback.” Clementi holds an extensive 25-12 MMA record and has been fighting professionally since 1999. Clementi lost his first two fights in the UFC — a unanimous decision loss to Caol Uno at K1 Hero’s 4 (March 2006) and a loss to Din Thomas at the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 4 — before rebounding with a “gimme” victory over Ross Pointon at UFC Fight Night 8. Clementi’s one fight win streak was then was derailed by Roan Carneiro at UFC Fight Night 9. Clementi then jumped outside the UFC recently to fight in the IFO. There — on the undercard of Travis Wiuff vs. Sean Salmon — Clementi secured a first round submission victory to return to winning ways.
This is a good test for Johnson. We’ve seen thirteen seconds on him, and a decisive victory over the veteran Clementi should establish Johnson’s name as someone to watch at 170 pounds. Johnson by TKO in the first round.
Tyson Griffin (-165) vs. Thiago Tavares (+135)
This lightweight battle could steal the show as fight of the night despite being sandwiched between some really big names on the main card. Tyson Griffin is 23 years old and rolls in with an 9-1 MMA record, mostly from the Gladiator Challenge series where he previously held their bantamweight title. Griffin made his UFC debut on the undercard of UFC 63 (Hughes vs. Penn) where he dominated David Lee, finishing him with a rear naked choke. He then fought Frank Edgar at UFC 67, where he lost a unanimous decision. Griffin most recently won a controversial split decision over Clay Guida at UFC 72 in mid-June. Most impressively, he also holds a previous TKO victory over “the California Kid” Urijah Faber (19-1 MMA) who currently holds the WEC 145-pound championship title. Griffin now trains under Randy Couture at Xtreme Couture.
<IFRAME name=300x250 align=right marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://www.activeathletevector.com/OAS/AA_300x250.cfm?pub=tas.ufcjunkie&refresh_rate=60&refresh=yes" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME>Thiago Tavares hold a perfect 13-0 professional MMA record and fights out of Brazil, if you couldn’t guess from his prototypical Brazilian names. Tavares won his first fight by decision back in 2003, and since then has reeled off ten wins by submission and one by TKO. The Brazilian is 2-0 in the UFC with victories over Naoyuki Kotani at UFC Fight Night 9 and Jason Black at UFC Fight Night 10. He has been training for this fight with Brazilian Top Team under Murilo Bustamante and Bebeo Duarte and alongside Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira.
This should be an interesting battle. Griffin is a strong wrestler with great flexibility and decent boxing, and Tavares is a submission wizard with solid muay thai. Both are incredibly young to be this successful, with Griffin at 23 and Tavares at 22. This fight will likely help define the future of the lightweight division — with both fighters this young and this successful, a war here could actually set up one or more rematches between the two down the line. If Tavares wins, Joe Silva will likely give him a shot at being a top contender by matching him up with one of the bigger names at lightweight. Likewise, a victory by Griffin would help establish him as a legitimate contender and would help to erase questions raised from the suspect decision against Guida at UFC 72.
The current odds have this at approximately a 60-40 battle in Griffin’s favor. I like Tavares to win this fight, but I don’t think its worth a serious bet at the current odds. I’ll predict Tavares by submission late in what could be a fantastic fight.
Jon Fitch (-115) vs. Diego Sanchez (-115)
Jon Fitch is 14-2 in MMA and 6-0 in the UFC. His impressive MMA record is made even more so when you realize his two losses came in his first three fights — he’s 13-0 since 2003. Fitch is well-rounded, possessing strong wrestling, grappling, boxing, and has a size and strength advantage on most of his opponents in the welterweight divsion.
Diego Sanchez is 17-1 in MMA and 6-1 in the UFC. He is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Josh Koscheck at UFC 69 in early April. Sanchez was the winner of the welterweight division of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, courtesy of a dramatic first round knockout of Kenny Florian at the Ultimate Fighter I finale. Sanchez has built his impressive MMA record with wins over Nick Diaz, Karo Parisyan, and a dramatic first round knockout of Joe Riggs at UFC Fight Night 7 in December 2006. Sanchez formerly trained with Greg Jackson’s camp out of New Mexico but split with the team this summer (see: Report: Diego Sanchez Has Left Team Jackson). Sanchez is skilled in submissions and is a tremendously strong and fast striker on his feet. Sanchez still has a dangerous guard and certainly has the explosiveness to sweep or scramble out if he’s put on his back.
Most of the “sharp” bettors have been heavy on Fitch in this matchup. He certainly presents a lot of style problems for Sanchez: he’s bigger and stronger. He’s got better wrestling, better boxing, and is no slouch on the ground with a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It’s going to be a tough fight for Sanchez, and it’s obviously an important one — a win against a big name (and solid record) like Fitch will put Sanchez right back in title contention at 170, especially based on the fact that his last loss was “tainted” more than a little by the news of his subsequent hospitalization for a very serious staph infection.
This will be Fitch’s first fight against someone generally considered at the top tier of the welterweight division. It will be interesting to see if he responds to the challenge. I recommend avoiding this fight at the current line — I know a lot of sharp MMA bettors love Fitch even at this price. This isn’t based on a lot of technical analysis, it’s more gut feel, but its still enough to keep me from moving much weight on Fitch at the current line. I feel Sanchez is going to come out with a huge chip on his shoulder after the staph infection disaster against Koscheck and is going to put on an impressive performance to catapult his name back to the top of the 170-pound contender list. But I’m not going to be surprised if Fitch dominates this fight start to finish, either.
Lyoto Machida (-200) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (+160)
Lyoto Machida represents a terrible style matchup for just about everyone he faces — he’s a focused and cautious and disciplined counter-striker. Machida is a Brazilian and at 28 has a bright future in MMA with a 10-0 record, 2-0 in the UFC. Machida has a strong background in karate courtesy his father, Japanese Brazilian Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida. Lyoto has also trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, where he holds a purple belt under Alexi Cruz. After Machida’s second fight, he came under the tutelage of Japanese icon Antonio Inoki.
Among Machida’s ten victories are two fights against top-tier talent: a well-publicized knockout win of Rich Franklin back in 2003, and a fight with BJ Penn in March 2005, where Penn was fighting up two full weight classes and Lyoto won a close — and to some, controversial — decision. Machida’s two fights in the UFC are both unanimous decision victories, over Sam Hoger at UFC 67 and David Heath at UFC 70.
<IFRAME name=300x250 align=right marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://www.activeathletevector.com/OAS/AA_300x250.cfm?pub=tas.ufcjunkie&refresh_rate=60&refresh=yes" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME>Kazuhiro Nakamura is a teammate of Michihiro Omigawa and likewise fights out of Japan’s world-famous Yoshida Dojo, training under decorated judoka Hidehiko Yoshida. Nakamura is a veteran of PRIDE, with a 11-6 MMA record comprised of notable wins over Murilo Bustamante, Kevin Randleman, and Igor Vovchanchyn and losses to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, and Josh Barnett.
Machida represents a solid bet at these odds, in my opinon. His counter skills, strength and balance are pretty much the exact opposite of Nakamura’s strenghts of aggressiveness, takedowns and throws. Look for Machida to pepper Nakamura from the outside with strikes and “stay on his bicycle” — constanly backing around the cage while countering and stuffing the occasional shot, on his way to securing a decisive albeit likely boring unanimous decision.
Mauricio Rua (-295) vs. Forrest Griffin (+235)
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua is by far the most anticipated signing in the UFC’s history to date, in my opinion. Rua is universally regarded as the best 205-pound fighter in the world with a 13-2 MMA record and notable wins over Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Alistair Overeem, Kevin Randleman, and Ricardo Arona. Rua’s two losses are a freak accident TKO loss to Mark “The Hammer” Coleman where he fractured his arm being taken down, and a submission loss to Rentao “Babalu” Sobral early in his career.
Forrest Griffin remains of the most popular UFC fighters after winning the first season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show. Griffin holds a 14-4 MMA record and is 5-2 in the UFC. Griffin is coming off a tough loss at the hands of Keith Jardine at UFC 66 and then a tenative rebound victory over Hector Ramirez at UFC 72. Griffin was supposed to have fought Lyoto Machida at UFC 70, however was sidelined from the fight with a nasty staph infection. Griffin now looks to get his career back on the fast track by trying to upset one of the best fighters in the world.
Too many people are making too much of a big deal about “Shogun” losing access to his trademark stomps and soccer kicks by moving in to the UFC octagon from the PRIDE ring. Don’t forget — he can still soccer kick. He just can’t kick a downed opponent in the face. If he’s given the opportunity, don’t think you won’t see him take a swing at Griffin’s body with a kick. He can also adapt his trademark stomps in to legal axe kicks to the body from the same standing position. Second, and more importantly, Rua gains access to elbows. And he’s not someone who is unfamiliar with elbow attacks. In fact, Rua has demonstrated some very amazing and unconventional elbow attacks in the gym and in seminars. I don’t expect that we’ll necessarily get to see anything unconventional on display here, but don’t be surprised to see elbows as a significant — and devastating — part of Rua’s gameplan
Griffin has better skills than many give him credit for, especially his ground game. His jiu jitsu skills are very underrated. However, I don’t believe he’s going to have an answer for Rua’s many weapons, and I look for him to lose by referee stoppage in the second round. Griffin’s wild swinging standup skills certainly give him a chance of pulling the upset, but its not a significant enough chance to warrant a wager in my opinion. Griffin is getting approximately a 30% chance to win this fight, and I think that line is pretty reasonably set. Shogun by TKO in the second.
Chuck Liddell (-450) vs. Keith Jardine (+300)
Chuck “the Iceman” Liddell is one of the UFC’s most dominant fighters in history. His place in the UFC Hall of Fame is assured. Liddell’s impressive 20-4 MMA record runs through a “who’s who” of MMA, from his debut way back in 1998 at UFC 17 to TKO victory over Tito Ortiz at UFC 66. Liddell has great footwork, amazing punching power, fantastic ability to punch and counterpunch from any angle, and one of the best sprawls in MMA. He’s coming off a fast first round KO loss to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 71, his first loss since losing to Jackson in November 2003 in PRIDE.
Keith Jardine comes in to this fight with a 12-3 MMA record and is 4-2 in the UFC. Personally, I’d put an asterisk next to Jardine’s record, as he should be 5-1 but was blatantly robbed of a decision against Stephan Bonnar at UFC Fight Night 4. Jardine comes in as a heavy underdog after a dismantling at the hands of Omaha-based Houston Alexander at UFC 71.
Jardine has mentioned in interviews that he thought that matchmaker Joe Silva was joking when he offered him the Liddell fight. I know a lot of fans feel the same way, questioning why Jardine is being given a shot against one of the biggest names in MMA. I think its a no-lose situation for Jardine and that makes him dangerous — if he loses, while its two in a row, the UFC isn’t going to drop him and he’s only suffered a loss at the hands of a heavily-favored opponent who is considered among the top of the stacked 205-pound division. However, if he can pull off the upset, he’ll instantly establish some of the luster he lost when he was dismantled by Alexander at UFC 71.
As always with a Liddell fight, the question here is if age and partying have finally caught up to “the Iceman” or if he’s still got enough gas in the tank to take this fight. Personally I think he’s got a lot to prove after getting dominated by Jackson, and I think he’s going to come out and put Jardine on the canvas early in the first round. Jardine has to be feeling a bit tentative coming off the beating he took at the hands of Alexander, and with Liddell’s counterpunching skills I’m not sure where Jardine can take this from a strategy perspective that doesn’t end up with Big John McCarthy standing over him waving his arms. Liddell by TKO in the first.
Recommended plays:
  • Jeremy Stephens (-200) : .5u to win .25u
  • Christian Wellisch (-240) : .24u to win .1u
  • Michihiro Omigawa (+230) : .1u to win .23u
  • Anthony Johnson (-200) : .5u to win .25u
  • Thiago Tavares (+135) : .2u to win .27u
  • Jon Fitch (-115) vs. Diego Sanchez (-115) : take Fitch if he gets back towards even money.
  • Lyoto Machida (-200) : 6u to win 3u
  • Mauricio Rua (-295) : 1.5u to win .5u for action junkies only
  • Chuck Liddell (-450) vs. Keith Jardine (+300) : small play on Jardine at or above +300 if you are a fellow degen only

Fitch didnt make weight the 1st go around. Came in at 172. He had 1 hr to lose a pound. He came back an hour later and he had lost the pound.

But at what cost?

The weigh ins:

Liddell looked the best he has for a long, long time

Jardine looked the same. Some were saying that he looked lousy, I thought he looked normal.

Rua looked soft. Once he puts one the weight back on from cutting down, he will look even softer and more out of shape.

Griffin was absolutley ripped. His abs were chissled (sp?)

Nakamura was the clown of the weigh-ins. Looked a litle chubby.

Machida also looked soft. Some were saying, I didnt look to confirm, that he useally fights around 199.

Tyson Griffin and Tavareswere both pretty much all muscle

Jon Fitch -115 3 units
Tyson Griffin -146 3 units
Kazuhiro Nakamura 196 1 unit

I was with you on the Fitch fight until the weigh in. I hate it when they come in heavy or light. Too many unknowns about their camp at that point. I feel like I am trying to find a reason to bet Fitch, trying to go against Sanchez because I cant stand him.

Tyson Griffin fight I could go either way.

Same with Machida/Nakamura. Probably lean Machida.

The only fight I am betting is the Forrest fight. Though he is a heavy underdog, the other fights I see as coin flips.

Im not too worried about Fitch comming in one pound over. He's a big welter weight and it didnt take him long to take the weight off.

Taking Tim Sylvia +168 5 units for UFC 77

WOW!!!

Forrest wins by rear naked choke with 10 seconds to go!

AND

Chuck loses by decision!!!

Liquidnoose, great job!!! Dogs in UFC have LOTS of value!!

This was probably the best card from top to bottom that I have seen for quite a while. Out of the 5 fights shown, the MAchida/Nakamura fight was the only "lousy" one.

Griffin/Tavares was a clinic in BJJ/submissions and how to defend them. It was nonstop for 3 rounds. This fight is exactly the reason why I hate American mma fans (I am American). After about 90 secs the fans were starting to boo. I HATE that! Then it was on after that. Griffin has really stepped his game up. That is the best I have seen him.

Machida/Nakumura was 1 sided from the start. Machida did what he wanted all fight. Nakumura didnt show like I thought he would have. Thought he actually had a chance.

Fitch/Sanchez was an excellent fight. I dont think this loss will hurt Sanchez. He fought very well. Very close decision.

Griffin/Rua was my only bet and I was on Griffin. I thought Griffin was in trouble in the 1st round but he handled Rua nicely. I gave the 1st round to Griffin. The 2nd round I also gave to Griffin because Rua only landed the 1 elbow that cut open Griffin. Other than that Rua left his arm down, didnt do much and Griffin forced the pace, though he was gassed too. The 3rd round was all Griffin Rua was done.

I dont want to here another word (this board hasnt done it) about Rua and how he could TKO the Devil himself. He had/has holes in his game and they got exploited! Little different when you cant stomp and kick the head?

Are we ready for a Griffin Wanderlie Silva fight New Years Eve weekend?

Liddell/Jardine was a great boxing/kickboxing match. I think Liddell is done. I balked at the the thought that he was done after just 1 loss, Rampage. But he may be. Has noting to do with the 'Page loss, but more to do with him not evolving....any....at all. He has 2 weapons, left fist and a right fist. If he doesnt land those, he isnt scoring points. So how does he win? Jardine had a great gameplan and executed it to perfection. Have to give him credit.

so who is Houston Alexander going to fight??? ugh

Contradictory to say how stacked the division is, but there is no one for him to fight.

Griffin probably will fight Silva now. There is 2 fighters gone.

'Page fights the winner of that fight. 'Page is out.

Dan Henderson will probably go down to MW. He is out.

Nogueira will stay in the HW division and should be fighting Couture.

Oriz and Rashad are fighting.

I dont think they would throw him in there with Liddell. FOr both of their sakes. Lidell loses, that is 3 in a row. If Houston gets KO'ed with 1 punch, there he goes back down because that is all Liddell has.

Nakumura looked like shit in his beat down by Machida.

And that leaves Machida, I would think. Machida is very formidable, but lacks the "big" name that the UFC is trying to put Houston in there with.

This is for the immediate future. If he waits until March or past then, some others would be available because they would have already fought.

Good post fight interview with Forrest after his win against Shogun

http://ufcmania.com/2007/09/25/forr...ht-interview-after-win-over-shogun-rua-video/

</EMBED><!-- <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:trackback="http://madskills.com/public/xml/rss/module/trackback/"> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://ufcmania.com/2007/09/25/forrest-griffin-ufc-76-post-fight-interview-after-win-over-shogun-rua-video/" dc:identifier="http://ufcmania.com/2007/09/25/forrest-griffin-ufc-76-post-fight-interview-after-win-over-shogun-rua-video/" dc:title="Forrest Griffin UFC 76 post-fight interview after win over Shogun Rua (Video)" trackback:ping="http://ufcmania.com/2007/09/25/forrest-griffin-ufc-76-post-fight-interview-after-win-over-shogun-rua-video/trackback/" /></rdf:RDF> -->

UFC 76: Fighter paydays and salaries for ‘Knockout’

<SMALL class=metadata></SMALL>
ufcsalary.jpg

UFCmania.com has received the fighter payouts for UFC 76: “Knockout” from the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) for the event held on September 22 at The Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
The big money winner? Chuck Liddell. The “Iceman” hauled in a cool half-million for his split-decision loss to Keith Jardine.
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua — the PRIDE FC superstar — brought home the next highest purse with $150,000 for the losing effort in his Octagon debut. And Ryoto Machida pocketed $50,000 to remain unbeaten.
Here are all the UFC 76 payouts:
Keith Jardine — $14,000
Chuck Liddell — $500,000
Jardine defeated Liddell via split decision
Forrest Griffin — $44,000
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua — $150,000
Griffin defeated Shogun via submission (rear naked choke) in round three
Jon Fitch — $44,000
Diego Sanchez — $22,000
Fitch defeated Diego Sanchez via split decision
Ryoto Machida — $50,000
Kazuhiro Nakamura — $20,000
Machida defeated Nakamura via unanimous decision
Tyson Griffin — $24,000
Thiago Tavares — $9,000
Griffin defeated Thiago Tavares via unanimous decision
Matt Wiman — $16,000
Michihiro Omigawa — $5,000
Wiman defeated Omigawa via unanimous decision
Jeremy Stephens — $6,000
Diego Saraiva — $3,000
Stephens defeated Saraiva via unanimous decision
Christian Wellisch — $14,000
Scott Junk — $4,000
Wellisch defeated Junk via submission (heel hook) in round one
Rich Clementi — $24,000
Anthony Johnson — $5,000
Clementi defeated Johnson via submission (rear naked choke) in round two
Keep in mind the salaries listed above do not include fight bonuses, sponsorships, percentages and other unofficial payments. For example, fighters receive bonuses for “Submission of the Night,” “Fight of the Night,” and others.
In fact, UFC President Dana White announced at the post-event press conference that Griffin earned a $40,000 bonus for his late third round submission of Shogon. Tyson Griffin and Thiago Tavares each earned $40,000 for their electrifying scrap. There was no bonus awarded for a knockout on the “Knockout” card because no one got knocked out.
The total fighter payroll for the UFC 76 was $954,000.

Here are all the UFC 76 payouts:
Keith Jardine — $14,000
Chuck Liddell — $500,000:36_11_6:

Back