UFC 254 Discussion

Rokhomonov looks interesting

Alvarez and Hawes were great last fights

I like Kenney over Wood but others like wood. I worry that kenney isn't fully recovered , quick turn around. Fight is super intriguing.

I love Gaethje. If he can sprawl and stay up right, he says he needs 4 hard strikes and everything is going to change.

I'm guessing smart money on Khabib, idk

Gaethje trains at elevation. He is a learned man when it comes to understanding his body and his strategy.

It does seem like experts and fans alike see Whitaker as no brainer. Nobody talks about Cannonier being 185 but having power of heavyweight. I just put a fair bit on him at -115. We will see how week goes but I know I'm putting more on him.

Last edited:
For as unfortunate the loss to Overeem was for Harris. He almost had him and basically gassed. Not a great look but he is no clown.

I bet Hardy verse Volkov cuz even tho Hardy was newbie he had power and speed. He broke his hand 1st round and fight was very, very different.

I just think if /when Harris tags Russian upside head, he is crumbling..

Long live Walt Harris

For as unfortunate the loss to Overeem was for Harris. He almost had him and basically gassed. Not a great look but he is no clown.

I bet Hardy verse Volkov cuz even tho Hardy was newbie he had power and speed. He broke his hand 1st round and fight was very, very different.

I just think if /when Harris tags Russian upside head, he is crumbling..

Long live Walt Harris
Like you said. Only question is harris’ cardio

Not exaggerating. I am a grown man. I have no tattoos, but I could be talked into getting one of Gaethje. I love his crazy eyes and the way he fights.

Not that Gaethjes path to victory ever was a decision. Khabib will never lose a decision in Abu Dhabi. If you play Gaethje, play a finish ko prop. +450

Last edited:
I hit under 4.5 rounds in the Khabib fight. Just think this will not go long with Khabib's ground game like how he made both Conor and Poirier tap out. Also on the other side don't underestimate the striking game of Gaethje. We all know he throws bombs. He catches Khabib and it's lights out for him. Paid -165 so a little pricey.

I hit under 4.5 rounds in the Khabib fight. Just think this will not go long with Khabib's ground game like how he made both Conor and Poirier tap out. Also on the other side don't underestimate the striking game of Gaethje. We all know he throws bombs. He catches Khabib and it's lights out for him. Paid -165 so a little pricey.

it’s pretty simple to me. This fight comes down to 2 things. First can Gaethje defend the takedown and/or get up if he gets taken down, and 2nd can he land something significant to earn khabib’s respect? If he can’t, khabib is gonna stalk him around that cage and bully him like he did with Conor. He had zero fear of being hit by anything from Conor and was able to fight his fight at his pace. If Justin can land big early it will at least make khabib hesitate some and not be so fwd pressure heavy. Against Tony he knew it was strictly a striking match, had no threat of it going to the ground, can he be as aggressive knowing one missed kick or punch and he could be on his back?

Cannonier is a super solid person and about to show out.

At this point, this is about the biggest bet I ever made. I'm down. Let's go.

Last edited:
People forget that while Gaethje dominated Tony, he was probably 20 seconds from getting stopped at the end of round 2 I believe. Ferguson caught him w that huge uppercut that dropped him right before the horn. Had the round had more time he was in serious serious trouble

His limited body of work at MW doesn't concern you?

I appreciate you asking me to check myself. It's always interesting to handicap the effect of a fighter changing class. Sometimes it is unclear to me, not with Cannonier. He was 236 in 2015 without any nutrition or true martial artist training. He fought big HWs and LHWs. His power translates scarily and he is not slow. It works big time. I trust he has learned from his wandering loss to Jan and wild ko with Reyes 20 lbs ago.

Reyes caught him at light HW and I do fear that if Whitaker hurts him it is thru hi leg kick. He has fought three times at MW. All super solid, Anderson Silva may be past peak but taking him out in Brazil is awe inspiring. Hermanson is very tuff but once he felt the power he was like fuck this. He was scared. Cannonier is peaking. He passes my eye test. Challenges against Blachowitcz and Branch is more great seasoning. Cannonier is certainly not afraid of Whitaker.

I love Whitaker and he may look kind of stacked at 185 to mere mortals but not Cannonier. Jared will look much bigger in cage. Cannonier has 4" reach, Izzy about 6.5". Whitaker wants to take it to the mat, go ahead, I'm 100% certain Cannonier will blast out. Jared is a martial artist not just a knock out dude.

Whitaker literally gets knocked down every fight. Til took him down in 1st and imo Till is about as overrated as any fighter anyway. That fight was ugly. Till was on one leg. Whitaker fought ugly and barely won. Wonder boy knocked out Whitaker out at 170lbs. I dont want to hear about Yoel. He is way overrated. His olympic wrestling has not translated well at all. He fights slow than tries something explosive. Souza is same kind of dude, durable but not exactly scary. Jared is much bigger too.

There ages seem opposite as Jared is 7 years older but since 2015 he is on a very real upward trajectory. Adesanya, Dana and Shelby certainly think so. Quite frankly, I'm shocked at the love for Whittaker, but whatever.

I will admit listening to Chael breakdown this fight I wanted to fight him. He got it all wrong. Every analyst is on the Reaper. That's fine. I'm comfortable making a big bet with Cannonier. I trust him with my money. Oh he can lose, but this is no coin flip fight. I think Cannonier should be minimally be -200. I think BOL opened him at -145 and it was immediately bet down. It will be interesting if line actually does flip. If it does I'm betting more. My back is up and I am invested in the Killa Gorilla.

Last edited:
This is how Cannonier lost to Reyes at 205. I will put it here as a jinx block.

ROUND 1​

Cannonier runs into a knee from the southpaw Reyes but comes over the top to clip the unbeaten Californian with a right hand. An off-balance Reyes tries to step inside with another knee and gets knocked to the ground. Reyes jumps up and grabs one of Cannonier's legs to try an early takedown; Cannonier is having none of it and pushes him away. Reyes lands several hard leg kicks, his best offense through the first half of the round. Cannonier continues to pressure and walks into an uppercut from Reyes, and suddenly the tables have turned. Now it's Reyes on the offensive, stalking Cannonier around the outside. High kicks don't find the mark, so Reyes sizes up Cannonier for a lead uppercut that lands clean and puts Cannonier on the ground, face first. Reyes turns around and strolls off; Cannonier wakes up from the flash knockout and springs back to his feet, but it's too late, as referee Marc Goddard has already stopped the fight.

Last edited:
I appreciate you asking me to check myself. It's always interesting to handicap the effect of a fighter changing class. Sometimes it is unclear to me, not with Cannonier. He was 236 in 2015 without any nutrition or true martial artist training. He fought big HWs and LHWs. His power translates scarily and he is not slow. It works big time. I trust he has learned from his wandering loss to Jan and wild ko with Reyes 20 lbs ago.

Reyes caught him at light HW and I do fear that if Whitaker hurts him it is thru hi leg kick. He has fought three times at MW. All super solid, Anderson Silva may be past peak but taking him out in Brazil is awe inspiring. Hermanson is very tuff but once he felt the power he was like fuck this. He was scared. Cannonier is peaking. He passes my eye test. Challenges against Blachowitcz and Branch is more great seasoning. Cannonier is certainly not afraid of Whitaker.

I love Whitaker and he may look kind of stacked at 185 to mere mortals but not Cannonier. Jared will look much bigger in cage. Cannonier has 4" reach, Izzy about 6.5". Whitaker wants to take it to the mat, go ahead, I'm 100% certain Cannonier will blast out. Jared is a martial artist not just a knock out dude.

Whitaker literally gets knocked down every fight. Til took him down in 1st and imo Till is about as overrated as any fighter anyway. That fight was ugly. Till was on one leg. Whitaker fought ugly and barely won. Wonder boy knocked out Whitaker out at 170lbs. I dont want to hear about Yoel. He is way overrated. His olympic wrestling has not translated well at all. He fights slow than tries something explosive. Souza is same kind of dude, durable but not exactly scary. Jared is much bigger too.

There ages seem opposite as Jared is 7 years older but since 2015 he is on a very real upward trajectory. Adesanya, Dana and Shelby certainly think so. Quite frankly, I'm shocked at the love for Whittaker, but whatever.

I will admit listening to Chael breakdown this fight I wanted to fight him. He got it all wrong. Every analyst is on the Reaper. That's fine. I'm comfortable making a big bet with Cannonier. I trust him with my money. Oh he can lose, but this is no coin flip fight. I think Cannonier should be minimally be -200. I think BOL opened him at -145 and it was immediately bet down. It will be interesting if line actually does flip. If it does I'm betting more. My back is up and I am invested in the Killa Gorilla.
Great thoughts brotha.
Myself I'm on Whittaker small... can't overplay his experience.

I love Gaethje. If he can sprawl and stay up right, he says he needs 4 hard strikes and everything is going to change.

I'm guessing smart money on Khabib, idk

Gaethje trains at elevation. He is a learned man when it comes to understanding his body and his strategy.
I watch the Khabib-Porier fight again. If Justin gets in what Dustin accomplished on the feet we could see a surprise and things could change. Amazing how predictable Khabib's game plan is but nobody can stop it. Successful leg kicks from Justin is going to be a factor too.

I watch the Khabib-Porier fight again. If Justin gets in what Dustin accomplished on the feet we could see a surprise and things could change. Amazing how predictable Khabib's game plan is but nobody can stop it. Successful leg kicks from Justin is going to be a factor too.
Exactly. All of that. Gaethje definitely is worth a bet. Khabib looked a bit bigger, as did Whitaker :( but its nominal. Porier did look petrified of some reactionary takedown too. John Fitch says the grip of Khabib is so strong it shocks even the most seasoned. This fight has the potential to be all that. I havent bet it myself. Have you?

Its going to be ideal tomorrow for me. Fights start at 8:30 AM with amazing college football to complement. Its frigid with another big storm rolling thru tomorrow. That fire is going to be hot early. That bulletproof coffee is going to be drank and I am going to be in the zone.

Back